PDA

View Full Version : Long distance FPV Crawler

Bluestreak
16th May 2012, 08:32 PM
OK, so it's about time I stopped lurking and gave some details on my setup.

Vehicle is a HSP 1/8 scale crawler
controlled via Dragonlink (mounted on my roof) /Turnigy 9x (converted to ER9X) and Compufly (Games wheel control)

FPV gear:
Gopro
Standard omni on vehicle, Yagi on my roof

Got a new personal distance record of 1km the other day which I was fairly pleased about - especially considering my area is very non-fpv friendly due to lots of hills/trees.

Just put up a video on youtube of a trip that was just going to be a short test around my block that turned into a much longer trip ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s13XudfZ11Q

SENTRY
16th May 2012, 08:35 PM
Welcome to the Lab! :) Post some pics of this mosheen.

Bluestreak
16th May 2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks. Good point - picture is worth a thousand words ;)

Bluestreak
17th May 2012, 09:46 PM
some more pics of my setup and a crappy video of the live feed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QdPnFmbw40

volto
17th May 2012, 11:15 PM
Nice! Do you have the tilt servo on a gyro? Seems like it's compensating for the tilt wobble a bit. Very cool setup, I have to do this some day.

airbagit13
18th May 2012, 12:25 AM
HEY SERIOUSLY.... THAT WAS GOD DAMN AWESOME. Welcome to the lab, post more pictures for sure!

Also sweet for posting the live feed.

Bluestreak
18th May 2012, 02:39 AM
Cheers,
Yes - using a cheap titan Gyro I got off ebay (for about $15 I think). Well worth it, you need an extra channel to adjust the gain on it though.

airbagit13
18th May 2012, 02:00 PM
Oh wow, I just saw the second posting of photos. Had no idea you were using a steering wheel and pedals. Wow wow awesome!

Vitamin J
18th May 2012, 02:18 PM
I love the roof mounted antennas. I can definitely see why you need a comfy chair, that was quite an adventure!

Bluestreak
27th May 2012, 06:53 PM
Tested the booster I got for the Dragonlink the other day. Works amazingly! :D I've put a momentary switch on the back of my transmitter that doubles the power when I flick it. Good way to get out of trouble.
Managed 1.5kms until I couldn't get past the logs over the track. Keen to see how far I can get this thing:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlzO9hCKUd8

MatCat
27th May 2012, 08:36 PM
Ooo, I am not a big fan of RC cars but I like this :P

WildWill
27th May 2012, 10:33 PM
Very cool stuff!

FPVsam
28th May 2012, 11:21 AM
Just amazing! I really like the fact that you're driving it with a real steering wheel inside your house :D

j45on
28th May 2012, 01:39 PM
WOW amazing distance covered there :)
How much further will it go ?

RcLab1
28th May 2012, 01:48 PM
Thats soo cool with the Steering Wheel,....

I read on another thread that a Summit-FPV truck got over 800yards
with LawMate VidTx 1.2ghz 1000mW with Stock antenna,
and a Patch antenna mounted on top of his house (also used a LawMate VidRx).

Bluestreak
28th May 2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks ;)
I'm pretty surprised at how good the video signal is standing up at long range. I think it is mainly due to the low frequency high power transmitter - similar to this: (http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/505678/211345951-528397133/2500mW-900MHz-Video-Transmitter-and-Receiver-Kit-for-CCTV-wireless-camera-system.html) and the 12db Yagi RX antenna (http://www.ebay.com/itm/900Mhz-GSM-Yagi-antenna-12-dBi-N-female-connector-/270872734173?pt=US_Directional_Network_Antennas&hash=item3f1145e9dd)
I'm pretty confident that I can get to 2km's although the bush track I take starts to go behind a hill at about the 1.7km mark so that might make it hard to do along that route.

