PDA

View Full Version : Drak 60" info and possible kick start thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Pushjerk
1st July 2015, 12:36 PM
Chris, While we at discussing Drak power systems, what stats are you seeing with the preferred motors? Will your ESC choice remain consistent with the Z3 system? 85A? Thanks.

Zeek, killer flying and great footage. Def one of the best accounts of the Drak I've seen yet. Held my balls pretty tight while you were skimming over that lake. Killer. The SH appeared to be struggling to hang.

ritewing
1st July 2015, 01:13 PM
So Far the 85 is well within range, its actually running cooler at the higher voltage.
The amp draw is less than 3s and 4s setups.
Chris, While we at discussing Drak power systems, what stats are you seeing with the preferred motors? Will your ESC choice remain consistent with the Z3 system? 85A? Thanks.

Zeek, killer flying and great footage. Def one of the best accounts of the Drak I've seen yet. Held my balls pretty tight while you were skimming over that lake. Killer. The SH appeared to be struggling to hang.

Shifteer
2nd July 2015, 02:41 PM
solo, i'm a huge baby when it comes to props, I've had my pinky tip sewn back on.

I launch similar to this, but
-right wing in right hand
-i stand backwards to where i'm throwing
-throw it at like 70 degrees with full throttle
-i'm also using a elevator mix to add a bunch of up.

I'll try to get a video next time i fly.

Wait, you throw it over your head right handed while holding TX in left hand? Scary. Or is it kind of a frisbee throw?

ezikiel12
2nd July 2015, 02:47 PM
It's how I do it. Perfect launch every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2_yltucF5Y

Shifteer
2nd July 2015, 04:32 PM
ach forearm so close to prop...

aaron_gx
2nd July 2015, 05:38 PM
ach forearm so close to prop...
My overhand throw puts much more distance between me and prop.

(forgive my lack of example with the Drak, this is launching a Chimera the same way)

https://vimeo.com/90190363

Faffer
7th July 2015, 07:36 AM
So Far the 85 is well within range, its actually running cooler at the higher voltage.
The amp draw is less than 3s and 4s setups.

This is what I like to see .. lots of testing to get things perfect and then all the hard work ready for us to enjoy and see all your hard work in the sky and enjoying it.

Looking forward to the end results .. will you be selling any lipo packs ? and if so what price.

Richard

Maj.Duty
8th July 2015, 02:57 PM
I have only the airframe on order too so it will be nice if near release date I/we can add an electronics order to boot.

Watching those latest videos it looks like there is an ever so slight waggle, still, sometimes. Ever so slight...

ezikiel12
8th July 2015, 02:59 PM
I have only the airframe on order too so it will be nice if near release date I/we can add an electronics order to boot.

Watching those latest videos it looks like there is an ever so slight waggle, still, sometimes. Ever so slight...
It's a 6-7 pound foam wing. That's what they do

Maj.Duty
8th July 2015, 03:02 PM
My point was it is barely detectable and a significant improvement from other designs. #PropsRitewing

ezikiel12
8th July 2015, 03:16 PM
My point was it is barely detectable and a significant improvement from other designs. #PropsRitewing
I've found the thing to be a bit squirrely in the yaw department at low speeds (as expected), but very stable otherwise. Not ideal for formation with slow planes. Still need to put more stick time on it to figure it out.

ritewing
8th July 2015, 04:06 PM
My guess there are a few factors, the high alt, its prety heavy and cg mite still need tuning.
Ezekiel is still tuning this beast, but as a small plane anything can be bumped around in a side draft and when things get heavy and they fly slow its common to see a little yaw on anything with elevons with no tail moment , its kinda par for the course for all small manned and un manned aircraft.

If we need a small stable parkflyer we can do that in the future, but I am not trying to achieve that here , whats crazy is the speed range this plane has stability through, its better than any other plane I have flown or seen, even at heavy weight!!

This last week we have been mapping with ours at 35 knots between 5 to 10 amps draw, if flys forever in this type of situation, and is still crazy efficient in fpv use of mixed throttle flying.
Easy to launch ,easy to land anywhere and just smooth as silk.

I've found the thing to be a bit squirrely in the yaw department at low speeds (as expected), but very stable otherwise. Not ideal for formation with slow planes. Still need to put more stick time on it to figure it out.

tarsson
10th July 2015, 03:50 AM
I recently watched a youtube clip about your workshop Nice and interesting , im a carpenter from Sweden or used to be now im disabeld since last year, but ive been doin simular work as you Guys, understundom that its timeconsuming and i wish i could help you or work there.....but now im just like cant.......thanks i got so emotionell.......

Faffer
10th July 2015, 05:55 AM
My guess there are a few factors, the high alt, its prety heavy and cg mite still need tuning.
Ezekiel is still tuning this beast, but as a small plane anything can be bumped around in a side draft and when things get heavy and they fly slow its common to see a little yaw on anything with elevons with no tail moment , its kinda par for the course for all small manned and un manned aircraft.

If we need a small stable parkflyer we can do that in the future, but I am not trying to achieve that here , whats crazy is the speed range this plane has stability through, its better than any other plane I have flown or seen, even at heavy weight!!

This last week we have been mapping with ours at 35 knots between 5 to 10 amps draw, if flys forever in this type of situation, and is still crazy efficient in fpv use of mixed throttle flying.
Easy to launch ,easy to land anywhere and just smooth as silk.

Hi Chris

Was that on the 5S setup you have or a new Test setup ...

Looking forward to this nice low amp setup and getting long flights

How close are we to the finished thing been ready ?

Richard

ritewing
10th July 2015, 02:14 PM
Yes Rich its 5s, I am working with my motor MFG to get this all adjusted and the motors to be built to my spec.
I am also working today with the molder and my CAD designer buddy, we need to to a few adjustments to the mold so the tooling would get done correctly, there were 5 small changes that need attention.

We are stuck on just one now, were waiting for a few answers.
We got mold quote price back, its more expensive than originally quoted, this is not slowing things down, but the price of the drak could be going up some soon.

So if you want a Drak, now is the time.

Mold order will be sorted and funded any day now.
Then the time line will be more set in stone and we can talk about dates with more of an accurate time window.

Thnx for the patience guys, this is a first ever project of this type.

Hi Chris

Was that on the 5S setup you have or a new Test setup ...

Looking forward to this nice low amp setup and getting long flights

How close are we to the finished thing been ready ?

Richard

kross1
15th July 2015, 11:03 PM
*POKE POKE*

Been a bit quite in here....

Any thoughts Chris as to whether you might stock the recommended props/batteries/servos for the Drak?

ritewing
16th July 2015, 12:50 AM
Hi Kross, I do have an awesome update.

Last Friday we got a notice of a few changes the tool maker wanted done to the drawings so the mold will separate correctly.
Those were completed fast track and re submitted on Monday.
Today we got the OK that drawings looked great, so THE MOLD WAS ORDERED TODAY!!!

YaHOOOOOOOOOO!

The cost of the mold is 9k more than previously estimated .
So adding the cam pocket and plugs and a few other tweaks took it higher in price.
We ended up with 3 separate mold cavities .

We should have a good time estimate once the tool maker gives us a place in his schedule to get the tool made.
We are most likely running a little behind, but we will not know for a few days.
Thnx for all the patience guys, yes bats , servos and parts will be available too.

I have some test packs of 5s 8400 and they are looking to be one of the candidates, I also have the motors just about nailed down.

All is looking great!

*POKE POKE*

Been a bit quite in here....

Any thoughts Chris as to whether you might stock the recommended props/batteries/servos for the Drak?

cmarkussen67
16th July 2015, 03:12 AM
Will that setup work well with a 6S batteries? Many people have 6S batteries from other applications but in my experience very few have 5S batteries on hand. Maybe only a different sized prop is all that is needed? Any comments?

Christian

hanschr
16th July 2015, 06:36 AM
Will that setup work well with a 6S batteries? Many people have 6S batteries from other applications but in my experience very few have 5S batteries on hand. Maybe only a different sized prop is all that is needed? Any comments?

Christian
That would be perfect. Maybe two 6s 3300mah in paralell or one 6s 6000-7000mah?

ritewing
16th July 2015, 02:02 PM
I have run up to 6s 6000 in it so far, its crazy efficient like the 5s,I have not gone heavier, the bats we run in 5s 8400 and the 6s have been 800 to 950 grams.

Do you think you guys would want to run 6s, if so I could get 6s specific kv on the order of my motors???

Lets see ???????????? Speak up!!!

I run 5s 8400 in mine and its a great setup, but if you have some 3s packs you want to series or some 6s packs un 7000 mah that could work well too.

That would be perfect. Maybe two 6s 3300mah in paralell or one 6s 6000-7000mah?

ezikiel12
16th July 2015, 02:22 PM
I might give a 6S pack a try on the 1300W 880kv tmotor I'm running

Shifteer
16th July 2015, 03:11 PM
Ugh 6s... pricey.

ritewing
16th July 2015, 03:40 PM
Since when is two 3s 5000 to 6000 pricey!
Just series them, they are the most common cheap large packs made. Guys were saying they mite like 6s because they have 3s series and 6s packs laying around that they could utilize.
Sounds like a good cheap option to me.

On 5s I use a 950 kv motor on 6s I use a 740 kv , both on a 11/7 , both are crazy efficient .

Ugh 6s... pricey.

OtherHand
16th July 2015, 05:08 PM
Ummmm....Any love for those of us heavily invested and living in a 4S world?

henkvdw
16th July 2015, 06:55 PM
I would vote for a 6S set-up to be available. I like the possible better efficiency and lower current benefits. Finding suitable motors for 6S seems to be a challenge a lot of the time though.
Have some 6S packs lying around and most other of my packs are 3S. Those are probably the most used configs I would guess with 4S maybe included there.

kross1
16th July 2015, 09:55 PM
I vote 6S, if the 3S in series (or series and parallel, 4 packs) will work.

Lots (8) of 3S 2200 mAh 20C packs
Lots (4) of 3S 5000 mAh 25C packs

2 packs in series (6S) works for me, if weight/room allow 2 of these in parallel (4 packs total) for more power.

gobigdale
16th July 2015, 11:01 PM
I like the 6S idea.

ritewing
16th July 2015, 11:46 PM
Sweet guys, that's what I like to hear

5 and 6s seem about the same efficiency, 4s seems not too efficient so far.
So I will see about the two different kv ranges for these two cell counts of 5s 6s.
Eziekiel let me know how your 6s test go, you mite take the prop down a tad in diam.

cmarkussen67
17th July 2015, 05:04 AM
Glad to hear that others like the 6S idea as well. I have 6S packs available from other applications but have no 5S setups so I have no interest in buying 5S batteries.

Christian

Maj.Duty
17th July 2015, 12:40 PM
Do you think you guys would want to run 6s, if so I could get 6s specific kv on the order of my motors???

Lets see ???????????? Speak up!!!

I too have 6S packs but no 5S. I wasn't going to mind having to invest in 5S for this model but if there is a 6S option I'd probably go with that to be able to use my 4000mAh packs in parallel or pick up some big 3S packs and run them in series.

