Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Trappy
16th September 2012, 08:05 PM
yes

timnilson
16th September 2012, 09:35 PM
TBS COREs now in stock in the USA!

http://www.getfpv.com/team-blacksheep-core.html

http://www.getfpv.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/b/tbs-core.jpeg

shadow102
16th September 2012, 11:19 PM
Sweet ordered one thanks should be just in time for E-week at triple tree

sl4ppy
16th September 2012, 11:27 PM
yes

Thanks Trappy..

Here's another question I'm a little embarrassed to ask..

After standing back to take a look at my gorgeous solder work for the pin headers from the Rx position to mid-frame pin headers, I realized I soldered both of them on the same side of the top plate; with the pins toward the inside instead of inside at mid-frame and outside at the rear-frame.

Any advice on how to de-solder a 24 pin header so I can spin it around to the other side??? :( lol!

Trappy
16th September 2012, 11:28 PM
lots of solder on top and just swipe back and forth. the more solder the better.

M'ck'y
17th September 2012, 12:34 AM
Has anyone tried to solder rc timers's brushless motor wires directly to the escs wires? I swear it's bloody hard...There has to be a trick due to the type of conductive material that repels solder. my NTM1200kv has worked brilliantly on wiiesc firmware. I tested rctimer's flashed esc and 750kv, and the disco was completely unflyable. What I haven't tested are my same wiiesc with the new 750 motors.
Changing due to large amount of 4s arriving today for my z2.

BayAreaCrasher
17th September 2012, 12:46 AM
Ok, I did something stupid. I was building my Discovery today and turns out I put on the servo pins on the top plate incorrectly. The one that is supposed to be facing into the frame I put it facing up. So I tried to remove it by quickly trying to desolder the pins which didn't work at all. I ended up melting the plastic on the set of servo pins!! FACK.

So I have a few questions:

1. Tim, do you sell spare top plates per chance? Shipping from Europe for one plate is way too much.
2. Are the +ve pins on the top place servo leads meant to be all connected together? It seems like they are from the picture or was it my f-up?
3. Where can I purchase a new set of 8x3 servo pins like this?
4. Any idea how to best remove the solder that is inside the pins now after my clean up?

So bloody stupid! I'm an idiot. I could still use the frame without those servo pins and just put the receiver somewhere else but I wanted to check on these options.

BayAreaCrasher
17th September 2012, 12:57 AM
Wow, just noticed that sl4ppy did the same thing :)

rcschim
17th September 2012, 09:23 AM
Hi guys, I've been quite satisfied with my Disco lately. The setup works well for me - had many flights now and start to cut the better scenes together, here's the first part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJqCV6lOJQo

One weird thing (Naza): I tested a "provoked" failsafe (via failsafe switch) the other day:
the copter did how he was told: increase around 10m, fly exaclty to the starting position and then landed right where it was started.
The only thing: the "flare out" or land-shutdown motors part didn't work. The copter hopped on our landing stripe for 2,5mins before we forced him to stay down with a stick. Und the danger of chopping off my fingers I disconnected the battery...

And what I've learned: if you go into failsafe and you want to abort the rth (to land controlled) you have to switch to manual mode and then atti again. Man was I looking stupid when I flipped the failsafe switch back to normal - and still couldn't controll my disco.
So be warned if you try this.
I'll upload a video of this funny scene shortly :-)))

greez,
RCSchim

kloner
17th September 2012, 09:38 AM
schim, sounds like you have a number off in the mounting window, might need a - in front depending where it is...... above cg is -,,,,,,, back behind cg is - and to the left is - standing behind looking towards the front

sl4ppy
17th September 2012, 09:35 PM
3. Where can I purchase a new set of 8x3 servo pins like this?
4. Any idea how to best remove the solder that is inside the pins now after my clean up?

While I didn't melt the plate at all. I did melt the plastic bracket that holds the pins together and pulled a few pins out while removing it from the plate.... So I too would like to know where I can pick a new 9x3 pin header up. :)

Jessestr
17th September 2012, 09:38 PM
Decided to keep my TBS Discovery. Can't live without it! :D

Trappy, prepare for my orders (shop orders tho :D)

sl4ppy
17th September 2012, 09:50 PM
While I didn't melt the plate at all. I did melt the plastic bracket that holds the pins together and pulled a few pins out while removing it from the plate.... So I too would like to know where I can pick a new 9x3 pin header up. :)

Found them.. Breakaway headers..
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/103817-6/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtsLRyDR9nM18mJd%252baLxMG90z0htOrUyX M%3d

Now the big question... Is the pitch the same. :(

And 735 may be more than I need. :)

BayAreaCrasher
17th September 2012, 10:23 PM
I just purchased a set of single and double headers from sfcable.com (close to me here so should arrive in a day). got tired of searching for the 3 row sets :)

terabyte
18th September 2012, 12:19 AM
these will work.
https://www.adafruit.com/products/392

sl4ppy
18th September 2012, 12:30 AM
these will work.
https://www.adafruit.com/products/392

Holy crap those are pricey. I ordere a bunch of these for $1.50.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/116

BayAreaCrasher
18th September 2012, 12:41 AM
even better...only problem is that they are right-angled...which is not bad.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10095

sl4ppy
18th September 2012, 02:50 PM
And the winner is??!!?!

Fry's. Swung by on a whim. a set of 4 2x40s for 2.99 and 4 1x40s for 1.99. No shipping, etc..

Sold!

crispycargo
18th September 2012, 04:09 PM
see lema!!! should have gone with fry's. haha jk.

BayAreaCrasher
18th September 2012, 05:22 PM
yeah, I went to Fry's just now and saw it as well. Oh well, the shipping was combined with some other cables and stuff I needed for my GCS anyway. But yeah, Fry's is where it's at.

sveininge
18th September 2012, 05:34 PM
Do people turn off the voltage monitor on the DJI NAZA? what can go wrong if i don't have the voltage monitor on?

j5coat
18th September 2012, 06:05 PM
why would you want to turn it off? a forced landing is better than falling out of the sky.

hagay
18th September 2012, 06:05 PM
Instead of soft landing you'll get a hard drop and a dead battery if your lucky

sveininge
18th September 2012, 07:02 PM
When i fly FPV i got battery monetering, and iam used to not having a battery guard onboard. Flying the KK2 from the early beginning.
And i don't linke the way its dropping when the battery monitor steps in.

Last time it came so fast down that the quad bunced on the tarmac and then the naza just flipped and gave full throttle ..

So i ask again is there someone that do NOT use the battery monitor on the naza, ?

shadow102
18th September 2012, 07:31 PM
do you plan on using the GPS with the NAZA? You can set it to return to home when it hits a certain voltage, however if you set it right and run your timer correctly you'll never need it.

sveininge
18th September 2012, 07:43 PM
I do have the GPS on it. and i run timer on my radio.

shadow102
18th September 2012, 07:58 PM
i would set it so when it does hit the low voltage that it goes into failsafe mode which should be return to home mode

RTRyder
18th September 2012, 08:38 PM
i would set it so when it does hit the low voltage that it goes into failsafe mode which should be return to home mode

On a Wookong-M yes, on the Naza no, the only option on the Naza is descending on second level low voltage, meaning it will land wherever it is at that time. Best method if not using an OSD with power stats is to set a timer that goes off when you know the battery to be at some point like 60% discharge and then make sure you're within the remaining 20% discharge flying time to get back to the takeoff point.

Maybe someday DJI will add RTH on low voltage to the Naza but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it. None of the three I have flying use voltage monitoring, I'd rather decide for myself via OSD if it's time to land and not have to go on a hike to retrieve one if the Naza firmware decides the battery is low.

Ken

hadriez
18th September 2012, 11:22 PM
Do people turn off the voltage monitor on the DJI NAZA? what can go wrong if i don't have the voltage monitor on?

i turned off the voltage monitor on the first day i got the naza as i would know i will be using a couple of 4S battery and the rest on 3S (I got 4 of these). :cool:
i just use a loud battery buzzer to indicate when it reaches 3.3v per cell. i went as far as 1.5km on fpv and i can still hear the buzzer at that distance ;)

at least by doing this, i don't have to bring my laptop to the field just to change the voltage settings.

plingboot
19th September 2012, 03:44 AM
i had an expensive incident with a WKM on my droidworx Y6 build. it decided it was time to land and it came down like a brick, broken carbon landing gear, bent AV130 gimbal.

i now have voltage protection switched off on all my dji builds and instead i've been timing my packs for longest run time, i take 2 to 2:30 off that, label the packs and have a countdown timer on my radio, triggered to start by the throttle.

sveininge
19th September 2012, 06:34 AM
this is the kinda answers i was lloking for :)
comming from KK kontrollers to NAZA its like starting all over, so now i have the battery mointor set to off :) and i use a buzzer to warn me about lipo voltage if i fly it in los, in fpv i have full controll over the voltag drop..

Tahoe Ed
19th September 2012, 09:40 PM
Trappy,

I got a quick request for you. How about a mini Discovery designed around the F330 arms. FPV only, no camera mount. It could be a lot of fun! You up for it? :D

Ed

P.S. If you decide to do it, I get to test too. ;-)

FPVdude
19th September 2012, 10:46 PM
Trappy,

I got a quick request for you. How about a mini Discovery designed around the F330 arms. FPV only, no camera mount. It could be a lot of fun! You up for it? :D

Ed
LOL yeah! :)

wiggysk
20th September 2012, 02:29 AM
excellent idea, would buy one

londonguy
20th September 2012, 06:00 AM
So my TBS Discovery ended up in the river. Extremely disappointing as I was hovering about 50 meters upwind.
The same river that my Zephyr2 ended up in 6 months ago :(

I was about 200 meters up hovering in GPS mode. My battery pack was showing 2400mah used on a 3300 pack. Voltage was around 14.3 If I remember rightly.

Decided to go into manual mode and lose some height fast, so I pushed forward and before I've past 45degrees it's flipped right over upside down, it was like a turtle on it's back struggling to flip round. I didn't seem to have any control over what was happening. I believe I went into failsafe so I tried flipping the control mode back and forth but no joy. I lose video and then I hear a very loud CRACK. I assumed I hit the pathway behind the trees.

Anyway I search for a while, no joy, decided to check the river and low and behold I see my LED running lights shining up from the depths. I empty my pockets and run in. I'm 6'2 and the water came up to my chest. Very murky water, I would have lost it without the LED's shining through.

Zoomed home and ripped all the electronics off and put them in the oven at 50degrees for 4 hours. Then I left them in a warm cupboard in a big bowl of rice.

