PDA

View Full Version : The crosshair 5.8!

HugeOne
2nd September 2012, 12:07 AM
At last, the crosshair in 5.8Ghz will be available from TrueRC.

It have the gain of a 5 turns helix yet the wide beam of a 3 turns with amazing axial ratio. Turn your goggle into a base station with the plastic support tube that can be shaped to accommodate various types of goggles by applying gentle heat. No adapters needed!

-Each unit is tested on professional antennas tester (agilent) for SWR, gain and circularity.
-Proudly designed and built in a basement of Canada.

Gain: 10 dbic
SWR: 1.3:1
Axial ratio: 0.9 and up.
Beamwidth: 120deg.
Beamwidth @-3db: 68deg.

http://www.truerc.net/canada/images/58crosshair.JPG

Enough of infomercial stuff, let's see the measurements.
Begin by SWR: (1.3:1 @5800Mhz wide bandwidth)

http://www.truerc.net/images/58chswr.JPG

Now let's point a RHCP helical and check effective transmitted power from 5 to 6Ghz:

http://www.truerc.net/images/58chrhcp.JPG

http://www.truerc.net/images/58chrhcp2.JPG

As you can see the transmitted power does not change that much across 5 to 6Ghz even if SWR change a lot, like our friend Sircana stated in his mythbuster thread.

Now I hit the "normalize" key to bring everything to zero and make it our comparison point. (The response to a 7T RHCP helical placed 6" away is our reference)

http://www.truerc.net/images/58chrhcpnorm.JPG

Replacing the helical by a LHCP one show the opposite polarization response of the antenna or axial ratio. At our frequency of interest (5.8) the LHCP response is 26dB below the RHCP, which yield an axial ratio of 0.94. The circularity happen over a wider frequency range than what we use in FPV for that band.

http://www.truerc.net/images/58chlhcp.JPG

-Hugo

imagebuff
2nd September 2012, 02:22 AM
Awesome Hugo. Count me in!

Chris

whakahere
2nd September 2012, 03:45 AM
Now that antenna is prefect bashing and prefect for quad guys. I bash trees in my planes about 700 meters away just on a spw and cl. When using my 5 turn helical it makes tree bashing even better. But this with a wide viewing range and strength of signal. Prefect! so overall it will give about 5-6km of range and most likely 3km - 4km of clear range if it is anything like a 5 turn helical.

This is a what the 5.8ghz community needs as high gain on 5.8ghz used to mean a need for a tracker. :) now I wish I had money to buy one lol

gabe
2nd September 2012, 06:55 PM
Looks great!
Please let us know when available in stock. ;)

Flying Monkey
3rd September 2012, 01:45 PM
Neat! I'm on 5.8 now so count me in! :)

IBCrazy
3rd September 2012, 05:44 PM
I bow down to the master. This is absolutely incredible, Hugo! I have an idea on a CNC machine to make the wires for this if you want to mass produce it... although when people learn how great this performs, you will be doing nothing but building these for the next 9 months...

-Alex

Tracks
3rd September 2012, 05:52 PM
This is great, Hugo, but didn't you already have these? I'm sure I saw pictures before.

HugeOne
3rd September 2012, 05:54 PM
Thx Alex! Yeah I think I have a lot of work in front of me.

Tracks, you saw them in my hands at the Montreal meet :)

-Hugo

Derrick
3rd September 2012, 05:58 PM
If the price is right... count me in too!

speaking of price... Do you have one in mind?

IBCrazy
3rd September 2012, 06:03 PM
$75? Seriously? For this kind of performance? That's cheap! I don't think I'm even going to think about attempting this one.

-Alex

HugeOne
3rd September 2012, 06:08 PM
Yes I know Alex. For now it is a bit low for the amount of work, but I'm confident that with your help I'll be able to speed-up production soon.

-Hugo

imagebuff
3rd September 2012, 06:55 PM
How can I put in my order?

Chris

HugeOne
3rd September 2012, 06:56 PM
You can back-order on my website or wait for Tim to get stock.
You can also subscribe to back-in-stock notification on my website.
Stock should be added tommorow.

Hugo

imagebuff
3rd September 2012, 07:05 PM
You can back-order on my website or wait for Tim to get stock.
You can also subscribe to back-in-stock notification on my website.
Stock should be added tommorow.

Hugo

I only see one 2510mhz crosshair on the site. Where should I be looking?

Chris

HugeOne
3rd September 2012, 07:09 PM
http://www.truerc.net/canada/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_32_41&products_id=212

Hugo

Derrick
3rd September 2012, 07:18 PM
Ordered...

gabe
3rd September 2012, 08:01 PM
Ordered too... :)

Tracks
8th September 2012, 07:36 AM
Finally found the picture I was referring to. Guess it wasn't 5.8.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?3626-Crosshair-10-dbic-Circularly-polarized-antenna-tutorial!&p=60852&viewfull=1#post60852

whakahere
8th September 2012, 04:09 PM
Tell me when you have more in stock. I so need to get one of these :D Is the tube easy to bend so that you can point it at a 90 degree angle?

Did more testing today on the stacked pair.... how are you managing turns at distance when it is on the vtx? I seem to be losing a get deal of picture.

HugeOne
8th September 2012, 04:44 PM
The tube is easy to bend, apply heat such as a lighter but br carefull with lighter as they are intense if too close.
Apply pressure as you heat up the tube until it bend as you like it.

The stack is 5dB, so banking at a distance mean loosing picture. You need to fly like a sissy or fly a quad.

