PDA

View Full Version : Need help/opinons deciding which fpv to purchase

ssam99
14th August 2012, 05:04 PM
I have a 2.4ghz Jr radio. I'm trying to decided which fpv combo to purchase. I was thinking 900mhz system with diversity. Mostly LOS flying, occasional longer distances.

any opinions.

IBCrazy
14th August 2012, 06:01 PM
This one: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=433

If you need more range than 1500 feet, get a 7.5 dbic helical for the receiver to get you ~4000 feet. A 9.5dbic helical on the receiver will get you just over a mile which is the limit of your JR radio.

-Alex

ssam99
14th August 2012, 06:27 PM
i found this on rcgroups. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1711368#post22447034 I wanted the diversity. but he has patch antennas?? is there something im missing there.
thanks for the link. I'm looking at my options.

IBCrazy
14th August 2012, 06:29 PM
Why do you want diversity? What makes you think you need it?

-Alex

Carbon
14th August 2012, 06:33 PM
oh here it comes! Haha, keep it simple
It will save you time, money, and frustration.

ssam99
14th August 2012, 06:36 PM
advise please seems like you dont think i'll need it for what im doing? another question, I like the coolness of an antenna tracker. is that really needed for this type of setup that u listed above? thanks

Antennas - Circular Wireless Long Range SPW/Helical Combo (is this the antenna you recommended?)
Camera - RMRC-420XV NTSC
Video Transmitter - FatShark 100mW 5.8GHz
Video Receiver - Uno5800 5.8GHz Receiver
Video Goggles - None
Batteries - 1100mAh RMRC Batteries for TX and RX
OSD - Eagle Tree OSD Pro Package (Integrated Connectors)

Flyz'nflyz
14th August 2012, 07:25 PM
Start out simple,camera,vtx/rx,antenna(s) (you'll want cp antennas if using 5.8Ghz Bluebeams are good) and a plane your comfortable flying that can also carry the gear.
There is a good deal of fun for a new guy to be had keeping within 500m.

Got my gear at RMRC over 6 mo ago,5.8Ghz Aviator goggles,5.8Ghz 100mw vtx,Blubeam cloverleaf (built my own spw for the vrx) and a RMRC 480XV camera.
That set up has been on 3 different airframes and (Super Cub,a scratchbuilt pusher like a Skywalker and now is on my 53'' wing.
It's been a blast,really great fun and all within 500m!

Flyz'n

ssam99
14th August 2012, 07:31 PM
im going to be using it on a quadcopter. would that change anything?

Flyz'nflyz
14th August 2012, 07:40 PM
Sorry, no exp with fpving quads so couldn't say,but my guess is the same "keep it simple" though.

Flyz'n

Carbon
14th August 2012, 07:42 PM
I am by no means an expert, but this is what I would do:
5.8ghz 300mw tx/rx with two cloverleafs if you are flying around yourself, or a cloverleaf on tx, helical 5 turn on rx.
Just my 2 cents.

ssam99
14th August 2012, 07:43 PM
Start out simple,camera,vtx/rx,antenna(s) (you'll want cp antennas if using 5.8Ghz Bluebeams are good) and a plane your comfortable flying that can also carry the gear.

Got my gear at RMRC over 6 mo ago,5.8Ghz Aviator goggles,5.8Ghz 100mw vtx,Blubeam cloverleaf (built my own spw for the vrx) and a RMRC 480XV camera.
That set up has been on 3 different airframes and (Super Cub,a scratchbuilt pusher like a Skywalker and now is on my 53'' wing.

Flyz'n

With that system did u have any static on the video?

ssam99
14th August 2012, 07:44 PM
I am by no means an expert, but this is what I would do:
5.8ghz 300mw tx/rx with two cloverleafs if you are flying around yourself, or a cloverleaf on tx, helical 5 turn on rx.
Just my 2 cents.

unfortunately he only has the 100mW instock i think

Carbon
14th August 2012, 07:45 PM
If should be pretty clear. 5.8ghz is a fairly clean band.

ssam99
14th August 2012, 07:48 PM
If should be pretty clear. 5.8ghz is a fairly clean band.
Im guessing that 100mW transmitter is plenty power then for this range.

This might be a dumb question, those google work for people with prescription glasses?

MASHTON1138
14th August 2012, 07:49 PM
If you are looking for no static try a new hobby. You are going to have static to some extent even as you progress. That is the nature of the beast. The system Alex linked to is where I would also recommend you start. There is more to it than just slapping the gear someone else uses on your aircraft. You should really read a lot more it will save you time and money in the long run. This is a results may vary type of hobby, that is something you will need to get used to.

ssam99
14th August 2012, 07:52 PM
i have been reading, i've seen rmrc videos. trying to get a good gouge on what other people are using that works too. Appreciate the help.

ssam99
14th August 2012, 07:53 PM
Hey flynz how long does the battery power last on average for that fpv setup?

