PDA

View Full Version : CSFPV Mission briefing 001 - Inverted Light-Post Slalom

chicken sashimi
31st October 2012, 03:16 PM
ChickenSashimiFPV Missions are designed to push pilots to the limits of their abilities.. Most missions will be challenging. Some of you will crash and burn, others will succeed and the best will win ChickenSashimiFPV products which will serve as constant reminders of their greatness.

Mission 001: Inverted Light-post Slalom
Mission reward: One winner will receive a free ChickenSashimiFPV Hoodie and T-Shirt of their choice, the CSFPV HotDog award of excellence and have their videos posted on the CSFPV Contest winner page for posterity.
Mission deadline: December 15th 2012

Mission Directives:
As the title implies, this mission requires that the pilot Slalom through lightposts WHILE INVERTED with a minimum of 4 poles cleared. Bonus points will be awarded for altitude (the lower the better), camera capture (multiple camera angles is a huge plus), post density, general flight skill and style.

Mission Conditions:
-Video must include transition from level flight into inversion, then after slalom, revert back to level flight. No flipping the video in the editing room... where's the fun in that?
-Pilots are expected to attempt these missions only under SAFE circumstances. Hot dogging in populated spaces or near high traffic areas will be frowned upon.
-Lightposts, rows of palm trees, overpass supports are all valid "lightposts" but keep in mind, the tighter the set, the more you'll impress the judges.
-There will only be one winner.
-Truly spectacular failures may garner free consolation prizes, at the discretion of the judges.

Good luck to all pilots!

PDXDave
31st October 2012, 04:52 PM
Bonus points for pulling this off in a quad? ;)

chicken sashimi
31st October 2012, 04:54 PM
Holy shit.. let's see the video first, then we'll talk! :D

p.s. I'm planning on having some multi-rotor specific missions too.. you guys won't be left in the dark. :)

PDXDave
31st October 2012, 05:02 PM
Not me - I was just egging on the pilots that fall into the "better than me" category (which is pretty much everyone). :)

If you see a video like that from me, you can be sure it all happened in post-production.

Hans
31st October 2012, 06:22 PM
Time to show the world my camera pan/tilt/rotate-unit :rolleyes:

I can barely stay in the air, let alone inverted on purpose. :eek:

chicken sashimi
31st October 2012, 06:28 PM
oH YES.. I realize that i'm asking the impossible here, but surely SOMEONE will step up to the challenge! I've seen some amazing piloting on this forum... I have little doubt that someone out there has the thumbs it takes to get this done.

I'll be initializing multiple missions to suit all flying machines and styles, so if this one doesn't suit everyone, or you're too worried about your PRECIOUS airframe to even try it, don't fret, there's lots more fun to be had down the road. :D

p.s. it would be a shame if no one even entered this contest, I'd have to burn these nice shirts and sweaters i've put aside. lol

ssassen
31st October 2012, 06:34 PM
I think Hans has got this covered, not willingly, but still :D

Hans
31st October 2012, 06:39 PM
Oh, definetly (http://youtu.be/_u157cNWO9c) :(

bicycle
31st October 2012, 06:43 PM
It has to be FPV right? I assume so but it's not in your criteria.

This is the perfect challenge for my new plane.

chicken sashimi
31st October 2012, 06:52 PM
To be honest, I'd probably be even more impressed if you could pull it off LOS.. LOL
Yes, fpv.. but do this LOS and get it on video and post it up here.. you might win something just for having mindblowing depth perception. haha!

GreenAce92
31st October 2012, 11:23 PM
Do large power lines count? The metal ones that tower 3-5 stories high.

I'm surprised they didn't say "Or are ya chicken?" ha! PUN

Also. If someone could use their quad copter to film someone else flying, that would be incredible.

Imagine a shot where a fixed wing airplane is flying inverted above a row of powerlines, mere feet from it, (the big ones) and a quad copter is hovering standing by with an HD camera, it captures the plane coming towards it and then the quad pans to the left and follows the plane which continues following the power lines inverted. That would be awesome. Rather than someone climbing the power lines and filming it (unsafe)

chicken sashimi
1st November 2012, 01:48 AM
At this point, slalom anything inverted and we'll talk. lol

Don't worry too much about what qualifies and what doesn't.. get out there and fly upside down. Make sure all your batteries are fastened tight and get those videos online. Someone out there is without hoodie.. poor pilot.. .sitting in the cold, shivering... sweaterless.

h0tr0d
1st November 2012, 01:39 PM
Cool challenge....I'll give it a shot today if I can find the right set of light poles. I have almost the same amount of time flying inverted on one of my airframes as I do rightside up.

-Pat

IBCrazy
1st November 2012, 01:50 PM
oH YES.. I realize that i'm asking the impossible here, but surely SOMEONE will step up to the challenge! I've seen some amazing piloting on this forum... I have little doubt that someone out there has the thumbs it takes to get this done.

I'll be initializing multiple missions to suit all flying machines and styles, so if this one doesn't suit everyone, or you're too worried about your PRECIOUS airframe to even try it, don't fret, there's lots more fun to be had down the road. :D

p.s. it would be a shame if no one even entered this contest, I'd have to burn these nice shirts and sweaters i've put aside. lol
I'm up for it. The park up the street from me has light posts around the baseball field. It makes it a bit harder since they aren't in a straight line (they arc around the backfield) and one side is lined by trees and there are powerlines on the other side. I'll have to keep it tight. The inverted part is going to be difficult, though... I might have to tilt my camera up a little to compensate for the aggressive angle of attack I will need to fly it. I could go down to the mall, but inverted light post slalom is tough enough let alone having to do it at night.

-Alex

chicken sashimi
1st November 2012, 01:51 PM
Awesome HotRod.. looking forward to seeing your piloting skills in action. :)

The weather isn't getting any better out there lately, so i've just ordered myself some LongSleeve Tee's using today's free standard shipping coupon code.
I'll be sure to get some pictures up once they arrive.. Then I can be in the Hall of Legends too! :D

I'm up for it. The park up the street from me has light posts around the baseball field. It makes it a bit harder since they aren't in a straight line (they arc around the backfield) and one side is lined by trees and there are powerlines on the other side. I'll have to keep it tight. The inverted part is going to be difficult, though... I might have to tilt my camera up a little to compensate for the aggressive angle of attack I will need to fly it. I could go down to the mall, but inverted light post slalom is tough enough let alone having to do it at night.

-Alex

Haha.. you mentioned that you love a challenge... plus, your Spectre is the toughest bird in the sky.. I had little doubt that you'd step up to this one Alex.
p.s. Have you received your first shipment yet? if not, they should be there soooooon!

IBCrazy
1st November 2012, 02:04 PM
How about flying under a bridge, executing an immleman, and then flying right back through. In hindsight, I should have flown it inverted... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK8zG9pW2To&feature=plcp
Immleman is at 1:04. You can see the whole airframe stress out as I pull up to make the gap.

-Alex

chicken sashimi
1st November 2012, 02:54 PM
Awesome... only there's a weird edit that happens at 1:14 that has me scratching my head.

h0tr0d
1st November 2012, 08:07 PM
Ok, I'm going to have to re-think the mission strategy...trying to do it with a flying wing going 45mph is going to be nuts. I'll try it on the weekend when the parking lot near my house is empty...too many cars today. :D

GreenAce92
3rd November 2012, 09:09 AM
Picture this: Modified Katana

Twin E-Flite Park 480 motors with APC 12 x 5 E's on the wing tips.

550Watts

Knife edge through a row of grapes. All captured in 1080P

Vintabilly_NS
3rd November 2012, 11:57 AM
......let alone having to do it at night. -Alex

Now we're talking.. ;)

IBCrazy
3rd November 2012, 08:10 PM
At least I'm not too chicken to try...

Damage from 3 attempts each resulting in a crash:
2 broken props
Badly scuffed up VTX
Ripped every wire out of my camera
busted top canopy in half
Crushed my Mad Mushroom antenna... 3 times

Lessons learned:

1. Inverted flight is hard. Planes do not handle nearly as well upside down as they do right side up.
2. Point your camera slightly upward. Deal with the fact that it's annoying when you flip back over and are looking skyward.
3. Sit down. If you don't you will look like a complete idiot with your head all cocked sideways trying to retain your balance and fly. You will likely end up tripping over something too.
4. It is REALLY easy to get disoriented and lose complete track of where you are. The World is a very different place when viewed upside down.
5. Place your antenna and transmitter UNDER your airplane. Crashing inverted means your video gear takes the hit.

... And yes, my plane was just as ugly before I tried this stuff. I might have given it a few extra wrinkles, but it's so messed up I can't tell what happened from this time and what was already ugly.

-Alex

FPVdude
3rd November 2012, 10:39 PM
I'll try it if I can find some posts.
I was thinking of building a flat foam wing for this, because its slow and falls under the category of "symmetrical airfoil"

chicken sashimi
4th November 2012, 01:10 AM
Alex! nice work on your spectre.. lol.. you can dry your tears on your first pile of shirts when they arrive in the mail. lol :D

TBH, i think a flying wing would be the best tool for this particular challenge. MY zephyr flies really predictably upside down... mind you, most of my zephyr time upside down is spent 4-800' off the ground, but still.
Alex, I wonder if you can find some well spread out poles, get inverted, then maybe just use the rudder to go back and forth between pylons? might keep you flat enough to get 'er done?

Hard to say. Mad respect to all you guys for trying this challenge.

Twawsi
4th November 2012, 04:26 AM
I'd like to fly this mission since I have two courses laid out and I've been prepped since reading this challenge, but the weather has prevented me. Great attempt Alex.

bicycle
4th November 2012, 03:31 PM
four minutes from crappy attempt #1, there are a couple of near misses... or rather near hits

it's a lot easier the right way up!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeg5Y9LGpYQ

HackNFly
4th November 2012, 06:28 PM
Good attempt, but the jello and the flipping upside personally made me nauseous. I feel a wide angle lens and a light plane would be advantageous for this challenge. Tried some tree dodging today to prepare for this challenge but ended up 50 feet up a tree. Managed to get everything down though.

chicken sashimi
4th November 2012, 06:41 PM
Lol! great attempts bicycle... thanks for sharing! 2:17 came pretty damn close!!

IBCrazy
4th November 2012, 07:28 PM
Tears? I'm flying a Specter, remember?

Today I tried a 3D airplane. Fail. Not going to happen. Gotta practice with the Specter more.

If you want to know how hard this is, just look at my videos and realize I crashed 3 times trying this. I fly like a maniac low to the ground. I can slalom poles with my eyes closed... so long as the plane is right side up ;)

-Alex

bicycle
4th November 2012, 07:31 PM
the plane is 24" not sure of weight but it weighs less than a coke can. prop saver and unbalanced crappy prop, carbon prop and collet are on order. i have a wider lens but i just wanted to fly...

IBCrazy
5th November 2012, 07:05 PM
My attempt at this mission. Crash reel starts at 1:00 or so.

https://vimeo.com/52886998

-Alex

chicken sashimi
5th November 2012, 07:08 PM
video will be available for viewing shortly.. arg.. .suspense is killing me!

Vintabilly_NS
5th November 2012, 07:35 PM
^same! lol

IBCrazy
5th November 2012, 07:46 PM
Video is up ;)

chicken sashimi
5th November 2012, 07:47 PM
DUDE!! AMAZING video!!! so much fun to watch! 1:49 had me gnawing my teeth.. you totally had it for a second there!

great efforts, awesome vid!

FPVdude
5th November 2012, 09:17 PM
So close!

bicycle
5th November 2012, 10:04 PM
oh man that was great to watch

novaq
15th November 2012, 06:58 AM
It sure was! Respect, Alex.. :) I'd love to have a plane to throw around like this. What kind of repairs where needed after the first crashed? :D

IBCrazy
15th November 2012, 08:10 AM
^I had to replace the camera and needed to glue the canopy back together. The camera has been through more than I could ever imagine. Before this, it was stuck in a tree for 5 months and still worked! The canopy snapped in half as I had a velcro strap over it to hold the battery in. Total repair time was ~15 minutes.

