PDA

View Full Version : The BONEYARD (buy/sell section) Is Now Private now private?

Pages : [1] 2

merengue
28th February 2012, 05:56 PM
I can't access anymore.. what happened?

MODERATOR NOTE TO EVERYONE:
Please don't post nonsense just for the sake of reaching 25 posts. Your posts WILL be deleted if you post rush. You need to have 25 posts PLUS wait 30 days before you can access the buy/sell section. That means you need to make one useful post per day. Not so hard is it?

Keith
28th February 2012, 07:03 PM
Sentry and I made that change last night. It was decided that as a measure of security/to prevent easy access by scammers, it will be locked down until a member reaches 25 posts and has been registered for 30 days. ;)

So once you've been registered for 30 days and accumulate 25 posts, you're account will be automatically bumped up. The process runs once an hour, so you won't have to wait longer than that once the minimums are met! :D

merengue
28th February 2012, 07:11 PM
all right then.

thanks

Scotttu
28th February 2012, 08:09 PM
That's a good policy to have! I like it!

SENTRY
28th February 2012, 09:44 PM
Yeah - we noticed some users w/ new registrations trying to unload a few products --- I wanna make sure everyone knows who they are purchasing from. A member on here put the bug in my ear and I co-signed it, thought it was a great idea. It's just to protect the guys a bit. :)

Keok
28th February 2012, 11:21 PM
I was wondering as well. Thats cool.

jalves
29th February 2012, 10:35 AM
it's a so so solution

jalves
29th February 2012, 10:37 AM
Sorry folks!

Couldn't avoid it :o

aeryck
29th February 2012, 10:40 AM
Of course, this type of restriction causes the behavior above. Post whoring with no useful content just to get a high enough post count to unlock the classifieds forum. But, it is nice to have some safeguards in place to keep scammers somewhat in check.

IBCrazy
29th February 2012, 11:21 AM
The 25 post count is a bit high. Probably drop it to 10 or 15 if it were my decision. However, the 30 day wait is a great idea.

Sentry is trying to protect the interests of all FPVers here. I think this was a good idea. If you have ever been scammed (and I have) you understand.

-Alex

jalves
29th February 2012, 11:32 AM
I agree with some sort of control, and agree with the 30 day condition.

It could be 30 day OR 25 posts!

The AND condition spoiled the measure.

And that's it, 25 posts since March 2011.

swoop_g
1st March 2012, 04:09 AM
I think its a great idea. It will surely put a damper on a large portion of scammers that use and abuse forums like these. Also maybe implement some sort of black dot or check mark we can add to a persons name like a "mouse over" type of thing. Just a thought.

Kcleong18
1st March 2012, 05:33 AM
I thought of emailing Admin about this problem (denied access) . Guess this will add one more to my meagre posts total.

Kcleong18
1st March 2012, 05:36 AM
looking at my total , may takes me a while to do reach 25...haha

NDw
1st March 2012, 08:45 AM
Might it be better to have it so you can't post in that section until 30 days +25 posts ect, but you can read it?

IBCrazy
1st March 2012, 08:57 AM
^Excellent point NDw! Newbies are more likely to want to buy and it would be beneficial for them to be able to look at what is available.

-Alex

Ez Hawk
1st March 2012, 09:17 AM
20 posts now :]

Hucker
1st March 2012, 09:40 AM
+1 on classified lock out being for write access.

MASHTON1138
1st March 2012, 09:55 AM
I agree with Alex. I would allow them to look at the Classifieds but not post a new thread for 30 days and I personally like the post minimum but think 25 may be a bit too high, maybe just 15.

I wonder do the posts in the classifieds count to total post count?

Marc

Ernie34
1st March 2012, 12:23 PM
I have a long way to go...

Ernie

Ernie34
1st March 2012, 12:25 PM
Think I can get 25 posts just in here alone?

Ernie

Ernie34
1st March 2012, 12:26 PM
Whoo Hooooo.... 5 posts..

Ugh...

Ok' I'll stop post building and look at the other stuff on the forum. Everyone have a good day.

Ernie

Vitamin J
1st March 2012, 12:26 PM
Well whatever you do, don't contribute anywhere else on the forum!

merengue
1st March 2012, 12:27 PM
I agree with Alex. I would allow them to look at the Classifieds but not post a new thread for 30 days and I personally like the post minimum but think 25 may be a bit too high, maybe just 15.

I wonder do the posts in the classifieds count to total post count?

Marc

On the Italian RC model forum it's that way: everyone can read, but write only after you have some messages.
Remember that many visitor could be interested in buying things without necessarly having much to write

Ernie34
1st March 2012, 12:34 PM
Well whatever you do, don't contribute anywhere else on the forum!

????

SENTRY
1st March 2012, 12:38 PM
Sorry folks!

Couldn't avoid it :o

Senseless posts will just be deleted - so you will get nowhere fast with this kind of effort. If you're TRULY interested in FPV and all that it encompasses - it's not hard to rack up 25 REAL posts.

Guys/girls - please do not populate the board with crap - crap at other places is why I created this one. :) Thanx everyone for supporting The Lab.

Ernie34
1st March 2012, 12:44 PM
Sorry Sentry,
Still building a quadcopter and planning on using a gopro for video.. Still working on deciding which tx/rx system. Have been reading here on and off for a while. I don't post much because I am learning.

Thanks!
Ernie

aeryck
1st March 2012, 12:44 PM
On the Italian RC model forum it's that way: everyone can read, but write only after you have some messages.
Remember that many visitor could be interested in buying things without necessarly having much to write

I think the overall goal here is that FPVLab is way more than just a classified ads forum. The buy/sell aspect is just one small part of the bigger picture, and I'd imagine the intent is to get people to communicate and share ideas rather than just looking for a place to hock their gear or scam the locals. I know that not everyone is a scammer, but unfortunately it only takes one shady deal to put people on edge.

I can see the logic behind complete restriction vs. read-only. Imagine you are a seller trying to sell something, and you get a PM from someone who just signed up and has 0 posts to his/her name. Would you feel comfortable selling to someone you know virtually nothing about? I realize sites like paypal have buyer protection, but how's their seller protection? If a reputable person sells something through paypal and the shady buyer immediately disputes payment through paypal after he's received the item, who will really win that argument?

Just playing devil's advocate here. 25 posts really isn't that hard to get, even without useless post-whoring.. If you haven't already, start an introduction thread in the pilot's lab. Introduce yourself, tell us a bit about your interests, and even check out the other threads. There's plenty of information here to contribute to a discussion or ask questions about things you may not understand.

merengue
1st March 2012, 12:51 PM
yes, ok, but i think seller protection starts when item is paid BEFORE shipping ;)

anyway, i have more than 25 messages, but sell area is still private to me...

SENTRY
1st March 2012, 12:55 PM
Sorry Sentry,
Still building a quadcopter and planning on using a gopro for video.. Still working on deciding which tx/rx system. Have been reading here on and off for a while. I don't post much because I am learning.

Thanks!
Ernie

So head over to the ROTORCRAFT section and ask questions - it's not hard.

jalves
1st March 2012, 01:59 PM
Sentry,

I only did that to make a point.

You folks prevent me, with about a year registration in this FPVlab, to check if mictronics have 433MHz coupler versions already done.

Of course, I was not happy with the situation, forced to mail mictronics to know if the coupler was available.

I didn't do that, just wait for the 25 posts :rolleyes:

Derek_S
1st March 2012, 07:15 PM
The fact is 100% of the population is not going to be happy with any policy that is created. We just have to mitigate the negatives the best we can here. This restriction certainly wasn't just pulled from thin air; it is ADMINs attempt to protect the users against the barrage of scams/crap that are happening here on an almost daily basis (which you hopefully may not even be aware of if the mods are doing their job).

Hopefully we can all appreciate that, and as always the users here are doing a good job at policing their own by reporting suspicions post, so thanks to everyone for that, too.

