PDA

View Full Version : 4' boat for FPV?

Scotttu
9th July 2015, 12:21 AM
I am wanting to do this boat thing still. More now than ever since the wind has been pretty rough this year but not so bad on the water.

At work they have an interest in what I can do as they are going to do something similiar for a relay station but for me it's just about fun.

Looking for something that can go through a ship wake, 3-5' tall wake and survive even if NOT at throttle.

Cigarette style, PT style, something with some deck space to carry some other equipment.

I've s een that they have water cooled motors and ESC's now as well, which will rock as I can keep 99% of the gear under a dry deck with 20,000mah of battery.

Goal is to be able to do 3 miles out and back.....

This is where I live. And Yes, the mountain on the left is a target for my Z2. :) Just need to get out there when the forest fires and dry season pass.

http://ridgetoriveroutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Puget_Sound.jpg

jrwperformance
9th July 2015, 12:46 AM
Not sure about the type of boat... Maybe a twin hull catamaran style would be stable. Since weight is not much of an issue, lots of batteries will get you whatever distance. And there's that whole water being flat thing... Radio signal and range would be awesome in calm water. Hmm...this Fpv boat thing keeps looking cooler and cooler.

boopidoo
9th July 2015, 02:44 AM
Yes, water is (somewhat) flat but you'll have loads of reflections due to fresnel zone vialations.

Making the antennas really long on the boat might help a lot though. A catamaran will help with the polarisation.

Scotttu
15th July 2015, 09:17 PM
Not interessted in a catamaran, more single hull cigarette or PT style boat.

As for reflection, agreed but we have a solution for that and it's tested out beyond 1 mile so it's not an issue - bluebeams and slight elevation work well.

Something like this might work, 51" long - that's just over 4'!!

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/dum/dum1218.htm

http://web4.hobbylinc.com/gr/dum/dum1218.jpg

Ssendam
6th August 2015, 12:35 AM
I would almost do a speed style boat so it can self right after loosing it on a wave/wake. I've thought about flying over there just haven't had the time to make a day trip across the ferries. Its on my list though!

c5galaxy engineer
6th August 2015, 10:26 AM
Subbed.......ya know cuz Scott is always doing cool stuff.
I have wanted to do a submersible for my pond that I can sit on the couch and use the 50" for my monitor. I have been thinking about a goose or duck FPV decoy as well to infiltrate the flock and find out what they say about me when Im not feeding them. Yup.......I'm on board (pun intended) with this thread!

chatch
6th August 2015, 12:05 PM
i always wanted to submerge myself in water while flying

serac
6th August 2015, 02:06 PM
A very cool project. I'm curious to see how it all works out.

What kind of water do you want to swim in? I'm guessing salt water, but not the open ocean? It may help to look at sea state wave height numbers. I'm thinking you are going to normally be on the edge of a Fresnel zone. So, with any drop in water height, your video may cut out. Would a fairly tall video antenna be best? 900 MHz?

Willnewton
6th August 2015, 02:43 PM
That warship is sweet, but check that there is some actual useable hull underneath that will work at that scale. I built a 4-foot RC model of the battleship Missouri when I was younger. It was a scale model, but was essentially a flat bottom boat that would only float in a near wave free environment. A hull design for a 45,000 ton battleship does not scale down to a foot four model and perform realistically. I would look for a something designed specifically for RC.

Blizzard1287
6th August 2015, 04:07 PM
Subbed, Just because I want to see how ya do it :)

chatch
6th August 2015, 05:02 PM
make an airboat from foam board

papabatman
6th August 2015, 05:19 PM
i learned to scuba dive up there in the sound. i like your idea i myshelf was thinking more like this kinda of set up.

Nailer
31st August 2015, 12:14 PM
What about an "aircraft carrier" type deck, with a weighted keel similar to a sailboat. Due to the size difference as well as actual displacement value, it'd float properly, you have the height of the superstructure, and the cargo-capacity of both the deck as well as in the hull.

The rest of the "other flight abilities of carried aircraft" is for a whole other discussion. I was serious in the hull-design and cargo-carrying deck abilities. You are not really wanting to go "symetrically scale here" due to the differences of displacement.

Right?