The Specter won't die!

-Alex

Vintabilly_NS
15th November 2012, 12:38 PM
Alex have you thought about adding in a flaps mix for inverted flight? Takes out that nasty ground suction. Roll inverted then toggle elevator->flap mix which adds a bunch of down elevator. Great fun mate. :)

IBCrazy
15th November 2012, 01:34 PM
That won't work with a Specter. The wing is very high lift and the forward sweep pushes the torque moment very close to the CG line but still far enough behind it to cause some torque along the axis which counter acts the liftin effects. All flaps would do is act as a brake, and since I need speed to maintain flight due to my wing type, it will do more harm than good.

-Alex

HackNFly
15th November 2012, 01:36 PM
If you have your Stryker up and running maybe you should give that a shot, it handles inverted very well.

chicken sashimi
15th November 2012, 02:06 PM
Mission deadline is only a month away! So far Alex is leading the charge for video posted attempts.
Add a custom mix, stand on your head or travel to Australia.. I don't care what you have to do, get those inverted flights online for your chance to win!!

Vintabilly_NS
15th November 2012, 02:19 PM
That won't work with a Specter. The wing is very high lift and the forward sweep pushes the torque moment very close to the CG line but still far enough behind it to cause some torque along the axis which counter acts the liftin effects. All flaps would do is act as a brake, and since I need speed to maintain flight due to my wing type, it will do more harm than good.
-Alex

LOL, no. Use the flap switch to enable a mix to set down elevator to counter the excess lift sucking you into the ground while inverted. I use it on my crafts for hand launching. I flip the gear or flap switch and it adds up elevator so I don't have to rush for the controls. I do this even though I launch with my left.

In my application, no nosediving flying wings while launching. In your application, countering gravity while inverted. The switch is just easy to get to.

aeryck
16th November 2012, 09:48 AM
Why not just hold the transmitter upside down? =]

bicycle
17th November 2012, 09:14 PM
Great Success! kind of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyk3PyrhYVU

HackNFly
17th November 2012, 11:28 PM
Congratulations on your success.

I figured the first person to successfully complete this would be using a lightweight wing.

Question: How to top this? Do we go for number of inverted passes? Night time? I want to compete in this one, but now that bicycle has set the bar, how do we try to pass it?

chicken sashimi
18th November 2012, 12:12 AM
Amazing work bicycle! You are certainly leading the charge!
I want to thank everyone who's already stepped up to the challenge so far, but rest assured, the prize is still up for grabs!

All mission pilots still have until December 15th to trump bicycles efforts. Hook more pylons, fly closer to the ground, fancy up your video with LOS footage or creative editing. Now that bicycle already has a head start, he might even go out there and trump his own video.... It's still anyone's game.

Again, I can't tell you how impressed I am, B.. that's some mad piloting, kudos!
now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go watch it again. :D

bicycle
18th November 2012, 12:27 AM
lower passes, faster, cleaner turns, LOTS of room for improvement

hugy
21st November 2012, 02:09 PM
Okay guys I'm in. Looks like I have to get the alulah going again. Would it count if I could squeeze a couple passes like these inverted through the trees? I have done a few but recorder wasn't running at that time.

https://vimeo.com/25870279

HackNFly
21st November 2012, 02:35 PM
Obviously I'm not the judge, but my personal opinion is that if you can manage to slalom more than 5 trees like that inverted it should count.

chicken sashimi
21st November 2012, 02:46 PM
No doubt about it Hugy.. if you can fly between those trees inverted, you're in the game. That's incredible flying already, wow! amazing work.. do it upside down and you'll definitely be in my good graces!

This competition is heating up!

hugy
21st November 2012, 02:58 PM
Nice, will be doing a run very soon.

chicken sashimi
21st November 2012, 03:04 PM
Amazing..

For super-bonus points, have a friend in the woods shooting video line of sight... do some creative editing between that and your link footage and your vid will be unbeatable!

IBCrazy
21st November 2012, 11:53 PM
Bicycle - You get the big balls award! Nice piloting!

