PDA

View Full Version : HeadPlay HD FPV Headset w/ 40ch 5.8GHz Receiver - In Stock at GetFPV.com

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Andy_GetFPV
6th March 2015, 03:28 PM
GetFPV is excited to announce that we'll be carrying the new HeadPlay HD FPV Headset.

The HeadPlay HD's are available for Order now at GetFPV.com (http://www.getfpv.com/headplay-hd-fpv-headset-w-32ch-5-8ghz-receiver.html)

The new HeadPlay HD FPV Headset is packed full of features that every FPV enthusiast will enjoy. This headset was designed from the ground up with the FPV pilot in mind, with quality, performance and comfort at the forefront. The headset gently rests on the forehead/cheeks spreading the weight out evenly, which compared to many video goggles which rest on the bridge of the nose instead. Three straps securely hold the HeadPlay HD in place while at the same time blocking light coming in from the outside. The end result is a cinematic experience that is sure to impress. This headset is a great choice for FPV pilots that struggle to find a traditional FPV goggle that meets their Interpupillary distance (IPD). Instead of each eye having to look through separate optics, the new HeadPlay HD presents the pilot with one large screen. We've tested the HeadPlay HD with eye glasses and were able to make it work, even though the HeadPlay HD does not officially support wearing eye glasses at the same time.

Beautiful display.
1280x800px HD gloss screen. No blue screen issues.

Integrated 5.8GHz receiver.
32 channel receiver designed by RangeVideo. Super sensitive and works with Boscam/ImmersionRC/Fatshark. All channels. Channel switch by push-button and LED segment display on top of goggles.

HDMI input.
Connect the Headplay HD goggles directly to your DJI Inspire or DJI Lightbridge system. See in HD to make better aerial videos.

External AV input.
Connect your 900MHz/1.3GHz/2.4GHz external FPV audio video receivers to the Headplay HD. Bring new life to your old FPV setup. Try it with the super crisp and bright Headplay HD.

Picture

Screen resolution: 1280x800
Field of View: 72 degree
Fully adjustable picture via intuitive menus

General

Control via button panel (distinct button design for "blind" operation)
Rugged design with extremely durable materials
Very high comfort
Adjustable straps
Different density foam pads allow you to adapt the goggles to your needs.
Weight: 400g (excluding battery)
Easy to clean optics

Electrical Properties

Current consumption*340mA@12V
Supply voltage: 6-15V Recommended 2S LiPo
Reverse voltage protection

Connectors

HDMI type C (HDMI-in)
XS9JK (latched high end connector): Power Supply, Video-in, Audio-in, Ground, 5V out
SMA antenna connector

Integrated Features

40 channel 5.8GHz A/V receiver
Sensitivity: -90dBm
Built-in speaker with volume control on buttons
Frequencies (MHz) (Newest Version):

Band 1: 5865, 5845, 5825, 5805, 5785, 5765, 5745, 5725
Band 2: 5733, 5752, 5771, 5790, 5809, 5828, 5847, 5866
Band 3: 5705, 5685, 5665, 5645, 5885, 5905, 5925, 5945
Band 4: 5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, 5860, 5880
Band 5: 5658, 5695, 5732, 5769, 5806, 5843, 5880, 5917 (Raceband)

Included

2 Different lenses (to adapt to personal immersion wishes)
1100mA 2S hard case battery
30cm Cable (1 foot) with barrel type battery connector
250cm Cable (8 feet) with AV-in, Audio in and barrel connector
3 Face foam packs (different densities to allow comfort adjustment)
Lens cleaning cloth

Q&A

Q: Is the Headplay HD compatible with DJI Inspire1 and Lightbridge?*
A: Absolutely, the goggles are designed with these 2 products in mind! They can be directly connected via a HDMI cable. The picture quality is simply amazing!

Q: What material is used for the Headplay HD housing?
A: The goggles are made out automotive grade EPP which has been chosen for its superior strength (widely used in car bumpers) and for its low weight

Q: Can I wear glasses?*
A: Yes, but it depends on the width of your glasses. But the goggles can be modified with a sharp knife to adapt the width to your particular needs.

Q: Will there be spare housings available so that I can make adjustments to fit my huge glasses?
A: Yes, we probably make the housings available at an attractive price.

Q: Is the Headplay HD 3D enabled
A: No, the goggle uses a single high resolution screen. But due to the unprecedented viewing angle, the immersive feeling almost like 3D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3b-SuS9d-0

http://d1b5yzykmxw6e8.cloudfront.net/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/e/headplay-hd-fpv-headset-red_2.jpg (http://www.getfpv.com/headplay-hd-fpv-headset-w-32ch-5-8ghz-receiver.html)
http://d1b5yzykmxw6e8.cloudfront.net/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/e/headplay-hd-fpv-headset-black_2.jpg
http://d1b5yzykmxw6e8.cloudfront.net/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/e/headplay-hd-fpv-headset-white_1.jpg
http://d1b5yzykmxw6e8.cloudfront.net/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/e/headplay-hd-fpv-lcd_2.jpg

Order your HeadPlay HD's today at GetFPV.com (http://www.getfpv.com/headplay-hd-fpv-headset-w-32ch-5-8ghz-receiver.html)

timnilson
6th March 2015, 04:51 PM
I'm excited that we were able to secure the first batch of these for GetFPV. It's an amazing product that you come to love immediately when you put it on for the first time. I know they are big, but the image is absolutely increadible. They are also super comfortable to wear. Saw this earlier today... :)

kalikraven
6th March 2015, 05:51 PM
I was able to demo these at the CFL FPV meet this past weekend and they are incredible. I own some Fatshark HD's and will be keeping them due to the 3D and Recording capability but as far as image size and quality these are much better. I preordered these as soon as I could! I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews on these because I know that they will be awesome. Sorry Fatshark but I guess you need to step up your game a little!!! But hey Competition breeds innovation and the consumer wins!

G-unit
6th March 2015, 09:15 PM
Cant wait for them to come out...

walkeer
8th March 2015, 08:10 AM
What type is the LCD? TN, IPS? what is the total inputlag of the LCD?

noishi
8th March 2015, 12:43 PM
is the production model going to be the foam casing or a plastic casing? the photo of the red/black one looks plastic, but the one is the (preproduction) videos appear foam.

boopidoo
8th March 2015, 01:48 PM
EPP (high grade automotive EPP) foam was chosen because of weight and durability. I think this is in the info above.

It's not easy to make good renders from CAD that shows foam realistically.

Deadstick
8th March 2015, 03:26 PM
Ordered. Looking forward to these! :)

Hellwell
8th March 2015, 07:24 PM
ordered! wish I knew what number in the queue I was (at getfpv) and how many are expected to be in the first shipment...... (Hint Hint oh GetFPV Andy... :) )

AtariJoe
8th March 2015, 08:36 PM
How many? Well, I could tell you but then Iīd have to... ;)
I think a russian would come after me. LOL

Hellwell
8th March 2015, 08:37 PM
How many? Well, I could tell you but then Iīd have to... ;)
I think a russian would come after me. LOL

That's a risk I am willing for you to take!!! :P

elitetux
8th March 2015, 10:49 PM
Does this come with an antenna for the video reciever?

BVincent
9th March 2015, 07:50 AM
How long does the battery last with these? A larger HD screen must use more ma than others?

boomalati.rex
9th March 2015, 08:51 AM
How long does the battery last with these? A larger HD screen must use more ma than others?

The specs are 340mA draw and it comes with a 1100 mAh battery. So 2.5 hours to be safe?

boomalati.rex
9th March 2015, 08:53 AM
After fighting with an Oculus Rift setup that never came to be, I'm happy to see GetFPV getting us down the right path!

BVincent
9th March 2015, 08:54 AM
The specs are 340mA draw and it comes with a 1100 mAh battery. So 2.5 hours to be safe?

Thanks for the quick reply. That's pretty good :)

boomalati.rex
9th March 2015, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. That's pretty good :)

I happened to be on and I like to help where I can. This may be an evolutionary milestone for FPV.

imagebuff
9th March 2015, 12:07 PM
I built a fresnel based FPV viewing box 5 years ago and it's still whips all the goggles (DOM, DOM V2, DOM HD) in terms of being immersive. Practicality no. Up until now the goggles were winning on the practicality front but this display is pulling that closer. What I found with fresnel simulators is that the eye is focused at near infinity which tricks the brain into seeing objects at a real distance. For whatever reason this provides a very 3D like illusion that I just don't get with the current FS goggles. This is one of the reasons that fresnels have been used in most of the commercial flight simulators for many years. I've pre-ordered and am really looking forward to the Headplay HD's. Yes I already own DOM HD's.

Hollywood911
9th March 2015, 12:47 PM
Order placed! Thanks

BVincent
9th March 2015, 12:50 PM
I'm going to pull the trigger for 2 of these myself! :D

Socal Rich
9th March 2015, 08:42 PM
Well I just bought two! I can't wait to try these out!

Sgt. Schultz
9th March 2015, 09:05 PM
Is $50 off Headplay coupon code J248HHWXPCWHMR still good? :rolleyes:

barnyardflyer
11th March 2015, 09:46 PM
I have one on preorder also, hope it is as great as it sounds!

