PDA

View Full Version : DX6i program settings for Tricopter

Ant
25th February 2012, 09:18 PM
Hi all,
Hope this doesn't come across as a 'silly question'. I am very new to this RC world and am eagerly waiting for my tricopter kit to arrive. I just received my DX6i transmitter and have absolutely no idea how to set this thing up for the tricopter. Yes, I have the manual but reading that with all the jargon is like reading another language. I have seen heaps of YouTube stuff and read heaps of forums and websites on program settings but each of them seems to differ in some way or another.
What I am after is some simple advice on how to set this up for a first time tricopter flyer and possibly some explanation on how and why different setting effect the flight.
Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hans
26th February 2012, 02:26 AM
What flightcontroller are you going to use?

For your radio, airplane mode (normal, no elevon wingtypes) will work fine, or heli-mode with 90 degree swashplate (1 servo i believe) will do exactly the same.

What you probably want to do though, is using Dual Rates (D/R). Dual rates is were you move one stick 100% up and down, but the servo will only travel 30% or so. (30% is what you programmed in, and in the case of a Tricopter, it is 30% to the speedcontroller instead of a servo of course). I think that having 50% D/R on your aileron, 50% D/R on your pitch, and 100% on your rudder should be a good startingpoint.
I'm not familiar with the Dx6, but on a Dx8 when using the radio in heli-mode, you can also program a throttle-curve to smooth out the throttleresponse.

Ant
26th February 2012, 03:07 AM
Thanks Hans,
I will be using the HK Multicopter board.
From the searching I have done, there really doesn't seem to be ONE easy way to set things up which is frustrating for me as I am a "do it right or don't do it at all' person. I guess I have to try a few settings and see which works best for me??

Hans
26th February 2012, 03:19 AM
Yep :) And as the HK-board is almost the same as the KK-board, you might want to thoroughly read about how to reverse Gyro's as that's the most common problem when setting it up. On the KK-board, all potmeters on 50% (midpoint) should fly well. Depending on the firmware, not always do the leds blink according to the manual. this (http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.html?modea=manual) is a good startingpoint, but following it litterally might not always work. Once you've set one up and conquered all the weirdness of it, you'll understand the principles.

I'm still doubting to finish my tricopter. I think a quad will fly nicely for FPV and no yawmechanism to worry about. Decisions decisions...

edit* read this too (http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?3987-KK-Problems)

Ant
26th February 2012, 03:37 AM
Thanks Hans,
Looks like I am in for a pretty steep learning curve.........