PDA

View Full Version : DJI Naza GPS

BacklashRC
10th June 2012, 08:10 PM
I thought I would start a thread dedicated to the Naza GPS Flight Controller. I hope to create a single point for comprehensive troubleshooting of the unit. I have been flying with Naza on my quad for about a month. Last night I installed the GPS device for it. Today I took it out to the field for a test. Over the next day or two I will add photos of the unit, both in the package and installed. I will also post videos as I get the unit trimmed on the Quad.

*** Test Video of Successful PH and RTH ***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ybfiQcqP_sI

http://img.tapatalk.com/4c795b0c-c704-5975.jpg

In the meantime, my immediate results are as follows:

Return To Home - This was a fail :) I set the quad on the ground and plugged in the battery. I let the GPS and flight controller initialize. Once the GPS has acquired a sufficient number of satellites (about 30 seconds tops) I take off. Note that the moment you advance your throttle the Home position is set. I flew the quad out over a grass/dirt lot at an altitude of about 15' AGL (fifteen feet above ground level). Now for the moment of truth. I switch off my transmitter hoping to see the quad climb to an altitude of 20 meters above loss of signal. It should have then returned to my location and after about 15 seconds of hovering, descended at my feet. Instead the props lost power and it dropped like a rock :)

This turned out to be user error. I do not have the fail-safe setup properly with the Naza controller. I have temporarily put the fail-safe position on a TX switch. No longer at the field, I went out to the front yard to give it a try. RTH (Return to Home) IS WORKING but I did not have enough room to let it do its thing so I will have to provide a full report later.

********** Subject: Return to Home **********

1. I would like Return to Home to engage when the quad loses signal from my transmitter. I am currently using a JR 9503 transmitter with an 8 channel Xpektrum DSMX receiver (model to be added later). JR has two types of failsafe. Smartsafe holds all sticks and switches in the last transmitted position accept the throttle which moes to a preset. This is useless for Return to Home since activating it should be switch controlled rather than throttle controlled. The second type of fail-safe from JR is called Preset Fail-Safe. This option reverts all controls including switches to a preset condition that the user defines when the TX is bound with the RX. Note that the Preset Fail-Safe is not available on all JR/Spektrum receivers. As luck would have it is not on the 8 channel unit that I am currently using making it useless for return to home.

Overall so far I am extremely happy with the unit. Like the Naza Controller itself, the GPS unit just works right out of the box (discounting user error). More to come...

********** Subject: Position Hold *************

Objective: The quad-copter should maintain its position (both GPS coordinates and AGL when the sticks are released.

Problem: When the sticks are released the quad enters a slowly descending counter-clockwise circle. The speed of the circle increases over time as does its diameter. Initial diameter is ~10 feet. At a diameter of 20 the pilot resumes control to prevent crash.

Suspected Cause 1: I am flying a HK Talon V1 Frame. The round booms swivel in their mount which means that the motors are hard to keep true and vertical. A tilted motor could be initiating drift. I am not observing problems with the quad's yaw so this may prove not to be the problem.

Suspected Cause 2: I need to re-calibrate the ESC's. I notice that when the quad is idling they are spinning at different speeds.

Suspected Cause 3: The MC position in the setup assistant might need to be tweaked. I left it with default axis values. 6/15/2012 - I started playing with the GPS offset compensation setting in the Naza assistant software. An addition of 5 cm from default on the x and y coordinate made no discernible difference in the way the unit flew. I will exaggerate these numbers and report back.

Final Solution: I found a solution here (http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?3618-UPDATE-Toilet-bowl-in-NZ-after-Firmware-5.06-release/page2) (Thank you 139 jockey!) In short, the GPS Unit heading position should be rotated ~35 clockwise from the heading position of the Naza FC. This will stop the "Toilet Bowl" effect. This solution was posted in relation to the TB effect showing up after a firmware upgrade to the WKM. Apparently the NAZA inherited it. In anycase I just made a rough adjustment and immediately the toilet bowl effect vanished. It needs a bit of fine tuning as the quad now very slowly slides around a two foot box while maintaining altitude. I am going to consider this a fix.

I am about to mount the system onto a Hex frame and will initially run the NAZA and GPS headings in the same direction to try to repeat the problem on a different platform. I anticipate that this will eventually be fixed with a firmware update.

- BacklashRC

Scotttu
10th June 2012, 09:12 PM
Dave mentioned he met ya up there - Was up there yesterday but those two biplanes came in...

BacklashRC
10th June 2012, 09:45 PM
I think I have met Dave before. Dan and a guy from Bainbridge was there (I did not catch his name.). They seemed pretty interested in the quad. It is too bad I did not have RTH set up properly. It is pretty cool to see.

KellyR
11th June 2012, 10:39 AM
Backlash,

Hey, thanks for this thread. I just got my first RC anything about a month ago. A witespy quad with the Naza. When I heard of the upgrade & it's features it sounded really cool. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I haven't got my video setup yet, just flying LOS, but now I'm wondering if I should get this first? Decisions...decisions... :)

BacklashRC
12th June 2012, 12:19 AM
KellyR, I am not sure which one I would get first. FPV is incredible but I like knowing that my quad will fly itself home with all of that expensive equipment should the need arise.

Flying Monkey
12th June 2012, 01:05 AM
Backlash,

Hey, thanks for this thread. I just got my first RC anything about a month ago. A witespy quad with the Naza. When I heard of the upgrade & it's features it sounded really cool. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I haven't got my video setup yet, just flying LOS, but now I'm wondering if I should get this first? Decisions...decisions... :)

Get the fpv gear man!

Glenstr
12th June 2012, 09:36 AM
Subscribed.

I just got my Naza (sans GPS) in the mail, along with Flamewheel 450 frame (very nice frame) and have just wired it up and now need to do initial setup. GPS and Gator camera mount/gimbal are next on the list, likely the camera gimbal first. Oh, will be FPV'ing this too, before camera gimbal or GPS. I have an SC2000 600 tvl cam and 5.8 gear to go on it, just have to figure out how to get the SC2000 wired up now.

The GPS option is a big attraction to me, more for position hold while doing AP/AV than RTH, but the RTH would be very valuable I can see. Looking forward to your findings with it.

cheers

KellyR
12th June 2012, 12:38 PM
Get the fpv gear man!

LOL Yeah, I'm leaning that way. It's looking like my wife & I might be moving. We put an offer on a house in Gresham & it was accepted. Right behind the back fence is a park too. I can picture myself in the back yard, reclined in a chair, flying in the park. I might have to save a while to get the goggles though. But, I have a LCD screen similar to yours that I can use in the mean time.

Flying Monkey
12th June 2012, 01:34 PM
LOL Yeah, I'm leaning that way. It's looking like my wife & I might be moving. We put an offer on a house in Gresham & it was accepted. Right behind the back fence is a park too. I can picture myself in the back yard, reclined in a chair, flying in the park. I might have to save a while to get the goggles though. But, I have a LCD screen similar to yours that I can use in the mean time.

