PDA

View Full Version : scout bee 60

Pages : 1 [2]

shadowolf
3rd May 2014, 10:01 PM
I'm fixed wing. Not quad yet..haven't gotten around to building one yet...

Quafe
6th May 2014, 05:14 AM
Can someone recommend a quad frame for FPV which is capable of flight times comparable to that of Phantom 2 (15-25 minutes with GoPro)? I was considering TBS Discovery Pro, but it just doesn't offer the flight times I'm looking for.

Devlin
11th May 2014, 07:39 AM
Hello,

I want to buy the Phantom 2 and use it with the GoPro Hero3+ Black edition.
Before I buy this I am looking for a picture and a movie that is not edited by other software.

Does anyone have this for me?

I want to see what the quality is of the picture/movie when the Phantom is high in the sky.

You can sent it with “wetransfer” to: devlintalman@hotmail.com

Thank you for your reactions!

Carlosmg
18th May 2014, 01:57 PM
Hello everyone.

I'm new in FPV and I'm trying to build my components list.

I see in several website they sell FPV combos and in some of them they include a Low Pass Filter.

What the hell is that? I can't find any clear answer.

Please help!

Thanks

airtruksrus
19th May 2014, 11:11 AM
Hello everyone.

I'm new in FPV and I'm trying to build my components list.

I see in several website they sell FPV combos and in some of them they include a Low Pass Filter.

What the hell is that? I can't find any clear answer.

Please help!

Thanks

Usually used on a 1.3ghz video tx to prevent harmonics of the video signal from interfering with your 2.4ghz control signal. There is also a notch filter when using Dragonlink UHF to keep from interfering with 1.3 video receivers, definitely helped a friend with the poor reception on the video.

Scarecrow325th
23rd May 2014, 10:13 AM
Hi, I am hoping that someone here can help and guide me in the right direction? I have been flying RC fixed wing aircraft for a few years now. Also one of my other hobbies is paintball. Each year I play a game called Oklahoma D-Day which for those of you who do not know is the worlds largest paintball event. Sometimes there have been up to 4000 players on the 1000 acre field. I command one of the units at this game. It has been suggested that we look into getting an FPV to use as a recon aircraft. This would be controlled from our HQ, which is not on the field so does not get shot at. The distance would be no more than 1/2 mile from controller to AC. The AC would have to have a reasonable flight time. There is plenty of open space available for take off/landing. The area is wooded with few buildings to interfere with signal. Most units on the field do use VHF radios of one sort or another for communication. So now to my question(s) what would be the best way for me to start, plus what would a ballpark figure be as to cost of a system that would fill my needs?

LVNeptune
23rd May 2014, 04:12 PM
Depends what you define as needing long flight time. Average is ~10 minutes. You can get an hour with a nice hexacopter or octocopter but you will be spending a few thousand easy with a chunk of it going towards batteries.

sgtsmall
23rd May 2014, 05:36 PM
If you could find an experienced fpv pilot with a wing and probably simple pan/tilt fpv cam setup you could get more than what you need, as long as they could get clear LOS (including trees). If you are trying to do it yourself your going to need more than 2 weeks, a multi would get you in the air quickly, but for relatively short periods. If they are using UHF for comms instead of VHF you also might have a problem. I know if I thought that an aircraft was spotting me for the game I would consider it as "on the field of play", and direct my efforts to anti aircraft technology or signal jamming!!! anyway I suggest you look for some fpv experience in your group or their friends to get you started. good luck

ProtoCrash
23rd May 2014, 06:39 PM
Hi Skarecrow - now wanting to put you off but sgtsmall's advice is correct. Find someone who'd like to fly for you on the day. FPVing takes a lot of research, time, money and... hard lessons. It took me a year before I'd say I was able to confidently do what you guys are after. On the other hand, finding someone in the area would be a lot more doable.

Unless of course you're thinking of getting into FPVing anyway, in which case this is the perfect excuse :)

ValHeli
24th May 2014, 09:02 AM
Hi, I am hoping that someone here can help and guide me in the right direction? I have been flying RC fixed wing aircraft for a few years now. Also one of my other hobbies is paintball. Each year I play a game called Oklahoma D-Day which for those of you who do not know is the worlds largest paintball event. Sometimes there have been up to 4000 players on the 1000 acre field. I command one of the units at this game. It has been suggested that we look into getting an FPV to use as a recon aircraft. This would be controlled from our HQ, which is not on the field so does not get shot at. The distance would be no more than 1/2 mile from controller to AC. The AC would have to have a reasonable flight time. There is plenty of open space available for take off/landing. The area is wooded with few buildings to interfere with signal. Most units on the field do use VHF radios of one sort or another for communication. So now to my question(s) what would be the best way for me to start, plus what would a ballpark figure be as to cost of a system that would fill my needs?

If budget is limited, I would say look at flitetest.com they have some good tutorial videos on putting together inexpensive fpv parts.