Scotttu
1st March 2012, 08:24 PM
I ran a shooting forum for a while and I had a 100 post minimum count.

If you are part of the community that equates to 3-7 days wait...and by then people get to know you.

But to see a guy come on my site and his first and ONLY post was an ad for his angle cosign indicator scope mounts was BS. He was trying to make money from MY money and "Customers"...and that was not morally correct...and I always, always banned them.

Of course after he SENT me one and I tested it, then I was OK with that but for the most part people go around and advertise stuff by joining a forum, putting an ad up and never going back.

I wouldn't do business with that person anyway, I want to get to know them and their support etc etc...

So I fully agree with the 25 post limit but if it were me it would probably be 50 to 100...:)

Luckily it's not me, I got tired of running forums and dealing with that mess.

gbla1983
1st March 2012, 10:01 PM
100 is a bit high... I'm a reader, not a writer... :)

Ernie34
2nd March 2012, 07:47 AM
After spending most of the day yesterday reading and replying to a few posts I can see how the 25 post minimum is ok. Without really trying I racked up a few yesterday.

Ernie

kev.au
2nd March 2012, 08:04 AM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa243/kevin355_2007/images-19.jpg

Ez Hawk
2nd March 2012, 08:57 AM
good to have 25 posts :]

Ez Hawk
2nd March 2012, 08:58 AM
now;]

dzone
2nd March 2012, 06:15 PM
+1 on classified lock out being for write access.
+2 +3 +4

dzone
2nd March 2012, 06:16 PM
+5 +6 etc....

Rootz
3rd March 2012, 07:28 PM
Yup. I agree.

I'm a new FPVer and I need a 5.8GHz transmitter to complete my rig. I've looked everywhere I can find on the web and can't find stock anywhere. Was hoping I could post a want ad here but no luck. Ain't gonna be no FPVin' for me any time soon. :-(

Cheerz!

Rootz

IBCrazy
3rd March 2012, 08:50 PM
Are you serious? Check here: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_30_33&products_id=485
$40

Or here: http://www.urbandrones.com/58ghz-200mw-Video-Transmitter_p_86.html

-Alex

Rootz
3rd March 2012, 08:55 PM
Ah yeah. Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, Alex. I would have jumped at the Fatshark one but, apparently it won't work with my Flytech goggles. Saw the urban drones Tx. It looks really good but they wanted $35 postage to the UK! That's just silly money, unless they're going to deliver it in person. :-)

Cheerz!

Rootz

james sowell
4th March 2012, 10:38 AM
guess i haft to tppe more to shop

elvenpure
4th March 2012, 05:20 PM
dam im so close.
its a little annoying for people like me who read more than post.
also shouldnt i be able to buy stuff?
give the ability to buy but not sell maybe?
well im near 25 anyway.
this post should help
:)

Scotttu
4th March 2012, 05:24 PM
elvenpure - where you from? LOL

(Now you got 25)

elvenpure
4th March 2012, 05:37 PM
huh?
im from australia. how come?
yep i sure do.
gotta wait for the hour though.
not long.
where do you come from?

elvenpure
4th March 2012, 05:41 PM
ohh and why cant we have this cool forum theme everywhere.
looks like carbon fiber weave.
very nice.

gbla1983
4th March 2012, 05:48 PM
i'll just start posting more. me too, reader....
noobb, an besides, roberto is my neighbor, so he helps me a lot...

Scotttu
4th March 2012, 07:01 PM
huh?
im from australia. how come?
yep i sure do.
gotta wait for the hour though.
not long.
where do you come from?

Because at the time I posted that you had 24 posts :D

Love to see more video from Australia, New Zealand - gorgeous places there!

elvenpure
4th March 2012, 07:03 PM
yea well as soon as i can afford a good onboard cam.
ill let you know.

megabyte
5th March 2012, 08:58 AM
Hi guys, just another n00b here checkin in to say hi (and +1). I've been a regular visitor but only created an account more recently.

Having followed the development of Miketronics' SWR meter I went searching for the kit but ended up here.

Looking forward to meeting that magic quota so I can find out what it costs, whether it's still for sale etc.

Off to collect points...
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w237/huscre/images.jpg

aeryck
5th March 2012, 10:21 AM
ohh and why cant we have this cool forum theme everywhere.
looks like carbon fiber weave.
very nice.

You can. Scroll to the very bottom of the page, and on the left-hand side of the bottom there should be a drop-down menu - this selects your forum theme. Set it to 'DARK' and all sections of the forum will look like this, and not just the Site Suggestions forum. (ask me how I know; I like the dark look too. =] )

SENTRY
5th March 2012, 10:35 AM
^^ me too - that's what I use :)

Danub
6th March 2012, 12:37 AM
Of course, this type of restriction causes the behavior above. Post whoring with no useful content just to get a high enough post count to unlock the classifieds forum. But, it is nice to have some safeguards in place to keep scammers somewhat in check.

I only partially agree . . . . cuz if you want you can read the 25 posts to kind of get a "feel" for the person. . . Nothing is perfect but It is sometin' ;)

All in all I really like the idea as in my time I have seen ppl come on and just try to resell something for almost double market rate, seemed like scamming to me. ;) Guess who called that dude out, Thanks BAWSS!!

radicalron
7th March 2012, 03:20 AM
So I have to wait ! hour once I have 25 posts?

NDw
10th March 2012, 08:46 AM
Yup. I agree.

I'm a new FPVer and I need a 5.8GHz transmitter to complete my rig. I've looked everywhere I can find on the web and can't find stock anywhere. Was hoping I could post a want ad here but no luck. Ain't gonna be no FPVin' for me any time soon. :-(

Cheerz!

Rootz

Assuming you don't want to go the module route http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58g-200mw-transmitter-p-179.html

Rootz
10th March 2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the pointer, NDw.

Cheerz!

Rootz

wanderer
10th March 2012, 09:47 AM
Hello everybody,

As I can and totally understand the intention of protecting the forum users from scammers, I wonder if the buyer/seller thread shouldn't be accessible to all of us? Especially a newbie like myself who would like to get some equipment and would appreciate knowing if there's any concern about a seller or not...

Have a great day
Alain

Superevan
10th March 2012, 11:14 AM
19 more posts, and one hour, and you're in my friend :)

Rootz
10th March 2012, 06:49 PM
Well, that's me up to my quarter century!

Now all I have to do is wait 3 weeks! - and an hour! AARGH!!

Cheerz!

Rootz

santiago404
20th March 2012, 02:34 PM
Oh, i went here to write about it and i saw this thread... let me work on numbers now ;)

daveycan
23rd March 2012, 04:27 PM
^Excellent point NDw! Newbies are more likely to want to buy and it would be beneficial for them to be able to look at what is available.

-Alex

Agree completely, I've been in the market for some things but didn't have access. Oh well.

daveycan
24th March 2012, 02:54 PM
That should do it for 25 posts.

Rootz
30th March 2012, 08:42 PM
Wohoo! I've nearly come of age! 'Nother two days and I'll be old enough to see the For Sale section. Hope there's something takes my fancy!

Cheerz!

Rootz

ross_badger
6th April 2012, 08:12 AM
LOL! I had posted in the For Sales section just prior to the Admins making the change. So now I know why I can't edit or post there anymore! I guess I just have to get up to the 25 posts......

Wayno
24th April 2012, 04:42 PM
The good thing about this forum is that there is so much good information that you can usually find the answer you are looking for without having to ask. This of course means that your post count takes a while to accumulate without resorting to posting waffling nonsense to increase those magic numbers ;-)

cryhavoc38
26th April 2012, 06:48 PM
how about those new members, like me, with outstanding feedback on a place like rcgroups?
same userid :)

nick.sargeant
2nd May 2012, 09:12 AM
A few more posts for me left...

SENTRY
2nd May 2012, 09:26 AM
^^ It's not hard. If you're really into FPV and learning the tech - your welcome thread alone could be enough to get you the posts. Also - the 30 day cap goes by VERY fast... and for new guys, if they are reading and posting they will be much more ready to actually KNOW what it is they need to buy from the classifieds.