Really all I want is to run whatever setup up works best and if that is 5S then so be it but if we are taking votes then, 6S

Majki
17th July 2015, 12:43 PM
Really all I want is to run whatever setup up works best and if that is 5S then so be it but if we are taking votes then, 6S
+ 1

ritewing
17th July 2015, 12:45 PM
That's exactly what I'm trying to do, by this success what not, I have a few more tests to do to compare the both and whatever works out will be my go to cell count, I'm going to try to carry a motor that will do both but it possibly might be two separate motors depending on the efficiency levels. I will keep you guys in the loop.

kross1
17th July 2015, 12:47 PM
:D (Guess my *POKE POKE* worked?) :D

ritewing
17th July 2015, 12:52 PM
The poke poke came at the right time, I've been very busy with getting this thing rolling.
I am staying on top of the changes that need to be made to get the mold produced.

The mold is ordered, and we should have a schedule here pretty quick.

We are at the mercy of the tool maker at this point and his schedule. As soon as I hear anything I will announce it. After all these efforts its nice to see it is going to be made by a company who want to really have this done in their factory.

Hobaoe
17th July 2015, 04:43 PM
chris,,
if i ordered after august (second batch?) will there be some waiting time? weeks, months?
and how much are you gonna raise the price after? more than 100 bucks?

ritewing
17th July 2015, 04:50 PM
The price after pre irder is still yet to be determined, and as far as waiting time everybody else that orders prior are going to get taken care of first. I'm still waiting to hear back on schedule of when the actual first samples will be here in the mold will be done and ready to run

Faffer
17th July 2015, 06:34 PM
6s sound good to me :-)
Could even then try the hobby king green ones for a cheap lipo ?

Captain crash
18th July 2015, 05:19 PM
I have 4000mah 6s batts for my long range discovery quad but they are 10C, will they be OK for the Drak? I am happy either way though and would buy 5s from Chris if they are tried and tested. Any idea on price of the 5s batts Chris?

gobigdale
18th July 2015, 11:53 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/18/13f1b6701cf17a33b0ef23c82af7ef41.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/18/87292b2491b0e52af6ad0d489ea678cb.jpg

Pushjerk
19th July 2015, 03:30 PM
^What a Sexy Beast!

xmimx
19th July 2015, 05:20 PM
Well, I'm in. Pre ordered 2 of them :)

Pushjerk
19th July 2015, 05:48 PM
Isn't it time we merged the two Drak threads?

gobigdale
19th July 2015, 08:30 PM
^What a Sexy Beast!

It's the socks, right?

ezikiel12
19th July 2015, 08:31 PM
Guys he's married, don't you see the ring?!?

call me. lol

kross1
19th July 2015, 08:33 PM
New signature for BigDale!

gobigdale
19th July 2015, 08:38 PM
You guys just want me for my planes...

xmimx
20th July 2015, 11:57 PM
I'm more into the 4S such as we saw it in the different kikckstarter vid's

OtherHand
21st July 2015, 12:26 AM
Yeah, I'm staying with my large pile of 4S and not drinking the 6S Kool-Aide. With either 4S or 6S the prop still has to turn the same RPM. The difference is 4S just uses more current to do so. And more current means more loss due to heat. But I've looked at the numbers closely and I'm convinced that for most cases the power loss due to heat is very minor compared to the power used to turn the prop at normal cruise (Sorta like the MPG difference in your car when you run the air conditioner). Sure, you can use smaller wiring and smaller ESCs, but not many people get that crazed for a fixed wing. Multicopters, maybe, where weight really matters.

I am disappointed that it looks like Ritewing will only be offering a 5S or 6S power solution. I would have preferred to order from them. Now I'll have to work out my own 4S setup.

Hobaoe
21st July 2015, 04:22 AM
dude, we all want the best most efficient setup for the drak. so if 5 and 6s is the way to go, so be it.

Im in for 5-6s:)

StoneBlueAirlines
21st July 2015, 08:39 AM
I am only running 4s on our rig that is the way to go. I might even do a production run on a special battery pack for guys that get this wing and dont want to double up on two 5200 4s packs.

ritewing
21st July 2015, 10:53 AM
What's nice with this plane is you can run what you want. If you do not want to benefit from all my testing to get the best most powerful efficient combo, then that is your choice. I have had multiple issue s with 4s. To get good performance on 4s your climbing out at takeoff at 75 to 85 amps or more.

I have managed to demag or flung magnets on just about every brand of 28 mm motors that we run 4s on . If that does not happen and its not the motor, then it's the esc smoking because it pulling over 85 amps.

I did not have these issues up till about May, but once I got very comfortable with the plane and it got much more warm outside .
I have spent the last two months testing to find very efficient reliable drive train combos.

Mind you I do run it very very hard just to see how hard I can push it.
The 5 an 6s setups cruise at 1/2 the amps and climb out at 25 to 30 amps less, and I have yet to have these same issues on 5 and 6s

This plane is a tad larger than most planes we run on 28 mm motors ,so are the props , so it makes sense to size up the drive train to handle the larger motors and props .

I have a few of the larger motors that will do 4s and wont blow the motors, but you need a 100 amp esc,but why would I want to run motors that pull 30 amps more wide open and cruise at 10 to15 amps than a 5s or 6s setup.

I am just trying to find the best setup for all around efficient powerful results.

kross1
21st July 2015, 11:56 AM
^^ AMEN ^^

serac
21st July 2015, 12:21 PM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but why not increase the size of the motor and increase the voltage? If heat is an issue, then a bigger motor and more voltage will help.

If you are pulling 85 or so Amps climbing out on 4s, that is around 1300 Watts of power. That same amount of power on an 8s system will pull 43 Amps. And a motor capable of handling 8s will be bigger (41 m?) and better able to handle the heat.

Is the only issue with a bigger motor the weight?

ritewing
21st July 2015, 12:27 PM
That's what I am doing , slightly larger diam motors, higher voltage

HFMan
21st July 2015, 01:42 PM
Wow Chris... you're making me nervous with the SS motor in my Z3. I run 10/6 props here in Colorado, and launch is pulling 70+ amps. So you're saying this motor is likely to blow at any time with this setup? In flight, I'm generally running 12 amps, but will ramp it up to 40 amps to gain elevation quickly. Never at 70 amps for more than 10-15 seconds.

ritewing
21st July 2015, 02:00 PM
That plane is only 47 inches, and the prop is 10 inches, and you don't fly WO.

The SS 1300 motor was never intent for WO for extended periods, and it does not sound like your doing that. The ss 1300 was designated as a quick burst and as a crazy efficient cruiser, not a WO forever climb motor.
Remember we are talking Drak, if you put the ss 1300 kv on the Drak you would kill that motor.
Always remember , summer is hard on motors, they only have epoxy holding the magnets in, heat dissipates bad in the summer.

What I have found is the 2820 size motors which is only 5 mm larger than the ss1300 2815 , the 2820 1200 kv has given me issues here in AZ in the summer, not in the winter, only the summer.
Agx has had no issues with the prototype 2820 ss 1200 kv and neither has stone blue, but If I am then I am not running it here, so this means I am on the hunt for crazy robust combos.
Az is the place to prove things, the motors get to 180 f just sitting in the sun here, that's not even flying.
So if mags fail at 200 f then that's to close for me here.

I am taking advantage of the heat to do these test.

gobigdale
21st July 2015, 02:04 PM
:rolleyes:

HFMan
21st July 2015, 02:15 PM
Okay Chris. Amps is amps, and I was under the impression you did some original flight testing of the Drak with the SS 1300 motor- I was just trying to understand how many 70+ amp runs (or for how long) would blow the motor. Got it.. I'll keep doing what I'm doing, and shouldn't have any issues.

Shifteer
21st July 2015, 02:19 PM
Will i be OK on the SS 1300kv with a 10x7 on 4S?

gobigdale
21st July 2015, 02:25 PM
The two planes are different. The SS motor is too small for a plane like the Drak.

Here is a pic for comparison

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/21/e73583bea30e990704818d9db77084fb.jpg

ritewing
21st July 2015, 02:29 PM
The original testing was on a new ss 1200 2820 prototype with 11/7, it worked great for 6 months while the weather was cool.
The 47 uses a 2815 1300 on a 10/5 to 10/8, if you put a 11/7 on it you would smoke it.

As soon as it warmed up here the 2820 1200 motor on the Drak had issues, when it was cool it did not.
So at that point I started more research on more Drak combos, and have come up with some killer combo's.

You can not use the ss 1300 motor on the Drak , its too small.

AlyxAT
21st July 2015, 04:08 PM
Is there a release date already? Can't wait to get my hands on my Drak.

ritewing
21st July 2015, 04:37 PM
I paid to get the mold order started, they told me they would have a schedule to me possibly this next week.
The molder is at the mercy ,as am I of the guy makes the actual mold tool.
So he is supposed to give us a tentative schedule this week some time .

We worked the last few weeks to get the plane and its parts to nest in the mold correctly.
There were 5 adjustments that were done so the nesting of parts would work with the way the tool separated, they approved those drawings last week, they were minor changes on a few edges where there were under cuts. Some of the parts were drawn as if it nested another way, but the tool maker nested them a little different than we had planed.
It is moving forward.

It all depends on their schedule at this point, we busted butt to get it done ASAP.

Hmerly
21st July 2015, 05:04 PM
Glad to see this project move along. Looking forward to getting this plane. Hope my small contribution helps. ;)

ritewing
21st July 2015, 05:29 PM
It all helps buddy, if you guys did not it would not happen.
Glad to see this project move along. Looking forward to getting this plane. Hope my small contribution helps. ;)

Shifteer
21st July 2015, 07:36 PM
No I mean actually on the 47" spade. Given the discussion above it sounds like I might end up with a fire.

ritewing
21st July 2015, 08:04 PM
Why would it, we are not talking about the 47" here we are talking about the Drak, and totally different motor kv and sizes and props.
I also think your current sensor is off , I have never seen that combo you have on the 47 pull much more than 50 amps WO on 4s.

No I mean actually on the 47" spade. Given the discussion above it sounds like I might end up with a fire.

ezikiel12
21st July 2015, 09:34 PM
T-motor AT3520-5 880KV

Run this with an 11x8 on 5S at 6-8000 ft altitude and it's baller.

aaron_gx
21st July 2015, 11:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSVaphbk6d8
This thing is smoooooooooth.

Mcrock
22nd July 2015, 05:29 AM
Are you guys able to talk engine weights please as this is a huge help in getting to the correct engine size.. for the Drak .. it means I can do some research in regards to the Cobra line of engines. . Looking at a 5s setup and have found an engine that weighs in at 220 grams. Puts out some real good fiqures performance wise..

Also engine weights have a direct link to the payload area for correct balance.

M

Optical
22nd July 2015, 07:02 AM
Is a 4S setup possible - Motor and prop recommendations?

c5galaxy engineer
22nd July 2015, 08:16 AM
Is a 4S setup possible - Motor and prop recommendations?
Just read back two or three pages......it was all kinda just covered Optical.

ritewing
22nd July 2015, 11:59 AM
I do not think we will be using engines, I am not a fan of internal combustion on the Drak, we will have more info on the Electric motor sizes as we get closer.

I have been testing motor sizes in the 3515 and 3520 sizes on 11/7 prop

Are you guys able to talk engine weights please as this is a huge help in getting to the correct engine size.. for the Drak .. it means I can do some research in regards to the Cobra line of engines. . Looking at a 5s setup and have found an engine that weighs in at 220 grams. Puts out some real good fiqures performance wise..

