PDA

View Full Version : Drak 60" info and possible kick start thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Hoss
1st December 2015, 12:45 PM
I personally haven't / won't / wouldn't put a flight controller anywhere other than directly on the cg. I've seen others do some interesting stuff that has worked (at least appeared to), but the fc is directly affected by and performs against exact location. Every inch off the cg breeds more and more erroneous input and subsequent erroneous output. It thinks it's on the cg, even if you stick it on the wing tip.

I'm with you about being portable. Gps wiring needs to not cross into the wing unless you come up with a coupler to connect or have it wired in such a way that it can be easily disconnected without having to re-embed wiring every time. Although, the frequency at which you'll be building up and tearing down the airframe is probably low enough that it wouldn't be too bad to have to deal with a little pain in the butt.

Btw, Just saw that rustoleum followed suit and came out with "flexi dip", for any that might not be able to get one or the other.

Maj.Duty
1st December 2015, 12:54 PM
Excuse the n00b question I’ve never used plasti-dip before on an airplane (or anything for that matter). Are you using it because it sticks to the EPO and rattle can paint can’t? Or is it for protection?

jdjeff
1st December 2015, 12:54 PM
I would only add to leave the Ruby in the drawer and go with a Vector.

HFMan
1st December 2015, 01:13 PM
I personally haven't / won't / wouldn't put a flight controller anywhere other than directly on the cg.

On my Z3, I have the Vector in one of the side saddles. It performs just as well in that position as a Vector placed on the CG on one of my other wings. I cannot tell the difference.

ritewing
1st December 2015, 01:16 PM
We do many Autopilots, none directly on the CG, they are all fine.

Hoss
1st December 2015, 01:34 PM
For sure - like I said, others have done it and seem perfectly fine, I just can't live with it knowing that the data it's getting could be more accurate. I'm just anal... Just my personal pet peeve and preference. There's certainly no denying that "proper" placement is as close to the cg as possible, unless you also deny that we landed on the moon ;) But stuff like that just eats at me when I know it could be more precise.

ritewing
1st December 2015, 01:42 PM
The pixhawk 3 inches behind the CG.
We were doing auto takeoff and land missions yesterday, it landed 3 times yesterday in the same spot each time.
Its seems pretty dam accurate to me. CG location on the Drak is for the sensors . In FPV config you can mount it directly on CG if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDy0awYHtBI

Maj.Duty
1st December 2015, 01:46 PM
Wait, we landed on the Moon??

Hoss
1st December 2015, 01:58 PM
The pixhawk 3 inches behind the CG.
We were doing auto takeoff and land missions yesterday, it landed 3 times yesterday in the same spot each time.
Its seems pretty dam accurate to me. CG location on the Drak is for the sensors . In FPV config you can mount it directly on CG if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDy0awYHtBI
Pix I think you can actually put anywhere as long as you tell it in mission planner that it's not going in the center, which is cool.

Again, I'm not saying it won't work, - just staying that I'm anal, and that the data that goes to and signal that comes out of the controller will be more accurate the closer to the cg that it is placed. Is it negligible? Possibly. But true nonetheless for controllers that are meant to be placed there.

I'm not saying it won't work.

I'm not saying it won't work.

Don't blame me! Blame physics and all is hokus pokus wizardry!

ritewing
1st December 2015, 02:00 PM
I agree, so if you're flying fpv put it where you need it or where you feel you need it.

Hoss
1st December 2015, 02:05 PM
Word.

Are you running a vector at all or are you all Pix? I've got several vectors at this point and do really like them, but need to purchase another controller regardless. Do you like the pix over it? I'm slightly itching to learn something new. Fiddled with an old apm a while ago but never put one in "production". What's your preference? And why?

ritewing
1st December 2015, 02:14 PM
Vector for fpv, the plane in the vid is a mapping plane, I would never go pix in an fpv plane.
Its not good fro FPV like the vector is. And the vector is not good for mapping

Hoss
1st December 2015, 02:18 PM
Gotcha. I imagine autonomous waypoints and such is big in efficiently mapping. Cool. I'll stick with the V. Surprised we haven't seen more competition since its release. Besides ruby, anybody else using different controllers and liking it?

HFMan
1st December 2015, 02:25 PM
Although I do not on wings, several COFPV members are using Naze32 controllers with airplane configuration & minimOSD with a certain amount of success. Consider it a poor man's Vector. Nowhere near as luxurious as a Vector, but still viable. I'm going Vector on my Drak, have it on two other wings and very comfortable and happy with it.

Hoss
1st December 2015, 03:07 PM
Although I do not on wings, several COFPV members are using Naze32 controllers with airplane configuration & minimOSD with a certain amount of success. Consider it a poor man's Vector. Nowhere near as luxurious as a Vector, but still viable. I'm going Vector on my Drak, have it on two other wings and very comfortable and happy with it.
That's funny - I was just pondering that last night for a specter I just built. I wasn't going to put a controller in it but wanted voltage displayed. I actually found and bought to test 2 different cheesy (but rated well) literally under $15 voltage displays just to try out for bare minimum builds - basically just so I don't have to listen for a buzzer or worry if I want to reach out a bit that I'm going to drop out of the sky. There's also an osd that seems like it was built around the naze called osdoge that I've been eyeing. It stacks on top of the naze and is supposed to interface directly. Anyone given it a run?

oleg_t
1st December 2015, 04:59 PM
Had a very good experience with naze32 on both quad and fixed wing and ordered a couple of more boards already. A tiny, easy to use FC with auto-launch feature for $22(need to have GPS though) - very good alternative to a major FCs if you're on a budget. But if you add that osdoge on top, the price tag approaches or exceeds the half the price of the Vector. In this case I'd probably really consider Vector, just because I see much more value/price ratio in this option. But I think I'll get osdoge at some point anyway, just because I like naze32))

Hmerly
1st December 2015, 07:00 PM
Naze32 with a 12 dollar mini minimosd with MWOsd firmware runs fantastic on my mini talon. It's a dirt cheap option compared to the commercially available osd/ap out there and works comparably as well.

Hoss
1st December 2015, 07:34 PM
I've got a minim laying around (as well as an apm that I may have bricked after a firmware update). For the Drak, because I'm putting a lot into it and it's, in my opinion, a premium fpv rig, gps (which I know you can attach to naze) with rth (not sure if you can accomplish this with naze) is a must. Long range, in the keep flying for miles and miles sense, is over for me at this point. But I do need to know I've got a fighting chance if I were to lose contact a couple miles out. I'm really surprised there hasn't been any real, hard core competition to the vector. I guess it's really not a project you just pick up (they've got some time and skin in the game), nor is that an inexpensive endeavour - trying to develop something that performs at least AS well as the competition. I'm thinking another vector it is. It really does do what it does well...

Read up some more on that osdoge as well - it's pretty snazzy the way it integrates. It runs minim firmware / uses mavlink protocol and is capable of a fair amount of stuff. It is pricey relative to full functioning controllers, as Oleg pointed out above, but cool nonetheless.

Hmerly
1st December 2015, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't put a naze in a Drak. Just saying it does work and work well in combination with a minimosd. However, I'd feel much better using a Vector or RVosd in this wing as they are more mature products with a lot of design on the part of the manufacturer as well as use by us hobbyist.

Håvard Støre
1st December 2015, 08:31 PM
With my Z3 I once lost all video 5k offshore (forgot to charge ground station battery). RTL on Vector saved me from a total loss. In my opinion a reliable RTL system is a must on this kind of plane. I assume most of us don't buy a plane like the Drak to just fly between trees in the local park or field. Even though the Vector is costly it is probably less than 1/6 of the Draks total cost.

Because of the high risk environments I fly in I will probably loose a plane into the sea at some point in the future, but it won't be just because of video loss.

BTW: Now I have low battery warning on my ground station.

Tomstoy
1st December 2015, 09:39 PM
I use a simple rmrc buzzer in my gs. Works well.
Thinking seriously about installing a back up battery just in case.
I've lost video out several miles in my Penguin using just ezuhf and osd with a Guardian. Freaked me out for a bit until I realized I could just fly back home using osd info.
After that, I don't sweat video loss so much.

However, I am a huge believer in rth and Vector. When throwing money in the air I really want to pad my ability to recover an acft as much as possible.
This is due mostly to my inability to walk more than a 1/4 mile. If I had knees I would be happy to just use a Guardian.

I have a Ruby in my Ranger and really love it, however, if you use both a Vector and a Ruby I've learned to review the flight controller checklist I made to refresh my memory as a Ruby flys different than a Vector. Got me in serious trouble once. Ranger out a couple miles, going lower and lower on the far side of a river. 15 feet off the ground the Ruby said enough of this shit and kicked in rth. Saved my ass big time.

After that, I made sure to test rth out on the Vector, which worked a charm, too. Don't know if the Vector would automatically kick in by itself like the Ruby did if too low.

Problem with the Ruby is having to spend time, serious time getting it dialed in. A Vector, I just take the Surface Pro 3 with me and dial it in in an afternoon. Done. Simple.
Another problem with Ruby is I have ended up corrupting the mini SD card having to pull it out and mess with sending Jim files and such. Cost me flying a couple times as I didn't check first. Since, I've replacement the cheap mini SD card the Ruby comes with with a mach 9 card instead.

Vector going in mine, as I have one just sitting around.

Hoss
1st December 2015, 11:02 PM
There's one thing aside from rth that has been indispensable and that I personally will no longer fly out of vlos without, and that's a gps tracker. On more than one occasion it's saved me from a complete loss. The first time I was a couple miles out and thousand feet up and bam - snow. It was my error in that I was pushing the current power plant I had in it beyond it's limits on a (2nd) climb to the clouds. Melted the motors leads together which fried the esc, which fried the Vector's current sensor and effectively shut down everything after it. I dialed the gps, got a reply and found it about 2 miles out in a field. The video was interesting to watch. I can't say it wasn't my last move to bank slightly, but I don't think I did... It seemed as if the vector went into a controlled descent. It basically banked to one side and lightly circled it's way all the way to the ground. Had it not hit a pine tree about a foot off the ground, it would have greased the landing. I'll see if I can find the video and post it up... it was interesting and I'm curious to know if the vector played a part. Another time, back when I was obsessed with long range, I was about 9 miles out and my video quality started to rapidly decline into nothing but fuzz. I clicked rth and I just sat there, and sat there, sweating, calling the gps and checking in with the video signal over and over. After enough time that it should have been back, I began to pack up and contemplate. I suddenly got about 10 text messages in a row, all with links to google maps and all with the same coordinates. It's got a feature where you text it a code and it calls you back and plays the background audio (guess it makes a great spy device too). It called and I could hear the buzz of digital servos and a motor that was trying to do something. Definitely not flying, that was for sure. I found it deep in a massive patch of forest. It was an oversight by me - I hadn't planned a long range mission but rather decided at the field that I had what I needed to pull it off. I had flown over a mountain to get where I was and hadn't taken the altitude change into consideration in the vector's rth settings. I lost video, clicked it into rth, it turned around and began to descend - right into some trees about a mile into it's return trip. Both times I would have been a total loss. The first had a chance of someone finding it eventually, but the second would still be sitting there making a nice, expensive home for some lucky creature. IMO, RTH is a must on a rig that you care about that you either fly far away or fly over areas where going in hard could cause someone or something some damage - but if one other component goes haywire out of the many that it takes to properly run the rig, it's going down no matter how good of a controller you have on board. I use a tk102b gps tracker. There's lots of flavors if you look it up. They're cheap - less than 1/50 the cost of a new, fully stacked aircraft. You can find them anywhere from ~ $20 to $50 depending on where you get it. I got it, went into AT&T (I don't think verizon offers the type of service required to run it from what I remember), showed them the size sim I needed and told them I needed text and voice. Both times that I have needed it, the plane was within 3 feet of the coordinates that I got. There's lot's of other stuff you can do with it if anyone is in need of one and cares to look at the functionality. I'll post a link to the manual and device at the end of this very long, drawn out post. For a few bucks I gained the biggest piece of mind I could get beyond triple checking my gear and planning flights properly. Live and learn - and I have. For me this is a must.

