PDA

View Full Version : Powering multirotor flight controllers?

Danub
27th June 2012, 04:46 PM
How are you guys powering your flight controllers for FPV multirotors?
At first I was going to go with a CCBEC. . . But then I got to thinking that if I used a BEC from an ESC that would be OK.

I am considering using the power from one of my ESC's to power my flight controller (OPCC)which powers my RC RX. I am thinking that NO servos need to be driven therefore the power consumption would be low, and also that the flight time of a quad is not like most FPV planes 10-15 minutes at most?

Whatdya Think? :)

Danub
27th June 2012, 10:36 PM
I will still be powering my FPV gear VIA a UBEC etc. Am I skirting disaster trying this??

Kevinv033
28th June 2012, 12:14 AM
That's what I do. Use a BEC from a single ESC to power you CC board.

Scotttu
28th June 2012, 12:15 AM
Just like my fixed wing, 1a CC BEC - into the RX, jumpers to the CC board - life is good.

Danub
28th June 2012, 12:29 AM
That's what I do. Use a BEC from a single ESC to power you CC board.
Thanks! Do you pass that power through to your RC RX? I think that is what I am going to try on my QAV500 *fingers crossed*. I just got it in the mail woohoo :)
one motors esc- - - > open pilot CC- - - >RC RX via CC harness. My first quad had just too much junk on it. LOL

scottu that is how my first quad is wired up. . . . it works but I think this wiring approach should be cleaner and equally as safe. I hope ;)

Kevinv033
28th June 2012, 12:30 AM
That's it.

Mongrel Gear
28th June 2012, 06:17 AM
A uBec is ideal, but it depends on what ESCs you are using. Some brands (Hobby Wing) can all be connected in parallel without issue. Some, like the Turnigy Plush will get really hot!!