Got super lucky, my GoPro 2 is alive. I haven't tested any of the other components. I really hope I get lucky with at least half of my Naza+GPS, EzUHF, EzOSD.

ESC's are toast. Motors most likely OK.

One of the tips of a single prop broke. I don't know if it broke in mid air when I pushed the quad forward, causing it to flip, Or whether it broke on impact with the water. It was 4ft to the bottom of the river and no other props broke. Has anyone had their discovery upside down with a Naza? I thought it could recover from behind upside down? So the prop must have broken?

Before: http://i.imgur.com/r0ND7.jpg
After: http://i.imgur.com/oTjrJ.jpg
River: http://i.imgur.com/BDCWx.jpg

Sp1k3
20th September 2012, 06:04 AM
Hey Guys,
Ive been trying over a week to add something to my order of the discovery. I would like to add the GPS module. I'm not able to get into contact with anybody from the TBS team... and Ive been trying by all means...
Can someone help me to add the GPS to my order?
Thanks
Sp1k3

speedstep
20th September 2012, 06:45 AM
So my TBS Discovery ended up in the river. Extremely disappointing as I was hovering about 50 meters upwind.
The same river that my Zephyr2 ended up in 6 months ago :(

I was about 200 meters up hovering in GPS mode. My battery pack was showing 2400mah used on a 3300 pack. Voltage was around 14.3 If I remember rightly.

Decided to go into manual mode and lose some height fast, so I pushed forward and before I've past 45degrees it's flipped right over upside down, it was like a turtle on it's back struggling to flip round. I didn't seem to have any control over what was happening. I believe I went into failsafe so I tried flipping the control mode back and forth but no joy. I lose video and then I hear a very loud CRACK. I assumed I hit the pathway behind the trees.

Anyway I search for a while, no joy, decided to check the river and low and behold I see my LED running lights shining up from the depths. I empty my pockets and run in. I'm 6'2 and the water came up to my chest. Very murky water, I would have lost it without the LED's shining through.

Zoomed home and ripped all the electronics off and put them in the oven at 50degrees for 4 hours. Then I left them in a warm cupboard in a big bowl of rice.

Got super lucky, my GoPro 2 is alive. I haven't tested any of the other components. I really hope I get lucky with at least half of my Naza+GPS, EzUHF, EzOSD.

ESC's are toast. Motors most likely OK.

One of the tips of a single prop broke. I don't know if it broke in mid air when I pushed the quad forward, causing it to flip, Or whether it broke on impact with the water. It was 4ft to the bottom of the river and no other props broke. Has anyone had their discovery upside down with a Naza? I thought it could recover from behind upside down? So the prop must have broken?

Before: http://i.imgur.com/r0ND7.jpg
After: http://i.imgur.com/oTjrJ.jpg
River: http://i.imgur.com/BDCWx.jpg

Oh man sorry to hear that!! That's the nightmare of everybody!

The Naza usually works fine in manual mode, does flips without any worries even 2 sec inverted drops and it always recovers fine. In atti mode it can shut down if you push it too hard (ask Trappy) What I had was a bearing on a motor failed on me almost crashed because motor blocked for a tiny moment. But I could recover and check it. Found that one of the bearings shit itself. These bearings (dji 2212) are not that great... Ordered some 900kv tigers ;)

Apart from that rice bag is the right idea!! Best leave it wrapped into a ricebag for 2-4 weeks. I had once an iphone dead after it dropped into water after 3 weeks (checked every other day in between) in a ricebag it came back to life and everything worked :eek:

shadow102
20th September 2012, 08:54 AM
london guy what props are you using?

terabyte
20th September 2012, 08:59 AM
This has worked well for me in the past.

There is an alternative way to save a wet cell phone that includes an alcohol soak. Alcohol is hygroscopic which means that it attracts water. Soaking your phone in denatured alcohol, or a 95% alcohol solution (regular rubbing alcohol is about 75%), soaks up all the water in the phone. When the liquid is dumped out, only alcohol, which will evaporate, remains. Make sure that the alcohol you use is denatured with only methanol as the chemicals found in other types can be damaging. This kind of alcohol can be purchased at your local hardware store. The alcohol soak may work best for phones that have been damaged by salt water or other liquids such as coffee.

After doing that I put in a dog dish with rice in the over at 200 degrees fahrenheit for a couple of hours.

hagay
20th September 2012, 09:02 AM
Graupner e-props, look at the pictures
So sorry about your staff, I hope the rice would help

londonguy
20th September 2012, 09:12 AM
london guy what props are you using?

Graupner Elektro 8x5

londonguy
20th September 2012, 10:00 AM
This has worked well for me in the past.

There is an alternative way to save a wet cell phone that includes an alcohol soak. Alcohol is hygroscopic which means that it attracts water. Soaking your phone in denatured alcohol, or a 95% alcohol solution (regular rubbing alcohol is about 75%), soaks up all the water in the phone. When the liquid is dumped out, only alcohol, which will evaporate, remains. Make sure that the alcohol you use is denatured with only methanol as the chemicals found in other types can be damaging. This kind of alcohol can be purchased at your local hardware store. The alcohol soak may work best for phones that have been damaged by salt water or other liquids such as coffee.

After doing that I put in a dog dish with rice in the over at 200 degrees fahrenheit for a couple of hours.

I've got litres of 99.99% ISOpropyl alcohol. Guessing that would work? Didn't consider it but next I definitely will.

Glenstr
20th September 2012, 12:02 PM
Taking a serious look at this kit, trying to make up my mind to get it or the hoverthings fpv frame. I have a spare flamewheel 450 frame so I already have the arms, but a couple of things I am concerned about are weight and jello. My existing flamewheel 450 is noticeably heavier than my hoverthings 450, and although I've shot very little video with the flamewheel so far, it does seem to have more jello tendencies than I see with the Gaui and hoverthings frames I have used. Having said that, I have seen some nice video shot with stock flamewheel frames as well.

I do like the camera mounts that allow an fpv cam on this frame, and that with the cheaper price is leaning me towards the discovery frame. It would be nice if someone would make lighter & thinner arms that would bolt right on in place of the flamewheel arms though..

Trappy
20th September 2012, 12:25 PM
Hey Guys,
Ive been trying over a week to add something to my order of the discovery. I would like to add the GPS module. I'm not able to get into contact with anybody from the TBS team... and Ive been trying by all means...
Can someone help me to add the GPS to my order?
Thanks
Sp1k3

working on it. on a 230 mail backlog, a little patience please I go through them one at a time.

Manzooka
20th September 2012, 06:44 PM
working on it. on a 230 mail backlog, a little patience please I go through them one at a time.

lol, I logged in to ask about my order too but I'll refrain ;) I just noticed the RF Tins were back in stock and thought that may have been what's holding up my order up, that or the 69. No worries, it gets here when it gets here. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/551260/Heli/thumbup.jpg

kloner
20th September 2012, 07:18 PM
Glen, this is all shot from discoveries using $2 worth of ear plugs to make it jello free. ones a gimble so it has a different weird look, but that's post stab and how it reacts to the lens

http://rchelicollective.com/zen/cache/kloner/TBS%20Discovery/002%20%281024x767%29_795.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vH3N-51LbQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL87KLucSS8

then the other day i wanted to try a real camera, this was a discovery with a tilt gimble with a sony nex-5. it was my second try so it's far from refined, but smooth too. 1080p avchd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGpDM53nYrU

no balancing anything, graupner props straight out of the wrapper but the ear plugs, and the way the rubber band goes across the cam is perfect.

this is it lifting a 13oz camera on a gimble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfRKjRXXf-s

as far as the arms, i hope they don't mess with a thing. $4 arms, $70 plates, it's not like a $1500 zeph your scared to send into battle. my camera costs more than the quad

shadow102
20th September 2012, 10:29 PM
Installed the CORE i received from getfpv.com tonight, works great so far. Going to install my sony 600tvl board cam tomorrow as the OSD on the gopro makes the OSD on the CORE useless.

kloner
20th September 2012, 10:36 PM
why would you want to look at r5 and a battery status for a cam that runs 2-3 hours vs the telemetry for the disco? am i missing something? mah and volts and a clock are huge if ya want to make it back

shadow102
20th September 2012, 11:03 PM
thats what i am saying that stuff the gopro displays covers up the CORE osd so i have to install my board cam so i can use the CORE osd

terabyte
20th September 2012, 11:45 PM
I've got litres of 99.99% ISOpropyl alcohol. Guessing that would work? Didn't consider it but next I definitely will.

yes and not too late...

FPV FLYER
20th September 2012, 11:51 PM
Don't fly from a gopro feed please, that's just wrong. :D

Tahoe Ed
21st September 2012, 12:34 AM
It may be wrong to you, but I have done it often. Why do you have an issue with this.

FPV FLYER
21st September 2012, 01:03 AM
Yes it is wrong to me first because of the video out latency on the gopro, personally I have to have live out, not delayed live out :)
Second if you are not providing 5v to the gopro you run the risk of running out of juice in flight. Thirdly, if your sd card becomes corrupted you will also lose video.
I can go on and on, but this should convince you?

