PDA

View Full Version : Fat shark Dom w/5.8 rx and UNO5800 5.8 on at the same time?

mrk172
18th July 2012, 10:52 PM
Hi, I have the FS Dominator goggles with 5.8rx as well as the uno5800 rx. and immersionRC 600mw TX.

Would I have a better signal or instead have link issues if I had both the built in dominator rx running wireless and the uno5800 rx a few feet away on a tripod? both set to the same video channel as the TX?

McCleary.11
18th July 2012, 11:36 PM
I believe what you are trying to achieve is Rx diversity (switching to the receiver with the best signal). With the Fatshark goggles I have, (not the Dominators) I must select which video I want to use. This is either "video in" or use the onboard rx. What you are saying is not a possibility if I understand it correctly.

mrk172
19th July 2012, 06:08 AM
I guess I'm trying to see if one of the receivers can act as a repeater.

RTRyder
19th July 2012, 08:48 AM
I guess I'm trying to see if one of the receivers can act as a repeater.

The receiver would need to have transmit capability to act as a repeater. I have built a setup where I get 1.3ghz video from the aircraft at the ground station which is then fed into a splitter and one of the outputs from the splitter goes to a 5.8 ghz video transmitter so I can use my Dominator goggles with the 1.3 ghz system. In this case it acts as a relay rather than a repeater because there are different frequencies involved but the end result is the same, I can be a substantial distance from the ground station using this setup and get additional range by placing the G/S away from where I am but within the range of the 5.8 link.

mrk172
19th July 2012, 08:54 AM
The receiver would need to have transmit capability to act as a repeater. I have built a setup where I get 1.3ghz video from the aircraft at the ground station which is then fed into a splitter and one of the outputs from the splitter goes to a 5.8 ghz video transmitter so I can use my Dominator goggles with the 1.3 ghz system. In this case it acts as a relay rather than a repeater because there are different frequencies involved but the end result is the same, I can be a substantial distance from the ground station using this setup and get additional range by placing the G/S away from where I am but within the range of the 5.8 link.

This is EXACTLY the information I was looking for. Thank you!!

hadriez
6th September 2012, 01:10 PM

Relay seems interesting as I could use my AIO 5.8g goggles and get 1.3g video.
What kind of splitter do you use? Care to share a link of the product that you use?

And what kind of cable do you use to hook up between the splitter and the 5.8g vtx?

Cheers

Hotdog1
6th September 2012, 01:40 PM
I have been thinking of doing something like this for a while, Alex "Ibcrazy" has a similar setup

hadriez
6th September 2012, 03:02 PM
I have been thinking of doing something like this for a while, Alex "Ibcrazy" has a similar setup

yeah seems very interesting.. you can just place your g/s anywhere you want like on top of your car (the higher the better) :o at least by this way, you dont need to sit on top of your car as well since the cable to hook the g/s to your goggles is not long enough .. lol

imagebuff
6th September 2012, 04:30 PM
I highly recommend this setup. Been using it for a while now. I despise wires.

Chris

hadriez
6th September 2012, 09:04 PM
I highly recommend this setup. Been using it for a while now. I despise wires.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Any information/recommendation on the video splitter/cables included for your setup?

imagebuff
7th September 2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks Chris. Any information/recommendation on the video splitter/cables included for your setup?

I use an eagletree diversity setup that already has multiple video outputs. One goes to a recorder and one goes to a 100mw 5.8ghz TX to relay to the fatshark goggles.

glacier51
11th September 2012, 06:29 PM
I'm waiting on a Uno that will be mounted on top of a 20ft PVC pole mast to do the 5.8ghz repeater thing.

The Immersion 600mW Tx on the hexa will transmit on the highest 5.8ghz channel to the Uno. Coming out of one of the video ports of the Uno, I'm making a cable to connect the RCA out cables to a Immersion 100mW TX camera connector. That will go out on the lowest 5.8ghz channel, to be received by my Fatsharks.

rotary65
17th September 2012, 01:56 PM
That's what I`m doing with my GS setup too. Two Uno 5.8 vRxes (one with a TrueRC directional crosshair, one with an omni CP cloverleaf), diversity and video distribution using Eagle Eyes, 100mW 5.8 Fatshark vTX (on a different channel) with monopole sending the wireless video to Fatshark Predators with monopole. I`m just waiting for a couple more components to arrive.

A 20' pole! Now that`ll give it come height!

henlo
2nd October 2012, 09:42 AM
That's what I`m doing with my GS setup too. Two Uno 5.8 vRxes (one with a TrueRC directional crosshair, one with an omni CP cloverleaf), diversity and video distribution using Eagle Eyes, 100mW 5.8 Fatshark vTX (on a different channel) with dipole sending the wireless video to Fatshark Predators with dipole. I`m just waiting for a couple more components to arrive.

A 20' pole! Now that`ll give it come height!