Noobab
30th May 2014, 09:54 AM
Hello
i am looking to start off FPV , i mainly want to put a basic setup into my 4m Glider to fly around the slope .
i have the plane and Futaba 8fg Radio

basically what would i need

screen or Goggles (would prefer goggles)
Camera
TX /RX for camera
antenas
battery for system

1. would i need anything else ?
2. were could i buy a combo with all this ?
3. what would i need to know to set this up ?

thanks
sean

btown2
30th May 2014, 10:48 AM
http://fpvlab.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?60-FAQs

Squidyman
30th May 2014, 09:35 PM
Hi, I am new to FPV, but not RC or electronics in general. I have an $800 min-900 MAX budget, so really tight I imagine for FPV. I already have a battery charger and tools.
My goals are:
2 to 3 mile range
1080p video
20-25 minute flight time

I figure that I could make my goal with some deal hunting. I found a site called Aliexpress.com. It seems that I can snatch some awesome deals, but will need to be very careful to make sure that what I am buying works and is not a scam. I found a $90 video camera that looks a whole lot more affordable than a gopro (which I honestly think is overpriced, but probably due to the huge amount of warranties they have to deal with)
Here is a link to the camera. What do you think about it? www.aliexpress.com/item/Sport-mini-Action-Camera-Diving-30Meter-Waterproof-Camera-1080P-Full-HD-SJ4000-Helmet-Camera-Underwater-Cameras/1756965445.html

Second, I don't really want to deal with having a million transmitter/receivers to deal with. Probably 2 is about what I can handle. So I figure that I will use a data transceiver and an AV transmitter.
I found this transceiver (www.aliexpress.com/item/Multi-channel-SNR652-Medium-Power-Network-Node-Module-foe-Wireless-Data-Transceiver/1491030798.html) on Aliexpress.com. It says it has about 500mw of power, so seems to be enough range for me. I am a bit worried about quality, so anyone have any other options that are affordable (I will need 2 of them....)? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Multi-channel-SNR652-Medium-Power-Network-Node-Module-foe-Wireless-Data-Transceiver/1491030798.html I will need an adapter to up the voltage to USB levels instead of TTL I presume.
I also found a lower power alternative that I presume could work for short range, or long range if I splurge on a nice antenna.
www.aliexpress.com/item/SV611-100mW-FSK-wireless-data-transceiver-with-1pcs-USB-bridge-board-TTL-to-USB-1-pcs/1871469423.html

Another question is about durability. What parts am I most likely to break? I imagine it would be the props :/ From owning a helicopter for a little while, I almost went broke from replacing so many. I hope there are durable options or very cheap and easy to replace options available.

Now at this point I bet you are wondering why I do not just buy an "RTR" (or whatever the flying equivalent is) quadcopter/fpv setup. I like building things myself, and I am a lot more proud of things I build than things I just go buy. And it is a lot more fun :D

I found this nice gimbal on Aliexpress.com that actually looks decent and not going to break in the guaranteed event of a crash.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-Newest-2-axis-BGC-Brushless-Camera-Gimbal-GoPro3-Controller-PTZ-aluminum-Full-set-of-parts/1703047613.html

Another big (probably biggest) question I have is about motor/prop/battery size. I do not have any idea how to accomplish 20 or even maybe 25 minute flight times. I already found a nice 4 in 1 esc http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-shipping-EMAX-25A-Quattro-25A-X4-UBEC-Multi-rotor-4-in-1-Brushless-ESC-Quadcopter/1826277803.html It says it have SimonK firmware already loaded, and I have heard good things about SimonK (but I really have no idea what it actually does). Again, I don't know what motors would be best, but I would like to keep it under $60 unless it is a few $ over that.

And batteries.....
This is like the part where my eyes glaze over.....
Anyways, from RC monster truck experience, how much the batteries weigh really doesn't affect run times much. I can just keep piling them in there XD Not true here I am guessing. What sort of batteries would work well for a 20 minute minimum flight time? 3c or 4c? 3000mah or 5000mah? I would like to be able to charge the batteries quickly as I have a PowerLab 6 charger that can charge up to 6s at 40 amps (1000 watts), and I would like to take advantage of my overkill charger. I figure these batteries look nice, and I have used the same brand in the past and they were reliable. Would I achieve a 20 minute flight time with them? http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11944 Or is this more like it? http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11953

Last part(s)....
What FPV goggles are recommended? I found some with good resolution (FAT SHARK BASE SD headset) http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__33475__FatShark_BASE_SD_FPV_Headset.html What do you think about them?
And the AV transmitter. I found that 1.2ghz seems to be illegal except on channel 8, so I found a transmitter/receiver combo that seems legal in the US.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FPV-1-2g-1-3g-8ch-800mw-Digital-Video-Av-Audio-Diagram-Transmitter-and-Receiver-Sender/1233201904.html.

I realize I will have to control this craft. I have read that with APM you can control with joystick, which seems nice as it can plug into my Raspberry pi ground station computer. I have knowledge in the computer part of things, so no worries there (I hope :rolleyes:) ANYways, link I found on doing that http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/flying-with-a-joystickgamepad-instead-of-rc-controller/ if that is useful to anyone.....

AND I almost forgot.
Flight controller!
So again, seems like a lot of smoke when navigating through what is the best FC. I found a nice combo on Hobbyking with a GPS, so that is nice. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__39478__MultiWii_PRO_Flight_Controller_w_MTK_GPS_ Module_USA_warehouse_.htmlHOWEVER, I am sure someone older/wiser/smarter/and more practical than me knows of better options that I am unaware of. I do like APM software, so unless you can talk me into something else, I would like to go with APM.