Mechnan
21st September 2012, 01:21 AM
Glen, this is all shot from discoveries using $2 worth of ear plugs to make it jello free. ones a gimble so it has a different weird look, but that's post stab and how it reacts to the lens

http://rchelicollective.com/zen/cache/kloner/TBS%20Discovery/002%20%281024x767%29_795.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vH3N-51LbQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL87KLucSS8

then the other day i wanted to try a real camera, this was a discovery with a tilt gimble with a sony nex-5. it was my second try so it's far from refined, but smooth too. 1080p avchd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGpDM53nYrU

no balancing anything, graupner props straight out of the wrapper but the ear plugs, and the way the rubber band goes across the cam is perfect.

this is it lifting a 13oz camera on a gimble

as far as the arms, i hope they don't mess with a thing. $4 arms, $70 plates, it's not like a $1500 zeph your scared to send into battle. my camera costs more than the quad

Nice clean footage!
Can you tell me if there is a live feed out from that camera? Can't find any infos on that.

kloner
21st September 2012, 08:57 AM
the disco on the right does, and a core osd

maybe i asked wrong, why not turn off the osd on the gopro? especialy if you want to replace it with a board cam cause it's there.... i'm so confused

this is gopro live feed with the hero2 osd off and the core osd on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RbtAjH8LF4

i see latency in all my videos after i fly watching the hd video, but during i don't notice it

mudlark
21st September 2012, 09:44 AM
Mechnan
Can you tell me more about how you mounted the tilt system.
Just got that one from Servo City and want to fit it to my Disco.
Some more photos would be good.
How does it effect the CofG?
it'll make it quite heavy at the front.
Will try the ear plug method

kloner
21st September 2012, 09:59 AM
that's the tilt i use..... its bolted into were the front two red bars holes after a little sanding on the gimble..... with a hero2 and using a 4000mah 4s cg is perfect. Straight down shifts cg back some, but forward and tilted up theres no shift. I used these 180 degree 400 gram robot servos they had on sale worked best. tried a .06 bls servo, that sucked... tried a cheap HV hitec servo $14, too slow.

http://rchelicollective.com/zen/kloner/TBS%20Discovery/v2/gimble/

what didn't work on mine was leaving it stock so the cam was pulled back onto it..... made a ton of shake, put a lip on the bottom like the picture above so the camera had something to sit on and wala, it all smoothed out. it's the one in the right and the added part is the white lip the ear plugs are sitting on

mudlark
21st September 2012, 10:50 AM
thanks for your help.
9559tg ordered

kloner
21st September 2012, 10:58 AM
use 6 volts if you can....... that seemed smoothest on mine. i have the programmer and tried changing everything inside it and nothing did squat....... change the voltage .1 volt at a time and there was a huge difference between them.

luilly3d
22nd September 2012, 04:04 PM
For the KK 2.0 FC users, can you share some basic PI settings to start up with?! Thanks!

renato
22nd September 2012, 04:14 PM
@Trappy (or anyone else): HELP

First crash with the TBS. Now, with the original DJI frame the arms broke. Now... the frame breaks. Both sides :(
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/23/amubumah.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/23/5ahyrata.jpg
Well, this is maybe just bad luck I hope. In the meantime, is there anything to fix?
Is it an idear to take small parts off off the DJI frame and glue them on top? Will it hold?
Eboxy? Other thoughts? And yes, I now I have to buy a new frame ;)

Anyone else had the same or is this just me?

Rene

FPV FLYER
22nd September 2012, 04:36 PM
Wow that seems unusual renato, what happened? Got any video? :)

renato
22nd September 2012, 04:47 PM
Wow that seems unusual renato, what happened? Got any video? :)

Hehe... I have :) GoPro is still alive. 10 meters from the TBS inpact. I will upload it to YouTube in 2 hours. It's a scary one! Totally lost control and didn't react on my input. Hope you can sleep tonight after watching ;)

hagay
22nd September 2012, 05:04 PM
Some people will find this pictures difficult to watch ):

renato
22nd September 2012, 05:28 PM
Some people will find this pictures difficult to watch ):

In that case... Onboard VIDEO footage! Put your speakers on, listen how the frame breaks! (but don't get a nightmare ;) )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVsn0yNjACM

sveininge
22nd September 2012, 07:52 PM
oh man.. you where lucky it did not chrash into the traffic there.

My bs quad react somehow in the same way if i overload it, i tried to fly it with 4 cell 5000 mah lipo but that is too heavy for the tbs quad.
So for best perfomance I fly with 3000 mah 4 cell lipo and that works great in all modes now.
To heavy tbs quad flyes like shit :)

mike20sm
22nd September 2012, 09:39 PM
That was an awesome crash. Did you figure out why you lost control?

FPV FLYER
22nd September 2012, 11:00 PM
Kinda feels like receiver hitting failsafe?

Trappy
23rd September 2012, 12:58 AM
that's how mine zapped across Paris. looks like failsafe without failsafe settings set.

FPV FLYER
23rd September 2012, 01:00 AM
that's how mine zapped across Paris. looks like failsafe without failsafe settings set.
yup

shadow102
23rd September 2012, 01:27 AM
i would think if it hit fail safe the GPS RTH function would kick in?

Flew with the sony 600tvl and TBS CORE for the first time this evening, really like this setup a lot more just need to play around with the cam settings so i can get a little bit clearer of a picture when i fly toward the sun.

Trappy
23rd September 2012, 01:36 AM
for that to work the receiver failsafe needs to be set to the GPS-RTH function.

johansson939
23rd September 2012, 07:59 AM
What is the best choice in motor? The Tiger MT 2216 800 kv or 900 kv? I will run Graupner 9" props and 4S Zippy Compact.
Please also motivate your answer why that motor is the best. And should`t TBS sell the Tiger Motors here on this sight or have
I been dreaming?

shadow102
23rd September 2012, 08:04 AM
for that to work the receiver failsafe needs to be set to the GPS-RTH function.

true i guess i just assume it would be set that way

renato
23rd September 2012, 10:20 AM
oh man.. you where lucky it did not chrash into the traffic there.
To heavy tbs quad flyes like shit :)

I was very lucky (allways till now). It's not a little foamy. If it would crash into a car like this... man!
Flying allways with 4S 4000 I never had these problems. It started with positioning the GPS.
You see that it won't hold horizontal position and just drifts it's own way.

renato
23rd September 2012, 10:28 AM
That was an awesome crash. Did you figure out why you lost control?

It must have been the GPS. I had some trouble with the compass. Maybe it wend crazy. I did fly on GPS.

This is a video from the same day. No problems at all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXNEGs_5YWk
TBS Discovery, video from the TBS 69 camera.

renato
23rd September 2012, 10:34 AM
Kinda feels like receiver hitting failsafe?

On the latest moment, I did hit failsafe. I guess that's why it changed position before hitting the trees.
Normally it would have been going up to 20 meters instead of... well... falling the other way.

renato
23rd September 2012, 10:56 AM

I have failsafe set on all 3 modes AND loosing transmitter connection. Normally, failsafe is working great and brings the quad back home (also tested on Discovery). But with a crazy GPS/compass it's another story.

Ps. Thanks for answering my mail so quick and ensure me that the topplate is in stock and will be shipped. Top service.
Till then, I took an old 450 board and epoxy so I will fly my TBS tomorrow :)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/23/aguzu8aq.jpg
Looking more beautiful then ever ;)

MidwestRob
23rd September 2012, 12:38 PM
It must have been the GPS. I had some trouble with the compass. Maybe it wend crazy. I did fly on GPS.

Wow! I'm surprised how much damage your frame plates suffered from that crash. I have crashed mine pretty hard a couple of times and only had to replace a few props.

I notice you have your GPS mounted directly to the frame. I know some people have said it works fine for them mounted like that, but I had nothing but trouble with mine when I had it attached that way. I haven't had any trouble with mine since I mounted the GPS on the boom. It doesn't look pretty, but it seems to perform much better for me when it is attached to the boom.

renato
23rd September 2012, 01:20 PM
I notice you have your GPS mounted directly to the frame. I know some people have said it works fine for them mounted like that, but I had nothing but trouble with mine when I had it attached that way. I haven't had any trouble with mine since I mounted the GPS on the boom. It doesn't look pretty, but it seems to perform much better for me when it is attached to the boom.

That's an old photo. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. So I also mounted it on a boom. A short one. My guess is... to short. The video shows exactly the same as when the GPS was located directly on the frame. I have also problems with the OSD GPS. Maybe because they are placed near the battery? Tomorrow some tests with the old frame, building both GPS away and above the quad. Indeed not nice looking but better than my TBS is looking now ;)

shadow102
23rd September 2012, 02:43 PM
i believe i have heard reports of the DJI GPS not playing very well with OSD GPS as well.

kloner
23rd September 2012, 04:36 PM
my gps is mounted straight to the top frame, i had a eagle tree on it and that didn't work. i tried no osd and a dragonlink,,,,, nope. but, ezuhf, core osd no nav, bueno. Went 2 miles today...... this new one i built goes a long ways. hard as hell to track though, i'm constantly left them right then left then right. looks like im drunk..... I love these crazy little things,,,,, just drove 4 hours to play with it a few packs.... Sorry about the 2nd scene,,,, that gimble, 1080p recording in medium and the post stab made for a prety haleucinogenic flick...... The train tracks revisited

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ZrEvZ_-9U

sl4ppy
23rd September 2012, 09:49 PM
Nice vid. Looks like you almost bit it there at the 2:27ish mark... "lookout! Bush!". ;)

kloner
23rd September 2012, 10:11 PM
the wind was blowing the sound my way and it made me look up for it, when i glanced back down, thought i just bought a new kit. it was still a couple thousand feet up the road. That was fun.... tried to match it on my zII but it's just not dialed in like this thing...

j5coat
24th September 2012, 01:24 AM
damn, i wish i could get 2 miles out of my ezuhf on a quad! its still sitting on the desk not being used, waiting for an airplane.

hover
24th September 2012, 01:40 PM
Got my TBS Discovery ready built yesterday. It flys really good with one problem. When flying straight ahead with some speed and release the stick my Naza nearly flips backwards but settles itself after some seconds.
This problem is very bad in GPS mode but better in ATTI mode. I have tried different GPS positions -> no change. Also I tried ATTI gains 130/130/130/130 and 140/140/140/140 -> no change.
Also it sometimes locks in a wrong angle for some seconds.
I calibrate the GPS correct before every flight and with my cellphone away.
Somebody can help? Thanks!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwyuExWJ68M

sl4ppy
24th September 2012, 01:45 PM
I had/have the same thing. I think it's fairly normal as that's how it stops forward movement and in GPS mode, it stops it a LOT faster. I made mine much less drastic by shifting the CG from the datum point on the bottom of the frame to about 10mm forward so it's very slightly more nose heavy than what the datum wants.

It also looks like it's pitching back much further than it really is because of the wide FOV of the camera. It's not really that close to flipping over. :)

hover
24th September 2012, 01:59 PM
I had/have the same thing. I think it's fairly normal as that's how it stops forward movement and in GPS mode, it stops it a LOT faster. I made mine much less drastic by shifting the CG from the datum point on the bottom of the frame to about 10mm forward so it's very slightly more nose heavy than what the datum wants.

It also looks like it's pitching back much further than it really is because of the wide FOV of the camera. It's not really that close to flipping over. :)

Thanks, I have tried different GPS positions (over the naza, in the middle and the suggested gps point) but no difference. every time the same situation. In the fpv camera it looks more horrible and i think in the next second i fall from the sky. can my GPS also be broken because there is definetly something wrong with it?

sl4ppy
24th September 2012, 02:07 PM
No, it's working perfectly fine. I think you're just not used to it.

Fly it fast forward without FPV, just looking at it, and I think you'll see it comes to a stop quickly, but not so much as to make it fall out of the sky. In GPS mode, I suspect it grabs a position when you release the sticks and slams on the brakes harder to hold that position than you are used too. If the GPS didnt work or was broken, it wouldn't come to a stop at all.