Also engine weights have a direct link to the payload area for correct balance.

M

kross1
22nd July 2015, 12:32 PM
I do not think we will be using engines, I am not a fan of internal combustion on the Drak, we will have more info on the Electric motor sizes as we get closer.

I have been testing motor sizes in the 3515 and 3520 sizes on 11/7 prop

Ah, come on.... big block V8.....

ritewing
22nd July 2015, 12:33 PM
Lol

henkvdw
22nd July 2015, 01:21 PM
With piston deactivation for economy.

ezikiel12
22nd July 2015, 01:43 PM
Mine's a stick shift.

Tomstoy
22nd July 2015, 11:33 PM
So, when can we see a video of a canard flying?

Just love this plane! Can't wait until they ship!

ginger1302
24th July 2015, 06:08 PM
Well I put in my order a couple days ago. I will probably go back and throw on the ss motor combo for 6s as the guys at Ritewing have way more ability to try different setups than I do. Im looking forward to building and flying this plane. Any more videos or info is always a welcomed sight for me.

aaron_gx
26th July 2015, 12:47 AM
In the video I posted one page back, my friend video'd my hand launch take off, this is a 4s, 3150g drak. I think there is adequate thrust even with 4s. I cannot imagine how much fun the 5s setup will be.

ginger1302
26th July 2015, 01:01 PM
Nice video. Cant believe I didn't see it the first time thru the thread. I would like to do a 6s setup with whatever SS motor combo ritewing comes up with. I am a little bit jealous you are already flying yours around. I'll just have to make do with my mini hex for now.

ezikiel12
26th July 2015, 08:40 PM
Went up and Drakked the Rockies today. Standing at 12.6K feet.

http://i.imgur.com/SljoTlTh.jpg

serac
26th July 2015, 09:46 PM
Sweeeeeet! Loveland Pass? You better post the video soon...

ezikiel12
26th July 2015, 09:56 PM
Sweeeeeet! Loveland Pass? You better post the video soon...

Jones Pass

Very very windy, I'm editing a video as we speak. It'll at least show how it handles wind at high speeds/altitudes.

Tomstoy
26th July 2015, 10:08 PM
Exactly!

Ezikiel, you're killing me, man! Here you got a Drak, pump out those vids, bro! Seems like none of you guys have put up a video lately.

Would love to see a I'd of the canard flying.
Going to have to figure out programming for that. I'm just guessing you would slave another elevator channel, but would you want movement coordinate all the time or better to couple slight movement at large command input?
Or, would I really want them? Seems to fly just fine as is!
Perhaps, simple stupid is best.
Just looks wicked with the canards.
Can't help it,,, might just have to have sex with this machine!

Sure hope release date happens soon. Choosing colors is harder than I thought!

Pushjerk
26th July 2015, 10:15 PM
^Is there a paraphilia for mythical flying beasts?

ezikiel12
26th July 2015, 10:18 PM
Exactly!

Ezikiel, you're killing me, man! Here you got a Drak, pump out those vids, bro! Seems like none of you guys have put up a video lately.

Been out of town for a while.

ginger1302
27th July 2015, 10:20 PM
How fast are you getting in level flight?

Hoss
28th July 2015, 11:37 AM
Went up and Drakked the Rockies today. Standing at 12.6K feet.

http://i.imgur.com/SljoTlTh.jpg

Looking forward to the video. Been staring at maps scoping out that entire section of country - endless possibilities for amazing flying in every state out there. Just don't have that around here... Lots of places to fly if you're willing to search and take a chance at times, but nothing like the freedom of being able to just do as you please and have direct access to hundreds of miles of undeveloped and exceptionally beautiful land. Flying aside, just being able to stand and breathe in a place where you can see nothing but earth for as deep as the eye can penetrate is bliss for me. NJ is great and you can't beat the canvas of color in the fall or quick access to 2 major cities (one being the greatest city in existence;), but it can get real busy real quick if you stray too far in any direction. I'm rambling like a mofo, but I am in awe and shock that places like this exist... you forget the world you actually live in when you're in the grind too long. Needless to say, a trip to that part of the country with wings in hand is in my future for certain.

Enough mind wandering - sorry for rambling... It looks in the picture that the wing is actually swept forward very little (leading edge) - is that accurate or an illusion of the way you're holding it? Also, i'm always weary of control surfaces connected at extreme edges... do you see any detrimental effects because of this or do they handle nicely? From what I understand, they're balsa, so they should be pretty stiff throughout providing they've got some meat to them. I just worry of high g maneuvers and last minute pull-outs flexing the outer surface and losing some effect and control. I can't imagine them not being sufficient being from the manufacturer that they are produced by, but figured I'd ask someone who's actually flown it. I also take it you simply cut in the gopro and used no sort of mounting mechanism, correct?

Cant wait to hear they've shipped. I've got a clean table ready to lay down some craftiness on this thing.

Scott

Maj.Duty
28th July 2015, 01:28 PM
.....summer is hard on motors, they only have epoxy holding the magnets in, heat dissipates bad in the summer.

Az is the place to prove things, the motors get to 180 f just sitting in the sun here, that's not even flying.
So if mags fail at 200 f then that's to close for me here.

I am taking advantage of the heat to do these test.

I'm in the Sacramento valley where temperatures get over 100 every year so you have my support and hope for a robust motor solution. Not that I'll be flying in 100 degree heat but mid to high 90s is fairly common.

ezikiel12
28th July 2015, 10:35 PM
From our day up at Jones Pass. 20mph+ wind and 40% less air volume to put things into perspective. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU4xVZXYzAQ

Pushjerk
28th July 2015, 11:05 PM
Sick. That bird hauls ass with so much authority. I can't wait.

serac
28th July 2015, 11:26 PM
Fantastic location, fantastic platform!

You wouldn't happen to have the DVR footage, would you?

aaron_gx
28th July 2015, 11:40 PM
Woohoo ezikiel what a ride. Been loving the Jones pass vids from daemon since 07 with his ez glider. Despite the altitude, I dream of flying there someday.

Did you change your prop to deal with the air density?

aaron_gx
28th July 2015, 11:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSVaphbk6d8
This thing is smoooooooooth.
I have to clarify that the video is being shot by my buddy rccunuk's twinstar, who was following me in the drak. There was some confusion apparently elsewhere. It was showcasing the rock-solid stability of the drak.

ezikiel12
28th July 2015, 11:49 PM
Woohoo ezikiel what a ride. Been loving the Jones pass vids from daemon since 07 with his ez glider. Despite the altitude, I dream of flying there someday.

Did you change your prop to deal with the air density?

Nope, she does alright. Generally you can always bank on the fact there will be a solid wind, in this case there was enough wind it wanted to fly out of my hand lol.

aaron_gx
29th July 2015, 12:49 AM
I geared up to an 11x6 instead of the 11x7, only dropped 8A off static WOT, but seems much more responsive throttle wise. Take off was still easy, and I only seem to have lost a few km/h, I can't really tell a difference if any!

aaron_gx
29th July 2015, 12:55 AM
I geared up to an 11x6 instead of the 11x7, only dropped 8A off static WOT, but seems much more responsive throttle wise. Take off was still easy, and I only seem to have lost a few km/h, I can't really tell a difference if any!

And I use master airscrew props typically, I love the aggressive growl they make at WOT. Its Scarry :)

ritewing
29th July 2015, 01:29 AM
That is a Sick Vid!!!!!!!!!!

Maj.Duty
29th July 2015, 02:42 PM
The flyby at :26 was CLOSE!

ginger1302
29th July 2015, 02:49 PM
Kind of shows that it is not that hard to launch if you can launch it up there with no problems. The reduced density will give you a higher stall speed as well as a little reduced performance. That also means that when you come in to land it will need to have a higher landing speed. Being up that high will give you a little higher true air speed though so that is the advantage.

ritewing
30th July 2015, 06:41 PM
Hey everyone, I just got word this AM, the tool maker said he would have the tool done for the last week of Sept.We are at the mercy of his schedule, the actual molder told me today that if that happens then they will immediately send me samples for approval.

The run is scheduled will be done late Sept or very early OCT if the molded parts look to be of the quality we need.
After they are run they will ship here in a container, I am told possibly two weeks after the parts are run that it would be mid to late Oct before they get here .

I am working on all the parts to kit this beast now so it will ship when they land here.

Yes we are a tad behind, but not by too much , it was not because of me.

I did get a side note from the molder that they were going to try to push it for faster production.
So I guess will see if they get it done sooner.

The Tool maker is the person who machines the mold, the molder has the factory that uses the tools in their machines to make the product for us, they are two different entities that work together.

Thnx for the support and patience guys, its rolling along with a tentative schedule from the molder now, that's awesome!!!

Maj.Duty
30th July 2015, 06:55 PM
Thank you for the update. Gives you more time for your motor testing anyway ;-]

ezikiel12
30th July 2015, 07:08 PM
And those with prototypes to make everyone feel more impatient. Lol