Ok!
Well, I have ran out of words (almost) so I will stop here for the sake of everyone's sanity. I hope I posted this thread in the correct area, it is fairly broad so I put it in the FAQ section rather then niche of FPV so more people can help me sort this all out. I hope to add more fun things to future, probably just start with the basics and add the FPV gear once I can fly properly, then add fancy doo-dads like sonar sensors and such. As you can probably tell, I know some theory (I have been drooling over FPV for 3 years now) but I lack hands-on experience. Well I hope all you wonderful people on fpvlab can help figure it out!
Thanks so much! :D

Squidyman
30th May 2014, 09:56 PM
I found what looks like decent motors. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__39435__NTM_Prop_Drive_Series_28_26A_1200kv_286w_ short_shaft_version_US_Warehouse_.html look good?

Brewology
30th May 2014, 10:07 PM
im kinda new but just scanned threw your post here and im just gonna say that you got Alot more researching to do lol, i dont think your data node is even possible at this point unless it was flying itself and i couldnt even imagin the lag you would encounter and possible crashes due to it , and for fpv 800 is crawling becuase if your gonna put a gimble and fpv cam and all the good stuff / that weight . your gonna need good motors and even a heavier battery which is gonna ride your price up. fpv googles start at 300$. so research away! lol your gonna run into a learning curve cant just jump into this stuff or you could waste your money. ive been researching for 4 months now and figured best resale/quality/flight-time/lift starts at about 2000$

hope this helps

StompAE86
30th May 2014, 10:11 PM
So you say you did some research yet you are buying a heap of worthless untested crap and none of it is from an actual fpv vendor..
good luck... you are gonna need it

hpcoolahan
30th May 2014, 10:13 PM
I would suggest reading here a bit, http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?116-FPV-PILOT-TRAINING-CENTER-YOUR-ROAD-TO-FPV-SUCCESS
and here , http://fpvlab.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?60-FAQs

Squidyman
30th May 2014, 10:13 PM
ooo that sound pricey and painful....
I ready about the joystick control from APM and I would use a real time system like arduino to interface the link to avoid any lag issues. I think I can expand it to $900 if I have to, but that is a hard, and very real limit that I have to set for price. The goggles I found are $260. I have a monitor that I can use that should definitely work. Just wanted that "immersion" feeling. Hope they are of good quality. ohhh and I forgot, I already have a few batteries that will work so that is good. I do have an advantage that I have every tool I would possibly need and access to machine tools for diy'ing it. I do hope that everyone realizes that I am on a hard budget, and nothing I can do about that. I will do the best I can, and I hope I get solutions to my questions......

StompAE86
30th May 2014, 10:15 PM
Bah beat me to it
Get goggles with integrated 5.8 and an immersionrc 600mW video transmitter
Buy either the 9x, 9xr or taranis controller
Buy the floater/bixler/easystar or any high wing trainer
Buy the pz0420 flight camera and a 12v step up regulator
Go fly

Squidyman
30th May 2014, 10:21 PM
So you say you did some research yet you are buying a heap of worthless untested crap and none of it is from an actual fpv vendor..
good luck... you are gonna need it

worthless untested crap? Most of what we buy from other stores are branded version of that "crap". They throw a label on it and charge $50 more for it. I know that there are "pieces of crap" there, but the majority is legit and fairly decent quality. An actual fpv vendor is a royalty that I cannot afford at this point in my life. If I could I would, but I can't :(
Thanks though.....

StompAE86
30th May 2014, 10:35 PM
There is a difference even if they look the same on the outside plus if its faulty they will replace it but its your choice...
hobbyking sells $17 video transmitters...they are top notch...mine lasted 2 flights each maybe get those ones
Maybe my wording is harsh but you will spend more money and buy things two or three times if you dont listen

Squidyman
30th May 2014, 10:41 PM
I will definitely look into alternatives, thank you Stomp.
I guess I should say
I don't really need to hear "that won't work" I would benefit much more from "that won't work, but here is what could work" "or you can compromise to this and it will work". That would be definitely beneficial to me. Thanks!

StompAE86
30th May 2014, 11:02 PM
Ok well sorry just woke up and have not had my coffee yet...

People make the mistake in overdoing things at first so start simple and later you can expand
For example the 1080p cam you list is probably garbage...for $20 less get a mobious which is tried and tested and lighter

Multirotor s are daunting at first and unless ****ing about with stuff on the bench is your thing it might burn you out so starting with fixed wing just to get airborne really helps
The list I posted above will get you flying in a weekend and you can move the camera and transmitter to anything once you get some stick time. The floater pnf is less than $100 shipped and flies great, the turnigy 9x or 9xr are less than $100 and are a great radio
Dont skimp on goggles its your view on the world...also you cant crash them so get the best you can afford
The immersion 600mW will play nice with a 2.4 radio and with a step up reg costs about $100
The pz0420 cam is like $40 and what everyone uses...find maximus' s settings and it looks great

Either way good luck but you will thank me if you follow my advice

hpcoolahan
30th May 2014, 11:39 PM
Best advise from me ,
Get a pair of Attitude v2 (they come with Tx, RX, HeadTracker , and a good flight cam) http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=165_107&products_id=2283
These will get you flying and have you happy into the future too !

