PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Eyes not receiving telemetry... any ideas?

Derrick
18th July 2012, 12:29 AM
My Eagle Eyes is not receiving telemetry from the OSD Pro. The LED light on the Eagle Eyes module does not blink and I can't program the antenna tracker pan/tilt settings. I have confirmed that telemetry is on in the menu setting and that the screen is not set to "narrow mode". I have also searched this issue over on RC Groups and found someone that seemed to have the same issue (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1380860), I toggled "narrow mode" from no to yes, and then back to no and this did not solve the issue. I have also reset all settings to factory default as well as uninstall and reinstall the data recorder program on my computer. The OSD works great, Home arrow, GPS syncs up, I am able to scroll through the menus using option "B" (3 pos switch)... just can't get the Eagle eyes station to integrate. Has anyone else encountered this issue or have any ideas of what I could do?

Eagle Tree Setup:
Elogger V4 (firmware 1.15)
OSD PRO (firmware 2.51)
Eagle Eyes (Rev C1, firmware 1.18)
GPS Module

FPV Equipment (not sure this matters... but putting it here just in-case):
Foxtech 5.8gHz 200mW transmitter
Foxtech RC305 receiver
TrueWired Fan/Windmill from TrueRC

Wiring...
from VRx->EE In1
from EEOut (one next to the LEDs) -> Video Goggles

GLEvideo
18th July 2012, 10:05 AM
You have good solid video link? The telemetry is embedded somewhere within the first 22 scan lines of the video, just outside of the picture area at the top of the raster. Poor video then probably no telemetry.

Derrick
18th July 2012, 10:22 AM
As good of video as I can... the TX is basically sitting on top of the RX on the bench, GPS also has Satellite lock.

Could it be that the plane is to close... for instance that the station won't receive telemetry because the plane sitting on top of the ground station?

EAGLETREE
18th July 2012, 03:23 PM
Hi Derrick,

Sorry you are having trouble with EE telemetry. Note that narrow/wide is not going to cause any problems. For the last year or so, the EE will detect that setting automatically.

There are a couple of things to try:

1) I would recommend upgrading to our beta software version 10.43 or later, from the support page of our website, and update your OSD and EE firmware. There are several improvements to telemetry in that version.
2) If the problem persists, could you try a direct connection between the OSD's video output and hte EE's video input? That would eliminate a potential issue with the TX/RX (but that would be rare indeed).
3) Just to confirm, is the video rolling or shifting? That can cause telemetry issues.

Please let me know what you find!

Derrick
18th July 2012, 03:54 PM
1) I am at work now... I will attempt the update to the Beta versions when I get home.
2) I do not have a cable to do this... male servo to RCA, I should have enough parts in the scrap bin to solder one up though (I would prefer to not do this though)
3) The video is solid... it is not rolling and or shifting at all.

I will report after I try updating... thank you for the support and getting back to me. I appreciate it.

Derrick
18th July 2012, 10:06 PM
Alright... Updated to new firmware for the Data Recording software. I have also updated all of the firmware for the EloggerV4, Eagle Eyes, and OSDPro. I am still having the same issue. Again, the OSDPro is working great! I have the display as well as satellite lock, just doesn't appear that I am receiving telemetry and I am unable to configure the pan/tilt angles.

Derrick
19th July 2012, 08:33 PM
I was hoping to get this all figured out and do some testing this weekend... Can anyone think of anything else to try?

EAGLETREE
23rd July 2012, 04:12 PM
HI Derrick, sorry, I should have noticed this before. The RC305 receiver is presently incompatible with the EagleEyes. :( We have just received one in-house, and are setting it up now, to try to find what is going on with this receiver, and hopefully to find a workaround in the EE firmware. I will post here when I have some news.

Derrick
23rd July 2012, 04:26 PM
That is a bummer, from what I understand this is the best 5.8GHz receiver on the market right now... very sensitive. I will hook up with a 1280mHz system that I have to verify that the EE station works, however I do not intend to fly with this on my plane because the antennas are very large compared to 5.8. Do you have any known 5.8GHz systems that the EE works with?

Derrick

EAGLETREE
23rd July 2012, 04:28 PM
Hi Derrick,

The only EE incompatibility we are tracking is with the RC305, so I seriously doubt that you'll have an issue with any other 5.8GHz system. I hope we will be able to address the incompatibility in firmware.

Derrick
23rd July 2012, 04:33 PM
Me too... I would not have purchased the EE, or chosen a different 5.8 system if I had known this. Do you think that you will identify the issue? time frame? if not it might be a good idea to update your documentation so that others don't do the same thing I did and buy incompatible equipment.