Hugo

Derrick
10th September 2012, 10:09 PM
Alright... I got a present in the mail today! Does the antenna have a specific orientation? I thought that I might be able to hold it up to the light to see the cross hairs... but they aren't visible through the cover.

Superevan
10th September 2012, 10:30 PM
Alright... I got a present in the mail today! Does the antenna have a specific orientation? I thought that I might be able to hold it up to the light to see the cross hairs... but they aren't visible through the cover.

At the plane ;)

It is circularly polarized so it does not have a preferred orientation.

Derrick
10th September 2012, 11:09 PM
At the plane ;)

It is circularly polarized so it does not have a preferred orientation.

Thank you for the clarification...

Isn't a clover leaf circular polarized?
Isn't it better to have a lobe pointed in direction?

HugeOne
10th September 2012, 11:42 PM
The gain toward the lobe is slightly higher than in between lobes. We point a lobe forward so front gain 0.5-1dB more than the back. This raise your chance of having good video on the way back, like we do with a Vee. It does not have to be pointed forward, absolutely.

-Hugo

mrdlg2u
11th September 2012, 12:13 AM
I did a "back-in-stock notification" on your site...
Are you going to have them back in stock to sell before Tim gets his??
I see you are already at -6.

Later,
Gundy

IBCrazy
11th September 2012, 09:46 AM
Word must travel really slow. His stock should say -623... ;)

-Alex

HugeOne
11th September 2012, 09:59 AM
I did a "back-in-stock notification" on your site...
Are you going to have them back in stock to sell before Tim gets his??
I see you are already at -6.

Later,
Gundy

Dunno, I will finish another batch this week and Tim should received them this week as well.

Alex, yep this one is a killer.

-Hugo

Derrick
11th September 2012, 11:50 AM
HugeOne,

I have read that the beam width is 120 degrees (68 degrees to -3dB), is this both horizontal and vertical?

HugeOne
11th September 2012, 12:57 PM
Yep.

-Hugo

Derrick
11th September 2012, 03:03 PM
Yep.

-Hugo

Thank you for the help, sorry I am asking so many questions, I am new to directional antennas... I have one more before I go test.

Is it best to aim the antenna horizontal, or should I tip it up at say a 30 degree angle (34 degrees optimally) so that the vertical beam is maximized for a craft that is flying above the ground.

IBCrazy
11th September 2012, 03:34 PM
I aim mine up ~20 degrees.

-Alex

Tracks
11th September 2012, 04:40 PM
Maybe this is over simplifying, but if the beam width is 120 degrees, then would pointing the the antenna up 60 degrees put the lower edge of the beam parallel with the ground? Essentially maximizing your vertical coverage?

Derrick
11th September 2012, 05:16 PM
Maybe this is over simplifying, but if the beam width is 120 degrees, then would pointing the the antenna up 60 degrees put the lower edge of the beam parallel with the ground? Essentially maximizing your vertical coverage?

It would... but you can think of the beam as a curve, similar in shape to a bell curve.

Red portion: is 68 degrees wide, best spot to keep your plane.
Green Portion: goes to 120 degrees, it is an OK spot to have your plane
Blue Portion: Out of the practical good usable width when at longer ranges.
http://www.robertniles.com/stats/graphics/stndv.gif

Tracks
12th September 2012, 07:15 AM
Makes sense. Thanks, Derrick.

Hucker
12th September 2012, 08:35 AM
I'm confused. How is it that a xhair has the same gain as a 5 turn and radiation pattern of a 3 turn? Where does the extra energy come from? Fast drop off at the edges or less range behind?

HugeOne
12th September 2012, 08:40 AM
Less waste, helical are 80% efficient at best, x-hair (I like the name) are 98-100%.
Also, no side lobes.

-Hugo

Hucker
12th September 2012, 08:48 AM
Does a radiation plot take into account efficiency?

HugeOne
12th September 2012, 09:17 AM
Yes, the size of the radiation plot show efficiency in itself. If you where to compare the plot of a 16db grid vs a 16db yagi, you'll see the grid having narrower beam, because it is less efficient.
It is not easily seen however, I can tell an antenna is not 100% efficient when I see Xdb gain I know it should have Y deg. beam width.

-Hugo

Hucker
12th September 2012, 09:38 AM
OK, now the pieces fit. So what we need on radiation plots is a plot of the 'ideal/100% efficient' as a dashed line around the actual so you can visualize efficiency. A helical would have this dashed line surrounding the radiation plot showing the area that is lost to inefficiency, while the x-hair these lines would nearly land on top of each other. When you say something is x% efficient what dimension is that in? If something is 70% efficient does that mean the volume (in 3D obviously) is down 30% over ideal or does it mean that the area on a radiation plot is down 30% or is it something else.

I guess I should have brought the x-hair with me this weekend as I got a bit far off to the side on one flight...

rotary65
14th September 2012, 02:53 PM
What an exciting product!! I ordered two. One for backup spare for now, diversity in the near future. Supporting a fellow Canuck. Nice work guys!

mrdlg2u
14th September 2012, 03:26 PM
I just got the last 2. did not see the back in stock e-mail until now.

Later,
Gundy

HugeOne
14th September 2012, 05:09 PM
OK, now the pieces fit. So what we need on radiation plots is a plot of the 'ideal/100% efficient' as a dashed line around the actual so you can visualize efficiency. A helical would have this dashed line surrounding the radiation plot showing the area that is lost to inefficiency, while the x-hair these lines would nearly land on top of each other. When you say something is x% efficient what dimension is that in? If something is 70% efficient does that mean the volume (in 3D obviously) is down 30% over ideal or does it mean that the area on a radiation plot is down 30% or is it something else.

