PDA

View Full Version : 2 new multi-rotor motors from fpvmanuals (40mm stator)

timnilson
13th June 2012, 02:13 AM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8145/7182607659_d8170c18eb_c.jpg

I just added 2 new 620kv, 40mm stator multi-rotor motors to getfpv.com and they are both in stock and ready to ship:

1.) An updated version of the popular NX-4008 in all black and with long motor cables.

Still with the triangular mounting hole pattern. Bolts right onto the Pro Tricopter Delrin Kit.

http://www.getfpv.com/electronics/nx-4008-620kv-multi-rotor-motor.html

http://www.getfpv.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/p/fpvmanuals-nx-4008-front.jpg

2.) A new 40mm stator motor I'm calling the FM-4008. It also has long motor cables as well as a thicker shaft compared to the NX-4008 (a 4mm shaft). The motor comes with shaft rings to get the shaft to be 5mm or 6mm. This beefed up NX-4008 also does not use a prop adapter anymore, but a threaded steel shaft with an aluminum spinner. This motor has mounting holes that are 25x25mm apart. This pattern is supported by the QAV500 FPV Quadcopter frame.

http://www.getfpv.com/fm4008-620kv-multi-rotor-motor.html

http://www.getfpv.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/m/fm4008_front.jpg

http://www.getfpv.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/m/fm4008_shaft.jpg

Ant
13th June 2012, 08:14 AM
Looks great Tim. Do you have any stats or specs on these motors?
I am keen to see how the FM 4008 compares (on paper) to the Mt 4006 and whether the bearings for these motors are the same ( in dimension) as the bearings for the NX 4008.

I look forward to hearing more.

sandblaster
13th June 2012, 02:04 PM
Good looking motors and good price. See the thread of the frame is closed, so guess have to ask here. What shipping will be used on the frames on the 20th?

When will you have the 10X4.7 pusher props in?

Flying Monkey
13th June 2012, 02:37 PM
Those are definately some sexy motors! I love the NX4008 in black... but I think I'll go with the FM4008 based on the threaded shaft (more reliable IMO) and its a bit beefier. Must feel good seeing your logo on them?

timnilson
13th June 2012, 03:52 PM
Looks great Tim. Do you have any stats or specs on these motors?
I am keen to see how the FM 4008 compares (on paper) to the Mt 4006 and whether the bearings for these motors are the same ( in dimension) as the bearings for the NX 4008.

I look forward to hearing more.

The stator and windings of both motors are the same. They should produce similar specs as what the NX-4008 spec sheet looks like. However, I think the spec sheet is overall a bit too optimistic on the thrust numbers. Take a 10% marketing discount on the thrust numbers and I think you're about there.

http://www.getfpv.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/_/4.jpg

Good looking motors and good price. See the thread of the frame is closed, so guess have to ask here. What shipping will be used on the frames on the 20th?

When will you have the 10X4.7 pusher props in?

My goal was to offer a good motor that is a lot lower in price than high-end 40mm stator motors like a Tiger MT-4006. While the quality is not as high-end as the Tiger motor, you can save over $100 when you buy 4 of these motors compared to buying Tiger MT-4006. I think that's significant. These motors sit in-between a cheap HobbyKing motor like the DT-700 and the high end Avrotos, Tiger, etc. from a price and quality point of view.

The shipping method for the QAV500 is whatever you pick during check-out. The options depend on weight. Best bet is to ship with USPS "Priority Mail", which is fast in the US and even internationally (for most of the time). I closed the QAV500 thread by accident... I think I clicked the 'close this thread' check-box by accident when posting. It's back now.

APC pusher props should be back in a week or so.

Those are definately some sexy motors! I love the NX4008 in black... but I think I'll go with the FM4008 based on the threaded shaft (more reliable IMO) and its a bit beefier. Must feel good seeing your logo on them?

