PDA

View Full Version : Flying Near Grand Canyon

HackNFly
7th September 2012, 10:45 PM
Is this legal? I thought I remember reading a few years back that fmkit got arrested for flying near the Grand Canyon. I've seen a few videos since then of other people flying the Grand Canyon and I was curious if anyone else had been harassed by any park rangers or police.

BCSaltchucker
7th September 2012, 11:22 PM
a few years? last incident was this year when Trappy had some equipment confiscated and suffered some harassment by officials there.

But the Canyon is real, real long. Gotta be places you can poach without bothering anyone or even being noticed by anyone.

1320Fastback
7th September 2012, 11:37 PM
Outside the park you will be fine.

I went there 2 years ago and flew from a roadside Indian gift shop.
Nothing there but a few guys (hippies) playing kumbaya.

I took simple video (non FPV) with a GoPro and a EZ*

HackNFly
7th September 2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the responses. I forgot that Trappy got harrassed, at least he didn't get arrested! I'm not sure why they're so strict, confiscation of property seems a bit much, but again thats better than getting arrested.

Scotttu
7th September 2012, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the responses. I forgot that Trappy got harrassed, at least he didn't get arrested! I'm not sure why they're so strict, confiscation of property seems a bit much, but again thats better than getting arrested.

There are tourist helicopters in and out every 30 minutes, the grand canyona rent-a-cops are there to protect their right to fly people in at $450 a whack, guessing they get kickbacks/donations from the helicopter company.

Cousin went there and said the helicopters flew by so frequent that it ruined her trip, so use caution for both the rent-a-cop rangers and the helicopters.

airbagit13
7th September 2012, 11:55 PM
Lol just dont pull a Trappy and fly in front of the damn Tourist view spot. :) You will be fine, just fly from a distance.

SENTRY
8th September 2012, 12:27 AM
Smh. Of all the places in Az to fly - I don't see the attraction to the Canyon. LOL

Pookyjuice
8th September 2012, 02:02 AM
I Agree, Sentry. HackNFly, you should check out the Sedona/Oak creek canyon area - it's pretty much on your way if you drive from south to the GC. Or those old volcanos in Flagstaff.

prelator
8th September 2012, 02:23 AM
Personally I really want to see someone fly Canyon De Chelly. Way more beautiful than the Grand Canyon in my opinion, less crowded and it's on tribal land rather than federal, so people would probably be less uptight.

Scotttu
10th September 2012, 02:57 AM
When i didn't remember that will Trappy bought harrassed, at the least he or she did not get busted! I am just unclear why there a're consequently rigid, confiscation involving property looks a tad much, although once again I'm talking about much better than having busted.

Because the park rangers do not want the tourist helicopters to be interrupted or unsafe. I'm guessing that the fees the helicopter company pays helps fund the park rangers salaries.

Maximus
10th September 2012, 07:14 AM
When i didn't remember that will Trappy bought harrassed, at the least he or she did not get busted! I am just unclear why there a're consequently rigid, confiscation involving property looks a tad much, although once again I'm talking about much better than having busted.

Because the park rangers do not want the tourist helicopters to be interrupted or unsafe. I'm guessing that the fees the helicopter company pays helps fund the park rangers salaries.

What, you understood what he said?? I couldn't figure out anything coherent in that sentence. Is Johnabbey a sneaky spambot or just not good at English grammar? His other posts are also very vague and almost fits into the thread but not quite.

SENTRY
10th September 2012, 10:31 AM
Didn't ban him - but removed his posts. The "username" in the sig block gives it away. We'll know when/if he posts again.