I'm building myself a set of DIY goggles using a 3.5" lcd I got off Amazon (they have 'em on ebay, but I hate ebay!). $20 for the lcd, $2 for black coroplast, $3 for a wallet size magnifier, a little comfort foam and an elastic band and I'll be good to go. Only problem... they turn to blue screen when the video goes to crap... BUT since I don't fly very far and just get the occasional blip going behind a tree I think I'll be alright. I'll let you know how they turn out!

KellyR
12th June 2012, 07:23 PM
Cool, sounds good! You got electronic skills. I'm sure I'll just buy them. If it's made out of wood I can build it, otherwise...I'm all thumbs. This is a kitchen I did.

BigHarv
18th June 2012, 04:48 AM
Has anyone set up a JR x9303/921 combo to work with the Naza with GPS? I'm having some trouble determining which transmitter controls I should configure for the VU, the Atti/Atti-GPS/Failsafe switch, the IOC switch and also have the ability to control at least the Tilt gimbal on my GoPro mount. It's probably a pipe dream that I could do all that and still have pan/tilt control on my FPV camera, but maybe. I'm not a 9303 wizard so I could use any help that someone wants to offer (so long as it's "informed" help).

Thanks,

Harv

Loopy1
18th June 2012, 01:01 PM
Nice kitchen, KellyR! I can just see a victorian style quad in your future...

KellyR
18th June 2012, 02:14 PM
LOL For some reason I just got an image of quads jousting & trumpets blowing. :)

Flying Monkey
18th June 2012, 05:06 PM
LOL For some reason I just got an image of quads jousting & trumpets blowing. :)

Hmm... Jousting quads you say? I'm envisioning quads made with an EPP frame with all the electronics safely inside... hmm...

j5coat
19th June 2012, 04:30 PM
i am using a 9303 and a ar8000, i do not have my gps as of yet but i will in a few days. I setup my manual and atti mode on the gear channel, and then i use gear mixes to make the idle up switch control my modes. My throttle hold is setup with a mix as well so it activates my fail safe in the naza. I dont have any pan and tilt or a head tracker but if you need 9303 help i can help with the setup.

BigHarv
19th June 2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks J5coat.

Here's how I have it set up right now. I've got everything I need except that I'd love to have the ability to select the FailSafe-RTH mode with a switch as well as having it initiate on radio contact loss. I can set that up in the Control Mode selections but I'll have to lose Manual (which I'll probably never use since it's an AP ship). It would be great to have both available though.

Please let me know if you see anything wrong with the way I've set things up below. I haven't tested it yet - waiting for better weather.

X9303 Switch Select Settings:

Flight Mode – INH
Gear – Flap SW
Flap – Aux2 SW (trim-off)
Aux 2 – Flap Lever
Aux 3 – Aux3 Lever
Aux 4 – Mix SW

921 Channels Connections:

1. Throttle - T
2. Aileron - A
3. Elevator - E
4. Rudder - R
5. Gear - U – Control Mode, Manual/Atti/Atti-GPS or Atti/Atti-GPS/Failsafe (controlled by Flight Mode Sw)
6. Aux1 - Lights on/off controlled by Aux 2 Switch
7. Aux2 - FPV Camera Pan – Controlled by Left Lever
8. Aux3 - X1 – GoPro Pitch – Controlled by Right Lever
9. Aux4 - X2 – IOC – Controlled by Throttle Hold

j5coat
19th June 2012, 05:31 PM
i had to go read the directions for the ioc, as all i wanted the gps for is rth and position hold for pictures. Looks like that should work for you, just make sure you test everything with it hooked up to the computer first. make sure it goes it the failsafe you want when you turn off the radio and make sure each flight mode is correct and you should be good.

j5coat
21st June 2012, 12:00 AM
My gps arrived today, it was pretty easy to setup. I am only using the RTH and position hold and they both worked great! The RTH work flawless as well, i tried it at 100m, 500m, and a whopping 1300m! I am flying spektrum and still have yet to have a lockout, but now i dont have to worry about it.

tree
10th July 2012, 12:42 PM
i ordered another 450 quad with naza and fatshark goggles. this time with gps. got my order on sat am. :) had her built by afternoon. calibrated on sun. once i calibrated the gps she flew rock solid. postion hold worked great. rth gps test today at the local dog park (field next to park) .

WU5C
18th December 2012, 12:08 AM
I seem to have incurred a problem. I cannot get the Drivers to install correctly. The shop purchased a new Dell with 64 bit windows 8. Anyone else having this issue? BTW I am just starting in the FPV, have all the gear but do not have it wired. Waiting for Molex connectors from DigiKey. 5.8 GHz with Futaba T8FG running S-Bus.

RandallJ
18th December 2012, 11:39 PM
I have the Naza w/GPS and a Spektrum AR8000 transceiver with telemetry.. the problem is the ends from the Naza.. they are tabbed and do not fit into the transciever (ar8000) shave them?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-gZKS7B6uA6A/UNE2K7lqdGI/AAAAAAAAag8/cBZ5_ai9kNA/s542/2012-12-18_22-35-46_915.jpg

no where for tab... easy to trim plug, just makin sure...
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4Ob_nKok8Ys/UNE3vwk5F-I/AAAAAAAAai0/ru8y36AsNKo/s1023/2012-12-18_22-42-29_612.jpg

rally2
19th December 2012, 12:58 AM
RandallJ

Thats fine. I end up trimming most of mine so they work in either JR/Spectrum or Futaba receivers.

Wise_Man
19th December 2012, 01:01 AM
Yep, you have to shave them.
Or, you can a buy a new set of male-to-male short servo extensions (https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23036__3cm_Male_to_Male_Servo_Lead_26AWG_10pcs_s et_.html)(with JR style connectors) or long ones like this (https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21759__20CM_Male_to_Male_Servo_Lead_JR_26AWG_10p cs_set_.html).

WU5C
20th December 2012, 03:09 PM
I cannot get the drivers to load on my Dell XPS running Windows 8. Am I the only one that has this problem? I have DJI's Assistant running on Windows XP no problem. But cannot the drivers to load. Also I have run the 64 bit installation program from DJI still no luck. Please pm me if you have a work-around...

RandallJ
20th December 2012, 04:06 PM
I cannot get the drivers to load on my Dell XPS running Windows 8. Am I the only one that has this problem? I have DJI's Assistant running on Windows XP no problem. But cannot the drivers to load. Also I have run the 64 bit installation program from DJI still no luck. Please pm me if you have a work-around...
You may want to try "compatibility" mode.. Could very well be that they are not up to speed with all incantations of W8 yet..
Installing from safe mode or a "clean boot" sometimes will stop a pesky service that is interfering with the install..

WU5C
21st December 2012, 02:19 AM
Thanks Randall;
I will give that a try. We are closed for Christmas and won't get back into the shop until late next week. However I will try your suggestions and hope for good luck. Merry Christmas, and thanks for helping me with this bug...jp

daggad
21st December 2012, 05:06 AM
I run the DJI assistance on my win8 Acer computer. I think the app actually runs on Java, try to update your Java version.