Re: the ground station - I'm going to throw a buzzer on as well. Smart idea. What I did was make a simple Y harness and plugged my battery in to that. That way, if it were to get low or something crazy or unexpected were to happen to it, I could plug another in without having to lose power. For the buzzer you just need to make sure that you can set a higher minimum voltage alarm over some of the standard ones. I've got a couple that only warn at 3.5 per cell, which on a 3s trying to power 12V equipment is too low and I'd probably know about it through bad performance before the buzzer went off. I've got a cell checker that I can set I think. Good stuff. I really like hearing other peoples inventions and woes that they've come up with ways to solve. That's what it's all about. Bro hug.

TK102B Manual - the only one I could find that didn't require downloading a pdf: http://www.scribd.com/doc/183733685/TK102B-English-User-Manual#scribd
Device (one of many you can find): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Car-People-Pet-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Tracker-TK102B-Global-GPS-Tracking-Device-/391023108789?hash=item5b0acb22b5:g:O~cAAOSw0e9UrdV l

I'd be interested to hear if anybody else has one they like that has worked for them...

Again, sorry for the long ass post

Tomstoy
2nd December 2015, 12:10 AM
Great story, Hoss!

My gs is 12v but I use a 4s and step it down. I run 4000mah's. She ran all damn day for 3 days at the spring Hartsel meet, ( just so fun to ride along with others). Day 4 the buzzer went off.
I have room for a second battery, which I'll put on a selector switch.

My Drak gets the Crossfire. Just hope I don't ever need to use the finder!

Your idea though, very good. Wouldn't work at Hartsel, ATT coverage was non-existent after Fairplay.
Still, would be useful elsewhere I fly, ( if freakin winter would just go away! Jeez, it's just started! ).

ginger1302
2nd December 2015, 12:21 AM
I usually use a 3s on my ground station for short flights. I have a cable to hook up a car battery if I need to since I usually fly while sitting next to my car. I don't think I will have to worry about flying it long enough to go thru that.

Tomstoy
2nd December 2015, 12:44 AM
One of the biggest kicks I get at the spring Hartsel meet is walking up and down the flight line looking at everybody's equipment. I'm amazed at the diversity of not only the equipment but the solutions to problems the operators came up with.

Can't remember who it was, ( Ian? ), who came up with a relay quad to see around mountains. Not unique, but what I found interesting was it was a one man operation.
How to improve on that? How about bomb dropping a small quad, ( the crap that goes thru my head, :rolleyes: ).

Of course, the award for the biggest geek at the meet went to Brett, c5galaxyengineer, who showed up with his ground COCKPIT station!

ginger1302
2nd December 2015, 12:47 AM
Oh yeah I remember the video of him doing the relay. I once had the idea of using some type of balloon tethered to the ground. Then you could keep it up for as long as the batteries last to run the equipment. The quad would probably be faster and at least if something goes wrong you know it will be on the ground somewhere instead of taking a trip around the world lol.

HFMan
2nd December 2015, 12:49 AM
I'm sold on the TBeacon. I don't want to have to rely on cell service- some places I fly you don't have it. The TBeacon is UHF, fully programmable, has voice response and is activated with a 1700 Hz call tone using a handheld Ham transceiver. It can snoop on GPS data feeding just about any controller (even the Vector) and can give you those coordinates over the air, and has a proximity mode that I've used to easily find the aircraft without relying on the GPS report using a simple homemade yagi. The proximity mode can give you a precise direction to the aircraft, even when you are just 15 feet from the beacon (i.e. no attenuators required, no body blocking, just a simple yagi). I've been able to ping the TBeacon on my Cinetank sitting in my garage from 9 miles away in Colorado Springs, across hilly terrain and definitely not LOS (I had to bounce the signal off Pulpit Rock) It weighs in at just 2 grams, and will run for weeks on a 250mAh 1S battery. Simple, no-frills beacon that is a brilliant design and just plain works. I can build them for $25.

Tomstoy
2nd December 2015, 02:42 AM
Come spring meet, you're going to have to show me that!
Even in finding an acft I like redundancy.

LVSloper
2nd December 2015, 02:52 AM
Vector in FPV planes is the only why to fly in my opinion; I've not had to depend on RTH yet. Although, I have full confidence in my Vector setups plus it does not hurt to have Eagle Eyes for GPS and two DVR backups just in case. ;)

LVSloper
2nd December 2015, 03:03 AM
I plan to give Ultra Kote and 5mil Lam a go on the Drak; hopefully it comes out looking like my Z2 & Z3. Easy colors to see in the desert too. :)6843168430

Hoss
2nd December 2015, 10:50 AM
That ultra kote is pretty sharp looking.

I gave plasti dip a test run last night just to see how it comes out and layers. Definitely many light coats. I tested on porous epp, so it's definitely not going to take as much of a heavy coat or as many passes, but you don't want to go too thick. With regular spray paint you can feather in if you go a little too heavy, but the rubberized stuff kinda coagulates in spots if you hold it too long. Because the surface on the Drak is slick, it should be easier, but with raw epp it's tough to get all the nooks and crannies without going overboard in spots. I'll do a practice run on some epo before diving in to the beast for sure.

Shifteer
2nd December 2015, 12:15 PM
What parts do you plan to Plasti-Dip?

Hoss
2nd December 2015, 12:33 PM
Plasti dip is the paint we've been talking about that sticks to the Drak skin. Forgive me if you know that - it just seemed from the wording that you thought I was rubberizing pieces of the plane (well, I guess we kind of are...) If you already knew that and are asking what I'm going to paint - I'm not 100% sure, but will most likely follow the natural lines (spar channels), as Chris did. Just looks like it's "supposed" to be painted that way to me.

Shifteer
2nd December 2015, 01:07 PM
But isn't Plast-Dip more of a covering than a paint? I've picked up a can of red and black for the build, but not sure how heavy this stuff is and how much i should be using?

Roboforcer X2000
2nd December 2015, 02:30 PM
Over 5 pages just about plasti-dip, jeez lads...:)

Shifteer
2nd December 2015, 02:32 PM
Apparently it's the bomb.

Kreskin
2nd December 2015, 02:58 PM
I put lots on my skyhunter fuse. It can bounce when I land.

Maj.Duty
2nd December 2015, 03:39 PM
I asked a question about it. Never got answered. Basically wondered if it was used for protection or justt because it sticks to EPO. Krylon doesn't stick? Paint for lexan doesn't stick?

xmimx
2nd December 2015, 03:47 PM
Google is your friend...
plasti-dip is used to protect your stuff but as you have different colors, you can use it also to paint it.
they even use plasti-dip to paint entire cars. Just Google it and look at YouTube 📹

Maj.Duty
2nd December 2015, 04:04 PM
Google isn't going to reference the Drak. Yeah it might say, 'sticks to EPO...' but I felt it was better to ask the community how they are using it and why.

Thank you for the reply

jdjeff
2nd December 2015, 04:13 PM
Seems that it was answered in this post http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?36231-Drak-60-quot-info-and-possible-kick-start-thread&p=753213&viewfull=1#post753213

Maj.Duty
2nd December 2015, 04:47 PM
Seems that it was answered in this post http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?36231-Drak-60-quot-info-and-possible-kick-start-thread&p=753213&viewfull=1#post753213

I missed that. Thank you! Thread is moving fast lately.

Hoss
2nd December 2015, 05:07 PM
Things seem to have taken a twist. In efforts to resuscitate creativity, I present you with a rat napping on his nut cage.

http://i.imgur.com/3Of8SvO.jpg

Maj.Duty
2nd December 2015, 05:55 PM
Hoss, loved your long post. Shared it and read it twice. Awesome stuff

Hoss
2nd December 2015, 07:42 PM
Hoss, loved your long post. Shared it and read it twice. Awesome stuff
Good deal. Glad you could get something out of my experiences, and ramblings. That's what's it's all about.

Håvard Støre
2nd December 2015, 09:29 PM
I use a tk102b gps tracker.
Your post about gps trackers have really opened my eyes. A quick look at these devices on Ebay have convinced me. I thought these things were so much more expensive.
I may get myself a tk102. Just need to research some about battery life, weight etc. on the different devices.

ritewing
2nd December 2015, 09:50 PM
The nose cam covers are looking shweeet! I'm also making a template so you know exactly where to center and sink your cameras . The idea is to have a very very clean camera installation in the front of the aircraft . http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/2805f5aecab6225a9f69ae412fdf5fab.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/dc230519d423a12480e61f3cada0ef4f.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/7d9dfb361ebb1f3ebd52f5600df07f3c.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/ad6f6914950535c8a1fe2f318a657afa.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/59ecf342f8810bf5349d219308dc3b5a.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/6b1026632a4bf456085a28bc8806df8a.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/c9a978cacab15aea6a261bb053dfd315.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/7f901dd3b80040f843f1478591362e7d.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/83a12cdff1162b0b357cd66ca64cb0a6.jpg

kross1
2nd December 2015, 09:53 PM
^WANT^

Pushjerk
2nd December 2015, 09:53 PM
Looking great, Chris. We know you're partial to Mobius and the like, but please show some love to GoPro, Xiaomi, etc if possible.

TheBender
2nd December 2015, 09:57 PM
OK, that is sweet.

NEFPV #3 Drak will be
Vector
Dragonlink V3
1.3 or 2.4 interchangeable vtx/antenna
Action Cam with the cover above for sure

Also I am building a Zephyr ZXL... that one will be a Pixhawk loiter and endurance machine, I want to set it in loiter with no FPV feed over our FPV meets for an hour at a time, just because. Also make it go far and high.

Drak will be for FPV fun.

ritewing
2nd December 2015, 09:59 PM
I will make one for go pro soon, the issue is it will have to go back a bit father, then the cone for the field of view needs to be made so you don't get the nose in the view, so I need to model a nice nose by hand to make the mold plug for a go pro. I have some ideas.
This is also why I am also using the foxeer, it does 1080p like the go pro.

ritewing
2nd December 2015, 10:03 PM
Bender you will love the XL, its just a big Condor!

Hoss
2nd December 2015, 10:13 PM
Your post about gps trackers have really opened my eyes. A quick look at these devices on Ebay have convinced me. I thought these things were so much more expensive.
I may get myself a tk102. Just need to research some about battery life, weight etc. on the different devices.
Yeah man - I would have really been in trouble if I had no way of tracking. Regardless of what way you accomplish it, be it gps or some of the other methods mentioned here and elsewhere, just get something. You can plan correctly and thoroughly and build like the best of them, but you can't control something stupid like a servo dying miles out. Lots of people say they'll just look at their dvr. I've got a dvr as well, but the further you are, the higher you most likely will lose video. You lose video at 200ft. up, who knows where that thing is going to end up after it cuts out.

Hoss
2nd December 2015, 10:15 PM
Looking great, Chris. We know you're partial to Mobius and the like, but please show some love to GoPro, Xiaomi, etc if possible.
+1. The Drak deserves a gopro ;)

Pushjerk
2nd December 2015, 10:15 PM
the Island Drak will be flown with DL Advanced - really looking forward to it's capes.

