PDA

View Full Version : you would think we'd all be sick of summit fpv by now.

yatza
7th July 2012, 08:24 PM
hey everyone, i thought i would start a thread for my fpv summit i began a month or so ago.
its all been going fairly well except for the camera i chose to start off with was a tiny tiny pinhole camera with a 3.6mm lense. i have a new camera in the mail on its way to me now being the 600tv lines sony with osd.

the camera and video tx are being powered off of 3x 3.7v lithium ion trustfire batteries coming out to just under 12v. and my ground station is powered off of a 12v car battery as i just happen to have a spare one.

video tx and rx is the 5.8ghz 600mW immersion rc just using rubber duckeys for now.
and for viewing purposes a 7" reverse camera screen (until i eventually get a pet of fatsharks dominators)

as for the summit the only upgrades i have done is to whack on a set of fat joes, and repurpose an old r/c car i had lying around for the body to stick everything in.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6184/19499434024080669955470.jpg

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/5114/imag0207q.jpg

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/4001/imag0211s.jpg

pan and tilt will eventually be added along with making water resistant casing for the electronic equipment.

any comments and tips will be greatly appreciated since this is my first time doing this =]
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/19499434024080669955470.jpg/http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/19499434024080669955470.jpg/

liteglow
7th July 2012, 09:20 PM
I love Summit FPV, I also have a summit for FPV when there is no weather for the planes :)
And the summit is perfect for testing out new antennas\range etc..

keep them pictures coming

Bluestreak
8th July 2012, 04:59 AM
You'd think so wouldn't you! But the Summit is a pretty awesome vehicle (especially for FPV) and everyone seems to FPV them in there own way so it is always cool to see more. Yours looks pretty mean with the Hummer body! Looks quite neat with the FPV gear mounted on the body as well. Now a video would be cool... ;)

yatza
9th July 2012, 03:40 AM
hehe ill get some video eventually, i just don't have anything that will record from a line in at this time. and its a bit hard to drive and hold a camera at the same time.

yatza
3rd August 2012, 05:57 AM
hey guys, need a little bit of advice at the moment. i have hooked up my new camera (the 600tvl sony (http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/600TVL-SONY-SUPER-HAD-CCD-D%252dWDR-Color-Board-Camera-with-OSD-Menu-DNR.html)), and tested it in the tv with it working perfectly fine. then when i plug power into the VTX (5.8ghz immersion rc) it gets some verticle lines appear in the picture then it brightens out the picture to the point you cant see anything and the screen goes black.

has anybody experience something like this before? it never did it with my old camera which was a cheap cheap 5-12v micro one i bought from jaycar.
i think it may be the batteries not being able to supply enough mA. (im running off 3x trustfire 3.7v {4.1v fully charged} 900mA un-protected Lithium ion batteries in series with the vtx and camera connected in parallel.

EDIT: figured it out. the batteries must be a bit flat or they have too much load on them. just tested again running the vtx and camera off 2x 7.4v NiCd's in series and it works flawlessly. went to charge up my trustfires and it seems the charger has internally shorted and melted the housing. so off to ebay to buy another charger (this time with 4 slots instead of 2).

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/561019_3526607611906_1297235868_n.jpg

and for good measure a couple of photo's from crawling around in the back yard this afternoon.
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/531493_3525887673908_1360944469_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/599654_3525888073918_133312801_n.jpg

Bluestreak
10th August 2012, 04:01 AM
Good to hear you got it sorted :) Cool pics too ;)

yatza
12th August 2012, 01:50 AM
its actually not working again. i just had the camera pluged into my tv and it was working, but when i try to get a picture through the vtx vrx i get nothing but a black screen and sometimes it flashes white across the screen. i have a video of it doing it if anybody wanted to see it and is able to tell me whats going on. =S im totaly stumped because its the exact same setup i had with my old camera.