BVincent
11th March 2015, 10:04 PM
A friend in our club is also getting some of these but while he waits for them he built his own. They are not as pretty as these and they are kinda gangly with open wires and exposed board but the effect is awesome! These are going to be great! He sold his fat sharks today :p

lookoutbelow
12th March 2015, 01:13 AM
I think I want these too. I have the dom HDs and V2s but it'd be nice to have this for certain setups. I just wish they looked smaller lol. Every time I see them it reminds of that Johnny got his gun movie where the poor guy got his legs and arms blown off and he's laying in bed with a box similar to these on his face. And then I get bummed out.

boopidoo
12th March 2015, 05:05 AM
What, you're into FPV and you're worried about how you'll look when you fly? I get it that ppl are concerned about size for logistics reasons, ie more of a hassle to transport. But I really can't understand the fashion aspect. IMO all goggles looks extremely nerdy and it doesn't really bother me at all. :)

Think of it this way, if you're into customizing you get whole lot of more area to tag it anyway you'd like. Think of the NHL keeper helmets. ;)

https://www.google.se/search?q=nhl+keeper+helmets&espv=2&biw=1185&bih=1037&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yVYBVd_iOKnMyAOjhYLAAw&ved=0CCgQsAQ

Joe2015
12th March 2015, 05:46 AM
Seems good, Cant wait for get one

elitetux
12th March 2015, 08:24 AM
There is def plenty of room for tagging it and customization. I just pre-ordered as well. Has there been any indication if an approximate release date?

boopidoo
12th March 2015, 08:56 AM
29th of April on GetFPV.com

BVincent
12th March 2015, 10:07 AM
Here's the ones my friend made until these are available. Last pic is the fat Shark view on Predator V2's. Not bad for $100. At least they will get him by until these Head Plays are here.

DesignGeek
14th March 2015, 10:40 PM
Ordered mine tonight. A real impulse purchase- I usually do not go in for the Pre-order thing. They look like the display quality is fantastic in the video, and I needed a second display anyway to fly proximity with my son, who wears glasses.... this seems like a pretty good value when you consider a monitor and receiver can cost $150. They certainly look bulkier and dorkier than fat sharks, but there is no stealthy way to wear a display over your face

ems1016
14th March 2015, 11:17 PM
Will these goggles work with the Phantom Vision 2+, Version. 3.0? If so, what else need I buy to make them work? Eddie

cableline01
15th March 2015, 12:58 AM
they have a HDMI port on the side so if it has a output for hdmi your good.

kalikraven
15th March 2015, 06:33 AM
The bulkier and dorkier part is why I walked by the booth so many times without checking them out. I'm glad I finally did as the image was incredible. Very large and crisp and clean edge to edge.

DesignGeek
15th March 2015, 08:30 AM
Looking forward to trying them on. Maybe there's enough room on the roof of these to mount a solar powered exhaust fan to keep you face cool. Lol.

DesignGeek
15th March 2015, 08:33 AM
I hope GetFpv is coming up to the Toledo WeakSignals Show in April. ---I'd love to get a demo a couple weeks before mine show up.

boopidoo
15th March 2015, 10:28 AM
Looking forward to trying them on. Maybe there's enough room on the roof of these to mount a solar powered exhaust fan to keep you face cool. Lol.
Well definitely but why add weight and complexity with the solar panels? Why not just add a very small fan that taps power off the goggle power system?

kalikraven
15th March 2015, 10:29 AM
Paintball mask sometimes have fans.

boopidoo
15th March 2015, 11:26 AM
I don't really think fans are needed though. It's quite a bit of area inside so they shouldn't fog up.

KD0ZEQ
15th March 2015, 11:35 AM
Would be nice to fit a hat if you have a bald head like mine not to mention the pic . Super flex brim to go over the top strap and your melon for sure. ?

elitetux
15th March 2015, 11:56 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/15/05936c7f95deb87ca2529f279bed7988.jpg need something like this!

BVincent
15th March 2015, 12:06 PM
Nice^^^^

rwijnhov
16th March 2015, 02:25 PM
How will these work for big headed people? My v2's just fit. Would be nice to have something nice and sharp and fitting. Any reviews out there?

Andy_GetFPV
16th March 2015, 03:33 PM
How will these work for big headed people? My v2's just fit. Would be nice to have something nice and sharp and fitting. Any reviews out there?

Yeah, these should fit pretty much just about everyone. The nice thing is there is just 1 big open screen, so the distance of the eyes and shape of the face don't have to be so exact as with smaller goggles.

rwijnhov
16th March 2015, 05:15 PM
How about screen door? Does you see it or not?

34Ford
16th March 2015, 05:48 PM
Wonder how bad these will look for those of us that dont have a Inspire or lightbridge. I got this off of rcg.

For those of you asking about what Tx/Camera to use, yes an HD link like Lightbridge would give you the best overall picture, however a standard definition analogue system looks good as well. The monitor will simply upscale the signal to the native resolution of 1280x800. It won't be an HD picture, but it still looks very nice on such a high quality screen.

Canard
16th March 2015, 09:51 PM
I have an extra large head and they fit me fine. I tried these on at the Leesburg flyin and found them to be very imersive and way more comfortable than they look. I can't wait to get mine.

boopidoo
17th March 2015, 01:15 AM
Wonder how bad these will look for those of us that dont have a Inspire or lightbridge. I got this off of rcg.
It will not look bad at all, the image will be clearer and IMO look much better then in traditional goggles.

rwijnhov
17th March 2015, 03:48 AM
How about screen door? Will we see the pixels or not?

ForteD
17th March 2015, 12:50 PM
I use 26inch TV 1360x768 as a monitor, it work great to me play game, watching movie, all other stuff of normal monitor. So I think with the smaller screen as this product, same resolution, will give us a good look, dont worry about it.
Already ordered :).

steph_a
17th March 2015, 03:41 PM
Am I the only one who is itching like crazy to try these on? I have Dom HDs and the FOV is already really nice. I can't even imagine what 72deg FOV will be like. Got mine pre-ordered and very excited to give them a go.

Andy_GetFPV
17th March 2015, 04:25 PM
How about screen door? Will we see the pixels or not?

When I tried them on I didn't see any "screen door effect" or pixels. The screen is very clear and high resolution.

elitetux
17th March 2015, 04:36 PM
With an HD source I'm sure there will be no problem...but using the built in 5.8ghz rx I would imagine there would be a little bit of pixelization similar to when you play a Standard definition signal over your hdtv.

ForteD
17th March 2015, 10:06 PM
With an HD source I'm sure there will be no problem...but using the built in 5.8ghz rx I would imagine there would be a little bit of pixelization similar to when you play a Standard definition signal over your hdtv.

you can try this at home, just use your tablet, open some youtube video at full screen with 480p. It really good, no pixel, but if your try hard to find it, then nothing to say. And with smaller screen, your can't see the broken pixel as your tv. But if you imagine it will look like your hd tv at home then it can't be, because technology of our humanity still can't do that.
The point is, I think this product better than traditional goggles, with a good price. With a HDMI input, you can do a lot of stuff in your home not just fpv, like a pc monitor, etc.

elitetux
17th March 2015, 10:13 PM
Oh don't get me wrong lol I have no doubt these will be 100% better than standard fpv goggles - I preordered these almost instantly. I'm hoping to be able to to mod these to fit my wide glasses as I tried a set of fat sharks with the diopters and they werent quite strong enough for my horrible eyes.

PredatorUAV
18th March 2015, 11:24 AM
Well definitely but why add weight and complexity with the solar panels? Why not just add a very small fan that taps power off the goggle power system?

Just like the new Fatshark face plate does!

Need4Speed
18th March 2015, 01:32 PM
will there be 1.3ghz modules to add on? i dont run 5.8ghz at all but id like to have a receiver to eliminate wires and a tripod...

Andy_GetFPV
18th March 2015, 03:12 PM
will there be 1.3ghz modules to add on? i dont run 5.8ghz at all but id like to have a receiver to eliminate wires and a tripod...

The 5.8 module is built in, but there is an A/V in and HDMI in, so you could use any other receiver you want and simply use the A/V in port to send the video signal to the Headplays.

Hmerly
18th March 2015, 05:14 PM
Do you have measurements for these goggles? Not of the box, but of the actual goggle

TWT
19th March 2015, 07:07 AM
Before I switched over to my DominatorV2's I had a set of the Mareks 5" goggle/box setup, and even though it was apparently a 800-640 resolution I still couldnt get over the view of noticing the pixels on the screen from the fresnel lense. Tried several different modding ideas but never got over the fact that I noticed the pixels all the time. Plus having to wear 1.5 reading glasses under them to bring the view into focus was a PITA trying to get all situated before taking off. I think I would have to try a pair of these before I bought them I'm afraid.

boopidoo
19th March 2015, 07:40 AM
Before I switched over to my DominatorV2's I had a set of the Mareks 5" goggle/box setup, and even though it was apparently a 800-640 resolution I still couldnt get over the view of noticing the pixels on the screen from the fresnel lense. Tried several different modding ideas but never got over the fact that I noticed the pixels all the time. Plus having to wear 1.5 reading glasses under them to bring the view into focus was a PITA trying to get all situated before taking off. I think I would have to try a pair of these before I bought them I'm afraid.
What display did you use, it seems that some use really low resolution displays in those, some even 320x240. Are you certain the display was 800 (w)?

Hendo
19th March 2015, 05:33 PM
Just placed my order, excited to try them out.

uglybirdrc
20th March 2015, 05:59 AM
How comfortable are these? Do you get any head/neck fatigue because of the weight or does the overhead strap accommodate for that?

TWT
20th March 2015, 08:06 AM
What display did you use, it seems that some use really low resolution displays in those, some even 320x240. Are you certain the display was 800 (w)?

They came with the Cyclops 5" LCD, and am pretty sure it was 800-640 if I remember correctly. I think the major factor was the reading glasses I had to use in order to bring the picture into focus. I mistakenly posted above they were 1.25's when actually the el cheapo reading glasses were 3.0.