VEJ
5th May 2012, 03:47 AM
I send PB/M to the admin and never got an answer about this. I read the 30 days restriction but not the 25 post one.

VEJ
5th May 2012, 03:47 AM
Ok have to wait another few posts.

bicycle
7th May 2012, 02:47 PM
Darn, I didn't know my post count mattered. 23 to go.

noriega
8th May 2012, 06:03 AM
need 25 posts to get access to the buy/sell section - sorry

noriega
8th May 2012, 06:04 AM
need 25 posts to get access to the buy/sell section - some more to go

noriega
8th May 2012, 06:04 AM
need 25 posts to get access to the buy/sell section - 21 missing...

noriega
8th May 2012, 06:05 AM
need 25 posts to get access to the buy/sell section - 20 missing...

Hans
8th May 2012, 08:44 AM
Did you just come here to sell stuff, or are you actually going to participate in exchanging information and have a good time like the rest of us?

noriega
8th May 2012, 08:57 AM
hans, thanks for the welcome - just want to have a great time like you do. unfortunately, i am too dumb to make interesting contributions as well as being a little bit shy (ever looked at my "join date")...
nonetheless, don't want to sell stuff, but might be willing to part with some of my money to buy stuff from other members.

Hans
8th May 2012, 09:03 AM
Okidoki, No Prob :)

noriega
8th May 2012, 09:14 AM
thanks for your kindly understanding

Loopy1
13th May 2012, 07:07 PM
OK, I'll eventually get there on the post count. Not having access just keeps me from spending more money that I don't have anyway.... :D

/Dave

SnarkyMcSnarkson
14th May 2012, 06:32 PM
Still no fun when I come across links in the forum that direct me to a place I can't access. Oh well, not my site so I'll play by the rules.

coolest
24th May 2012, 02:58 AM
i come across this link, but is there any way to buy DIY SWR meter ?

radobahn
22nd June 2012, 11:06 PM
I knew about the 30 days, but just found out about the 25 posts. This is an awesome site and I can understand why Sentry put the rules in place, but I'm more of a browser/reader that uses the search function a lot. I figure if I have a question there's prob a good chance its already been discussed. So instead of starting a new thread I'll check with a quick search and usually find what I need. Plus, I dont have to wait around for replies which saves a lot of time. I've been a member of a large VW/Audi site since 5-5-01.. I attend all the local shows, yearly drives, auto-x my car and still only have 1,157 posts. It may take me awhile but I'll get to that 25! :) Dan

SENTRY
23rd June 2012, 10:47 AM
^ You'll get there... even a welcome thread can get that covered if you're really a bubbly type of person :)

GerryL
23rd June 2012, 04:35 PM
OH, that explains it. I've been lurking here since 5/1 and was wondering what was up. I guess I have to start typing.
-G

I knew about the 30 days, but just found out about the 25 posts. This is an awesome site and I can understand why Sentry put the rules in place, but I'm more of a browser/reader that uses the search function a lot. I figure if I have a question there's prob a good chance its already been discussed. So instead of starting a new thread I'll check with a quick search and usually find what I need. Plus, I dont have to wait around for replies which saves a lot of time. I've been a member of a large VW/Audi site since 5-5-01.. I attend all the local shows, yearly drives, auto-x my car and still only have 1,157 posts. It may take me awhile but I'll get to that 25! :) Dan

MatCat
23rd June 2012, 04:37 PM
Rofl I only have 2 days to go before I can view it...

GerryL
23rd June 2012, 04:46 PM
Kinda chatty MC, you're averaging around 7/day.
:-)

Rofl I only have 2 days to go before I can view it...

MatCat
23rd June 2012, 04:48 PM
Kinda chatty MC, you're averaging around 7/day.
:-)
I think my RCG average is 11 a day, what can I say I am an active participant of forums when the subject matter is something I like :).

e- chaser
28th June 2012, 05:27 PM
Got my posts in, now to wait an hour........

aut0tek
5th July 2012, 08:09 PM
Ouch. I wish I knew about the post # requirement earlier. I'd have been spamming you all with useless posts months ago... which is pretty much what I'm doing in this one. :o

McCleary.11
13th July 2012, 08:49 PM
Looks like I need to start posting a little more. :)

livesimply
13th July 2012, 10:08 PM
Yep, milkin the post count....

steamburn
2nd August 2012, 04:21 PM
OK, this will be my 10 post. At this rate I'll be able to classify in a couple of years. Normally I keep my mouth shut if I don't have anything of importance to say (post).

SENTRY
2nd August 2012, 04:24 PM
If some1 is really engaged or trying to getbecome engaged in FPV there is really no reason why you can't get 25 posts. :) Even a welcome thread alone can generate that. :)

bob4432
7th August 2012, 05:49 PM
just a heads up - in your description under the 'boneyard' you have:

[QUOTE]Come Here To Buy/Sell/Trade (Accessible 30 days after registration)[/Quote[

maybe put in there 25 posts too so people don't ask the same question multiple times?

again, just a thought, and sadly post whoring.

Keith
7th August 2012, 08:59 PM
Done! ^

bhuwan
14th August 2012, 08:30 AM
25 post is kind of high :(

aut0tek
23rd August 2012, 12:22 AM
Agreed. The guys here are pretty cool, so I try not to 2nd-guess them, but seriously, trying to find posts that I can add new insight/info to is pretty tough in this hobby. Usually, my sentiments have been said 10x over by more notable people. :/

SENTRY
23rd August 2012, 12:24 AM
^ A welcome thread would be a good hint... ;) You could easily get 25 posts in there alone.

kingiggy
23rd August 2012, 07:48 AM
So every new member should open a welcome thread? I don't think that would be very good.

kingiggy
23rd August 2012, 07:52 AM
Agreed. The guys here are pretty cool, so I try not to 2nd-guess them, but seriously, trying to find posts that I can add new insight/info to is pretty tough in this hobby. Usually, my sentiments have been said 10x over by more notable people. :/

I agree with aut0tek. I am engaged in this hobby but haven't had to post much because I can usually find what I'm looking for after searching.

SENTRY
23rd August 2012, 08:51 AM
So every new member should open a welcome thread? I don't think that would be very good.

That's the point of that section and most pilots on the board make a welcome thread.

Wearyman
23rd August 2012, 08:58 AM
25 post is kind of high :(

Not really. I post that many in a week. And I'm nowhere near the busiest poster here. Just join in some of the existing threads in the off topic board and you'll be at 25 in no time.

Of course, your account still have to be at least a month old, but if you have been lurking for awhile that should be no big deal.

We had to institute some kind of limitation as the buy sell forums were getting spammed badly for awhile there. This limitation stopped the spam and still allowed legitimate members to post. I think it is very reasonable.

Vitamin J
23rd August 2012, 02:44 PM
Yep, that's the point of the Pilot's Check In section, check in before flight ;)

http://fpvlab.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?23-PILOT-S-CHECK-IN

SENTRY tried hard to welcome every new member if they post a thread and many other people join in if you give some unique details of your rigs/life too.

kohersh
12th September 2012, 11:32 AM

I understand the reasoning and always play by the rules. However for someone like me who is completely new to FPV and does not own any FPV related items except airframes...what do I really have of value have to contribute to the discussion with zero experience? I want to begin purchasing equipment- I prefer to buy used things for the savings and I also use the classififeds as a way to educate myself on the equipment options available today. This also gives me the opportunity to interact one on one with more experienced users without the risk of being flamed by a grump old user. My experience on nearly every other forum i visit is that the entrenched users hate uneducated newbies jumping on and asking the same questions- ones that may or may not be easy to find using the varying search functions on the sites. It takes some experience to make the search function work effectively- and i still struggle with it on xh20 where I contribute regularly- writing styles impact search results. And everyone hates threadjacking to increase post count.