http://youtu.be/beZESVyrCQc

Bluestreak
12th August 2012, 07:45 AM
mmm... bugger :(
My hunch is a power suppy problem.
Does the camera and TX both have the same power requirements? Looks like that camera has a power requirement of 12Volt +/-10% so min 10.8V and max of 13.2V
Looks like the Immersion TX can cope with a voltage of 6-25volt. So shouldn't be a problem there.
Your not powering the camera via the power output of the TX are you - looks like it has a regulated output for a 5volt cam. - See here:
http://www.immersionrc.com/datasheets/600mw_58ghz_datasheet_09_01_2011.pdf
If you have a multimeter it would be worth checking what voltages you are getting with everything running.
Also check loose connections, dodgy cables and the power for the receiver.

yatza
13th August 2012, 04:08 AM
FIXED MY FPV CAMERA!!! WWWEEEOOOOOOOO!!!!

was putting the camera board into the case i bought for it and one of the TINY TINY, surface mount transistors fell off. i was naturally like >=-O WTF!!!

then i soldered it back on and bench tested the camera through the transmitter and it all works again. so it looks to me like the transistor wasnt properly attached to begin with.

and i knew it wasnt a power problem from the 2nd set of batteries since i had only just charged them up and all of my circuits are done in parallel so no voltage drop.

after_two
15th August 2012, 07:35 PM
Hi mate, I'm the guy whose quad you were flying last night :)

Look forward to seeing some video from this guy!

yatza
16th August 2012, 10:14 AM
ahh sean, great =D

i will be able to get some video's once my new camera arrives as i also ordered a DVR. it was one of the really cheap ones on security camera 2000 but as long as it records the video its all good.

cant wait for you to get the fpv gear for your plane. i may have to get one myself at some point.

after_two
16th August 2012, 10:21 AM
I'll be interested to see how the DVR works out for you... I've been thinking I might use one of these (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170888271111) and then I can use my laptop to record but also as a screen to fly with until I figure out goggles further down the track.

Bluestreak
16th August 2012, 06:28 PM
Good to hear your getting a DVR - I want to see some footage as well!

yatza
16th August 2012, 09:58 PM
i cant wait to see some footage either xD

i never had a good picture with my first camera, the auto brightness reduction made it so if there was anything bright in the picture the ground would turn pretty much black so i couldnt see anything.
and the fact that i never even got to use my new camera before it broke completely as it kept playing up.

yatza
3rd September 2012, 07:50 AM
toys Toys TOYS!

i love coming home from work to find a nice little package (sometimes rather large) waiting for me in front of my computer.

Bluestreak
3rd September 2012, 06:40 PM
Looks like the same camera I just ordered - good choice!

yatza
4th September 2012, 12:50 AM
It s the 600tv line Sony with osd from security camera 2000 it probably is.

wolfmandan62976
8th September 2012, 12:26 AM
You know the delivery man is like Santa clause for adults! These summit videos crack me up. Tonkasummit.comhas some pretty awesome videos. It would be great of you can make the cameras and vtx waterproof. I have a strange clicking noise coming from mine and can't figure out what it is. The front wheels stop turning and it just sounds awful. Probably doesn't help that I put 40 series rok loks on it.

HackNFly
9th September 2012, 12:09 AM
Looking forwards to seeing some video.

yatza
10th September 2012, 03:14 AM
yea you will have to wait another 3 or so weeks again since this new camera is already dead >.<

i dont know how i manage to do it to two of them. if this next one breaks im buying a go-pro.

after_two
10th September 2012, 04:54 AM
Two cameras? ouch!

Maybe get onto their support live chat thingy, they might replace it..

yatza
11th September 2012, 03:28 AM
yea i still had emails there from the first one i broke. got a 10% discount on the 2nd since i may have put too much voltage through it (though im not sure thats what killed it now)

and got 50% of the third one now.

and if this third one does die im getting a go pro

yatza
6th October 2012, 09:30 AM
so i got my new camera a while ago now, but i was far too busy to do anything with it. last week after_two was going out to the park for his first fly, so i got off my ass and hooked it all up and went out with him (at 8 in the morning >.<")

did some range testing (everything on standard omni's) and was getting about 100-110m before my radio stopped working which is bit of a bummer for me really. so now im in the market for something with a fair bit longer range since the video was still fairly well perfect. (any ideas on what i should be looking at would be awesome since i cant find any info on replacing controlers with the summit)

after_two has footage of that on his laptop, i still cant figure out how to get the video off my DVR (saves as a .DAT file?? no idea and the software it came with doesnt work...)

anyway, i had a play today just bashing around the yard and under the house. so here is some video link footage i recorded with my phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ah6WZrjfO9c

after_two
6th October 2012, 10:39 AM
Download VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html) and open your .dat with that, it will almost certainly play.