fireflyer451
30th July 2015, 07:09 PM
http://fpvlab.com/forums/image/jpeg;base64,/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wCEAAkGBxQSEhUUEhQUFRUXFhUVFBcYFBQUFhQUFRQWFxQVFB QYHCggGBolHBQUITEhJSkrLi4uFx8zODMsNygtLisBCgoKDg0O FxAQFywcHBwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLC w3LCwsLCwrLDcrLCssNysrKywrK//AABEIAJIBWQMBIgACEQEDEQH/xAAcAAACAgMBAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAEBQMGAAECBwj/xAA/EAABAwMCAwcCAgcIAQUAAAABAAIRAwQhBRIxQVEGEyJhcYGRMq FSsQcUI0LB0fAVM2JygpKi4fEWNENUsv/EABkBAAMBAQEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAgMEBf/EACMRAQEAAgMBAAICAwEAAAAAAAABAhEDITESQVETYQQycSL/2gAMAwEAAhEDEQA/APFpWiFhWFyaGoWgtSsQe3crAuGrbnIFTNctVCog5ZuQBFFTNU dAKaQiorOKnBgKAcVKVJJKLeaNoulAb QRtAxCQWbs3R3Pk4Az8cFaLb6kR2PsKQ0 vUewF3dl4ceIjIj4Q1lRzxWP1suTG46pjCCq8UY6njilvdS7im z2a24Q1tm5b5KWjTjnyUGkjdcz0QWzrtDUlwCXsROqMmohi0hB uioaTcrbnlR27ySgbNqQwUFVPFFzhAXboaSgD zWKNR3mVDXOFLo8ttSepP5oO5qEBKhLaBTU25Q9k7CIaeaY2Cv hBnyTrTqcWzB1ykV/Uwr72dsAaVNzhwAhOTZyWotK7Pgw6r7N/mrHSpBohoAHQIevfsZMuAgwfJJLvtfRbwM9OU /L3Wk1GkuOKykLRYOgXm9ftu9riQ4RPA9PLoh7zt5UBMEEFoIxw JGQc/Ce4P5P6elvtKZ4safYKCppNF3Gm0 y8wr9ui8MkkFo653RieoTO37bHa1wIO4EZPQ/nj7pbhfc/S8VdCouzs CULU7MUTw3D3QVp2obuDXOBhoc48IEfnKct1anta4uAkA5PCRI HrCOj3hSp3ZFkQ2o4ewKFuuyDiIbUHuFbWVARK3uR8xXzipLey 1ZrNvhPvCj/APTdb8I VeBUC3vR8wvjH9viZy5WLRWim1orUrRSVpkrJWliA2tgrUrEBP TqwuxVkoaVtpQWh9N6l3IOg5FUyoqLE9EImi3cQBzIUAcn j6adoeeZEeijK6Vx47q91roUtOewODS9opNJ4DdjKg7OXZq021 CImfcAwHe6S9srd5pUmt4FwHq4jCsmj24p02sHBrQ0ewhZYeWn z3yDqhwgaB8SJrvwQhLQZKpzaMAcH0UHZgTWeV253hK32UGXlA E3hmoVE4qSs7xFQuPFBA7252tlQW14QAYXeo5CwUwQA0Smm7PW GWz5JbqToY5MZhvslOqu8EdSks7tcWrB1S 9bhMKp20aY8gl90 UBPZNhqlqHC5oYaFqrwQCy6dJA8x a9Ks75opNHCGj7BeY7S6o0DiSrH2n1JlrRZTy55HijPLIOFUGy HtB2jJe4AiJII5/8Aaql7q8n ua2 o 4qd3TptLnHAaOA5meQCsVp j17YNQjzSuUjTHDan1rtzhMYwg6tZ3DlP8ABXm67KOZiJHJJb/QHCSB/wCRwS 4v Oq2539eiIoPLQMny UQNPOZ6j74K3WowIHKfiU9j5SUNWeCJ4c/Ton l9om1KjBUdJLgTyDWgiYHXCptSc5whaXEmc qcTlg ibHtIx7S4GQJiOeeUosarugCJ5x1XjGia47DHvgACA0chynkrn peoDlu dyrbKr9Tuuq6/XAq8y kYPFa/W0QR8sVWQYUcomvTMShiFq6Y5WLFtBtLFixAYtrFhKDbC6XLSu kFXTEVagkoVgV57KaLtYKjx4jkDoFnnl89p1voqtNPgjfg4Mfz Vy007to5BVm9B71xHMqy9mKZLwD6/C5ssvp04YyRYtVojZSdzDnEeRAAn7ldWI8K41ep9DegJPq4/8AhS2ohqvHxxcl3ajuCorPmurl64tjhNCeu7wFFdmBFNxS 9P7Mpnog228oKuSclclq2tPKAXajTkIvS2QENeDgjrFuEARWqY Sq/Mlg8wj66ADd1emPNAPtSMBo6BKKrshNNUMu9kqH1hANKfBR3Ds KQcEPXYXfSCT5CUhBHZCz33G48GZ91z kisAZMARAOJPpzJTLsyO6Y4nBPyqzdUHXuphgDi2n4iCcCPXqV VuoMe6d9htIFpT7wtmtUguJxtbxDGk/dWOvfmfEx48wdwQ17QLR4qTHdXMkvHnnPwlBZP0VT6OErnt7el hjJDereUzjcPQ4/NL7mk0zwQLq1UYLd/ U5/2lBVL4fhLesgjPoltbm 0lhJjEpTd6Rg/1wThtxzJnz/mFFWqiEJsilalp5EqvPw5XnVnYxwhUG6fLyt PLbDlnRhaVBuBHL sq2aVqRO0t4jEenIQqPa1CCfZP8AT7jbhvGBz44n2KtzV6Ta3g e0OGOTh0cOIK679KLCsCwHgSM9CeqI3p7THjXaO2bRqvYMg5Hl PJIVce3elQ7vm8Dhw6HkVT4WmF6bY ONqxdrhUuNLFuFiAwBbIWNC6QGgFIGStsapqbOBUWotT6NQa6q wO4SvU7alDYA4CAvMKJhwI4ghep6c7cwHyCx5t2LwJa kuc8bRzVt0TSe5YS Nx6cgu7amAQidRrQyB 8Y9hkrDFpllqE97U3Pnz yOZ9KWOPiCYOdhbuO90LcldUeCiuXKemMBMkepOhg9k7thttgk OqH6R1IVhriKLR6JFQzFxUK7ZwUFdyABurgBwCcWYG3CrF2Cao VmtsMHogIrkoXTRuum QlS3D1rQGzWc7oEAbfvl5QFqJeiKz5cfMonS6NLJLiD6ICRyda FWDA4490A63YQSHj3SsavT2vpl8Ey05E5xhOBYr 7aQXAbvJsOP2XnmpXFxSc o0d33jifqG8hpxMcAgafZs1C o8saQ4hhY0NDmtOHODI8RnJUGr16dsQz9uKgElzXl7B/pqGPhLKtOPHs40nthcH 9kxzlPW6oXgcBOT1Xn1trW7DwDOA8CJnhub19FYdjtgcCRygg8 R1WOeOnbhksgvmiAam32UjmB4w9r/AFXnl9Wc6ZP3QFClcNdLHSOm7PwiYncnoVza7MgR6GQlVWsl n6xVBIfJ6g8vRFVqs8gps0Jdl2tXYawqiXFXKsnaGm455KsPYt KRjyjbDIKY21zsqDzMg 0Qk1mcqwWIa4sDsZwenHmta58ou2kVZpDycR7ckwhL9NmBu9kz 3hJEef9qa7jTIBYWOmQTnAJVBeFae11OHgEg4LsA4ziVWbgAHC vjnTTBCtFE0bVzmzGOSifRLcEKrWkQytwu2UysLUHtyF1K3TZJ AUte22pbJHTfCJYVBb0wSJ4JxWsGgDa4KcqNBrd0kHzXqOm Gk30CoNjoxqCJc0xII4EKx2Ar0qe10PE8TIIH8VlyZSxWM0uFt WWr98uA6D7nigtGeXROOq7qOJJPqssIjly/CADxo6ql9D60bVctWIatxCLYMBAuPiRtM5CZUNe5qMHmrDqDvC 0eSr4G64aneoAl4CRNRhQObKnr ECShg/PFACvpDvAmzj4UDQaN8lNalZkIBLcuUnZ10CqfZZdQVqxIY1wB 4phxdnxInRnCD6oC5dmVPav2tSBrcvG0 i8zuW7qzyOqul/XIYSVSbWTvPUlOFVy7KNNS3YG521H035y0l25s rT9lN2ptaTiQ7bAwQeJjgVX/0fX76V29oy19M7mEw1xaRB8iJdkK1a0bcu3PNQuHIta4DyDgRj 1Cy5Lq9Orgx62q9toNN76Yp08l4DRJ2nmTHlx9k 7UU6jWbTWe4lu3jOTicyn iWQp0xWcP2j2 AH/46Z/iUg1nxl0HMY9RkKLlfy6pjFKq2gYyadNtRwxkBxJ/eJlLmajktqUQ2ObAabm kcVcK1CPGBh/7RuOR tvqHSFyG0nc/YnP3VTNncNq7aakWzuqhwAlktc4vGcAtBg ql/t4j6qNSPIH8iE0Oktc6WtiOfr0UlS0hO5S/g5jYr17rNN4gh49Wqsuq5PRWzVbIbHEpHY6eKjs8FeFkRnLS4E 8k50aahYB1gepKZDTrWmYe1zzE4JA yYaH r96NtAU9oxDnGf80k9Vf1KjLiutrDTfGOn9FS96epWANJwCFva E3NHlmu13uuarZAkgH0bkQfdC29mx7gHODBGSZjHomWt20XT3E 4IB Uue Gk4x arG9L/4finbsptbTq0nHlh4jzJlJ6rKji4tDHgHMdemVOy/bUokva15BDG4DTnM4UWp6c2m0FrnBzvpaDx6oOW7L61cmRsAjj Cw7CYyPVTMtSxoJqBsnPol9xUz9U fVGmn1b0baLpwe4HcBEynN5pYJ5QfNUrvDyn5UtO8eP3nfJSyw t/K5Vz07s8J8QDhzH8lYLfQKQ4NXnVDVXgfW9voUdQ1yoOFxUHrB WeWGX7K5x6MbBoAjBHAoLVau1rQeLjnphVJvaCt/9k/7QUG7tHXLxLt8cPCFH8dT9x6ZpTYpz1Wykmg64 oIdv4YloA9gAjXXE8yr86ZZXdFWjZJypqsTHFL6dzt4KYXRQls 0HF0gYRW2OJAQprmFGahKYSMeGVNwMqevqBcZ4IKF22mgtCDXJ 5rYqqNlAqUW5QGd4ZRQqGFGy2ymVK2BgDJ5RJJPolS2X0GFzwO pA SrbVptZUqUy8OLQ3cCxu1pcJDWnnjilFfTarWuLabw7adp2HBg wVq6uBTb3lRxLqm0jqd2M ZMqcvFSXXiXUdOpVGv3NAhpMtlsQMcMcY5IDSbRjmjxHGMogXb iI2gyM8fhdtpuIwITiaF7R6cAwNY4OJHJUF1CrTBGwj2XrelaM 4kvfnEBEXOiEgwGn1CqJ9eOaC5zLhryIMOb8t/mrHb13PqA7O8ayXPH4jGGq21dAJ402 oCg0azaKRGN0kHgMgws T11/4 XWiK67VgmHY5dI9lAytRqNJ3yTPArNf0Nr3nBHWISeh2fYwyC4 dYKy6dmx2nXbm7qZ2vZO4Ndw/wAzXDLT9kW9zOIpkHzcHAf8UNdW0NBZ9TfuOYQh1GRx5cOhR6V 1s0bXA4f0UFdV0uq3M81CHp6Lbu6AeCOShZYu2Oc3g0KQmEXb1 t1MtGG8Xnr5J70RPp1TcHbx4gTB8k20ahku9guKViC/B4nI446psGBuG8Bha4Rny5zGaF0OK73LilifRcLRxRQ 0hh8pPSsqlc93SG4gS7yHUlP 1VFsW x28Pp73OkHxlzgWAcogceq1oFx q06j4mpUGwA5gDLnJ4q2AZowoiapGHB2PLkgb/AFAbi PEY2A/ut/hK51TU3PdJ9QOQ9knqOJMlXIvGW91LcXBeZJ9lAsWJtGLpuVga pWMQLU9PYBmZXVIMJPIcl3bWwLocQBHVc3tJjTDHSVNZua7hMN WVGPpkZIJE aL0m2E7ney5u6wqVfIeEeykjLQ9TLXsDnuM4IJPPgrg0ZXndSn sfSfmHbXZ9cr1OlaiB6A/IU5RNBNGUS2mUUygAimtClGwNOgVM20RIcAtd8JTCIW4BRDGBR vcTwBKkp27zxwkEogLl1UBSNs pKkZaMHJGxoIK88ASjbXXjaZLfE7HmG XRTU29Al vdn61aoODG7R4iZ9QGjiVGVb8GO8lstu11Mty8g qHvdUt6kBwDx16ZnCrVLsfRY39pc1AeUbePpCS39pUtHAgmpSJ w7mPUdFDu1F5eG8WZYeH8iitLtu8eBy5pHo r0ajYDSKhMQJA9XDorp2eojaXdeC1w7efzYSXo2awAQOC4NNTr UK7Ns/kM6gF5J2y0trLmoHue1s7m7XEYd4p 69dqXDQYJ xVE/SPbB 17YILdp8iDj7H7LPOdNOK6yef1Luu0BtK5Y5g4B2D79Vr 2arR 0Yw bHAH4KWXWlgHBIjj6 SjbblpyJ9VEkrt2a/25ukFpb05ygtoMk8ytsbOSuO85RhLwMLIW1xUrIepXVaKi 9EgHEmPZH0GU3O2jl8D1SOhRNR7WngSB91abehtL2xBDtvwnjj tnyZ3GDLShSBABM8eARFuylvBLsAyUHQpw4k9Fo1ZwBhaOS3Zj WuKb3u2mG4C4hv4kEymGngiP1jyCYkJ3myt6RpUWObcMO6obqQ Wno1vD4VF1K dMGPEMEYhpOYHKUu1fUn3NZ9Wq4ue9xcST15IQOzmT7rXTTHD9 n oWrXsFRseEeLPLy81oWFBgBqfS4AsySY5zCWWdu oCGOGf3SYlavaNRpAqchAzyRo9f2dM0 1PBw/wB8LdzolNw/Z4PLMj3VahGaZfGm7j4ekpi439irLTCKhDuIEjoVCwfmfPgu7j V3E46Fvyhra4giRwU6TZajuD4uM/ZdW9VoyRK3eVA4yBCHTkXPBde kQBHVc2L2B/7QEtgzHH1CGW2p6GlpoWbb2oKdFwbsbLd52gjmB5r0YkAAcwAP gLxrTXltRrgC6DMDieoXrXZp1R7Bvy6PC0wXwOMkYGIws8oyym hMOPJSCm7qpgZ/rh6qRrFmhALcc1K2kByUwYugxIOWqUErQC2kHSkpx 8YHM9AoQVp9MvGwGCYE9MhFPH0ezVabc02MBH0lxdUd69AfZJN Z7QkSd ev8A1yCsNHRrekIc5zyOJ8LWz5Ii20 gXfsqLC7/ACh3y48Fne3p44yePOBq7z Iz/hJ/grNpV0x7dr5k/uuBH2Ks qd7SaXQyAOA2kj2CqerXDrpoIw9mWkeXFp9ULMC5rWOIjw gJH8ULp1SpVE96WDkAUJYUX1rerUd4A0bQ0/Uc8T0GCgrjwspxgxK1w8ed/kT/2tAZWaJFw5DN7R12nFYOjqFXKdd4/ed84S69uW0zL37efqqY6egUe2dUfU1jkp7Zdum9x3YpDcSCTx2 huZCpVPV97iKbTtblzjyHlCi7P93eahRpVf7vfuf5hmdvoTATp zoRqjatIjvKbmb2io2QD4XcDjghaN2DgnCtf6RXObeU6hPgqN7 ojkIJLP5Kq3FqDIiDEiFz6d2N3GXFw0cCgzftAKHr2bhzKhbQV yRTVS7J4AqSgwnJUtG1RLaMI2ehemNAdJ4AGfhPL 8LDb1CPDXpAE9KtMAT/AKmkH2VVr1y1ro5iPlWTX7V39kWxcIqUXUp8tzNpH/5T1 WHP4k74581lvkoGwuN7AeYwUdauWjmS1XIeHdUS5uVxKDjyzQK bXVYfEbTE9UHe0tj3N6FGjSnhoeCOsDiEL pVHH6XSfLit225v0ZaXFENyw7gObjx6g8llfUQ8QaQIGAZJI91 qloVU8YHqUXQ0eo04eB90rU3Wy5tFruBLT0MlS1qbg0FwaRMDE cOasdOnA8UOPWAo6wB6KbU/avspU3cy3H3ULbdvN4HqD8oquMux9kueMohy7SGkOTgflc92Oo WmMJ5I6hpb3eXqinboH3Q6hGWlmHcA5x9IHuUytNHa36jKcW7W tENACW0XIhfpFUCWkA9BIPyr52KqG3YxsnqfU5KEs9o4wj2OAy EM7bV6NOjcZJ21D 82JPq3ml93Y1aWS3vGfiZkgf4mcQq9Q1PaZnITy07WxHHz80tb R3HDLgOGDP9cxyXYcjrmnQuf2jf2dQ/vsxn/EODggtpYQ2sADyePod/I Sm4nK2ug1FNtZ4KVlmoMGyksuaZDHno0kewTEUIQusCKFSOO3 ISqsfU9jqg7hu9zCS0eHaIA5D180u1HX2027Q4N6BvhAnoAqRd XzxVc0csD2Sa9DnyXF271Ua29KXpetP1UudmoImSCcqW/uWU6jXMIh8hzeUjmF5db1alN0gmSm9puqO3VHnGAAY49E7gf2v F1qm1pYIirE W0TA UmuL7hMYEA7pH8wl2o19lMbZJyAeMSIJS63ZtHeVTAHXifJoWm Hji5tXMzvNadTaXOa0CPDmS4nhHkq/Y2dW7qGo Q2fqPCOjUzoaYazu8r FnFlOYJH Lp6JvUqBoGA1rRgDgFTIn1qs2lTFOnjr/wBor9G2nF1bvoxy VX7kur1YAkudtaPUwvaOy2h9zTYwDg1s vNGXUOQv7aWBuKDgPqADm TmmQvP7O7Jy7jG0 R5r2K/t44815f2p0k0am4Dwvz/qWEb8WWuqUVa0lRtpqEORtu2VToT0qYhaqERlcveZAAJJwAE0t dL2Q6tk8Ws/i7 SQyykjjs7pG53fVcMH920/vH8ZHTonnbJ4On1I/FTP/MLVmxz8n6fz/wCkD27qbbNwHN9Mf8gf4K8XHnl9VVtIvNhzwPFWewIOQZHJUSi ITenqLmgEe8LSxGlsqXLAQCclD7m/iVft68u3yDE4nOei1/arehQJC6zcdo9ERuPUrSxa02i49Sudx6lbWKaHD3HqoahwfRYs SIlquIBjqoKHFYsQvE2suPymLXFYsQmutx6lb3HqVixBJGPM8T 8otlQ9T8lYsQSLed3E/KLovOMn5WLECrD2dqu3HxH5KuTTupu3ZxzzyWLEIV3SLh8xudE uxuMcQnoqu/EfkrFiimzvXTxPyUHqNQ927J4DmeoWLEl4 vPblx712eZQ0rFiTu/BXdn8/4omi49VixCTa3cYSbUHk3LASSJGCZCxYrjlz/2Oq7zu4n5QeovPduyflYsTiXHYX/3lL1P5Fe10KhkZPyVixTmoPqdQ4yflVbte4miZPRYsUQ5686nK PsXGCsWIdcO9CGHO59efyo2PJeZJOeq0sTYcvqxUnmOJ4dVVe3 lV3cDJ/vG8z5rSxVixU5jj1RlN5g5PDqtrFZhabjudk/SUV3zvxH5KxYkcf/Z64936