So this is post #4- dont complain that i'm bumping old stuff to get to 25

SENTRY
12th September 2012, 11:41 AM
It is not hard to get 25 posts - a welcome thread, the "who are you thread", and general questions about FPV and what your FPV goals are would be all you need.

Vitamin J
12th September 2012, 11:44 AM
I see you're from Florida, well there's a bunch of other guys from Florida so maybe you could introduce yourself and make some new friends.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?8315-Central-Florida-FPV-meet-in-Sorrento-(minutes-from-Orlando)-Sat.-Sept-22nd&p=142060#post142060

Also, most forums I'm a member of I have about 500 posts after several years of membership. I have over 2000 here in 1 year and trust me, it's not all content ;)

kohersh
12th September 2012, 12:01 PM
Sentry- I agree 25 is not a lot- please don't take it as a criticism, I'm fine with the policy to stop spammers... I'm just eager to break into FPV and as I mentioned i use classified as a way to boil down options. I'll keep plugging away at 25 but a Vitamin J points out- it probably wont be good content.
I have a question burning in my mind about range reductions with objects in the path- so I'll fire up a thread about that. Thanks!

kalikraven
12th September 2012, 12:37 PM
I was an unregestured reader here for 2-3 months. I guess I should have registed back then. There are alot of forums out there and I don't register to all of them but I liked this one so here am...

stubbed
16th September 2012, 04:58 AM
I was an unregestured reader here for 2-3 months. I guess I should have registed back then. There are alot of forums out there and I don't register to all of them but I liked this one so here am...

This. I'm generally more of a lurker than a poster, however I don't disagree with the policy. I've had to think up stuff to post these days.. :)

livesimply
4th October 2012, 08:31 PM
Woo hoo, my 25th post, bring on the bargins.

kohersh
4th October 2012, 09:02 PM
Go man go...I already snagged an airframe.

myturbe
8th October 2012, 06:06 PM
All right!

JohnVH
7th December 2012, 12:37 AM
ugh, one more week to go.. I passed 25 posts a while ago, obviously.

Tritium
29th December 2012, 09:52 PM
1st post of the 25 required. I have been reading a thread and was wondering how everyone was buying the item mentioned in the thread since I could find no "Classified's". About an hour later I was pointed to this thread. 24 to go. It may take a while though since I am new to this and don't feel I have anything to contribute yet.

Thurmond

Vitamin J
30th December 2012, 02:51 AM
Post here:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?23-PILOT-S-CHECK-IN

Vintabilly_NS
3rd January 2013, 03:44 PM
^word. :)

restinpeace
5th January 2013, 09:41 PM
i realy need to collect here the 25 posts to see the section but it is here not working -.-

Tritium
5th January 2013, 09:43 PM
i realy need to collect here the 25 posts to see the section but it is here not working -.-

You and me both. I love other peoples cast off stuff.;)

Thurmond

JohnVH
5th January 2013, 09:59 PM
And wait 30 days

darkfire3814
17th January 2013, 09:55 PM
I have a bunch of good FPV gear to sell off and was told this would be a good place to do so but now i have to w8t 30 days to do so??

SENTRY
17th January 2013, 09:57 PM
Yes - you do. This isn't a place to dump products as a stranger. This is a place to integrate into the community and share.

darkfire3814
17th January 2013, 10:04 PM
Thats just it. Im looking to get out of FPV and willing to take a loss on my items. I guess I will just find other websites with members who would appreciate saving money. Personally while i understand the concern of scammers, I think the 30 days is pushing people who want to buy and sell away from here and to other sites. Besides paypal has a very well anti scam system in place.

manoktot
20th January 2013, 10:54 PM
lost a fully-loaded fpv quad yesterday in a fly-away, so might look into some 2nd hand stuff to save some $. I've reached 25 posts about 10 minutes, but am wondering why I still can't see the classifieds?

JohnVH
20th January 2013, 11:16 PM
if you read this thread, you will notice how you have to wait 30 days also...

manoktot
20th January 2013, 11:24 PM
john - oh ok..thought the 30-day wait started from when I first registered, didn't know it was after I reach 25 posts. Thanks for the info.

JohnVH
20th January 2013, 11:25 PM
do you know the exact date you signed up?

manoktot
21st January 2013, 12:16 AM
it's ok John...I just checked and I can now see the classifieds. I signed up November 3rd. So it seems that the 30-day wait is after you sign up, and once you reach 25 posts, the classifieds will be then accessible.

Mrtarango32
7th February 2013, 09:09 PM
So still 25 posts and 30 days?
Kind of sucks that new members here, where they could be long time members of other similar forums, can't access the classifieds. I'm fine with no being able to post a thread but to not able to look that's on a whole other level. But to each his own.

e- chaser
7th February 2013, 09:35 PM
fpvlab.com is a special place. If investing a little bit of your time is not worth it, maybe this isn't the place for you. Not trying to be mean, but most sites on the internet are a free-for-all, look at youtube.com comments for instance. I for one don't want this site to become like the others, if that means setting the bar a little higher on entry requirements, so be it.

So still 25 posts and 30 days?
Kind of sucks that new members here, where they could be long time members of other similar forums, can't access the classifieds. I'm fine with no being able to post a thread but to not able to look that's on a whole other level. But to each his own.

Mrtarango32
7th February 2013, 09:47 PM
I believe all forums are all the same. I'm a member on 21 forums (just counted on tapatalk, not saying I know everything about everything, but my opinion) but have another 10 saved so I can lurk on. All forums range from hunting, desert racing, fpv, helis, android, apple, ff, aquariums, etc... Just surprised this is my first forum to wait to see the classifieds. Kinda seems like it push people away. But you never know. Been a member here for Two hours and getting close to 25 posts

Snoopy
7th February 2013, 09:51 PM
Actually, time is relative and our money is debt.

Mrtarango32
7th February 2013, 09:53 PM
To each his own

Snoopy
7th February 2013, 10:03 PM
It did get you one post closer. I can't do much about 29 days though. I'll be in the buy/sell section if you need me. :p

Mrtarango32
8th February 2013, 12:02 AM
Hahaha good one

Metalbender
27th February 2013, 08:44 PM
I guess it will be awhile befor I can buy any thing.

Metalbender
27th February 2013, 08:46 PM
Guess i better start posting more.

anderre
28th February 2013, 03:01 AM
For one who is reading more than posting, 25 posts will take a while ...
- I contribute when I feel that my post is useful for others. Not just commenting just to comment, if you catch my drift ...

Thats just

My opinion
( I've seen posts like theese too much here because of the 25posts requirement...)

STI-REX
28th February 2013, 04:21 AM
I don't need to keep making posts that are useless to get my post count up just to view the for sale section but i do have real money to buy stuff via paypal and i can't even look at what is for sale

But I do find it frustrating because i can find most info i am looking for without posting using the search function

Agree with some sort of time restriction to post in classifieds but what about being able to view only
But 25 posts is a bit much with out rambling aimlessly in my view

I have been a member for a couple of months now with 3 quads in the air and would like to buy some more gear and i have struggled to reach 18 posts

GREAT forum Great people

Maximus
28th February 2013, 08:12 AM
Why don't you guys post photos and some info of your aircraft and setups in the appropriate threads? Or look for a post with an unanswered question where you know the answer. It's not difficult to post 25 meaningful posts, and everyone's opinion is welcome here.

On the other hand, short meaningless posts for the sake of reaching 25, will be deleted, so it's not worth it. :D

Vitamin J
28th February 2013, 12:20 PM
Or post a joke or dumb picture in the off topic section. It's not that hard.

This is a community and the classifieds section isn't open to any joe off the street for a reason.

Tritium
28th February 2013, 07:35 PM
For one who is reading more than posting, 25 posts will take a while ...
- I contribute when I feel that my post is useful for others. Not just commenting just to comment, if you catch my drift ...

Thats just

My opinion
( I've seen posts like theese too much here because of the 25posts requirement...)

+1 I have nothing to say unless it will be valuable to some or all including myself (except this comment of course).