Get yourself a cheap but proven plane for your first fpv experience http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24474__HobbyKing_Bixler_2_EPO_1500mm_w_Brushless _Motor_Servos_and_Optional_Flaps_ARF_.html

Radio http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24257__Turnigy_9X_9Ch_Transmitter_without_Module _Mode_1_v2_Firmware_.html
Its in stock but mode 1 , easy to swap to mode 2 if you need.

Tx and Rx for radio control http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14355__FrSky_DF_2_4Ghz_Combo_Pack_for_JR_w_Modul e_RX.html
Good system with reliable 1.5 to 2km range , even more with the right setup.

Now this might seam like its not what you where after , BUT it will get you into the air with a reliable plane set-up to learn on.
And you can add to it as you learn.

For around $580 your in the air and fpv flying .

You will need a speed-controller and battery for the plane ....not much really , and a pan/tilt mount for your headtracking ...again not much.

Edit : got distracted by someone turning up at home ...lol everyone beat me to it ...lol

Jeppe
31st May 2014, 09:45 AM
I started FPV last summer, and as a noob moving up the ranks i just want to say that what Stompa and hpchooclate here is telling you is true and you should listen to them.
Nobody here on the forums wants to spend more than necessary, so when seasoned FPVers tell you what/where to buy the stuff, there is a reason for it. It´s because they already tried that route so we don´t have to. "Buy cheap buy twice" is true for a lot of things in this hobby with a few exceptions here and there. The Mobius camera for one and Turnigy 9x, 9xr and FrSky Taranis radios are good exceptions as well.
If you cut the wrong corners, there is a very good chance you might regret it and spend more than you thought you would in the first place.

Now get yourself a Bixler or some similar foam airplane, slap on the bare bones needed for FPV and you will have TONS of fun and a great way to build experience!

And for the record, after almost one year in the hobby i am just getting comfortable flying one mile out. I could probably go further with my current setup, but it is scarier than one would think to fly that far out!

Scotttu
31st May 2014, 10:06 AM
Your goals can be accomplished with an EZStar, Turnigy or e-Flight Park 480, an 8x6 prop and a SecurityCam 2000 600 TVL camera.
Put a 3300 mah battery in it and have fun. Total cost is about $400 maybe. Add a Tiny OSD 3 into it, voila.

I fly a 72mhz Futaba T7 with an EZUHF dangling off the back. (I Fly on UHF Only now).
I prefer Lawmate 500mw 2.4ghz VTX and RX on my ground station with an 8dbi flat patch antenna.

There are some things you can skimp on, and some things you should just buy and cry.

UHF and Goggles are the cry once item. Everything else you can buy cheap.
I'm a huge fan of keeping things simple, I never flew an OSD for my first 6 months until I got lost in the fog, then I chose to buy one.

Unfortunately my domain name is being transferred at a snails pace so photos are not possible this week (See my avatar).

Here is a 3 mile flight around a local town..... 20 minutes or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucCkh2s_RzU

Squidyman
31st May 2014, 12:20 PM
Okay, Thanks everyone for the advice. I will keep it simple. I will ditch my whole complicated data link to pc to goggles and just do what all of you are suggesting. I am honestly surprised that a $60 transmitter is recommended! But if you say it works, then I definitely believe you! A few questions on the choice of plane/quadcopter. I am familiar with helicopters (own a helimax CP 125) and have Real Flight R/C simulator. So I have some real experience (not much) and a lot of virtual experience. Hopefully at least some of it transfers to the real world (crosses fingers). I like the idea of quadcopters because they can take pictures easily and look very agile, but the range of airplanes is pretty awesome too. So I will probably hate myself at first, but I will buy nice goggles. So..... plane or quadcopter? And what about camera? Anyone have any cameras they recommend that take high quality video and take at least decent pictures?

Squidyman
31st May 2014, 08:46 PM
Thanks hpcoolahan.
I would rather use 1.2Ghz as I live in a heavily wooded area and don't want to drop signal all the sudden. These goggles look good to you? http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_22_227&products_id=1193 Any that you recommend and that are compatible with the Turnigy 9X? Also, I found a video camera that seems of good quality. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__32024__hd19_explorerhd_full_hd_1080p_fpv_video_c amera_with_integral_recorder.html A review on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdBljOTU7f4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdBljOTU7f4. I think I will go with quad for now. I am familiar with helicopters so that seems most compatible to my skills for now. I will attempt airplanes later XD.
Thanks for your expert advice!

Squidyman
31st May 2014, 08:50 PM
What do you think about this camera?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__32024__hd19_explorerhd_full_hd_1080p_fpv_video_c amera_with_integral_recorder.html
here is a review on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdBljOTU7f4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdBljOTU7f4
I will probably start with quadcopters I think..... I have experience from helicopters so I think there should be a close translation of skills. I hope (crosses fingers and spins in circles for good luck) :P

inis
2nd June 2014, 03:04 PM
Hello
Was wondering if I could get assistance with picking out new vtx gear. I'm fairly new to FPV, although I've had my quadcopter since last august.

My current setup:

Generic quadcopter frame
2812 880kv rctimer motors
10x4.7 cf props
30a HK blue's with simonk
cc3d
4s 5000mah zippy compact (think its zippy)
9x with er9x software/smartie board 2.4ghz
stock 9x receiver 2.4ghz

Video side:
TBS edition ezosd
ezosd current/amp sensor
Gopro hero3 black for camera w/ RMRC gopro usb cord
250mw 5.8 fatshark vtx
Fatshark dominator goggles, purchased new last December but I'm am the 2nd owner
assortment of antenna's

My current range on vtx is 400ft safely. I live in middle of no where in Kansas, so is a open crop field with just mowed grass that I'm flying off of. No tree's or anything. If I fly at a friends house in the city, I'm limited to just about 300ft.