Stringer
20th March 2015, 02:28 PM
Maybe it would have been nicer if the 5.8g rx is optional as it would have lowered the cost. Not all of us use 5.8g or some others do but use diversity receivers.

boopidoo
20th March 2015, 02:52 PM
I don't think the internal rx increase the cost that much. In fact I think they've probably cost about the same without the vrx. A few bucks maybe...

havi0019
20th March 2015, 06:23 PM
what are the optics used? I have the crappy Hobby King Quanum headset and I don't like the fresnel lens at all..hard to get a good focus and video blacks out often.

Is there an actual lens in it or is it similar to Quanum where its just a sheet of plastic thats adjustable? this is the only thing holding be back from buying...also is there any latency in using analog video with the HD screen? To confirm the receiver onboard doesn't have to convert the video signal to digital..if so I bet at least 150ms delay..

thanks--hoping for good answers as I really want these to blow fatties out of the water

boopidoo
21st March 2015, 02:30 AM
If I know HK at all they've chosen the cheapest lens available not really bothering about optic quality. :/

AussieHoppy
21st March 2015, 06:49 PM
These look like the direction Marek's box goggs were heading in.
I have a 7" version of Marek's and as others have mentioned, the exagerated pixilation plus cheap fresnel lenses were my bug-bears. We collectively started looking for a higher quality fresnel and Marek is now selling an upgrade fresnel... but my goggs are shelved, the supplied double sided adhesive tape let go and the LCD screen simply flopped over, that's all it took to damage the screen so now a left hand vertical band is unusable on the display, cheap Chinese quality LCD perhaps? That said, the concept worked very very well, FOV & immersive experience is most certainly up there on the broad grinned smile factor :D so I can imagine what a HD screen should look like :cool:
Someone earlier mentioned their concern using head tracking, having used Marek's plastic cased goggs I don't see it being a problem, unless you're fpv pylon racing or 3D aeros where you'd snap your head around, also the additional FOV I found my eyes were doing most of the movement- it's a big image to take in.
I've pre-ordered, I have always loved the 46* fov on my rcv922's... I was holding off for the FS HD's but I think I'll step back from them, I'd replace my 922's for new ones in a heart beat if the became available again, but I'm more than halfway expecting these HP HD's to become my favourite.
My only concern is the fragility of the screen...

OldManJ
22nd March 2015, 11:06 AM
So I took the plunge like others and have preordered. Was a little confused at getFPV.com when it says you get free shipping on $60+ but that option was not there. I am very excited about this because I have FatShark Attitude2 goggles and they tend to move on my head and I have to readjust in midflight. But I am all about the immersion in flying. That is why I went ahead and purchased these.

Hendo
22nd March 2015, 11:10 AM
I too am disappointed about no free shipping but ordered anyway. Hope they are worth it.

Cornelis
22nd March 2015, 04:39 PM
How and when will we know where we stand in the que. Could you also let the preorders know if they can expect to receive theirs in this first shipment and if not when the next round and how large that round will be. I would just like to know if I am in this first round or if I will be waiting another month or so. My investment is $400 AUD for these and a little information doesn't seem unreasonable.

ofenheimer
22nd March 2015, 04:41 PM
Hello

is this e Boscom receiver ?
Wath is the best combination TX for Headplay ?

THX

timnilson
22nd March 2015, 06:46 PM
How and when will we know where we stand in the que. Could you also let the preorders know if they can expect to receive theirs in this first shipment and if not when the next round and how large that round will be. I would just like to know if I am in this first round or if I will be waiting another month or so. My investment is $400 AUD for these and a little information doesn't seem unreasonable.

Everyone that has ordered with us is in the first batch of headsets produced. Once we near the end of the first production run, we'll announce that here and on the product page at GetFPV. I am estimating that we have another 2 weeks of sales before the first batch runs out. As to exact release date, no news yet.

timnilson
22nd March 2015, 06:53 PM
Hello

is this e Boscom receiver ?
Wath is the best combination TX for Headplay ?

THX

Not a boscam RX, but you can pair it with a VTX like this:

http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-32ch-a-v-500mw-transmitter-ts58500.html

OR

http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-32ch-a-v-600mw-transmitter-ts832.html

We've been told that an ImmersionRC TX will work fine as well, but we have not been able to verify this yet.

Cornelis
22nd March 2015, 06:54 PM
Everyone that has ordered with us is in the first batch of headsets produced. Once we near the end of the first production run, we'll announce that here and on the product page at GetFPV. I am estimating that we have another 2 weeks of sales before the first batch runs out. As to exact release date, no news yet.

Thanks for the info

shockz
23rd March 2015, 09:54 AM
Does the April 29th release date still hold true? Or are these going to realistically be pushed back into May?

timnilson
23rd March 2015, 10:41 AM
Does the April 29th release date still hold true? Or are these going to realistically be pushed back into May?

We currently have no other date than the "as early as April 29th". For a first release of a product like this, past experience tells me that the date can easily slip.

tekyguy
23rd March 2015, 02:23 PM
Just ordered a red one :-)

shockz
23rd March 2015, 02:28 PM
We currently have no other date than the "as early as April 29th". For a first release of a product like this, past experience tells me that the date can easily slip.

i have enough experience with stuff like this to be well aware of the "slippage" that can occur...especially with injection plastic molding (which seems to be what's left to go on these...i've seen major time delays for this exact reason)

either way, i may still be in for a pre-order....i'm gonna think on it

esmoglo
24th March 2015, 09:28 AM
I too am disappointed about no free shipping but ordered anyway. Hope they are worth it.

Me too but that's life I guess on a preorder paying in full they should have offered free shipping.

heli_headcase
24th March 2015, 01:16 PM
Can anyone suggest a good headtracking module to go with these goggles? I owened the latest Skyzone 3D goggles for a very short time and planned two aircraft to have P&T cameras installed. I kinda need a tracker if I'm to buy these Headplays.

Thanks

Stringer
24th March 2015, 02:10 PM
Is this headset light enough to swing your head around quickly when used with an external headtracker? I'm almost pre-ordering but worried that it may feel "heavy" when moving the head around.

boopidoo
24th March 2015, 02:13 PM
Is not heavy and also since it has three straps it will likely sit more securely then regular goggles.

heli_headcase
24th March 2015, 02:51 PM
I think the overall weight is 'lowish' but if the display is at the far end of the housing there will be a large torque moment if a fast swing is performed. Hey, it's great for developing your neck muscles! :D

I just want to look around so I'm not concerned about the weight.

I did a little Googling around for tracking units and the Trinity (in the case) seems to be the best unit. Anyone have any experiance with the Hobby King two axis tracker system (around $50US)?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10994__HobbyKing_X_1000_Advanced_Head_Movement_T racker_Gyro.html

boopidoo
24th March 2015, 02:58 PM
Only a large moment if it's CG is far away from the rotation axis of your head. ;) If it's CG is not far away then the moment will not be that significant. Is not as if the whole weight is where the display is. Also the battery is on the back of the head countering the weight of the goggles.

heli_headcase
24th March 2015, 03:22 PM
Only a large moment if it's CG is far away from the rotation axis of your head. ;) If it's CG is not far away then the moment will not be that significant. Is not as if the whole weight is where the display is. Also the battery is on the back of the head countering the weight of the goggles.

Sorry but you don't have it quite right. Adding weight to the back of the head will take the load from your neck in having to support the mass of the goggles (a good thing) but only adds to the rotational (torque) moment. Think of the rotational axis at your neck as the center of rotation of a flywheel. Adding that battery as a rear counterbalance adds to the mass of the flywheel and centers its mass on the neck. There's no reduction in the force needed to swing the mass (goggles) around its central mass.

heli_headcase
24th March 2015, 04:25 PM
Sooooooooo...I've placed an order today. This is the second goggle set I've purchased sight unseen as a preorder. Sure hope this time is a winner.

chatch
24th March 2015, 04:52 PM
i saw the goggles at the CFL meet and they're 100% amazing. maybe even 101% amazing

rank
24th March 2015, 04:54 PM
For the headtracker, be sure to check: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677559
$20 worth of part, easy to build and great performance, seemingly.

steph_a
24th March 2015, 05:00 PM
i saw the goggles at the CFL meet and they're 100% amazing. maybe even 101% amazing

How would you compare them with traditional goggles overall ?

chatch
24th March 2015, 05:05 PM
they really don't compare. my dom v2 will be for sale as soon as i get the headplay goggles in my hands

boopidoo
24th March 2015, 05:05 PM
Sorry but you don't have it quite right. Adding weight to the back of the head will take the load from your neck in having to support the mass of the goggles (a good thing) but only adds to the rotational (torque) moment. Think of the rotational axis at your neck as the center of rotation of a flywheel. Adding that battery as a rear counterbalance adds to the mass of the flywheel and centers its mass on the neck. There's no reduction in the force needed to swing the mass (goggles) around its central mass.
You're correct. I didn't mean that the weight in the back reduces the rotational moment (torque). What I meant was that the weight in the back counters the weight in the front so that it doesn't feel that the goggles are hanging (being front heavy). I should've explained this more clearly, was a bit tired.

Hmerly
24th March 2015, 05:11 PM
I made one of those and they work fantastic. Highly recommended

For the headtracker, be sure to check: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677559

heli_headcase
24th March 2015, 06:14 PM

That is a great find, thank you! Looks like I'll be trading time for money but I'll finally have some exposure to Arduino boards. That should prove interesting all by itself :)

Asomaro
24th March 2015, 06:46 PM
Hmmm very interesting - look forward to the first reviews

mixflying
24th March 2015, 10:21 PM
Real image?

KickerOfElves
24th March 2015, 11:44 PM
I just placed an order for the white ones. I can't wait to ditch the Fatties, they tear up my beautiful face after a day or so of flying.