Bluestreak
30th May 2012, 02:11 AM
Well, I was right. I had another attempt today - got around the logs (thanks to going by on my mountain bike yesterday to find another path) and after about 1700 metres I started going behind a hill and video started getting rather sketchy. Managed 1755 metres before turing around and being locked out. Had to do a rescue with my mountain bike.
I think it's going to be a struggle to get to the bottom of the hill (another 170 metres) and get to the top of the next (which would take me over 2km) but I'll try ;) Maybe if I put the antenna's up really high on poles.
Video to come...

Mechnan
30th May 2012, 04:08 AM
Get a old satellite dish make a dish feed antenna (maybe a hellical?) and try wit that.
I was wondering how you find your way back through the bushes?

Lowflyer
30th May 2012, 07:19 AM
Well done mate!
I love it. Im gonna try something like this soon to. Do you have eny footage of your downlink?

Bluestreak
30th May 2012, 06:42 PM
Yep definitely going to build build a helical Mechman - already have the cloverleaf for the vehicle. Just remembered I also have an amplifier for the video that I haven't yet tried. Also the yagi wouldn't have been pointing in the exact direction I was at so that may help a bit as well. I can always up the boost for the Dragonlink as well. So still plenty of options. I like doing this track because it is almost impossible to get lost. You just keep following the track - there are fences on either side so even if you veer off you can't get into to much trouble.
Lowflyer - yep video footage with downlink to come - hopefully my crappy recorder got most of it (ordered an FPV Japan DVR the other day so I can get better recordings).

MatCat
30th May 2012, 06:44 PM
I wonder what someone walking that path thinks when they see an RC car cruising along with a camera and funny looking antennas, with no operator to be seen :P

Bluestreak
31st May 2012, 08:05 PM
HeHe! That reminds me to put up this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn4sLy1uR7A

:p

MatCat
31st May 2012, 08:10 PM
ROFL! I am curious too, are those LED's just doing random things?

Bluestreak
31st May 2012, 09:35 PM
The leds are volt meters. The right hand one shows the voltage of my video battery. The left one alternates between vehicle control battery and Dragonlink RSSI. They only flicker in the recorded file (not in the live view I have) They aren't that easy to read in sunshine though - I just got some analogue volt meters that I will replace them with.

MatCat
31st May 2012, 09:45 PM
Analogs will look a lot cooler hehe, would be cool to have your speed too, but that is a bit tricky :P.

LongRat
2nd June 2012, 10:30 AM
Bluestreak,
this is the best land FPV I have yet seen, very nice work.
Regarding range issues, this is something I have been thinking a lot about as being in the UK we have limited power allowance and high frequency only >:(
What about installing antenna tracking on the vehicle and using a directional antenna on the video Tx? I would think this could drastically improve your video range.
I also have another question, what is the cabling like between your house-based transmitter and your roof antenna that broadcasts the signal?

Bluestreak
2nd June 2012, 09:36 PM
Hey thanks LongRat. Yeh, that's a bit of a pain - I guess you should find the highest power lowest frequency vid TX/RX you are allowed to use. Also, I think it was "Branflakes" or "Wizzard" that had success with adding an amlifier to their video RX - I got one that I haven't tried yet but that might be another way of improving the video. Definitely helps to use a directional antenna with tracking. My 12db yagi works great although I only have it fixed and pointing in the general direction I want to go (another thing to improve). I allready had CAT5E cabling running all through my house so it was easy to hook up the dragonlink module and the Video Receiver to the cabling. The cables run to a central point in my house (cupboard in the laundry) and I can patch them through to any room in the house. The dragonlink module and the video receiver are protected from the weather with Poly pipe (used for house drains).

Bluestreak
4th June 2012, 12:02 AM
Finally managed to put up the video of my 1.75km trip. Edited a fair bit out so that it didn't go for ages - Still ended up over 18 minutes though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5dKikwJblU

Bluestreak
8th June 2012, 12:18 AM
Made a pan system for my roof mounted Yagi the other day. Looking forward to testing it :p
Here's a vid i put up with more details:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTXmGfFKKek

volto
8th June 2012, 12:44 AM
Is that the same radio you are using to drive, or a separate one? If not, why not just use a servo tester instead of a separate radio?