My goal is 1- 1.5 miles, keeping the gopro for camera , and having this all setup before 4th of July weekend.

As far as budget goes, I'm not concerned for anything under 400, however I will spend more if the difference between a 300 setup and 500 setup is tremendous. Example if I have to go antenna tracking, I will. I also like the possibilties of upgrades later on without having to start all over.

I've played around with the 5.8 setup, I can not for the life of me get anything further. Which is odd because my neighbor got 1km out of his with the same 250mw fatshark vtx. However his was on a skywalker and mine is on a quad. Regardless though, not being able to go behind a tree is kinda annoying.

Thanks for any suggestion I can get, looking forward to ordering something today or tomorrow.

-Jarred

SecretSpy711
2nd June 2014, 05:55 PM
A mile is about as far as you're going to get on 2.4 control, even if you get your video to go beyond that by upping the power and using a directional antenna like a helical.

if you switch to a UHF system then that opens 2.4 as a video frequency, which for a given power, goes further than 5.8.

The best bang for your buck UHF system right now is OpenLRSng / Hawkeye / DTF UHF. The deluxe 1 watt transmitter. But any UHF system should do.

shadowolf
2nd June 2014, 06:02 PM
Well I have and still go 2.5km (1.5miles) on a taranis with a cross hair antenna. No booster.
My 5.8ghz 600mw vtx with a clover on vtx and 7turn on rx..
No problems with control and this is a suburban environment.

SecretSpy711
2nd June 2014, 06:39 PM
Taranis I think outputs 100mW, 9x I think is closer to 60mW. So no surprise you can go a little further. But don't quote me on those numbers.

inis
2nd June 2014, 06:40 PM
I'm trying to read up on it, however I'm confused. Does this replace both my vtx and reg tx? I'm trying to find threads and/or info online about going UHF specific to OpenLRSng.

shadowolf
2nd June 2014, 06:44 PM
No the uhf just is control...also please note you need a amateur ham license to use uhf..

inis
2nd June 2014, 07:04 PM
Yeah I'm not looking to go past the 9x range, after all it is a quadcopter. When I get into skywalkers I'll probably use waypoints or something.

Any suggestions on what setup to use for vtx?

Goob_Scooper
4th June 2014, 03:17 AM
Yeah I'm not looking to go past the 9x range, after all it is a quadcopter. When I get into skywalkers I'll probably use waypoints or something.

Any suggestions on what setup to use for vtx?

if you are going to stick with 2.4 control - then get yourself a 600mw IRC 5.8 vtx.

With a decent receiver antenna (3 turn helical or equivalent) your video should get at least the tange of your control in normal conditions.

If you want more range then you are going to have to upgrade your control to UHF. If you do this, get a basic Lawmate 2.4 vtx and receiver, will give you more range than your copter will fly with those batteries (again assuming decent antennas)

Squidyman
4th June 2014, 10:26 AM
You can most certainly go farther than 2.4GHz! People have gone many many miles on the frequency. I would say use this mod to really increase your range. http://pixhawk.org/peripherals/radio-control/turnigy_9x_frsky_mod Then you can also get telemetry from your quad as well! This is the link to the module you need http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14349__FrSky_DJT_2_4Ghz_Combo_Pack_for_JR_w_Tele metry_Module_V8FR_II_RX.html. With a proper antenna like this http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20108__2_4Ghz_7DB_Antenna_for_FrSky_Modules_And_ compatible_Radios_Modules_.html it is not too directional, but will definitely give you huge range (2 to 3 miles). For your video TX and RX you can either buy really nice circular polarized antennas like this for TX http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=165_108&products_id=1254 and this for your RX http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49_97&products_id=1089. That will give you at least a mile to 2 mile range (in the open), but obstacle penetration (trees) will be poor. Or switch to a lower frequency transmitter and receiver like 1.2Ghz and you will be going as far as you like.

So using 5.8Ghz antennas ($64), new module ($60), soldering skills ($0), 2.4Ghz antenna ($8), you can have really nice range for around $135. Or add new 1.3Ghz antenna and receiver (with nice antennas) for around $120. (so total would then be $188). Antenna tracking is nice for going 5+ miles, but the antennas I linked to are omni-directional. Super directional antennas require a whole lot more setup and $$$. So for what you are trying to do, cloverleaf antennas are the way to go.

Any questions?

Thanks,
Squidyman
Matthew Barnard

Squidyman
4th June 2014, 10:36 AM
A mile is about as far as you're going to get on 2.4 control, even if you get your video to go beyond that by upping the power and using a directional antenna like a helical.

if you switch to a UHF system then that opens 2.4 as a video frequency, which for a given power, goes further than 5.8.

The best bang for your buck UHF system right now is OpenLRSng / Hawkeye / DTF UHF. The deluxe 1 watt transmitter. But any UHF system should do.

wow. 1 watt is wayyy over kill. I don't think he plans on going 10 miles.... On an open farm with no wifi around.... he could go very far with low power transmitter with high quality antennas (IBcrazy). A directional antenna in the city should allow for long range as well.

