FPVLAB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, lets talk about batteries

Im lost

OK, lets talk about batteries

Thought Id post a specific topic on this since a standard is formed.

All of my 4 HK bought ( especially nano techs ) 3S 2200 high discharge batteries have a middle cell quicker discharge issue.

...talking about batteries.....

"they have so much power, yet sit there doing nothing until someone uses them, talk about a waste!"

I always fast charge, then balance before a flight. I haven't had any probs with the Nano's - I'm heavily invested in them.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Im lost
    Perhaps people could share their after flight cell by cell measurements. When my buzzer goes off for cell # 2 @ 3.3 volts, cell #3 is like 3.8.... ( I do have a 2s tap for my video system but even before when I had 2 batts (video/power) the middle was ALWAYS at least .3 volts lower.

Let your perspective soar
    I noticed at Hobby King that the 2200mAh batteries have lousy reviews, and the 3300mAh versions seem to have much better reviews.

I have a terrible problem with never balancing my batteries. I think I will break that cycle and start balancing them all today. I have tons and tons of HK batteries. Some flown at least 150-200 times and have never had a problem. 1 - Rhino 1550 was DOA but besides that the only batteries that I have owned that went bad after using them were my expensive thunder power lipos.
    FPV is not a crime!

executiveprinters.com
    printingplusfl.com

Im lost
    :O ... I would never think one could get away with that... Great inputs people, keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
    I have a terrible problem with never balancing my batteries..
    This is my opinion on the 2200 Nano Techs and 2250 Rhinos Ive owned ( 2 of each ) -> crap.

I was reading the sticker on a rather expensive lipo pack at my LHS the other day, and it said something to the effect of "Never Charge at less than 1C", it had a max 5C charge rate. I never thought about this before that. I can imagine that your charging habits can definately have an impact on the overall life and reliability of the pack. I usually charge right at 1c when I can.

My IMAX b6 does a great job usually, but I typically charge the packs on LIPO CHG, then fire them onto my cheapo ESKY balance chargers for balancing afterwards, because they do not "bleed" charge off the taps, they individually charge the cells through the taps, effectively isolating each cell so not to disturb cells more than they need to be. Great results so far.

Im lost
    I usually run 1C-2C LIPO balance on my B6 depending on my hurry. Curious about the lower limit in chg current though.
    I just love this forum because the threads contain so little BS and so much intelligent info.

I have, up until recently, only used Thunderpower Lipos. I have yet to have a failure or a pack that didnt last 500+ cycles. I do however balance during charge. Always.

Charging under 1C:
    The only thing I can think of with this.... They dont want people calling them to say how long the battery takes to charge. Other than that, there is NO reason to think that charging UNDER 1C is a bad thing. Your chargers do it every time you charge a pack, onces it gets near 4.20v per cell.

Charging over 1C:
    While you can do it, dont. Most packs can now handle upto 5c (read the label before trying it), this does nothing but harm to the life of the pack. It will also give false peak if your charger doesnt ramp down fast enough. If you are in a rush, fine....but otherwise your battery will thank you later. Then again.... when it thanks you, LiPos might be soooo "2006" and some other chemistry might be the new hotness.

I remember when charging lipos, if you went over 1C, your house would blow up...even if you were at the field 10 miles away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast