PDA

View Full Version : KK2 Auto level improvement

j45on
29th September 2012, 01:24 PM
Shane colton has been tweaking the KK2 flight controller code and has improved the auto level function.
His blog http://scolton.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/a-bit-more-kk20-modding.html
I have found it very helpful as a learner,previously the auto level had been of no use to me.
Tried it on my tiny quad and my H quad
Videos and download link in his blog

chbla
29th September 2012, 05:30 PM
nice, thanks
I'll try it

Flying Monkey
29th September 2012, 08:25 PM
I tried it and it immediately did a backflip. Luckily it was close to the ground so the only damage was two props. I did do the ACC calibration as well as re-adjust most of the settings to what I had on there before. I remember Scolton said something about setting stick scaling to a really low number as it sees this number as a angle when in auto-level mode... or something like that, I'll have to find it before I try again.

Just remember, it's still a very VERY experimental firmware, do so at your own risk, and assume that it's going to fly at you as soon as you switch it on! Oh, and I wouldn't suggest flying in auto-level mode, just use it to recover when you've lost orientation or video.

chbla
30th September 2012, 03:17 AM
I've tried it and did not have any kind of problems, it flew stable and nice like before
A lot of people already seem to have upgraded to this version, without any problems (only improvements as reported by them)

Edit: Auto level is really A LOT more useful now

j45on
5th November 2012, 04:39 PM
New firmware alert :D
Oficial firmware from the designer
Version 1.4 kapteinkuk
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23190024&postcount=6208

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QxAQCiF6m0

gftbak
8th November 2012, 05:21 AM
v1.5 is out with camera imball stabilisation

Flying Monkey
8th November 2012, 05:17 PM
That looks so awesome! Can't wait to try it!

saucisse
15th November 2012, 10:14 AM
Did flash the new v1.5 firmware last night and all I can say is WOW !!!!! So much better vs previous 1.2 fw I was running!

Flying Monkey
15th November 2012, 10:41 AM
yeah I finally got a chance to try it out and WOW! So stable I let it hover in my living room for a flight time endurance test! I love how quickly it snaps back to level... but I tried fast forward flight, switched it on and it got a bit twitchy... not sure if I can tune that out or if its just unavoidable... doesn't matter too much though, if I have to switch it on suddenly it'll be "hitting the oh shit button" anyhow. With the AL on it was pretty fun cruising around, easy to track a straight line. Try rapid yaws, it doesn't roll or anything! Oh, and it's SO stable, my girlfriend can fly it, rofl!

viper522
15th November 2012, 10:55 AM
I was running the original FW until about a week ago. It's amazing the progress they've made already. My 450 quad went from flyable with lots of custom settings to locked-in at defaults (Quad-X mode).

Auto level still doesn't work for me, and I'm not sure why. When I first got the board, it flew in auto level, but it was just slow to correct. Without changing anything, it got worse, to where it just wanted to flip over when I turned it on. So I tuned and flew it manual only. Then I flashed to FW 1.4 and manual mode was so great, I decided to try auto level again. Now it will fly with auto level enabled, but I have to hold the right stick back and left about 25% to keep it level. If I let go and center the stick, it shoots forward and rolls right. I've done all the ACC calibration, centered all subtrims, etc. The board is mounted as flat as possible, with just the thickness of the 3M mounting tape (you know the kind on the red roll) under it.

Still happy with 1.4 in manual mode, totally controlled without any prop or motor balance.

Flying Monkey
15th November 2012, 11:00 AM
Hmm... Does it show all the ACC being OK? Wondering if you have a bad ACC. With v1.5 it'll show the pitch/roll tilt angles on the safe screen and you'd be able to see if the ACC was getting wrong tilt estimations...

Might be worth $30 to get a new one. I've got 3, and I just ordered another one cause I was worried I didn't have enough of them, lol.

viper522
15th November 2012, 11:22 AM
Post your buddy code and i'll pick up another :)

Yes, I checked the screen and adjusted my position until all readings were 0. They flicker to -1/0/+1 but pretty stable anyway.

saucisse
15th November 2012, 11:24 AM
Same here, need a buddy code :)

Flying Monkey
15th November 2012, 11:52 AM
I haven't seen a buddy code next to the kk2 for quite some time. :(

viper522
15th November 2012, 12:11 PM
I haven't seen a buddy code next to the kk2 for quite some time. :(

d'oh! AUS warehouse still shows them...but not ordering from there.