You might also try renaming it from .dat to .avi or .mp4, this will trick your media player into opening it and then it will try to figure out how to decode whatever is in there, depending on the codecs you have on your system there is a reasonable chance it will play.

Finally if neither of these helps, download GSpot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/) and open it in there, this will tell you exactly how it was encoded. From there you can use that info to figure out how to get it working...

Edit: Actually GSpot doesn't seem to be being maintained anymore, you might have better luck with something like MediaInfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en).. Been ages since I dealt with any of this :)

yatza
9th October 2012, 07:16 AM
oops my bad. its a .TAG image file. apparently the dvr records stills @30 fps rather then actual video. =S

i wonder how i can work this out

DrunkDragon
18th October 2012, 08:53 AM
Hey yatez, where in brissie are you at? We will need to get the summits together for some FPV action QLD style.

yatza
19th October 2012, 05:22 AM
im in mt gravatt. so southside. that would be some wicked sick fun. but i only got the one set of batteries so it would be a fairly short amount of wicked sick fun haha

yatza
8th January 2013, 06:02 AM
ok so i havent updated this thread in a while so i got a fair few things to post.

first off i bought fatshark attitude sd goggles so i wired the new 250mW transmitter into the truck, and made it into a FPV "pack" to hot swap onto pretty much anything.

and with the gopro mounted beside it

with a boring video of me driving around the park near my house. (just put in a FrSky receiver and driving with my 9x)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKdoYH_ey6w

and last but not least, my mamba monster turned up in the mail today. so im looking forward to the advantage running on 4s lipos will give me in run time and speed >=D

dieselmudder
8th January 2013, 10:55 AM
are you still running 5.8? and what kind of antennas. im just getting into this with my Axial Wraith and trying to squeeze a little bit more range out of it.

Bluestreak
8th January 2013, 06:05 PM
Nice ;) Next time I want to see some full speed runs with the Mamba Max :) Just don't roll it and wreck the FPV backpack!

yatza
9th January 2013, 03:15 AM
ill see what i can conjur up this afternoon bluestreak. just got home from work so ill be taking it down the street soon xD.

yea dieselmudder, running the 5.8 fatshark transmitter and attitude goggles with the fatshark spironet skew planar+cloverleaf from rmrc

brosius85
9th January 2013, 04:20 AM
nice setup bro. very cool

yatza
9th January 2013, 05:09 AM
thanks brosius.

and it is now apparent that high gear is bad for fpv atm. my fpv cam is mounted only with velcro, and it bounces around waaaay too much to see where you are going.
low gear is great though. pops wheelies really nice and will hold them for a good 5m.

going to have to build this alloy/steel gear cage pretty soon. had a bit of a stack from stopping too fast and put a couple of scratches on my go-pro case lense.
and maybe get some stiffer springs so i can lower the ride height and stop it rolling around so much.

Bluestreak
9th January 2013, 05:20 AM
You may have to hard mount it with screws to stop the vibration. A cheap ($11) gyro is also fantastic if you end up putting a tilt servo on it. I found out today that you can get away with just one channel for the gyro rather than the normal 2 (not as easy to set up but do-able).
For the roll cage I have used both brake pipe and 5mm rod. Helps if you can weld it together though.

yatza
9th January 2013, 05:44 AM
might have to make up a custom body if thats the case. something low profile to keep the CG down low.

although maybe even using some zip ties to hold down the camera onto the body will help. its just that its only velcro onto the battery pack thats making it shake around. and the weight of the go-pro up so high makes it want to lie on its back.

with these things noted it is still great fun in low gear. almost as fast as high with the stock motor.

