Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could start over in FPV what would you do or not do?

If i was to do it all over again. I`d do pretty much what i did in the first place, but then stop..................

How i mean was, i sat for hours, reading learning, and came up with ............ Buy good gear first time round

Then everything is peachy, but after a job loss funds were tight, after a few crashes i decided to buy cheap to save the pennies and its just false economy. Poor quality, poor picture, a big let down to what i was use to.

Another regret was buying an Easystar, everyone flew one and it seemed the logical choice. But after trying others now, the EZ* i feel now is actually a crap airframe. Its not terrible, but there are much much better planes out there that do everything better than it. A Skywalker for example is head over heels better than an Easystar in every aspect and for me makes for a much better first Fpv airframe.

So research, buy propper branded gear like Immersion and have a much better experiance in the first place instead of suffering sub standard gear and thinking " is this it ???? "
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then no one is thinking."

- Benjamin Franklin

I believe more or less everything has been said. From my own experience:

1. LRS must be the FIRST thing. Don't loose time with 2.4GHz boosters, antennas, etc. You will crash or loose your plane at a much higher cost than a LRS.

2. Buy good video gear, and build your plane around it.

3. Pan&Tilt and head-tracking sounds cool, but it is useless. Invest this money in better video gear.

4. Everyone has got his own preferences, but I would never buy another easystar, easyglider or stuff like this. They fly OK, but they are soooo boring...

unplugged
    The further along in this journey I go the more I think. . . . KISS (Keep It Stupid Simple). Works for me and makes troubleshooting easier.
    I used to think features features features, now it's quality quality quality.
    I am thinking I should of chosen 1280 though. Maybe I just need a couple of 2.4 setups and a couple of 1.2 setups, hmmmm

could quit if I wanted to volto's Avatar
    I agree with most of the above statements, except I don't think pan/tilt & headtracking is useless, quite the opposite, you can look into corners and avoid trees and stuff while you are turning. If I had to do it all again I would have gotten a better RC transmitter. You aren't gonna lose it and it's probably the best investment for a good FPV experience.

Banned
    readymade rc is the sheet! i got 2.4 .. duo and patch antenna 1 time .. 3500 ft up 5 miles away .. o and i used LRS thomas sherrer

I wouldnt have started with an easystar...

Starting with crappy gear taught me how to stay within its limits, and how to recognize when you are getting to the limits - without having to search km's and km's! I would do everything over again. I appreciate how far i've come, and how far the communities and equipment have come since I got into it in 2007.

Granted, I'd love to be able to afford top notch gear, but I have plenty of fun with what I can afford, and learned how to make the best of it.

I would have to say that I only dislike my BSOSD II. It might be fine for others, but wish I got a Rembezi (sp) or something else.

Im lost
    Lets not forget an FPV newbie might not know how to fly RC.

The EZ* is being beaten a bit unfairly Id say. I fly RC for a long time and did get an EZ to start FPVing. I had fun with it even B4 fpv gear was on and even before it had ailerons. ( although the stock rudder is total crap ) In fact ailerons on an EZ* are almost useless IMO.

It got me going in FPV really quick and made good quality videos most of the time...
    Once you start skimming ground, it comes obvious that its not the ideal airframe for that... It was in pretty good shape and is a wish item, so I sold it for a wing.

If you are new into the RC hobby and want to learn FPV, I would HIGHLY recommend an EZ* or any clone. If you fly RC well, then maybe a SW or Zeph is a better choice.

I would probably start with an EasyStar instead of the Skyfun I started with. I loved that plane when I learned to fly it LOS, but I didn't really know what I was doing when I started to build it up for FPV. Lots of hard crashes resulted and eventually the plane had to be retired due to massive accumulated damages. The EasyStar by comparison is dead easy to set up for FPV.

I would also have begun building a tricopter RIGHT AWAY. I spent an awful lot of time daydreaming of someday putting down a lot of money for a Trex and trying to make it work for FPV... I just didn't know how easy a tri would be to build and make work for FPV, so I never even considered it as an option till several months into the hobby. I could have been flying my FPV tri for the last half a year!

I would also put less stock in what some of the more opinionated/less knowledgeable people on RCG were telling me for advice. I did learn a lot there, but I also got misled a lot for no better reason than they wanted to be respected and admired for being smarter than anyone else. Alot of them also loved (and STILL love) to squabble, which taught me the value of solitude, lol.

Finally, I would have put down for the DragonLink system as soon as the money was available. Nothing says AHHH like a radio link that won't let you down. One of my major interests from day one was flying very low or very far, and I racked up a lot of grief in crashes due to signal loss from either and both.

All that said... I just now saw Aaron's post up there and I have to admit... If I hadn't felt that sickening feeling in my stomach watching and hearing my Skyfun hit hard packed sand at 50mph in a dive, then walking the pieces back to my car, vowing to quit the hobby entirely, and then waking up the next morning with a resounding, "NO! I will NOT quit this easily!" in my head, I wouldn't have had all these crazy adventures and learned so much from them, nor would I have had the same thrilling feeling when things began to work out for me. Maybe what I'd really have done could I do it all again is dump my money into that Xen Falcon, actually pay attention to things like CG, and learn to fly an FPV hotrod properly and as my first plane.

I guess that the reality of it is that the bad times create the good times, and the good times create the bad times, and neither can exist without the other, so therefore there IS no wrong way to do it. Just DO it. :-)

Rick NR417

You can sell an EZ? Even a beat up one? I have mine hanging on my wall in the basement atm, so the flying squirrels don't eat it.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast