PDA

View Full Version : Axial Yeti

jinx
24th June 2015, 06:28 AM
Anyone have FPV experience with Axial Yeti (1/10 size) yet?

I'm considering of getting one for slower trail driving in FPV and just general LOS bashing. Is there enough room in the cabin to fit standard size board cam and vtx? Are there any problems with FPV in mind? Pics of setups would be great! :)

I know Summit would be the common suggestion, but for some reason I'm liking the Yeti. And why not Wraith too, so comments on that are also welcome (although I think the lack of speed could kill the interest).

jinx
1st July 2015, 01:35 AM
Yeti in 1/10 size hasn't been done too many times yet, I assume...

Decided to go with Wraith Spawn instead of Yeti. Most likely works better for FPV because of the slower speed capabilities, but hoping to get enough speed out of it on 3s for other use too.:)

wavekatcher
1st July 2015, 10:11 AM
I have my Wraith setup for FPV. Lots of fun. I have my camera inside the cabin mounted on top of a servo for pan movement. I have a mix programmed so the camera turns when I steer.

I also have a Tonka Summit. The Wraith gets more use due to the simplicity of setup.

Pushjerk
1st July 2015, 05:55 PM
+1 for the Wraith. Picked up a Spawn RTR from Tower Hobbies several months back. Price tag was way easier to swallow than the Summit - 330 shipped after Tower discount. Though the Summit is cool, I prefer the more scale appearance of the Wraith.

The Yeti seems like a blast to drive. Def no slouch in the power department. But I went Wraith for the following reasons:
- Obstacles over speed. Since this was to be an FPV rover, technical crawling ability and obstacle clearance were most important - Speed was not a huge factor for me, as my primary terrain is not smooth and any speed on other than smooth surface is pretty sucky when driving FPV. And the stock 20T motor in the Wraith gives plenty of speed on 3S (for my taste).
- Gear mounting. The Wraith's tube style chassis and roll cage (all one unit) is pretty ideal for mounting gear. The other trucks in the Axial lineup for the most part have stand alone chassis with roll cages attached to the body - not beefy and sturdy like the wraith. Wraith's body has tunes galore for zip-tying anything to them, and screw holes everywhere for mounting gear as well. I made a quick gear plate out of MDF and screwed it into the holes where the "interior" originally was. Other mounting options I have seen (such as the RMRC style) use the stock battery tray location, which offers plenty of options too.

So yeah, Wraith is money IMO.

jinx
2nd July 2015, 02:58 AM
+1 for the Wraith. Picked up a Spawn RTR from Tower Hobbies several months back. Price tag was way easier to swallow than the Summit - 330 shipped after Tower discount. Though the Summit is cool, I prefer the more scale appearance of the Wraith.

The Yeti seems like a blast to drive. Def no slouch in the power department. But I went Wraith for the following reasons:
- Obstacles over speed. Since this was to be an FPV rover, technical crawling ability and obstacle clearance were most important - Speed was not a huge factor for me, as my primary terrain is not smooth and any speed on other than smooth surface is pretty sucky when driving FPV. And the stock 20T motor in the Wraith gives plenty of speed on 3S (for my taste).
- Gear mounting. The Wraith's tube style chassis and roll cage (all one unit) is pretty ideal for mounting gear. The other trucks in the Axial lineup for the most part have stand alone chassis with roll cages attached to the body - not beefy and sturdy like the wraith. Wraith's body has tunes galore for zip-tying anything to them, and screw holes everywhere for mounting gear as well. I made a quick gear plate out of MDF and screwed it into the holes where the "interior" originally was. Other mounting options I have seen (such as the RMRC style) use the stock battery tray location, which offers plenty of options too.

So yeah, Wraith is money IMO.

Do you run with the plastic body on? I'm wondering if it affects visibility. On the other hand it should give some protection against dirt for cam and vtx.

Any pics of your setups (wavekatcher & Pushjerk)?

Pushjerk
2nd July 2015, 05:25 AM
I do run it with the plastic body on - it most certainly affects visibility - feels like you're driving in a car. Def not like the flight cam on the nose of my wing. Will get around to some pics tomorrow.

Pushjerk
3rd July 2015, 04:22 AM
Here are a few snaps of the truck.

Wraith Spawn RTR with a few upgrades - it's completely capable and plenty of truck out of the box for FPV, I just got a little froggy. Note the gopro Hero2 in the drivers seat. It sits atop a GWS Sailwinch servo, the 360 pan is killer - great for keeping SA, driving in reverse, etc. previously there was a Mobius, which is way way better as it has a lower profile, and much easier to squeeze in the cab. Unfortunately that was lost out on a trail recently. omino vision 2.4 on the VTX. Stock body has a lexan windshield - cut it out.

Profile shot. Can get a peak at the DL antenna zip tied to one of the roll cage tubes. Also through the back side window you can see the stock battery tray - perfect place for gear.

A look down at the gear tray made of MDF wrapped in packing tape. Used some picture hanging brackets and installed this using the same hardware and screw locations from the stock interior/seats/driver. IRC 2.4 VTX riding next to gopro - 3M dual lock is killer for this application.

My apologies for the sideways picture. A look through the rear window at the battery tray area - BEC, DL RX.

Body removed reveals better how everything is laid out, new home for battery just forward of cab (2200-4000 (tel:2200-4000) 3S)

Reveal shot hit of the gear tray. Velcroed underneath I have FS balance lead adapter for VTX power, as well as loop fields for other gear install (Vector)

DL Antenna zip tied to post. Good look into the "cargo area." The stock battery location in the back is great for gear. Tons of places for Velcro/dual lock and zip ties. I occasionally run a Vector in this beast, and the main unit rides here, PSU under Gear plate, GpS on top.

Thats about it. Questions, holler. I'll post some driving pics or footage later. Nothing exciting, just for reference.

Pushjerk
3rd July 2015, 04:32 AM
www.vimeo.com/131150268

(tried to post a little video, but it's being lame.

I waited a long time to finally pull the trigger on a ground pounder for FPV. It has been more fun than I could have imagined - both with goggles on and off. So fun I even squeezed enough funds out for another Axial truck, an SCX10. Anyway, RC surface crawling/bashing is just another disease for you guys to catch. Beware.

jinx
3rd July 2015, 04:37 AM
Looking good. :)

I was playing with a couple of different ideas about camera installing (board cam). Option one would be inside the cabin with an adapter plate, either standing on the interior, or hanging from the roof, whichever gives the best view. Option two, mount it on top of the roof with some sort of protective enclosing. But your gear plate looks good, so I'll have to think about that too.:)

As an idea I would like to be able to see the front wheels for more precise drive. Especially as I won't be putting a servo for panning at this point, but trying to start out with the RTR radio.

Pushjerk
3rd July 2015, 04:39 PM
If you plan on covering any range (beyond 750 feet or so LOS*) the stock radio is gonna disappoint. If you don't mind staying close, it should do just fine. And lately the Newer Axial RTR kits have been shipping with a Tactic TTX300 3 channel TX/RX, so you'll have the option to run a pan servo out of the box.

jinx
6th July 2015, 06:40 AM
I don't mind staying close for now (famous last words...;)). I have a huge area of rocky forest with plenty of trails right next to my house, so I can just start to drive and move myself closer when the videolink goes bad.

The radio would be a nice surprise, if there really is a 3ch one in the box. According to Axial's website it should be 2ch AX-3. The receiver is said to have 3 channels though.

jinx
8th July 2015, 01:09 AM
Got the package yesterday and did a quick'n'dirty installation of FPV equipment. Plenty of zip ties and a plywood box/rack for the camera on the roof. Still need to adjust camera angle, right now I can only see top of the front bumber. I don't think inside the cabin would have given me the view I wanted.

Had a quick test last night and otherwise everything works as it should. What surprised me was that there was no interference from esc/motor, even though I took power directly from the single battery with no filttering.:) All in all, it was fun. Now I just need to do the last adjustments (and waterproofing vtx and camera) and hit the trails...:D

And yes, it was a Tactic TX in the box.

jinx
11th July 2015, 06:28 AM
Changed the camera lens to some chinese GoPro lens for a wider view. Still need to tilt it down a bit, but otherwise the roof mount seems to work great.

First trail video here: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?3050-FPV-Ground-Vehicle-Videos-By-Land-and-Sea!&p=713881#post713881