ueadian
10th January 2013, 09:10 PM
Ah, all you summit people make me jealous. I ended up getting a Slash 4x4 and it's definately not all terrain (without new tires anyways). It's very low to the ground so it doesnt do snow period. Can't afford a Summit (yet).

dieselmudder
10th January 2013, 11:59 PM
im gonna slap mine on my XXX-sct later when the weather gets nicer. the summit really does seem to be a great platform for this. i texted a buddy to see if he still had his, sold it awhile back :(

after_two
11th January 2013, 07:18 AM
Sounds like a beast, look forward to seeing it tearing up this weekend!

yatza
11th January 2013, 07:53 AM
Ah, all you summit people make me jealous. I ended up getting a Slash 4x4 and it's definately not all terrain (without new tires anyways). It's very low to the ground so it doesnt do snow period. Can't afford a Summit (yet).

stop it =O now you are making me jealous. it was about 35 degrees celcius and 90% humidity at work today. i want snow =(

im gonna slap mine on my XXX-sct later when the weather gets nicer. the summit really does seem to be a great platform for this. i texted a buddy to see if he still had his, sold it awhile back :(

i have seen some people fpving those stadium trucks on youtube, looks like heaps of fun and way more stable at high speeds and cornering then my top heavy, high set summit.

ueadian
11th January 2013, 01:18 PM
Yeah tons of snow in Utah lately plus a broken camera has meant 0 fpving for me the last few weeks.

Kenny9999
11th January 2013, 01:28 PM
@yatza

Wow, you put a mamba in it! Is in it... just to powerful for fpving! Pretty sure you don't really use the power of the mamba while fpving!

I'm thinking to the velineon, but... til now, I've just have tried it once since there is a lot of snow here, but, before to invest more, I want to have a better idea! I'm more into flying... but truck can be done in pretty bad condition...

yatza
11th January 2013, 09:30 PM
low gear is perfectly fine for fpv since with the stock spur,gearbox and diffs with my big joes the top speed is 19-20km/h (12mp/h)

since it came with castle link i can program the esc too. make sure to have launch control turned on cause in low gear it likes to walk on its back legs.

2nd gear is probably a bit fast for fpv. 54km/h (34mp/h). i have tried it but my wheel alignment is a little off and it drifts to the right and becomes hard to control.
ill fix it up at some point but to drive around in top gear ill have to build a custom low CG body as the gopro sitting on the roof of the hummer body is too much weight up high and it likes to roll over

i used this online calculator to give me a good approximation of my speeds
http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

yatza
12th January 2013, 02:34 AM
added lcd voltage display viewable from fpv camera and possibly gopro.

carguy1994ca
15th January 2013, 02:56 PM
Yeah tons of snow in Utah lately plus a broken camera has meant 0 fpving for me the last few weeks.

Do like me: build a snow track around your house ! When the snow got too thick to drive, I used snowshoes to walk around the house and compress the snow so the summit can drive on it. Really fun, made lots of trails and now i just drive from the comfort of the sofa whatever the conditions outside. FPV on the big flat screen from inside the house is awsome ;)

Wayno
16th January 2013, 08:04 AM
My summit has just arrived, getting used to how she handles and waiting for lopo's before I start making an FPV body/platform for it. I was using a dedicated crawler but the slow speed was frustrating when you wanted to get somewhere.

carguy1994ca
16th January 2013, 11:53 AM
lopo ?? Congrats on the new summit :)

Wayno
16th January 2013, 02:50 PM
Lipo even. I can't imagine ever being able to give it full throttle via FPV, it quite quick and bounces around on anything other than road. Still, will be damn fun.

carguy1994ca
16th January 2013, 04:09 PM
Oh lipo, makes sense now. I didn't build anything fancy to drive the summit FPV, just attached the VTx, battery to the top of the body and the camera to the front roll bar. Worked well to test it. I use mostly the GoPro so the FOV is good even without pan. Now buit a pan for it so nice to look each side before crossing roads. If on a long stretch of road or open field, i can go full thottle. had to balance the wheels though, and make sure to make some holes so the water gets out of the tires.

ueadian
18th January 2013, 01:26 AM
Well I did it. Bought a summit as well. We'll see how it goes, its the 27mhz version so I'm hopping to kill two birds with one stone. My limiting factor atm is my 2.4ghz hopefully with a half wave dipole I'll get 10x the range as my 2.4ghz. I'm also bidding on a Tonka too.