I guess I should have brought the x-hair with me this weekend as I got a bit far off to the side on one flight...

It mean the volume of the radiation plot will be reduced by 30% as the efficiency is calculated in terms of power.

Thanx for your confidence rotary65, your order will ship Monday.

Hugo

squishy
14th September 2012, 06:47 PM
What is the advantage of a cross hair over a helical other than physical dimensions?

HugeOne
14th September 2012, 07:31 PM
Wider beam for a given gain.

-Hugo

IBCrazy
14th September 2012, 09:37 PM
I have to know one thing, Hugo: How on Earth are you soldering this thing? I have a few special cables I use for fine jobs, but this is going to take me hours to get just one built. I figure you are using a smaller balun tube and a thinner cable so as to maintain circularity. However, my eyes have a hard time seeing tolerances as tight as required to make this work at 5.8GHz. I don't think people realize what craftsmanship this antenna takes.

-Alex

rotary65
21st September 2012, 07:46 AM
I received my 5.8 TrueRC Crosshairs yesterday (so fast!) and based on a quick test, they seem to work as advertised! Can't wait to give them a real workout this weekend.

Thanks for this design Hugo and Alex! This is one of the most exciting developments in FPV this year!

Calvin

RTRyder
22nd September 2012, 07:03 PM
I have to know one thing, Hugo: How on Earth are you soldering this thing? I have a few special cables I use for fine jobs, but this is going to take me hours to get just one built. I figure you are using a smaller balun tube and a thinner cable so as to maintain circularity. However, my eyes have a hard time seeing tolerances as tight as required to make this work at 5.8GHz. I don't think people realize what craftsmanship this antenna takes.

-Alex

I do. They are fiddly little things to build but not necessarily impossibly difficult if you have patience and good soldering technique. My biggest problem was finding suitable wire of a small enough diameter but ultimately all three that I've made so far work better than any of the other 5.8 antennas I have. The ideal setup I've found is the larger reflector crosshair and an SPW on an Immersion 5.8 duo and cabling the Dominators to the more powerful RX rather than using just the built in RX. Still it's nice to get increased range using the little crosshair on the Doms, good for just tossing the quad and goggles in the car for a quick flight or two instead of lugging the field box and all the other gear I usually take along...

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/NeanderthalRC/AP%20pictures/IMG_2584a.jpg

Ken

CaliDave
27th September 2012, 12:20 AM
Are these RHCP?

HugeOne
27th September 2012, 12:27 AM
All my antennas are RHCP.

-Hugo

CaliDave
27th September 2012, 12:31 AM
Ok, cool, I thought so, but figured I'd be certain since I can't find it in print officially. ;)

Can't wait to try one out!

swillhide
27th September 2012, 01:22 AM
Sorry to hijack but hey Calidave did you get my PM?

CaliDave
27th September 2012, 01:59 AM
@ swillhide - No I didn't. Just checked and don't see anything. ???

swillhide
27th September 2012, 12:00 PM
Ahh I sent you a PM last week. Could I get your email? I am from the SF bay area and would like to hook up with another FPV'r in the area. Or feel free to send me an email swillhide@ymail.com.

rotary65
2nd October 2012, 12:53 PM
With two of these mounted next to each other in a diversity setup, what is a good angle between them? 68 degrees for 136 degrees of total coverage at 3dB?

HugeOne
2nd October 2012, 01:45 PM
Yes, you understand it right.

-Hugo

rotary65
2nd October 2012, 02:04 PM
Perfect. Thank-you Hugo.

wiggysk
2nd October 2012, 02:08 PM
no need for antenna tracking really. Got one crosshair already just ordered another one really great product thanks.

tomeparker
3rd October 2012, 07:12 AM
Nice work Hugo, seems like I have found the next antenna to go on my diversity receiver. If I have a set of bluebeam whips from Alex, which (3 or 4 lobe) one would be the best on the transmitter?

HugeOne
3rd October 2012, 08:14 AM
Personally I prefer the 3lobes, some prefer the 4 lobes. Are you flying an airplane or a copter?

tomeparker
3rd October 2012, 11:49 AM
Its a multi-rotor

HugeOne
3rd October 2012, 11:51 AM
For a multi-rotor I like the fan or SPW for an even radiation pattern.

-Hugo

HugeOne
9th October 2012, 12:02 AM
:cool:

http://www.truerc.net/canada/images/58crosshair3.JPG

rotary65
9th October 2012, 04:45 AM
Very clever! Easy, quick and inexpensive. That should help production!

Flying Monkey
9th October 2012, 11:40 AM
Neato! Is there a clear plastic you could use that wouldn't affect the antenna? It may just be me, but I really love seeing the antenna... :)

HugeOne
11th October 2012, 12:56 AM
The cover is glued on the reflector, clear would make a messy job....

Hugo

gabe
14th October 2012, 06:35 PM
Hi Hugo!

Do you sell the white cover as spare part?
I had the very first version of your antenna with no cover.
Im very pleased with it but I like the finish of the covered version, looks more durable.

Thanks

HugeOne
14th October 2012, 08:18 PM
Gabe,

If I can fit it in a single stamp envelope, it'll be free, just PM your adress

Hugo

gabe
15th October 2012, 01:11 PM
Thx man!