Have you tested with the RC805 receiver?

SecretSpy711
23rd July 2012, 04:35 PM
post redacted, Derrick beat me to it...

Papa_lazerous
23rd July 2012, 04:40 PM
Very strange, I have a fully working eagleeyes setup with a pair of RC305 5.8ghz connected.....

Derrick
23rd July 2012, 06:06 PM
Very strange, I have a fully working eagleeyes setup with a pair of RC305 5.8ghz connected.....

Could you please post your setup?

Camera: ?
Video TX: ?
Video Receiver: RC305
OSD: ?
What firmware is everything running?

Papa_lazerous
23rd July 2012, 06:26 PM
Could you please post your setup?

Camera: ?
Video TX: ?
Video Receiver: RC305
OSD: ?
What firmware is everything running?

I'm working tonight, once I've got home and slept I'll post details and pictures. I know everything except firmware versions off the top of my head.

Camera is securitycamera2000 600tvl
Video tx is bevrc 200mw 5.8
Rx is rc305
OSD is obviously OSDpro

Derrick
23rd July 2012, 09:40 PM
I am using the exact same camera and VTx, I am running the Beta firmware. I hope there is something that you are running that I am not so that I can get this working.

Vitamin J
23rd July 2012, 10:06 PM
It may just be the individual rx. The quality control on the 305's ain't the best. You may want to try another, you can borrow mine if you want.

Derrick
23rd July 2012, 10:13 PM
I can give that a go... I have another new in the box.

Derrick
25th July 2012, 02:07 PM
I'm working tonight, once I've got home and slept I'll post details and pictures. I know everything except firmware versions off the top of my head.

Camera is securitycamera2000 600tvl
Video tx is bevrc 200mw 5.8
Rx is rc305
OSD is obviously OSDpro

Any update Papa_l?

EAGLETREE
25th July 2012, 07:28 PM
Hi Derrick, we only recently started to get reports of the issues with RC305. We should have more info on the issue by the weekend. If we find that we can't make it work, we'll contact the vendor and also add a note about the incompatibility to website/manual. I don't have any data on the RC805. Papa_lazerous, that's very interesting that the Rx works fine for you. Does diversity also work correctly? Did you purchase your RC305 very recently? I sure hope we are able to reproduce the issue here with the one we received. :S

Papa_lazerous
25th July 2012, 07:50 PM
Apologies have been hectic the last few days, I went for a fly yesterday and meant to note down the firmware version when I got in after flying at the same time as downloading the flight data off of logger, but I was running tight on time to get to work and forgot.

@ eagletree diversity works, although it sometimes switches to a worse picture or switches between a perfect picture and a bad one for no reason. It's something that niggles but not the end of the world

I bought my rc305's within the last 8 months so not recently.

I took my skywalker out 8km and back on my last flight (new pb) and all of my eagletree gear worked flawlessly. To have a good picture at 8km on 200mw 5.8ghz tells me that there are no issues with my rc305 and my eagle eyes.

For those interested here is the flight track over google earth. http://db.tt/n5a1oDHc. The link is to the file on my dropbox

Derrick
26th July 2012, 09:36 AM
I'll send you my receiver, if the one that you are testing happens to work. It doesn't do me much good if I can't use it. That being said I have still not verified that the EE is functioning properly... Looks like I'll have to give the directly from the camera to the EE a go. I look forward to your results EagleTree... Thank you for the support.

Derrick
1st August 2012, 05:00 PM
Eagletree,

Have you had a chance to look into the RC305 issue at all? Thank you!

Derrick

tasscorp
1st August 2012, 06:33 PM
Maybe something related to the RC305's as I'm having the same issue that Papa_lazerous describes (switches to a worse picture or switches between a perfect picture and a bad one for no reason.) hope they can get a solution...

Derrick
1st August 2012, 06:36 PM
Maybe something related to the RC305's as I'm having the same issue that Papa_lazerous describes (switches to a worse picture or switches between a perfect picture and a bad one for no reason.) hope they can get a solution...

Me too... I can't imagine making a product that works with everything that is out there on the market. I applaud ET for making the effort.

EAGLETREE
1st August 2012, 07:49 PM
Papa_lazerous, thanks for the update. It sounds like there may be some variation in the hardware, though it does seem that you are having some degree of issue with diversity switching.

I apologize that we have not yet gotten this investigated - things keep coming up :(. I will have an update very soon, once we get a full understanding of what's going on. I am still hopeful we can resolve this with a firmware update.

Derrick
3rd August 2012, 10:34 PM
I apologize that we have not yet gotten this investigated - things keep coming up :(. I will have an update very soon, once we get a full understanding of what's going on. I am still hopeful we can resolve this with a firmware update.