Bluestreak
8th June 2012, 07:05 PM
Hey Volto, No it's a seperate radio to my control. Only used it because I had it sitting around doing nothing. Never even thought of a servo tester (never had one) but that is a great idea and no doublt I'll be getting one soon! ;)

j45on
9th June 2012, 05:25 PM
I tested my gws 360 servo today using a cheap hobbyking servo tester http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F14774%5F%5FHobbyKing%5FServo%5FTester.html
And it works great,but the knob is very sensitive.
it has three modes the first is controlled by the knob the second centres the servo and the third swings quite quickly left to right (I would not recommend using that mode with a big yagi :D )

philthyy
12th June 2012, 01:54 AM
Heh. I've thought about designing and building my own servo tester, with the intent of using it on a big yagi...

Bluestreak
12th June 2012, 05:07 AM
Heh. I've thought about designing and building my own servo tester, with the intent of using it on a big yagi...
I'm to lazy (and not smart enough) - I just spent a few bucks on one :)

Bluestreak
12th June 2012, 05:10 AM
Anyone want to see how a curious kangaroo re-acts to an FPV vehicle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fm-S8KGlMk

philthyy
12th June 2012, 03:09 PM
I'm not really smart enough to build one either...I just know enough to get a project somewhat rolling, then start enlisting the help of actual smart guys! LOL. I'm envisioning a manual knob servo pulse generator with a BIG ESC in it to control BIG brushed DC motors to swing a Yagi (or other heavy loads) around. I know systems like this already exist (Servocity makes some sweet stuff) but I love tinkering and learning, and building something exactly how I want it. At much less cost than purchasing an existing product, too, usually.

Bluestreak
12th June 2012, 06:14 PM
Ahh yes, I know where your coming from Philthyy. FPV is definitely a great hobby if you like tinkering/learning and building. Some stuff I would never consider buying and prefer to work out how to make it myself - other stuff I'd prefer to buy.

Bluestreak
17th June 2012, 08:23 PM
OK - here's a video of when I first installed the booster on my Dragonlink and a good demonstration of why you need a roll cage on your vehicle ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwCi5QQtEco

RcLab1
17th June 2012, 08:27 PM
thats a cool video up above.
Enjoyed it.....

riptide1
18th June 2012, 01:16 AM
hi, awesome thread here. You've inspired me to convert my Summit to a fpv rover. Where can I find info on how to add a signal booster to the dragonlink system?

Bluestreak
18th June 2012, 05:12 AM
Hey, great to hear Riptide! You have the perfect vehicle for it.
You can find all the info on the booster here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1437243&highlight=booster+flytron

j45on
18th June 2012, 03:00 PM
Great self righting in your video if I ever venture further than my back yard I will have to think about roll protection.

The only problem I can see with FPV as a hobby is that I may have to take the occasional long walk :D

Slightly off topic but I was daydreaming today about using a slow autonomous plane circling over head of your crawler or general area to relay video back to base, would enable you to go further and behind hills

Pooch
18th June 2012, 03:17 PM
Fantastic video Bluestreak! Captivating.

riptide1
23rd June 2012, 02:55 AM
I have 60 feet to cover between where the dragonlink tx goes on the roof and where I want to use compufly and a gaming wheel. How did you do your connections ...for me it's from a Futaba 9c using the rf module pins to the dragonlink 60 feet away. Should I just snip the connectors off of some cat5e and the dragonlink cable adapter and solder it up?
Hey thanks LongRat. Yeh, that's a bit of a pain - I guess you should find the highest power lowest frequency vid TX/RX you are allowed to use. Also, I think it was "Branflakes" or "Wizzard" that had success with adding an amlifier to their video RX - I got one that I haven't tried yet but that might be another way of improving the video. Definitely helps to use a directional antenna with tracking. My 12db yagi works great although I only have it fixed and pointing in the general direction I want to go (another thing to improve). I allready had CAT5E cabling running all through my house so it was easy to hook up the dragonlink module and the Video Receiver to the cabling. The cables run to a central point in my house (cupboard in the laundry) and I can patch them through to any room in the house. The dragonlink module and the video receiver are protected from the weather with Poly pipe (used for house drains).