Zeeflyboy
21st December 2012, 05:31 AM
Problem is they aren't signed drivers and its a pain on windows 8.

If you search for "how to install unsigned drivers windows 8" that should point you in the right direction.

RandallJ
21st December 2012, 09:27 AM
Problem is they aren't signed drivers and its a pain on windows 8.

If you search for "how to install unsigned drivers windows 8" that should point you in the right direction. +1..
I have not taken on W8 (most of my clients are reluctant go hit W7 with XP so stable for them)

WU5C
21st December 2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks again guys for your valuable input, I run in the MAC world and not in the Windows atmosphere. So I'm not too up to date with the windows platform, but have a shop Dell that is running XP which as you state is a very stable platform. Indeed it is. Heck I might even go in the weekend and see if I can get the Assistant software drivers installed. Again thanks for the help.

Zeeflyboy
21st December 2012, 01:04 PM
Me too, I was running windows 8 in parallels on my mac but it proved a right pain with all our rc software...

Deleted it and installed win7 instead - much better!

Flying Monkey
21st December 2012, 01:15 PM
+1..
I have not taken on W8 (most of my clients are reluctant go hit W7 with XP so stable for them)

Is there a way to get a copy of XP and install it over windows 7? I hate, HATE, HATE windows 7. I'm still prefering to use my five year old laptop over my two year old laptop and I'm babying the thing to last a few more years... and I shudder to think of what evil things microcrap has done to windows 8... makes me want to throw my laptop against the wall, abhore technology, and go join an amish cult.

RandallJ
21st December 2012, 01:54 PM
Is there a way to get a copy of XP and install it over windows 7? I hate, HATE, HATE windows 7. I'm still prefering to use my five year old laptop over my two year old laptop and I'm babying the thing to last a few more years... and I shudder to think of what evil things microcrap has done to windows 8... makes me want to throw my laptop against the wall, abhore technology, and go join an amish cult. There actually was a downgrade version.. availability? not sure anymore... You can still purchase XP at a number of sites (79-149$ USD) but I suggest that you make sure you have the restore software for your PC (XP just might not like your new hardware).. Better yet, buy a fresh 2.5" hard drive and just swap it out.. (leaves all your old stuff intact)
Most of the companies I do work for are going to stick with XP for the foreseeable future (and as long as Dell loads it for them on lease machines) :)

Flying Monkey
21st December 2012, 02:16 PM
There actually was a downgrade version.. availability? not sure anymore... You can still purchase XP at a number of sites (79-149$ USD) but I suggest that you make sure you have the restore software for your PC (XP just might not like your new hardware).. Better yet, buy a fresh 2.5" hard drive and just swap it out.. (leaves all your old stuff intact)
Most of the companies I do work for are going to stick with XP for the foreseeable future (and as long as Dell loads it for them on lease machines) :)

Okay, it is a laptop so it may care about the hardware. I'll see what hard drives I can get for it and get a copy of XP... Well, this'll be months out of course, tying up every dollar I have in producing the Honey Badger quad :D

I just hate how when Microsoft comes out with a new OS the local computer stores take the old version off the shelves and refuse to sell the copies they have. Makes me feel like I gotta go underworld to a black market, deep in a dark alley and give cold hard cash to some guy wearing a trenchcoat that keeps asking if I'm a cop... ;p

RandallJ
21st December 2012, 02:40 PM
Ya know I might just have a spare 2.5 here... let me check.. dont buy anything yet...

RandallJ
21st December 2012, 02:53 PM
Your laptop should be SATA, take a look.. if so, I got a drive you can have..
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zYGaTgkRlPI/UNSv3QLjxoI/AAAAAAAAa7k/nr2hoR3QXG4/s1456/2012-12-21_13-45-07_586.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ENJmulAPF24/UNSv6jGJNRI/AAAAAAAAa8I/65REZUjdS_w/s1456/2012-12-21_13-46-56_270.jpg

Flying Monkey
21st December 2012, 02:58 PM
Your laptop should be SATA, take a look.. if so, I got a drive you can have..

Seriously dude, you are my hero! I'll check over the weekend and PM you.

RandallJ
21st December 2012, 05:03 PM
Seriously dude, you are my hero! I'll check over the weekend and PM you.
better to just call me on weekends..

AerialMike
3rd March 2013, 03:48 PM
This thread is a little dated, but I figured I'd try it since it's a perfect fit topically.

I'm trying to set up my Naza-M GPS with a spektrum aR500 receiver I happened to have lying around. The Naza manual is unclear on when failsafe will be activated. I can't configure the U channel to move to the "failsafe" position when the transmitter is turned off due to the failsafe limitations of the AR500. (The AR500 disables all channels but the throttle channel, which it moves to the bind-time position of the throttle stick.) That means I can't trigger return-to-home with the switch. I'm OK with that. What I really want is for the quad to come home if the transmitter fails or the receiver goes out of range.

The Naza manual also says that failsafe will be triggered in flight if any of the A, E, T, R, or U channels goes dead, which would occur if the AR500 lost signal. This part seems to indicate that what I want to have happen will happen.

So, I really do NOT want to put my new quad up in the air and turn off the transmitter just to see if return-to-home failsafe works as expected (I haven't flown it at all yet, still setting up!!) Can anyone advise what happens when the Naza encounters AR500-style failsafe (throttle goes to, say 50% position, all other channels have no signal)?

Thanks!
Mike

WU5C
3rd March 2013, 04:51 PM
Hi Mike;
Yes I have tried it many times. I have three multicopters that I fly now. I've tested them out with the throttle at 50% and turned off my transmitter. Guess what??? the little bugger came back home and then assented to about 60 or so feet and after about (what seemed a lifetime) 30 or so seconds it just settled down to a very slow descent and landed within about 5 or so feet from where I grabbed the GPS location. I have done this for each of my multicopters just to make sure that home is where it is heading if I should loose power to the TX. Do make sure that you set the compass per DJI manual, else it might not come home...

AerialMike
3rd March 2013, 06:17 PM
Well, I took it out and tried it... but no, when the transmitter is off, the quad just sits in place, waiting for its battery to die. :-) I guess I will have to find another receiver.

RandallJ
3rd March 2013, 06:20 PM
Well, I took it out and tried it... but no, when the transmitter is off, the quad just sits in place, waiting for its battery to die. :-) I guess I will have to find another receiver. does it show going into failsafe in the software?

panzlflyer
3rd March 2013, 10:20 PM
The VU light should rapidly flash if it goes into failsafe on the ground or not.