Maj.Duty
2nd December 2015, 10:18 PM
Chris, it is awesome of you to add that to my order. Thanks, bud ;)

kross1
2nd December 2015, 10:44 PM

OK, caught my attention too. I am not yet clean however on the network connectivity, looks like it requires cellular (mentions 2G, and SIM), but also says "No monthly service charges to be paid to the call center." which I find hard to believe.

How does this device work? The manual I read online doesn't clarify.

TheBender
2nd December 2015, 10:55 PM
Just remember they are like mobile phones... if you are flying along a mountain (northeast US mountain same as western foothill) ridge... and you veer off to follow a ravine down and don't comprehend that you will no longer be within LOS for video or control... and you are going 90mph when failsafe kicks in and tries to switch to RTH and banks into the mountain... in the ravine... you are not going to have connectivity and therefore will not get a ping through to the tracker... just going to have to go look for it or wait for the hunters to find it... or if you fly 12 miles out with the wind in 15 minutes and then turn around and go 2mph into the wind and lose your plane...

Fly far and expect to lose it and use a tracker to find it... better you don't fly far. unless you are in the middle of nowhere and then use a tracker and go find your shit. Sorry for letting my east coast population density feeling come across.

kross1
2nd December 2015, 11:04 PM
So the unit needs a SIM card which is active on your cell plan it seems. I've got old SIM cards in old/unused phones, I'm assuming you need to pay a "line fee" to your carrier to have this work, $20 or whatever per month. Sounds right?

TheBenders warnings about having signal, and surviving a crash are well understood!

A good video explaining a lot of the basics is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHTJtMQKx3A , but my SIM ignorance is till showing.

Maj.Duty
2nd December 2015, 11:08 PM
Bender you will love the XL, its just a big Condor!

Before the Drak was announced I was seriously considering the Zephyr XL, even carting it a couple times. I especially like that video of Chris simply ripping it in circles around him. I still Want one. Wish it broke down

ritewing
2nd December 2015, 11:33 PM
Anybody in this thread that wants and XL Zephyr let me know I will hook you up for 150 bucks with film, the new motor for the drak would also be awesome on that plane too on 4s

TheBender
2nd December 2015, 11:56 PM
Anybody in this thread that wants and XL Zephyr let me know I will hook you up for 150 bucks with film, the new motor for the drak would also be awesome on that plane too on 4s

SOMEBODY TELL YUVSKI!!!!!

I have a couple motors I was considering for the XL..... what should AUW be? and best prop diameter? Also Elevons are BEEFY. I was thinking of cutting them down as I only have elevons half the size on my Sweepwings Dreadnought and it flies like a Popwing. Is there a reason for the mass of the elevons included with the XL, Chris?

Maj.Duty
3rd December 2015, 12:15 AM
Still a kit? I'll pay pal you tonight

ritewing
3rd December 2015, 12:19 AM
Yes taper them though, the big elevons alow small movements that make for great speed retention in maneuvers. And crazy anti stall caricturistics that alow you to steer out of stall. They are huge for a reason.

ritewing
3rd December 2015, 12:20 AM
Email me ritewing@hotmail. com
We will get you taken care of, thnx guys

TheBender
3rd December 2015, 12:22 AM
Yes taper them though, the big elevons alow small movements that make for great speed retention in maneuvers. And crazy anti stall caricturistics that alow you to steer out of stall. They are huge for a reason.

A lot to think about there... great insight, thanks. Looking forward to building this over the winter break. But much more looking forward to the DRAK!

Hoss
3rd December 2015, 12:46 AM
So the unit needs a SIM card which is active on your cell plan it seems. I've got old SIM cards in old/unused phones, I'm assuming you need to pay a "line fee" to your carrier to have this work, $20 or whatever per month. Sounds right?

TheBenders warnings about having signal, and surviving a crash are well understood!

A good video explaining a lot of the basics is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHTJtMQKx3A , but my SIM ignorance is till showing.
You get a pre-paid sim. It's (for me) $0.10 per message off the prepay. I walked into at&t, gave them I think 10 or 15 bucks, got the prepaid service for a few months and was on my way. You do an initial setup once, following the instructions (really just setting your password and codes). When you get to to the field, you turn it on and stick it on the table while you set up your gear, so it can acquire signal. You send a message to it telling it to start working, and it sends you a confirmation that it's good to go. I then call it to test it. It picks up and hangs up, then sends me a link to Google maps. If the map shows where I'm standing (has never failed yet), then I stick it in the bay and chuck my plane.

Is there a chance that it could end up somewhere with no signal? Sure.. There is no recovery system that is immune to every scenario - a hard enough crash or device that is fully blocked by something or no longer has a power source after a bad crash is at risk as well. That chance is less than the chance of your plane going down, hopefully. It's cheap. If someone were to say "I'm not going to throw $40 bucks at it because there's a chance that I could get into a situation where it wouldn't work", and then proceed to fly with nothing, that person would be using some pretty clouded judgement given the cost of, and time put into a fully built airframe, imo. I don't know the cell carrier availability or coverage issues anyone might encounter all over different parts of the country or world, but I've been running it for about a year and it's never once failed to respond to me in any location I've flown (or in buildings, basements etc). It's also brought me to 2 downed planes so far, so I have a respect for it.

Are there better technologies out there? Yes, there are. Someone mentioned a system they were using a page or 2 back that sounded like they were pretty confident in, although I didn't get a chance to research it yet, but will do so. This is just what I happened upon and what has worked for me... and that small amount of change out of my pocket has so far saved me thousands of dollars in lost equipment and hours of crying, naked and afraid in a cold dark room, had I lost my rig.

Now - I can't believe I'm just now hearing about Dragon link v3... Feel like I've been under a rock or something. I just checked it out quickly and it seems to offer some recovery functionality built in (does require other equipment). I already use Dragon link, so this upgrade is a must for me providing my research turns out the way I hope it will and it is what I hope it is. I will say though, regardless of what device I do put in an aircraft for recovery in the future - regardless of how expensive or how accurate or how dependable or how cool, this little thing that I have been using will still be going for the ride. A hard crash that rips the battery out of the fuse and blacks out the system or out of the device itself if it's got an internal power source, is useless. I slap the cover on this thing, tape it up so the battery can't come out even if you hit it with a bat, and I've been happy so far. It's a small price to pay in denero and in weight for even a slight chance of recovering a plane. Fortunately for me, it's proven to be 100% effective up to this point.

Pushjerk
3rd December 2015, 05:45 AM
^Yeah man, it's been super quiet in the Lab regarding DL V3. I'm still puzzled by this, given the reputation of DL, and the things that the V3 can/will do. The RCG DL thread is blowing up - seems like they're coming up with something new every day that this thing can do - APM/Pixhawk and Vector integration, spitting telemetry data onto the Taranis display...they're getting creative. Drak will be getting the DL treatment.

kross1
3rd December 2015, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the great reply Hoss. I will check with my carrier for pricing.

Hoss
3rd December 2015, 08:59 AM
^Yeah man, it's been super quiet in the Lab regarding DL V3. I'm still puzzled by this, given the reputation of DL, and the things that the V3 can/will do. The RCG DL thread is blowing up - seems like they're coming up with something new every day that this thing can do - APM/Pixhawk and Vector integration, spitting telemetry data onto the Taranis display...they're getting creative. Drak will be getting the DL treatment.
Is Mike (jettpilot) still running / the face of the show for them? The description on the site for v3 sounded like him talking - the way he's always described dragon link, but I got a bounceback on an email to him... I would guess if they're doing a lot more then they're probably staffed better and he doesn't need all support tickets going to his inbox. Just an assumption though. I ask because he's always been on top of promoting the product and I can't say I stay away from rc / fpv content on the web, but hadn't heard of it till yesterday. He's always been partial to rcg over the lab, but c'mon dude!

It says it utilizes mavlink... Does that mean only pix / apm type platforms will interface? I need to get over to rcg and dig in I suppose.

oleg_t
3rd December 2015, 09:11 AM
DL v3, Crossfire, some new secret long range Chris mentioned... i feel really silly with my old-school EzUHF now ))

Maj.Duty
3rd December 2015, 01:14 PM
I'm glad now I held off of buying DL, which I'm planning to use. V3 sounds nice. I was going to wait until the last possible moment because new products and revisions are coming out all the time. I can't tell you how many times I bought some electronics only to see the new revision come out a few weeks later.

Hoss
3rd December 2015, 02:27 PM
From Mike in a post in another, lesser forum ;) I'm pretty damn excited about this.

"With Mission Planner and telemetry from either Pixhawk or Vector, you will be able to continue to fly your plane even if you loose video, which is a HUGE safety advantage."

Psyched that it interfaces with vector. Wasn't aware that vector could output on that protocol. Guess I never really had a reason to tear apart vector down to that level... It just works.

Håvard Støre
3rd December 2015, 03:28 PM
Most of the parts I need for the build are either in transit or already on my bench. As a recording camera I am seriously considering the Runcam 2. From the tests I have seen it marginally outperforms the foxeer because of the sunshield and better focus. The smaller fov is also a benefit on the runcam. Gopro is to expensive and Xianwhatever is more often than not out of focus. Any thoughts?

WillM
3rd December 2015, 04:43 PM
Keep up the awesome work, Chris! The nose pieces look like a great idea! It is always a challenge, for me, to build form AND function into a single airframe. I like my stuff to perform solid and look nice.

P.I.Engineer
3rd December 2015, 06:59 PM
check this out, this is the range ticket for radio and telem

http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/

Tomstoy
3rd December 2015, 07:12 PM
The nose cam covers are looking shweeet! I'm also making a template so you know exactly where to center and sink your cameras . The idea is to have a very very clean camera installation in the front of the aircraft . http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/2805f5aecab6225a9f69ae412fdf5fab.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/dc230519d423a12480e61f3cada0ef4f.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/7d9dfb361ebb1f3ebd52f5600df07f3c.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/ad6f6914950535c8a1fe2f318a657afa.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/59ecf342f8810bf5349d219308dc3b5a.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/6b1026632a4bf456085a28bc8806df8a.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/c9a978cacab15aea6a261bb053dfd315.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/7f901dd3b80040f843f1478591362e7d.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/02/83a12cdff1162b0b357cd66ca64cb0a6.jpg

Really sweet!

Fab one for the GoPro 4. please.

Not only will this hold and protect cameras but will be great protection for those not so graceful landings into the brush, ( not that I plan to do that, I never do. ).

Captain crash
3rd December 2015, 07:45 PM
Chris...are the nose covers going to be available before you start shipping the preorder Draks??

Hoss
3rd December 2015, 08:02 PM
That's a hell of a post to keep quoting :)

I don't want to cut this foam at all... Let me just say that first. But, a gopro has a pretty big vertical and horizontal profile relative to the much smaller mobius-type cameras. Sticking one up on the tip of a very long nose makes me feel like it would affect something. Not so much at slower speeds, but at 80, a gopro essentially out in the open can produce some significant drag, and being that it's that far forward, possibly even affect flight performance (<-- that may only be in my head, but it sounds logical to me). Since I plan to fly a gopro, I'm probably going to end up burying it in there... There might be some ways to get it mounted more out front using the nose piece, for a lower profile (and I don't doubt Chris's ingenuity) but if not, either in the foam itself or in the z3 type gopro / flight cam box mounted nicely in there. I really like the look of the nose on the Drak. To not have to get surgical on this bird would be a dream, but I just might have to. What I originally thought Chris was saying when taking about vacuum fit nose sections was a cover for the mods that we made to the foam while installing cameras - to bring the nose back into shape. I realize now that it really makes no sense, as it would really only be for aesthetics... At what point do you decide "I'm going to remove my cameras and fly like that"? For me, never.