In ATTI mode it will be less drastic, and in normal mode, it wont stop at all. That's how it's supposed to work. :)

kloner
24th September 2012, 02:07 PM
it is what it does when cg is back like it is..... but tilted up 45 degrees the weight has to be back there... the idea is to fly it, not release the stick to have a beer.

all my flights are in atti or gps atti,,,,,,

on 3 of these, the gains for atti are more like 70-80 and it does this alot less, but you never just let up on the stick.

hover
24th September 2012, 02:11 PM

Fly it fast forward without FPV, just looking at it, and I think you'll see it comes to a stop quickly, but not so much as to make it fall out of the sky. In GPS mode, I suspect it grabs a position when you release the sticks and slams on the brakes harder to hold that position than you are used too. If the GPS didnt work or was broken, it wouldn't come to a stop at all.

In ATTI mode it will be less drastic, and in normal mode, it wont stop at all. That's how it's supposed to work. :)

I was flying the Naza sind 6 month and f450 with gps since 3 weeks and never had this problem. Only with the Discovery my copter just flips. Very strange

kloner
24th September 2012, 02:13 PM
f450 is made to hover, everything is symetrical, they fly like crap in forward flight, but hover great. When you step into this airframe it is designed to fly forward......... when it tilts forward 45 degrees and the motors, prop, all that moves cg forward, you want to start off a little back, that's why cg is where it is....

the higher the gain is on atti, the more your giving control of it to the naza. the lower that is, the more of the control you have,,, to high makes it fight itself alot. I;e seen that gain too high try taking me to the ground, on several occasions. it'll get a lockover type thing going like the origional align 3g did....

shadow102
24th September 2012, 03:05 PM
i have had mine tilt to the right rear once, it was almost like it didnt have a completely solid GPS lock and was searching for the position hold.

CoG should have absolutely nothing to do with hover tilting. The NAZA will compensate for things like this (i have seen a 2200 3s lipo hung from a single arm and the naza doesnt even flinch in atti mode) CoG has more to do with the flight characteristics as long as you dont completely over load one motor.

kloner
24th September 2012, 03:24 PM
the right rear thing is the lockover i talked about.... different than a consistent too high of gain, too much weight to the rear just letting off a stick. Thats what was shown in the video anyways....

I'm a year in with naza, been through 3 discos and 2 f450's and 3 of my own concoctions with it and is what i've seen.

This is naza in gps atti with too much weight on one side never touching a stick except back, it is extreme, but what you say it doesn't do

when it looks like it tried hovering, that was me jerking back on the sticks, when it flew, that was me letting off full back a little bit. 13oz and a 3 oz gimble off the nose of one of these with 4000mah of 4s out back

The cg has everything to do with how it behaves in a hover, even atti, even gps atti if its flat overloaded.....

that atti gain over 130 is nuts though, way too high if you tune it by the manual.....

Try this, strap your battery to the top of your disco, leave it off the back and go try the same move

Mattsrcking
24th September 2012, 06:24 PM
Can't wait to buy one, they are always out of stock!

FPVdude
24th September 2012, 08:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ZrEvZ_-9U
Nice video! smooooth.... just wondering though, why is there railroad tracks, a dirt road, and a paved road, all parallel?

kloner
24th September 2012, 08:24 PM
I grew up in So Cal,,,, rode dirt bikes and went down that road that comes and goes in dads truck to ride.... in 1976 a hurricane came up out of mexico and slammed that place. i remember all of a sudden, one year we couldn't go ride at the desert, was 6 years old. The thing hit it so hard it killed a few people and completely washed interstate 8 off the map. think there was an el nino that year and the warm ocean 20 miles south fed the thing all the way to cali

The road and the tracks don't work anymore, been out of service since then. kind of weird area,,,, was reading about it all on wikipedia,,,,, Ocotillio wells CA and Painted Gorge gets some interesting read about it all.

back when there wasn't roads, that track went from Yuma Arizona, Across the border into mexico kinda around those mountains you see in the distance into San Diego then up into Orange county. Those tracks were from like Wyatt Erp days,,,, 3:10 to yuma,,, about 40 miles away

Trappy
24th September 2012, 09:27 PM
Can't wait to buy one, they are always out of stock!
actually the TBS DISCOVERY hasn't been out of stock for quite some time now :)

kloner
24th September 2012, 09:38 PM
trappy, are those new motor sets shipping yet?

Trappy
24th September 2012, 10:11 PM
no, damn ESC factory is slacking. on the bright side they promised shipment tomorrow (26th), however I'm too far away from China to send a DISCOVERY to investigate ... :(

Trappy
24th September 2012, 10:12 PM

+1, it looks like it's flying fine too. if it does that pitch up by itself make sure you increase the vertical gain ... feel free to up to 170. I'm at 230 right now ... :)

kloner
24th September 2012, 10:14 PM
maybe a zeph will make it?

jamison816
25th September 2012, 08:49 PM
http://youtu.be/oR34kNBcZ_8
Found an oldie but goodie hope u like it.

Mattsrcking
25th September 2012, 11:07 PM
Very cool

kloner
26th September 2012, 12:17 AM
that was one bright sunrise...... you could see the light go by right when and after you took off....

jamison816
26th September 2012, 08:37 AM
Ok so here is my issue. I sunk my disco a few weeks back everything survived except the core. I got the core off but in the process I destroyed the pin connections on my bottom plate. I got a new core and just powered it from the two small pads behind where the core normally sets I would like to use the core OSd the question WHERE CAN I LAND THE SENS WIRE? My explanation may not be the best I can take a few pics when I get home.

tenright
26th September 2012, 09:08 AM
got my Disco today....and was wondering if the X1 and X2 headers were an alternative to soldering camera and vtx cables?

Trappy
26th September 2012, 09:09 AM
yup. the cables for X1 and X2 are supplied in the small parts bag. the one for the VTx has 2 different connectors, the one for the camera will fit either way. the colors are right for the cables supplied, so red = V+, black = GND, yellow = video, white = audio (or GND in case of the TBS cameras)

tenright
26th September 2012, 09:27 AM
yup. the cables for X1 and X2 are supplied in the small parts bag. the one for the VTx has 2 different connectors, the one for the camera will fit either way. the colors are right for the cables supplied, so red = V+, black = GND, yellow = video, white = audio (or GND in case of the TBS cameras)

Thanks Trappy. Sitting here looking at my IRC vtx, EzOSD and EzOSD current sensor combo and scratching my head trying to work out the best way to connect and power everything....It's getting late here and i'm starting to confuse myself!!

Trappy
26th September 2012, 09:59 AM
the EzOSD will be hard to get right. I'd suggest to just stay with the TBS CORE on the quad. You can remove the shunt (brown bridge right next to the battery plug) and then install the EzOSD by feednig the power into the current sensor directly from the battery, and back to the other side of that bridge to measure the current nicely without intruding to the clean wiring setup by the discovery.

hover
26th September 2012, 02:24 PM
Everyone is talking not to use Expo and DR with the Naza. TBS Discovery is made to fly fast, but do you think its good to use some Expo and DR for some slow video shots and smooth movements?

kloner
26th September 2012, 02:29 PM
i use expo but no dr, if you turn the disco on and dr is enabled, you can't start the motors. it makes a really weird feel, limits how far it banks and the one time i tried it, my quad behaved different and it made me nervous

I use alot of expo though,,,,, i drift a bit between latency and lack of experience

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1bDYVxhn8g

shadow102
26th September 2012, 02:30 PM
I have about 20% expo dialed in on my radio right now and honestly the only reason it is there is to smooth out somethings when i go into manual mode. Expo is not needed for atti and gps mode

Iceman
26th September 2012, 02:45 PM
Well had my Disco ready to rock.. but the damn motors I tried cant pull the skin off a rice pudding making it pretty much un-flyable. The motors I tried were Turnigy SK2830 750Kv on 4S 9" props but had no reserve power for control authority.
How's about someone start a sticky with a recommended list of motors esc's giving flight performance info as I seem to waste half my life looking through long threads for stuff like this.

Anyways the 2nd set of motors (NTM Prop Drive 28-36 750KV/ 265W) Ive ordered haven't turned up yet so looks like I'm going to have to pull some DT750's off another quad.

Ice

kloner
26th September 2012, 03:43 PM
are those numbers real motor stator diameters or outside dimensions. Some of there stuff is outter dimmensions and we talk about stator sizes like when we say 22mm, 28mm, etc.

750-800 on 4s and 10" prop
900-1000 on 4s and 8" prop

is what i know working. i like 28mm stators but alot of these guys like them 2216's

got any 10" props to try?

Iceman
26th September 2012, 04:07 PM
Hi Kloner tried 10" initially but dropped to the 9" to see if I could get better control authority as I knew as soon as it was in the air it was WTF.

The motor is no longer listed on the HK site. (Turnigy SK 2830 750kv) guessing its similiar spec to the NTM of same name? All the components with the exception of the motors... Esc's/Naza etc had all been flying with DT750's on another frame so know its all working from 8" through to 10" on 3 & 4S packs.

kloner
26th September 2012, 04:12 PM
the few search hits on the number you listed all whine about the motor not having power, another talked about loose magnets....... try the other setup or get something from trappy tested with it

Trappy
26th September 2012, 04:53 PM
Iceman, send me a PM with what you're looking for. If you don't need ESCs I can ship you some pretty sweet motors :)

CowboyZ99
26th September 2012, 06:46 PM
Everyone is talking not to use Expo and DR with the Naza. TBS Discovery is made to fly fast, but do you think its good to use some Expo and DR for some slow video shots and smooth movements?

I use 50% expo on the pitch as the disco is very pitchy ;) and a bit less on roll and yaw. I also use a throttle curve. I don't use DR as I want full control for those brown pants moments and eventual loops and rolls. This setup is great for filming and fast flying :)

jamison816
26th September 2012, 09:05 PM
I fly those ntm's you mentioned I like them I'm running 30 amp turnigy plush and 9" props with 3300 4s

SteveCH
26th September 2012, 09:09 PM
I just put an order in for a tbs discovery with the rctimers 750 kv motors and the 9x5 props, my question is do I need Prop adapters and if so which kind?

Efti
27th September 2012, 12:39 AM
From yesterday. Just found some youtube music. Didn't fit so well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4sheInR5So

Iceman
27th September 2012, 04:48 AM
Hi Efti, your Norwegian scenery is so similiar to Scotland. Nice flight.