Doostur
25th March 2015, 10:04 AM
Bah I got bored last night in bed. Came across these. Now I'm $250 buck poorer. Needed a new pair of goggles... I guess I'll ditch my monitor idea for now and just use goggles!

elitetux
25th March 2015, 10:09 AM
That was my debate too...monitor or goggles...as my eyesight is pretty bad and I need glasses, the fatshark style goggles are not ideal as I would need to cut up the lenses of an old pair of glasses...and this seems to be the best of both worlds.

Hawleaboy
26th March 2015, 02:40 AM
Does anybody know how these work if you need slight adjustment for reading and close focus? Regular optics in my skyzone goggles are fine for my vision. I just want to make sure these will work before ordering.

lvzx14
27th March 2015, 01:53 AM
Pre ordere;)

Cornelis
27th March 2015, 02:58 AM
Is it the 29th yet? Is it huh is it, is it? Huh?

heli_headcase
27th March 2015, 03:09 AM

Hey, calm down -- it's not even April yet!

lvzx14
27th March 2015, 03:42 AM
Hey, calm down -- it's not even April yet!

He was joking

timnilson
27th March 2015, 12:47 PM
Quick update on status. Sales for the Headplay HDs has accelerated. We now have about 5 days worth of Headplay HD units before our first batch runs out (BATCH #1). We've secured an additional batch (BATCH #2) and will continue the pre-order after we run out of BATCH #1. Once we run out of BATCH #1, the Headplay HD will go to the regular retail price of $249.99 -- expect that to happen in about 5 days or so.

So far, the Headplay crew is still on target to provide us units in late April as was the goal. No word yet for when we may be able to start shipping units from the upcoming BATCH #2.

cableline01
27th March 2015, 01:24 PM
I don't quite understand the report. The fist batch will start shipping in late April correct? and after that the second batch will start being produced?

MEGAjig
27th March 2015, 02:01 PM
Just ordered the white ones :D
Can't wait.

The conversion rate to Canadian Dollars sucks now. All in all it came out to $340 CAD with shipping :/

Still worth it in my books. A built in DVR would be nice tho.

rank
27th March 2015, 03:26 PM
Just put a mobius inside, plenty of space ))

Johnny
27th March 2015, 04:05 PM
I have been looking at these for too long.....I pulled the trigger! :D

Kalle75
27th March 2015, 04:31 PM
Preordered the red ones 2 days ago. :)
Canīt wait. My Dom V1 is sold.

I think the report means sale will start earlier ?!

Best regards
Kalle

Dogsock
29th March 2015, 01:15 PM
Preordered the white ones! I love that RangeVideo is behind the design. That put it over the top for me as they know what they're doing.

It also doesn't hurt giving Tim and Andy more of my money...

Here's what I'm going to recommend for Batch #1 supporters. Take good care of us. Early adopters should have early access to upgrades and v.2 updates. Remember, we're the ones taking the risk and you know that we will provide the best consumer hands on review.

MEGAjig
29th March 2015, 01:53 PM
Preordered the white ones! I love that RangeVideo is behind the design. That put it over the top for me as they know what they're doing.

It also doesn't hurt giving Tim and Andy more of my money...

Here's what I'm going to recommend for Batch #1 supporters. Take good care of us. Early adopters should have early access to upgrades and v.2 updates. Remember, we're the ones taking the risk and you know that we will provide the best consumer hands on review.

Well said. I'm looking forward to my white pair as well.

gnrc
29th March 2015, 02:55 PM
Did not find the info on the headplay website - what number of pins does the locking connector to have?
So I can order a couple ahead of time to make custom cables

MEGAjig
29th March 2015, 09:32 PM
looks like a 5 pin XS9JK connector from the youtube video

Mpkiteman
30th March 2015, 05:11 AM
The only thing I'm afraid about, it's the Fresnel lens used for this display.
The problem with that lens compares to spherical lenses, it's that induces glares and Halo effects.
I know that, because I have Android 3D goggles with this system, it's working nicely, but when image is bright, I have Halo effects...But the pannels are very small compared to the Headplay.
Other problem I see, it's the cleaning : scratches may occur...beacause of the fragile surface (thin plastic sheet).

Sneer82
30th March 2015, 05:53 AM
I just wish that they've used plastic instead of EPP. This would allow them to create smaller goggles because plastic could be much thinner than the thickness of the EPP foam required to make it strong enough. Personally I would be happy to accept weight trade off too.

Have a look at HTC Vive below. IMHO they look slick, and thanks to their shape appear to be visually smaller. Unfortunately these are not available yet, and I doubt they will be any good for FPV without additional electronics...

http://i.imgur.com/BBLN25g.jpg

boopidoo
30th March 2015, 07:08 AM
Choice of foam vs plastic did not significantly make the Headplay HD larger, maybe by a few mm but not by much. Durability and weight is much better with this kind of EPP though.

Deadstick
30th March 2015, 08:57 AM
I don't understand the "suggestions" for elemental design of the product. It is what it is, either buy it, or dare I say it? Make your own and market it.

Sneer82
30th March 2015, 09:08 AM
I have bought it. :) But at the same time I wanted to share my thoughts, because that might help shape future product revisions.

ofenheimer
30th March 2015, 09:27 AM
they have built so Google's cost-saving.
Just for us.
what is the problem?
Do you have to be beautiful for flying.
No WTF.
Monitor quality must be good. not anymore.

ofenheimer
30th March 2015, 09:31 AM
they have built so Google's cost-saving.
Just for us.
what is the problem?
Do you have to be beautiful for flying.
No WTF.
Monitor quality must be good. not anymore.

Rhysen
30th March 2015, 10:51 AM
So what will I need to hook up my 1.2 receiver to this headset? I want to be ready the day it arrives. What parts exactly and where to buy them.

Thanks,

boopidoo
30th March 2015, 10:58 AM
I have bought it. :) But at the same time I wanted to share my thoughts, because that might help shape future product revisions.
Good that can shed some light into the development then. :) Plastic was considered but scrapped because this type of EPP was better in almost all regards. The most negative aspect of foam is that some plastic parts were needed to hold connectors and buttons etc. Such could have been implemented in the casing itself if it were plastic. But as I said, plastic case is a lot heavier and also not as rugged and impacts are not absorbed as well as with a foam case. Cost was not the deciding factor at all, functionality and durability was.

Return2Flight
30th March 2015, 11:33 AM
I didn't see any mention of a DVR, or even the AV out function for that matter. There seems to be AV in options. Maybe I missed something in the descriptions but do we have any recording options?

That would be the only thing holding me back from trying them.

cableline01
30th March 2015, 11:40 AM
That is correct no AV out only inputs.

Rhysen
30th March 2015, 12:39 PM
That is correct no AV out only inputs.

So what are the AV inputs? Special cable needed?

steph_a
30th March 2015, 12:43 PM
I saw a mention of a AV input cable harness included to accomodate connecting a external video receiver. I believe it will have RCA connectors so we can use whatever receiver we want at this point. Someone correct me if I'm wrong ...

boopidoo
30th March 2015, 12:45 PM
So what are the AV inputs? Special cable needed?
I think two cables are included, one for only power and one for power and AV-In. I'm not 100% sure exactly what the shipping configuration will be though. I've also talked to Vova had said they will probably sell loose connectors and extension cables as well. If so I'm sure GetFPV will stock these as well.

Stringer
30th March 2015, 01:01 PM
I hope it has all the cables needed to connect an external vRx out of the box, otherwise that would suck as I don't use 5.8g.

Btw, does the built-in 5.8g vRx have a separate on/off switch? I don't need it so I don't want it powered while the rest of the system is.

boopidoo
30th March 2015, 01:36 PM
I would be very surprised if that wasn't the case.

imagebuff
30th March 2015, 03:29 PM
Oh major bummer no AV outputs. Was thinking of modding it w/ a small DVR.

Sneer82
30th March 2015, 03:30 PM
You can always get this, and call it a day:
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__64805__Aomway_DVR_5_8GHz_32ch_Video_Receiver_wit h_Built_in_Video_Recorder.html

elitetux
30th March 2015, 03:30 PM
I'd imagine it wouldnt be too difficult to be able to tap into the existing video out to lcd wiring for the 5.8 rx..not sure ifnthat would affect the picture.

Johnny
30th March 2015, 04:24 PM
Oh major bummer no AV outputs. Was thinking of modding it w/ a small DVR.

Maybe one of these.....http://www.surveilzone.com/1ch-d1-mini-dvr-board-support-32g-tf-card-fpv-black-box-dr1169

chatch
30th March 2015, 04:40 PM
the 5.8 rx is a great feature to have built in. but i just flew my QAV250 today with 1280mhz video... CRAZY range. can't wait to get the headplays

fredd32
30th March 2015, 08:01 PM
I would love to pre order these but need confirmation of compatibility with immersion rc vtx.

cableline01
30th March 2015, 09:37 PM
it does all the 5.8 bands
Headplay specs
Band 1: 5725, 5745, 5765, 5785, 5805, 5825, 5845, 5865
Band 2: 5733, 5752, 5771, 5790, 5809, 5828, 5847, 5866
Band 3: 5705, 5685, 5665, 5645, 5885, 5905, 5925, 5945
Band 4: 5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, 5860, 5880

----------------------------------------------------------------
Immersion RC VTX
Power Output: 28dBm (600mW)

RF Impedance: 50 ohms

Frequency, Band 1: 5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, 5860MHz

So yes from what i see it would be on the headplay band 4 channel 1-8

fredd32
30th March 2015, 09:57 PM
Thanks. Yes, but immersion rc has a history of complicating things with hidden encryption in their vtx in order to block using some of non immersion/fatshark stuff. Not always working great even with everything appearing compatible. Only way to know for sure is for someone to test it (see below). (Not necessarily in reference to this product ).