PMed! :)

rotary65
15th October 2012, 02:54 PM
Hugo - I have the same request and have PMed you. Calvin.

HugeOne
15th October 2012, 02:57 PM
All your covers are in the mail guys!

-Hugo

gabe
15th October 2012, 04:47 PM
Fantastic!
Many thanks Hugo! :)

rotary65
15th October 2012, 04:56 PM
Thank-you Hugo! That should help my wonderful crosshairs last a lot longer in my equipment bag.

Calvin

gabe
15th October 2012, 06:15 PM
Hugo, do you sell pan/tilt system for crosshair 5.8?
Im thinking about getting an antenna tracker.
By the way, is it possible to bend the wire? Need to heat it up first?

Thanks

HugeOne
15th October 2012, 06:46 PM
I do not sell tracker turret.
It is possible to bend the tube by gently heating it with an open flame or soldering iron.

Hugo

rotary65
15th October 2012, 08:01 PM
Gabe, the crosshair has such a huge fresnel zone - a tracker really seems unnecessary??

Disregard - I am always thinking multicopter (close in), not fixed wing (longer range).

bgarber
15th October 2012, 08:43 PM
Not that this is the ideal configuration, but is it possible to easily mount the TrueRC/VAS crosshair to a FatShark?

HugeOne
15th October 2012, 08:55 PM
I made them for that, so you can turn your head and follow the plane around you.

Hugo

bgarber
15th October 2012, 09:00 PM
That's cool! Is there enough rigidity in the feed or do you recommend a mechanical support to the goggles?

Thanks!
Brian

Nevermind, I just read the description on RMRC!!

windfou
16th October 2012, 05:42 PM
So i receive my antenna yesterday and i receive it in record time ! Hugo send me the package so fast ! it took 2 days !! , the antenna looking great so i decide to take my 200mw 5.8 receiver for a test , so I plug everything in my kitchen and including my laptop to record the test , so I made a real test and i decide to walk around my block to see what happen , so back to my appartement to see if i record some video image, surprise!!!!! i was amaze how much this thing is powerful ! its the best purchase i made since i do fpv !!! this thing is so powerful I think it can do some fpv in the tree around here no problem!! thanks hugo!!

rotary65
17th October 2012, 10:32 AM
Yes, they really perform well, especially when you connect them to a sensitive receiver. I get great results with the Uno5800. I`m still testing, but it looks really good so far.

windfou
17th October 2012, 10:38 AM
Yes, they really perform well, especially when you connect them to a sensitive receiver. I get great results with the Uno5800. I`m still testing, but it looks really good so far.

the crosshair was in my kitchen and there lot aluminium and the windows is not so big
this antenna will give me the best link for my AP work around building and trees in a reasonable range for this type of work :)

rotary65
19th October 2012, 05:05 PM
I received the two new covers for my crosshairs - thank-you very much Hugo! They are thick and solid, an excellent idea! They should outlast the antennae and should keep my crosshairs safe during transport.

What do you recommend to glue them? Contact cement just around the edges?

HugeOne
19th October 2012, 05:15 PM
Yes, contact cement, CA or hot glue.

Hugo

rotary65
19th October 2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks! I managed to keep the logo as well.

schnellschnell
19th October 2012, 06:49 PM
Would there be a negative effect if I colored the cover? I was thinking magic marker or spray paint.

J

HugeOne
19th October 2012, 08:56 PM
No, some black paint contain carbon dust, however.

Hugo

rotary65
20th October 2012, 04:15 AM
When I was replacing the cover, I took time to admire the wonderful workmanship. They both looked perfectly made. The elements are so small and the tolerances must be incredibly small. I'm pretty good at making things, but I am glad I bought these from a craftsman like Hugo.

Very nice workmanship on these crosshairs!

Mike A.
15th November 2012, 09:50 PM
Any performance reports compared to a SPW/CL setup? I picked one up from RMRC but haven't gotten to test it yet.

HugeOne
15th November 2012, 09:55 PM
Very nice workmanship on these crosshairs! Thx for the comment!

Any performance reports compared to a SPW/CL setup? I picked one up from RMRC but haven't gotten to test it yet. They should come soon, already over 200 of them out now.

-Hugo

Mike A.
15th November 2012, 09:59 PM
Thx for the comment!

They should come soon, already over 200 of them out now.

-Hugo

Wow! That's awesome. If I can get my plane back together after my Dragon Link install I may be able to put it through its paces soon.

route81
26th November 2012, 05:35 PM
I aim mine up ~20 degrees.

-Alex

Would I have your blessing with something like this?

THX!

jj

HugeOne
26th November 2012, 06:09 PM
Yep!

Hugo

chicken sashimi
26th November 2012, 06:21 PM
Does this crosshair have any rear coverage?

Right now i'm using sircana's SPW+7.5Helical on my duo5800.
How would the crosshair + helical combination compare?

HugeOne
26th November 2012, 07:13 PM
It does, less than an helical, bit you can still go around.

Hugo

chicken sashimi
26th November 2012, 07:17 PM
so more forward facing rangebut not as omnidirectional.. do i have that right?

still a wider angle than the helical would offer though, correct?

HugeOne
26th November 2012, 07:43 PM
Depend on how many turns helical you compare it too, probably less forward gain your 7.5, bout same or better than a 5 turns with the beam width of a 3 turns. You have way more coverage on the sides, but less in the rear.