Bluestreak
23rd June 2012, 05:49 AM
I have 60 feet to cover between where the dragonlink tx goes on the roof and where I want to use compufly and a gaming wheel. How did you do your connections ...for me it's from a Futaba 9c using the rf module pins to the dragonlink 60 feet away. Should I just snip the connectors off of some cat5e and the dragonlink cable adapter and solder it up?
I had the proper crimping tool that allowed me to put proper "RJ45" conectors on the end. No reason you couldn't cut the end of an ethernet cable and solder the wires together (just not as neat). Mine is probably a similar length - It may be worth combining the pairs in the cable so that there is less voltage drop over the cable (although I didn't). On the Dragonlink end I plugged the dragonlink plug into a suitable socket/pin rail that I had lying around and then soldered wires from this to a RJ45 Plug that was attached to the lid of the sewer pipe - that way I can always unplug the Dragonlink module and connect it directly to my transmitter directly again.
A couple of pics if that helps:

riptide1
23rd June 2012, 05:37 PM
Very unique way I'm going to use some keystone jacks and get a cheap punch down tool. I'm with you on keeping it easy to unplug. Thanks, once I collect enough stuff I'll start a build thread =)
I had the proper crimping tool that allowed me to put proper "RJ45" conectors on the end. No reason you couldn't cut the end of an ethernet cable and solder the wires together (just not as neat). Mine is probably a similar length - It may be worth combining the pairs in the cable so that there is less voltage drop over the cable (although I didn't). On the Dragonlink end I plugged the dragonlink plug into a suitable socket/pin rail that I had lying around and then soldered wires from this to a RJ45 Plug that was attached to the lid of the sewer pipe - that way I can always unplug the Dragonlink module and connect it directly to my transmitter directly again.
A couple of pics if that helps:

Bluestreak
25th June 2012, 02:48 AM
If anyone is trying to work out a pan tilt system for their gopro I've put up a video of how I did mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlAhOZ3UzZw

IBERIAN
29th June 2012, 07:03 AM
Your base station sure beats the hell out of standing on the porch and driving a car with a futaba 9c. Yeah.

Zeeflyboy
29th June 2012, 07:24 AM
Bluestreak,
this is the best land FPV I have yet seen, very nice work.
Regarding range issues, this is something I have been thinking a lot about as being in the UK we have limited power allowance and high frequency only >:(
What about installing antenna tracking on the vehicle and using a directional antenna on the video Tx? I would think this could drastically improve your video range.
I also have another question, what is the cabling like between your house-based transmitter and your roof antenna that broadcasts the signal?

H'actually I'm fairly sure you could use 1.3ghz as it is a "ground based station".... Albeit a mobile one.

In the UK 1.3ghz is illegal for aerial use, but you can transmit audio and video on that band from a ground based station afaik. Worth looking into.

Edit, yup:

"We do have a hidden Gem in the UK at this frequency however.
1394-MHz (+/- 5MHz) is a free, and un-licenced frequency up to 500mw of power up to 30 Meters above ground level.
There is not much in the way of household equipment that would interfere with, or be interfered with at this range and due to the lower frequency, it will have far superior penetration values than 2.4-GHz making it ideal for use on a Ground based FPV platform."

viper522
29th June 2012, 10:30 AM
Really impressive, good work on the setup and the driving.

j45on
29th June 2012, 01:40 PM
"We do have a hidden Gem in the UK at this frequency however.
1394-MHz (+/- 5MHz) is a free, and un-licenced frequency up to 500mw of power up to 30 Meters above ground level.
There is not much in the way of household equipment that would interfere with, or be interfered with at this range and due to the lower frequency, it will have far superior penetration values than 2.4-GHz making it ideal for use on a Ground based FPV platform."