SurveilZone
4th June 2014, 10:55 AM
Bah beat me to it
Get goggles with integrated 5.8 and an immersionrc 600mW video transmitter
Buy either the 9x, 9xr or taranis controller
Buy the floater/bixler/easystar or any high wing trainer
Buy the pz0420 flight camera and a 12v step up regulator
Go fly
The 600tvl sony super had II CCD camera just $29 at SurveilZone, here is the link:
http://www.surveilzone.com/sony-super-had-ccd-600tvl-board-camera-2.8mm-lens-fpv-cc1333
and we also recommend the 800tvl sony effio-v ultra WDR board FPV camera:
http://www.surveilzone.com/sony-960h-ccd-effio-v-800tvl-ultra-wdr-camera-cc1526

http://vimeo.com/90417492

Squidyman
4th June 2014, 10:58 AM
Okay, cool! That will work well with my Go Pro. Do I need to worry about ESD with an open board like that?

MrSTUDofRC
4th June 2014, 11:15 AM
I would like to get a starter system with around a 4-5 mile range - could someone point me in the right direction as far as antennas, transmitter power and stuff on RMRC

THANKS!!

airbagit13
4th June 2014, 11:19 AM
You have a lot of reading to do.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_319&products_id=1012

leadpan
4th June 2014, 05:12 PM
Hi folks,
I'm planning to use 1280mhz Vx with my FrSky 2.4ghz radio.
I was told it's best to get a low-pass filter http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_58&products_id=484 to prevent interference from 2.4ghz.
Has anyone else with 1.3ghz and 2.4ghz setup have problem with interference?
Will use of ferrite rings help?

RTB
4th June 2014, 07:22 PM
Is it a good idea to use a lower frequency for Video transmission with a higher frequency for Radio control?
TBS specifically recommended against this.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/05/ysu8a5y8.jpg

lsone
4th June 2014, 09:10 PM
I've been talking with ibcrazy and he suggested 1.3 vtx with a 1.3/2.4 notch filter when running with my frsky fr4 2.4 controls

IBCrazy
5th June 2014, 04:14 PM
1.3 with 2.4Ghz control works great for inside a mile maintainging line of sight communication (ie not Fresnel zone problems). Once you go beyond that, the 2.4GHz radio is a serious weak link. So long as you do not intend to push the limits, 1.3GHz video and 2.4GHz control with a filter does fine.

Mich
5th June 2014, 04:18 PM
Alex, what is the difference between a Low Pass Filter and a Notch Filter?

SecretSpy711
5th June 2014, 04:51 PM
1.3 with 2.4Ghz control works great for inside a mile maintainging line of sight communication (ie not Fresnel zone problems). Once you go beyond that, the 2.4GHz radio is a serious weak link. So long as you do not intend to push the limits, 1.3GHz video and 2.4GHz control with a filter does fine.

uhhh... this needs some very clear "BUTs":

-BUT, you can't use just *any* 2.4Ghz receiver. For example, if you use one of FrSky's little tiny 4-channel jobbers with a single antenna, you WILL have a lockout at short range. Use a GOOD diversity receiver.
-BUT, you need to separate the vtx and receiver as much as possible, and keep the power on the vtx to a minimum.
-BUT, don't think that putting a filter on your vtx will solve the harmonics issue. It won't. It'll only make the problem slightly less of a problem.

SecretSpy711
5th June 2014, 04:57 PM
Alex, what is the difference between a Low Pass Filter and a Notch Filter?

a low pass filter lets everything below the cutoff frequency pass through it.

a notch filter passes and rejects specific frequencies (at the notches).

or at least that's the idea. it won't get everything, and in some instances there is RF coming from the case of the vtx.

MrSTUDofRC
6th June 2014, 11:59 AM
Im most likely going to use a Dragonlink UHF system with my DX8 and then a 1.3 gig video system to get my 5-ish mile range

jspearm1983
14th June 2014, 12:33 AM
I have a total noob question in regard to setting failsafe on my receiver. I am still learning line-of-sight so I am not doing any FPV at the moment. I am using a FrSky taranis tx and the FrSky X8R rx. The radio is bound to the receiver and whenever I turn on the tx and then rx, it automatically binds without me having to go through the binding process each time. If I then turn my radio off, it seems the default failsafe on the tx is to set the throttle to about 50%. But, I set my fail safe last week to take the throttle to zero and add left rudder. Do I have to go through the failsafe setup each time I power up the rx? or is it suppose to save my settings from the first time I set the failsafe up?

JP1
14th June 2014, 12:52 AM
You should only have to set FS once. Did you test / verify after setting your FS to be sure it was successful? If it was it should not change.

jspearm1983
14th June 2014, 12:58 AM
Thanks for your quick response. Yes, I tested it last week and it worked as expected. Even tonight when I was testing it on the bench without the prop installed, it would work fine after I went through the setup process. But then i would simulate the end of a flight, and then act as if I were setting up for a new flight. I would turn the tx on, then turn the rx on and verify all the control surfaces were working. then to test the failsafe, I would turn the tx off (as if I lost a tx battery mid flight), and then the receiver would apply 50% throttle again. It seems every time i disconnect the flight battery, the failsafe is lost and needs to be set again.

jspearm1983
14th June 2014, 01:16 AM
Is it possible that while I'm shutting down the tx to test the fail safe, that the taranis has a default mid throttle setting that it is sending to the rx the instant that the tx powers off?