Hugo

chicken sashimi
26th November 2012, 07:44 PM
Cool.. thanks for the info Hugo!

schmiernippel
2nd January 2013, 05:15 PM
What is the center frequency of the 5.8G Crosshair. I cant find the Info ?!

Greets

HugeOne
3rd January 2013, 12:39 AM
5800, however you won't feel any difference from 5700 to 5900 and probably beyond.

-Hugo

schmiernippel
3rd January 2013, 06:15 AM
Ok, thanks for the Info !

ToreW
8th January 2013, 03:05 PM
Hi, bought your combo, the crosshair works great. However Ive used this together with both the fan and spironet tx-antenna and Ive found the latter to give me significantly better range (2km vs 600m with the Immersion 600mw). Is this to be expected or am I doing something wrong?
Both antennas were mounted "upside down" in the bottom of a fpvraptor...

IBCrazy
8th January 2013, 03:15 PM
That's mighty strange. Hugo's fan should destroy the Spiro in Link quality, but the range should be the same.

Perhaps a picture or video would help?

-Alex

HugeOne
8th January 2013, 03:36 PM
A crosshair/fan should yield way more than 2km.
Like Alex said, pictures of your install would tel us more.

-Hugo

ToreW
8th January 2013, 05:45 PM
Hi guys, thanks for your reply.

I have tried to take some pictures, but the raptor is a bit narrow up front. The antenna is tilted slightly down at the front.1915419153

HugeOne
8th January 2013, 05:55 PM
After making sure the antenna is not broken (check the feed) remove everything that is closer to 2" from the antenna.

-Hugo

ToreW
8th January 2013, 06:06 PM
Ok, dont quite understand how to "check the feed", but ill give it a closer check

HugeOne
8th January 2013, 06:39 PM
Look closely at the center wire, you can also check continuity between pin and shield (should be short)

-Hugo

ToreW
9th January 2013, 03:28 AM
seems to be just fine... I'll give it another try today, could have been that i wasnt tightly enough connected to the transmittor. I'll also try to make as much space around it as possible.

ToreW
9th January 2013, 01:29 PM
Was out again today, somehow much better reception. I had increasing qualityloss when I got more than 1,5km away. But not very bothering. I guess I could have easily gotten further. Up close (less than 500m) the signal was strong and without glitches.

Probaby hadnt tightened the antenna properly the other day :p

Thanks for the advice anyway!

route81
10th January 2013, 08:50 AM
I am flying with the Crosshair/Spiro combination on a Immersion 600mw VTx and Fatshark Aviator gog.
The Crosshair gave me a serious improvement in video signal with respect to the SpiroTx/SpiroRx antenna setup.
1,5km and quality no prob now.

Helidaho
14th January 2013, 04:01 AM
I just tried 5.8 and love the size and portability of the gear, especially on my quadcopter. I have the Fatshark Dominators with an immersion 600mw VTx. Right now I have the Fatshark/Immersion SpiroNet antennas but have been looking at helical/crosshair for my goggles for a bit more range. Signed up for stock notification of the crosshair at TrueRC, looks like the way to go with the comments in this thread.

HugeOne
14th January 2013, 09:43 AM
No need to wait RMRC have stock.

-Hugo

Derrick
14th January 2013, 11:02 AM
I just tried 5.8 and love the size and portability of the gear, especially on my quadcopter. I have the Fatshark Dominators with an immersion 600mw VTx. Right now I have the Fatshark/Immersion SpiroNet antennas but have been looking at helical/crosshair for my goggles for a bit more range. Signed up for stock notification of the crosshair at TrueRC, looks like the way to go with the comments in this thread.

You won't be disappointed, I love the crosshair.

Helidaho
14th January 2013, 12:42 PM
No need to wait RMRC have stock.

-Hugo

I was wondering if those were the same thing as the product photo shows a big box where yours are a nice molded look. Are they the same underneath? Or are his product photos out of date?

Thanks for the info and the awesome antennas!

IBCrazy
14th January 2013, 12:47 PM
They are very similar underneath. Mine use concentric boxes and display the elements. Hugo does not use boxes but uses a vacuum formed cover. It's just the signature of the modeler ;)

-Alex

HugeOne
14th January 2013, 02:55 PM
Or are his product photos out of date?

His pics are out of date, they now all have formed covers.

-Hugo

Helidaho
14th January 2013, 07:35 PM
If they are the same or similar performance then that's fine with me, thanks guys!

Ordered! Thanks!

WingMan
15th January 2013, 10:33 PM
I DONT UNDERSTAND THE ANTENNA AND TX AS MUCH AS I WOULD LIKE TO. WHAT I THOUGHT I KNEW I READ MIGHT BE WRONG, I BOUGHT A 1.3 ghz, 1500 mW THINKING YES HIGHER POWER BETTER DISTANCE NOW I READ IT'S OVERKILL? I FLY A HEXACOPTER 800, MY TESTS ON THE GROUND (TOP OF A CAR) 5 MILES WITH GREAT PERFORMANCE UNTILL WE RAN OUT OF RD AND WENT BEHIND A HILL. IN THE AIR SO FAR ONLY 1-2 MILES MOUNTAIN FLYING BEHIND TREES AND SOME RIGES GREAT PERFORMANCE TO. I'M USING THE US LEGAL 1.3GHz Receiver w/SAW Upgrade (V3 with 1258 MHz!)
X2 W/(DIVERSITY)

Circular Polarized ANTENAS

1- 1.3 GHz 7dBi 3 Turn RHCP Helical Antenna (IBCrazy)
1- 1.3 GHz Long Range Pro Omni "Horizon"

1- 1.2-1.3GHz Windmill (3 Lobe) RHCP Antenna

IS THERE A BETTER COMBINATION? MY PURPOSE/USE IS LOW ALTITUDE FLIGHTS?
IM WONDERING ABOUT THE 1.3 GHz 10dBic RHCP Crosshair Antenna (IBCrazy)?
..O.. Radio is uhf
THANKS

HugeOne
16th January 2013, 09:38 AM
If your 1500mW vTx does not create electrical problem on board your aircraft, then it is fine. Except if another FPVer want to fly this channel within your area.
A crosshair will give you more punch than the 3T helix, but if your already outranging your uhf....