Sorry to go a bit off topic Bluestreak
I have been looking at 1394 and the only legal/approved system I have found is this one for 1,280.45 :eek:
http://www.orponline.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=VTandRX1394S

Zeeflyboy
29th June 2012, 01:42 PM
Bargain

j45on
29th June 2012, 01:47 PM
I am tempted to save for it :rolleyes: but how much better would it be ?

viper522
29th June 2012, 02:52 PM
You might contact this eBay seller and see what he/she can do for your 1394 needs.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MobiComm/1394-MHz-TX-RX-/_i.html?_fsub=6&_sid=69239991&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Zeeflyboy
29th June 2012, 03:28 PM
There will be cheaper options I'm sure with some searching... Check if anyone on fpvuk can help you out too.

How much better? Than what, 2.4ghz? On a ground based unit I imagine substantially better!!

That crawler is awesome by the way, great machine.

Bluestreak
29th June 2012, 11:22 PM
Thanks for all the compliments guys.
Actually I am now having trouble with interference in the lower frequencies so may have to change to a higher frequency if my CP antennas don't solve it. I'll be trying the 1.2/1.3 ghz area.
J45on - I would definitey try to get into the 1394 band over the 2.4ghz. As low as you can go is heaps better for ground fpv I reckon (more range on the same power output) and also better at dealing with obstacles. That transmitter for over a grand seems like waaayyyy to much money though!
I noticed a 'Fox' brand one on Alibaba that would have to be heeeaapss cheaper I reckon. (they don't have a price though unfortunately) Would be worth sending them an enquiry:
http://hczye.en.alibaba.com/product/321771770-50392277/1394Mhz_500mW_Wireless_Audio_Video_Transceiver_Kit .html
Looks like this guy uses 1394:
youtube.com/watch?v=4HlFwl3Eyv0
You could contact him to see where he got his...

LongRat
30th June 2012, 10:27 AM
I had initially ruled out the 1.3 gear after reading on firstpersonview.co.uk that everything he had tried in that band had been poor quality and not worth the money. Maybe out is time to do more research, looking forward to your results for a start bluestreak.

j45on
30th June 2012, 06:22 PM
I had initially ruled out the 1.3 gear after reading on firstpersonview.co.uk that everything he had tried in that band had been poor quality and not worth the money. Maybe out is time to do more research, looking forward to your results for a start bluestreak.

I read that as well , it put me off a bit

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/ja2onx/ScreenShot2012-06-30at231958.jpg

I can't find the other info I had but it stated 500mw max

Bluestreak
5th July 2012, 12:27 AM
OK, Bit of an update. Have been fiddling about with setting up the crawler with night vision/different cam. The days are to short here at the moment so it's to dark to do FPV after work.
I got a zoom camera a while ago from ebay and have managed to use micro relays and remote control switches to control the zoom/focus control using 4 channels (luckily I have 12 channels!) I only had control over the zoom initially but found (especially at night) that the automatic focus would struggle a bit at times. It's pretty cool being able to zoom up to 270X!
Chucked two sets of 36 LED arrays on and went for a drive the other night. Came across this rabbit which was the perfect test for the camera ;)
Still lots of things to fix/improve on it though - Glare from the LEDS, Noise (from probably lights or camera), making the camera controls easier to manipulate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVXUMQoPyx0

viper522
5th July 2012, 09:55 AM
I could see this sort of thing helping those who are physically unable to do these sorts of hobbies enjoy a sport/hobby which would otherwise demand too much from them. A neck injury, for instance, would deprive someone the joy of rolling an off-road vehicle in difficult terrain. With R/C, you've proven it's nothing to worry about. And I think that's a remarkable aspect of R/C.