WNCmotard
3rd March 2013, 11:29 PM
Hi Mike;
Yes I have tried it many times. I have three multicopters that I fly now. I've tested them out with the throttle at 50% and turned off my transmitter. Guess what??? the little bugger came back home and then assented to about 60 or so feet and after about (what seemed a lifetime) 30 or so seconds it just settled down to a very slow descent and landed within about 5 or so feet from where I grabbed the GPS location. I have done this for each of my multicopters just to make sure that home is where it is heading if I should loose power to the TX. Do make sure that you set the compass per DJI manual, else it might not come home...

Okay, so I'm setting up my FS setup now, and have a couple questions. I've heard the throttle just needs to be above 10%, but it's not going to hover at that throttle obviously, so should I set my FS at 50% throttle? Also, how do I mark home position before take off, or do I have to, or does the GPS do so automatically? I've searched, and read, but get mixed answers.

EDIT: I show everything going into FS in the software as it should. And I haven't even used my GPS yet just for these reasons.

panzlflyer
3rd March 2013, 11:34 PM
Home is set whereyou arm it or useing Homelock you can change it.
My throttle is just above 10% and Rth works fine.

WNCmotard
3rd March 2013, 11:40 PM
Home is set whereyou arm it or useing Homelock you can change it.
My throttle is just above 10% and Rth works fine.

Okay, so if I leave the IOC box unchecked on the autopilot setup page, then it simply registers where I arm it as home then? And I have enhanced fail safe set to return to home and land, then I'm good?

panzlflyer
3rd March 2013, 11:57 PM
Yep check return to home.
Remember it will do its own thing and raise or lower itself to its rth height if its not on the ground, so stay away from trees etc.
I flip to normal to regain control and then back to whatever

Snipeworm
4th March 2013, 12:02 AM
Remember it will do its own thing and raise or lower itself to its rth height if its not on the ground, so stay away from trees etc.

What is the RTH height? I have tested mine twice now and it has landed within 4 feet of take off but It doesnt go to the same altitude each time.

WNCmotard
4th March 2013, 12:05 AM

Awesome, everything should be setup right on mine then. Thanks!!

What is the RTH height? I have tested mine twice now and it has landed within 4 feet of take off but It doesnt go to the same altitude each time.

Roughly 20 meters, if memory serves from reading the manual.

Snipeworm
4th March 2013, 02:30 AM
OK, Thanks. I have noticed that if I plug i the naza and wait for the GPS to acquire sat lock, then unplug it and plug it back in before flight, it tends to hold the lock better. Am I nuts or has anyone else experienced this? If I don't it seems to drift backwards quite a bit.

RandallJ
4th March 2013, 10:41 AM
Okay, so I'm setting up my FS setup now, and have a couple questions. I've heard the throttle just needs to be above 10%, but it's not going to hover at that throttle obviously, so should I set my FS at 50% throttle? Also, how do I mark home position before take off, or do I have to, or does the GPS do so automatically? I've searched, and read, but get mixed answers.

EDIT: I show everything going into FS in the software as it should. And I haven't even used my GPS yet just for these reasons. I would think 50% way too high.. 10/20% much safer.. Make sure the "low battery" stuff is OFF.. When the battery gets lower in the charge area, it will activate at the least opportune time when you lean on the throttle.. (bad things happen)

IOC is pretty cool, (especially for learning but it sort of hampers your learning curve at the same time.. I use it when I get into trouble and loose my orientation or if I am in a position I simply can not have dumb thumbs..)

GPS "self acquires" on "power up" (usually under a minute) I do not leave the ground until I get "GREEN". There is a flashing LED indicator that you still need to lift off and hover until it goes out..
*(copy the flashy LED codes out of the manual and carry a copy)

daggad
4th March 2013, 11:06 AM
OK, Thanks. I have noticed that if I plug i the naza and wait for the GPS to acquire sat lock, then unplug it and plug it back in before flight, it tends to hold the lock better. Am I nuts or has anyone else experienced this? If I don't it seems to drift backwards quite a bit.

I have noticed that the GPS lock work best after a few minutes of regular flying. Just after takeoff it can drift a little and be unprecise. I guess it gets better coordinates after some forward flight ?
It is rock solid after this.

My failsafe/RTH works flawlessly. But it might jump a little on touchdown. And I had to recycle the power before I could arm it again. But I have learned that you I must go into manual mode to disengage the RTH.

WNCmotard
4th March 2013, 11:23 AM
I would think 50% way too high.. 10/20% much safer.. Make sure the "low battery" stuff is OFF.. When the battery gets lower in the charge area, it will activate at the least opportune time when you lean on the throttle.. (bad things happen)

IOC is pretty cool, (especially for learning but it sort of hampers your learning curve at the same time.. I use it when I get into trouble and loose my orientation or if I am in a position I simply can not have dumb thumbs..)

GPS "self acquires" on "power up" (usually under a minute) I do not leave the ground until I get "GREEN". There is a flashing LED indicator that you still need to lift off and hover until it goes out..
*(copy the flashy LED codes out of the manual and carry a copy)

Good deal, thanks Randall. I don't use IOC as I have been flying for a while now (watch that statement bite me next time out LOL), and feel it would just mess me up at this point. I'll redo my throttle settings this week, as it will be weekend before I get any stick time most likely.

Yeah, I need to go through the manual and make an LED cheat sheet actually, way too many to remember off the top of my head.

RandallJ
4th March 2013, 11:28 AM
I am still pretty new at all this so need all the help I can get. :)

WNCmotard
4th March 2013, 11:48 AM
Me too man, when I get the cheat sheet done, I'll post it up.

AerialMike
4th March 2013, 10:17 PM
does it show going into failsafe in the software?

No, it never does. In flight, it does not flash orange when I turn off the transmitter either. I do have the return to home radio button checked. In the air, it went from two green flashes to one green flash when I turned off the radio... I think. It was kinda hard to see. I didn't leave the ground until I had a single green flash and no red flashes. I took off in gps atti mode.

AerialMike
4th March 2013, 10:18 PM
I guess my followup question is this... which LRS works best with the Naza? I have a choice of DragonLink or EZUHF. I have a Spektrum DX8 transmitter. I hear some have had difficulty with the wiring, but I can't buy another transmitter AND an LRS system right now. Which LRS works best with Naza failsafe when the transmitter dies?

panzlflyer
4th March 2013, 10:32 PM
One of the issues I ran into when setting up for guys was with a Spektrum reciever it is possible to have 2 types of fail safes on some of the recievers.
One is position hold (this does not work with the Naza) the other is a position you can choose which does work, I think its Smartsafe or Failsafe, you choose the type by how you use the binding plug.
With the correct type Failsafe set you simply bind with your RTH switch in the correct position. I know it works with an Ar7000/8000 not sure about the smaller ones as I am Futaba/DLink these days
Dx8 does not supply power down the trainer port so you will need to supply power to either Lrs.
Probably cheaper and easier to get a Turnigy 9x with either Lrs or a used Futaba 9c.
PPM Sum does not work with Jr/Spektrum as the Naza uses Futaba channel numbering and unless you can re order it in your radio you will be stuck using normal jumpers.
Failsafe is not an issue with the Dlink its easily set, pretty sure EZUhf is the same

RandallJ
5th March 2013, 12:40 AM
? not sure I understand..
The NAZA has 2 failsafes *they fall in between ATTI and GPS I think (been a while since I looked at the control center) Do not reorder them or you wont get it to work either (someone tried this and posted)

I have 2 profiles for the DX8 (one I know works, the other have not loaded and tried yet).

do a search and there is a thread with the spm and a link to the other spm at RCG..

panzlflyer
5th March 2013, 07:58 AM
Randallj,
I am talking about where the radio reciever moves the output to when it failsafes.
As long as the slider in the software moves to either of the Failsafe positions it will work, ive setup a dozen of them.
Ppm Sum is all channels down one wire, which the Spektrum system cannot do.
Jr/Spektrum have different channel ordering for Ail/Elev/Throttle and Naza if using ppm sum expects a Futaba order.
The post you linked to on the other site mentions the Failsafe as only working with some spektrum recievers about halfway down.