Thurmond

JohnVH
28th February 2013, 07:39 PM
less than one post a day. Your not missing much though, not alot happens in there.

Snoopy
28th February 2013, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I thought I was missing out on good deals like on HeliFreak but I wasn't and you aren't either. Not many things are posted and at best you may shave a few bucks off a NIB item but it's rare. More WTB than WTS. Knowing this makes me realize I'd rather just buy new and have proper support if needed from a place like RMRC.

Metalbender
28th February 2013, 08:27 PM
Its nothin' but a thing right, I was just trying to be funny. Darn my bad sence of humor.

But as long as I'm here check tis out. The first picture is from a GoPro Hero2 and the second is from a keychain cam #16 lensD. Taken on two different days.

I love FPV.

Snoopy
28th February 2013, 10:44 PM
Ya know something, I don't think posts in this Site Suggestion area are counted. Your post counts haven't changed while here. I noticed this when I started but forgot until now.

Metalbender
28th February 2013, 10:47 PM
I was watching that too. Funny how that works.

JohnVH
28th February 2013, 11:16 PM
Its nothin' but a thing right, I was just trying to be funny. Darn my bad sence of humor.

But as long as I'm here check tis out. The first picture is from a GoPro Hero2 and the second is from a keychain cam #16 lensD. Taken on two different days.

I love FPV.

Post those in the picture thread, great shots!

jforkner
4th March 2013, 08:24 PM
FWIW, I think the restriction is ridiculous. Just curious...was SPAM a big problem here before the change? Doesn't seem to be a problem (though it does occasionally occur) at any of the other forums I frequent.

Wow, I'm up to 15 posts already.

Jack

Vitamin J
4th March 2013, 08:36 PM

I love FPV.
Nice shots, I'm jealous of the low cloud ceiling you guys get down there. You seem like you've got some good experience under your belt, too bad you won't help new guys with their problems or contribute some of your knowledge on the board. I'm sure you didn't get to where you are without someone else's knowledge.

FWIW, I think the restriction is ridiculous. Just curious...was SPAM a big problem here before the change? Doesn't seem to be a problem (though it does occasionally occur) at any of the other forums I frequent.

Wow, I'm up to 15 posts already.

Jack
Short answer, yes.

Congrats on the 15, see it's not hard. On top of that someone can figure out your personality before entering into a sale with you!

Metalbender
4th March 2013, 09:48 PM
Nice shots, I'm jealous of the low cloud ceiling you guys get down there. You seem like you've got some good experience under your belt, too bad you won't help new guys with their problems or contribute some of your knowledge on the board. I'm sure you didn't get to where you are without someone else's knowledge.

No one moves forward with out the knowledge from the ones that came before them. That being said, I have done my share of reading. Untill now that has been mostly on another forum. You know "the other guys". I have just started to look through these threads that are available here. That is why I have a low post count. As far as offering help, I am always willing to offer what I know when I can but with a low post count, my input holds little ground.

Thank you for the comments on the pictures. I would post more but I'm better at building the planes and wiring the electronicts than I am with the editing the video. I'll have to work on that.

Mike

PS I spent 35 years in Colorado Springs. I miss the mountains but not the cold.

jminardi
6th March 2013, 10:13 AM
I've spent hundreds of hours on RCG and here learning posted very little because most of the information I was looking for had already been asked and answered. there was no need for me to sign up or post. But still be in my first year the actually flying f p v I still have many things I want to like to try out I was able to buy like crazy on our rCG and I did probably have enough for a couple setups now most of all the being able to buy right away not only save me money but then I had the support of Veteran members just my 2 cents I should be able to get in the Classified it anytime I hope I think it's been 30 days no I got more than 25 Post

WNCmotard
6th March 2013, 10:22 AM
FWIW, I've posted a lot since joining a few weeks ago, and it has nothing to do with trying to get into the classies section. I've already bought my stuff, spending time on the forum is just a way for me to learn, perhaps even help someone else out with something I've learned even with my short time in this part of the RC flying hobby, etc. That, and I'm in IT, so I generally have downtime all throughout the day as well.

faber
17th March 2013, 12:40 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I wanted to check out the stuff for sale but i cant see it even though my account meets the criteria.

Metalbender
17th March 2013, 07:30 AM
That's strange, as soon as I hit 25 posts I was able to read them.

RandallJ
17th March 2013, 10:06 AM
FWIW, I've posted a lot since joining a few weeks ago, and it has nothing to do with trying to get into the classies section. I've already bought my stuff, spending time on the forum is just a way for me to learn, perhaps even help someone else out with something I've learned even with my short time in this part of the RC flying hobby, etc. That, and I'm in IT, so I generally have downtime all throughout the day as well.
Spent a lot *money and time * over at RCgroups.. no restrictions and tons of good used stuff..

faber
17th March 2013, 04:53 PM
definitely. I just sold 3 helis, and a plane to fund some fpv gear. But I can't even buy from anyone here. Bummer...

punchy
5th April 2013, 02:43 AM
There are a number of threads marked "private" and can not be clicked on. Some of them seem like useful sections, like "Avionics for Sale"...

Just wondering why they are private??

TZZDC1241
5th April 2013, 02:45 AM
Come Here To Buy/Sell/Trade (Accessible 30 days after registration and at least 25 posts) - Message for the 'for sale' section.

punchy
5th April 2013, 02:57 AM
Ahhh! got it... Thanks! :)

Adam151082
5th April 2013, 03:45 AM
Guess i better start posting insted of just looking :-)

Hans
5th April 2013, 04:16 AM
Constructive & informative posts are welcomed. BS-posts for the sake of postcounts are frowned upon & deleted. Depending on the reaction to this on the receiving end, a ban is possible.

young_version
12th May 2013, 09:27 PM
that explains why those little LOCk icons wont let me in. lol i came here because another site was full of bs....and people on their high horses.i know im cool, and if 25 posts will anyone who doesnt know me,instant trust... cool. honestly i dont want to sell anything, just buy stuff.

lsone
8th June 2013, 11:02 AM
I came here to make an impulse buy, you let me down drastically :(

joetri
8th June 2013, 08:53 PM
i dont like this twenty five posts and we will set you free to buy stuff

Wearyman
9th June 2013, 10:11 AM
Nothing stopping you from pm-ing someone that is selling something. Let them put up the sold notice.

lsone
9th June 2013, 10:37 AM
Nothing stopping you from pm-ing someone that is selling something. Let them put up the sold notice.
ehhh theres one minor flaw to your theory. I cant even VIEW the classifieds until I meet the requirements.

PilotKeeg
9th June 2013, 11:17 AM
herm maybe that should be changed so you just cant post in the classifieds until you have 25 posts

Pascal J
9th June 2013, 11:29 AM
Good idea !

stikflyer
9th June 2013, 04:40 PM
I like the idea, it prevents the forum from getting spammed by someone or some company who are just interested in selling instead of contributing to the forum.

ih8nixon
11th June 2013, 02:46 PM
Damn impatient whipper snappers. I've been here since two aught twelve and I still ain't never seen me no buy/sell section.

Seriously, I should probably lurk less and post more.

hjscm
13th June 2013, 10:03 AM
was wondering the same thing. i like it though

Beerwiser
14th June 2013, 11:44 PM
+1 to keeping spammers out, but I would still like to see if there is anything that I can't live without lol.

Byro
16th June 2013, 06:51 AM
+1 to keeping spammers out, but I would still like to see if there is anything that I can't live without lol.
I may have been able to save some of the money I just spent, Or atleast given it to a fellow hobbyist.

powdermnky007
23rd June 2013, 12:35 AM
Good deal

boopidoo
2nd July 2013, 03:09 AM
that explains why those little LOCk icons wont let me in. lol i came here because another site was full of bs....and people on their high horses.i know im cool, and if 25 posts will anyone who doesnt know me,instant trust... cool. honestly i dont want to sell anything, just buy stuff.
LOL plenty of high horses here as well I'm afraid. ;)

But these rules I agree with, I know it can be ironic that ppl registred two years ago can't access but the point Vitamin J did about possibility to check up a user and their posts prior to doing business is a very good point.