LongRat
5th July 2012, 11:43 AM
Wow, that is really cool and the zoom camera is very impressive.

j45on
5th July 2012, 04:10 PM
Looks like your camera works very well with 850nm,nice spread of light
I want a zoom camera now :rolleyes:
Looks like it could be easy to get lost in the dark

Bluestreak
5th July 2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks Guys. Yes Viper - I'm sure there are plenty of other uses you could put these things to. I had my mum stay with me last year when she had a foot operation and she was virtually wheelchair bound, couldn't drive etc... If I knew what FPV was back then it would have been a perfect thing to explore outside and hence become a bit less "cabin bound". I've also heard of one saving some soldiers lives over in afghanistan when the RC vehicle detonated some land mines!
Yes, very easy to get lost in the dark Jason! Almost happended just before the above video when during turning around I lost sight of the fence. Luckily I stumble back on to it though :) Might be wise to get an osd with GPS!

Bluestreak
15th August 2012, 11:21 PM
Bit of an update. Been a bit busy so haven't had as much time to FPV lately. I have managed to improve a fair few things though.
Have made a waterproof canopy for it and added Eagletree osd with antenna tracking which is bl@@dy awesome - can drive around at night without getting lost and it's pretty cool having live tracking on Google earth so you know exactly where you are :D
Couldn't stand the anodised orange colour so re-painted it with the army paint I have for my Landrover (it's even radar absorbant - which will help with air attacks I guess!:p)

chbla
17th August 2012, 05:31 AM
pretty nice :) makes me want to build a crawler too...

does anybody know a cheap (only to play around a bit) offroad vehicle, that I can get within the EU?
I saw people recommend the Traxxas Summit - but although pretty cool, this is more than expensive :)

HK Europe only has some smaller ones, I doubt the would do too well in e.g. grass

LongRat
17th August 2012, 05:42 AM
I think a second hand Clod Buster from Ebay would be a fun choice.

Wayno
17th August 2012, 10:49 AM
Maverick Scout or one of its variations are cheap and capable, I'm using one for an FPV project. TBH I wouldn't use a crawler if I started again, I'd use a monster truck. Faster and capable enough off road, the crawler can cope with more extreme terrain LOS but you can't take advantage of it FPV.

Bluestreak
17th August 2012, 07:43 PM
Yeh - the only disadvantage with the crawler is that it is very slow (fast walk). But for the type of environment I FPV in I don't feel like I need any extra speed. If you want to do more open tracks/roads then yeh you may want something quicker - although there is always the option of swapping the motors for lower turn units (although I have no idea what is in these as standard). I also have a much quicker Brushless Turnigy Trailblazer (Monster Truck) that my FPV 'Backpack' fits on but to be honest I hardly ever use it - it's really too fast and not as capable off road. I got it from Hobbyking because it was very cheap but they don't seem to have them anymore :(. I think it would be better with a smoother and more tractable brushed setup. I've allready locked the front and centre diffs which helps offroad. Bigger really does help - it is a much less bumpy experience and obstacles are much easier to deal with.
Here's one pretty much the same as mine available over that side of the world: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280929610616?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Bit more expensive than you can get them over here (~40% more) unfortunately. You would also have to budget for a replacement esc as the standard ones tend to die (I replaced mine with a Tekin FXR)
You really need to decided where you will be doing your FPV and select a suitable vehicle for it.

chbla
18th August 2012, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the input so far! I'm right now looking for used ones
was that link for me? cause I'm in Austria, not Australia :D

Bluestreak
18th August 2012, 02:56 AM
The item is located in UK - I was just logged into the Ozy Ebay site though.
Try this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280929610616;jsessionid=4ABE7B02E28988E0BFC1EC8A7A 09CC0C?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.ht ml%3F_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D280929610616%26_rdc%3D1
You would think that you would have more choice and be able to get stuff cheaper over there (population over that way is massive compared to little 'ol Australia!). Maybe because we are closer to China and Japan?
I found some FPV footage I recorded when I had it mounted on the "trailblazer" so I'll upload it to show you the speed difference ;)!

Bluestreak
18th August 2012, 08:35 AM
I found some FPV footage I recorded when I had it mounted on the "trailblazer" so I'll upload it to show you the speed difference ;)!