Thank you for the update... looking forward to getting my pan and tilt system up and working.

Derrick
4th August 2012, 12:23 PM
SO... I really want to get this working with my RC305s (I have 2 of them)! however with functional antenna tracking diversity is pretty much pointless. Have you tested the EE station with the RC805 receiver?

Papa_lazerous
4th August 2012, 07:46 PM
SO... I really want to get this working with my RC305s (I have 2 of them)! however with functional antenna tracking diversity is pretty much pointless. Have you tested the EE station with the RC805 receiver?

The rc805 works the same I also own one of those units :-)

Derrick
5th August 2012, 12:48 PM
The rc805 works the same I also own one of those units :-)

By works the same do you mean that it works the same as an RC305, or it works the same as in your RC305s work just fine.

Greg
5th August 2012, 02:03 PM
Derrick, make sure you have the option turned on to send telemetry, in the OSDPro menus. Not sure if this was mentioned before. Does the EE telemetry LED flash/flicker at all?

Also, if you have a PC capture card, you can usually see the embedded data on the top most of the video.

Derrick
5th August 2012, 02:46 PM
I do have the option turned on... the LED does not flash or flicker. Unfortunately I do not have a capture card. I will hook everything up again this evening and verify all the settings.

EAGLETREE
6th August 2012, 10:59 PM
Quick update. I have examined the RC305 output under an oscilloscope. What is happening is that, with bright images, and especially during transition to bright, the synch information in the video is being badly distorted, at least in the setup here. This is causing the EE detect bad video frames, and hence the switching. The degree of severity of the distortion varies with the brightness of the image (using a WDR600 for this test, with adjustable brightness and other settings), so I suspect camera variation may at least partially explain why some people are seeing a a diversity issue with the RC305 and others aren't. As an aside, the monitor I am using here loses synch when this happens (though my goggles don't seem to).

Now, what do we do about it? I'm in the process of implementing some changes in the firmware which may be able to mitigate it. Those will take a few more days to finish, and then we'll need to test them with a variety of setups to confirm it works, and doesn't break diversity otherwise.

One thing that greatly reduces the diversity switching (at least here) is to reduce the sensitivity. If you are having this issue, and have not already tried a lower sensitivity (lowest is 1) please give that a try.

Derrick, regarding your original issue about no telemetry, I am not able to reproduce any telemetry issues, aside from a very brief telemetry dropout (much less than a second) when the image is quickly changed from very dark to very light. I think I'm going to need to send you a version of the EE firmware that logs telemetry status, to help narrow that issue down (I was sure hoping it would reproduce here). We have an additional RC305 on order to see if there is some variation that might explain it.

Derrick
7th August 2012, 12:42 AM
I have a second RC305... I'll gladly send you both my RC305 and EE station. Frankly, the EE station is useless to me if it isn't working and will just collect dust sitting on my desk. Send me a PM if you are interested in getting my hardware to look at.

tasscorp
7th August 2012, 10:17 AM
Eagletree, thanks for that !. Hope that we can get a solution. I can see that you guys are trying hard to solve the problem. Excellent customer service. Will be waiting for that update !!!

EAGLETREE
8th August 2012, 03:07 PM
tasscorp, thanks!

Derrick, I really appreciate that offer. I want to exhaust other possibilities before that, since we would probably need to get your camera and OSD also (to make sure we will be able to reproduce it).

I have just posted a new version of our "alpha" software here (http://www.eagletreesystems.com/latestapps/plane/alpha/setup.exe) that will let me rule out a potential cause of your telemetry issue. Would you mind giving that a try? You'd need to update your OSD and EE firmware, and if the issue is resolved, you should get the telemetry LED blink.

Derrick
8th August 2012, 03:27 PM
I will give it a try tonight and let you know... thank you for your efforts, fingers crossed!

Papa_lazerous
8th August 2012, 08:00 PM
I may try the alpha to see if my diversity switching gets better as it is a touch bad at times. After updating do I have to reconfigure everything? I do have config files saved for each plane that has an eagletree setup if I need to reload. Also does the servo analysis wizard need rerunning?

Derrick
8th August 2012, 09:16 PM
Alright… I have updated all the firmware to the following versions.

eLogger V4 Firmware Version 1.22
OSD Pro Firmware Version 2.69
EagleEyes Firmware Version 1.27

I hooked everything up as follows…
Video Reciever out to EE In1
EE Out (the one adjacent to the LEDs) to video goggles.
Next I selected the “Choose Parameters to display on Video OSD” under the “Hardware” tab.
After this I selected the “Configure On-Screen Parameters” selected “EagleEyes FPV Station Setup” from the dropdown.
Enable Telemetry parameter set to yes

After all of this, I am still not receiving telemetry. At least the LED isn’t blinking and I am unable to go through the pan and tilt servo angle calibration.

tasscorp
9th August 2012, 04:48 PM
What about the video switching ? Any news ?