"That's because their receiver just isn't compatible, the same applies to the multistandard LCDs sold by the Chinese. Just because the frequency matches doesn't mean it'll produce a good image and/or offer good range, if only it was that simple. The receiver needs to properly demodulate the baseband signal and have matching de-emphasis curves for the audio/video, if not, audio/video quality and/or range will suffer."

"Yet another prime example of a Chinese company wanting to cut corners and make a quick buck on a flawed product. The only way this could work is that the receiver has different, selectable, baseband demodulators for each brand of Vtx they want to tune to. That however entails a lot more than just tuning to the proper frequency and simply ignoring the rest."
-Sassen(immersion rc).

boopidoo
31st March 2015, 01:15 AM
In some videos you can see ppl using nexwave stuff and these goggles together. Exactly how compatible they are I don't know but the ppl trying seem pretty pleased.

Maybe some from the CFL-meet know better how good (or not) they work with IRC equipment.

shockz
31st March 2015, 11:24 AM
is batch 1 sold out now?

fredd32
31st March 2015, 01:01 PM
is batch 1 sold out now?
Looks like it's still available as of 12pm central time.

roostnureye
31st March 2015, 02:22 PM
I just got in on the batch 1 preorder.

Hjerde63
31st March 2015, 05:30 PM
You ppl talk about batch 1? Where am i in this? i ordered from GetFPV 13 mars. Will i get them late april? :-)

Kalle75
31st March 2015, 06:24 PM
perhaps timnilson (http://fpvlab.com/forums/member.php?113-timnilson) could give a short info ?:rolleyes:

chatch
31st March 2015, 07:04 PM
it's going to sell out real fast i think. i was the first pre-order :) :)

cableline01
31st March 2015, 07:29 PM
#0005 here boo ya

timnilson
31st March 2015, 07:52 PM
You ppl talk about batch 1? Where am i in this? i ordered from GetFPV 13 mars. Will i get them late april? :-)

Everyone that placed their order up to this point is in Batch 1. That means the first delivery of goggles will be sent out to the Batch 1 customers in the order that customers bought them, as soon as we get the goggles in. In terms of a date when that may happen -- nothing has changed yet: "As early as April 29th". That likely means it won't be before April 29th, but there is always a possibility that the date slips to after April 29th. Batch 1 goggles are almost sold out. Once Batch 2 starts, the price goes up to the regular price. We don't have dates yet for when Batch 2 goggles may ship out, but we'll try to get a solid date established as soon as possible.

cableline01
31st March 2015, 08:14 PM
How does that work if i preordered on the headplay website. Will GetFPV send them out?

heli_headcase
31st March 2015, 09:06 PM
Hi Timnilson,

I was shocked to hear (read) that there was only an A/V input to the Headplays and no output. I know I can run a parallel 5.8ghz receiver if I want to record the action simultaneously to a DVR but there may be times I want to allow the ground station receiver to be able to receive something completely different at that time.

Is the video signal path internal to the goggles accessable by any means? I must believe there's a baseband or line level vid signal there ripe for the tapping. THX

Aquasean
31st March 2015, 09:47 PM
If you were wondering if the goggles will be compatible with an ImmersionRc transmitter, watch this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JSBqfPEiyw

cableline01
31st March 2015, 09:57 PM
I think I just got a half chubby. I cant wait till i get mine in...

timnilson
31st March 2015, 10:05 PM
How does that work if i preordered on the headplay website. Will GetFPV send them out?

Only orders placed with GetFPV will be shipped by GetFPV.

boopidoo
1st April 2015, 03:56 AM
If you were wondering if the goggles will be compatible with an ImmersionRc transmitter, watch this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JSBqfPEiyw
Good performance considering the RF-intense area and using standard LP omni antennas.

rwijnhov
1st April 2015, 05:32 AM
Do you see the pixels through the fresnell? That is the only thing that is holding me back from ordering.

chatch
1st April 2015, 09:05 AM
No, you don't

fredd32
1st April 2015, 10:59 AM
Just preordered. Got to see how they stack up against my Dominator v2. 72°field of view, Imrc compatibility and vey fair price pushed me over the edge.

psychoL720
1st April 2015, 11:39 AM
I've pre-ordered mine about a week ago, but wanted to ask what kind of setup will most of you guys/girls be running?

Personally, I cant or honeslty dont want to invest in a light-bridge or Inspire. Too much multi-rotor for just hobby flying, although if someone wants to give me one of those, I'm all for it!

Personally I will be running a 600mW Immersion Rc vid Tx with IRC new spironet antennas and then a diversity set of UNO vid Rx's coupled with my eagle eye receiver. Gonna check out that video that was just put up here, but was just curious what most people are gonna use this HMD for? The typical FPV using non-HD downlinks or do alot more people than I think own a inspire or light-bridge! :cool:

I cannot wait for my season to start with these. I live in CT so its still snowing here :(

elitetux
1st April 2015, 11:43 AM
I too will be using the built in analog 5.8ghz. Since this will be going on a blade 200qx..for now I will likely stick with a smaller video tx ~200mW or so. I live in CT as well and can't wait for this to be released now that the snow has been slowly melting and it is slowly getting warmer.

chatch
1st April 2015, 11:52 AM
I've pre-ordered mine about a week ago, but wanted to ask what kind of setup will most of you guys/girls be running?

Personally, I cant or honeslty dont want to invest in a light-bridge or Inspire. Too much multi-rotor for just hobby flying, although if someone wants to give me one of those, I'm all for it!

Personally I will be running a 600mW Immersion Rc vid Tx with IRC new spironet antennas and then a diversity set of UNO vid Rx's coupled with my eagle eye receiver. Gonna check out that video that was just put up here, but was just curious what most people are gonna use this HMD for? The typical FPV using non-HD downlinks or do alot more people than I think own a inspire or light-bridge! :cool:

I cannot wait for my season to start with these. I live in CT so its still snowing here :(

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?38862-New-Zero-Latency-HD-FPV-Downlink-available-at-GetFPV
If you can afford it (start saving up like I am :)) the combination of these goggles with that HD downlink is amazing.

Even with standard 5.8 video the new headplay goggles bring FPV to an entirely new level of immersion. I hope we can get the video we made yesterday posted so you all can see a first hand experience with HD FPV. I might work for GetFPV and although I wouldn't be able to say anything particularly bad about either of these items, I certainly wouldn't be saying anything at all here on the forums if I didn't think they were amazing.

The FatShark goggles do the job of providing a compact goggle set. The experience is quite different when you relieve the restriction of having pocket-sized goggles. You really can't compare the two. Additionally the optics of the headplay goggles seem to be designed very well. I can read the OSD in all corners, although I might have to move my eyes a bit because the FOV is so large. With these goggles I'd suggest configuring your OSD to display around the middle 70% of the screen, rather than 100%(edge of picture).

It can be a bit frustrating conveying user experience with something involving so much physical interaction. It's not as easy as hitting "record" on a gopro and posting the footage.

psychoL720
1st April 2015, 11:53 AM
Where do you live in CT elitetux? I'm in Bristol. If your anywhere in the area we should hook up and go flying. I have a slew of multi-rotors and also planes

I'm hoping the screen res for non-HD is all that its hyped to be. I completely get its native of HD 720p, and it has a upscaling factor for non-HD, but some upscalers I use in some of my home theater setups in the past did less than a stellar job. Hoping this one does the trick.

Keep in mind i'm coming from some predator v2 fatties which only had a 25degree FOV, so these things will be glorious to me. I'm thinking I will be in love at first sight.

chatch
1st April 2015, 11:56 AM
To me, predator V2 gives the experience of sitting in a movie theater at one of the seats in the back of the theater. When you put on the HPHD goggles it's much more of a virtual reality experience.

psychoL720
1st April 2015, 12:00 PM
Thanks chatch! Also I like to keep a spare HMD battery on hand for those long days of flying, but I cant seem to find what type of battery connector comes with the stock battery? I realize its the special latch connector which integrates video, battery and all that jazz, but if I was to want to purchase a spare battery, what kind of connector am I looking at? I'm totally fine with cutting and soldering on my own connector, but need to know what that looks like.

Also I would love to save for a HD downlink, but I'd personally rather buy more multi-rotors or planes. maybe next year though

fredd32
1st April 2015, 12:11 PM
I believe on the back it is a jst connector. And then it loops over the head to that special barrel style connector. I will be using mine with a Imrc 600 tx, fatshark 700tvl on both my 350 qx and my fpv modded supercub.

elitetux
1st April 2015, 12:37 PM
PsychoL720 I live in middletown..near the Cromwell/Middletown line. I'm down for a flying buddy lol I mostly just have umx stuff as I am transitioning from ground RC to air stuff.