The ToolMaker controls all..... errr wait a minute. Thanks for the update.

ritewing
30th July 2015, 09:14 PM
The German tool maker is worth the wait, he does great work , he has made all the ritewing tools.
http://fpvlab.com/forums/image/jpeg;base64,/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wCEAAkGBxQSEhUUEhQUFRUXFhUVFBcYFBQUFhQUFRQWFxQVFB QYHCggGBolHBQUITEhJSkrLi4uFx8zODMsNygtLisBCgoKDg0O FxAQFywcHBwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLC w3LCwsLCwrLDcrLCssNysrKywrK//AABEIAJIBWQMBIgACEQEDEQH/xAAcAAACAgMBAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAEBQMGAAECBwj/xAA/EAABAwMCAwcCAgcIAQUAAAABAAIRAwQhBRIxQVEGEyJhcYGRMq FSsQcUI0LB0fAVM2JygpKi4fEWNENUsv/EABkBAAMBAQEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAgMEBf/EACMRAQEAAgMBAAICAwEAAAAAAAABAhEDITESQVETYQQycSL/2gAMAwEAAhEDEQA/APFpWiFhWFyaGoWgtSsQe3crAuGrbnIFTNctVCog5ZuQBFFTNU dAKaQiorOKnBgKAcVKVJJKLeaNoulAb QRtAxCQWbs3R3Pk4Az8cFaLb6kR2PsKQ0 vUewF3dl4ceIjIj4Q1lRzxWP1suTG46pjCCq8UY6njilvdS7im z2a24Q1tm5b5KWjTjnyUGkjdcz0QWzrtDUlwCXsROqMmohi0hB uioaTcrbnlR27ySgbNqQwUFVPFFzhAXboaSgD zWKNR3mVDXOFLo8ttSepP5oO5qEBKhLaBTU25Q9k7CIaeaY2Cv hBnyTrTqcWzB1ykV/Uwr72dsAaVNzhwAhOTZyWotK7Pgw6r7N/mrHSpBohoAHQIevfsZMuAgwfJJLvtfRbwM9OU /L3Wk1GkuOKykLRYOgXm9ftu9riQ4RPA9PLoh7zt5UBMEEFoIxw JGQc/Ce4P5P6elvtKZ4safYKCppNF3Gm0 y8wr9ui8MkkFo653RieoTO37bHa1wIO4EZPQ/nj7pbhfc/S8VdCouzs CULU7MUTw3D3QVp2obuDXOBhoc48IEfnKct1anta4uAkA5PCRI HrCOj3hSp3ZFkQ2o4ewKFuuyDiIbUHuFbWVARK3uR8xXzipLey 1ZrNvhPvCj/APTdb8I VeBUC3vR8wvjH9viZy5WLRWim1orUrRSVpkrJWliA2tgrUrEBP TqwuxVkoaVtpQWh9N6l3IOg5FUyoqLE9EImi3cQBzIUAcn j6adoeeZEeijK6Vx47q91roUtOewODS9opNJ4DdjKg7OXZq021 CImfcAwHe6S9srd5pUmt4FwHq4jCsmj24p02sHBrQ0ewhZYeWn z3yDqhwgaB8SJrvwQhLQZKpzaMAcH0UHZgTWeV253hK32UGXlA E3hmoVE4qSs7xFQuPFBA7252tlQW14QAYXeo5CwUwQA0Smm7PW GWz5JbqToY5MZhvslOqu8EdSks7tcWrB1S 9bhMKp20aY8gl90 UBPZNhqlqHC5oYaFqrwQCy6dJA8x a9Ks75opNHCGj7BeY7S6o0DiSrH2n1JlrRZTy55HijPLIOFUGy HtB2jJe4AiJII5/8Aaql7q8n ua2 o 4qd3TptLnHAaOA5meQCsVp j17YNQjzSuUjTHDan1rtzhMYwg6tZ3DlP8ABXm67KOZiJHJJb/QHCSB/wCRwS 4v Oq2539eiIoPLQMny UQNPOZ6j74K3WowIHKfiU9j5SUNWeCJ4c/Ton l9om1KjBUdJLgTyDWgiYHXCptSc5whaXEmc qcTlg ibHtIx7S4GQJiOeeUosarugCJ5x1XjGia47DHvgACA0chynkrn peoDlu dyrbKr9Tuuq6/XAq8y kYPFa/W0QR8sVWQYUcomvTMShiFq6Y5WLFtBtLFixAYtrFhKDbC6XLSu kFXTEVagkoVgV57KaLtYKjx4jkDoFnnl89p1voqtNPgjfg4Mfz Vy007to5BVm9B71xHMqy9mKZLwD6/C5ssvp04YyRYtVojZSdzDnEeRAAn7ldWI8K41ep9DegJPq4/8AhS2ohqvHxxcl3ajuCorPmurl64tjhNCeu7wFFdmBFNxS 9P7Mpnog228oKuSclclq2tPKAXajTkIvS2QENeDgjrFuEARWqY Sq/Mlg8wj66ADd1emPNAPtSMBo6BKKrshNNUMu9kqH1hANKfBR3Ds KQcEPXYXfSCT5CUhBHZCz33G48GZ91z kisAZMARAOJPpzJTLsyO6Y4nBPyqzdUHXuphgDi2n4iCcCPXqV VuoMe6d9htIFpT7wtmtUguJxtbxDGk/dWOvfmfEx48wdwQ17QLR4qTHdXMkvHnnPwlBZP0VT6OErnt7el hjJDereUzjcPQ4/NL7mk0zwQLq1UYLd/ U5/2lBVL4fhLesgjPoltbm 0lhJjEpTd6Rg/1wThtxzJnz/mFFWqiEJsilalp5EqvPw5XnVnYxwhUG6fLyt PLbDlnRhaVBuBHL sq2aVqRO0t4jEenIQqPa1CCfZP8AT7jbhvGBz44n2KtzV6Ta3g e0OGOTh0cOIK679KLCsCwHgSM9CeqI3p7THjXaO2bRqvYMg5Hl PJIVce3elQ7vm8Dhw6HkVT4WmF6bY ONqxdrhUuNLFuFiAwBbIWNC6QGgFIGStsapqbOBUWotT6NQa6q wO4SvU7alDYA4CAvMKJhwI4ghep6c7cwHyCx5t2LwJa kuc8bRzVt0TSe5YS Nx6cgu7amAQidRrQyB 8Y9hkrDFpllqE97U3Pnz yOZ9KWOPiCYOdhbuO90LcldUeCiuXKemMBMkepOhg9k7thttgk OqH6R1IVhriKLR6JFQzFxUK7ZwUFdyABurgBwCcWYG3CrF2Cao VmtsMHogIrkoXTRuum QlS3D1rQGzWc7oEAbfvl5QFqJeiKz5cfMonS6NLJLiD6ICRyda FWDA4490A63YQSHj3SsavT2vpl8Ey05E5xhOBYr 7aQXAbvJsOP2XnmpXFxSc o0d33jifqG8hpxMcAgafZs1C o8saQ4hhY0NDmtOHODI8RnJUGr16dsQz9uKgElzXl7B/pqGPhLKtOPHs40nthcH 9kxzlPW6oXgcBOT1Xn1trW7DwDOA8CJnhub19FYdjtgcCRygg8 R1WOeOnbhksgvmiAam32UjmB4w9r/AFXnl9Wc6ZP3QFClcNdLHSOm7PwiYncnoVza7MgR6GQlVWsl n6xVBIfJ6g8vRFVqs8gps0Jdl2tXYawqiXFXKsnaGm455KsPYt KRjyjbDIKY21zsqDzMg 0Qk1mcqwWIa4sDsZwenHmta58ou2kVZpDycR7ckwhL9NmBu9kz 3hJEef9qa7jTIBYWOmQTnAJVBeFae11OHgEg4LsA4ziVWbgAHC vjnTTBCtFE0bVzmzGOSifRLcEKrWkQytwu2UysLUHtyF1K3TZJ AUte22pbJHTfCJYVBb0wSJ4JxWsGgDa4KcqNBrd0kHzXqOm Gk30CoNjoxqCJc0xII4EKx2Ar0qe10PE8TIIH8VlyZSxWM0uFt WWr98uA6D7nigtGeXROOq7qOJJPqssIjly/CADxo6ql9D60bVctWIatxCLYMBAuPiRtM5CZUNe5qMHmrDqDvC 0eSr4G64aneoAl4CRNRhQObKnr ECShg/PFACvpDvAmzj4UDQaN8lNalZkIBLcuUnZ10CqfZZdQVqxIY1wB 4phxdnxInRnCD6oC5dmVPav2tSBrcvG0 i8zuW7qzyOqul/XIYSVSbWTvPUlOFVy7KNNS3YG521H035y0l25s rT9lN2ptaTiQ7bAwQeJjgVX/0fX76V29oy19M7mEw1xaRB8iJdkK1a0bcu3PNQuHIta4DyDgRj 1Cy5Lq9Orgx62q9toNN76Yp08l4DRJ2nmTHlx9k 7UU6jWbTWe4lu3jOTicyn iWQp0xWcP2j2 AH/46Z/iUg1nxl0HMY9RkKLlfy6pjFKq2gYyadNtRwxkBxJ/eJlLmajktqUQ2ObAabm kcVcK1CPGBh/7RuOR tvqHSFyG0nc/YnP3VTNncNq7aakWzuqhwAlktc4vGcAtBg ql/t4j6qNSPIH8iE0Oktc6WtiOfr0UlS0hO5S/g5jYr17rNN4gh49Wqsuq5PRWzVbIbHEpHY6eKjs8FeFkRnLS4E 8k50aahYB1gepKZDTrWmYe1zzE4JA yYaH r96NtAU9oxDnGf80k9Vf1KjLiutrDTfGOn9FS96epWANJwCFva E3NHlmu13uuarZAkgH0bkQfdC29mx7gHODBGSZjHomWt20XT3E 