MASHTON1138
14th August 2012, 07:58 PM
Here take a look at what to expect from FPV while flying not after putting the GOPRO footage up ;) This thread shows what the video streams look like from a live feed. You can ask the guys tech questions via pm. You will find that most everyone flies more than one frequency. 5.8 is a good start if you want to keep that 2.4 radio, the other freqs available will allow for more flight styles.

ssam99
14th August 2012, 08:01 PM
Here take a look at what to expect from FPV while flying not after putting the GOPRO footage up ;) This thread shows what the video streams look like from a live feed. You can ask the guys tech questions via pm. You will find that most everyone flies more than one frequency. 5.8 is a good start if you want to keep that 2.4 radio, the other freqs available will allow for more flight styles.

wheres the thread?

MASHTON1138
14th August 2012, 08:04 PM
i have been reading, i've seen rmrc videos. trying to get a good gouge on what other people are using that works too. Appreciate the help.

Depends on the battery and the system's overall setup ie. 1 battery for everything or 1 for flight and one for FPV gear. I have setups that will run for an hour and a half or more and one that will run for 10minutes.

Look at how many amps the setup needs to run and then figure the time based on how many amp hours the battery will supply. Over simplified it will look something like this..... FPV gear draws 0.8 amps you have a 800mah battery (2s or 3s doesn't matter) that would basically amount to 1 hour of on time for the fpv gear if that battery does not run anything else.

MASHTON1138
14th August 2012, 08:05 PM
Hmm Link didn't show up here you go

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?6742-Video-Link-footage-ONLY!

Flyz'nflyz
14th August 2012, 08:08 PM

Flyz'n

With that system did u have any static on the video?

Yeah i did when using the stock antennas,especially while banking the plane through a turn,but that was expected since the stock antennas are linear.
Once switching to the Bluebeam circular polarized though the interference while banking is no longer an issue.

Not to say static doesn't happen because it does at times like if you fly directly overhead you'll loose signal because you are flying in the null of the antenna.
Also has hapend when flying over metal roof buildings,fence behind home plate too.lol
The first time you loose signal and see static in your goggles is a pretty interesting experience,after a while though you learn how to remain calm and fly through it.

Flyz'n

Flyz'nflyz
14th August 2012, 08:37 PM
Hey flynz how long does the battery power last on average for that fpv setup?

The battery powering the vtx and camera (powerd off the vtx) is a 3s 480 mah and i've made 3 20 min flights with it.

Flyz'n

ssam99
14th August 2012, 08:46 PM
everyone. thanks for the info.. being very helpful. ill get some pics up of the quadcopter soon as i get it all set up

ssam99
15th August 2012, 04:55 AM
another question. when using the helical antenna on the receiver. How are you supposed to orient the antenna?

i think this is what im going to purchase

Antennas - Circular Wireless Skew Planar Wheel Omni Combo
Camera - RMRC-600XV NTSC
Video Goggles - None
Batteries - 460mAh RMRC Batteries for TX and RX

and this 5.8 GHZ 5 Turn Helical (9.5 dBic) (IBC) (http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1023)

whakahere
15th August 2012, 08:11 AM
another question. when using the helical antenna on the receiver. How are you supposed to orient the antenna?

i think this is what im going to purchase

Antennas - Circular Wireless Skew Planar Wheel Omni Combo
Camera - RMRC-600XV NTSC
Video Goggles - None

and this 5.8 GHZ 5 Turn Helical (9.5 dBic) (IBC) (http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1023)

My advice is not to get an OSD for a start ... forget the pro package. You are using the uno with a 100w ... you are not going to need a osd with the range you will be flying. save that money for another day. I run all my planes on a 1 battery system as it makes it easier to charge the batteries and can help making the copter a few grams lighter.

ssam99
15th August 2012, 01:21 PM
How are you supposed to orient the antenna?

Carbon
15th August 2012, 01:37 PM
I would go with a cloverleaf, more effective.

Vitamin J
15th August 2012, 01:42 PM
Just point the helical towards the plane, there is no up or down.

ssam99
15th August 2012, 01:57 PM
will do

ssam99
15th August 2012, 02:05 PM
Just point the helical towards the plane, there is no up or down.

If i have to keep it pointed at the aircraft. antenna tracker is needed? dont wanna have to keep moving it around manually while trying to fly

ssam99
15th August 2012, 02:08 PM
My advice is not to get an OSD for a start ... forget the pro package. You are using the uno with a 100w ... you are not going to need a osd with the range you will be flying. save that money for another day. I run all my planes on a 1 battery system as it makes it easier to charge the batteries and can help making the copter a few grams lighter.

what are u using on ur copter for fpv? any interference with having 4 motors.

Vitamin J
15th August 2012, 02:28 PM
If i have to keep it pointed at the aircraft. antenna tracker is needed? dont wanna have to keep moving it around manually while trying to fly
This is where you need to start browsing around the forum and answering your questions yourself. You point the antenna in the general direction of flight, it's beam is in the shape of a cone so the farther you fly out the more space it covers.

ssam99
15th August 2012, 02:39 PM
This is where you need to start browsing around the forum and answering your questions yourself. You point the antenna in the general direction of flight, it's beam is in the shape of a cone so the farther you fly out the more space it covers.

i have been browsing, not just this one either.

ssam99
17th August 2012, 11:32 AM
critique this: gonna go ahead and get a long range system so I wont have to upgrade a lot later. would this equipment work well together?