RandallJ
5th March 2013, 09:50 AM
Guess I am lost.. do not understand the radio systems well enough yet.. I was unaware that there were 2 types of fail-safes even.. back to the manuals... just when I start seeing light..

Zeeflyboy
5th March 2013, 03:05 PM
Randall, your DX8 only has the one kind of failsafe - don't worry about it ;)

Some systems have different types of failsafe...

The ones I'm aware of:

- hold position; channels will hold the value last seen before radio loss.
- single channel failsafe position; one channel only will go to the previously set failsafe position. The rest will either hold position or go to neutral.
- failsafe position; the one most people are aware of these days... All channels will move to the previously set failsafe positions upon radio loss.

panzlflyer
5th March 2013, 03:18 PM
The failsafe position in a Spektrum system is determined by the reciever at bind, this is why the Naza will not go into failsafe.
That is because a reciever that is either Bound for Smart safe or does not have the other failsafe just drives the reciever output to neutral and throttle to idle on losing contact.
What you want on the Naza is the reciever to move the RTH channel to a pre determined position to tell it its in Failsafe.

The 2 types below are applicable JR/Spektrum
Found on newer Ar7000/8000s etc

Smartsafe: If the bind plug is left in position throughout the process (Flight Ready Bind above), the system will be set for Smart Safe. If signal is lost, only the throttle channel will go to a preset position.

Failsafe: If the bind plug is removed before the TX is turned on and bound, the system will use FailSafe settings. In this mode, if signal is lost all channels will go to their preprogrammed positions ( This is what you want from your reciever for a Naza)

NOT a function of the DX8 but the reciever.

Futaba the failsafe is set in the radio and updated to the reciever.

AerialMike
5th March 2013, 07:15 PM
I have the AR500 receiver; it has only one failsafe mode, which is "throttle goes to bind position, all other channels off." The cheapest Spektrum receiver I could find that supports an "all channels go to their positions at bind" is $90. I'm not going to pay half the cost of an LRS for a 2.4GHz receiver just to get the failsafe to work.... I'll just go for the LRS. :-)

Oh, I think hobbyking sells an Orange receiver with "all channels to go their bind-time positions" for $20 or so, but... I'm not willing to risk the quad with a $20 receiver. :-)

The disappointing thing is that on page 22 of the Naza manual it states that the Naza will go in to failsafe if any of the channels go dead... but this must be an error.

panzlflyer
5th March 2013, 07:23 PM
That is the trouble, the channels dont go dead on the Spekkie recievers they are holding a neutral position, so I guess the Naza sees it still alive..
If you are going to fly any distance at all and use a vtx other than 5.8 you are better off going uhf imo.
My buddy swore he wasnt gong to fly far enough to worry about 2.4 control...........2 weeks later after using goggles he is at its limit bugging me about LRS!

RandallJ
6th March 2013, 01:49 AM
now I am really confused.. lol.. I do know if I turn off my radio, the NAZA software shows the system going in to "failsafe" and that triggers the "RTH" Also if I throw the gear switch, it overides any other mode and goes to failsafe and RTH again..

I have a Turnigy 9X with LRS to set up on it and now I am second guessing that move.. Futaba 9C might be in my future yet.. :)

panzlflyer
6th March 2013, 09:08 AM
RandalJ
Then yours is working just fine.

RandallJ
6th March 2013, 10:29 AM
RandalJ
Then yours is working just fine. and I am in fear of fouling it up because I dont really understand how it works all that well... Got handed a radio and told, "here is what you need" and off I went on my merry way...

WNCmotard
6th March 2013, 10:34 AM
I'm with you Randall. I consider myself very tech savvy, hell I make a living at it, and I feel like figuring out all the programming (mainly radio setup due to an older radio) for the flight modes and such is just crazy. And I thought single rotor flybarless systems were complicated to get setup properly.

RandallJ
6th March 2013, 10:50 AM
I'm with you Randall. I consider myself very tech savvy, hell I make a living at it, and I feel like figuring out all the programming (mainly radio setup due to an older radio) for the flight modes and such is just crazy. And I thought single rotor flybarless systems were complicated to get setup properly.
The learning curve on this stuff is pretty steep.. First you got the planes, and you may have to build it. Then you gotta power it and control it.. (not that there are more than a couple options and reasons for each there). Then you gotta fly it.. (hell the guy down the road made it look easy, how tough could it be really?)

Then the avionics.. in some respects, more complicated than what was in our full size plane.. heck, we never had a RTH, loiter or any of the fancy auto control stuff. Wing leveler, basic VOR autopilot.. whoopy..

And then we add the telemetry with FPV... eegads.. just how much stuff can you learn in a month or two... Getting around Barber on the Busa was easier..

I am going to go build a "EggBot (http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/workshop/productnews/egg-bot.html?sp_rid=Mzk3OTU3MDYwNzUS1&sp_mid=4772188)"

Zeeflyboy
6th March 2013, 11:10 AM
If its any consolation Randall, if you get something like the EzUHF it only has one type of failsafe - all channels to their preset condition. Nothing to get confused about lol.

What radio you use, and what any of its failsafe settings are (speaking futaba style failsafe menu here) is irrelevant when it comes to the failsafe condition of the LRS system... That's something important to remember/understand as it popped up here recently.

Didn't know that some spekky rx's had both types of failsafe - learn something new everyday!

WNCmotard
6th March 2013, 11:27 AM
@Randall - totally agree, hustling the bike around is easier. Maybe because it's second nature at this point though. That eggbot is pretty cool!

Luckily, my failsafe setup on the radio part was super easy, just put everything where I want it set, and push one button on the RX, done.

panzlflyer
6th March 2013, 06:15 PM
I found out about Spektrum failsafe/Naza the hard way! Guy asked me to set his Dx8 combo up, "piece of cake" I think, 2hrs later finally figured it out! I used to fly Spektrum for a while when Futaba did not have 2.4 but had forgotten the pesky failsafe issues.
I fly Futaba 2.4 and Lrs, Dragonlink and EzUhf are really easy to set failsafe.
You all will get there in the end, if there was nothing to learn it would be boring.