Just remember that both of these motors have unique mounting hole patterns: The NX-4008 has the triangular pattern which is supported by both the fpvmanuals Pro Tricopter Delrin Kit and the QAV500 FPV Quadcopter kit. The FM-4008 has mounting holes that are 25mmx25mm appart. You will not be able to mount this motor on DJI arms, for example, as they only support a 16mmx19mm mounting hole pattern. You can also not mount these on the Pro Tricopter Delrin Kit. But the QAV500 does support mounting this motor with all 4 screws. Feels great to see the fpvmanuals logo on these motors. :)

Flying Monkey
13th June 2012, 04:11 PM
Tim, have you tried any of the Gemfan props? At first I didn't like them because they're noisier and I had attributed that to less efficient, but on my thrust stand they actually come pretty close to the same thrust and amp draw as APC. The nice thing about the gemfans is that a 10x4.7 prop is $2 whether its CCW or CW... versus $3 and $4+ for the APC props. And you can get the carbon filled one for 50 cents more. More brittle in a crash, but can handle high Gs better.

I still haven't tried Graupner props though... Too scared to break $7 props!!

timnilson
13th June 2012, 04:53 PM
Tim, have you tried any of the Gemfan props? At first I didn't like them because they're noisier and I had attributed that to less efficient, but on my thrust stand they actually come pretty close to the same thrust and amp draw as APC. The nice thing about the gemfans is that a 10x4.7 prop is $2 whether its CCW or CW... versus $3 and $4+ for the APC props. And you can get the carbon filled one for 50 cents more. More brittle in a crash, but can handle high Gs better.

I still haven't tried Graupner props though... Too scared to break $7 props!!

No, I have not tried Gemfan props. The Graupner props are worth every penny.

Ant
13th June 2012, 06:13 PM
The stator and windings of both motors are the same. They should produce similar specs as what the NX-4008 spec sheet looks like.

Thanks Tim,
Am I right in thinking that the bearings are going to be the same between the NX 4008 and the FM 4008??

timnilson
13th June 2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks Tim,
Am I right in thinking that the bearings are going to be the same between the NX 4008 and the FM 4008??

No, the bearings are different as the NX-4008 has a 3mm shaft and the FM-4008 has a 4mm shaft.

imdone
13th June 2012, 11:48 PM
do these motors both use the 20awg wires?

timnilson
14th June 2012, 12:41 AM
do these motors both use the 20awg wires?

Yes, they do.

silverado_22
13th July 2012, 09:40 AM
Hi hi Tim!

Ca I use this motor (FM4008, NX4008) with the new QAV500 copter and the Graupner E-Props 10x5? They are with a 8mm shaft...
Can I use the 30A DJI ESC and the NAZA?

Thanks
silverado

timnilson
14th July 2012, 11:22 AM
Hi hi Tim!

Ca I use this motor (FM4008, NX4008) with the new QAV500 copter and the Graupner E-Props 10x5? They are with a 8mm shaft...

Thanks
silverado

You can use both of these motors with the QAV500. However, you will need a locating ring (reducer) to bring the Graupner E-Prop down from 8mm to 5mm. Graupner makes a carbon fiber ring and some shops sell an after-market aluminum ring. Without this, you will not be able to use this prop on any of the suitable outrunner motors for the QAV500 (not just the NX-4008 or FM-4008).

killab
2nd August 2012, 11:46 AM
Do you have the available with a short shaft to use the screw on type adapter? I see it has the three holes on top so would like to use those instead of collets. along with that do you know the spacing of those holes in the bell?

timnilson
2nd August 2012, 12:35 PM
Do you have the available with a short shaft to use the screw on type adapter? I see it has the three holes on top so would like to use those instead of collets. along with that do you know the spacing of those holes in the bell?

No, I do not have a short shaft version of this motor. The FM-4008 does not use a prop adapter or collet. The spinner screws right onto the threaded shaft.

Flying Monkey
2nd August 2012, 01:46 PM
You can use both of these motors with the QAV500. However, you will need a locating ring (reducer) to bring the Graupner E-Prop down from 8mm to 5mm. Graupner makes a carbon fiber ring and some shops sell an after-market aluminum ring. Without this, you will not be able to use this prop on any of the suitable outrunner motors for the QAV500 (not just the NX-4008 or FM-4008).