EZUHF Combo Starter Package - Diversity (http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=926:a2b6275c07ea5032d3f14cf76d8c16c9)

Trainer Cord Option - JR/Spektrum/Fly-Sky Mono Trainer Cord
Antennas - Right Angle RX Antenna(s)

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/bmz_cache/4/477698734d51f1286f6e8ed6815449b7.image.32x40.JPGCu stom FPV Starter Package: 5.8GHz (http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=433:bc8c68287ab695cb7b98c162e3f5852e)

Antennas - ImmersionRC SpiroNET Cloverleaf-Skew Planar Antenna Set
Camera - RMRC-420XV NTSC
Video Transmitter - ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8GHz
Video Goggles - None
OSD - ImmersionRC EZOSD

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/bmz_cache/2/2c487829197470d0301f9d81e710501d.image.50x37.jpg5. 8 GHz HELIAXIAL58 (5645-5945 MHz) RCHP 12dBic Helical Antenna (http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1026)

IBCrazy
17th August 2012, 01:15 PM
The heliaxial is one serious antenna. If you are asking about a starter set, that's certainly not for you. Look at a 7.5-10dbic helical. I'd lean towards a 3 turn (7.5dbic) as this is what I personally fly.

Also, 5.8GHz is a poor choice for distance. Go with 2.3GHz or 1.3GHz. A cloverleaf or a windmill on the plane and a 9.5dbic helical on the ground will do well. It'll blow that 5.8GHz system away no matter how good of an antenna you have on the 5.8GHz.

-Alex

motoguy
17th August 2012, 01:26 PM
One point that finally clicked for me: The quality if equipment tends to improve with time, and the costs tend to drop. This means you may be shooting yourself in the foot buying "bells and whistles" that you don't need right now. By the time you're ready to use it, you may find that the system you have (for which you paid a premium), is now discounted, outdated, or at worst orphaned. If you wait to buy the "pro" stuff until you need it, you may find better bang for your buck. In addition to that, you may find that integration, system improvements, or advancements made here may change your opinion of your needs / wants.

I've got a RV 5.8ghz setup on my Champ. This is how I'm going to learn FPV. My Haier 10" monitor is on the way, and I'd like to add a DVR of some sort. Aside from that, I don't know it makes sense for me to purchase more components at this time. Do I want to fly 15miles, with RTH, autopilot, real-time telemetry, GPS and live-tracking on Google earth? Sure I do! But first, I need to figure out the basics of flying FPV.

I've been on the hunt the last few days to order my 1.3 system, which I'll put on the Radian, SuperCub, SkySurfer, or SkyWalker (all spare airframes sitting in the shop). I had an order set up at RMRC for all the good stuff. Just before clicking "buy", I realized I've got all I need on-hand with my 5.8 setup. There's no reason I can't use the 5.8 setup on one of the other airframes, once I look to expand my FPV beyond the local park (that's why it's on the Champ for now).

Just my $0.02, from someone who has wasted a lot of $ at various times, trying to run before I could crawl.

nolaspring
20th August 2012, 03:29 PM
I just got into FPV and I started off with this: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=433
I got the bluebeam whip set and haven't yet purchased set of goggles.
My 'base station' consists of a tripod with the receiver mounted onto it. The receiver is connected to a 20' long av cable (one video and single channel audio). The AV cable runs to a 7 inch LCD screen. I have a gorilla pod tripod that hooks on the back of the LCD screen and I mount it to a tree or goalpost or whatever I have available to me where I decide to set up. I have 2 batteries (one to power the receiver and one to power the screen) and that's it. Setting up is as simple as parking, finding a good tree branch or post, setting up the tripod in the middle of the field and plugging everything in. The setup works great for me. I can fit it into a backpack and carry the RX and my quad anywhere into the park where I fly.
Even with it being so simple, I have to practice setting it up and taking it down in my backyard. I pack everything up inside, walk out to my yard and set up as if I'm setting up in the field. I've found with FPV that there are way to many variables and too many distractions to not have your act together before you go fly. I've read stories where guys have hiked miles into a place or up a mountain only to forget something and not be able to fly. If you forget to do something and get in the air, things can go catastrophically wrong. I've found that a couple of times I've forgot to charge a battery or my GoPro and the time window I have to fly is shot.
Eventually when I save up the cash I'm going to add some goggles to my package so my spotter can use the screen and fly along with me. After that I plan on adding an OSD simply for the purpose of watching my battery voltage. When I get comfortable and have even more cash to throw into this I plan on adding diversity and a tracker and one of those 7dbi antennas.
I feel that right now keeping it as 'simple' as I have is why I'm successful.