AerialMike
6th March 2013, 07:49 PM
Well, I ordered an EZUHF setup from a couple of places today (nobody had it all in stock), so I'm on my way, I hope! My next concern is flaky trainer port action on the DX8. Not sure I want to open it up and solder to the TX module inputs, but I suppose I can if I have to. I like the jack/plug idea, but I can never seem to source the matching jack/plug.

WU5C
7th March 2013, 12:39 AM
If anyone is interested, I have the S-Buss set up for the T8FG with a flight timer. My fail safe works every time with this program...

WNCmotard
9th March 2013, 05:11 PM
Just wanted to drop in and thank everyone for all the help. Had my FPV maiden today, and did a RTH test and it worked flawlessly. So freaking cool also!!

EDIT: I did not shut the radio off, I simply have fail safe assigned to a switch, just in case it went wonky.

5h1f7y
9th March 2013, 06:11 PM
Do it again and flick the switch :p

The on/off one I mean.

WNCmotard
9th March 2013, 06:55 PM
Do it again and flick the switch :p

The on/off one I mean.

But, but, it's scary! LOL Yeah, I suppose that's the only true way to know.

RandallJ
9th March 2013, 06:57 PM
You had to be there when my went RTH the first time... no idea what was going on.. looked like Forrest gump with his first hooker..

5h1f7y
9th March 2013, 07:17 PM
I had my mate under the goggle's as I hadn't flown FPV yet. Flew it to the other side of the oval and then RTH switch. I didn't know what it was doing so he was relaying...."ah yeah it's starting to go up, ohhh turning around, oh Shiz it's cranking" haha so cool.

Yeah maybe not flick the BIG switch, I mean the ultimate goal is to not go there if at all possible, and if the RTH switch works for complete video drop outs then that's really what your after in our game.

I have just rebuilt mine and have more patience this time around so I've been bench testing a lot of stuff. The naza most certainly changes to failsafe made when it on the bench and I cut the transmitter power. So that's comforting.

WNCmotard
9th March 2013, 07:34 PM
You had to be there when my went RTH the first time... no idea what was going on.. looked like Forrest gump with his first hooker..

^^LMAO, now that's funny.

Yeah, I've tested that it goes into failsafe when I power the radio down on the bench, and failsafe works on the toggle switch, so presumably it will work. Maybe someday my FPV nuts will drop and I'll flip the switch for reals. LOL

squishy
9th March 2013, 08:49 PM
You're not a real naza pilot till you turn off your TX in flight, chicken shit!!

Metalbender
9th March 2013, 08:53 PM
You're not a real naza pilot till you turn off your TX in flight, chicken shit!!

Ha Ha Ha!! I'm still a chicken shit too...

WNCmotard
10th March 2013, 12:46 AM
^^LMAO

CaliDave
10th March 2013, 01:37 AM
Weird... I thought I posted these videos I did here on the Naza GPS failsafe setup and RTH testing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E12yxKcE9wE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=novkrl7M4lk

RUSH2112
10th March 2013, 01:41 AM
I would not turn my radio off for any reason, not unless somebody had a gun to my head. Not because I don't believe the tech won't work, but because I believe in gremlins... and my own ability to forget obvious things that would prevent it from working.

If I were a real pilot, the last thing on my pre-flight checklist would be to have somebody else redo my pre-flight checklist. Haha. The radio stays on! I'm not chicken, I'm more like the cowardly lion from Oz. It's more pathetic than a plain old chicken.

Metalbender
10th March 2013, 07:54 AM
Great videos. Very informative.

RandallJ
10th March 2013, 02:55 PM
is it me or do the bearings in that quad sound awful?

AerialMike
10th March 2013, 09:36 PM
I know it's not a favorite combination, but the DX8 is what I have at the moment, so I've been working with it and thought I'd let folks know how I'm making out. Maybe someday I'll be done buying more important system components and can get a futaba transmitter. But, not right now.

After some finagling, I have things working pretty well, I think! I have my flight mode switch mapped to the gear channel, which is plugged in to the U port on the Naza. I was able to adjust the Gear channel throws such that the three positions map to Manual, Atti, and GPS Atti solidly. I have a mix set up for Aux 1 (flaps/gyro) such that no matter what the position of the flight mode switch, moving Aux 1 out of the center position (up OR down) triggers failsafe. Perfect!

I was able to set the failsafe of the EZUHF without issue. If I unplug the DX8 from the EZUHF but leave the EZUHF powered, the receiver goes in to failsafe and so does the Naza. If I unplug the EZUHF transmitter from the battery, the receiver goes in to failsafe, and so does the Naza... Perfect! Couldn't ask for anything else.

I have heard about the potential issues with the trainer port on the Spektrum radios, both with possibly low signal level and possibly glitchy output from the connector. I have experienced neither of these issues so far. While the photoplug interface makes me a little nervous, the failsafe looks like it's working well enough that I am not going to worry about it in the short term.

The ONLY concern I have is that the "Frame Period Delta" figure is quite high, 15 to 20 us in the few tests I did. I was unable to find any documentation on what this figure means or why it may be an issue. It looked like there might have been some explanatory text in the GUI, but it was cut off in the middle of an otherwise readable sentence.

I'm running the 1.29 firmware.

a468bu
10th March 2013, 11:55 PM
Final Solution: I found a solution here (http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?3618-UPDATE-Toilet-bowl-in-NZ-after-Firmware-5.06-release/page2) (Thank you 139 jockey!) In short, the GPS Unit heading position should be rotated ~35 clockwise from the heading position of the Naza FC. This will stop the "Toilet Bowl" effect. This solution was posted in relation to the TB effect showing up after a firmware upgrade to the WKM. Apparently the NAZA inherited it. In anycase I just made a rough adjustment and immediately the toilet bowl effect vanished. It needs a bit of fine tuning as the quad now very slowly slides around a two foot box while maintaining altitude. I am going to consider this a fix.

- BacklashRC

I am experiencing the towel bowl effect, when in Gps position hold. I am going to try and rotate the Gps.

After turning the compass I suppose you recalibrate it correct?

CaliDave
11th March 2013, 12:14 AM
is it me or do the bearings in that quad sound awful?

You talking about my quad? Nobody talks about my quads bearings! Even if you have the most bad add garage full of bad ass cars! Never talk about my quads bearings!

Kidding of course. :P I bought 6 of those NTM motors just cause I knew they were pretty cheap... But after swapping a few out its flying nice! :)

5h1f7y
11th March 2013, 03:24 AM
Imao next he'll be asking for photo's of your battery bay.

Yes make sure you recalibrate every time you make a change. Anything you move on the quad calls for a recalibrate.

WNCmotard
11th March 2013, 09:30 PM
Imao next he'll be asking for photo's of your battery bay.

Yes make sure you recalibrate every time you make a change. Anything you move on the quad calls for a recalibrate.