So Chris, do you have any clever ideas around how a gopro could go nicely on the nose using a mold? It would have to either be somewhat miss-shapened or kinda squared off a little so it didn't taper so quickly to allow the cam to nestle down in there a bit and also not go too far above the actual top profile of the plane. We're looking at about 59mm wide and almost 41mm tall compared with the mobius's 35mm wide and 18mm tall. Funny how I feel like what was the world's tiniest high end camera is too freaking beefy right now.

Anybody other builders out there already have plans or ideas around how they're going to go about jamming their video gear in this fine, majestic flaming dragon warrior princess?

Captain crash
3rd December 2015, 08:23 PM
I cant make any decisions of what goes where on the nose until its actually here although I will be using a mobius as opposed to a gopro mainly due to cost rather than size.....Lost a gopro on a quad about a year back, infact lost the whole quad!

Majestic flaming dragon warrior princess........love it.........after that mouthful Drak seems a bit lame!!!!

ritewing
3rd December 2015, 08:33 PM
You will have too see what I come up with for the Go pro , its not going to be like the Z3 mount.
It will have a molded piece that goes over it, it will be clean, not a conglomeration.

Hoss
3rd December 2015, 08:59 PM
You will have too see what I come up with for the Go pro , its not going to be like the Z3 mount.
It will have a molded piece that goes over it, it will be clean, not a conglomeration.
I'm psyched. Weren't sure if you were going to go all the way with the gopro. I'm sure many appreciate it including myself.

Hoss
3rd December 2015, 09:19 PM
I cant make any decisions of what goes where on the nose until its actually here although I will be using a mobius as opposed to a gopro mainly due to cost rather than size.....Lost a gopro on a quad about a year back, infact lost the whole quad!

Majestic flaming dragon warrior princess........love it.........after that mouthful Drak seems a bit lame!!!!
That's a hard loss... They all are really.

Re: the name - no way dude! That's one bad bitch! Picture this chick with me for a minute. A fire breathing, winged, chainmale mini-skirt wearing, sword wielding stack of goodness that also loves pink, puppies and that you can bring home to mom. She probably has black hair, cause chicks that have black hair are just sexy in that dark kinda way. She's it... She's the one... She'll keep you safe at night, and Chris will be sending her to your doorstep soon :)

I might be a little fk'd up in the head, if you hadn't gathered that already. Blame an older brother and the military.

kross1
4th December 2015, 12:01 AM
TK102-B ordered, $28.99. Very curious to confirm that this will work on Verizon. Talking to them it can be done as "pre-pay" or added to my existing family-plan, like they add a smart-watch at about $5 per month, and it uses my unlimited txt messages. Much better than pre-pay!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA76H2GS8715

Thanks for the clue to this Hoss and others, wait and see how it works. At the price, have to try it.

This one comes with an EU wall charger (useless I expect), but it'll charge fine off of USB.

Maj.Duty
4th December 2015, 12:10 AM
Lol KRoss1, I like how you jump right in and then wonder if it will work with the same carrier I have. I do that stuff too

Hoss
4th December 2015, 12:23 AM
Lol KRoss1, I like how you jump right in and then wonder if it will work with the same carrier I have. I do that stuff too
You have this tracker on Verizon? I didn't go with att by choice - I scoured forums when I first got it to get going and "learned" that it wouldn't work on their network, but that it would on att. I'm curious, but then again I'm afraid to change something that has never failed me...

Maj.Duty
4th December 2015, 12:39 AM
No, I just recent learned about it. I would be Very surprised if Verizon does not have a solution. But isn't there other GPS technologies available? Can't you review OSD information and get your downed aircraft GPS coordinates?

I never want to down my craft but with a couple thousand geocaches found, some the size of a button, I think finding a large airplane with coordinates would be a walk in the park, errr, mountains

Hoss
4th December 2015, 01:10 AM
No, I just recent learned about it. I would be Very surprised if Verizon does not have a solution. But isn't there other GPS technologies available? Can't you review OSD information and get your downed aircraft GPS coordinates?

I never want to down my craft but with a couple thousand geocaches found, some the size of a button, I think finding a large airplane with coordinates would be a walk in the park, errr, mountains
I hear that plan a lot. I see a serious flaw in the assumption that seeing last coordinates will bring you to your plane. If you've ever crashed a plane just a little bit away from yourself when flying los, in the woods or tall vegetation, you know how difficult it can be to find something even when you know where it went.

You really only run the possibly of losing your aircraft for good and have a real need for a solution if you're flying beyond vlos. The further you go, the higher you must be to maintain video signal. The higher and further you go, the higher the threshold of minimum altitude to maintain video. Say you're out 3 miles. Something happens and your plane begins to lose altitude. You lose video at say 200 or 300 feet. You go back to your dvr, look up the last location and go there. The area you now have to cover from that spot is tremendous. You don't know what happened after you lost video. Did it catch a breeze and turn? How long did it glide for? Did somebody pick it up? Did it catch a tree and is sitting 40 feet up where I'll absolutely never see it even if I was right by it? Or, you could run into situations like I have - suddenly and completely lose video at over 1000 feet. At that point you just hope someone found it and that you have a "please don't steal my plane and please call me" sticker on it. There is no hope of finding it otherwise. With this thing, I can set it to send me it's location every 30 seconds, send me an alert if it moves, have it call me so I can listen to the audio that's around it, etc. I can find my plane.

With the Verizon thing - it had something to do with ATT and T-Mobile being gsm/gprs (which the tracker uses) based and Verizon bring cdma based. It's not just give it simple cell service and it works. I can't say it won't... But I remember leaning that I couldn't simply go in to Verizon, of whom I'm a customer, and get a basic line put on my account. I went to att like others said and it worked.

EDIT: after going to the manual and doing a little research on the major mobile carrier technology in the US, I'm fairly certain it will not work on Verizon. The device uses gsm/gprs networks in conjunction with gps to calculate location and send it via sms. Verizon does not have any gsm/gprs networks, nor have they ever, from what I have found. T-mobile and at&t seem to be the two US carriers that maintain these networks.

oleg_t
4th December 2015, 01:47 AM
Guys, just wanted to add on a GPS tracker side - I bought this one some time ago:
http://m.made-in-china.com/product-723702395/Mini-GPS-Tracker-Watch-for-Kids-and-Elderly.html haven't tried it yet though. But its really small I lite

Hoss
4th December 2015, 02:28 AM
Guys, just wanted to add on a GPS tracker side - I bought this one some time ago:
http://m.made-in-china.com/product-723702395/Mini-GPS-Tracker-Watch-for-Kids-and-Elderly.html haven't tried it yet though. But its really small I lite
It should function exactly the same as the one I have. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, it has that one and the one I have next to each other in a comparison. They're equal in basic functionally, both use gsm networks - the 1 difference is emergency buttons on the one you got so kids can call for help if they need it. It's tinier, so easier to tuck somewhere, and I'm sure lighter. Let me know how it works if you end up setting it up.

On another note, it seemed to me when reading the forums that the tech for dragon link / vector / taranis integration isn't there yet. I saw posts from the last few days where people were fiddling and figuring things out, but no clear path to a solid, correctly functioning system. Does anyone have different or more information on that? I'm going to get a new tx regardless based on other features, but am curious about how successful this portion will be in the end if even dragon link doesn't have a process for getting things to work. Thanks.

HFMan
4th December 2015, 03:04 AM
Got my batteries for the Drak today. Revolectrix 5S 30C 4600mAh 4.35HV. I fly 427 Revo's on the Z3, and these are awesome batteries. Two will weigh 1050 grams- I'm not concerned at all because I also use two 5500's on the Z3 that weigh 1020 grams total. Almost have everything gathered to build this beast!

http://www.pervinco.com/RC/Drak/Revo_4600_5S_30C_435HV.jpg

tritan
4th December 2015, 03:11 AM
My guess is that they (DL) are so busy with the new DL V3 that they cant be everwhere so focusing on rcg for now. There is a huge interest and they are way back on orders.
I had IRC but didnt like it for several reasons and now I have DL V2 and is a very happy camper, in a couple of month I will also change to V3.
Mike's customer support on rcg is outstanding, best in business I would say.
If you need antennas take a look at Mikes 1.3 dipoles - the best by far. I have tried all, truerc, VAS etc but his dipoles are outstanding. And they cost $14 including free shipping world wide!!!

tritan
4th December 2015, 03:11 AM
Is Mike (jettpilot) still running / the face of the show for them? The description on the site for v3 sounded like him talking - the way he's always described dragon link, but I got a bounceback on an email to him... I would guess if they're doing a lot more then they're probably staffed better and he doesn't need all support tickets going to his inbox. Just an assumption though. I ask because he's always been on top of promoting the product and I can't say I stay away from rc / fpv content on the web, but hadn't heard of it till yesterday. He's always been partial to rcg over the lab, but c'mon dude!

It says it utilizes mavlink... Does that mean only pix / apm type platforms will interface? I need to get over to rcg and dig in I suppose.

My guess is that they (DL) are so busy with the new DL V3 that they cant be everwhere so focusing on rcg for now. There is a huge interest and they are way back on orders.
I had IRC but didnt like it for several reasons and now I have DL V2 and is a very happy camper, in a couple of month I will also change to V3.
Mike's customer support on rcg is outstanding, best in business I would say.
If you need antennas take a look at Mikes 1.3 dipoles - the best by far. I have tried all, truerc, VAS etc but his dipoles are outstanding. And they cost $14 including free shipping world wide!!!

HFMan
4th December 2015, 03:12 AM
Correct- Dennis has only recently started to incorporate the Vector polling (The Vector UART now responds to S-Port polling.) That is purely in development, and extremely early beta. He's a hard worker, and has done a lot of improvements since V3 was released. Dragonlink team is awesome, working hard and putting out lots of very good products these days. The support is stellar (I'm speaking from experience).

On another note, it seemed to me when reading the forums that the tech for dragon link / vector / taranis integration isn't there yet. I saw posts from the last few days where people were fiddling and figuring things out, but no clear path to a solid, correctly functioning system. Does anyone have different or more information on that? I'm going to get a new tx regardless based on other features, but am curious about how successful this portion will be in the end if even dragon link doesn't have a process for getting things to work. Thanks.

tritan
4th December 2015, 04:57 AM
And they communicate almost daily with us, the customers, no problem with suggestions or wishes what to incorporate into the DL system, now mostly the new V3.
I dont say this often, but frankly, I couldnt be happier.

Correct- Dennis has only recently started to incorporate the Vector polling (The Vector UART now responds to S-Port polling.) That is purely in development, and extremely early beta. He's a hard worker, and has done a lot of improvements since V3 was released. Dragonlink team is awesome, working hard and putting out lots of very good products these days. The support is stellar (I'm speaking from experience).

kross1
4th December 2015, 09:28 AM
You have this tracker on Verizon? I didn't go with att by choice - I scoured forums when I first got it to get going and "learned" that it wouldn't work on their network, but that it would on att. I'm curious, but then again I'm afraid to change something that has never failed me...

I'll let you know.... from Hoss's post sounds like it won't work on Verizon, but in speaking to Verizon's 1-800-support folks yesterday they had a copy of the specs for the device, and we discussed the Network: GSM/GPRS, and they didn't say that was an issue. Maybe they didn't know what they were seeing, entirely possible.