4IB Uue Gk4x arG9L/4finbsptbTq0nHlh4jzJlJ6rKji4tDHgHMdemVOy/bUokva15BDG4DTnM4UWp6c2m0FrnBzvpaDx6oOW7L61cmRsAjj Cw7CYyPVTMtSxoJqBsnPol9xUz9U fVGmn1b0baLpwe4HcBEynN5pYJ5QfNUrvDyn5UtO8eP3nfJSyw t/K5Vz07s8J8QDhzH8lYLfQKQ4NXnVDVXgfW9voUdQ1yoOFxUHrB WeWGX7K5x6MbBoAjBHAoLVau1rQeLjnphVJvaCt/9k/7QUG7tHXLxLt8cPCFH8dT9x6ZpTYpz1Wykmg64 oIdv4YloA9gAjXXE8yr86ZZXdFWjZJypqsTHFL6dzt4KYXRQls 0HF0gYRW2OJAQprmFGahKYSMeGVNwMqevqBcZ4IKF22mgtCDXJ 5rYqqNlAqUW5QGd4ZRQqGFGy2ymVK2BgDJ5RJJPolS2X0GFzwO pA SrbVptZUqUy8OLQ3cCxu1pcJDWnnjilFfTarWuLabw7adp2HBg wVq6uBTb3lRxLqm0jqd2M ZMqcvFSXXiXUdOpVGv3NAhpMtlsQMcMcY5IDSbRjmjxHGMogXb iI2gyM8fhdtpuIwITiaF7R6cAwNY4OJHJUF1CrTBGwj2XrelaM 4kvfnEBEXOiEgwGn1CqJ9eOaC5zLhryIMOb8t/mrHb13PqA7O8ayXPH4jGGq21dAJ402 oCg0azaKRGN0kHgMgws T11/4 XWiK67VgmHY5dI9lAytRqNJ3yTPArNf0Nr3nBHWISeh2fYwyC4 dYKy6dmx2nXbm7qZ2vZO4Ndw/wAzXDLT9kW9zOIpkHzcHAf8UNdW0NBZ9TfuOYQh1GRx5cOhR6V 1s0bXA4f0UFdV0uq3M81CHp6Lbu6AeCOShZYu2Oc3g0KQmEXb1 t1MtGG8Xnr5J70RPp1TcHbx4gTB8k20ahku9guKViC/B4nI446psGBuG8Bha4Rny5zGaF0OK73LilifRcLRxRQ 0hh8pPSsqlc93SG4gS7yHUlP 1VFsW x28Pp73OkHxlzgWAcogceq1oFx q06j4mpUGwA5gDLnJ4q2AZowoiapGHB2PLkgb/AFAbi PEY2A/ut/hK51TU3PdJ9QOQ9knqOJMlXIvGW91LcXBeZJ9lAsWJtGLpuVga pWMQLU9PYBmZXVIMJPIcl3bWwLocQBHVc3tJjTDHSVNZua7hMN WVGPpkZIJE aL0m2E7ney5u6wqVfIeEeykjLQ9TLXsDnuM4IJPPgrg0ZXndSn sfSfmHbXZ9cr1OlaiB6A/IU5RNBNGUS2mUUygAimtClGwNOgVM20RIcAtd8JTCIW4BRDGBR vcTwBKkp27zxwkEogLl1UBSNs pKkZaMHJGxoIK88ASjbXXjaZLfE7HmG XRTU29Al vdn61aoODG7R4iZ9QGjiVGVb8GO8lstu11Mty8g qHvdUt6kBwDx16ZnCrVLsfRY39pc1AeUbePpCS39pUtHAgmpSJ w7mPUdFDu1F5eG8WZYeH8iitLtu8eBy5pHo r0ajYDSKhMQJA9XDorp2eojaXdeC1w7efzYSXo2awAQOC4NNTr UK7Ns/kM6gF5J2y0trLmoHue1s7m7XEYd4p 69dqXDQYJ xVE/SPbB 17YILdp8iDj7H7LPOdNOK6yef1Luu0BtK5Y5g4B2D79Vr 2arR 0Yw bHAH4KWXWlgHBIjj6 SjbblpyJ9VEkrt2a/25ukFpb05ygtoMk8ytsbOSuO85RhLwMLIW1xUrIepXVaKi 9EgHEmPZH0GU3O2jl8D1SOhRNR7WngSB91abehtL2xBDtvwnjj tnyZ3GDLShSBABM8eARFuylvBLsAyUHQpw4k9Fo1ZwBhaOS3Zj WuKb3u2mG4C4hv4kEymGngiP1jyCYkJ3myt6RpUWObcMO6obqQ Wno1vD4VF1K dMGPEMEYhpOYHKUu1fUn3NZ9Wq4ue9xcST15IQOzmT7rXTTHD9 n oWrXsFRseEeLPLy81oWFBgBqfS4AsySY5zCWWdu oCGOGf3SYlavaNRpAqchAzyRo9f2dM0 1PBw/wB8LdzolNw/Z4PLMj3VahGaZfGm7j4ekpi439irLTCKhDuIEjoVCwfmfPgu7j V3E46Fvyhra4giRwU6TZajuD4uM/ZdW9VoyRK3eVA4yBCHTkXPBde kQBHVc2L2B/7QEtgzHH1CGW2p6GlpoWbb2oKdFwbsbLd52gjmB5r0YkAAcwAP gLxrTXltRrgC6DMDieoXrXZp1R7Bvy6PC0wXwOMkYGIws8oyym hMOPJSCm7qpgZ/rh6qRrFmhALcc1K2kByUwYugxIOWqUErQC2kHSkpx 8YHM9AoQVp9MvGwGCYE9MhFPH0ezVabc02MBH0lxdUd69AfZJN Z7QkSd ev8A1yCsNHRrekIc5zyOJ8LWz5Ii20 gXfsqLC7/ACh3y48Fne3p44yePOBq7z Iz/hJ/grNpV0x7dr5k/uuBH2Ks qd7SaXQyAOA2kj2CqerXDrpoIw9mWkeXFp9ULMC5rWOIjw gJH8ULp1SpVE96WDkAUJYUX1rerUd4A0bQ0/Uc8T0GCgrjwspxgxK1w8ed/kT/2tAZWaJFw5DN7R12nFYOjqFXKdd4/ed84S69uW0zL37efqqY6egUe2dUfU1jkp7Zdum9x3YpDcSCTx2 huZCpVPV97iKbTtblzjyHlCi7P93eahRpVf7vfuf5hmdvoTATp zoRqjatIjvKbmb2io2QD4XcDjghaN2DgnCtf6RXObeU6hPgqN7 ojkIJLP5Kq3FqDIiDEiFz6d2N3GXFw0cCgzftAKHr2bhzKhbQV yRTVS7J4AqSgwnJUtG1RLaMI2ehemNAdJ4AGfhPL 8LDb1CPDXpAE9KtMAT/AKmkH2VVr1y1ro5iPlWTX7V39kWxcIqUXUp8tzNpH/5T1 WHP4k74581lvkoGwuN7AeYwUdauWjmS1XIeHdUS5uVxKDjyzQK bXVYfEbTE9UHe0tj3N6FGjSnhoeCOsDiEL pVHH6XSfLit225v0ZaXFENyw7gObjx6g8llfUQ8QaQIGAZJI91 qloVU8YHqUXQ0eo04eB90rU3Wy5tFruBLT0MlS1qbg0FwaRMDE cOasdOnA8UOPWAo6wB6KbU/avspU3cy3H3ULbdvN4HqD8oquMux9kueMohy7SGkOTgflc92Oo WmMJ5I6hpb3eXqinboH3Q6hGWlmHcA5x9IHuUytNHa36jKcW7W tENACW0XIhfpFUCWkA9BIPyr52KqG3YxsnqfU5KEs9o4wj2OAy EM7bV6NOjcZJ21D 82JPq3ml93Y1aWS3vGfiZkgf4mcQq9Q1PaZnITy07WxHHz80tb R3HDLgOGDP9cxyXYcjrmnQuf2jf2dQ/vsxn/EODggtpYQ2sADyePod/I Sm4nK2ug1FNtZ4KVlmoMGyksuaZDHno0kewTEUIQusCKFSOO3 ISqsfU9jqg7hu9zCS0eHaIA5D180u1HX2027Q4N6BvhAnoAqRd XzxVc0csD2Sa9DnyXF271Ua29KXpetP1UudmoImSCcqW/uWU6jXMIh8hzeUjmF5db1alN0gmSm9puqO3VHnGAAY49E7gf2v F1qm1pYIirE W0TA UmuL7hMYEA7pH8wl2o19lMbZJyAeMSIJS63ZtHeVTAHXifJoWm Hji5tXMzvNadTaXOa0CPDmS4nhHkq/Y2dW7qGo Q2fqPCOjUzoaYazu8r FnFlOYJH Lp6JvUqBoGA1rRgDgFTIn1qs2lTFOnjr/wBor9G2nF1bvoxy VX7kur1YAkudtaPUwvaOy2h9zTYwDg1s vNGXUOQv7aWBuKDgPqADm TmmQvP7O7Jy7jG0 R5r2K/t44815f2p0k0am4Dwvz/qWEb8WWuqUVa0lRtpqEORtu2VToT0qYhaqERlcveZAAJJwAE0t dL2Q6tk8Ws/i7 SQyykjjs7pG53fVcMH920/vH8ZHTonnbJ4On1I/FTP/MLVmxz8n6fz/wCkD27qbbNwHN9Mf8gf4K8XHnl9VVtIvNhzwPFWewIOQZHJUSi ITenqLmgEe8LSxGlsqXLAQCclD7m/iVft68u3yDE4nOei1/arehQJC6zcdo9ERuPUrSxa02i49Sudx6lbWKaHD3HqoahwfRYs SIlquIBjqoKHFYsQvE2suPymLXFYsQmutx6lb3HqVixBJGPM8T 8otlQ9T8lYsQSLed3E/KLovOMn5WLECrD2dqu3HxH5KuTTupu3ZxzzyWLEIV3SLh8xudE uxuMcQnoqu/EfkrFiimzvXTxPyUHqNQ927J4DmeoWLEl4 vPblx712eZQ0rFiTu/BXdn8/4omi49VixCTa3cYSbUHk3LASSJGCZCxYrjlz/2Oq7zu4n5QeovPduyflYsTiXHYX/3lL1P5Fe10KhkZPyVixTmoPqdQ4yflVbte4miZPRYsUQ5686nK PsXGCsWIdcO9CGHO59efyo2PJeZJOeq0sTYcvqxUnmOJ4dVVe3 lV3cDJ/vG8z5rSxVixU5jj1RlN5g5PDqtrFZhabjudk/SUV3zvxH5KxYkcf/Z