-Hugo

RcLab1
16th January 2013, 11:02 PM
I just bought the 1.2 Ibcrazy CrossHair and using the RMRC 1.2ghz VidRx with 1258 and 1280 switch.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_34_44&products_id=1020

On the back of the CrossHair, it says "1.25", Can I interchange channels on my VidRx? (use channels 1258 and 1280)?

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_52_100&products_id=823

IBCrazy
17th January 2013, 01:13 AM
Perfect SWR is 1.15 on a Crosshair, so yours tested near perfect. We test every one of them at least twice (often 3 times) to verify it works properly throughout the range specified. It will work from 1220 to 1360 with excellent results. As you get out of the center frequency, the SWR will actually improve, but the circularity will drop a bit.

-Alex

Helidaho
20th January 2013, 03:52 AM
Thank you for making AWESOME antennas! I received my new 5.8 crosshair, hooked it to my goggles and went out for a test flight. That was the best video I've had! Granted I was in an open field but I was about 900 ft out and just a few feet off the ground with my quadcopter and I had a perfect image, never had that before. My ground station now consists of only goggles, SD DVR, and my attached TrueRC 5.8 Crosshair!

gaahrdner
20th January 2013, 08:28 PM
Hey Hugo, I tested your crosshair this weekend, it was awesome! I had it hooked up to my DVR and lost video in the goggles much much earlier, the DVR never even had a hiccup! So cool!

Firedawg1998
23rd February 2013, 02:38 PM
Just ordered a crosshair from Hugo. Just wondering because its for 5.8.. Is it real finicky about which channel I use on my fatshark predators and 600 immersion. I guess I've had my best image on channel 1 which is 5740 I believe but I've read that these crosshairs are extremely hard to tune and that it will arrive tuned right on to 5.8. Alittle cart before the horse, just trying to get it ready for delivery, it's in the mail now. Thanks Hugo for the awesome fast service.

IBCrazy
23rd February 2013, 10:41 PM
Hugo makes these so they work at all 5.8GHz channels. He sent me one a week ago and I see no drop in performance on any channel.

-Alex

HugeOne
23rd February 2013, 11:54 PM
Here's a frequency sweep of the response to a LHCP (opposite) wave. You can see that from 5700 to 5900 you have better than 18db rejection.
Conclusion, you should not see any difference on different channel due to the antenna.

http://www.truerc.net/images/58chlhcp.JPG

-Hugo

clae81
2nd March 2013, 02:40 AM
Hey Hugo, any idea when your 5.8 crosshair will be back in stock? I would love to try one.

Cheers, Clae

HugeOne
2nd March 2013, 08:35 AM
I sent a batch to RMRC a little while ago, they should list them very soon, NGhobbies also should have some.

Hugo

clae81
2nd March 2013, 05:40 PM
Cool, thanks Hugo

hadriez
4th March 2013, 12:56 AM
i fly a quad and generally fly low and behind trees within 1km radius most of the time. the 5.8 crosshair (http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49_97&products_id=1132) and the long range omni horizon (http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49_97&products_id=1158) would most suit this type of flying? since the crosshair is at 120 degree, how far would I be able to fly behind?
I've been using SPW/CL for some time now, just that I want more penetration and range. I know 1.2/1.3 would be the best bet, but i just like the simplicity of 5.8. so i'm seeing a way to maximize the capability of it :)

cheers

HugeOne
4th March 2013, 09:42 AM
The 5.8 x-hair and horizon combo fit the flying style of a quad/multi perfectly, it yield the most penetration and range. Just upgrading to a x-hair might be enough, the rear range is probably about 1/8 to 1/4 of what you get with the SPW/CL.

-Hugo

hadriez
4th March 2013, 11:25 AM
Thanks Hugo. I guess i got to learn on how to turn my head if I were to fly behind now :)
gotta grab em quick. looks like the crosshair is low in stock!

hadriez
6th March 2013, 03:40 PM
Hugo, i have to ask.. what's the best way to position the "horizon" antenna? vertically or horizontally? if it's horizontal, should it be mounted like a hammer position?

thanks

HugeOne
6th March 2013, 03:47 PM
Should be held like a hammer yes, with fan antennas point up/down.

-Hugo

bgarber
6th March 2013, 03:51 PM
Dudes!!! It came!!!! Looks good next to that MM! Now for some good flying weather... oh, and a receiver would be nice. :p

flight72
21st March 2013, 09:19 AM
Just got my 5.8 Crosshair. Thanks Hugo!

ccsj
29th May 2013, 05:58 PM
I really want to get one of these. Can you help confirm that the stock at readymaderc has the "formed covers"? I know you answered this several months back, but just want to make sure with current stock. Thanks

HugeOne
29th May 2013, 06:06 PM
Yes, they are all formed covers now, the pic on RMRC is quite old.