But maybe reading access should be allowed though, or maybe reading after the time period. Post access after time+post count?

robin4
3rd July 2013, 02:38 PM
herm maybe that should be changed so you just cant post in the classifieds until you have 25 posts

Couldn't agree more. But instead of 25 posts, it should be a 10 posts limit.

Deniz Y
3rd July 2013, 08:23 PM
I think it's a good idea, but for new guys like myself would like to be able to buy items for my first bird and not get everything new it puts a cramp in my shopping.

ke123
3rd July 2013, 09:08 PM
I think it's a good idea, but for new guys like myself would like to be able to buy items for my first bird and not get everything new it puts a cramp in my shopping.

Buyers can be bad too, just like sellers. How hard is it to get involved a bit before buying stuff? It's going to save you money in the long run anyway to ask questions! My 2c :)

Byro
3rd July 2013, 09:25 PM
Buyers can be bad too, just like sellers. How hard is it to get involved a bit before buying stuff? It's going to save you money in the long run anyway to ask questions! My 2c :)
I thought it meant you just built two aircraft instead, so you used all the parts up.

StompAE86
3rd July 2013, 09:32 PM
just wow at the bargains in the for sale section right now...who sells ezUHF for $50!!

Deniz Y
3rd July 2013, 09:34 PM
Wow, that's mean! One day...

StompAE86
3rd July 2013, 09:49 PM
lol sorry couldn't resist

robin4
4th July 2013, 10:36 AM
lol sorry couldn't resist

hehe ;)

LabRat
5th July 2013, 09:38 AM
Some of us "new guys" have very solid reputations on many other sites. It's kinda sad that it has come to the point where that does not matter. I'm putting together my first FPV rig, but based on the rules, I won't be able to take part in the used market here. I have never been a big poster, although I have hundreds of purchases on other sites. I doubt I will be able to post 25 times anytime soon... so I'm off to shop where I'm wanted. I'm sure this is a great site and all, but.... no help at all for a new guy looking to get set up. At least I now have 1 post, LOL!!!

robin4
5th July 2013, 11:45 AM
Some of us "new guys" have very solid reputations on many other sites. It's kinda sad that it has come to the point where that does not matter. I'm putting together my first FPV rig, but based on the rules, I won't be able to take part in the used market here. I have never been a big poster, although I have hundreds of purchases on other sites. I doubt I will be able to post 25 times anytime soon... so I'm off to shop where I'm wanted. I'm sure this is a great site and all, but.... no help at all for a new guy looking to get set up. At least I now have 1 post, LOL!!!

+1 :)

rdbell
10th July 2013, 09:05 AM
I've been a member for two years, but never bothered to post as I didn't really have much to contribute. I don't like junking up threads if I don't have any significant to say. I do completely understand the restrictions on the for sale section, but it does seem to encourage people to post when they don't have anything meaningful to say purely just to pad their post count.

On the other hand, it is pretty easy to get to 25 by posting in the check in section and finding threads where you can relate even if you don't fly FPV yet like me.

I'm looking forward to having access to the classifieds so I can slowly pick up some used gear

LabRat
10th July 2013, 09:28 AM
I'm in the same boat, I mostly just read and learn, so not much for posting. The need for the restrictions is clear, but for those of us that have been in this hobby in one way or another for 30 plus years, it just does not seem right. To suddenly be an outsider, so outside you can't even purchase, makes no sense to me. I too look forward to access to the classifieds, but odds are very good I will already have gotten the gear I need elsewhere...

and theres another post, a whopping 5 now!

rdbell
10th July 2013, 02:14 PM
...but odds are very good I will already have gotten the gear I need elsewhere...

Haha I've thought the same thing. But I've waited this long to get into FPV, why rush it? I'm getting pretty close to being able to use the classifieds. Another benefit of having a minimum post count is that it creates a little bit more trust in a buyer/seller situation so they see that you have at least been active and engaged. Maybe the person you're buying from or selling to will have seen you posting in the same thread as them and recognize you. Either way, seeing someone in the classifieds on any forums with zero trader rating and zero posts inevitably throws up red flags.

LabRat
10th July 2013, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE Maybe the person you're buying from or selling to will have seen you posting in the same thread as them and recognize you.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing about that is I bet there are people here that I have done business with at one time or another over the years. I have most of my stuff now anyway, and the rest is soon to come.

I need to figure out the quote thing. Yeah, I kinda half-assed tryed to fpv 20 years ago, with predictable results, LOL!! Finally the tech needed to do it right no longer costs an appendage (maybe just a finger or two now) It won't be long now, right?

LabRat
17th July 2013, 05:56 PM
Don't worry, you are only 6 posts away!! LOL
This makes me sad

Treefinder09
18th July 2013, 02:32 AM
As I was told about the post count when I first logged in, you can post cat videos in the off topic thread. Or, you could do like so many others do and start a thread with a generic question like-"What is the best frequency for FPV?"

And bam, another useless post by me.

Maximus
18th July 2013, 02:37 AM
Useless posts for the sake of getting to 25 will be deleted. Everyone have something useful to share, you just have to think a bit harder.

Treefinder09
18th July 2013, 02:53 AM
Where I am at in the hobby, I have more questions than answers. When I have a question, I search in the forums for the answers. Generally speaking, any question a new guy has can be answered by information that is already posted in a forum. All you have to do is search. Many want the instant answer from others, without the time of researching to find out the related information. Hence, the large amount of threads and posts that are copies.

LabRat
18th July 2013, 09:07 AM
Where I am at in the hobby, I have more questions than answers. When I have a question, I search in the forums for the answers.

Me too, that's why my post count is always so low. Even forums that I have been on for 10 years have few posts from me, unless I was answering a questions. Anything good is worth waiting for! Luckily there are a couple other places fpv'ers hang out, but none as good as this one...

hendorog
17th August 2013, 03:02 AM
Strange policy...
It is at keeping out the scammers selling stuff, but in reality it is preventing newbies from buying stuff.
Why not just make the forum read-only for those members?
First post btw, I just found out about the secret forum and riled me up enough to post...

ReadError
17th August 2013, 01:57 PM
I agree with hendorog, I wouldn't consider myself a newbie but more a "bored at work lurker", theres probably some great starter gear in the classifieds that could get people started off right (except DJI Phantoms, remove them as soon as they are posted ;o )

rdbell
17th August 2013, 02:00 PM
I agree with hendorog, I wouldn't consider myself a newbie but more a "bored at work lurker", theres probably some great starter gear in the classifieds that could get people started off right (except DJI Phantoms, remove them as soon as they are posted ;o )

There's really not much in there. It doesn't seem people use the classifieds here as much as some other sites

ssb2005
28th August 2013, 10:04 PM
25 Posts is a lot of posts just to view the thread.

Heres my first one :)

jonquinn
9th September 2013, 10:35 PM
So this explains why I couldn't see anything there. Here is one post towards 25.

Srush99
10th September 2013, 08:53 PM
Ridiculous rule in my opinion. I was up to 6 posts and then it looks as if the mods graded the quality of my posts and docked me 5. I'm back to one ( this one will probably get deleted too). I've been in 2 R/C communities for close to 10 years and have 300+ transactions with perfect rating. Sorry guys, I learn better by reading and not by posting constant questions to people who have already answered the same newbie questions over and over. It will probably be a year before I get 25 posts. Especially if someone has the time to grade each post I make.

StompAE86
10th September 2013, 11:00 PM
This place is a community first and a market place second. If you dont wish to participate in discussions or help people out with answers why should you get to buy the bargains...

Srush99
11th September 2013, 12:05 AM
Hi Stomp. I'll be learning FPV - no problem. I've been flying R/C for 27 years and now want to broaden my horizons. I'll continue to learn and post where I can. One of these days, I'll be privileged enough to get my 25 post award and be able to see what's in the classifieds. Hope I'm not disappointed!

