PDA

View Full Version : Ground system for foothills in ca - first purchase

Kruegra1
1st January 2016, 03:11 PM
I want to utilize an fpv system on the ground right now, I need a range of 1000 yards or so and if longer to 1700 that would be great. I was looking at a portable system like a fatshark kit off hobbyking, the teleporter or the unit just above that.

My question is, can I is use a fatshark as a base setup, would this be a wise pick? What antennas should I upgrade to if necessary? . If a kit isn't a good idea and individual components are a better choice, let me know.

Few secondary considerations, I may use it later on in one my planes down the road. And I'd like to get something good enough (quality and modular enough) to upgrade efficiently as necessary down the road.

Thanks, and I did post an intro but don't see it posted yet.

Slowpoke in Dublin
2nd January 2016, 05:30 AM
Getting a good video signal for a ground vehicle is a lot more challenging than an aircraft because of getting through/around obstacles, and the antenna being so close to the ground. If you are on absolutely flat ground with no obstructions, 5.8ghz will give you the best QUALITY of video, but limited range. 1000 yards on the ground might be hard to get with 5.8 unless conditions are great and you use a good directional antenna. If you have any hills, trees, buildings, etc. in the way, you'll need a lower frequency that has better penetration, like 1.3. On by quadcopter, I can get 3.5 miles on 5.8, but that's in the air. BIG difference!

Since your transmitter antenna on a ground vehicle is only a foot or so off the ground, getting the receiver antenna as high as possible is key. I have a tripod that extends to 14 feet, and wish it were higher. Sometimes I put the tripod in the bed of my truck to gain a couple of extra feet in height.

Here is my setup that I use with my Summit X-Maxx and Summit trucks:

On the truck: RMRC 1.5 watt 1.3ghz TX with a IBCrazy Mad Mushroom antenna. RMRC Pro 700 camera.

Ground station: 2 RMRC 1.3 receivers hooked up to an Oracle diversity controller. I have an IBCrazy Pepperbox on one and an Horizon Fan antenna on the other. I have a Fatshark 5.8ghz 25mw relay to beam the signal back to my Fatshark HD2 goggles. The diversity may be a little overkill, but hey, it's winter in Ohio, too windy to fly my helis, so I don't have anything else to do. :rolleyes:

For control, I'm using an EZUHF system on my FlySky GT3C radio. I haven't found the range limit yet because I'm limited by the video signal.

I'm experimenting with Linear Polarized antennas like the Yagi. Most people will tell you Circular Polarized is the way to go, but there are so many variables, such as noise floor, and obstacles, that there is no "best", especially on a ground vehicle.

So far, I've been out 1/3 mile, in a mobile home park, so there are lots of metal obstructions in the way. I sit on my front porch and can run my truck up and down the 3 streets that are in the park.

The video isn't great, but good enough to get around. Still have a lot of experimenting to do.

Fatshark is good equipment, and ReadyMadeRC is a great place to get quality stuff.

Doug

Kruegra1
5th January 2016, 12:16 AM
Thanks