PDA

View Full Version : Custom 5.8 Antenna

schnellschnell
26th June 2012, 12:30 PM
Hugo, my quad (ht-fpv) has the vTx at the rear of the frame. Since there is no landing gear I have my antenna pointed up, but would prefer if it was down. I had an idea but not sure if it would be durable / feasible. What do you think?

My crude drawing is of the antenna with an extension and a right angle with enough length to allow it to bend upwards a few cm upon landing. Of course low flights might be an issue, or branches etc. Not sure how to handle that but had to start somewhere, ping pong ball?

j

HugeOne
26th June 2012, 01:47 PM
Using the same tube I use for my 1.2Ghx omnis, I could have the 90deg. bend. Not allowing it down to the SMA would add more flex at the base.
Ping pong ball is a good idea, I also have one of my own... LMK if you want to go with something custom, no xtra as this is interesting development.

-Hugo

schnellschnell
26th June 2012, 03:02 PM
I'd be interested in trying it out - I need to order an antenna for the quad anyhow. However I will be offline for a 2 weeks starting Saturday, so we can pick up then and both have some time to think about it.

So far I thought instead of 90 degree bend or joint, a curve or arc to bring it below might be stronger - can you put a bend in the connection wire? When you say 'Not allowing it down to the SMA...' do you mean a rigid part out of the SMA? That would be good as I was concerned about strain relief at that point.

Either way a ball or cover would be a necessity now that I think more of my recent landings... At the end of the day something durable at the cost of some range is fine with me. I only get 7-8 minutes flight time so I don't get too far.

j