I finally got a set of graupners to test. The reducer ring is taller than the thickness of the hub! I had to clamp it and cut it down with a hacksaw... Very strange that such an expensive ring has to be modified! Other than that the props were nicely balanced and fly well at high speed. On the thrust stand, I found that a 11x5 graupner is the equivalent in thrust to a 10" apc... but slightly more efficient (4%).

killab
2nd August 2012, 02:45 PM
Ya those are the ones i like. Do you know if that spinner will fit these? Opviously with a little shaft trimming.

multirotorsg
1st September 2012, 12:54 AM
Hi hi Tim!

Thanks
silverado

Yeah it would be great if someone could share if they had the above combinations (DJI ESC + FM4008 +Naza FC).

Just received my QAV500 1.1 frame but my local hobby store was out of Tiger MT-4006. Should have ordered these and the ESC together with frame :p.

timnilson
1st September 2012, 11:21 AM
I now sell Graupner E-Props and the needed spacer rings in 4mm, 5mm, and 6mm. For the NX-4008 and FM-4008 you can use the 5mm rings, which will fit both motors.

http://www.getfpv.com/propellers.html?manufacturer=129

http://www.getfpv.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/r/graupner-8mm-to-5mm.jpg

roberto
1st September 2012, 12:20 PM
Nice motors! Have you tried them with SimonK firmware? Looks like these pancakes are not happy with that, but itīs being worked out.

sickwitit
10th September 2012, 08:39 PM
Tim,

What's the status of the FM-4008 motors? I see today they are listed on Backorder.

timnilson
14th September 2012, 12:36 AM
Tim,

What's the status of the FM-4008 motors? I see today they are listed on Backorder.

The FM-4008 are now back in stock:

killab
18th September 2012, 08:58 PM
Tim, just installed mine and one is bad, seems to be the top bearing is crushed or something the whole bell and shaft move around and are not staying straight.

timnilson
18th September 2012, 10:38 PM
Tim, just installed mine and one is bad, seems to be the top bearing is crushed or something the whole bell and shaft move around and are not staying straight.

You emailed me about this, right? I am sending you a new one tomorrow.

killab
18th September 2012, 10:48 PM
Yes sir, thanks for the fast and great customer service.

Ant
19th September 2012, 05:18 AM
fast and great customer service.

Having dealt with Tim for a while now, those two aspects definitely shine through. Great customer service and also very fast with orders. I now only deal with a very small amount of web based businesses and Tim's is one of them.

killab
25th September 2012, 08:18 PM
Ok so did some more flying today, now two more of the motors are doing the same thing.. What is this? They click when you spin them around. I dont understand why they are doing it. and PS is not the one that just got replaced. So Tim i think i need two more. When you get the one i returned can you please diagnose it and tell me what the issue is.

short video of the issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znqCon_STBQ

timnilson
25th September 2012, 09:11 PM
Ok so did some more flying today, now two more of the motors are doing the same thing.. What is this? They click when you spin them around. I dont understand why they are doing it. and PS is not the one that just got replaced. So Tim i think i need two more. When you get the one i returned can you please diagnose it and tell me what the issue is.

short video of the issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znqCon_STBQ

Thanks for the video. Here is something you can try. It sounds like the set screw that is holding the motor bell to the shaft is possibly a little loose and the bell moved up... then you have vertical play as the bell can move up and down. Loosen the small set screw and pull the shaft up gently and push the bell down. Then tighten the set screw again (but make sure you don't over-tighten it! That will ruin the motor.). See if that fixes your clicking sound. See the attached picture of the set screw location.

killab
25th September 2012, 09:22 PM
No that didn't work, its a side to side motion not so much up and down. The up and down I've delt with before.

timnilson
25th September 2012, 10:14 PM
No that didn't work, its a side to side motion not so much up and down. The up and down I've delt with before.

That would indicate the bearings are a bit loose. That can, but does not need to be a problem during flight though. If you don't like the bearings (which are not at the same quality level of AXI or Tiger motors), you can always consider a bearings upgrade. The bearings you'd need for these motors are listed on the store page here:

or go straight to boca bearings and select a set (each kit has 2 bearings to complete one motor):
http://www.bocabearings.com/search.aspx?SearchType=quick&s=bmk-080#TopOfSearchResults

Keep in mind that these motors cost half that of a Tiger motor and the lower quality of the bearings is one of the key reasons why that is so. Even with a bearings upgrade, the FM-4008 motors are still cheaper than Tiger MT-4006 motors... and the bearings might be better depending on which set you get.

killab
25th September 2012, 10:46 PM
I understand that there are better bearings that could be had. But I just spend my money on your motors, thinking they would work just fine. Id assume most bearing would last more than four flights. They are not suitable for flight, I can hear it clicking as they rotate. Unless my brand new qav loaded with fpv gear is something your willing to replace when the bearing locks up.