This will be my first fpv setup so I'm willing to bet not having any goggle expierience I will be more than blown away even at the SD resolution levels.

psychoL720
1st April 2015, 01:59 PM
Hey elitetux, that isnt too far. I sent you a private message with my email, shoot me a line when you want to go fly. Typically I got Sunday evenings, but can make do maybe some Saturday or so. I also have a ton of UMX planes, but also a couple bigger guys. My favorite is my scale P51, its a beast :) Also have a TBS disco as my long range flyer, a 250 sport FPV quad I built myself, and then a nano FPV quad I also built. In the process of building another 450 for just sport flying and crashing :)

And thanks fredd32 for the info. JST is nice and easy. Guess I'll just pick up some additional batteries around the 1000mAh range with JST's for now. Cant wait for these things to come out!

fredd32
1st April 2015, 06:01 PM
Hey elitetux, that isnt too far. I sent you a private message with my email, shoot me a line when you want to go fly. Typically I got Sunday evenings, but can make do maybe some Saturday or so. I also have a ton of UMX planes, but also a couple bigger guys. My favorite is my scale P51, its a beast :) Also have a TBS disco as my long range flyer, a 250 sport FPV quad I built myself, and then a nano FPV quad I also built. In the process of building another 450 for just sport flying and crashing :)

And thanks fredd32 for the info. JST is nice and easy. Guess I'll just pick up some additional batteries around the 1000mAh range with JST's for now. Cant wait for these things to come out!
I just noticed that in the video of the demo in Florida it looked like jst connectors but in the latest range test video I'm pretty sure I saw an xt60 in there. Maybe one of you dudes at range video can tell us which connector made the final production unit. Thanks

timnilson
1st April 2015, 06:18 PM
We released a new no latency HD Downlink yesterday at GetFPV -- Connex (http://www.getfpv.com/connex-hd-video-downlink.html). The Headplay HD make for a great display unit for the Connex given that you have an HDMI input, large FOV, and crisp HD image. We made a video that shows the Headplay HD receiving real-time HD footage at 60FPS. The Headplay HD display 1280x800 (so not full 1080), but the image is absolutely stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiRFUgYshAM

fredd32
1st April 2015, 09:07 PM
One of the guys from range video has said in the rc groups forum that the battery has the same connector as the fatshark battery (2.1mm barrel plug ).

reznikvova
2nd April 2015, 01:17 AM
Correct- the battery plug will be 2.1mm barrel plug. Battery charger included in the kit.

heli_headcase
2nd April 2015, 01:57 AM
I was shocked to hear (read) that there was only an A/V input to the Headplays and no output. I know I can run a parallel 5.8ghz receiver if I want to record the action simultaneously to a DVR but there may be times I want to allow the ground station receiver to be able to receive something completely different at that time.

Is the video signal path internal to the goggles accessable by any means? I must believe there's a baseband or line level vid signal there ripe for the tapping. THX

landguy
2nd April 2015, 02:36 AM
Anyone know what is the size of the screen in there?
7 inch?

BobaGabe
2nd April 2015, 02:55 AM
Yes, I believe that it is 7 inches.

I just ordered mine. The receipt says that I purchased a "batch #1" model. I think I just got in under the wire.

I think...

shockz
2nd April 2015, 09:55 AM

I just ordered mine. The receipt says that I purchased a "batch #1" model. I think I just got in under the wire.

I think...

looks like price is $249 now. i'm guessing i'm a day late to get in on batch #1. guess that means i'm waiting for reviews before i order now

swperic
2nd April 2015, 10:36 AM
Does any one have any out of the box dimensions? I am trying to pick a pelican case size to have ready to foam out when they arrive.

psychoL720
2nd April 2015, 11:09 AM
Crap, I shouldnt of sold off my fatshark batteries with my Predators then :( oh well, it is what it is, now gotta scout out some 2.1 barrel plugs and some 1000mAh batteries. Assume it would be cheaper to make my own, rather than pay the Fat shark OEM price

That Connex is awesome, but man, you gotta really be into FPV to drop that kind of dough on just a video downlink, eithe that or be making money with your setup. Cant bring myself to spend over a grand on just a video Tx. Of course I say this without having tried one on, and I'm sure if I did, I'd be chomping at raising a grand to purchase, but thats alot of mula!!!

cableline01
2nd April 2015, 11:11 AM
I'm going to cut off the stupid barrel plug and put a XT 60 this way I can use any battery in my box. And also I don't have to keep track of a stupid charging adapter.

psychoL720
2nd April 2015, 11:17 AM
Hey Shockz, did you try to purchase a Black one? Looks like when you try to choose black, it says back ordered, but the red and white ones still say expected on 4/29. Although as someone stated, the price is now in general 249.99 which the site said that when you see that, that means Batch one is over. Kinda confusing website owners :( PLUS, in the description it still says Batch1 pre-order.

Curious how many people went for the all black one, cuz lates face it, this thing is gonna be a little big on your face. I have a oculus DK1 and DK2, and the DK1 isnt very small, but I believe its smaller than this thing, and that DK1 was still quite large. Personally I went with the red one, might as well get something cool looking. If your gonna look like a tool flying with this on, might as well own the part right. Plus my radio is Red as well as some of my base station. Guess coordination matters

Mulligan
2nd April 2015, 12:12 PM

I think...

Did you order from GetFPV? Where on your receipt does it say batch 1?

Whitewolf8181
2nd April 2015, 12:41 PM

I think...

SO, it was YOU who stole my spot. I was in the middle of checking out when on the last page, I notice "batch #2" so I stopped and canceled my order because I am not waiting until the flying season is over to buy these

steph_a
2nd April 2015, 01:24 PM
Hey Shockz, did you try to purchase a Black one? Looks like when you try to choose black, it says back ordered, but the red and white ones still say expected on 4/29. Although as someone stated, the price is now in general 249.99 which the site said that when you see that, that means Batch one is over. Kinda confusing website owners :( PLUS, in the description it still says Batch1 pre-order.

Curious how many people went for the all black one, cuz lates face it, this thing is gonna be a little big on your face. I have a oculus DK1 and DK2, and the DK1 isnt very small, but I believe its smaller than this thing, and that DK1 was still quite large. Personally I went with the red one, might as well get something cool looking. If your gonna look like a tool flying with this on, might as well own the part right. Plus my radio is Red as well as some of my base station. Guess coordination matters

I went the other direction choosing black aiming for a more "stealthy" look if remotely possible with these on :D

lvzx14
2nd April 2015, 01:52 PM

You can do away with the diversity unless you already have it and use a pepperbox if you want a directional antenna, if it's mini quad racing that or a blue beam/spiro would be fine.

timnilson
2nd April 2015, 02:21 PM
BATCH 1 is now sold out. We are taking pre-orders for BATCH 2 now. We don't have a date yet on when BATCH 2 might start to ship out (but it will be after all BATCH 1 orders have been fulfilled).

Whitewolf8181
2nd April 2015, 02:27 PM
BATCH 1 is now sold out. We are taking pre-orders for BATCH 2 now. We don't have a date yet on when BATCH 2 might start to ship out (but it will be after all BATCH 1 orders have been fulfilled).
Can you give us at least a guess? 1 week, 1 month, 3 months? Anything?

psychoL720
2nd April 2015, 03:41 PM
I already have the diversity, and while the pepperbox is great as you said for directional broadcasting, what it doesnt do well is flying behind it. I mean you can still do a little behind it, but not as well as a omni. So i run a omni mad mushroom on one UNO and a helical on the other UNO. Then i never care about where I'm flying as I'll always have a solid signal. If I'm doing fast and close flying, I'm gonna go as you said with the blue beam on this heads display and use the built in 5.8 Rx. No need for the whole base station at that point

timnilson
2nd April 2015, 04:47 PM
Can you give us at least a guess? 1 week, 1 month, 3 months? Anything?

The manufacturer told me today that we'll receive BATCH 2 units in the 2nd week of May or thereabouts.

MichaelFR85
2nd April 2015, 06:33 PM
The manufacturer told me today that we'll receive BATCH 2 units in the 2nd week of May or thereabouts.

Since you're aware of the "BATCH 2" delivery date when or whereabouts is "BATCH 1" going to be received?

fredd32
2nd April 2015, 06:40 PM
Since you're aware of the "BATCH 2" delivery date when or whereabouts is "BATCH 1" going to be received?
They said it should be around April 29th.

heli_headcase
2nd April 2015, 06:57 PM
No, it's said to be "not before April 29th"...

fredd32
2nd April 2015, 07:53 PM
No, it's said to be "not before April 29th"...
Or "as early as April 29th".

MichaelFR85
2nd April 2015, 08:34 PM
Or "as early as April 29th".

Hopefully they get it sooner!

Vanden
2nd April 2015, 09:50 PM
I jumped on board yesterday, not sure if I got in on the first batch or not! Leaving the country on May 4th......hopefully I will have them to take with me!

psychoL720
3rd April 2015, 09:06 AM
I jumped on board yesterday, not sure if I got in on the first batch or not! Leaving the country on May 4th......hopefully I will have them to take with me!

Sorry Vanden, your definately in Batch2 since Batch1 was sold out about 2 days ago. Based on the admins posts, looks like your targetting at earliest 2nd week of May for start of delivery perhaps. I feel your pain and I'm in Batch1! :) But hey, on a positive note, when you get back, you'll have a sweet new toy

Vanden
3rd April 2015, 09:24 AM
I went and checked and I must have been the last or close to it for batch one, it says batch one right on my order form, so gonna keep my fingers crossed!!

Whitewolf8181
3rd April 2015, 02:34 PM
I'm not trying to steer any business away from getfpv.com in any way or anything but, headplay.com also has a pre-order:

http://www.headplay.com/shop/headplay-hd-with-58ghz-rx

There is no ETA date as far as I can see but, might get lucky and be apart of the batch #1?
There is also a picture of the "box they come in"? and shows a view of them I have never seen before, they look a lot slimmer and hopefully this is what the production units will look like? Fingers crossed.

psychoL720
3rd April 2015, 03:36 PM
I'm not trying to steer any business away from getfpv.com in any way or anything but, headplay.com also has a pre-order:

There is no ETA date as far as I can see but, might get lucky and be apart of the batch #1?
There is also a picture of the "box they come in"? and shows a view of them I have never seen before, they look a lot slimmer and hopefully this is what the production units will look like? Fingers crossed.

