PDA

View Full Version : tricopter kit... No ARF version?

Wearyman
24th May 2012, 12:07 PM
I really love the new tricopter kit, and have been wanting to build one. but there are so many choices surrounding parts and build options I've been holding off due to sheer options overwhelm.

I looked at the RTF option, but 800 bucks just to have someone else slap it all together is way more than I could even consider affording. Besides, half the fun is building the thing.

I really wish you guys would offer an ARF version. All the recommended parts all ready to be assembled. Essentially, THIS:

Pro Tricopter Delrin Kit $94.99 1 $94.99
NX-4008 Motors $35.99 3 $107.97
18A ESC $15.99 3 $47.97
CCW 10x4.7 APC Props $2.93 2 $5.86
CW 10x4.7 Pusher APC Props $4.39 1 $4.39
GoPro Vibration Pad $15.99 1 $15.99
KK Board $15.00 1 $15.00
Servo $35.00 1 $35.00
10mm Poplar Wood Booms $1.75 3 $5.25
Wiring, Zip Ties, XT-60 Pigtail,
Gold Connectors,
Motor Mounting Hardware, etc. $25.00 1 $25.00
Bill-of-Materials Sub-Total $357.97(That's from the RTF system you offer, minus the assembly costs)

All in a box and ready to be assembled/programmed. Maybe offer a few motor/ESC options, but otherwise a standard kit that would be guaranteed to work as long as the build directions are followed.

I would buy that RIGHT NOW if it was available.

londonguy
24th May 2012, 12:18 PM
I would buy that RIGHT NOW if it was available.

My first bet is that if he did, it would be way more than $357.97. Maybe add another $100 if not $150.

My second bet is that it's too much hassle for Tim to stock all of those parts and have them shipped along with his kits. His kits are already in high demand are going out of stock all the time. And if he did have the time to keep all those bits in stock, people would complain about him adding on a premium for the effort of doing so.

Flying Monkey
24th May 2012, 12:36 PM
Looks like you've got a list of what you want, why not just order it and put it together?

Wearyman
24th May 2012, 12:36 PM
My first bet is that if he did, it would be way more than $357.97. Maybe add another $100 if not $150.

My second bet is that it's too much hassle for Tim to stock all of those parts and have them shipped along with his kits. His kits are already in high demand are going out of stock all the time. And if he did have the time to keep all those bits in stock, people would complain about him adding on a premium for the effort of doing so.

Regarding the costs, I'm pretty sure all those parts are listed at full retail price. So it's the same amount if we buy all the parts separately or all together, and he makes the same profit. But even if there was a $100 sourcing fee it would STILL be a good deal.. Alternately, providing guidelines for his retailers to stock their own ARF kits would be good too. Then Tim from RMRC (who sells the existing $94.00 kits) could just put all the parts together and sell them as a unit.

I'm betting he'd sell out even faster as he would have just lowered the barrier to entry for alot of prospective buyers like me.

Jahunt
24th May 2012, 01:34 PM
Have of the learning curve is building yourself!

Wearyman
24th May 2012, 01:52 PM
Looks like you've got a list of what you want, why not just order it and put it together?

It's the convenience issue. Not every retailer carries those specific parts, so you have to have multiple orders in with multiple retailers and multiple tracking, and if things are broken, multiple return points... It's just too much for ONE craft for a person unfamiliar with it. It's what's kept me from getting a multi-rotor to begin with. In NO CASE have I been able to get everything I need from one place and have done with it. I don't even know who carries some of those parts, NOR do I have the experience in the multi-rotor field to be able to discern what an appropriate alternate part would be, should my favorite online outlet not carry a specific part.

I like the idea of building the Tri-copter, (and, of course, of flying it) just not the idea of hunting down all the parts from multiple locations around the world.

Wearyman
24th May 2012, 01:55 PM
Have of the learning curve is building yourself!

I agree. I WANT to build it. I just would like to be able to buy all the parts in one location, with one purchase.

timnilson
24th May 2012, 02:30 PM
Wearyman -- I often thought about offering a kit with all the build parts. I would not call it an ARF though as you are just getting parts and would have to do all the building. An ARF is typically an easy assembly of pre-made components. The reason I have not done it to date is that it's tricky to make sure you have all the many parts in stock to build one of these. Sourcing all the gear is a substantial cost of the RTF 'sourcing/build' fee. The sourcing takes usually longer than the building. I am at a place now where I finally have a decent amount of stock on the things that make up the kit -- I even have some of the tricopter kits in stock for once ;)

Let me consider this again. It's not that I would not want to do it, it's just prioritizing the different projects I am working on.

xtrmtrk
24th May 2012, 02:57 PM
When the QAV500 comes out, it'd be great to have a complete kit for that too.

I hate picking out and buying motors and ESCs, it's just way too hard to know what you're buying. And then there are the delivery times from China...

Wearyman
24th May 2012, 03:09 PM
Wearyman -- I often thought about offering a kit with all the build parts. I would not call it an ARF though as you are just getting parts and would have to do all the building. An ARF is typically an easy assembly of pre-made components. The reason I have not done it to date is that it's tricky to make sure you have all the many parts in stock to build one of these. Sourcing all the gear is a substantial cost of the RTF 'sourcing/build' fee. The sourcing takes usually longer than the building. I am at a place now where I finally have a decent amount of stock on the things that make up the kit -- I even have some of the tricopter kits in stock for once ;)

Let me consider this again. It's not that I would not want to do it, it's just prioritizing the different projects I am working on.

Thanks for the consideration.

I've really been wanting to get a multi-rotor simply because there isn't anywhere around here that's convenient to fly a fixed-wing from. With a Tri or quad I could fly from my back yard. But the complexity of sourcing everything and making sure I get parts that are compatible with each other is so daunting I just haven't wanted to put the effort into it. Hopefully I will be able to get a full kit from you in the near future.

In the meantime I'll keep ground-pounding it with my FPV truck. (Just bought a GoPro for it today, can't wait to mount that baby up and make some speed run footage!)

timnilson
24th May 2012, 11:44 PM
When the QAV500 comes out, it'd be great to have a complete kit for that too.

I hate picking out and buying motors and ESCs, it's just way too hard to know what you're buying. And then there are the delivery times from China...

For the QAV500 it may actually be a bit easier to do this.

timnilson
24th May 2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the consideration.

I've really been wanting to get a multi-rotor simply because there isn't anywhere around here that's convenient to fly a fixed-wing from. With a Tri or quad I could fly from my back yard. But the complexity of sourcing everything and making sure I get parts that are compatible with each other is so daunting I just haven't wanted to put the effort into it. Hopefully I will be able to get a full kit from you in the near future.

In the meantime I'll keep ground-pounding it with my FPV truck. (Just bought a GoPro for it today, can't wait to mount that baby up and make some speed run footage!)

If you ever have a question on what gear is compatible for the build, the Pro Tricopter Thread has a lot of users that answer questions in minutes. The thread is great.... it completely runs itself and is an incredible resource. Also, the key things to get are Motors, ESCs, an FC, and Props as well as bullet connectors and XT60 power connectors (if you use XT60). I sell all these parts and have them in stock at GetFPV.com.
Motors: 4008
ESC: Plush 18amp ESC
FC: KK Board (get a USB loader as well, but I'm out of stock on these at the moment)
PROPS: APC 10x47 (get all SF to keep it simple -- and I would get lots... at least 10, you'll need them)
Bullet connectors
XT-60 connectors

With this list you are 90+% there. You only need a Hitec servo, some 3/8" wood booms or 10mm if you can find them, and some silicon cable. Double check the list on fpvmanuals.com... I'm sure I am forgetting something.