Im not really sure what your telling me to do. I just sent you one motor and a bowed arm which cost me even more money. Don't take any of this the wrong way, I'm just getting alittle frustrated at the amount of stuff I'm purchasing I'm having to return cause its defective.

If you would rather handle this in email that's fine. You have mine so feel free to email me.
Thanks
John

timnilson
25th September 2012, 10:49 PM
John -- let me take a look at the motor you're sending back so I can see what's going on.

killab
25th September 2012, 10:57 PM
No problem, you should have it Friday

Ant
26th September 2012, 03:22 AM
Tim, I also look forward to getting your feedback when you receive the motor from killab. It doesn't sound like it is a bearing issue. When my bearings failed me, they just squealed on acceleration. It does sound more like a set screw somewhere along the line isn't adjusted correctly.

If I can 'chime' in on this - I can confirm that the NX 4008 motors I have been using are let down on the bearings they ship with, but, as the saying goes, "you get what you pay for".
From what I understand, the main difference between the NX and FM motors is that the FM's have a 4mm shaft whereas the NX have a 3mm.
I now own multiple sets of the NX 4008 motors (some with expensive upgraded bearings), a set (4) of the FM 4008 and now a set (4) of the Tiger MT 4006 motors. After receiving the Tigers, I don't think I will be buying any of the others as the quality difference is substantial, not just in the finish and the bearings, but also in the way that the prop adapter is attached - much stronger in my opinion.
Again, for the money, there is nothing wrong with the NX and FM motors - you just have to be aware of their 'issues'.

I need to stress here that I am not in any way trying to put a negative spin on the NX or FM motors - heck I have quite a few of them here and will continue to use them.

killab
26th September 2012, 02:18 PM
I appreciate that feedback, I really have not had any issues with any motor ive purchased in the past, This why i was so shocked to see these this way. I understand quality of motor being different, but not as soon as you buy them and use them for 4 flights. I could understand if i had a few months on them and have put maybe 20+ packs threw them to have to do some maintenece on them. I have faith in Tim to handle this the correct way. So ill hold tight and wait for his response.
I was using some sunnysky motors before and they have been outstanding as far a quality.

killab
29th September 2012, 12:27 AM
TIM did you get the motor I sent you? waiting to hear back from you.

timnilson
5th October 2012, 07:36 PM
Many of you that are using the NX-4008 motors have requested replacement prop adapters. They are now available at getfpv.com!
http://www.getfpv.com/nx4008-prop-adapter.html

http://www.getfpv.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/n/x/nx-4008-prop-adapter.jpg

Ant
17th October 2012, 09:25 AM
Hi Tim,
I am a little confused. I ordered the FPVManuals NX 4008 motors a little while back and have finally got them set up on a tricopter. I have always used the APC props and the supplied adapters have always fitted the motor shafts perfectly. For some reason, these new motors don't seem to have the same shaft dimension and neither of the two supplied adapters with the APC props are a good fit.
Do you have any suggestions??

timnilson
17th October 2012, 10:25 AM
Hi Tim,
I am a little confused. I ordered the FPVManuals NX 4008 motors a little while back and have finally got them set up on a tricopter. I have always used the APC props and the supplied adapters have always fitted the motor shafts perfectly. For some reason, these new motors don't seem to have the same shaft dimension and neither of the two supplied adapters with the APC props are a good fit.
Do you have any suggestions??

Can you measure the shaft? Should be 5mm. The APC props normally come with imperial locator rings that sort of fit - but never perfect. It's possible that the APC props don't have a matching locator ring.

Ant
17th October 2012, 05:13 PM
Yes, that is correct. I am sure the original NX 4008 motors had a smaller shaft and the adapters with the APC props fitted perfectly. The FPV Manuals NX 4008 has a larger shaft and the adapters for the APC don't fit very firmly at all. Surprised no one else has found this.