Hugo

ccsj
29th May 2013, 06:25 PM
Ordered!!! Can't wait to try it!!! Thanks for your quick response.

ccsj
3rd June 2013, 07:01 PM
I am a believer. Great antenna. I flew out to 1km with no video degradation. I had my crosshair mounted at ~30deg on my fatshark and have to tilt my head up a bit - will apply gentle heat and bend up a bit more. I had to give very little effort to move my head to get best signal. Most time it will just stay good. When white horizontal line starts to come, I just move a bit. Great antenna. I would have gone further but my receiver fail safe had kicked in. Will now need to sort out my receiver range to keep up with extended video range!!!

ccsj
17th June 2013, 06:58 PM
Hugo,
For some reason, I seem to be getting significantly less range than I was able to achieve initially. I wonder if I accidentally damaged the delicate parts in the antenna while I tried to bend the post further to give me proper angle. I started getting some noise even within 1km and completely lost video at 1.6km. Appreciate if you can help me debug. I don;t remember ever powering the tx/rx on without antenna. thanks

HugeOne
17th June 2013, 11:22 PM
Pmed you....

CrashAffinity
18th June 2013, 01:11 AM
suppose i'll pipe in.... i've had this crosshair for a few months, it's my 'go to' antenna. on my quads i get 2km easy with a CL on the quad/hex, and on my glider i get 4km... love it... my helix antennas got used once and then got packed back in the box.

ccsj
21st June 2013, 12:47 AM
Here are the angles I have set up on Fatshark attitude.

ummagawd
11th October 2013, 06:17 PM
Anyone that's owned a 3-turn heli that's now tried this care to share their observations? Wondering if it's worth to try this cool little piece.

Dawagner
25th October 2013, 10:06 AM
How are the crosshair's compared to the tbs 5 db patch in terms of range and quality of signal? I'm rocking the patch rx and a spironet 3 lobe tx for my gear atm and looking for a bit better punch and range.

Also anyone have the dual hammer fan tx antenna mounted on their quad w photos? I'm looking at that combo on your site Hugo.

IBCrazy
25th October 2013, 11:26 AM
Ummagwd - The crosshair has much better range and can penetrate trees far better than a 3 turn helical. However, the beamwidth is not nearly as wide and also is not as forgiving if you wander out of the beam. In most cases, the Crosshair's 100 degree beam is fairly easy to stay within.

Dawagner - The Crosshair will give twice the range of the TBS patch. It also has far better penetration. If using it, I would suggest a windmill or a Fan antenna to go with it for a truly awesome picture.

-Alex

Dawagner
25th October 2013, 11:35 AM
Awesome just what I wanted to know. Thanks a ton!!!

HugeOne
26th October 2013, 12:27 AM
Ummagwd - The crosshair has much better range and can penetrate trees far better than a 3 turn helical. However, the beamwidth is not nearly as wide and also is not as forgiving if you wander out of the beam. In most cases, the Crosshair's 100 degree beam is fairly easy to stay within.

Dawagner - The Crosshair will give twice the range of the TBS patch. It also has far better penetration. If using it, I would suggest a windmill or a Fan antenna to go with it for a truly awesome picture.

-Alex

Thank you Alex for helping with support, I am in extremely busy with a home remodeling project and have difficulties coming here often.
Really appreciated.

-Hugo

Dawagner
1st November 2013, 02:58 PM
These will for right onto the tbs fatshark dom 5.8 rx modules and their tx's correct? Or will it need an adaptor? Didn't see any choices for connector type on your site.

HugeOne
1st November 2013, 05:26 PM
Check readymaderc, they have both SMA and RP-SMA model. TBS rx use RP-SMA.

Hugo

blacknose2010
6th November 2013, 09:25 PM
Hi Hugo,

I would have a special need for the x-hair, I want to use one x-hair as TX antenna on my Quad, facing vertical in the air and another x-hair on the VRx on the bottom of a plane facing vertical to the ground (-> the lowflying quad). The airplane circles right above the quad at high altitude most of the time.My questions are:

1. Could I use a 200mW VTx or will the x-hair be fried because of the very small "hairs" ?
2. What do you think about this setup ?

regards

Julian

HugeOne
7th November 2013, 12:34 AM
1. Absolutely no problem using it as Tx antenna.

2. Now that is the kind of mad scientist plan I like! I had this scenario running in my head for a while:
"A big plane like an X-8 or the like carry a small quad. Once at destination it switch into loiter mode and a video switch pass from the flight cam to a 5.8 rx that relay the video from the quad that is released from high altitde. The small quad now have it's own "satellite" and can fly just anywhere. Once the quad is flat, it land where it can be found and the big plane is flown back. EPIC"

-Hugo

blacknose2010
7th November 2013, 04:54 AM
Damn, yeah, thats exactly what I am planing to do !! :-)
But also so plane will relay the RC signals to the quad.
I think all of the 12ch of my dragonlink will be used :p
Its winter so I have time to execute my evil plans :)

Thanks for the info on the x-hair ! :)

Regards
Julian

Hucker
7th November 2013, 05:26 AM
I was just talking about this with a friend today...look forward to seeing the video!

blacknose2010
7th November 2013, 06:49 AM
And I was just thinking about this in my head...It will take an amount of time till I can post videos of it ;)

Stringer
7th November 2013, 06:56 AM
Apparently, the guy who did these flights (http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?22115-Thailand-FPV-video-incredible-range&highlight=thailand) had another quad up high on position lock which acted like a satellite/relay station.