JP1
14th June 2014, 01:26 AM
The Taranis is off when it's off, Your RX should lose the signal and go into it's preset FS condition. Is there any flight controller involved? Some Flight controllers can have a FS setting as well when it sees no control or no control changes a controller can kick into it's own FS.

If you positively set the Failsafe, and verified it by turning off your TX, then the the next time it has "forgotten" the settings then there is something wrong with that RX. I've never heard of this happening before but it doesn't sound right.

jspearm1983
14th June 2014, 01:32 AM
Thanks for all your help here. I don't have a flight controller. I haven't advanced to that point yet. I'll keep digging around to see if I can find anything. I hope this was the correct place to ask the question. Thanks.

jspearm1983
14th June 2014, 01:47 AM
Taranis Failsafe problem solved: During my setup, I had accidentally entered a custom failsafe on the tx model setup. I went into the tx and updated the channel inputs for a custom failsafe and now everything is working correctly when i disconnect the flight battery and reconnect it. All settings are saved. I'm still not sure how the custom failsafe from the tx works. If the tx going down is the reason for the failsafe, how is the tx going to transmit its custom failsafe settings? Sorry to clutter this thread, hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Hockeystud87
18th June 2014, 08:08 PM
3DR Telemetry FCC Certification

I was wondering if anyone knew if the new 3DR Telemetry sets are certified by the FCC?

Does anyone have any of this info? Or know what telemetry sets are certified by the FCC?

Hockeystud87
19th June 2014, 05:12 PM
47812I cant seem to figure out what type of plug this is and what I need to connect it to the radio. It is for the ailerons.

j45on
19th June 2014, 05:24 PM
Possibly these ? http://www.pololu.com/product/1903

squishy
19th June 2014, 05:24 PM
that is a plug that connects the wing to the airplane and connects both ailerons at the same time so you have a reduced change to reverse them each time you assemble at the field, I have seen them before and the airplane usually comes with the other end which goes into the RX. Maybe you should tell us what airplane this is on or some technical details so we know what is in the picture.

ghostofSiRhC
20th June 2014, 09:49 PM
I have that same sort of plug in my Flyzone Beaver... Connects to a servo extension wire... If you can't find it, just cut it and use a standard Y harness.

Ahmed_A
20th June 2014, 11:17 PM
It's a deans micro 4 pin

http://www.electricwingman.com/deans-micro-plug-pair-black-polarised-4-pin-1241.aspx

Hockeystud87
26th June 2014, 12:32 PM
I'm looking for a program like scheme-it that is good for drawing up or creating diagrams of the electrical circuitry that you are working with. Anyone have any ideas?

Trying to get things in there like APM and receivers and such with batteries and diodes.

waltr1
26th June 2014, 05:09 PM
Check Eagle for drawing schematics.
Google Sketch is pretty good for block and wiring diagrams.

deadlypope
26th June 2014, 06:00 PM
http://www.digikey.com/schemeit
perfect for wiring and boards

http://s28.postimg.org/iwxpw0c71/digikey.png

Hockeystud87
27th June 2014, 09:02 PM
I was wondering then you guys install your video transmitters into your aircraft, do you take yours out of the metal case that comes with it?

I bought a 400mW transmitter from readymadeRC and I was wondering if I should take it out of the big metal case...

Hockeystud87
27th June 2014, 09:14 PM
So I see people only having to connect one cable into there dragon link. Is this a PMM port? Or is this Sbus?

Also if I want to do this is it compatible with APM?
If I don't want to use apm can I just setup a decoder that does directly to the servos?

Airbender
27th June 2014, 09:16 PM
I did. Purchased an 800mw 1.3 ghz TX from RMRC. Arrived in a HEAVY case. With no antenna it weighed 85 grams. Once removed, it weighed 25. I tested it on the bench with no airflow for 15 minutes powered up with antenna and camera, and it barely got warm.

sparkyincali
27th June 2014, 10:04 PM
Yes the ppm stream comes out on ch12 servo pins by default.

Hockeystud87
28th June 2014, 12:35 AM
Does this power as well as give signal? Also how do you connect the servos?

Does the apm take ppm?

EvanVH
28th June 2014, 10:38 AM
http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/connecting-your-rc-input-and-motors/

Evan

rickcavanaugh
28th June 2014, 06:02 PM
out of the case. With 30-40mph airflow you don't need the case and the extra weight

1320Fastback
28th June 2014, 08:05 PM
ReadyMade 400mw 1.3 vtx OUT of case.
Never used it since day 1.

Hockeystud87
28th June 2014, 10:54 PM
Does anyone know if I need to do anything with the transmitter for the DragonLink in order for me to get PPM to work?

I am running er9x on a tgy9x with a smarties pants board.

Or can I just hook up my dragonlink receiver to ch12 and just get it to PPM with out any problems?

Long story short. How do i get my DragonLink to hook up to my APM via PPM...