Sicarius
11th September 2013, 03:03 AM
Hi Stomp. I'll be learning FPV - no problem. I've been flying R/C for 27 years and now want to broaden my horizons. I'll continue to learn and post where I can. One of these days, I'll be privileged enough to get my 25 post award and be able to see what's in the classifieds. Hope I'm not disappointed!

How about actually helping others with your huge RC experience, rather than leeching information while being quiet (this is what was meant in the previous comment)
You could even just post in the random section, help the fun a bit if you will.
It's not a huge achievement to get towards a measly 25 posts, you could get that in a few hours if you answered some newbie questions. It's not like this place is 100% about the equipment involved in FPV.

Byro
11th September 2013, 06:02 AM
Don't forget you have to be here a month too. I average 2.17 posts per day (I thought it was more) 50% are a bit silly the other half I am helping people out. It is not hard and you look like you know stuff!

Srush99
11th September 2013, 02:00 PM
I'm feelin the love now guys. Thanks for the insite on how FPVLabs works.

swillhide
11th September 2013, 02:40 PM
Quickest way to 25 is to Say hello to all the new pilots :)

B.Conover
14th September 2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the update. Good policy, although I agree that a 25-post minimum might be a little high for newer forum members like myself, who are just getting into FPV and are on the forum to learn everything they can, but don't have much in the way of experience to offer comments. And we're likely the best potential customers for the buy/sell section...

SENTRY
14th September 2013, 11:59 AM
The newcombers should be reading - they'll no doubt buy the wrong thing. :) A healthy welcome thread is easily capable of generating 25 posts. Searching the city/state you're from and you may find other users threads or regional threads that can generate more posts - and also threads like this too. (http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?5496-What-else-do-you-do-besides-FPV). By the time you accomplish that the 30 days will have passed and you won't even know it. :)

Nightstone
12th October 2013, 02:12 AM
Personally I think you are hurting yourselves with the policy. When I shop and I hit a site and they are out I go elsewhere. Its that simple. With tons of newer folks entering this end of the hobby daily you are effectively blocking them. Same goes for the hardcore folks. Say you just out grew that 5.8 gear and you want to sell it... Yet the site you want to sell it on is blocking the folks that may want to buy it. Not everyone is social. Lastly no one wants to be penalized. Especially new folks.

A simple solution would be to verify the person through his participation in other RC sites. A person may be real active elsewhere...

Nightstone

SENTRY
12th October 2013, 02:17 AM
What you call blocking - I call vetting. ;)

StompAE86
12th October 2013, 02:24 AM
This is THE place for fpv resources...if you throw a tanty and leave its your loss
I wish someone made me read more when I started, would of saved me a lot of money

steveno
12th October 2013, 02:28 AM
I can see both sides of the argument, its a fact of life there are scammers etc.
The whole internet has gone scammer crazy, I have so many different sites I access each one has a different password policy, some don't allow special chars, some do, the security questions as well can be a pain, gone from your mothers maiden name to multi questions.

However you get scammed once or your email gets hacked and you then see value in these precautions.

Steve.

Nightstone
12th October 2013, 02:51 AM
No one is throwing a tanty lol... Just pointing out how things work. If I cannot buy here I go elsewhere. If I cannot sell here I go elsewhere. I still like the site. Tons of great information. Etc...

Its nothing personal... Its just how business works.

I could have just sat back and sucked up the info and done fine. But I chose to interact.

Not being able to buy or sell here effects me not at all. there are way too many places out there that want my money.

The best thing here is the information... And its excellent.

Nightstone

This is THE place for fpv resources...if you throw a tanty and leave its your loss
I wish someone made me read more when I started, would of saved me a lot of money

Byro
12th October 2013, 05:02 AM
I look at the buy / sell section all the time but often the people are in another country. (Comes from being in Australia). This make it a lot harder to buy from other ofrum members than it would otherwise be. I have seen bargains but you can always look at it as a super duper member discount store!

EDIT: with a waiting period. :-)

DiscoTuna
12th October 2013, 05:32 AM
Your logic makes sense, apart from one thing - stuff appears to shift on here very quickly despite this policy (possibly because as people trust the price and people) and therefore I don't see any issues for the seller.

No one is throwing a tanty lol... Just pointing out how things work. If I cannot buy here I go elsewhere. If I cannot sell here I go elsewhere. I still like the site. Tons of great information. Etc...

Its nothing personal... Its just how business works.

I could have just sat back and sucked up the info and done fine. But I chose to interact.

Not being able to buy or sell here effects me not at all. there are way too many places out there that want my money.

The best thing here is the information... And its excellent.

Nightstone

StompAE86
12th October 2013, 06:30 AM
Thats exactly my point, there are real bargains here and they should go to someone who contributes not just leaches
Personally I think it should be 25 posts per month to keep viewing the for sale section but the whining would get intolerable

Byro
12th October 2013, 07:16 AM
Thats exactly my point, there are real bargains here and they should go to someone who contributes not just leaches
Personally I think it should be 25 posts per month to keep viewing the for sale section but the whining would get intolerable
25 per month? But I hardly make 50! how is a non forum wh0re going to manage?!

StompAE86
12th October 2013, 07:38 AM
Lol I was just stirring

BravoGolf
12th October 2013, 08:47 AM
Lol I was just stirring

^This post reminded me of this rich chestnut......

"I'm from the school that if you stir the shit pot, you should be required to lick the spoon. (http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?20739-Trappy-s-move-to-dismiss-vs-FAA&p=353553&viewfull=1#post353553)" ~ Sentry

@nightstone

With tons of newer folks entering this end of the hobby daily you are effectively blocking them.

Exactly! Or blocking them effectively....from (potentially) undermining the value of the lab.

Consider this, as a perk/benefit that has to be earned it mitigates the potential risk of the entire entity having a diminished value. ie Craigslist = the swapmeet of the internet. Who wants that rep?

A simple solution would be to verify the person through his participation in other RC sites.

Seriously who would have time for that?

I'm amazed at a certain individuals apparent omnipresence; however, I don't think even he could pull that off.

I think over time you'll come to find "the policy" just works.

StompAE86
12th October 2013, 09:48 AM
I agree with you and I do lick the proverbial spoon by helping where I can
Since I joined the lab the discussion has been reduced to "has my shit been sent yet" or "how to remove screws from my discovery" or other bs
Its not exactly hard to help out now days...learning something new is much harder
Wish I could subscribe to a person not a thread to learn new things...

steveno
12th October 2013, 02:55 PM
I am also from the school of listen 80% talk 20%, I often sit for a while when I join a forum to learn the forum dynamics, each forum has an individual personality, whats allowed in one could get you banned in another.

I also have no interest in the "emotion" that can be generated in forums I would rather add my experience and thoughts to helping others.

This however goes against my post count and being able to get benefits of the for sale section when I most need it when I am new to the hobby, by the time I hit 25 posts I will have made a choice and a purchase.

It will help with ongoing purchases as I move to 2g4, UHF etc, but often those ongoing costs are less that the initial entry to the hobby costs are.

One question, becoming a forum supported is there a way that doing so could remove the restrictions on the for sale section? Could generate a willingness to contribute :)

Steve.

BravoGolf
12th October 2013, 09:16 PM
This however goes against my post count and being able to get benefits of the for sale section when I most need it when I am new to the hobby, by the time I hit 25 posts I will have made a choice and a purchase.

Trust me there will be plenty more purchases, plenty! LOL

One question, becoming a forum supported is there a way that doing so could remove the restrictions on the for sale section? Could generate a willingness to contribute :)

The "fpv supporter" thing is new, but this doesn't sound like an unreasonable proposal. I don't have any say in the matter but it certainly dosn't seem unreasonable.

BG

Tiny
13th October 2013, 04:41 AM
Great idea as long as posts have meaning.