DrunkDragon
18th January 2013, 04:20 PM
I recently upgraded my summit with proline trencher x's on desperado rims, P2 rockers, purple rate springs up front and oranges at the rear. I cannot flip this thing now, no matter how hard I push it. The OP was telling me about his new mamba being fast but destructive, not sure if I want one now!

paintz2007
18th January 2013, 05:25 PM
I anyone is intereested..
basically ready to be put together
:D
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?11485-Emaxx

yatza
8th February 2013, 01:50 AM
oo almost forgot about this thread. my summit has been out of action for a little while. been waiting on new drave shafts (the mamba blew one of em up =P)

all sorted now and with new wheel bearings since the ones i had in it where getting nice and gritty. no squeaks coming from it not when driving =D

battery modded it too now so im running dual 4s 4000mAh zippys. 30min of bashing only took them down to 16v so not too shabby.

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/485268_4347255647594_1124715622_n.jpg

still need to make a custom body to get the cg down low and a cage to protect the precious fpv gear.

paintz2007
8th February 2013, 06:57 AM
check out http://www.vgracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=VG-DEV&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=Roll_Cages&Product_Code=VGR-Summit

idk if i posted that in here or not..

The Emaxx I have has one and its insane how tough it is

yatza
8th February 2013, 07:29 AM
aww man thats cool. id have to get the rx and the vtx antennas outside of it though. i assume it would act as a Faraday cage. im going to be swapping ym ezuhf and 1.3 between the summit, the bixler, and the disco too so it will need to be easily accessed.

paintz2007
8th February 2013, 04:47 PM
Probably could use a piece of sch40 pvc for the antenna housing.

Dougie B
15th February 2013, 10:48 PM
did you ever end up making videos with the mamba monster?

yatza
16th February 2013, 12:27 AM
havent yet. been busy building my tbs disco and getting my 1.3 video and uhf controls working. still trying to get around to building myself a steel frame for the summit at work too. need to find some old brake line.

I will get around to it eventually though

this is my thread for the disco and bixler =] http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?11726-moving-up-in-the-world-and-up-and-up-and-up.

yatza
16th February 2013, 05:22 AM
turns out eventually was this afternoon not long after the last post xD. it being a bit rainy and my getting a trance album helped me along too.

not going for any style in particular, i just wanted wheel flares to block out water/grass/dirt spray from the wheels.

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/859572_4392153610015_1843125500_o.jpg

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/859778_4392153890022_1305814792_o.jpg

still need to figure out mount positions for all the gear. and i hope to have the head tracker pan set up too on this one.

carguy1994ca
17th February 2013, 08:47 PM
Invisible summit ? :)

RcLab1
17th February 2013, 09:23 PM
Those wheel flares' are cool as heck!
I like it! :-) .....very functional too!

yatza
18th February 2013, 04:48 AM
hehe an invisible summit would be pretty bitchin. maybe i should buy some camo dip paint in multicam and see how it goes =P

im actually really impressed with how the wheel flares came out myself. looks like some sort of paris-dakar rally car. really digging the look.

yatza
22nd February 2013, 08:30 AM
got busy tonight and sorted out mounting points on the new summit body. still need to mount the gopro but not sure where to put it.

got my ezuhf receiver, 1.3 video transmitter with skew, fpv cam mounted to 24kg servo (with servo extender gets me 180 degree turn) top mounted 2.2 3s to power the cam. and a super simple OSD to show battery voltage.
http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/377690_4423414071507_496457693_n.jpg

Dougie B
4th March 2013, 12:16 AM
Invisible summit ? :)

haha that's great. I love the fender flares that's a pretty creative idea. Are you going to put the panels back onto the body of the summit?