Guess I'll find out in a couple/few weeks, I'll let you know. If it won't work on Verizon, I'll see about the cost of a pre-paid SIM card for AT&T (or other), and decide. All else fails, it's only ~$30, and easily to resell I expect.

kross1
4th December 2015, 09:40 AM

I lost a plane last Fall, in an area I know extremely well, a 4' wingspan hot-pink and bright-yellow bird. It was only maybe 100' up, I had the last-known GPS coordinates from the OSD, and actually found the bird 3 months later about 400 feet away from those GPS co-ordinates.

I had passed the bird a dozen times in my MANY searches, it was near ground level in the brush between a field and a forest, it had come down thru the forest.

Overhead video flights didn't reveal it as the leaves had not yet fallen, found it via a flight taking hi-res stills after the leaves had fallen, retrieved it in a heavy snow-storm the next morning.

I like the idea of the GPS tracker which sends you its' location, as long as it has signal, survives a crash, etc etc etc

LVSloper
4th December 2015, 10:58 AM
Picked up these TP 5s 7800mah for the Drak on Black Friday - buy one get on free! 899g/32.1oz..68475

Hoss
4th December 2015, 11:01 AM
Picked up these TP 5s 7800mah for the Drak on Black Friday - buy one get on free! 899g/32.1oz..68475
Nice. What are those 10s puppies for?

TheBender
4th December 2015, 12:05 PM
Nice. What are those 10s puppies for?

I think those are 5 sets of 2 cells in parallel so that is just a side view of the 5S battery?

Shifteer
4th December 2015, 12:44 PM
So is that colouring Plasti-Dip or paint? :)

Hoss
4th December 2015, 01:01 PM
I think those are 5 sets of 2 cells in parallel so that is just a side view of the 5S battery?
I think you're right. Those are some wide juice packs! Nice weight though.

xmimx
4th December 2015, 05:44 PM
Chris,

Looks really nice m8.

Is this nose cam cover replacing the Mobius flight cam tough box that was included in the full drak package?

ritewing
4th December 2015, 05:59 PM
Yes it's the mobius mount, and here is the go pro version, still tweaking it a bit, but it's pretty kickass http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/04/5f85bb966557092a3d76a55e146095ef.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/04/38fb34a37863a6fb642c1793986a438f.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/04/da8ebb7a431febff34c7d2f87509638d.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/04/d4791e60abc6ea656ff8f7787646d77c.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/04/b2fc0cedecbbb35dcf29039197509d8c.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/04/511a62d7a70e45b2362c72875d52bde2.jpg

Hoss
4th December 2015, 06:06 PM
Yeah buddy. Good shizzle.

Håvard Støre
4th December 2015, 07:54 PM
Its so cool of you to show this much of the process Chris. Following this thread the past year have been an adventure, and there is obviously still more to come. I do like the Mobius mount for the Z3 very much, but the way you integrate the cameras into the nose of the Drak is engineering poetry.

ritewing
4th December 2015, 08:58 PM
Thnx guys , here is a few more I didn't like the first rendition of the GoPro, so I made a whole new plughttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/04/617c79e451d8a45b27059da52a797b28.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/04/f65f121e59f1b9a3dab6c908fa2569c7.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/04/fb563c2a39248c40246213284385d5dc.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/04/1bba7d46699be49950b51c7db65c63d1.jpg

Hoss
4th December 2015, 09:04 PM
That clay around it will turn into the actual housing, correct? I got excited to see a gopro on a mount, but wondered how it was going to be attached. You're essentially making a socket for it? Then cut one side of the nose to fit the mount? Thanks Chris.

kross1
4th December 2015, 09:10 PM
As far as the GPS locator TK 102B, found this on EBay:

There is No subscription fees involved, No contract to sign.
All you need is an activated pre-paid GSM SIM Card from a provider such as AT&T, T-Mobile, MetroPCS or H2O, this is in case you are in the USA. But If you are located overseas, meaning in a country other than the USA, please get your SIM Card from a provider of GSM Services in your Country because this device will only work under a GSM Network. If you leave in Canada for example, use Rogers or Fido. If you are in Mexico or Latin America, use Telcel, Movistar, Claro. Please make sure you get a Standard (Mini) SIM Card, the biggest in size.
NOTE: For US users, TRACFONE, VERIZON, SPRINT, VIRGIN Mobile SIM CARDS WILL NOT WORK WITH THESE UNITS

So I may have issues as far as Verizon, wait and see.

ritewing
4th December 2015, 09:13 PM
No the clay is to smooth the transitions, I am using this to pull a single nice vac mold piece off of, then I will take the new piece and pour liquid plastic in to make a durable mold I can use all the time.

I am making this to make a mold so I can have one to use all the time. This one is a one shot deal on this piece.

Hoss
4th December 2015, 09:14 PM
You will. You live in New York, right? Do you have att or T-Mobile stores near you? If so, then you're good.

I think if we want to keep going on about gps's we should probably start another thread.

Hoss
4th December 2015, 09:20 PM
No the clay is to smooth the transitions, I am using this to pull a single nice vac mold piece off of, then I will take the new piece and pour liquid plastic in to make a durable mold I can use all the time.

I am making this to make a mold so I can have one to use all the time. This one is a one shot deal on this piece.
Understood - but when you pull the gopro out of an actual mount, there should be a cavity, no? What I meant was - is where you have the clay now, tapering down over top of the gopro like it does going to be part of the mount? Then just slide in and strap over to secure it? Or will it be like the first one you posted, just sleeker?

kross1
4th December 2015, 09:42 PM
With the TK 102B, the cheap answer may be T-Mobile $3 a month "Pay as you go" which includes 30 calls or 30 text messages, with $0.10 per call/txt above the first 30.

That's like $36/year for the phone number to make it work, and I'll blow the 30 in setting it up I am sure, but for "normal uses" 30 a month is enough. Pretty cheap. You can get the nano SIM card with MICRO and STANDARD adaptors for $0.99. The reviews however reveal problems with the adapters, it might be worth asking for a STANDARD size SIM card instead.

I'll let you know how this works out for me.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go

ritewing
4th December 2015, 09:43 PM
Ok what do you like better the first two pics or the last two pics ? Then you can see the damage it did to the clay upon removal, hi stuck it in the freezer for about 15 minutes to get it really cold and hard before I pulled the mold over it. Then when I removed it you can see how it all came apart, it's just a one shot deal to get a nice shaped pulled off ithttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/04/042fcfb70f10ec8d65a2bf80c0417c0b.jpg .http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/04/ffe42be8ce3889e40b862a11af4bb79b.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/04/63a290ab534c1522a60838d2e1fafa51.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/04/dde48ab98bd4ba5e174565d7a911e827.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/04/291ed697bf0701130f1b381b29b210b1.jpg

Hoss
4th December 2015, 09:56 PM
I got you - I totally understand the process brother. I think I'm just asking my question wrong...

In the finished product - a real mount - will the parts of the gopro that you had covered with clay be part of the actual mount, like a housing? Meaning, will the gopro fit into the mount, with the mount overlapping the gopro and hugging it, as the original clay throw away template did?

Basically what I'm getting at is that having a mount that is the structural support of the camera is nice. Then you basically just need to slide it into its housing and put a safety strap over it so it doesn't fly out, rather than having to really mount it on something and have it be fully exposed.

Hoss
4th December 2015, 10:00 PM
Look man, don't let me keep pulling you from your work - I'll just wait and see how the finished product comes out. Figured I'd just throw my .02 in about having the gopro fit into a cavity in the mount rather than mounting on the outside and being exposed, while you were still early in the process. Thanks for the hard work. This thing gets better and better every day, and it's not even out yet!

ritewing
4th December 2015, 10:05 PM
There's a few ways you can do it you can cut the firewall off and mount the GoPro and your flight camera directly to the firewall, the way I was going to do it was mount the GoPro in the cowling, mount the flight camera on the firewall, and you get the GoPro out you just push it backwards out of the cowling when you remove the nose cone cowling. You could put a little velcro inside there on the back of it to hold it in. There's a few different ways you can do it, whatever you feel like you want to do. If you look at the pictures you can see where I put the clay the reason for that is I could not remove the mold off of that plug due to the fact the plastic sucked around the camera and wouldn't let it loose. This would not let me pull the molded pieces off of the plug during making molds over the plug. So if you can't remove there molded piece your plug is shite. I'm about done for the night, I've been at this plugs and molds for about a week and a half now. I will update you guys tomorrow on the next step, thanks for watching guys.

hjscm
4th December 2015, 10:07 PM
looks awesome man. can't wait for them all to come in.

Maj.Duty
4th December 2015, 11:57 PM
Hoss, I thought the coordinates could be accessible even if video was lost. I thought maybe telemetry info was still available but if not, then I hear ya. Absolutely would want some kind of stand alone GPS tracker because yeah, I've seen planes go down in high grass 200' away and people not being able to find it

Captain crash
5th December 2015, 04:41 AM
When I lost my quad I looked into a tracker device quite thoroughly and final settled on a Marco Polo unit and have to say it's brilliant. Haven't had to use it for real yet but tested it out out in various scenarios after getting it. For long range flights if the plane goes down I can use GPS cords for getting reasonable close then the Marco Polo. Claims about 1 1/2 mile range but had about a mile out of it in hilly ground where we fly. Transmitters are 4 gms and the battery lasts for days, no charges after the initial purchase. Initial cost was quite big but comparing it to my LR quad with full fpv gear, GoPro, LR kit etc etc, it was worth it......gives me peace of mind every flight....love it!

Hoss, I thought the coordinates could be accessible even if video was lost. I thought maybe telemetry info was still available but if not, then I hear ya. Absolutely would want some kind of stand alone GPS tracker because yeah, I've seen planes go down in high grass 200' away and people not being able to find it

cmarkussen67
5th December 2015, 05:54 AM
There is a lot of talk about the GPS trackers. I am going to order the TBS CrossFire not only because of it fenomenal range but also because it has integrated telemetry which transmits the GPS coordinates back to the TX continously and displays it there. It also has a built in tracking function / beacon with an integrated backup battery in the RX. No need for GSM service and coverage and no extra equipment. The Crossfire also integrates with the Vector which I plan to use with the Drak. More options 😉

Captain crash
5th December 2015, 06:41 AM
Yes I am contemplating the crossfire for the Drak with a vector but eager to see what Chris has in the pipeline........any idea when this might be available Chris or is it still in the idea/development stages???

There is a lot of talk about the GPS trackers. I am going to order the TBS CrossFire not only because of it fenomenal range but also because it has integrated telemetry which transmits the GPS coordinates back to the TX continously and displays it there. It also has a built in tracking function / beacon with an integrated backup battery in the RX. No need for GSM service and coverage and no extra equipment. The Crossfire also integrates with the Vector which I plan to use with the Drak. More options 

mashednz
5th December 2015, 04:12 PM
When I lost my quad I looked into a tracker device quite thoroughly and final settled on a Marco Polo unit and have to say it's brilliant. Haven't had to use it for real yet but tested it out out in various scenarios after getting it. For long range flights if the plane goes down I can use GPS cords for getting reasonable close then the Marco Polo. Claims about 1 1/2 mile range but had about a mile out of it in hilly ground where we fly. Transmitters are 4 gms and the battery lasts for days, no charges after the initial purchase. Initial cost was quite big but comparing it to my LR quad with full fpv gear, GoPro, LR kit etc etc, it was worth it......gives me peace of mind every flight....love it!