Just put up a link to the video in a different thread: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?7705-FPV-Turnigy-Trailblazer-Monster-Truck&p=132121#post132121

Bluestreak
5th December 2012, 07:18 PM
My crawler is no longer the slow walking pace slug it was.
It's now been upgraded with x2 HPI Firebolt motors which make the world of difference!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAb7CYhYH1o

RcLab1
5th December 2012, 07:24 PM
can you show pics of the new motors?....(thanks) :-)

Bluestreak
5th December 2012, 07:48 PM
My girlfriend nicked my iphone cord this morning so I can't upload them until I get it back ;)

I got them from here though: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HPI-Racing-SPRINT-2-DRIFT-2-4GHz-CAMARO-1146-FIREBOLT-15T-MOTOR-540-TYPE-NEW-/350656741056?pt=

Not very expensive ;)

RcLab1
5th December 2012, 09:55 PM
thanks for the LINK.....did you use same pinion gear....direct bolt on?.....sweet ride

Bluestreak
5th December 2012, 10:42 PM
Yeh, same pinion. Easy changeover. The original motors must be about a 50 turn so the extra speed is all down to the Firebolts being a 15 turn.

I run them in using the water technique as well. Makes them run better and last longer from what I have heard.

Canelo
17th March 2014, 03:21 AM
Time to revive an old thread, i hope!

I have a Dragonlink tx/rx an rmrc 800mw 1.3ghz vtx on a circular wireless 1.3 cp three lobe antenna going to a rmrc 1.3ghz rx w/saw filter on a crosshair. Is the Eagle eyes hard to set up for a surface vehicle?

Im really interested in going through some tunnel like obstacles at a relatively remote distance from the.starting point, , i already have my antennas mounted on my roof, but i am curious if you hooked that eagle tree antenna tracker up to the yagi on your roof??

Bluestreak
17th March 2014, 05:35 PM
It's as hard/easy as for the air ;)
If it helps I have a video on setting up the tracking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1suvZ7owQU

It does work well having the high gain tracking antenna at base (especially high up on the roof).
A tunnel is obviously a bit of a challenge but the directional antenna will help.
Let us know how you go with it or even better post up a video of your success (or failure) :)

Time to revive an old thread, i hope!

I have a Dragonlink tx/rx an rmrc 800mw 1.3ghz vtx on a circular wireless 1.3 cp three lobe antenna going to a rmrc 1.3ghz rx w/saw filter on a crosshair. Is the Eagle eyes hard to set up for a surface vehicle?

Im really interested in going through some tunnel like obstacles at a relatively remote distance from the.starting point, , i already have my antennas mounted on my roof, but i am curious if you hooked that eagle tree antenna tracker up to the yagi on your roof??

TheBender
20th March 2014, 11:18 AM
For what it is worth, on my roof setup (inspired by Bluestreak) I use a TV antenna rotator as a manual tracker which works great for ground FPV and is simple and cheap. Solidsignal sells the rotator for $60 and you can manually pan it. I put a camera on the pole, and I have a monitor at the indoor GS so I can see which direction the crosshair is pointing.

Bluestreak
20th March 2014, 06:12 PM
For what it is worth, on my roof setup (inspired by Bluestreak) I use a TV antenna rotator as a manual tracker which works great for ground FPV and is simple and cheap. Solidsignal sells the rotator for $60 and you can manually pan it. I put a camera on the pole, and I have a monitor at the indoor GS so I can see which direction the crosshair is pointing.

That's a good idea.
You could also set up a 360deg servo operated pan system and just use a servo tester to aim it - If you don't have a camera on it you can just mark the knob on the servo tester to north, east etc...

stereodreieck
18th July 2014, 12:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZwEIUFcQwE&list=UU3eQF23JnFonxo80R3U9Mqw

ElectricEvan369
18th July 2014, 02:02 PM
Those mirrors are genius!!! I'm going to need mirrors now, lots and lots of mirrors...

cytogen
11th December 2014, 03:03 AM
Got any pics of that SCX? Would love to see how you mounted the camera.

parajared
18th April 2018, 01:11 AM
Consider me inspired