Pushjerk
28th June 2014, 11:26 PM
This might help...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1747027

Hockeystud87
29th June 2014, 01:11 AM
I'll be honest that doesn't make sense...

astral
29th June 2014, 08:37 AM
Connect dragon link radio cable to your transmitter. Make sure you change the internal transmitter to external transmitter, and on ppm. Your green light should illuminate on your dragonlink. Connect channel 12 to ppm on your flight controller. Make sure PPM is enabled in your FC. Come back and post when you get stuck on something.

Hockeystud87
29th June 2014, 01:33 PM
Connect dragon link radio cable to your transmitter. Make sure you change the internal transmitter to external transmitter, and on ppm. Your green light should illuminate on your dragonlink. Connect channel 12 to ppm on your flight controller. Make sure PPM is enabled in your FC. Come back and post when you get stuck on something.

Ok so there is nothing that I need to do with the trainer port?

Not sure what internal and external transmitter is.

Dennis
29th June 2014, 01:54 PM
I have the exact same problem... Same radio and the smartieparts programmer board installed.

Prior to flashing er9x it worked fine on the stock firmware (kicking myself for flashing this!)..

I can not get PPM working at all.. if I hook up servo's, those operate as they should but nothing to the PPM connection.. I'm trying to get a Pixhawk working but requires PPM..

Is there a decent tutorial someone can provide a link to or knows how to get this working?

Thanks!!!

Dennis

Hockeystud87
29th June 2014, 02:25 PM

When you say green light where is this light? The transmitter or reciver?

Derrick
29th June 2014, 03:45 PM
The DragonLink transmitter has a LED on it. This LED is ued to indicate the different modes. The LED meanig has changed a little as the firmware has evolved. Here is a link to DragonLink's website:
http://dragonlinkrc.com/v2/setup-dragonlink

Read through the online setup the steps are at the bottom of the page. The receiver also had 3 LEDs as well to tell you usefull information while configuring and setting this up.

They are as follows:
Mounting on the Transmitter Stand
Choose a Radio Setup
Install the Transmitter Antenna
Transmitter Menu
DragonLink Receiver
Receiver Calibration
Receiver Binding
Change Transmitter ID

I have had some receivers that have the proper screen printing on them and some that have the screen printing backwards... ie Ch8 = Ch1. Test out your system with a servo to see f you have this problem.

I can't help you with the 9X w/9XR... I have the 9XR w/ER9x and a Taranis.

Nate21
29th June 2014, 04:39 PM
RMRC 1.3g 1500mw, 800mw, and 400mw all out of case. I don't run them for more than a few mins at a time on the ground just to be cautious. They all get pretty warm after 3-4 mins with no airflow. They have always been mounted in direct airflow on a Skywalker and a Penguin. I have the 400mw right behind gimbal on my QAV400, I'm sure it gets plenty of prop wash just hovering. I might use a small aluminum heatsink if I was gonna bury one in a wing but that's probably not even necessary.

Hockeystud87
1st July 2014, 12:31 AM
So I thought I was going to maiden my damn Z2 today but, I get the field and of course I have a issue.

So When I play with my plane it seems to lock up now where ever I move the throttle up past a certain point. I have check and I have no fail safes anything of the sort set it.

I am using PPM to my APM from the dragonlink on TGY9x with smartypants and er9x.

I am able to get signal from the remote and I swear everything was fine checked all the endpoints then something happened... Now it just locks up on me past a certain throttle point and on top I have no left control input on APM.

I can see the signals sending out from my tgy9x screen as it is receiving the control input just nothing on the apm.... Anyone got some ideas?

MichaelCochran
1st July 2014, 03:52 AM
Nope, till now. But will have a try, one day.lol

Liquidsilver
1st July 2014, 08:43 AM
Are multirotor people also removing the vtx from the case? I didn't know if extended hovering would effect the airflow.

inis
1st July 2014, 04:30 PM
I did. Purchased an 800mw 1.3 ghz TX from RMRC. Arrived in a HEAVY case. With no antenna it weighed 85 grams. Once removed, it weighed 25. I tested it on the bench with no airflow for 15 minutes powered up with antenna and camera, and it barely got warm.
Yeah I had a 1500 that weighed 12 grams with antenna. I've since swapped to a 300 which weighs about as much as a penny.

EZfpv
8th July 2014, 05:05 AM
Just search for "Scout Bee" in advance search and you will find several threads with setup and build tips. I am building one myself and excited about getting it completed.

It is usually difficult to get everything from one place and what you may save in shipping may not land you with the best selection of equipment. But just off the top of my head I can say Hobbyking may satisfy your one-shop objective, They carry EZUHF and Orange LRS for long range. They carry Lawmate 2.4 and Immersion 5.8 for video which are good choices but I would lean towards 2,4 and 1.2/1.3 systems for longer range. I ordered the Turnigy SK3 3536-1400kv and 2x4000mah 3S Zippy Compacts for my SB from HK. They have a good selection of motors and batteries there. For the OSD get one with RTH. You will never regret it especially if it is properly tied to your failsafe. Antennas also I would go with ReadymadeRC, SierraRC or FPVLR.com.

Hans
8th July 2014, 05:38 AM
Hi everyone! Quick question... i ordered the scout bee 60 and was looking what would be a decent setup for mid to long range.. i will be getting fpv later on but not sure what i should do till then.. one of the requirements would be to order everything from one site any ideas? thinking of getting a futaba 6ch for it as well.. any help will be appreciated.

Something went wrong and now the above quote became the first post of this thread. Apologies and we're trying to fix it.