Can you PLEASE post a pic of your setup? Pics talk better than words! LOL

rotary65
2nd October 2012, 02:03 PM
A photograph won't show the connection details all that well, so here is a PDf wiring diagram.

henlo
4th October 2012, 05:32 AM
A photograph won't show the connection details all that well, so here is a PDf wiring diagram.

Thanks, that help a lot! But will the 5.8 of the 2 x uno's not interfere with the 5.8 of the F/S?

rotary65
4th October 2012, 06:38 AM
No, since they're on different channels it works fine. You can keep one channel or more separating them if you like.

The downsides to this approach include using an extra channel (on the same or another band) so you can't fly with as many friends and it adds more complexity/points of failure.

henlo
4th October 2012, 07:20 AM
Thanks! That brings me to my next question. Must the plane have 2 x Vrx then? If so, must they be on different channels?

rotary65
4th October 2012, 08:41 AM
The plane needs to have only have 1 vTx (transmitter, not receiver). The two receivers on the ground stations both receive the same signal (on the same channel) and the strongest signal is chosen and output to the display (in this case, via another transmitter on the ground station to the receiver in my goggles) by the diversity controller (the Eagle Eyes in my case). It is typical to use two different antenna types (e.g. omni directional with a high gain directional) or to use simlar antennae pointed in different directions to increase the effective fresnel zone (think of it as the maximum angle and distance between the RX and TX). Personally, I have different several antennae and select the two most appropriate for my flight plan at the time.

That's not to say you couldn`t use two vTxes (or more) on an aircraft. In fact, it's been done. But that's beyond the scope of what we're talking about in this thread.

henlo
4th October 2012, 09:08 AM
It all make sense now! :-) I also have a ETree system. What's the difference between your system & ImmersionRC DUO5800V2. I only have 1x uno5800 at the moment with a 600mw Vtx...

rotary65
4th October 2012, 11:03 AM
The DUO5800 has two vRxes with a built-in diversity controller with one output (actually two physical output jacks, but the same video signal). You don't need that if you are going to use your EagleEyes box as the diversity controller. If you want diversity capability, either buy a second Uno vRx and use the EagleEyes as the diversity controller, or buy the more expensive Duo5800 diversity receiver and get rid of the EagleEyes altogether (unless you want the additional video outputs (the Duo5800 has two a/v outputs, just like the Uno5800 does) or want to use it's tracking (overkill with diversity and harder to get working right. Note that Immersion R/C tracker that is designed to work with the Duo5800 is called Trackerlink).

I already had the EagleEyes and have Immersion R/C transmitters and receivers, so it made sense to me to just add a second Uno5800.

I like the EagleEyes because if you have their Power Panel plugged into it, it will display the last GPS coordinates it receives from the EagleTree OSD Pro with GPS via telemetry. This is very nice to have in the event of a crash. I get a lot of capability from the EagleEyes (video distribution amplifier, diversity controller and telemetry for my Eagle Tree equipment on my aircraft).

Short answer: Just buy a second Uno5800 if you want diversity.

henlo
4th October 2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks for your detailed answer, it all make sense to me. :-) With the crosshair you get a lot of range. How do you stay in that range without a tracker?

rotary65
4th October 2012, 11:41 AM
You're welcome!

The crosshair has a very wide and long fresnel zone, so it's pretty easy to stay within the zone. I fly multirotors and much of that is close and low, so I can either use the crosshair on my FatShark Predators with the built-in RX (I just connect the DVR to the video out on the goggles) and point my head to maintain signal, or I use my full diversity setup with two crosshairs (aimed 68 degrees apart for a remarkable 276 degrees at 3dB - that's in either vertical or horizonal depending on how they're mounted, it's 138 degrees in the non-stacked axis), or with a CP omni and one crosshair for range within a high gain 138 degree zone with an omni directional zone for close in all around me (but not above me - there's a null zone) . In all case, if I see the signal dropping (as opposed to short noise), I turn to restore the signal.

With airplanes, you typically fly longer distances in straighter lines, so you can use a crosshair with it's huge fresnel zone and high gain to fly out and back without any tracking. Use two crosshairs amounted to point 68 degress between them and you have 276 degrees (at 3dB gain) to play with - that`s almost like omni!

You need to match the antennae to your flight plan and fly within the net fresnel zone (which you can "see" through the quality of the video signal).

henlo
4th October 2012, 11:58 AM
That's a lot of good info! What range can I expect with a crosshair? I have a 600mw vtx on my plane...

rotary65
4th October 2012, 12:31 PM
Tough question because the actual performance will depend on many things. Theoretically, it can give up to 10db gain (many kilometers), but it depends on how well it was built (better to buy one from True RC - quality built and tested with SWR meter. The 5.8 in particular is extremely tricky to build and get right), your specific installation and the environment (RF interference, obstacles - including the ones on your aircraft - e.g. battery, camera, etc.). Long range flying is for the highly seasoned experts (of which I am not one!) and those who do not get bored easily(!).