The ToolMaker controls all..... errr wait a minute. Thanks for the update.

serac
30th July 2015, 09:28 PM
That is great news! To be this close to schedule for bringing a new product into production is great work. Looking forward to further progress.

Hoss
30th July 2015, 09:35 PM
My chimera breathed a sigh of relief.

Shifteer
30th July 2015, 09:41 PM
Im sure it'll be awesome but I can't say I'm not dissappinted in the 2 month delay. Late October in Canada probably means Spring 2016. :(

ritewing
30th July 2015, 09:46 PM
Thank you Serac, its been a lot of work thus far, now I can get some sleep knowing the schedule is materializing.
Again thanks guys, I also think this is not much of a delay at all. I was thinking end of of august so its really not bad.
I did a bunch of cool extra stuff to the design and some things needed to be tooled a certain way, so it took a little more time.

One good thing is I have had some time to get the motor combos nailed and ordered..

That is great news! To be this close to schedule for bringing a new product into production is great work. Looking forward to further progress.

ginger1302
30th July 2015, 10:08 PM
I will be ordering a 6s motor combo. I may have to get a plane flying in the mean time until I get my hands on mine. I have a feeling it will be worth the wait though.

ritewing
30th July 2015, 10:29 PM
At this point I have found a real sweet spot on a 5 cell motor, the the minimum order for these motors to get the shafts the bearings and everything in them that I want is over $10,000. I do not have any plans at this point to get a 6-cell version, I don't have an extra ten thousand dollars laying around, & I don't see that much of a demand for 6 cell. The five cell is so sweet. I can't justify carrying $10,000 worth of 6-cell when only a handful will probably get used. I will see if I can find another off-the-shelf 6 Cel motor. But it won't have the awesome modifications that I'm doing to these motors.

ginger1302
30th July 2015, 10:34 PM
Lol you are the one testing them and building a great plane. I can go with 5 cell since you have all the time invested in finding an awesome setup. I will need to buy batteries either way.

serac
30th July 2015, 11:09 PM
Chris, not that you don't have enough to do, but it would be amazing to see a demo flight of the canard-equipped Drak...

ritewing
30th July 2015, 11:12 PM
I have the parts on the way to make them work. I have not done them on the Drak yet. I have on a spade a few years ago

epic4me
31st July 2015, 12:07 AM
No problem for the wait! I have 2 draks to play with!!

Hoss
31st July 2015, 12:10 AM
^Dickmove

lbz34
31st July 2015, 01:05 AM
lol im with stupid ^, no offense intended

epic4me
31st July 2015, 01:20 AM
Hey Chris you are talking about the big spade on 6s? I expect to try my 5s motor on Saturday

ritewing
31st July 2015, 01:51 AM
Nope not the same

xmimx
31st July 2015, 02:43 AM
Hi Chris, if you need someone testing the frame right when it gets out of the mold, let me know, it's only 2 hours driving from here :)

slievar
31st July 2015, 05:03 AM
Thanks Chris for the update on the production of the Drak, awesome work!

Really impressed with the transparency of this project. There are not many pre-orders where you can follow the development to such detail as this project.

kross1
31st July 2015, 07:46 AM
Im sure it'll be awesome but I can't say I'm not dissappinted in the 2 month delay. Late October in Canada probably means Spring 2016. :(

It's all about setting expectations properly, and being able to adjust (even if unwilling) if required.

I never expected to fly my DRAK until spring 2016, been considering it a winter project all along.

Hoss
31st July 2015, 08:52 AM
I just got off the phone with the government. They said all ur guyzez prototype drax are belong to me. I'll post address. Pack securely. Send promptly.

Shifteer
31st July 2015, 03:26 PM
Chris I've pre-ordered whatever power package you choose, so i'm in 5 or 6S either way! :)

ritewing
31st July 2015, 03:31 PM
You guys Rock!
Its been transparent because you guys are also helping to make it happen, I have nothing to hide.

tibor
31st July 2015, 03:49 PM
Chris,
Do you have the price range of the 5s motor setup?
I was also dissapointed becasue of the october release but hey it's the Drak! So I can wait :)
You did an awesome job to make it available for us.

ritewing
31st July 2015, 03:52 PM
It will be the same price on the pre sale, but prices will go up some soon on the Drak kit and motor esc combo

Pushjerk
31st July 2015, 04:38 PM
Chris, learning about the beefiness of the power system leads one to infer this is indeed a beefy bird. Has me re-thinking my Servo choice. I have planned on running some Mini HS-225MGs, have some in package and on standby for the build. i? s 50-60 oz/in gonna cut itShould I be looking at a standard sized piece of gear with twice the torque? HS645mg? Will you be selling any that you have picked out for this bird?

ritewing
31st July 2015, 04:46 PM
225, work great, you can put lager, but it's behind cg, so it's up to you. I will be selling my reliable generic digital servos too

Pushjerk
31st July 2015, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply. may in inquire as to the specs of your reliable generic digital servo? size/weight/torque?

ezikiel12
31st July 2015, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply. may in inquire as to the specs of your reliable generic digital servo? size/weight/torque?
See my build log if you want a second opinion.

Hoss
31st July 2015, 04:50 PM
I'm putting these bad boys in there. I have the smaller / lesser version in my Chimera. They have taken such a ridiculous beating - I don't know how they even work anymore, but they work as well as the day I got them. These are a little beefier and super strong.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__30680__TGY_390DMH_High_Performance_MG_Digital_Se rvo_Extra_Strong_5_4kg_11sec_22_5g_US_Warehouse_.h tml

Hobaoe
1st August 2015, 09:59 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=emoElp5ts1I

ginger1302
1st August 2015, 10:43 PM
I guess I will order your secret sauce motor combo at some point soon. Im thinking of buying the multistar batteries for it. What size 5s are we looking at getting for this plane? What size range of batteries should I be looking at?

tibor
4th August 2015, 08:38 AM
There is no 5s from the Multistar LiPo.

ginger1302
4th August 2015, 09:10 AM
Yeah I saw that when I started searching for them online.

Faffer
4th August 2015, 09:15 AM
There is no 5s from the Multistar LiPo.