As in doing the dance, or changing the offset in the software?

EDIT: NM, that's a dumb question, obviously it's the dance unless you move the GPS unit.

RandallJ
11th March 2013, 10:00 PM
I am experiencing the towel bowl effect, when in Gps position hold. I am going to try and rotate the Gps.

After turning the compass I suppose you recalibrate it correct?
I think this remedy has direct relation to where you are on the globe... NZ and the USA are pretty different in geographical position to north heading.. *(assuming you are stateside). Mine works fine at zero degrees correction..

5h1f7y
11th March 2013, 11:58 PM
Really? Shouldn't it just know where north is once it locks?
Toilet bowl effect is most common with bent motor shafts isn't it?

Zeeflyboy
12th March 2013, 12:55 AM
It doesn't know where true north is, only magnetic north. If DJI were on the ball they could have easily built in automatic declination adjustment using a compressed database (since the Naza knows where it is anyway it'd simply need to look up the areas declination in its database, job done).

The GPS course however works on true north... The difference between the two is declination. Sometimes people find it necessary to adjust for declination in order to get rid of toilet bowl effect.

panzlflyer
12th March 2013, 06:51 PM
I posted this on another forum but was ignored..............Hold a real magnetic compass next to a motor an see it swing, same happens to the compass on the Naza imo.
Here in NC all 6 Ive setup do not have the TB effect.

WNCmotard
13th March 2013, 12:55 PM
Western NC here, no TBE on mine so far with the GPS pointed straight forward as instructed.

JohnVH
15th March 2013, 10:12 PM
just set mine up today, it drifts in a 3-4' circle, TBE? gps straight ahead

AerialMike
15th March 2013, 10:28 PM
I have found that when my quad flies straight with forward stick, there is no TBE. When it doesn't, there is some TBE. I suspect the misalignment causes the TBE. Variations in motors, escs, and props may cause the misalignment between what the naza commands as 'straight' vs. what IS straight. Still puzzling this through, though.

panzlflyer
16th March 2013, 09:30 AM
just set mine up today, it drifts in a 3-4' circle, TBE? gps straight ahead
Did you wait till it had Gps lock? 1.2 fpv gear usually messes up the lock and it will drift without a good fix which can take a while if you have a tx going.

RandallJ
16th March 2013, 05:59 PM
Did you wait till it had Gps lock? 1.2 fpv gear usually messes up the lock and it will drift without a good fix which can take a while if you have a tx going.
great, my FPV on the quad with NAZA is 1.280..

is it the entire spectrum (1050/1280) ?

panzlflyer
16th March 2013, 06:10 PM
As you notice the Dji Gps doesnt have any filtering on the cable so if you have issues try a ferrite ring/clip on.Keep it as far away as possible from the Vtx.
Also just be patient until it gets a lock (Solid Green).
Try turning on the quad 1st and then vtx after a lock.
The other alternative is to put a filter on the Vtx.
Its not just the Dji gps, they all have a little difficulty with noise, just depends on the seperation which is tough on a quad type vehicle.
I usually just put up with it and eventually it will get the sats on a quad, On my Zephyr/planes its not an issue as the gps is on the opposite wing.
My buddy has been having issues and moving the Gps 3 inches away made a difference.

RandallJ
16th March 2013, 06:12 PM
I do have a lowpass on the tx.. I also have as much separation as physically possible..

JohnVH
16th March 2013, 07:37 PM

no fpv gear on yet, just dialing in one thing at a time. Ill be bummed if 1.3 affects it, as thats what I run.

Metalbender
16th March 2013, 07:51 PM
no fpv gear on yet, just dialing in one thing at a time. Ill be bummed if 1.3 affects it, as thats what I run.

I fly mine with the 1280 and the 1258 and have not had any problems.

panzlflyer
16th March 2013, 08:00 PM
Out of curiosity what vtx are you using?? Im thinking some of it could be the output power of the vtx.
Im only using 300mw but my buddy is using 1000mw.
As is the case with all fpv no 2 users seem to have the same experience even on the same frame.
I know my GoPro2 seems to knock down my gps slightly but it recovers in a few seconds.

JohnVH
16th March 2013, 08:09 PM
messing around again, grabbed the gps and started twisting it, got it to settle down pretty good by turning it counter clockwise a little, its windy out, but pretty much stayed where I wanted it to, put it into failsafe rth, not sure what it was doing with that one, have to try that in a field with more space.

Metalbender
16th March 2013, 08:21 PM
Im using the RMRC 800mw video tx. I also have a 400mw that I will use when my friend and I fly together. I have them on the QAV500 with a gopro and a pixim seawolf and the telefly osd and a second gps module for thr myflydreams antenna tracker.

5h1f7y
16th March 2013, 09:49 PM
I hit failsafe yesterday to show some mates, when I flicked it off I had normal solid green flash for GPS but couldn't control it at all. In the end I caught it and waited for it to shutdown.

Firebug24k
17th March 2013, 12:48 PM
Happy St. Patrick's day! After getting a few PMs on the OSD I'm developing, I figured it wasn't too off topic to post a link in here. I've built an OSD/data link (can also send info to a laptop) that displays a bunch of information from the Naza, so you don't need a separate GPS and a bunch of external equipment.

The main thread is over at RCGroups (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1841246), but in summary, you can do:

Flight mode, GPS lat/long, artificial horizon, speed, altitude, distance to home, direction to home, voltage/current (with external sensor), and a few other cool things. It should be available by the end of March. It speaks MAVLink (http://qgroundcontrol.org/mavlink/start), so it can be interfaced with anything that can read MAVLink packets.

panzlflyer
17th March 2013, 01:13 PM
Switch it back to normal to regain control.

BacklashRC
17th March 2013, 11:50 PM
Happy St. Patrick's day! After getting a few PMs on the OSD I'm developing, I figured it wasn't too off topic to post a link in here. I've built an OSD/data link (can also send info to a laptop) that displays a bunch of information from the Naza, so you don't need a separate GPS and a bunch of external equipment.

The main thread is over at RCGroups (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1841246), but in summary, you can do:

Flight mode, GPS lat/long, artificial horizon, speed, altitude, distance to home, direction to home, voltage/current (with external sensor), and a few other cool things. It should be available by the end of March. It speaks MAVLink (http://qgroundcontrol.org/mavlink/start), so it can be interfaced with anything that can read MAVLink packets.

Fantastic work! It is good to see someone developing for DJI products. (Especially when they won't address the lack of OSD for the Naza issue.)

WingNut
25th March 2013, 01:26 PM
Help please! I have 2 questions I've also asked in the QAV-400 thread that are Naza related. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
1. My Naza M LED flashes red indicating what I believe is low voltage after about 3 min of hover. I'm running NannoTech 4S 3300. First level voltage protection should be at 14.7v under load. Unloaded I'm seeing 15.4 every time and the battery is taking 1300mah to recharge. I have calibrated the voltage monitor in setup assistant.
2. About every other power-up my aileron channel is significantly left of center. Cycling power off then on fixes it but I'm curious why it keeps happening. I have calibrated the tx but whenever I plug into the setup assistant it is left of center again.
Thanks again in advance...

