PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding practice for TBS Wing and FPV

Enovis
12th July 2012, 04:03 PM
Good afternoon,

While I am a complete nub when it comes to FPV, I have been flying RC planes for about 25 years. I have been flying some FPV with a multi-rotor platform, but I have never been a hover kind of guy.

So as I have been doing research and looking into plane based FPV, I have decided that my goal will be the TBS wing, but have not had any experience with the wing type platform.

Is there a good suggestion for a "trainer" for the wing style platform mainly just to learn the flight characteristics and such.

I am currently setting up a bixler to learn plane based FPV, but also wondered is FPV different from a traditional A-E-R aircraft and the Eleveron of the Wing?

Trappy
12th July 2012, 04:07 PM
A Bixler is a good plane to start. Truthfully a Zephyr will be as tough to fly as you fly it. You can relax it and after 3-4 flights you will be comfortable with it. Once you make it nose-heavy on purpose and dash down mountain cliffs that's when it starts to become a challenge :) So it's completely up to you. Personally I think if you can manage a Bixler and you've got the basic idea of planes laid out (stall speed, landing, recovery from stalls, etc) a wing will actually be easier to fly.

Vitamin J
12th July 2012, 04:11 PM
Swift or a Tek Sumo/Popwing make great wing trainers because they are cheap, durable, and easy to launch.

Lots of differences but the fundamentals are the same. The wing is more efficient, faster, and better in wind but will be less stable, won't self-level, and have less room for gear. When flying you might miss the rudder but it's about the same except less stable.

Scotttu
12th July 2012, 04:15 PM
What Trappy said, for range and fun there is no finer, but for ease of flight in tight spaces I use my EZStar.

But I love to fly that Zephyr!
If you have a simulator find a flying wing, or just fly without rudder - you'll get it just fine.

One thing to note, I really have found the Zephyr easier to fly with about 50% dialed into my dual rates and I don't normally care about dual rates or expo - rarely use it but on the Zeph it makes for some s-uhmoooth video if you do....

Enovis
12th July 2012, 04:45 PM
Again thank you Trappy for all the emails you have answered from me =).

I will look around for any information or tutorials and tips on flying wings.

@Vitamin J - I really only use the Rudder for knife edges =)

londonguy
12th July 2012, 06:03 PM
You've been flying RC planes for 25 years? You should be good to fly anything by now? :) Wings are easy.

Enovis
12th July 2012, 06:06 PM
I can fly the hell out of a normal plane =) but I have never flown delta, and would hate for my first "attempt" to be with a TBS Wing.

Trappy
12th July 2012, 06:28 PM
well I guess I skipped that 25 years part. practice some FPV on the Bixler and then get a Zephyr or ZII. It's so easy you don't really need to worry about it.

Rctintin
12th July 2012, 06:54 PM
I am in the same position, so building my Zii to fly LOS with a GoPro for good measure. Then I will install my FPV gear (once I have ordered it from TBS and co) once I feel happy flying the wing.

aeryck
12th July 2012, 09:09 PM
IMHO the biggest difference is the lack of rudder. Instead of coordinated turns its a lot of bank'n'yank flying, but thats what makes it so much fun.

Enovis
12th July 2012, 09:50 PM
I know the winglets give you a little vertical stabilization in banks but with the lack of fuselage does it tend to drop rapidly in a bank?

Trappy
13th July 2012, 12:13 AM
no, it's bank & yank it pretty much stays in that bank for a very long time

BCSaltchucker
13th July 2012, 03:49 AM
I am in the same position, so building my Zii to fly LOS with a GoPro for good measure. Then I will install my FPV gear (once I have ordered it from TBS and co) once I feel happy flying the wing.

you can do this, but I just don't like the idea at all. I think it is easier to build the plane with the FPV system right from the start. The Zeph is yet another plane I have never flown LOS. Just no need to do so.

25 years flying and the OP also have FPV experience with quads? Just go for it. Once you get the launch down, it's golden. Just be conservative on the throws at first - esp pitch. Not hard like flying a delta parkjet at all.

londonguy
13th July 2012, 04:45 AM
The only thing I can see being difficult for someone who can fly "normal" planes is the orientation when flying LOS. In some conditions it can be hard to see which way the plane is pointing and which way it's up.

Enovis
17th July 2012, 01:17 AM
I went with a Popwing to learn wing launching and flight, and have almost completed my bixler for learning FPV flight. Hopefully all goes well =)

killab
27th July 2012, 10:52 PM
Anyone fpv with a f27 q? I have one and I'm thinking of throwing some gear on it.