Ice

Trappy
27th September 2012, 05:29 AM
I just put an order in for a tbs discovery with the rctimers 750 kv motors and the 9x5 props, my question is do I need Prop adapters and if so which kind?
no.

Efti
27th September 2012, 05:41 AM
Hi Efti, your Norwegian scenery is so similiar to Scotland. Nice flight.

Ice

Thanks.
Yes I guess it is :)

Jake Bullit
27th September 2012, 05:47 AM
Could I use the Skywalker 4 in 1 quattro esc on my Disco?

http://www.hobbyhot.com/HOBBYWING-SKYWALKER-QUATTRO-RC-Model-20A-x4-Brushless-Speed-Controller-ESC-SL011.html

How would it be wired up?I`m going to be using Torxpower(tiger) 2216 800 kv with 10x5 graupners.4s power supply.

tenright
27th September 2012, 06:03 AM

Just looking at the cables I got, are the headers wired differently to the solder pad layout?

shadow102
27th September 2012, 06:14 AM
Could I use the Skywalker 4 in 1 quattro esc on my Disco?

http://www.hobbyhot.com/HOBBYWING-SKYWALKER-QUATTRO-RC-Model-20A-x4-Brushless-Speed-Controller-ESC-SL011.html

How would it be wired up?I`m going to be using Torxpower(tiger) 2216 800 kv with 10x5 graupners.4s power supply.

because if the integrated pcb i would suggest running individual esc's out on the arms it will provide a much cleaner install instead of trying to stick that esc unit somewhere in an already crowded frame

tenright
27th September 2012, 06:27 AM
the EzOSD will be hard to get right. I'd suggest to just stay with the TBS CORE on the quad. You can remove the shunt (brown bridge right next to the battery plug) and then install the EzOSD by feednig the power into the current sensor directly from the battery, and back to the other side of that bridge to measure the current nicely without intruding to the clean wiring setup by the discovery.

I hear ya....but can I ask about my wiring plan.

1. Lipo -> EzOSD Current Sensor -> EzOSD
|
|---------------> TBS Frame/Core (via ESC out on EzOSD Current Sensor)

2. TBS69 powered by Core@X1

3. Vtx powered by frame or EzOSD Current Sensor

4. TBS69 Vid output via Vtx solder pads (X2) -> EzOSD input (minus Red)

5. EzOSD Output -> Vtx (minus red)

Thanks in advance Trappy, I know you are really busy. Thanks to anyone else who may also be able to give me some feedback on my plan as well.

(the gopro pictured represents X2 solder pads. The cable from there goes into the EzOSD input)

Trappy
27th September 2012, 07:01 AM
Just looking at the cables I got, are the headers wired differently to the solder pad layout?
yes, they are different :)

LeeB
27th September 2012, 11:09 AM
Hello all,

I have been flying Tim's Delrin tri for a year now (LOS), but I need some help to order a Discovery. I'm not sure what I need to order with the frame & arms. I do know I want the Naza FC w/ GPS, I have a HK KK2 on my tri. I have a DX-8 RC.

Here are a few questions I have before I order.

1. I want a good motor, am I better off getting a Tiger motor or the package available on TBS site? I read TBS will have new escs soon, should I wait on them? I currently have a good supply Plush 25a escs.

2. I want to get started in FPV. What is the difference between the TBS 69 and 59 FPV camera?

3 I am not going to use the ezUHF system, I plan on using a 5.8 Ghz Tx/Rx. But I still need to get the Core, right?

4 I have several 3s 2200 batteries, do I need to go to 4s?

5. I know I need to order appropriate props but what else am I missing?

Thanks for any and all help!

LeeB

Trappy
27th September 2012, 01:32 PM
1. I want a good motor, am I better off getting a Tiger motor or the package available on TBS site? I read TBS will have new escs soon, should I wait on them? I currently have a good supply Plush 25a escs.
we'll carry some tigers as package pretty soon - along with the ESCs. Our ESCs will be 30A. More margin. If you can flash the plush no reason to buy new ESCs.

2. I want to get started in FPV. What is the difference between the TBS 69 and 59 FPV camera?
TBS59 doesnt handle difficult light situations (bright sky, dark ground. flying into sunlight. etc) as well as the TBS69. The TBS69 has more adjustment settings and higher resolution. The TBS59 is cheaper :)

3 I am not going to use the ezUHF system, I plan on using a 5.8 Ghz Tx/Rx. But I still need to get the Core, right?
You do not NEED the CORE, but it certainly makes wiring much easier.

Yes, definitely. 2200mAh is much too small, 4S 2500 or more is recommended. Suggested size is 4S 3300mAh

5. I know I need to order appropriate props but what else am I missing?
Flight control :)

egosession
27th September 2012, 02:07 PM
Hey trap, I saw in the middle of the TBS discovery bottom plate there are some holes. I guess and hope those are made to match with the most common FC pcb boards.

Can you give me the mesurements of them. If I saw right, there are two distances.

I plan to use the disco with a Multiwii warthox board (http://flyduino.net/MWC-Board-matt-black-v2) and it would be nice if they match up. Its from hole to hole 65mm.

Trappy
27th September 2012, 02:13 PM
45mm and 30mm on the edge.

LeeB
27th September 2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks Trappy, I am going to order the Naza w/ GPS. Do you have them bundled toghther? I have been following your site for a couple of months. Some day maybe I will be able to contribute to the group and not just have questions.

Thanks,
LeeB

sickan
27th September 2012, 04:18 PM

I new to this but I love my Discovery, had it for a couple of weeks now :)

After some testing I found that Zippy Compact 4s 4000mAh gives me very good balance with the GoPro in the front. Perfect cg :)

I use Graupner 9x5 props with this setup on Tiger Motors 2216 KV900.

--
S

timnilson
28th September 2012, 06:55 PM
The Discovery frame is now again in stock at GetFPV.com shipping from the USA.

http://www.getfpv.com/team-black-sheep-discovery-quadcopter.html

estiavilla
28th September 2012, 09:27 PM
Hi,

I am new to this, can i use Tiger 2212 750kv on 4s ?
Or must i go next step up to Mt2217 ?

Thanks

MrBob6939
29th September 2012, 03:44 AM
I'm in the market for a TBS Discovery but have to wait another 7 weeks as I promised myself one of these once I've quit smoking 2 months... I've gone a week without a ciggy and confident I'll make it.

Question is, do I have to commit myself to a build standard, I.e, UHF control etc etc OR. can I progressively upgrade when funds permit. Ultimately I'd like UHF Control and 2.4 VTx, altogether in one fell swoop and it'll have to be 6 months I'm off the smokes...

Bob

hover
29th September 2012, 04:35 AM
After some testing I found that Zippy Compact 4s 4000mAh gives me very good balance with the GoPro in the front. Perfect cg :)

Do you push the lipo next to the Naza or just to the back edge to get the perfect cg?
Would be great if you can show a picture of your setup with the lipo inside because I have the same stuff. Thanks!

I also tried to tune the gains but cant feel any difference between Basic Gains: Pitch/Roll 110% to 160%. The movements are almost the same. Is it better to leave it high or low when they feel the same?
Thanks

jamison816
29th September 2012, 06:17 AM
I'm in the market for a TBS Discovery but have to wait another 7 weeks as I promised myself one of these once I've quit smoking 2 months... I've gone a week without a ciggy and confident I'll make it.

Question is, do I have to commit myself to a build standard, I.e, UHF control etc etc OR. can I progressively upgrade when funds permit. Ultimately I'd like UHF Control and 2.4 VTx, altogether in one fell swoop and it'll have to be 6 months I'm off the smokes...

Bob

I was in the same boat bob. I ran my disco on 2.4 spektrum rx and stock fatshark 5.8. I obviously didnt have the range of uhf and 2.4 but still enjoy the setup for shorter range fpv flight. I have gone to UHF now but still waiting on funds to up grade my video.

sickan
29th September 2012, 07:48 AM
Do you push the lipo next to the Naza or just to the back edge to get the perfect cg?
Would be great if you can show a picture of your setup with the lipo inside because I have the same stuff. Thanks!

I also tried to tune the gains but cant feel any difference between Basic Gains: Pitch/Roll 110% to 160%. The movements are almost the same. Is it better to leave it high or low when they feel the same?
Thanks

Here is a couple of pictures and my gains. I also have some expo in the transmitter.

Gains
145 145 120 145
125 125

Expo
E, 40%
A, 40%
R, 20%

--
S

hover
29th September 2012, 07:56 AM
Here is a couple of pictures and my gains. I also have some expo in the transmitter.

Gains
145 145 120 145
125 125

Expo
E, 40%
A, 40%
R, 20%

great, will try them out, Thanks!!
Last question for today :) what GPS XYZ settings do you have?

sickan
29th September 2012, 11:56 AM
I don't remember, will check tonight, Swedish time :)

--
S

hover
29th September 2012, 12:45 PM
I don't remember, will check tonight, Swedish time :)

--
S

Thanks, good we are in the same timezone :)

sickan
29th September 2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks, good we are in the same timezone :)

:)

I have x = -9, y = 0 and z = -11 cm.

--
S

buffythesaint
29th September 2012, 03:51 PM
I received my TBS quad frame parts last week and had the first two FPV flights last night. This ones a keeper, thanks TBS:D. My set up is Roxxy 2827-35 motors, Graupner 9x5 props, SimonK HK F-30 esc's, Naza FC(no gps, bat monitor disabled), Dragon Link, TBS69 camera, TBS Core, 400mw 1280 vtx with LPF and stock omni antenna, mini mic, Hero2 and a Zippy 4000mah 4s 40c pack. RTF weight is 1616g's. Both flights were 13 minutes of airtime and 850mahs left in the packs after the flights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjE1MKotRCo

sickan
29th September 2012, 04:31 PM
I received my TBS quad frame parts last week and had the first two FPV flights last night. This ones a keeper, thanks TBS:D. My set up is Roxxy 2827-35 motors, Graupner 9x5 props, SimonK HK F-30 esc's, Naza FC(no gps, bat monitor disabled), Dragon Link, TBS69 camera, TBS Core, 400mw 1280 vtx with LPF and stock omni antenna, mini mic, Hero2 and a Zippy 4000mah 4s 40c pack. RTF weight is 1616g's. Both flights were 13 minutes of airtime and 850mahs left in the packs after the flights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjE1MKotRCo

Cool!

I see a lot of guys turn off bat mon, what is the main reason for this?

