PDA

View Full Version : 5.8 TX

quickpix
4th September 2012, 10:43 PM
I have a 5.8 TX and a clover leaf antenna. It is mounded on the flat spot on the tail boom of a Sky Walker. I am getting a lot of glitches when overhead or turning away.
Is there a better antenna placement for this setup?

McCleary.11
5th September 2012, 01:53 PM
Directly over the top or under an antenna is the weakest place to be (speaking generally) and can be the cause of some signal loss. Do you have a video we can look at for reference?

quickpix
5th September 2012, 11:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu1uczYYjHU&feature=share&list=UUm4Za9lB-BNvgUArIka1NQw
This is a link to my You Tube page, I had to cut parts out to get the vid to fit YT

IBCrazy
6th September 2012, 08:50 AM
I have a 5.8 TX and a clover leaf antenna. It is mounded on the flat spot on the tail boom of a Sky Walker. I am getting a lot of glitches when overhead or turning away.
Is there a better antenna placement for this setup?

You have Frersnel zone violations causing the drop outs, I think. I am assuming you have a Skew wheel on the RX?

The best place for your antenna is on the wing tip or close to the wing tip. You can use a 12" coaxial cable extention with no problem. Place your VTX in the wing as well. This makes for a good clean setup.

-Alex

quickpix
6th September 2012, 08:56 AM
I am flying a Sky Walker 1900
What about extending the electric and video and audio wires and placing the entire VTX on the wingtip?

IBCrazy
6th September 2012, 08:59 AM
I am flying a Sky Walker 1900
What about extending the electric and video and audio wires and placing the entire VTX on the wingtip?

That is the best you can possibly do. Most successful aircraft I see are setup exactly as you describe.

-Alex

quickpix
6th September 2012, 09:00 AM
either wing tip?

Wearyman
6th September 2012, 09:01 AM
I have my 5.8vtx on the tail boom of my "EZSurfer" as well. No drop outs except when I am flying directly back at myself, and even then they are quite minimal.

If you have any carbon rods in the tail boom or tail feathers that could also be causing you issues. Lose the carbon and use fiberglass instead.

You can also put the vtx in the wing as IBC suggests, but you will lose much of the easy removability of your wings due to the permanent wires unless you cut in some quick release connectors.

IBCrazy
6th September 2012, 09:06 AM
^I use servo jumpers for this reason. Quick and easy.

Generally I recommend the left (Port side) wingtip. Why? Most pilots naturally turn left. Think carefully about the underlying point in that last statement in regard to the Fresnel zone and you will have a good understanding of RF propagation.

-Alex

quickpix
6th September 2012, 09:24 AM
You guyz are a great help....
Going to the workshop and do it right now then take it and fly it ---- more later
Thanks

Wearyman
6th September 2012, 09:48 AM
^I use servo jumpers for this reason. Quick and easy.

Generally I recommend the left (Port side) wingtip. Why? Most pilots naturally turn left. Think carefully about the underlying point in that last statement in regard to the Fresnel zone and you will have a good understanding of RF propagation.

-Alex

Servo jumpers work well until you have a 4 (or more) wire camera. Then your wiring system starts getting messy. Even with a 3 wire cam you are looking at adding 2 more jumper connection points and all the bulk that entails.

We need a standardized quick release connector for vtx and cam interconnects.

quickpix
6th September 2012, 01:14 PM
Well I just used flat ones so we will see, I'm off the field..........

quickpix
6th September 2012, 07:29 PM
Well guyz I just returned from another flight and watched the video. Well I sure appreciate all your help, --- because it was much better today with the TX out on the wing. It took a lot of trimming to account for the drag on the wing but then smooth sailing.

Question, would it be better to have the wires and the VTX on the bottom of the wing and the antenna sticking up through the wing as far as the drag goes????
Does the top or the bottom of the wing make a big difference?

Video was much better today - very few glitches and drop outs - then only predictable overhead, I need to wean myself away from home.

Wearyman
6th September 2012, 09:12 PM
...Question, would it be better to have the wires and the VTX on the bottom of the wing and the antenna sticking up through the wing as far as the drag goes????
Does the top or the bottom of the wing make a big difference?...

You can actually embed the tx antenna right in the wing if using a cloverleaf or spw. Or put the wire through and have it stick out the other side. Top or bottom doesn't seem to matter as far as I know.

quickpix
6th September 2012, 10:28 PM
You can actually embed the tx antenna right in the wing if using a cloverleaf or spw. Or put the wire through and have it stick out the other side. Top or bottom doesn't seem to matter as far as I know.
Here are some pix of my plane and ground station - placement of the VTX on the wing and lateral counterbalance

14072140831408214081140801407914078140771407614075 140741407314084

quickpix
6th September 2012, 10:34 PM
Todays video of my second SkyWalker FPV flight, with the relocated VTX on the wing tip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d_Fy6Nzj_s&feature=share&list=UUm4Za9lB-BNvgUArIka1NQw

Wearyman
6th September 2012, 11:53 PM
Todays video of my second SkyWalker FPV flight, with the relocated VTX on the wing tip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d_Fy6Nzj_s&feature=share&list=UUm4Za9lB-BNvgUArIka1NQw

Nice! Loved the dance at the end. :D. I can totally relate to that feeling!

quickpix
7th September 2012, 08:34 AM
This maybe should be a new thread, let me know if it should be.
I have a FoxTech FY32AP which I intend to install in the SkyWalker.
The darn thing is so complicated I can't get it to work on a test plane??
I have no help and I need some.
I would like the flight stabilization first, but when I connect the green wire to my receiver the motor comes on and I have to unplug the battery.
+ I can't figure out the driver to access the program?