I have installed the 1.27 firmware to my EE and will test it tomorrow. At least, whe I turn it on inside my house, last week the unit start beeping (switching between both RX) upon turned on. Today I wasn't able to get a fail, but I will test it tomorrow.

EAGLETREE
13th August 2012, 03:03 PM
Derrick, thanks for trying this, and I'm bummed it didn't fix it. :(

Next steps:
1) We have an additional RC305 that is enroute and should be here in the next day or so. Going to try that one in hopes that the telemetry issue reproduces.
2) I can't remember if you verified that bypassing the video Rx/Tx resulted in good telemetry? If not, that would imply some sort of a hardware or configuration issue that we have missed.
2a) If it does not, I will be sending you software that logs the EE telemetry function, and should let me see what is going wrong.
3) If that doesn't let us figure it out, I'll take you up on your kind offer of getting your equipment here.

EAGLETREE
13th August 2012, 03:04 PM
Derrick, one other thing. Could you post your OSD Pro configuration file (.TXT) here? Or, you could send that to us in a web ticket at http://ticket.eagletreesystems.com if that's easier. Sorry if you've done this step already and I'm forgetting. :S

Derrick
18th August 2012, 08:43 AM
I am currently on vacation... I will try these things when I return. Thank you again for your support.

Derrick

EAGLETREE
21st August 2012, 05:36 PM
All, an alpha (limited testing!) version of our software is posted here (http://www.eagletreesystems.com/latestapps/plane/alpha/setup.exe), that resolves most of the RC305 switching issues in our testing here. Please give it a try if you are seeing inappropriate diversity switching with this receiver. Note that this is "alpha" software so please do ground testing, etc.!

If this does not resolve your RC305 diversity issue, pls let me know as I think we can do further mitigation.

tasscorp
21st August 2012, 10:22 PM
Installed the 1.28 version. Thank will test it next weekend. THANKS

Derrick
23rd August 2012, 11:59 PM
I have some good news.

I soldered up an RCA plug to male servo lead and plugged the OSDPro directly to the EE Station and I have a telemetry light. This means that the issue is isolated to the receiver/Video transmitter.

tasscorp
25th August 2012, 04:26 PM
Eagle Tree, did you make any changes between 1.27 and 1.28 versions ? The 1.27 ALPHA version worked like a charm, not switching at all, excellent video. I have upgraded it to 1.28 as per your last post here and today was terrible, it keeps switching again and the image was very bad. Please advice ASAP !!!

Derrick
25th August 2012, 04:32 PM
I've been waiting on word for a couple days now... I don't think that he checks this forum daily.

tasscorp
25th August 2012, 04:50 PM
Hi Derrick, did you have a chance to test the 1.28 ?

Derrick
25th August 2012, 05:29 PM
Hi Derrick, did you have a chance to test the 1.28 ?

No, I can't get it to recieve telemetry through my Video TX/RX. Still having the same issue as described in post #1 of this thread.

Derrick
31st August 2012, 05:31 PM
Eagle Tree,

What is my next step?

Derrick

EAGLETREE
1st September 2012, 03:34 PM
Derrick/tasscorp, sorry for the delay. I was traveling last week and have been catching up this week.

tasscorp, this is very strange. EE firmware version 1.27 had only a small change for telemetry for Derrick, which would not have affected anything wrt diversity switching. EE firmware 1.28 has a workaround for the RC305 issue with diversity switching. Can you double-check that your EE is updated to 1.28? If it is, can you give me more details on what you are seeing? And, is your diversity sensitivity set to 5 or lower?

Also, note that the EE should not be doing anything to reduce the video quality. If you are seeing reduced video quality as well as rapid switching, I think something is going on elsewhere in the system. To confirm, if the video quality is bad, could you bypass the ET equipment to make sure that doesn't change?

Derrick, that's good news on the Rx/Tx bypass - thanks for trying it. At least we can rule out some sort of hardware problem with the ET equipment. At this point, what I think we need to do is take you up on your offer of sending us the equipment, if that will work for you. We'd need to get the camera, 1 RC305, your VTx, the OSD, and the EE. Then, we can get it hooked up under a debugger and oscilloscope and figure out exactly what is going on. My first suspicion is it's something related to the camera + RC305, but that needs to be verified. If this will work, could you open a ticket with us at http://ticket.eagletreesystems.com, and you'll be able to track the status of the testing there. Also, could you post your OSD Pro configuration file (.TXT) in the ticket, as I want to have a hard look at that in case there's something I can rule in our out. Thanks again for your patience with this!