--
S

timnilson
29th September 2012, 06:16 PM
Now available at GetFPV -- along with the Discovery frame -- the TBS Tin RF shield. Like everything else, this ships from New York City, NY.
http://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-frames/discovery/tbs-rf-tin-shield.html

vstanman
29th September 2012, 07:53 PM
sharing Disco flight when a bird tries to attack it a few times

http://youtu.be/8Em6Q029xI4?hd=1

JBoman32768
29th September 2012, 09:02 PM
sharing Disco flight when a bird tries to attack it a few times

http://youtu.be/8Em6Q029xI4?hd=1

The magpies go a bit crazy this time of year - where was that shot?

speedstep
29th September 2012, 10:30 PM
Cool!

I see a lot of guys turn off bat mon, what is the main reason for this?

--
S

Most people fly with Core OSD, so you monitor what's left in the battery. The voltage monitor kicks in the first time the voltage drops under a certain level. If you do a fast ascend the voltage drops enough to trigger even if you got half the battery left.
This is a annoying thing... Especially if you fly manual and then change to atti mode. Voltage monitor is deactivated in manual anyway.

So my Tip deactivate it, it's only helpful if you fly LOS or w/o OSD

vstanman
29th September 2012, 10:52 PM
Malabar area Sydney

The magpies go a bit crazy this time of year - where was that shot?

vstanman
29th September 2012, 10:54 PM
what are you guys doing with regards to props not showing in video from gopro in wide settings? I have graupner 9x5's and the prop still is visible in widest settings.

Trappy
30th September 2012, 05:02 AM
vstanman, add a about 1.5cm of padding to the back of the GoPro.

Trappy
30th September 2012, 05:07 AM

Bob

hey man, good luck with giving up the cigarettes! I can imagine it's not easy. Good thing FPV isn't unhealthy, or we'd all have some serious issues :) no worries on "upgradeability", you don't commit to any frequency with the frame.

tenright
30th September 2012, 08:15 AM
Just finished my TBS Disco today. Maiden test flight tomorrow. LOS for now as i'm still waiting on FPV cam. I do have gopro to vtx cable but happy to wait though while I make sure everything is working as it should!

vstanman
30th September 2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks Trappy will try that

vstanman, add a about 1.5cm of padding to the back of the GoPro.

buffythesaint
30th September 2012, 12:10 PM
Just finished my TBS Disco today. Maiden test flight tomorrow. LOS for now as i'm still waiting on FPV cam. I do have gopro to vtx cable but happy to wait though while I make sure everything is working as it should!

From your picture, it looks like you have your naza compass mounted backwards. Shouldn't the arrow point forwards?

WiseDuck
30th September 2012, 03:02 PM
Long time no post, I flew again today after I replaced the lens on my GoPro camera. This is the craziest thing I've done so far with a quad. 10km car chase, it was insanely fun but pretty damn disorienting. I actually felt a little nauseous at one point because my brain kept getting mixed signals. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdR4bwJNn5k

sickan
30th September 2012, 03:09 PM
I lost my TBS today :( So I need a new one, will order one today, the kit with motors and ESCs. This time I will need arms as well :)

But, what controller do you guys prefer? May this is already discussed.

My old one had Naza with GPS but now I locking at CC3D, arducopter or maybe the big brother WKM.

--
S

Trappy
30th September 2012, 03:16 PM
CC3D is definitely the best of the bunch you mentioned, but too damn hard to get :(

sickan
30th September 2012, 03:21 PM
CC3D is definitely the best of the bunch you mentioned, but too damn hard to get :(

I know :) It blinking "In stock" for a couple of seconds now and then I hear.

--
S

jamison816
30th September 2012, 03:27 PM
Long time no post, I flew again today after I replaced the lens on my GoPro camera. This is the craziest thing I've done so far with a quad. 10km car chase, it was insanely fun but pretty damn disorienting. I actually felt a little nauseous at one point because my brain kept getting mixed signals. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdR4bwJNn5k Sweet video! intense all the way nice job!

Jake Bullit
30th September 2012, 04:12 PM
Got my frame last week,but my esc hadn`t arrived.As I was keen to try it out I assembled it using a a skywalker quattro 4 in 1 esc.The rest of the spec was CC3D,Torxpower 2216 800 kv and graupner 10x 5.
Saturday came and it was quite windy ,but went up anyway,had about 5 successful LOS flights on a small field at the back of the house,but the balance was a bit off as i only had 5000 mah 4s batterys,so it struggled into the wind.
Anyway on about my fifth flight I lost orientation ,and it took off over some greenhouses,I thought i was pulling it back ,but in fact i was sending it further away so I dumped the throttle,and in the distance heard a crashing sound.
I knew there were some commercial greenhouses in that direction so set off on foot to see if anyone was about.
I found the owner and explained what had happened ,he was cool and let me go and look inside.As i had my tx ,i gave it a little throttle and heard it respond.The Disco had smashed right through the roof of the greenhouse!
I retrieved it and went back to apologize to the owner ,telling him i would pay for the damage .Again he was cool and said he would sort it.
I`m going to go back in the week and offer to pay for the repair once he`s had chance to look at it.
All in all not a very good start for my poor disco.
Damage report:
four broken arms,receiver smashed,FPV camera mount missing,four broken graupner 10x5,and damaged TBS bottom plate:(

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/5a056048-70da-4605-a1e5-1770c456c8da.jpg?rnd=0.2492182

Trappy
30th September 2012, 04:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdR4bwJNn5k
very nice video. awesome piloting on some of the "blind corners" there, especially the last one with the touch & go!

Got my frame last week,but my esc hadn`t arrived.As I was keen to try it out I assembled it using a a skywalker quattro 4 in 1 esc.The rest of the spec was CC3D,Torxpower 2216 800 kv and graupner 10x 5.
Saturday came and it was quite windy ,but went up anyway,had about 5 successful LOS flights on a small field at the back of the house,but the balance was a bit off as i only had 5000 mah 4s batterys,so it struggled into the wind.
Anyway on about my fifth flight I lost orientation ,and it took off over some greenhouses,I thought i was pulling it back ,but in fact i was sending it further away so I dumped the throttle,and in the distance heard a crashing sound.
I knew there were some commercial greenhouses in that direction so set off on foot to see if anyone was about.
I found the owner and explained what had happened ,he was cool and let me go and look inside.As i had my tx ,i gave it a little throttle and heard it respond.The Disco had smashed right through the roof of the greenhouse!
I retrieved it and went back to apologize to the owner ,telling him i would pay for the damage .Again he was cool and said he would sort it.
I`m going to go back in the week and offer to pay for the repair once he`s had chance to look at it.
All in all not a very good start for my poor disco.
Damage report:
four broken arms,receiver smashed,FPV camera mount missing,four broken graupner 10x5,and damaged TBS bottom plate:(

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/5a056048-70da-4605-a1e5-1770c456c8da.jpg?rnd=0.2492182
DAMN! now that's a damaged quad. Sorry about that one ... it must have hit very hard to go through a window :(

Jake Bullit
30th September 2012, 04:44 PM
Glad I hadn`t spent a lot of time soldering all the headers on:)

Iceman
30th September 2012, 05:09 PM
WiseDuck you need to change your user name to Cat ...something LOL.

A cat has nine lives and you used most of them. Wicked

DesJardins
30th September 2012, 05:09 PM
From your picture, it looks like you have your naza compass mounted backwards. Shouldn't the arrow point forwards?
Yup, needs to be spun 180degrees.

Can't wait to get a Discovery!

WiseDuck
1st October 2012, 03:12 AM
WiseDuck you need to change your user name to Cat ...something LOL.

A cat has nine lives and you used most of them. Wicked

Thanks! :P Im a little surprised by the feedback so far. I know some frown upon this kind of flying, but most people like the video. Still, next time we'll stick to smaller dirt roads and whatnot, it's safer that way. And also more fun. Flying inside the city like that is somewhat risky.

Jake Bullit
1st October 2012, 03:22 AM
This is the video of when my Disco dissapeared through the greenhouse roof:(
The greenhouses you can see are old and run down,the crash site was behind these in a modern commercial operation.
I lose it at about 4:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaQPB2pDrfY&feature=player_embedded

OOOSREN
1st October 2012, 11:57 AM
Looks pretty windy there Jake. As if the wind got under the disco and just blew it away ! Were you in GPS mode ?

kloner
1st October 2012, 12:18 PM
looked like too much wind for it

i went to a funfly this weekend,,,, flew off out over the pacific. The rf interference at this spot was unreal, was more of an exaduraded los flight, but still got a little fun in. Changed to a different servo in the gimble and it's still sucks. I think naza gimble control is just a pig. theres nothing smooth about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzvQ5rEZHX0

Jake Bullit
1st October 2012, 12:36 PM
Looks pretty windy there Jake. As if the wind got under the disco and just blew it away ! Were you in GPS mode ?

No GPS ,just flying in atti,brand new setup with CC3D.It was very windy,I should have waited for a calmer day,but I lost orientation,and thought I was pitching it back to me ,when I was actually pushing it further down wind at a rate of knots .Before I knew it,it was out of my sight,and went down through the greenhouse roof:(
If I`d had GPS I could`ve hit RTH ,and would`ve been safe.

hover
1st October 2012, 01:13 PM
Just got my super smooth first TBS Discovery flight and its great :) Absolute no jello or vibrations with my hard mounted GoPro2 and Graupners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q464DTh30Bk&list=UUG4oEWtf0qhg7b6waB_l_UQ&index=1&feature=plcp

kloner
1st October 2012, 01:25 PM
looks good, it has that 10" prop wobble to it

DesJardins
1st October 2012, 04:14 PM
Looking for some clarification on the Core option before I order.

Is the core "REALLY" going to be worth the extra $ if I am using EzUHF, not just my regular radio gear? I'm not trying to break records and just want to transplant my FPV gear to this Discovery frame for more room and a better flying FPV quad?

Thanks for the info as this is pretty new for me and I'd like to keep it simple if possible; just need the room as this is a tight fit :-/

What's up Kloner!

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu168/desjardinsjon/DJI%20F450/B475B917-A72E-42EE-897E-92CC6B70F81F-2744-00000169AFB40D76.jpg

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu168/desjardinsjon/DJI%20F450/89D205AC-02FF-4CD3-9F02-EE2874907E3F-2017-000000FB71E0B9FC.jpg

sickan
1st October 2012, 04:29 PM
I put a order on a Disco yesterday, hoping on a quick delivery :) Can't get a CC3D right now so I will try this one with APM 2.5.

I was very happy with my last one but I used the Naza controller on that one.

