PDA

View Full Version : help with ground fpv electronics

neo_hito
30th December 2014, 09:28 PM
Hello, newb here.

So... bought a 5.8Ghz 600mw tx & rx from madetofly.com.au (zerogravity fpv) along with its CP antennas.
Its mounted on a traxxas e-revo shell, I thought surely it'll be more than enough to cover running around my neighbourhood, but in reality it wouldn't even go past 100-150m, that's with line of sight.

Is there any way to range test it on the ground as I no longer have a quadcopter?
Would a 1.3ghz fare better?

Also, I think when I received the package at work, some asshat decided to play with it and connected a battery while it didn't have the antenna on, managed to stop them within 10 seconds but I'm wondering if it had any lasting damage, as afterwards it still turns on and transmit video, though not sure still at full capacity or not.

RonSII
30th December 2014, 09:38 PM
Lower frequencies will generally work better for ground pounders, the lack of antenna can hurt tx's usually if used that way for long periods of time... hadr to say if ten seconds was too long or not... a lot depends on the tx brand.

neo_hito
1st January 2015, 05:44 AM
Alright will scrape up some cash n' find a 1.3ghz vtx locally.
Still jelly of people getting a mile out of their setup

SnarkyMcSnarkson
3rd January 2015, 03:23 PM
Just remember that 1.3 usually swamps the stock 2.4 control on your Traxxas radio. You won't be getting a even a quarter mile with the stock Traxxas radio.

neo_hito
4th January 2015, 06:51 PM
Just remember that 1.3 usually swamps the stock 2.4 control on your Traxxas radio. You won't be getting a even a quarter mile with the stock Traxxas radio.

ahh well that screws up the plan again. Currently the Traxxas stock radio goes the furthest out of the ones I've tested, more range than the 5.8ghz vtx.
don't tell me I have to invest in UHF...

RonSII
4th January 2015, 08:01 PM
ahh well that screws up the plan again. Currently the Traxxas stock radio goes the furthest out of the ones I've tested, more range than the 5.8ghz vtx.
don't tell me I have to invest in UHF...

You can still find old 72/54mhz rigs...

neo_hito
5th January 2015, 07:00 PM

hold on... won't this help filter it out?
http://www.getfpv.com/ibcrazy-1-3-ghz-2-4-ghz-notch-filter.html

not too keen on 72/54mhz rigs as the ones I've seen don't have failsafes :P