WO, sweet find Whitewolf, cool to see the potential box, and they do look slimmer, interesting? Probably just a illusion with the box, as all the video's they've shown look different, plus that picture on the side of the box looks similar to the one they've shown where its a little longer. So are these things shipping out "potentially" on the 29th, or am I supposed to be psyched to see it on my doorstep "potentially" on the 29th. I'm pretty sure its the first, but why not ask.

MichaelFR85
3rd April 2015, 08:54 PM
If you ordered your goggles before Wednesday, April 1st, they will ship as early as late April or in the first 2 weeks of May. Orders placed after April 1st are estimate to start shipping around the middle of May.

Is there a BATCH #1.5?

mnementh
3rd April 2015, 09:16 PM
What type is the LCD? TN, IPS? what is the total inputlag of the LCD?

I ordered mine on the first day; got the eMail and jumped on them without hesitation after spending close to $200 building several sets of my own that still didn't solve all the problems this unit does.

That said... this question was asked a month ago, and I don't think that it's unreasonable to expect you to give those of us who've already paid some actual technical specs on the LCD. Or even a MFR & Part #, so the geekoids in the audience can look it up ourselves.

I want to know how many bits the color depth is, what the pixel pitch is, and especially what the refresh rate on the LCD is. Plus, you know, what the latency of the video controller is, like this guy asked. I bought into the Rift DK2 because of the awesome specs of the OLED display re: refresh/latency. I know that NO LCD is gonna be THAT good; but I'd like to know how close we're getting with this, and what the actual color reproduction is gonna be like. A snapshot on the website doesn't do a lot except raise hopes and a lot of questions.

After fighting with an Oculus Rift setup that never came to be, I'm happy to see GetFPV getting us down the right path!

Yeah; I too know the pain of the Rift and FPV. It's like they were designed to thwart use in this application. :p That said; I'm in awe of the technology when I use it for its intended purpose. :D

Looking forward to trying them on. Maybe there's enough room on the roof of these to mount a solar powered exhaust fan to keep you face cool. Lol.Well definitely but why add weight and complexity with the solar panels? Why not just add a very small fan that taps power off the goggle power system?

Well, DUHH! Cuz Solar panels look KEWL!!! ;)

AreWeThereYet?AreWeThereYet?AreWeThereYet?AreWeThe reYet?AreWeThereYet?AreWeThereYet?AreWeThereYet?Ar eWeThereYet?AreWeThereYet?AreWeThereYet?AreWeThere Yet?AreWeThereYet? :p

looks like a 5 pin XS9JK connector from the youtube video Uggh. Not gonna get that at my local Radio Shack. Thank Ifni DigiKey has come to their senses regarding small quantity orders.

Correct- the battery plug will be 2.1mm barrel plug. Battery charger included in the kit.

Meh. I'm with Jeremy - Gonna cut off/make an adapter for XT-60. :D

Okay... now that I'm invested in this new ecosystem, really there's no way in 'ell I'm spending thousands on the HD video links. Absurd for hobbyist use.

That said... who knows of any analog cameras that support widescreen? The NTSC specification supports as much as 750 lines in WideScreen mode (720 lines NTSC standard plus 15 lines top/bottom overscan); this would look AWESOME on these goggles if we could just get the damned camera to plug into it! You know, without spending thousands ordering them direct from Sony! :rolleyes:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54dd8a95e4b03fb98aad7345/54dd92ade4b0f89c461be11d/5514e0ebe4b0d9aaa8ba3ea8/1427887649323/Screen+Shot+2015-03-16+at+6.00.26+PM.png?format=500w

Ummm... naah. It's an optical delusion because they used a 3D model screenshot on the box. If you look at the line drawing on the other panel of the same box, it shows the correct proportions as we expect, and so do the photos on the bottom of the page.

Why are you HOPING for the bleeping thing to be short? all that means is that you're going to be fighting terrible optical distortion; you KNOW that for this price they are NOT going to include Zeiss-quality lenses.

We knew we were getting a facebox when we clicked the "BUY" button. I think I'm gonna airbrush mine to look like the embryo-hand-face-monster thing from Alien. :p

mnem
I know nothing. It's cheaper that way.

MEGAjig
5th April 2015, 10:14 AM
mnem you're not far off :P

A facehugger airbrush would be awesome. Headplay should make skins for these things. A Bane mask would be great too.

backyard
5th April 2015, 10:20 AM
Poorly done but you get the idea.

Kalle75
5th April 2015, 12:05 PM
Or take these ones :

roostnureye
5th April 2015, 12:23 PM
has anyone heard back about the video out/hdr connection possibilities?
I know they don't have an av out. Just wondering if anyone has heard back about a go around?

boopidoo
5th April 2015, 12:26 PM
It should be possible but I don't know the details. Hopefully I'll get my sample within a few weeks and then I'll check.

Metalbender
6th April 2015, 07:13 AM
I just blew through and read as much as I could absorb but do not recall seeing the dimensions. I just pre-ordered and would like to know the approximate size. Has it been posted and I missed it? I'll search a little more.

psychoL720
6th April 2015, 10:52 AM
has anyone heard back about the video out/hdr connection possibilities?
I know they don't have an av out. Just wondering if anyone has heard back about a go around?

Curious about the people requesting a video out function. What would you connect the video out on the HMD to? Or am I to assume your are going to use the built in 5.8 Rx and then you want to have some type of vid out to a DVR or something? Naturally there are 100 ways or more to solution, from buying a isolated video Rx and having vid out go to the HMD and then another vid out going to DVR, using a diversity, etc... Then theres the more brute force attack which is open up the unit, identify the signal line going to the screen, and somehow splice into that to a output signal. This was actually the same problem I had with converting a Oculus into a head unit for FPV. Tapping into the signal is certainly not easy. It would be awesome if you open it up and see a red wire, black wire and yellow wire going to the screen :) But of course such is not the case. At least it wasnt with the oculus. It was a rather large ribbon cable since the signal is coming out of a video processor. Sounds like a cool project though, good luck to anyone brave enough to rip open their new head unit and start splicing wires :)

steph_a
6th April 2015, 11:18 AM
Video out for me was for my external DVR. I will need to purchase a additional 5.8 receiver in this case or switch my 250 quad from 5.8 to 1.3 video as it is the only thing I currently fly on 5.8 and I can then always use my base station DVR.

boopidoo
6th April 2015, 12:11 PM
Well I will most probably mod my sample for AV OUT and will report the progress. But it might take awhile, I have some other projects to finish first.

Stringer
6th April 2015, 12:20 PM
Although I've pre-ordered one, I just feel disappointed that the designer did not consider an AV out for the DVR. I don't mind the absence of a built-in DVR as I don't like all-in-ones in this hobby. However, an output for an external DVR is practically a must for flying planes. Having the DVR recording has helped us several times now in quickly finding a downed multi/plane.

imagebuff
6th April 2015, 12:30 PM
Well I will most probably mod my sample for AV OUT and will report the progress. But it might take awhile, I have some other projects to finish first.

Great! Please report back. We definitely need an integrated DVR. Really don't want to mess with a completely independent DVR w/ receiver, etc..

boopidoo
6th April 2015, 12:57 PM
Clarification, I will not try to integrate some kind of DVR in them. I will use my trusty Lawmate PV-500 to record. IMO most other DVRs (especially the integrated ones) kind of suck. :)

chatch
6th April 2015, 01:08 PM
The "DVR" in my Predator V2 act more like a portable SD card eraser than a DVR

imagebuff
6th April 2015, 02:16 PM
DomHD integrated DVR works great so far.

faber
6th April 2015, 09:33 PM
I like the new dom integrated dvr but it hoses my video about 1/2 the time. I flashed it with the proper firmware for my cams but still get mixed results. Can't wait to try this new headset!

cableline01
6th April 2015, 11:11 PM
Here are some videos they just posted on Facebook. Very good look at them.
https://www.facebook.com/headplayHD?fref=ts

Andy_GetFPV
7th April 2015, 01:33 AM
New picture of the white version too!

reznikvova
7th April 2015, 09:07 AM
In the final version the small buttons will be black. Nice edit. :)

backyard
7th April 2015, 11:46 AM
Is there any reason not to paint the foam white or silver if heating becomes a problem? With appropriate pre-treatment and foam safe paint of course.

chatch
7th April 2015, 11:58 AM
I got the white one so I can paint it pink myself.

eatkabab
7th April 2015, 02:23 PM
Is there any reason not to paint the foam white or silver if heating becomes a problem? With appropriate pre-treatment and foam safe paint of course.

Yes I agree with this. Some white covering for the foam would be a veeeeerrrryyyy welcome change.

Maybe include a little cooling fan too :-)

eatkabab
7th April 2015, 02:25 PM
What kinda optics are used in this? Will it just feel like looking at my phone from 6" away? Not SK great for the eyes....

fredd32
7th April 2015, 06:01 PM
What kinda optics are used in this? Will it just feel like looking at my phone from 6" away? Not SK great for the eyes....

They have a fresnel lens between your eyes and the screen that let's your eyes relax and still focus on the screen even though it's really close.

eatkabab
7th April 2015, 06:18 PM
They have a fresnel lens between your eyes and the screen that let's your eyes relax and still focus on the screen even though it's really close.

I was afraid of that. Fresnel's are kinda really crappy. I'm assuming its a really rreeeeeaaaally fine pitch Fresnel in attempt to get a higher quality picture.

fredd32
7th April 2015, 06:45 PM
I was afraid of that. Fresnel's are kinda really crappy. I'm assuming its a really rreeeeeaaaally fine pitch Fresnel in attempt to get a higher quality picture.

Hopefully. All initial impressions so far seem very positive. But you never know until us regular guys start getting them in our hands.

mnementh
7th April 2015, 08:53 PM
mnem you're not far off :P

A facehugger airbrush would be awesome. Headplay should make skins for these things. A Bane mask would be great too.