--
S

kloner
1st October 2012, 04:54 PM
it will make your video signal clearer and it really cleans up all the wiring

http://rchelicollective.com/zen/cache/kloner/TBS%20Discovery/%233/012%20%281024x768%29_595.jpg

all that's missing there is a ppm wire from the back through the top board, an rssi wire form the same area and the vtx wire

http://rchelicollective.com/zen/cache/kloner/TBS%20Discovery/%233/030%20%281024x768%29_595.jpg

http://rchelicollective.com/zen/cache/kloner/TBS%20Discovery/%233/026%20%281024x767%29_595.jpg

look at that, that's everything............

just click "add to cart"

sup des,,,,

Trappy
1st October 2012, 05:40 PM
Looking for some clarification on the Core option before I order.

Is the core "REALLY" going to be worth the extra $ if I am using EzUHF, not just my regular radio gear? I'm not trying to break records and just want to transplant my FPV gear to this Discovery frame for more room and a better flying FPV quad?

Thanks for the info as this is pretty new for me and I'd like to keep it simple if possible; just need the room as this is a tight fit :-/

What's up Kloner!

Cleans up your wiring, more range and better picture. If you use UHF you may want to fly out a bit more. Fly a little more crazy stuff. That's where the CORE helps. You don't REALLY need it, obviously, you don't REALLY need graupner props either :)

DesJardins
1st October 2012, 05:59 PM
LOL, after flying DJI props I'd say I needed Graupners! Yikes

I hear you guys, just looking to get into the nice frame but the $ keeps going up and well sometimes the extra $$$ makes a difference. I appreciate the insight and info on the core from you guys.

Since I won't be using UHF & I'm not to concerned with wiring at this point it's a bit much jumping into FPV like I did. The frame alone will help me a great deal with space, better weight distribution & I'll be able to get my AV "Tx" away from all the other stuff.

Thanks!

Trappy
1st October 2012, 06:04 PM
keep in mind this is a hobby. If you can't easily afford it, please don't buy it. You'll have something in the air you can't afford to crash. It will ruin the fun. Just my 5c. I'm a student, when I started out I didn't have the cash to get the nicest OSD and the best PSU. I had fun within my limitations, grew as a pilot and the occasional crash didn't keep me out of the air too long. this is what you should focus on.

kloner
1st October 2012, 06:05 PM
tim has em in stock so there fast and easy to get

DesJardins
1st October 2012, 06:08 PM
keep in mind this is a hobby. If you can't easily afford it, please don't buy it. You'll have something in the air you can't afford to crash. It will ruin the fun. Just my 5c. I'm a student, when I started out I didn't have the cash to get the nicest OSD and the best PSU. I had fun within my limitations, grew as a pilot and the occasional crash didn't keep me out of the air too long. this is what you should focus on.

Hmmmm, guess I put off the indication I can't afford what I have.
:shrug:

I just don't want to spend extra $ that will not benefit my actual experience being my first FPV flyer.
Thanks for the input though...

Trappy
1st October 2012, 06:15 PM
didn't want to imply that. it's also not so much about what you can afford but what you're willing to spend.

FPV FLYER
1st October 2012, 06:16 PM
keep in mind this is a hobby..... You'll have something in the air you can't afford to crash. It will ruin the fun.

Excellent advice. It should be printed on all FPV packaging, just like the warning on cigarette packs ;)

DesJardins
1st October 2012, 06:18 PM
didn't want to imply that. it's also not so much about what you can afford but what you're willing to spend.

No worries!
That's exactly why I asked about the benefits, thanks for the info once again guys. I'll be ordering soon
:)

sveininge
1st October 2012, 06:28 PM
I donīt understand what i do wrong with my TBS, i get vibrations and jello bigtime , and I have tried 2 motor setups.

rctimer motors 750 kv
graupners 10x5
green magic gel stuf

everything is like what ppl use on the disc, but its jello from hell :(.

Now iam going to try sunnsky motors 800 kv from epbuddy.com letīs hope that will fix my problems :(

kloner
1st October 2012, 06:29 PM
not having any osd for the power used would be my deciding factor. Ican hover 14 minutes, i can fly 6-7...... I'll vary from 20 amps to 70 amps and all in between. with no way to at least have an educated guess is gonna leave alot of gas in the tank or it'll LVC flying by time sooner or later,,,,

I haven't had the pleasure to wad up one of trappy's frames, but i've seen some doosies on here where it looks like a taco. They are definately thinner and don't seem as chrash worthy as a stock f450 frame. But there light as hell, think my stocker is 1600 grams loaded with 4000 mah and with 100 gram motors. Probably why it goes so frigin fast

sveininge (http://fpvlab.com/forums/member.php?619-sveininge), whats your rubber band setup like?

Trappy
1st October 2012, 06:33 PM
sveininge, as kloner said. try varying the strenghth of rubber bands. one thing I also do is set the discovery on the bed (to isolate the cross-vibrations) and then put it into failsafe with idle throttle. then touch the motors to feel if any of them are bust, or a prop is severely unbalanced, etc. it's fairly easy to get working that way. if you've had a bad crash you may need to replace a motor.

renato
1st October 2012, 06:53 PM
Well, I did not buy the Core and regret it. I have lot's of problems with my OSD losing satellites and Wookong GPS strange behavior.
I did not buy it because it looked complex, now I have to deal with much more complexity :(
There is just to little space, wires everywere. That's not a TBS problem but a quad's problem of course.

blkspade
1st October 2012, 07:03 PM
Just wanted to share a few videos from my honeymoon!
Didn't get my set of graupners in time, nor did i plan for it to be 25mph winds the whole time lol. Still was a blast.

http://youtu.be/q6tP9Rn7yaU?hd=1

http://youtu.be/riKK7pVEzrI

Second to last day i really wanted to tape the cows, and did probably one of my best FPV flights yet. Did not turn the gopro on. We were both devastated lol. Last day i went back and got a few minutes of it. They were pretty far out in the fields.

Came home to my graupners in the mail, and have to say all the vibration issues went away.Time to go back!

kloner
1st October 2012, 07:22 PM
I burned up my first disco buying the parts seperate and soldering them in myself. within a minute i had a fire. So while waited i tried to build disco with an osd and no core. It flew, but i had alot of the same things, especialy sattelite locks took forever if at all. Dropped the sat links alot, weird. My video was alright, and my flight rc was fine, but it gets messy fast.

To fly aggresively for me it takes a really solid link. When things aren't the best they can be dropping down to 3-4 feet at a 1/4 mile even becomes an impossible task, but you get these things as good as possible, you can really get down low far out,,,,, realy low so if that's something your inspiring to do, even the more reason...... I think the only place you can get them pre installed is from trappy and for $10, is the cheapest insurance your gonna get to have it work. it is so small i'm convinced i just can't solder that small

DesJardins
1st October 2012, 07:27 PM
ordering the frame to at a minimum have room and better balance ability...
US distributer works for me

Trappy
1st October 2012, 07:29 PM
blkspade, that's for sure the best way to do a honeymoon. what a nice place, great videos lovely vibe! inspired!

kloner, I don't think anyone can solder these fast enough to allow a $10 install fee :) I do them 20 at a time, it's a great way to relax in front of the TV for me :) We do offer the cores pre-soldered to retailers too now, though. stock always takes some time to travel.

kloner
1st October 2012, 07:58 PM
whatever it is well worth it..... damn things so small kloner needs a magnifying glass, bright light, look like magoo with that thing in my hand

Trappy
1st October 2012, 08:00 PM
haha. sounds like you need a nice soldering iron :) I just swipe the pads once with plenty of flux and solder. "like magic", as the people watching me describe it :)

kloner
1st October 2012, 08:04 PM
look at that guy
http://rchelicollective.com/zen/zp-core/full-image.php?a=kloner%2Ffunfly%2Fdavesbeach&i=kloner+at+daves+beach.JPG&q=75&wmk=!&dsp=Protected%20view

wtf, is that santa? oh, man what a fat some bitch...... can you tell i've been a mr mom for 4 years, got 2 babbies, looks like i still need to deliver one

http://rchelicollective.com/zen/zp-core/full-image.php?a=kloner%2Ffunfly%2Fdavesbeach&i=kloner+at+daves+beach3.JPG&q=75&wmk=!&dsp=Protected%20view

http://rchelicollective.com/zen/zp-core/i.php?a=kloner/funfly/davesbeach&i=kloner+at+daves+beach2.JPG&s=795&q=85&wmk=!

you'd think i'm an alcoholic, always got a red solo cup in the frame
http://rchelicollective.com/zen/cache/kloner/funfly/davesbeach/DSC00097_795.jpg

Don't forget your TBS Discovery decals
http://www.secure.waterfowldecals.com/images/tbsdisco.png

http://www.secure.waterfowldecals.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71&products_id=435

kloner
1st October 2012, 08:07 PM
haha. sounds like you need a nice soldering iron :) I just swipe the pads once with plenty of flux and solder. "like magic", as the people watching me describe it :)

got a brand new weller digital.... f' it, you can do em,,, you seen the results

Trappy
1st October 2012, 08:08 PM
kloner, can you send me 50 of these stickers? looks like I've changed my mind about 'em :) got the Weller WX2021 here. loving it :)

Trappy
1st October 2012, 08:12 PM
here you go, some soldering station porn :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbIPIh4kK_U

kloner
1st October 2012, 08:14 PM
dammit, now my screens all shot out...... yea mines not quite that nice,,,,,,,

You got it...... little white ones or want an assortment of colors?

Trappy
1st October 2012, 08:15 PM
yeah random assortment of colors :)

kingiggy
1st October 2012, 10:06 PM
Don't forget your TBS Discovery decals
http://www.secure.waterfowldecals.com/images/tbsdisco.png

http://www.secure.waterfowldecals.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71&products_id=435

Got a couple for my Bolton Tools case and they are great stickers!

Boonzie
2nd October 2012, 03:12 AM
Howdy all,

I've got a Discovery with stock DJI motors/ESC/Naza+GPS running with 10" Graupners on a 3s battery with GoPro and FPV cam. I'm running it with Trappy's recommended settings.

It is weight balanced on the CoG mark on the frame and is really stable, but after forward flying in att mode, it really kicks back hard after releasing the sticks. Backwards/sideways doesn't do it nearly as bad.

Is this normal for the Discovery?

Burg
2nd October 2012, 03:55 AM
http://rchelicollective.com/zen/zp-core/full-image.php?a=kloner%2Ffunfly%2Fdavesbeach&i=kloner+at+daves+beach3.JPG&q=75&wmk=!&dsp=Protected%20view

Kloner, can you give some details of all the tripod antennas you are using ?
Thanks, Mark.