I've used my marco polo for real with my Z3 from about 1km away from the crash site which was in pretty dense scrub. It took me straight to to it. The spot it was crashed I couldn't see it until I was about 3m away. I have a dvr and osd coords to get in the ballpark if the flight is longer than the marco polo's range.

kross1
5th December 2015, 04:25 PM
There is a lot of talk about the GPS trackers. I am going to order the TBS CrossFire not only because of it fenomenal range but also because it has integrated telemetry which transmits the GPS coordinates back to the TX continously and displays it there. It also has a built in tracking function / beacon with an integrated backup battery in the RX. No need for GSM service and coverage and no extra equipment. The Crossfire also integrates with the Vector which I plan to use with the Drak. More options 

I hear ya, my Taranis plus does that, the $40 GPS sensor lets the Taranis radio record 10x/second the location of the plane. I have not had to use it yet for locating the plane after a crash, but it may help.

I think of the cellular GPS locator, or a Marco Polo, as added insurance. Sometimes a belt is good, along with suspenders.

Håvard Støre
5th December 2015, 05:41 PM
I hear ya, my Taranis plus does that, the $40 GPS sensor lets the Taranis radio record 10x/second the location of the plane. I have not had to use it yet for locating the plane after a crash, but it may help.
What sensor do you mean? Will it work long distance?

kross1
5th December 2015, 07:46 PM
What sensor do you mean? Will it work long distance?

I don't know how far the range is on the Taranis telemetry, I've done it to 1.25 miles, which is nothing compared to some of you guys. The GPS sensor is:
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-sp-gps-smart-port-gps-sensor-gps-v2.html for $32

What I love to do with it is upload the data into Companion and plot it onto Google Earth as follows:

I also like their Lipo sensor, on the Taranis you can see the pack/all cells voltages, and have audible alerts based on the voltages.

https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-sp-flvs-smart-port-lipo-voltage-sensor.html

Hoss
5th December 2015, 08:39 PM
The frsky system has a ton of capability. I've got a couple I use on multi's / small planes. Only problem is you've got to fly on 2.4, so with anything larger or faster (Drak for example), range on the control link can become an issue real quick.

The good news is that the dragon link / vector / taranis integration looks very promising, so a lot of great features will be available with that system as time moves on.

WillM
7th December 2015, 01:30 PM
Chris, I really like the idea of the GoPro mount. Will you be building in any downward angle/tilt? I can't speak for everyone, but the pilots I know (me included) like to have the horizon a little higher than the middle of the screen. Definitely more important for the flight camera, but also nice on the HD cam, too.

There has been a lot of talk about LRS systems, GPS locators, and PlastiDip in this thread. In most threads I think these would be thought of as 'off-topic', but it seems the Drak thread is more of a community discussion about this eagerly-anticipated airframe. Pretty cool!

I have a Crossfire with Vector in a MiniTalon. It works great, and both companies are working to make the products work even better together. Currently, to get GPS functionality on the Crossfire, the TBS GPS must be connected to the Crossfire receiver. Eagle Tree is actively working on having the Vector relay GPS information to the Crossfire, which would give the Crossfire full GPS functionality through the Vector's GPS unit. That said, in my Mini Talon, with Crossfire + TBS GPS, the find mode works reliably and very well. If the power to the Rx is switched off before the Tx, the Tx will go into find mode, and the Rx will stay powered up, running from its internal battery. The Crossfire has 2 find modes; GPS and RSSI/beacon. With the GPS connected, the Crossfire's OLED display constantly display's the models GPS coordinates. If the main power is still available to the Crossfire Rx & GPS, the Rx will broadcast current GPS location. If the main power is not available, and the Crossfire Rx is running from its internal battery, the Rx will broadcast its last known GPS coordinates. Once in find mode, with the Rx running off of its internal backup battery, you use the Crossfire Tx to send a remote shut down command to the Rx (after you find the plane). Very cool. TBS is working on better integration with FrSky Taranis/telemetry. The latest nightly build of OpenTx supports Crossfire output to the external module. That means the Taranis digital signal goes directly to the crossfire, saving the time it takes to generate the PPM signal output from the Taranis to the Crossfire Tx, reducing latency by a cycle, I believe (22.5 - 27.5ms?). According to TBS, this was the first step to feed telemetry data into the Taranis. Lots of innovation going on with radio, telemetry, and LRS, from a few different sources. Sweet, we all win!

ritewing
7th December 2015, 01:37 PM
Yes I also like 1/3 sky 2/3 earth, so it has some downward angle.

Hoss
7th December 2015, 01:51 PM
Yeah, the new systems are doing some awesome stuff that I will most certainly be taking advantage of. Tbs is on the right track with internal batteries. 1 of the 2 times I've needed to recover, I had no power, which is incredibly likely in a crash that you couldn't control the last seconds (or minutes) of. Some of the systems that had /have good recovery functionality built in, but require power to function would've been as good as not having it at all in the incidents I've been involved in. A device, be it tbs (or any other manufacturer) or gps - anything, with an internal battery is necessary if you want to fly far and keep your plane. The power loss should happen on impact (although on mine it happened just below the clouds) so you should have an accurate beacon broadcast. If you do lose power mid flight, which is unlikely unless you fry something (like me, or suddenly fly into rain or something), then it's not going to be an accurate broadcast. Those are unlikely scenarios though, and more times than not won't happen in that way. My thinking is: $40 - broadcast current location always - sold, although some may not have the resources available for that type of recovery device. Just happens to be full coverage in my area. Fly any plane long enough and something will go. Moving parts will break down over time and fail in any system. Sometimes you're close, sometimes you might not be... Gotta have something with power in it still reaching out to let you know where to go.

Very excited about all the new stuff. It's going to drive a lot of competition, so we should keep seeing really good innovation and some rapid growth with the manufacturers we've got out there. Good times.

WillM
7th December 2015, 02:43 PM
Yes I also like 1/3 sky 2/3 earth, so it has some downward angle.

Awesome! LOL! My initial post said 1/3 sky and 2/3 earth, but I edited it down to more than 1/2 - 1/3 sky kind of sounded extreme when I read it back. Glad I'm not the only one! :)

I am pretty disappointed to have missed out on the Thunder Power BOGO15 deal. I thought I had placed an order on Thanksgiving night, when I placed a few other orders. I was apparently too full of turkey and merriment - I reached out to Thunder Power to ask why my PayPal wasn't processed - they have no record of the sale.

Anyway, I'm all-in with my Ritewing order, complete with the SS motor, etc., and am looking for 5S battery options. I cannot find anything out there that is similar to the TP packs, and I refuse to pay $260 for a single 5S 7800 pack. I would greatly appreciate any leads. Seems that neither HK, Pulse, GensAce, and ReadyMade have anything similar (weight & capacity wise) to the Thunder Power 5S 7800mAh 25C 900g packs.

ginger1302
7th December 2015, 02:57 PM
I just went with the zippy batteries. 4000 mah 5s for 33 dollars. They are about 500 grams each but I just can't see spending that much more for a battery that weighs just a little less.

ginger1302
7th December 2015, 03:00 PM
Lol sorry 486grams not that I have changed cable ends and added velcro.

Håvard Støre
7th December 2015, 04:14 PM
I imagine the weight as I hold her by the neck right before launch. The subtle forward sweep of her broad wings reaching for the sky. Oh Drak!

Hoss
7th December 2015, 04:18 PM
Listen to this poetic mah fahka

ginger1302
7th December 2015, 04:36 PM
Lol everything I build for fpv is like crafting another body for myself. I love how I forget that Im not actually flying thru the sky. There should be a greater push to get the physically disabled into this hobby so they can feel that freedom that they lost.

LVSloper
8th December 2015, 11:14 AM
@WillM, I would not have bought the TP lipos if it was not for the BOGO15 sale either; TP may have a Christmas special so keep an eye out and be sure to be on their email list. Anyway, here is a local dealer in Vegas - Mark Ferreira who has started his own Lipo business. The guys locally who have used his lipos for quad racing seem to really like their performance and from what I here the lipos a lighter. http://dinogylipos.com/

fireflyer451
8th December 2015, 01:58 PM
Where is that ship?!
http://www.marinetraffic.com

Shifteer
8th December 2015, 03:30 PM
Last night I came home and there was a huge box waiting at my door. My heart dropped and I thought for an exciting minute that the Drak had come in for Christmas. Then I realized that it was just my stupid new ground station tripod. Never been so bummed out to open up a hot new piece of kit!

Håvard Støre
8th December 2015, 09:30 PM
Yeah! I got my two large tubes of goop today. Not exactly exciting, but quite essential. I to was a bit bummed because I thought it was the SS motor and esc.

vitaminz
9th December 2015, 02:42 AM
"GAVE" it to him :)

Lol Justin, no need call out who gets all the deals ;-)

kross1
9th December 2015, 08:47 AM
Where is that ship?!
http://www.marinetraffic.com

*WHICH* is that ship? Cool website.

Any updates or info, Chris? It would be fun to be able to "track-that-ship" like we do with UPS/FedEX/USPS, etc.

ritewing
9th December 2015, 09:49 AM
I was told the shedual was to have it to my shop by the 15th or 16th. I will keep you updated as I hear more. I am as excited as you guys.

Tomstoy
9th December 2015, 10:12 AM
Now, that is good news!

ritewing
9th December 2015, 10:25 AM
Soon guys, soon!

WillM
9th December 2015, 12:38 PM
@LVSloper - Thanks for the info!

Shifteer
9th December 2015, 05:38 PM
Christmas! Christmas!

livesimply
9th December 2015, 06:01 PM
Soon guys, soon!
Chris- Any chance you can divulge where we can pick up those 8400mah 5s you are using?

WillM
10th December 2015, 12:40 PM
+1 on the battery request!

Also, what are recommended servos?
Hitech HS-225MG (31g, metal gear)
Hitech HS-5485HB ? (45g, karbonite gear)

epic4me
10th December 2015, 02:23 PM
Need big servos

Lenin
10th December 2015, 02:33 PM
I'll use graupner des 708bb mg. Maybe too big?

fireflyer451
10th December 2015, 02:53 PM
I was planning for either HiTec 225MG or 645MG.

Chris, what do you suggest?

Håvard Støre
10th December 2015, 03:33 PM
I bought the Hitech HS-225MG (31g, metal gear). If Chris thinks this is to weak I will go for larger ones.

ritewing
10th December 2015, 03:36 PM
Yes they are too small

ritewing
10th December 2015, 03:38 PM
I suggest a standard size servo , the pocket is made for them. Get something that weighs between 40 and 60 grams. something that is durable reliable and Center well. It does not have to be very fast, that gives you jerky control. Get something in about 0.10 speed all the way up to 0.18 in speed. I would get something with over 70 inch ounces of torque. I use digital servos due to their center holding capability. there's a few analogs that might work ok. but do your research

HFMan
10th December 2015, 03:44 PM
I think I'll go with Hitec HS-625MG= 55g, 76 inch oz torque. Running Hitec on all my wings, very happy with them.

Håvard Støre
10th December 2015, 03:44 PM
I also have a couple of these from my old antenna tracker.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=505_508&products_id=165

Are they ok?

ritewing
10th December 2015, 03:45 PM
I think I'll go with Hitec HS-625MG= 55g, 76 inch oz torque. Running Hitec on all my wings, very happy with them.
Perfect

ritewing
10th December 2015, 03:47 PM
I also have a couple of these from my old antenna tracker.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=505_508&products_id=165
Those will work fine, a tad slow but will make a very smooth flyer

Hmerly
10th December 2015, 05:47 PM
How about the servos you use to sell with the Z3?

ritewing
10th December 2015, 05:58 PM
Too small

Maj.Duty
10th December 2015, 07:40 PM
I heard analog servos are desirable due to some digital servos emitting bad RF near frequencies that we use and others are suceptable to UHF frequencies and 1.3ghz frequencies which can make them chatter and go haywire with a tx near them.

I imagine many will say they have used digital with no problem. It is just something to consider

kross1
10th December 2015, 07:42 PM
Chris-

Will you be stocking any servos, or should we look elsewhere?