Oooohhh! Nice line drawing! *Snurches shamelessly for later*

The "DVR" in my Predator V2 act more like a portable SD card eraser than a DVR

That, sir, is an undisclosed feature! It's there to prevent you from bringing the incriminating evidence home to your family! :p

Here are some videos they just posted on Facebook. Very good look at them.
https://www.facebook.com/headplayHD?fref=ts

MMMhmmm... I like that they screw together; I was originally afraid they'd be glued/anti-hackery/anti-serviceable.

I got the white one so I can paint it pink myself.

I got the white one to match my phone. Pink would look good on you though. ;)

mnem
As long as it's anybody but ME. :D

psychoL720
7th April 2015, 09:21 PM

Personally I think I'm gonna go with vinyl tape over the black parts. This way I can change it multiple times without having to do the whole painting prep thing. Never know each season what your mood will be. The vinyl will stick nicely to the foam, but still peel off easily. Same application as auto's. Even contact paper would work nicely, not too sticky, but just enough to stay in place. Not sure I will leave it black for the reason people have said here, which is heat during hot days. That was surely a design miss, as black and sun do not mix

backyard
8th April 2015, 12:23 PM
On a production basis white foam that matches the spec. of the black may be more costly or even unavailable. 99% of my flights will be only 15-20 minutes max. and I can take that even if they are hot but I'm still probably going to paint mine white. Remember, the foam is a great insulator. The surface may get hot but inside? I assume you want the inside to be flat black anyhow.

chatch
8th April 2015, 12:36 PM
maybe i can crack an egg and make an omelet while i fly :) :)

Glennn
8th April 2015, 04:47 PM
I read there's a 1100mA 2S hard case battery included.
Can someone tell me what connector I need to buy in order to charge this battery? Or does a charger come with it as well?

fredd32
8th April 2015, 06:39 PM
I read there's a 1100mA 2S hard case battery included.
Can someone tell me what connector I need to buy in order to charge this battery? Or does a charger come with it as well?

2.1mm barrel cconnector. same connector that is on the fatshark battery. Get fpv sells the charge adapter pre made or if you have a charger that can charge through the balance lead that will work as well. Edit: I just rechecked the thread and one of the range video guys posted here that a battery charger is included in the kit.

reznikvova
8th April 2015, 07:36 PM
A battery charger is included.

Glennn
9th April 2015, 05:14 AM
Great! Can't wait to start playing with it!

chatch
9th April 2015, 10:37 AM
that's what she said

vodka
9th April 2015, 11:20 AM
@Vova
I have not seen a single Fresnel lens (e.g. straight from the factory) without scratches, even if they a brand new. How you avoid this issue? Are scratches on the lens in the HP visible? Is the fresnel lens exchangeable?

chatch
9th April 2015, 11:45 AM
there aren't any scratches on the headplay lens. this isn't a trash hobbyking product

thunderweasel
10th April 2015, 07:09 PM
Saw them at the Toledo model show. The output from the laptop looked great. So we know it is capable of good video. I didn't look through the other which was being transmitted from a model since they had it on a foam head. The lens on the displays were fine, no obvious scratches, didn't really notice any odd visual patterns from the lens either. It is lighter than I would have thought. Over all I would rank these as much better than the other goggle options I have looked through, especially since I wear glasses. And yes, it fit over my glasses. A bit of trimming could help, the corners were felt (felt like?) and foam, so trimming is possible if needed. Other than the quick look didn't really analyze it or mess with buttons. Looks like it was a good purchase, now I have to wait for it to actually arrive. There were others that sounded impressed by it, maybe others will post their impressions.

Cornelis
10th April 2015, 07:19 PM
Is the fresnel lens easy and safe to clean or is it delicate and to be treated with much care?

RCWASP
10th April 2015, 07:29 PM
I just put my pre-order in. Can't wait for these! :D

fredd32
10th April 2015, 09:03 PM
@Vova
I have not seen a single Fresnel lens (e.g. straight from the factory) without scratches, even if they a brand new. How you avoid this issue? Are scratches on the lens in the HP visible? Is the fresnel lens exchangeable?
They are removable via 4 screws. The kit comes with two different fresnel magnifications (I would like to know what the difference is between the two). Weather or not they will sell them seperately remains to be seen.

WilberMaker
12th April 2015, 07:45 AM
What type of camera is used to get HD to the googles?

chatch
12th April 2015, 09:00 AM
Any camera at 600TVL or above will give the best picture. For true HD you need the Connex HD downlink and a HD camera with HDMI out.

BVincent
12th April 2015, 10:20 AM
What transmitters will work with these? What is recommended?

Kalle75
12th April 2015, 01:29 PM
Itīs a 32 channel reciever. Most common transmitter should work fine. Iīm using immersionRC 5.8...works rocksolid.

Best regards
Kalle

BVincent
12th April 2015, 02:45 PM
So the Boscam 32 ch 5.8 600mw will be good?

Kalle75
12th April 2015, 03:43 PM
Yes. Should work fine.

BVincent
12th April 2015, 04:13 PM
Awesome Thanks for the replies and help! :)

Defier3D
13th April 2015, 10:07 AM
I got in on Batch #1 and I am excited to get this and play with it! This will be my first serious goggle, cheaper than Fatshark and better from everything I have read... We will see.

What would be a good camera to use with this. In particular one that is the right aspect ratio. the goggle is a 1280 x 800 which comes out to 8:5 ratio... Not common?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

psychoL720
13th April 2015, 12:18 PM
I got in on Batch #1 and I am excited to get this and play with it! This will be my first serious goggle, cheaper than Fatshark and better from everything I have read... We will see.

What would be a good camera to use with this. In particular one that is the right aspect ratio. the goggle is a 1280 x 800 which comes out to 8:5 ratio... Not common?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would recommend heading on over to security cameras 2000 dot com. Website is geared towards security micro cameras, but us FPV'ers know they sell amazing cameras and have been using them on our rigs for years. Your gonna be hard pressed I would think at finding a camera that will output exactly 1280 x 800 since its a odd camera resolution. Tyipcally I think resolutions depicted in TVL that equate to normal PC resolutions is what you would find IMO. But as a previous poster said, anything at or above 600TVL should look really good. Naturally not HD, but your saving a grand on the whole HD setup.

Defier3D
13th April 2015, 01:11 PM
Thanks psychoL. I understand about getting a camera in the 600 to 700TVL range for the best quality. Also, that our analog Vtx really can't transmit more quality than that anyway.

I guess what I am asking, is there a camera that is already in the aspect ratio of 8:5 so that when the headplay is set to max resolution you don't get distortion of the image.

Maybe use a gopro? Some of the Hero 4 resolutions are close to 8:5.

I will check out that website... Thanks

psychoL720
13th April 2015, 02:41 PM
Thanks psychoL. I understand about getting a camera in the 600 to 700TVL range for the best quality. Also, that our analog Vtx really can't transmit more quality than that anyway.

I guess what I am asking, is there a camera that is already in the aspect ratio of 8:5 so that when the headplay is set to max resolution you don't get distortion of the image.

Maybe use a gopro? Some of the Hero 4 resolutions are close to 8:5.

I will check out that website... Thanks

Gotcha. Yea as you said the current non-HD vid Tx wont go much beyond the 700TVL. I suppose you could give the GoPro a shot, I've read a bunch of material on latency though, not sure how much of that is user error versus setup error versus true. Personally I like the two camera approach better, one for videoing and one for FPV. As i said, I cant say from experience there is latency, but have read people have noticed some very very minor latency using a GoPro setup as their camera. I'd be interested if you or someone here has pioneered that and reported. If you do, please let us know exactly what vid Tx and Rx's you are using.

Knowing the Headplay up-converts the input res to its native resolution, obviously as close to native as you can get is your best bet since your not leaving the video processing up to whatever components are inside the headset. Something I'm working on (and this is just for fun, not a real world application) is to output my Sony hi-res CCD FPV camera through my setup, which is a Immersion RC 600mW 5.8Ghz vid Tx with spironet antenna to my diversity Immersion RC UNO dual receivers via my eagle eyes diversity controller and then put that signal through a upscaler I have on my home theater system. its a focus enhancements up-scaler and was quite expensive. Gonna upscale it to 1080p or I might make a custom resolution since you can do that with this unit and then output the FPV video to my new Headplays and compare resolution. It will show if the upscaler in the headset is better, worse or equal to that of a company who solely does video processing for expensive theater setups. Of course I'm not gonna be carrying my upscaler to the field, unless it does some amazing stuff :) THEN............ park car on field and plug into cigarette lighter LOL

macfly1202
13th April 2015, 04:29 PM
Despite current Vtx wont go much beyond 700 TVL : for how many month ? 3 - 6 month ?
With this great New idea, we could start trying new stuff. Dvb-T, (3G-)4G, 3G-SDI, ubiqity and low latency.
In this case, we need new flexible google.

For me Zeiss is too expensive (but quality is probably there :800 € !)
My attitude Fatshark SD (rev C) are so bad : polycarbonate optics quality, without AR coating despite very convex optics ... Vector color OSD making rainbow and fireworks !!!

just look this crap to unsderstand why there is so many reflexion and OSD difficult to read in border with my attitude SD ! Hey guy, thinned lenses exist !!!

So because I was optician in the past, and because I know what I'm speaking about and what Fatshark seems to ??? (sadly), I've choose to keep my eyes and little money and Ordered these (big) Headplay a few minutes ago !

@GetFpv: Is SKU number (2687) in my order is the queue number ?

Thanks people who worked on this project for trying to offer us alternative choice.