PDA

View Full Version : Tuning confusion. Jerky flight. A little help please?

kassysimon
27th January 2018, 12:01 AM
Hi all.
I have been flying an IRC Vortex 285 on and off for a while but I've always struggled with flying smoothly.

I started off just using the IRC presets and began adjusting the rate and expo to speed up flips and rolls but I still struggle to fly around corners smoothly and I can't follow a track at all.

So my questions are: Do I adjust the PIDs or expo and rates to increase my level of control?

What is the difference between tuning PIDs versus expos and rates?

For instance, I find it hard to control the throttle enough for a smooth landing. Do I adjust throttle expo only to help here? Do I just keep changing values until I'm comfortable with the throttle response or is there a method to follow?

I also find that rather than flying smoothly into a corner I fly in jerks of movements. Yaw left a little, yaw left a little, pitch up a little, yaw left a little and so on. But it's not a smooth entry nor exit. Do I adjust PIDs here?

I guess I'm confused because I don't understand tuning. The IRC presets should fly well (and I trust they do) but I'm still a jerky pilot.

Thanks for your help.