-Alex

JBeloncik
26th November 2012, 01:16 PM
OK, all I can say is I am impressed by the submissions so far! I can barely fly a simple inverted pass, much less attempt to slalom as well! I have been searching all over for a suitable course, but all of the light poles I can find have some kind of issue. This is the best I can find so far, but as you can see, there small trees between the posts, making it even more difficult to navigate! I can barely pull it off right side up! Here is my first attempt with my little scratch built swift 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDIQma1OttE&feature=youtu.be
I am not quite sure what happened here. I remember thinking I was gonna hit that first pole, so I swerved and I could swear I was applying down elevator, but it basically just flew right into the ground! I was only flying with about 1/2 throttle trying to keep it slow, so maybe I just didn't have enough airspeed? Damage to the plane itself was minimal...only scuffed it up. The camera's lens was trashed though! Anyone have a spare 2.8mm lens for the PZ0420? :) My clover leaf is jacked up too, but I can fix that no problem. I think its time to get the Specter back out and try this again with a slower airframe!

bicycle
26th November 2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah another contestant!! Great work! May I suggest, when you get a new lens, to angle the camera upwards as IBCrazy suggested. Just 10 degrees or so. It makes regular flight much more difficult but inverted flight MUCH easier

JBeloncik
26th November 2012, 01:30 PM
Yeah another contestant!! Great work! May I suggest, when you get a new lens, to angle the camera upwards as IBCrazy suggested. Just 10 degrees or so. It makes regular flight much more difficult but inverted flight MUCH easier
Yep, was already planning to do just that! I think I need to find some taller poles too...over grass would be nice as well!!!

Scotttu
26th November 2012, 04:44 PM
Try clear cuts, trees make nice random targets :D

Was going to do a video but out of time, gotta get to work....

Mike A.
27th November 2012, 12:03 PM
Yep, was already planning to do just that! I think I need to find some taller poles too...over grass would be nice as well!!!

We need to get some traffic cones to slalom through! I just got my SS all fixed up too. We seem to trade off smashing our planes.

JBeloncik
29th November 2012, 07:45 PM
We seem to trade off smashing our planes.

If you never crash, you aren't flying hard enough!!!

chicken sashimi
10th December 2012, 01:57 AM
YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!

There are 6 days remaining for mission completion. Saturday is a weekend day, so I will include it within the deadline. As of Saturday Dec 15th midnight PST, the mission is officially closed.
Get your final flights in THIS WEEK.. one lucky winner (and amazing pilot) will be victorious and claim the winning prize pack!

chicken sashimi
15th December 2012, 04:19 PM
The weather is shit where I'm at, So I need to live vicariously through you guys!

Hugy, You never posted any videos of your attempts.
Time is running out.. please have all submissions posted in this thread before Midnight PST.

hugy
15th December 2012, 05:24 PM
Sorry ran out of time and I'm in the alps for the next 4 months giving skiinglessons. So unfortunately no entry from me.

chicken sashimi
16th December 2012, 04:59 AM
The CSFPV Mission 001 Zero-Hour has arrived.

It is without a doubt that "bicycle" has fulfilled the mission directives. He will be receiving a Chicken Sashimi Hoodie and T-Shirt Prize pack.
Great flying! Ultra bonus points for the campy sound track! Love it! :D

http://chickensashimi.com/designGallery/AwardMission001.jpg

I want to thank everyone who put their aircraft on the line to attempt this mission.
You've all got some massive balls and amazing flying skills.

Winning video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyk3PyrhYVU

Bicycle, send me a pm and we'll sort our your prize :D

Thanks to everyone who played. Stay tuned for the next mission coming soon.

bicycle
16th December 2012, 12:36 PM
:cool:

IBCrazy, since I am declaring you unofficial runner-up, and because you have crashed more than me for this contest, and since your antenna manuals have helped countless people, I think you deserve a t-shirt too :)

send me a PM and it's yours!

IBCrazy
16th December 2012, 07:39 PM
^I already got one donated to me by Chicken. Thanks for the offer. You won fair and square. I look forward to the next challenge ;)

-Alex