Derrick
1st September 2012, 06:15 PM
I can send you the receiver and EE, however I can't part with my Vtx, OSD and camera.

Derrick
3rd September 2012, 11:14 PM
Eagle Tree Systems - Support Ticket Opened [#167653]

tasscorp
4th September 2012, 08:31 AM
Hi Eagle Tree, IT IS very weird. When you posted the solution for Derrick, I was thinking it has something to do with the switching also so I installed to. The switching stops completely. Y have a 25 min. video of a smooth flight that weekend. Later I've installed the 1.28 version and the switching came back. I re installed it and still lots of switching. Also between swtiches the image completely went away eventhough the plane was very close to the base.

EAGLETREE
5th September 2012, 06:35 PM
Derrick, will follow up in the ticket system!

Tasscorp, I think the first step is to determine what is causing the image to completely go away. Are you able to reproduce that? I think this is the root cause of the issue you are describing.

tasscorp
5th September 2012, 06:41 PM
I will try to record some footage this weekend so you can compare. The aircraft is absolutely the same configuration that was OK with the 1.27 version so as the ground station, no mods. Is it possible to have the 1.27 alpha version again ?

When the switching starts one of the images become very dizzy and when you already have had lots of switches, the image dissapears. The sensitivity was in 5.

tasscorp
7th September 2012, 06:55 PM
EagleTree, Now I'm quite sure that the problem is just as you`ve described. When the light gets so brilliant, the switching starts. Here's a short video of the problem. The antennas used are a SP and a patch. I've tried in everyway pointing the antennas in every direction and it always happened. The plane pointing to the blue sky shows no problem at all but when banking to the haze, the switching starts. (this is using the alpha 1.28 version)

https://vimeo.com/49046830

Worst results...

https://vimeo.com/49067302

BUT, the following video was recorded using the Alpha 1.27 version firmware and as you can see, it doesn't matter where the plane was heading, no switching at all... same equipment, same place, almost same weather conditions.

https://vimeo.com/49079652

EAGLETREE
8th September 2012, 06:49 PM
Hi Tasscorp,

Thanks for posting the video. Yes, it's definitely an issue that worsens with brightness.

I've posted "alpha" version 10.53 here (http://www.eagletreesystems.com/latestapps/plane/alpha/setup.exe) which has some additional changes that improve things here with the RC305. These changes are significant, and have not had a lot of testing, so please try ground testing of the diversity switching first to make sure things are working at least as well as before.

tasscorp
8th September 2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks, I will instal it now and test it tomorrow, same place. Will keep you posted about this. THANK YOU SO MUCH for your support. I have just ordered the PRO OSD with the guardian from readymadeRC.

midohioboarder
18th September 2012, 08:53 AM
For those interested here is the flight track over google earth. http://db.tt/n5a1oDHc. The link is to the file on my dropbox

You have a nice place to fly. Kind of jealous. Thanks for sharing. What plane are you using?

CZIESO
10th August 2013, 04:18 AM
Hi Derrick,

The only EE incompatibility we are tracking is with the RC305, so I seriously doubt that you'll have an issue with any other 5.8GHz system. I hope we will be able to address the incompatibility in firmware.

I have the same issue with the AOMWAY 5.8 GHz VTx/Rx! With a direct link from OSD to EE all is fine.

EAGLETREE
12th August 2013, 11:39 AM
CZIESO, sorry to hear about your issue. I'm assuming your issue is with telemetry, and not diversity switching? If correct, does the telemetry light ever blink when the aomway is used?

You might want to try updating your firmware to the "alpha" version here (http://www.eagletreesystems.com/LatestApps/Plane/alpha/setup.exe), but I'm not confident it will make a difference.

I have no experience with the Aomway video link, unfortunately. Does the video image appear stable at range? Any chance you know somebody with another Aomway that could try his link? Anyone else using this link?

CZIESO
12th August 2013, 11:07 PM
Thanks Eagletree for your reply. Yes, it's the telemetry problem I was referring to here. The telemetry LED is off when I use the AOMWAY VTx/Rx, even though the video image is looking good. There was some smearing of the text initially, but increasing the text black level improved that. When I bypass the VTx/Rx by feeding the video signal directly from the output of the OSD to the input of the EE, the telemetry LED is blinking nicely. I might try a different VTx/Rx combo.