Jessestr
2nd October 2012, 08:37 AM
Not for the weak and sensitive minds.. Got my 900KV's from team blacksheep..

http://devbase.be/team-blacksheep-900kv-motor/

Teacup
2nd October 2012, 08:49 AM
Not for the weak and sensitive minds.. Got my 900KV's from team blacksheep..

http://devbase.be/team-blacksheep-900kv-motor/

That was fast shipping :o
How do they perform, if you were able to bench test or something so far?

Jessestr
2nd October 2012, 08:58 AM
I'll post when I've done changing the motors on my TBS. Currently changing them so won't be long :D

Burg
2nd October 2012, 08:58 AM
Not for the weak and sensitive minds.. Got my 900KV's from team blacksheep.. http://devbase.be/team-blacksheep-900kv-motor/

What did you made decide for the 900kv and not the 750kv ? There is quite some price diff..

Trappy, should the 750kv set be sufficient for 'normal low speed fpv flights and' (I'm not in for the speed).

Mark.

Jessestr
2nd October 2012, 09:01 AM
Because they are tiger motors :D Much better quality, stronger and more powerful :)

Trappy
2nd October 2012, 09:05 AM
I fly 750's on 4S for my long range, but that's because I'm not good enough of a pilot to handle the added power - at least that's what the other TBS lads say (who all fly 900's :) )

philippe
2nd October 2012, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=WiseDuck;148911]Long time no post, I flew again today after I replaced the lens on my GoPro camera. This is the craziest thing I've done so far with a quad. 10km car chase, it was insanely fun but pretty damn disorienting. I actually felt a little nauseous at one point because my brain kept getting mixed signals. :rolleyes:

What a impresive and high speed flight, nice ! What kind of control board are you using, Naza ?

sickan
2nd October 2012, 09:55 AM
I fly 750's on 4S for my long range, but that's because I'm not good enough of a pilot to handle the added power - at least that's what the other TBS lads say (who all fly 900's :) )

I just placed an order for the 750, you did not have the 900 kit then. I would like to change that, do you think it is possible? Or have you already processed the order?

--
S

Jessestr
2nd October 2012, 10:03 AM
Just flew the 900.. Insane is not the right word. It's even better than insane. I love them!

DesJardins
2nd October 2012, 10:30 AM
The biggest thing is you don't "have" to use the power but it's nice to have when you want it.

Burg
2nd October 2012, 10:40 AM
Trappy, I just placed the order for the 900kv-set.
Looking forward to receive and use them !

fstclyz
2nd October 2012, 12:48 PM
here you go, some soldering station porn :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbIPIh4kK_U

Now that's a soldering station. I never knew what I was missing until a bought a $100 Hakko. I can't imagine how nice this unit would be. Looks like $700 on Amazon....

fstclyz
2nd October 2012, 12:56 PM
The biggest thing is you don't "have" to use the power but it's nice to have when you want it.

I agree. My slogan with my gun is "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it"..... ; )

DesJardins
2nd October 2012, 01:08 PM
I agree. My slogan with my gun is "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it"..... ; )

Yup, same thing I tell my CA friends when they visit and it's a new thing to see me carry 24/7.
Welcome to AZ I tell them! ;-)

Jessestr
2nd October 2012, 03:01 PM
For the folks that just can't get enough..

Click for big view (http://www.imgdumper.nl/uploads6/506b39eab0726/506b39eab0337-IMG_3489.JPG)
http://www.imgdumper.nl/uploads6/506b39eab0726/506b39eab0337-IMG_3489.JPG

kloner
2nd October 2012, 03:53 PM
those are sick

shadow102
2nd October 2012, 04:41 PM
good looking motors, just dont know if i can justify $200 worth of motor on my quad though

renato
2nd October 2012, 04:48 PM
I tried to build disco with an osd and no core. It flew, but i had alot of the same things, especialy sattelite locks took forever if at all. Dropped the sat links alot, weird. My video was alright, and my flight rc was fine, but it gets messy fast.

Exactly the same here! Result of today (my second TBS).

My next one will include the Core. Solder by Trappy off course :)

For now... let's see what epoxy can do...

Wise_Man
2nd October 2012, 04:50 PM
What is the weight of those new 900 Kv TBS motors?

Jake Bullit
2nd October 2012, 04:54 PM
Exactly the same here! Result of today (my second TBS).

My next one will include the Core. Solder by Trappy off course :)

For now... let's see what epoxy can do...

I don't feel so bad now :rolleyes:

Sorry bud :(

Burg
2nd October 2012, 05:05 PM
What is the weight of those new 900 Kv TBS motors?

If these are indeed Tiger MT2216-11 like Jessestr wrote, they should be approx 74gr without wires.

Jessestr
2nd October 2012, 06:57 PM
Aprox. like that yes.

It's just well spent money. I used much brands of motors and tigers is still the best you can get for a good price. It's maybe a little more expensive but it's quality you..
Don't hesistate to get a TBS 900kv set.. Really look neat on the DISCO.. All black love it!

DesJardins
3rd October 2012, 12:11 AM
T motors are well worth the cash...

Burg
3rd October 2012, 03:00 AM
I hope they are in better balance and have better bearings then my NTM 2826 1200kv. But what I read in this (GREAT) thread, I have no worries :cool:. Looking forward to test the esc's as well.

Btw thanks guys for this valuable info here and specially Trappy and the TBS crew for this fantastic disco frame.

tesc0
3rd October 2012, 04:19 AM
Would be great to see other peoples settings for Openpilot CC. Now that there are ESC and motor packages from TBS it shouldn't be too difficult to have a "plug and play" setup on the common gear.

Teacup
3rd October 2012, 05:09 AM
Would be great to see other peoples settings for Openpilot CC. Now that there are ESC and motor packages from TBS it shouldn't be too difficult to have a "plug and play" setup on the common gear.

+1 would love that

Trappy
3rd October 2012, 07:09 AM
I just placed an order for the 750, you did not have the 900 kit then. I would like to change that, do you think it is possible? Or have you already processed the order?

--
S
sickan, send me an e-mail I'll get the order changed ASAP.

the 750kV motor set is what enthlapy has suggested for the DISCO. Given that CC3D board uses the power much better, I would almost be inclined to say that the 750kV on the CC3D are about the same performance as the 900kV with the Naza. At least there's not much difference :) Now, the settings for the 750kV are posted already in enthlapy's build thread (link at www.team-blacksheep.com/discovery)

Jake Bullit
3rd October 2012, 07:17 AM
Check this threa from ENTHLAPY:

http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/10613-tbs-discovery-beta-build-log/page__hl__%20discovery__st__240

vstanman
3rd October 2012, 07:24 AM
Trappy, will the new motors and esc's be available to buy from Drone Vision?

Trappy
3rd October 2012, 07:35 AM
that's something you need to ask dronesvision :) they are in our shop with retailer pricing available

vstanman
3rd October 2012, 07:41 AM
the only thing I like getting your products from drone vosion is the fast shipment to Australia but in anycase I will get it from your shop.

Cheers

zozolione
3rd October 2012, 11:07 AM
Hi Guys

Looks like I've to update my disco buying the new power setup, how about the gimbal for the Gopro, what is the best Gimbal for the Disco at the moment, may the Xaircraft?

kloner
3rd October 2012, 11:12 AM
what are you trying to do with it?

jamison816
3rd October 2012, 11:23 AM
14976 what we came up with to mount the servo city gimbal without cutting the frame. Have yet to see how it flies waiting on batteries to balance it out. The only goal here is to use the gopro as the flight cam and fpv cam and be able to pan down while in GPS mode with the naza fc

kloner
3rd October 2012, 11:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsUkqDulI2Q

just bolted the whole case and all to the top of my disco and it records 1080p outta the box..... It so doesn't fit the frame though

zozolione
3rd October 2012, 03:50 PM
what are you trying to do with it?

some good vid's:)

kloner
3rd October 2012, 03:54 PM
i get that, i mean what are you gonna carry? planning going fast or ap video work? theres alot of options and that one you show is huge...... really slow her down. the tilt only on the nose is ok, but i never found a majic combo of servos and gimbles to make it totaly perfect, but got close......

what are you gonna do with it? dslr? mirrorless? gopro?

zozolione
3rd October 2012, 04:03 PM
Well the Disco is in my opinion one of the best choice of FPV quads (price-perform). So it makes alot of fun to fly fpv.

Just the wobbeling and shaking vid's of my gopro beginning to suck, cause I'am at a point where I would like to go for a bit more quality.

May something between the DJI Zenmuse Z15 and the cheaper Xaircraft Gopro Gimbal will be soon on the market, and it fits on the Disco, that would be perfect.

kloner
3rd October 2012, 04:35 PM
keep an eye on 2 products coming out,,,,, there is a dji hero gimble that's just like the z15, due out soon and theres the photohigher gimbles, hero 1000 would do....... I think i'm gonna do one of those two without landing gear so it's a hand launch land kinda thing...........

Theres the servo city tilt gimble, but man, it's no where near what your talking about

this was mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp_vZ6Sh8CQ

but hanging a gimble under her is gonna be a total game changer...... she probably won't tilt up on end so far with something like naza

Jcoahran
3rd October 2012, 06:41 PM
I received the following from the folks at PhotoHigher regarding their upcoming gimbals.

Cheers,
Joe

The Hero series gimbals are still under development and will be available near the end of this year (Hopefully). The Hero gimbals are also going to be quite a lot more expensive than the AV130/200 gimbals.

The production of these Gimbals is based on pre-ordered sales coming in from the global market.

- The price range will be from NZ$4,000+ (Hero 1000), NZ$5-10,000 (Hero 2000) to NZ $30-50,000 (Hero 3000), prices to be released on our website once the Gimbals are completed.

renato
3rd October 2012, 07:05 PM
Trappy, can I use the 750kV motors instead of the standard 450 motors so leaving the standard ESC's? Will they work together without any problems? Just plug an play? Watching the pricetag on your website they are in the same range as the original DJI 450's.

kloner
3rd October 2012, 07:12 PM
wait for the dji version, like always, it'll be cheap, looks just like z15. Trappy can probably get em for us when they come out. I heard $500-$1k

renato
3rd October 2012, 08:03 PM
Hello Kloner, will do. Thanks!

kloner
3rd October 2012, 08:28 PM
renato, i'm sorry, that was at the gimble post before yours. they have a zenmuse hero gimble coming out

your esc's will handle the load..... trappys will fly it smoother with higher gains