Pushjerk
10th December 2015, 07:46 PM
Well, alrighty then. Anyone wanna buy a couple NIB HS 225MGs?

ritewing
10th December 2015, 08:07 PM
I have ritewing Digital Drak servos, I always use digital and never had an issue with any of my flight controllers or video transmitters . I have the servos in stock, they are Evil like The Drak ! http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/10/cdfa3ecabb6e5f14b1829bc29c34cf31.jpg

kross1
10th December 2015, 08:13 PM
$how-much-per$?

ritewing
10th December 2015, 08:16 PM
Email me all one word. r itewing@hotmail.com

Maj.Duty
10th December 2015, 08:17 PM
Ha! Draken 666. Nice. Play some Iron Maiden on the maiden

ritewing
10th December 2015, 08:19 PM
Sorry I couldn't help it when my servo supplier ask me how I wanted to label it

Pushjerk
10th December 2015, 08:47 PM
I heard analog servos are desirable due to some digital servos emitting bad RF near frequencies that we use and others are suceptable to UHF frequencies and 1.3ghz frequencies which can make them chatter and go haywire with a tx near them.

I imagine many will say they have used digital with no problem. It is just something to consider

I have ritewing Digital Drak servos, I always use digital and never had an issue with any of my flight controllers or video transmitters .

Yeah, man. Let's settle this thing once and for all. I have one HS5645MG Digital, would just have to pick up one more.

ritewing
10th December 2015, 08:56 PM
Yeah, man. Let's settle this thing once and for all. I have one HS5645MG Digital, would just have to pick up one more.
Just buy one more. They should work fine

ritewing
10th December 2015, 09:00 PM
My servos are pretty good they do what they need to do they center nicely and I always find them to be pretty dam reliable, I can't guarantee anything made in China 150%. But I've had really good luck with them and you're more than welcome to get some from me. I will dig out the specs tomorrow, I don't know them perfectly offhand. it's just a servo that I've had really good luck with for a while. I have had more high tec servos fail on me then I have had these

Pushjerk
10th December 2015, 09:08 PM
When able, I'll run a scan with my DL and check out the noise of Analog vs Digital. I'm anxious to see the results.

Håvard Støre
10th December 2015, 09:33 PM
I had a great deal of servo twitching on my HS225mgs in my Z3 from the fox800 vtx. The twitching almost disappeared when I added ferrite rings to the servo wires. How do digital servos compare regarding interference issues from vtx?

Hoss
10th December 2015, 10:09 PM
When able, I'll run a scan with my DL and check out the noise of Analog vs Digital. I'm anxious to see the results.
The dragon link is only going to tell you if the servo is putting out uhf noise between 427 - 437 MHz. Unlikely, but as always with stuff like this I'm curious to see what you find. Make sure you touch the antenna of the receiver directly to the servo and wires to find spikes, both when still and when moving.

rank
11th December 2015, 12:34 AM
Same story with the famous Emax servos and Fox 800, but, I added the ferrite ring on the receiver's wire instead and twitching is completely gone

rank
11th December 2015, 12:34 AM
Double post, delete please

oleg_t
11th December 2015, 12:51 AM
Use ferrite to reduce "noise" on the wires caused by some devices, mostly equipped by switching power regulators and use shielding to protect wires from the external electromagnetic interference. Servo jitter will disappear in most cases.

ritewing
11th December 2015, 02:22 AM
Ritewing Drakken servo Spec.

Digital.

Speed at 4.8 v is 0.19 , at 6v its 0.16
Tork at 4.8 v is 155 in oz at 6 v its 186 in oz

53 grams in weight, gears are MG
Dual ball bearing .

They are a little overkill but work great.

I have them paired with HD nylon plastic horns, not the brittle cheap plastic horns.
They work great with the Ball links that comes in the Draks cf rod horn set.

They are a standard size

oleg_t
11th December 2015, 02:37 AM
Just to clarify - these are the servos I'll get with my Drak kit, right?

ritewing
11th December 2015, 02:38 AM
Yes if you order them from me

oleg_t
11th December 2015, 02:56 AM
Yep, cool - thank you

jdjeff
11th December 2015, 08:55 AM
Yes if you order them from me

My pre-order of the elite version of the Drak kit was done at Stoneblue (Jeremiah). My understanding was this was going to be the identical kits whether we pre-order through him or you. Is this still the case? Where will these kits be on the priority list?

Tomstoy
11th December 2015, 05:43 PM
So Chris, how is the GoPro nose cover coming along? I'm definitely going to want one.
What about another build vid?

Pardon me, just looking for something to fill the time. I can only stare at all these parts, glue and paint I got on display awaiting my Drak for so long.
Love the servo's.

WillM
11th December 2015, 11:02 PM
I have ritewing Digital Drak servos, I always use digital and never had an issue with any of my flight controllers or video transmitters . I have the servos in stock, they are Evil like The Drak ! http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/10/cdfa3ecabb6e5f14b1829bc29c34cf31.jpg

Ha! "Release the Draken!!"

I just checked my order to find that I included servos/horns/motor/ESC in my Drak order. Thanks for the servo info!

Hitech servos are relatively quiet on the 433 band. In comparison, BlueBird servos spew out a ton of noise, according to my RF explorer.

xmimx
13th December 2015, 12:31 PM
Chris,

As it is not possible to seach in the thread for the moment (looks like there are some backend issue on the forum), could you tell us again what battery rating we need if using the SS motor. 20C, 30C, 40C?

I'm looking at the moment at the Ziyppy Flightmax 5S 5000mAh 40C but wondering if 20C is not enough even for mixed flights?

epic4me
13th December 2015, 12:34 PM
If you like acrobatics go the highest C you can find...

Håvard Støre
13th December 2015, 12:47 PM
In an ideal world 20 equals 100A. 40 equals 200A. In real life the batteries will overheat at this high amp draw.

For good measure you can say that 20 equals 50A continuous. and 40c equals 100A. In other words you need 40c for prolonged high speed flying.

Hoss
13th December 2015, 12:51 PM
Chris,

As it is not possible to seach in the thread for the moment (looks like there are some backend issue on the forum), could you tell us again what battery rating we need if using the SS motor. 20C, 30C, 40C?

I'm looking at the moment at the Ziyppy Flightmax 5S 5000mAh 40C but wondering if 20C is not enough even for mixed flights?
Theoretically, a 20c 5000 should provide you with 100A - rated. I think Chris said this motor should top out under, or very close to 50A. Because the price difference is small and the ratings of cheaper batteries may not be incredibly accurate, I might go 35c, but probably wouldn't go above that as 1) it's not necessary as you'll be pulling nowhere near those amps under any condition, and 2) the higher the c, the heavier the battery and the shorter (I've heard) the life. And the more expensive...

Håvard Støre
13th December 2015, 12:56 PM
I wasn't aware the SS pulled such low Amp. I guess 20C might be enough then.

ritewing
13th December 2015, 12:59 PM
All you need is a solid 20 c, it only pulls 55 to 60 amps WO. High c bats are much heavier. Good true 20 bats should easily do the job in all your flying styles. If they are getting hot they are not a true 20 c

Hoss
13th December 2015, 01:06 PM
In an ideal world 20 equals 100A. 40 equals 200A. In real life the batteries will overheat at this high amp draw.

For good measure you can say that 20 equals 50A continuous. and 40c equals 100A. In other words you need 40c for prolonged high speed flying.
Yeah, I've got some 8000's that are "rated" for 240A. If I attempted to put 240A through them, they would collapse, explode and create a black hole. Maybe a magnetar... 10,000's might create a black hole.

Håvard Støre
13th December 2015, 01:11 PM
That would totally ruin our reputation as responsible hobbyists.

xmimx
13th December 2015, 03:42 PM
thx guys. going for a solid 20C in that case. now just need the plane :)

kross1
13th December 2015, 05:34 PM
thx guys. going for a solid 20C in that case. now just need the plane :)

OUCH!

Chris, did that poke in the ribs hurt?

ritewing
13th December 2015, 05:39 PM
Nope I'm at work right now working on the nose pieces. I have been 7 days a week for quite some time. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/13/e44d726c981ed88cac041ace84de91a9.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/13/b2849771448a4dba96f58d7baf49ceed.jpg

Hoss
13th December 2015, 05:41 PM
I love the toaster oven. What works, works.

livesimply
13th December 2015, 06:10 PM
How do I go about adding one of these bad boys to my existing order?

ritewing
13th December 2015, 06:13 PM
Email me buddy ritewing @ hotmail.com all one word

Tomstoy
13th December 2015, 07:10 PM
Chris, my kit is thru StoneBlue, do I order one from him or direct from you?

ritewing
13th December 2015, 07:31 PM
Either way you can get it through me and I can send it direct, is it USA shipping? I'm going to be drop shipping their orders anyways.

ritewing
13th December 2015, 07:39 PM
On the nose pieces , I will drill the holes in for the cameras and I will send you the nose pieces peeped like this , it will allow you to make your nose piece whatever shape you want. all you need to do is take a nice pair of sharp scissors and trim it to fit the way you want it to look . I made them a few different ways and I like both of them.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/13/d654424a7abbd62477153d3329035de6.jpg and you have the capability of making them like this or any other shape you might want to make it with the material that's available.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/13/b8d6bbfca0c079b914a7cadc6ccd1384.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/13/dc0412c58de65ac0f9116c920697427f.jpgor like this, I figure most of you guys are builders and you would like to have the freedom to make it the shape do you like.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/13/f2e12245c7b77876279c94c301d07b31.jpg I have been using scissors that are along the lines of this to trim it and they do a really nice job , either type work really nice, the trick is start trimming slowly and work your way down to the shape you like, don't try to trim it to the perfect shape on the first slice http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/13/45f3b6a6c23d9b5462f73a56e0ffff2b.jpg

ginger1302
13th December 2015, 11:21 PM
I ran one of the SS motors on my current meter and it topped out at 56 amps on 5s.

ritewing
13th December 2015, 11:24 PM
Is that the new Drak one on a 11/7?

ginger1302
13th December 2015, 11:28 PM
Yes it was so pretty much right where you said. That was just having it held down on another frame seeing how much it would pull.

ritewing
13th December 2015, 11:30 PM
Perfect !! that is exactly where I have seen it. How do you like the motor and it's mods?

Hmerly
14th December 2015, 12:20 AM
Chris
Think ill be able to just cut a slit in the nose and slide the regular drak motor mount in and then attach the motor to convert this into a tractor setup?

ginger1302
14th December 2015, 12:22 AM
Seems plenty powerful. Im glad I chose it for my other project. Once the Drak shows up I am going to try and finish it before next semester. Then I can have it out at our booth for club day to draw in more people to our club.

ritewing
14th December 2015, 12:22 AM
It can be done

Hmerly
14th December 2015, 12:24 AM
The nose is same width as the mount right?

ritewing
14th December 2015, 01:05 AM
Yes the nose is slightly wider like the tail is. If you want to do the research I will modify the nose for you so the motor mount will mount right in, you will just have to mount it like you do the rear and do a little bit of cutting where the motor bracket slides onto the plate

Hmerly
14th December 2015, 01:31 AM
Yes, I would love it if you could do that for me. I may end up having to order another kit from you ....

Shifteer
14th December 2015, 11:55 AM
Are those nose pieces coming in the kit, or do they have to be ordered separately? I had ordered a Z3 mobius mount in my original order, but this is way better!

ritewing
14th December 2015, 12:08 PM
If you ordered that the Z3 mount then you will get this low profile nose cowling

Hobaoe
14th December 2015, 01:26 PM
i did a test on how much plasti dip weigh,,
i sprayed a entire can (400ml) on a plastic sheet, and it was only 35 grams. so that is very light.

how much did you use chris? im planing on spraying the entire plane.