blacknose2010
14th November 2013, 06:02 PM
Hi, back again,

I would actually like to use my 2,4Ghz M-Link FHSS RC-TX on the "carrier plane" to work as RC-Relay for the quad, but I also want to
use a 2,4Ghz Video-Tx for the link between the plane and groundstation...

would the FHSS TX interfere with my groundstation video Receiver even if its lets say minimum 5Kms out ?

the only solution if It would not work would be buying a second dragonlink tx/rx set to work as relay on the plane wich is $$$.

regards

Julian

HugeOne
18th November 2013, 01:59 AM
Tell me I understand well:

RC: Radio > Dragon link UHF > carrier plane > M-Link 2.4GHz > quad
Video: Quad 5.8 Vtx > Carrier plane 5.8 rx > carrier plane 2.4Vtx > GS.

The 2.4 M-link will probably add a bit of noise floor to the Vrx.
My concern is more toward the quad RC rx being affected by the Vtx...

-Hugo

blacknose2010
18th November 2013, 08:02 AM
Tell me I understand well:

RC: Radio > Dragon link UHF > carrier plane > M-Link 2.4GHz > quad
Video: Quad 5.8 Vtx > Carrier plane 5.8 rx > carrier plane 2.4Vtx > GS.

The 2.4 M-link will probably add a bit of noise floor to the Vrx.
My concern is more toward the quad RC rx being affected by the Vtx...

-Hugo

Yes you did understand very well.
I have no doubt that the quads RC rx will be much affected because it uses FHSS.
I think if I first power on the 2.4Vtx and then the M-Link 2.4Ghz tx, the M-link would avoid using
the messed up channels.
I think I just have to test this in the field when its the time to do so.
At the moment I am building the carrier plane and have to get this all working first.
And its time now to start my own thread about this, as I dont want to get too offtopic here ;)

regards Julian

Thomas Nelson
22nd November 2013, 02:05 PM
I have enjoyed my x-hair all summer long and thought I would add my own Kudos to the thread. The beam width is sufficiently wide that I am going to try it with my head tracker goggles. I realize I will need to reset center on the goggles from time to time, but from my experience with it so far I am expecting this to work.

On my wishlist: goggles with built-in diversity. With an Omni and x-hair of course!

tn

Stringer
23rd November 2013, 11:43 AM
I have enjoyed my x-hair all summer long and thought I would add my own Kudos to the thread. The beam width is sufficiently wide that I am going to try it with my head tracker goggles. I realize I will need to reset center on the goggles from time to time, but from my experience with it so far I am expecting this to work.

On my wishlist: goggles with built-in diversity. With an Omni and x-hair of course!

tn

Wish granted: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/skyzone-fpv-gogglesmatte-black-p-1218.html

Efti
30th March 2014, 03:27 AM
I tested this antenna yesterday and had picture 8.5 km on my AIO googles! 1W vtx on a FPV raptor.
Very happy with it :)

rotary65
30th March 2014, 05:27 PM
Just wanted to post a note about my antenna SWR tests with my IRC Powermeter. Out of all my antennae, the two TRC 5.8 Crosshairs tested better than all the others I have. Considering the complexity of building the Crosshairs in this size, Hugo is a remarkable craftsman with incredible skill. (Lower is better)

3.482 Circular Wireless 4-lobe

2.215 Bluebeam Mad Mushroom

2.097 TrueRC Horizon

1.666 Bluebeam SPW 4-lobe

1.567 IRC 4-lobe Spironet

1.368 IRC 3-lobe Spironet

1.367 TrueRC Crosshair 1

1.312 Fatshark whip

1.248 TrueRC Crosshair 2

OtherHand
15th May 2015, 01:43 PM
I picked up one of these for use with goggles in March of 2014 from RMRC. Worked really well and liked it a lot. However recently it just quit working. When I shake it I can clearly hear something loose and rattling around inside the plastic shield.

So my question is, is there any chance of me opening up the plastic and resoldering whatever came loose? Or is the tuning on these so critical that I should just toss it and get a new one?

HugeOne
15th May 2015, 02:42 PM
I picked up one of these for use with goggles in March of 2014 from RMRC. Worked really well and liked it a lot. However recently it just quit working. When I shake it I can clearly hear something loose and rattling around inside the plastic shield.

So my question is, is there any chance of me opening up the plastic and resoldering whatever came loose? Or is the tuning on these so critical that I should just toss it and get a new one?

Sorry for that. Around sept. 14 I switched from wire elements to PCB. Heat the back until the glue melt and remove the cover, take a pic and send to hugochamb@hotmail.com along with your shipping address :)

-Hugo

Djob
14th September 2015, 12:09 AM
Yes you did understand very well.
I have no doubt that the quads RC rx will be much affected because it uses FHSS.
I think if I first power on the 2.4Vtx and then the M-Link 2.4Ghz tx, the M-link would avoid using
the messed up channels.
I think I just have to test this in the field when its the time to do so.
At the moment I am building the carrier plane and have to get this all working first.
And its time now to start my own thread about this, as I dont want to get too offtopic here ;)

regards Julian
I gotta see this :) love the concept

Blankety Blank
19th September 2015, 05:05 AM
From a n00b who has only flown one season, just wanted to drop in and thank you for a tremendous product.

Cheers

HugeOne
19th September 2015, 01:44 PM
From a n00b who has only flown one season, just wanted to drop in and thank you for a tremendous product.

Cheers

Thx! :)

-Hugo