Karsten J.
15th October 2013, 08:31 AM
Hi

with the anti-spamming function is a great idea... meanwhile Im trying to get 25 posts :-)

Byro
15th October 2013, 09:46 PM
Hi

with the anti-spamming function is a great idea... meanwhile Im trying to get 25 posts :-)
I expect your post will be deleted... Try the Off Topic section, lots of random places to post.

DaaBears
17th October 2013, 12:15 AM
This is a terrible rule... Preventing someone from selling would make sense, but to prevent a new user from purchasing is terrible for this place. I came here for the wealth of information but have had to go over to RCG to buy anything for a month??? Makes no sense... I want to be able to refer new FPV guys over here to read up on some good knowledge, grab some good products at good prices, ohhh wait, you can't do that here... Constantly checking the classifieds is fun, and for a newbie, this site doesn't exactly have a smooth flow to it. You can ease that with tapatalk, but i find the site to be frustratingly difficult to navigate on a computer, therefore I can see how people would just go back to what they are comfortable with... Just my opinion, but the current rule sucks and will push many people away.

Preventing new users from selling for 30 days will help with fraud, but preventing eager buyers from even looking will make them go to other sites...

Sicarius
17th October 2013, 01:55 AM
I think the point was pretty clear, but let me repeat what others have said: if you only come here for buying something (basically leech off of the community) then what's the point, if you cant wait a month to begin with, then good luck when crashing and having to order spare parts. I can understand the issue with the topics being a bit scattered though, it's a bitch to navigate here sometimes

ke123
17th October 2013, 02:17 AM
Then go to other sites. See ya.

Hans
17th October 2013, 02:35 AM
Other sites don't have those regular free givaways though. That's how i got most of my gear.

DaaBears
17th October 2013, 02:40 AM
Just my observation... very poor layout combined with the inability to even browse the classifieds for a month could lead to users to bail on the lab before they ever have the chance to get started...

ke123
17th October 2013, 02:43 AM
Other sites don't have those regular free givaways though. That's how i got most of my gear.

Man, you're not supposed to spill the beans on that in the threads the 'under 25's' have access to. Crap.

ke123
17th October 2013, 02:43 AM
Just my observation... very poor layout combined with the inability to even browse the classifieds for a month could lead to users to bail on the lab before they ever have the chance to get started...

Then it wasn't meant to be. Again, see ya.

StompAE86
17th October 2013, 02:46 AM
So when you were young stamping your feet and whining always got you lollies?
And yeah the free Vtx deal this month is awesome!! Was totally worth waiting a month

Maximus
17th October 2013, 03:11 AM
You guys are evil :D

Byro
17th October 2013, 05:10 AM
The classifieds are meant to be a bonus, not the reason for coming to the lab.

DaaBears
17th October 2013, 05:46 AM
Lol, is this flyinggiants ke? I'm posting an opinion or observation... if you've looked at my posts I'm over twenty five and have been registered for a month. I'm not even talking about myself, but you must have missed my comment, "could lead users (not myself) to bail".. classifieds are part of forums, have been for years. you guys are treating it like some kind of right of passage.are you trying to attract people to fpv or run a secret club? I'm sure the sponsors like seeing more users and posts. before jumping to the "see ya" conclusion, maybe read first...? I'm giving some feedback from what I've seen, if this is a community that can't accept criticism, then it's no better than the other forums. Fortunately I've already met some great guys with great info here so I'm sure it's just an isolated user... my appologies again ke, I told you this place was confusing, I could have sworn I was posting in the "site suggestions" category.

Byro
17th October 2013, 06:10 AM
Daabears, if it makes you happy add, "To me" at the beginning of my last post. Though I believe most of the really active community would stay without it. I'm not adding much to this conversation, so I'm going to take a break from posting in this topic

DaaBears
17th October 2013, 07:40 AM
Daabears, if it makes you happy add, "To me" at the beginning of my last post. Though I believe most of the really active community would stay without it. I'm not adding much to this conversation, so I'm going to take a break from posting in this topic

You're fine byro! I really like a lot of what I see here at the lab, but I did notice a few things right of the bat that were, in my opinion, a little rough around the edges, typical of a newer forum. The classifieds will not necessarily make people leave and not return, but the rule in place will make people go to rcg more, and being that rcg is run by Jim Bourke and fellow pompous pricks, I would love to see Sentry get ,and most importantly, retain as many members as possible without them having to go to rcg for anything fpv! The issues of the flow and organization of the site are more important in my opinion, there's some serious work to be done there, but this isn't necessarily the right thread for it.

When I expressed my feedback and was greeted by a "see ya", it instantly reminded me of the pricks at flying giants who think they're all better than you. For someone like myself who is new to this community, to be greeted like that is uncalled for and extremely immature, given I was giving feedback that I thought to be constructive enough to share. If this site was perfect, sentry could just remove the "site suggestions", but it is there so the lab can grow, not so fan boys can jump and bash everyone who offers an opinion...

I made my opinions clear and am getting side tracked by an individual who didn't deserve a response so I'll call it a day here as well gentleman!

DaaBears
17th October 2013, 08:42 AM
Ps- I registered the 17th of September and have over 25 posts but still no access to the classifieds... maybe tomorrow I'll get lucky. In one month I spent over $800 on fpv gear over at rcg, I hate that place and am dying to spend my money over here! Unlock, unlock! :-)

ke123
17th October 2013, 11:13 AM
Sorry Daabears. I can see I was being not all that friendly, was in a bad mood, and i apologize for that.
If you read back in the thread, the reasons for the cooling off period have been justified over and over again including by Sentry. Briefly though, even buyers need to be vetted, and part of the 'philosophy' of the site is to set newbies on the right track before they spend all their money on equipment without having learned what they need to know first to properly select said equipment. The policy addresses both of those points.
For anyone doing FPV this forum is a tome of knowledge so hope you stick around.
Kris

Vitamin J
17th October 2013, 11:20 AM
Scroll back through this thread to the first page, read the date. When this thread was made there were probably 5000 members at most and now there are 15,000. This thread is the place to complain about the policy and get +1 post but don't expect the rules to be changed.

DaaBears
17th October 2013, 11:55 AM
Sorry Daabears. I can see I was being not all that friendly, was in a bad mood, and i apologize for that.
If you read back in the thread, the reasons for the cooling off period have been justified over and over again including by Sentry. Briefly though, even buyers need to be vetted, and part of the 'philosophy' of the site is to set newbies on the right track before they spend all their money on equipment without having learned what they need to know first to properly select said equipment. The policy addresses both of those points.
For anyone doing FPV this forum is a tome of knowledge so hope you stick around.
Kris

Scroll back through this thread to the first page, read the date. When this thread was made there were probably 5000 members at most and now there are 15,000. This thread is the place to complain about the policy and get +1 post but don't expect the rules to be changed.

KE, I appreciate that, and the explanations above makes total sense, just expressing my opinions... I've been reading up on fpv for months and slowly started gathering equipment. I found this site and really wanted to hit up the classifieds! I really dislike rcg and their hobby king mentality. They lost site of the hobby a long time ago, it's purely business over there. As long as hobby king is happy and keeps shelling out cash, Jim Bourke and rcg are happy...

Srush99
17th October 2013, 01:40 PM
Hi DaaBears - I see you've met the FPVlab welcoming committee...........

I see you're at least in the realm of 25 posts. Hopefully you'll get your golden key to use the classifieds soon. For me? I've got a bit more "work" to do to get mine.

By the way, welcome!

scottbeattie
26th October 2013, 12:58 AM
Although I've been a member for a while I rarely post. I don't think 25 min is a problem... I'd prefer the "protection" of some history rather than anonymous retail.

Cheers.

BravoGolf
26th October 2013, 10:17 AM
^ +1

JCLs
21st December 2013, 08:23 PM
I am new to FPV so reading a lot and for sure would be interested in buying? What is harm in access to For Sale items??

Srush99
21st December 2013, 08:36 PM
The website owner says it will keep scammers down.