QAV-400
Tim's recommended Tiger motors and 18amp escs
Naza M (no GPS)
100mW immersion video Tx run through Range Video linear filter/voltage regulator at 12v
JR X9303 2.4 tx with JR 8 ch dsm2 RX (8201 I think)
NanoTech 4S 3300
RMRC 520 tvl 5v cam and a Hero 3

Metalbender
7th April 2013, 05:04 PM
I'm having a problem with my NAZA on my QAV500. Maybe some one can offer a solution. When I am flying in manual mode my qaud wants to lift the front up if I release the forward flight control. It will not continue to fly in a forward direction. It almost acts like its trying to stop the forward movement. There are times while in forward flight, in manual mode, that it will fight the forward flight and I have to give more forward stick to keep moving forward. It fly great in every other mode, assist, GPS, heading lock, home lock and return to launch. The cg is perfect and the dimensions for the GPS placement are good. I have tried adjusting the gain for the pitch up and down, they are at p=170, r=140, y=140, v=150 and 150 for both atti, with no change. I tried moving the GPS module to a different place with no improvement. I did do the calibration for the compass and for the sticks. I'm at a loss and do not know what to try next short of putting NAZA on another frame and seeing if it responds the same way. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

QAV500
NAZA
NX4008 motors
DJI 30 opto speed controls
10x4.7 props
Turnigy 2650Mah 4cell 25C packs
RMRC 1258Mhz video tx and rx
MyFlyDream Antenna Tracker

panzlflyer
7th April 2013, 07:07 PM
Are you sure its in Manual? Sound like Att mode is on and that will try and fight you.
Gps does not have anything to do with Manual as far as I know. Light on the VU should be off in manual mode.
As far as the voltage in the above post I found the voltage monitor to be unreliable and lowered mine to its lowest setting and keep an eye on the time flown.

Metalbender
7th April 2013, 07:26 PM
Im absolutely sure it's in manual mode. I've had this problem since I move to the QAV500 frame. I figure I have done some thing wrong as it was fine on the home made quad it was on.

panzlflyer
7th April 2013, 07:58 PM
Could it be that its not a true X? Only other thing I can think of would be cg, it does have an effect, even if the unit corrects for most of it, moving the weight forward may help.

5h1f7y
7th April 2013, 08:02 PM
When you say it doesn't fly forward, are
You saying it does act like its in atti and snaps back or are you saying it drifts back over a certain period of time. If its the later try lowering your gains and see it that holds its attitude for longer.

smoothvirus
7th April 2013, 08:38 PM
I am new Naza GPS pilot as well, have it installed on a DJI Flame Wheel F450 frame. Flew my first FPV flights yesterday and had a great time, all went perfectly. Today it was much windier but in the evening I decided to give it a shot for one flight. Winds were at 10 mph gusting to 17. I took off an immediately found I had a tough time making any headway into the wind. At the same time my camera started to point down, which was odd because I don't have pan and tilt. I then realized that the camera was loose in its mount! I watched as it slowly tilted until it was pointing straight down. I hit the switch to activate failsafe, and it turned around, flew back, and landed barely a foot from where I had taken off. Whew! Failsafe saved the day. I had tested it successfully yesterday but this was the first time I actually needed it!

Metalbender
7th April 2013, 09:45 PM
Its more like it snaps back as if it was in att mode but it will continue untill its at almost a 45 degree angle at which point I will stop it. Yes it does kinda climb over time as I fly forward. It looks like it would flip over backwards if I let it. If i get moving in forward flight in manual mode and let go of the controls it will it will not continue to fly forward, it will rare up. I have tried the gain all the way down to 100 and up to 180 with no change. Its really strange. It acts as if it is using the att mode but its not. I have several other controlers and have never had on act like this. I think Im going to move it to another frame and see what it does.

FPVsam
13th April 2013, 05:47 AM
Hey guys, quick question here.

What's the fastest way to regain stickcontrol when naza enters RTH?

a468bu
13th April 2013, 07:20 AM

Switch to manual

AerialMike
14th April 2013, 11:32 AM

I just flick the flight mode switch to manual and right back to gps atti as fast as I can. No need to sit in manual for any length of time.

FPVsam
14th April 2013, 04:01 PM
Ok thanks guys, that's what I thought! :)

rwijnhov
14th April 2013, 05:02 PM
You can just switch to ati no need for manual.

99blackss
17th April 2013, 11:27 PM
Ok here's an odd one.. Quad (discovery) flies perfect. It has been updated to the latests naza /w GPS software and has been balanced. My only nodes I have configured are GPS, ATT, and rth as I haven't setup a mix for manual yet. When in any of these modes the craft flies and behaves as it should as long as I have had good satellite lock.

My issue that I have been scratching my head on are when I switch from ATt to GPS about 3-4 out of ten times I switch modes something really weird happens. Elevator will switch to aileron and aileron to elevator in other words when this happens if I push forward or backwards on the right stick the craft will go left and right while moving right stick left and right will cause the craft to move forward and backwards...

To fix this I have to change between ATT and GPS and vice versa and it finally in unconfuses itself and starts behaving correctly again.. Now that I know what is happening and how to get out of that funky state I'm ok but when that first started happening it was a little disheartening when flying fpv away from me behind trees and video signal started going eeek. Now I just want to stop it from happening.

Any thought or anyone else seen this before? Other than this everything works even failsafe.Thanks!

5h1f7y
18th April 2013, 12:14 AM
Your switching into course lock by the sounds of it. The 3-4 times out of ten is when your facing sideways to your course lock / home lock and therefore the controls switch to forward is forward relative to the course lock, if your facing 90 degrees off that course then forward will be alerion and alerion will be forward. Are you sure it switches to atti, just check your LED when you change.

99blackss
18th April 2013, 11:26 PM
Your switching into course lock by the sounds of it. The 3-4 times out of ten is when your facing sideways to your course lock / home lock and therefore the controls switch to forward is forward relative to the course lock, if your facing 90 degrees off that course then forward will be alerion and alerion will be forward. Are you sure it switches to atti, just check your LED when you change.

You hit the nail on the head. I had completely forgotten I had configured that (its turned off now in the SW) Thanks!

Dago
6th August 2013, 12:18 PM
I have problem with my friends naza lite assistant, i have installed all drivers and everything but after i start assistant it crashes "assistant.exe stopped working". We have tried to open software in three different computers and every computer have same problem.
My Naza-m with V2 software is working fine.

Dago
8th August 2013, 02:46 PM
Does anyone have solution to my problem??

I have problem with my friends naza lite assistant, i have installed all drivers and everything but after i start assistant it crashes "assistant.exe stopped working". We have tried to open software in three different computers and every computer have same problem.
My Naza-m with V2 software is working fine.