Håvard Støre
14th December 2015, 03:48 PM
For me its a huge advantage to be able to buy a motor that is so well rounded for the purpose. The extra long shaft for cleaner air and how it easily dissasembles for maintenance is very well thought out. Also it looks and feels badass. When I first held it in my hand I couldn't stop smiling. I definitely prefer this solution over sourcing the motor myself.

I will remove some heat shrink from the esc and glue on a small heat sink with thermal epoxy just for good measure. I bought the thermal epoxy for my fox800 vtx, so I thought I should do the esc at the same time. I trust its not necessary, but I will do it anyway.

ritewing
14th December 2015, 03:52 PM
Nice,,, this was my exact goal, thnx for seeing what I was trying to achieve. I have tons of time into getting the these aspects worked out with the MFG.
For me its a huge advantage to be able to buy a motor that is so well rounded for the purpose. The extra long shaft for cleaner air and how it easily dissasembles for maintenance is very well thought out. Also it looks and feels badass. When I first held it in my hand I couldn't stop smiling. I definitely prefer this solution over sourcing the motor myself.

I will remove some heat shrink from the esc and glue on a small heat sink with thermal epoxy just for good measure. I bought the thermal epoxy for my fox800 vtx, so I thought I should do the esc at the same time. I trust its not necessary, but I will do it anyway.

Shifteer
14th December 2015, 04:20 PM
Great news on the camera mount replacement. Thanks Ritewing!

Hoss
14th December 2015, 04:22 PM
Hey kids, don't forget to register your Drak (and anything else capable of autonomous flight) with the government! EDIT: If it requires a transmitter to fly, it needs to be registered - that's everybody, not just fpv'ers. Registration opens next Monday and is mandatory by Feb 19th. I wonder where the best spot to put our government stickers is on the Drak. If it had an ass, I'd stick it on there. Maybe I'll paint one for that purpose.

With some of the stuff I've seen lately, (crashing quads into the U.S. open stands from outside, and others that I don't care to go into detail about as this is off topic enough (sorry!), I don't blame them. We can thank the manufacturers that make "out of the box flying without so much as a battery charge" for this and what's to come. There are seldom instances of total reckless (or at least a reduced chance) flying by hobbyists that have spent tens of hours and thousands of dollars on a rig. It's the dji of them that produce the attention imo. Sorry for the massive diversion. At least it's something that affects us all (well, in the states anyway).

In celebration, here's a video of a jackass flying sub 300 feet and then shitting himself and abruptly ripping back the stick when he noticed me right there. Surely he wondered how many more there were, but it was only me. You can see how much higher he was when I turn around to get a look at him after making a little dive myself. It just popped into the goggles out of seemingly nowhere. From Saturday: https://youtu.be/WG5KzxPRNns

HFMan
14th December 2015, 04:37 PM
I really wish we could keep the FAA chatter in the FAA threads folks... hate having it spill all over the place.

Hoss
14th December 2015, 04:56 PM
Chris, if you're in the shop (or when you are) can you post the dimensions of the front nose section - inside, please? Width and depth up to the lid of the narrow section?

Also, any chance you've got or can take open-lid pics of a loaded up one? Curious about your battery / gear placement to achieve cg.

Thanks man.

Hoss
14th December 2015, 05:07 PM
I really wish we could keep the FAA chatter in the FAA threads folks... hate having it spill all over the place.
I apologize for going off topic, as I also apologized in the post (although I posted it anyway, so that pretty much nullifies that :). But, in a small defense of going off topic, it is the one thing that affects just about every person in this thread and many other threads in this forum, and some may have not otherwise have heard about it (slim chance of fines, but hefty if you get one and there will be examples to set it in stone)

But, there is a place for it, and that place is not here, so sorry.

Edit, because I misinterpreted a very important point in my no-no post: if it requires a transmitter to fly, you must register. I said "if it can fly autonomously" thinking it only applied to fpv - nope. Even the 80 year old guy flying the nitro's whose never heard of fpv - he needs to register too. Now I'm done.

Håvard Støre
14th December 2015, 06:29 PM
Also, any chance you've got or can take open-lid pics of a loaded up one? Curious about your battery / gear placement to achieve cg.
Thanks man.
Yeah! I second that. Let us please see inside the belly of the beast. Curious about gear placement.

Hoss........ You are pardoned:p Cant find a pope smilie.:rolleyes:

johansson939
14th December 2015, 09:53 PM
Are there gonna be some more details about the build? Like example on how much throw/angle on the rudders/ailerons/
flaps? Or what is the english word for it?
Or is it to every user to try it out for themself?

ritewing
15th December 2015, 12:39 AM
Yes and a preflight trim jig

ritewing
15th December 2015, 01:21 AM
Hoss, thnx for editing these up for us.

I will start up a build thread soon with all of these linked in there.
Enjoy guys, hope this is ok, no fluff and its a lot of info in a fast pace.

Process of sparring, laminating and hinging as well as installation of control rods / horns and velcro straps.

Prep and Sparring: https://youtu.be/esP-_EN9Mio

Laminating: https://youtu.be/esP-_EN9Mio?t=3m19s

Hinging: https://youtu.be/esP-_EN9Mio?t=15m50s

Control Rod Install: https://youtu.be/esP-_EN9Mio?t=31m8s

Control Horns: https://youtu.be/esP-_EN9Mio?t=34m19s

Wing Velcro Strap: https://youtu.be/esP-_EN9Mio?t=38m37s

Hmerly
15th December 2015, 02:16 AM
Heh, I just realized I watched through the whole video in one sitting and was not bored or even thought about fast forwarding through any section. Always appreciate these videos Chris.

lbz34
15th December 2015, 03:25 AM
Getting close!!!!!

Hoss
15th December 2015, 11:30 PM
So Chris, can you throw the dimensions of the inside nose bay out there and possibly some pics of a ready to fly one? Battery strapped in, like you're about to launch? I and some others would really appreciate it man if you get the time. Thanks.

Tomstoy
15th December 2015, 11:32 PM
With luck, when Chris gets in, in, the morning, there will be a semi parked in his parking spot!

Ooohhhhh baby, baby!

kross1
16th December 2015, 12:11 AM
To quote SNL, "Wayne's World": schwinnnggg!!!!!

LVSloper
16th December 2015, 11:03 AM
I am so ready to get my Drak and get to building; the weather has been crap here in Vegas. I am almost tempted to make the five hour drive to Chris' shop in order to get this in my hot little hands. :)

Tomstoy
17th December 2015, 12:14 AM
Well, Chris, so tell us, did you find a semi trailer with a bow tied around it in the parking lot when you came in today?

Tomstoy
18th December 2015, 07:19 PM
In my minds eye, I envision poor Chris sweating is brow off packing kits, checking labels and generally running around annoying the hell out of everybody with his whip cracking, all the time grinning like a Cheshire cat!
If you do get a break and check in, please give us a little update. No pushing you or anything. Just it's been extremely nice how up front you have been thru this whole ordeal, and I think it's important to praise you on this effort. I know of no other company who has walked their customers thru the development of a new plane the way you have. Most are so closed mouthed about it. Avant immediately springs to mind.

Keep it up, give us an update if you don't wear yourself to a frazzle.
And, by the way, congratulation's on such a milestone accomplishment!

Hmerly
18th December 2015, 07:24 PM
He said shipments may start next week. Everything was suppose to arrive yesterday or today. His silence probably means good news.

ritewing
18th December 2015, 07:31 PM
Yahooooo! Okay guys, just got done unloading the truck, now I will be setting up an assembly line over the weekend and packing parts so all the kits can be packed up with other components, there's a lot of foam pieces that go into this kit ,everything has to be counted categorized bagged and put in each one . I also have been working on all the residual components here like the carbon the fiberglass the motors the speed controls the control rods and excetra, I have been making good progress, and if I can get a bunch of the stuff pre packed these kits will go out smooth . I appreciate all the support and the patience guys, I need a little more patience now have them here. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I just need to get this organized and out to you . I will get it all out as soon as I can. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/18/31e9076590a254b7b63892d0c04f611a.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/18/6c7b272459b9c583e0f09af9af391e8b.jpg

kross1
18th December 2015, 07:31 PM
"In my minds eye, I envision poor Chris sweating is brow off packing kits, checking labels and generally running around annoying the hell out of everybody with his whip cracking, all the time grinning like a Cheshire cat!"

Santa?

kross1
18th December 2015, 07:33 PM
First to say: AWESOME, and THANK YOU!!!!

Marc Booth
18th December 2015, 07:43 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/18/d4eb2206af1e4295c7d255604c556d20.jpg

Me for the next couple of weeks!

ritewing
18th December 2015, 07:48 PM
I also haven't been taking anymore preorders, I've been directing people towards the vendors so I can make sure I take care of all you guys

Tomstoy
18th December 2015, 08:04 PM
You're the man, Chris!!!

I would like to extend an invitation to you to come out and join our little fpv meet we have in Hartsel, Colorado sometime around late June, ( traditionally ). I know of at least 3 Drak's that will be there! If you could make it, we would love to have you join us.

ritewing
18th December 2015, 08:05 PM
Hey Tom, I might just have to do that

hjscm
18th December 2015, 08:36 PM
wish i lived closer to come out and help you pack them up. then just drive home with mine. awesome job thanks for all you do.

LVSloper
18th December 2015, 09:47 PM
Its going to be a good start to the new year! I hope my Drak arrives while I am on Christmas vacation; ready to rock n roll on this build. :)

Tomstoy
18th December 2015, 09:58 PM
Personally, I'm not holding out for next week. Shipping company's are swamped then next few days. But, one can always dream!

Chris, I'll shoot you a reminder as we get closer.

kross1
18th December 2015, 10:08 PM
So how many DRAKS were in this shipment? Just curious, if you are willing to share.

Tomstoy
18th December 2015, 10:38 PM
I was just told today that the containers should be packed up by the 9th of November at the latest, 756 sets are coming this direction. They said possibly it could be done by the 7th but they told me the latest by the 9th. At that point they will immediately be shipped over via ocean to Houston. Offloaded and then reloaded into a large truck and shipped to Arizona. I think I will know more of a better date once the stuff is actually headed out to the dock in Europe

Here ya go. I imagine Chris is burning the candle at both ends right now. That's a lot of packing and labeling to do.
I know nothing about it, but I figure if you're efficient, maybe 15 minutes per kit? Anyway, you can see man hours stacking up quickly. It comes down then to how many people you throw at it.
Chris wants to get paid so I imagine he's even contemplating breaking a few child labor laws about now!

ginger1302
18th December 2015, 11:27 PM
The time depends. I bet he already had stuff sorted before they even showed up. Then stack up the invoices and just walk down the line throwing stuff in the boxes that each one needs. Im sure he will get organized and work it out. Hopefully he breaks the work up between all the people there and doesn't run himself into the ground. Im willing to wait an extra couple of days if it keeps him out of the crazy house.

oleg_t
19th December 2015, 06:30 AM
Great stuff! May the force be with you, Chris! Looks like you're on the final mile of this wonderful journey. Thanks a lot! - You are making a lot of passionate people happy!:) Keep it up!

Hoss
20th December 2015, 12:09 PM
A little off-topic entertainment to pass the time. One of the funniest moments I've had in fpv. Seriously considering developing a skill at doing it on purpose. I clip things pretty regularly, but this was a fun one.

https://youtu.be/9SSHUq7i9ZI