Ant
22nd October 2012, 02:32 AM
Just out of curiosity, what props are successfully being used on the FPV Manuals NX 4008 motors??
As I mentioned, the adapters with the APC props just don't fit very well at all.

Keen to hear what others are having success with.

bluehash
22nd October 2012, 07:43 AM
Hello All,
I'm having a problem with my FM4008 motor shaft. It looks like the shaft has completely loosened itself from the rotor frame causing the prop to move independent of te rotor. I started a thread here. Any help (http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?9243-FM4008-Motor-Help) is appreciated.

timnilson
22nd October 2012, 09:27 AM
Just out of curiosity, what props are successfully being used on the FPV Manuals NX 4008 motors??
As I mentioned, the adapters with the APC props just don't fit very well at all.

Keen to hear what others are having success with.

The FM-4008 has a 5mm shaft ring and the APC props include a locator ring that can be made to fit by opening the diameter just a tiny bit. A set of Graupner E-Props 10x5 with the additional 8mm to 5mm locator ring works well.
http://www.getfpv.com/graupner-prop-reducers-8mm-to-4mm-4pcs.html

Hello All,
I'm having a problem with my FM4008 motor shaft. It looks like the shaft has completely loosened itself from the rotor frame causing the prop to move independent of te rotor. I started a thread here. Any help (http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?9243-FM4008-Motor-Help) is appreciated.

The little set screw is the only element that holds the shaft onto the bell. If it fails (either by being loose or by the threads having stripped), the shaft will spin freely. If it's just loose, try to gently tighten it. Do not over-tighten as the threads can strip.

bluehash
22nd October 2012, 10:03 AM
The little set screw is the only element that holds the shaft onto the bell. If it fails (either by being loose or by the threads having stripped), the shaft will spin freely. If it's just loose, try to gently tighten it. Do not over-tighten as the threads can strip.

Thanks Tim. The threads look fine, so it probably something elase. Is there a way to take the bell apart.

Ant
23rd October 2012, 12:25 AM
The FM-4008 has a 5mm shaft ring and the APC props include a locator ring that can be made to fit by opening the diameter just a tiny bit.

Thanks Tim, but I am talking about the NX motors not the FM.
The APC adapters don't seem to fit very well at all.

killab
23rd October 2012, 01:38 PM
Hi tim i sent an email to you about motors, i know you got to be busy with all the orders and stuff, but just wanted to let you know. So when you get a chance.

Thanks

Ant
6th January 2013, 08:19 AM
Hi Tim, i sent you an email but haven't heard back. Figured you are obviously pretty busy.
Can you please confirm whether the bearing dimension/sizes are the same for both the FM 4008 and the MT 4006-13 motors?
I can't find any details on your site about the bearings for the MT motors.

timnilson
6th January 2013, 10:29 AM
Hi tim i sent an email to you about motors, i know you got to be busy with all the orders and stuff, but just wanted to let you know. So when you get a chance.

Thanks

I am pretty caught up with customer service email, so I hope you got your question answered.

Hi Tim, i sent you an email but haven't heard back. Figured you are obviously pretty busy.
Can you please confirm whether the bearing dimension/sizes are the same for both the FM 4008 and the MT 4006-13 motors?
I can't find any details on your site about the bearings for the MT motors.

The bearings for the 2 fpvmanuals motors FM-4008 and FM-4006, as well as the Tiger MT-4006 are all the same size. If you look on getfpv.com, the product pages for the FM-4008 and FM-4006 have a link to Bocca Bearings to buy high end bearings if needed.

http://www.bocabearings.com/search.aspx?SearchType=quick&s=bmk-080#TopOfSearchResults

These bearings are OD: 11mm, ID: 4mm, Width: 4mm. Please note that the NX-4008 uses different bearings.

daskim
6th January 2013, 08:54 PM
What would everyone recommend as an ESC to use with the Naza M, and Tiger MT-4006 motors?

I would prefer one where I don't have to remove the red wire, but I would love to hear any suggestions.

Also, what is meant by "Use "HIGH" timing for PWM ESCs." I am not familiar with what a PWM ESCs is, and how to set that timing.

Intent is mostly aerial videography.

Thanks.