This is why we need a 6s option ..

Chris is spending a lot on the 5s option and can see his point to not wanting to spend another 10K on another set up when he likes the 5S set up he has worked on.

Id like a 6s set up so come on people .. or even Chris .. Whats been tested on the 6s option

Richard

Hoss
4th August 2015, 09:17 AM
I don't know how people feel about them but I use zippy's in my other wing (4s 8000) and they have been nothing short of fantastic. I've probably got 100+ cycles on each and they still seemingly charge to 100%, don't have the slightest hint of puffing (and I beat on them pretty hard) and provide the same flight times as when I got them. My plan for the drak is to put a 5s 8000 or 2x 5s 4000's in it. Obviously I need to get some solid measurements before pulling the trigger on anything, but that's my rough plan...

ezikiel12
4th August 2015, 09:18 AM
I don't know how people feel about them but I use zippy's in my other wing (4s 8000) and they have been nothing short of fantastic. I've probably got 100+ cycles on each and they still seemingly charge to 100%, don't have the slightest hint of puffing (and I beat on them pretty hard) and provide the same flight times as when I got them. My plan for the drak is to put a 5s 8000 or 2x 5s 4000's in it. Obviously I need to get some solid measurements before pulling the trigger on anything, but that's my rough plan...
2x 20C Zippy 5S 4000's is what I run.

tibor
4th August 2015, 09:38 AM
2x 20C Zippy 5S 4000's is what I run.

What is your average flight time with them?

Hoss
4th August 2015, 09:55 AM
What is your average flight time with them?
Ezikiel loves flight time questions. I'm glad you asked :)

I'm glad to know they fit. I really can't wait for this thing. So many ideas floating around in my head about flying this that the anticipation is killing me. I almost bought a z3 the other day after hearing that there was a little delay.

Off topic, but still ritewing related: is the z3 fast? +100mph fast? I need something faster than my current wing... Although it's been such a reliable and fun to fly beast for me and will never be retired as long as I can help it, I need a ship that's going to provide me with the speed I'm looking for at times.

What should I anticipate pulling with the Drak? It's pretty big... I imagine 80 - 90 mph top?

LVSloper
4th August 2015, 10:01 AM
My Z3 on the 1300kv motor running 10x7 prop pulled 116mph in a dive and 105 flat and level. The SSM only pulls 100 at 1200kv with the same prop.

Hoss
4th August 2015, 10:08 AM
My Z3 on the 1300kv motor running 10x7 prop pulled 116mph in a dive and 105 flat and level. The SSM only pulls 100 at 1200kv with the same prop.
You just cost me a lot of money. I thank you, my wife does not. Z3 build coming up :)

I would regard it as disrespectful to talk about other wings in this thread, and I'm still going to buy the z3 regardless, but if you think you know of another decently sized (+ 40 in.) wing suitable for high speed that doesn't need to be landed to battery swap every 15 minutes, please be so kind as to pm me with the name. I'm building an arsenal. Once my arsenal is complete, money will stop going to planes and start going to trips. I never knew the addiction would get this deep. It's a progressive disease.

tibor
4th August 2015, 10:27 AM
Ezikiel loves flight time questions. I'm glad you asked :)

He likes not to answer them? :)

cmarkussen67
4th August 2015, 11:34 AM
There is just no way I am investing in a 5S setup. I already have 6S batteries and the availability of 5S batteries is much more limited. I will go with a motor from another supplier.

Hoss
4th August 2015, 11:41 AM
He likes not to answer them? :)
I'm just busting chops. There was an obsession in another thread over flight times and it just never failed to be the most important question that every new owner asked. It got funny. Meme's were created.

tibor
4th August 2015, 11:59 AM
I'm just busting chops. There was an obsession in another thread over flight times and it just never failed to be the most important question that every new owner asked. It got funny. Meme's were created.

:) Ok
It is not the most important question for me. I'm just thinking if it is worth to calculate with 10,000 mAh or 8,000 mAh is enough.

Pushjerk
4th August 2015, 02:13 PM
On the battery argument, I was kinda digging on the idea of running my current 3S 8000s and 5000s in series, not having to squeeze further couple $100 into this project. But if 5S is gonna be the way of the world, so says St. Click after hours and hours of testing, and he gives it the omni domni, then so it shall be. I don't need two kidneys anyway.

Maj.Duty
4th August 2015, 02:18 PM
Regarding 5S vs. 6S, why could 5S be better? Weight?

tibor
4th August 2015, 02:26 PM
Regarding 5S vs. 6S, why could 5S be better? Weight?

I think because is it the most efficient setup right now for the Drak (as Chris already said)

Maj.Duty
4th August 2015, 02:37 PM
Couldn't you just throttle back on 6S, though?

If 5S is the sweet spot I'll go with that. It's just such an odd number. I've got 6S and 3S. So do the pilots I fly with. Nobody has 5S. Not yet anyway

tibor
4th August 2015, 02:43 PM
Couldn't you just throttle back on 6S, though?

If 5S is the sweet spot I'll go with that. It's just such an odd number. I've got 6S and 3S. So do the pilots I fly with. Nobody has 5S. Not yet anyway

He makes all the testing and have all the data so he has the reason why 5S. I also have only 3S and 4S so maybe I'll split in half a 4S and connect in series with a 3S :D

Hoss
4th August 2015, 02:43 PM
That can be asked about any series of battery really... Why not 10s? Sure, you could throttle back on 6s. But, if you want a plane with a normal throttle range that you don't have to manage or specifically program to not blow up, 5s is the ticket for this plane. You could probably get a big motor and run it on 4s if you really wanted to. I think originally Chris's plan was to throw the 4s ss motor in it, but the drak is just too big and too heavy for that setup, so jumped to 5s and moved on to a bigger motor to accommodate the bigger bird. I'm all 4s at the moment. Used to be all 3s. Looks like I'm moving to 5s. I'm all about increases in power and efficiency. If 5s is the way to get this plane to perform best, I'm in. Just my 2 cents though. And I'll only need to buy a few batteries... It's not going to require anything more than that to move into it.

Hmerly
4th August 2015, 03:00 PM
If you want to go 6s nothing's stopping you. Just use the appropriate motor, esc and props. Chris is just testing different options and letting you know the results. It doesn't mean what he finds is the only conclusion. This frame will work fine on 4s as well as 5s and 6s. There are so many combinations of motors props and esc that you can come up with your own power train that will work on this frame.

ginger1302
4th August 2015, 03:13 PM
I will have to buy some batteries either way. My 6s batteries are too small and I don't have enough 3s batteries of the same size to make it work for series in the capacity I would want. For me I would be doing lots of research on sizing to get it right for an airframe I have no experience with. Ill go with what he thinks on this. From the way he talks he is getting motors specially made for the drak. Thats worth the difference to me. Might not be if I already had the batteries to make it work. It all comes down to our own situation as to whether or not it works for us.

xmimx
4th August 2015, 05:57 PM
I would prefer 6S too. There is way more batteries choice in 6S and would even possible to use your 3S batteries in series... which is really not negligible.

ritewing
4th August 2015, 06:04 PM
I have a few more test 6s motors on the way, they are from another motor mfg I use to use. The 5s motor s are on the way.

Maj.Duty
4th August 2015, 06:05 PM
Anxiously awaiting all your test results. And thank you, btw

ritewing
4th August 2015, 06:20 PM
Anytime guys, the issue is that to get motors made to my spec you have to order 10 k $ min order of ea kv size.
And when 5s and 6s are so close in performance its hard to justify 20k $ for two kv sizes. I like 5s due to the one les cell and easier to have one single lighter battery, and the efficiency seemed to be almost dead on for what I have found on 6s so far.

One nice thing is I have a few motor mfg that I have done work with, I have one that will do smaller quantities and they have the capability to wind the kv I like for 6s in a small batch

So I will grab a few this eve, this mfg does not make a 3515 like the 5s motor is, it would be a 3520, slightly heavier but seem to work great, and if you mite be adding a cell, the weight wont be an issue.

The Drak is so versatile, I am trying to get the best most powerful efficient setup I can while giving you options.
I am trying!

xmimx
4th August 2015, 06:40 PM
Thx for all the great work Chris!

But that is also why, I think I can speak for most amongst us here, we are so happy to back you up in this wonderful project.

Let's us know if we can help you in any way.

ritewing
4th August 2015, 07:25 PM
Here is some insight for you guys ,I really appreciate the support from all you.
I am happy to do all of this.

You guys seem to be very patient with me and my writings too, I have had dyslexia my whole life so my writings may look jumbled to every one at times.
I see everything backwards so adjusting my writing has always been a battle for me, but I think knowing the planes is where I excel.

I always wonder if dyslexic people see thing forward and non dyslexic people are the ones who see things backwards,lol

Again, thnx everyone.

hjscm
4th August 2015, 08:14 PM
i haven't been following this thread because been super busy with work. i can not imagine this thing on 6s. i am flying one on 4s and it is a rocket.i am using 2 glacier 6000mah batteries and it just takes off like crazy. awesome job would love to see this on 6s then i can use all my batteries i have for my heli's.

Maj.Duty
4th August 2015, 08:24 PM
If 5S is deemed the right combo for this wing then I will buy that 5S combo and perhaps experiment on the side with a 6S set up later to satisfy my curiosity. Maybe remove all FPV gear and absolutely rip it LOS on 6S just for fun and amazement

HFMan
4th August 2015, 09:31 PM
I really want to make 6S work. I've got tons of 3300 and 5000 packs for my big 12S helis, would be great not to have to invest in yet another series of batteries that I won't be able to use on much of anything else.

epic4me
4th August 2015, 10:06 PM
Chris the 5s motor you sent me works also on 6s; on 5s worked good; my other Drak is still on 4s; need more power just switch to 6s and small prop

kross1
4th August 2015, 11:44 PM
I really want to make 6S work. I've got tons of 3300 and 5000 packs for my big 12S helis, would be great not to have to invest in yet another series of batteries that I won't be able to use on much of anything else.

^^what he said.

4 packs 5,000 mAh 3s, hook up in series
6 packs 2.200 mAh 3s, hook up in series

Willing to buy 5s if required, but 6s allows battery reuse.

ritewing
5th August 2015, 12:02 AM
Hi Epic4me,,,Yes it should work on 6s, it just will not be a super optimal amp draw with the smaller prop like it is with 5s and 11/7.

The 6s motors with the correct kv will love the 11/7 and be super efficient.

After testing many prop combos there is also a sweet size in prop size for the planes performance, all of the lines line up on the curve.

So far I have found the 11/7 to work the best for this wing span and wing loading.

Chris the 5s motor you sent me works also on 6s; on 5s worked good; my other Drak is still on 4s; need more power just switch to 6s and small prop

epic4me
5th August 2015, 12:07 AM
Will keep 5s and 11 prop, fly very nice and powerful

ritewing
5th August 2015, 12:14 AM
I went out today in 111 f and tried to burn the motor, I did a ton of high speed flying and vertical climbs.
I tried and tried, it just would not smoke the motor.

henkvdw
5th August 2015, 12:29 AM
Does 6S imply more performance than 5S or 4S? Didn't think so. Can someone with the technical wherewithall explain all of this.
To my understanding the advantage of higher cell count/voltage has always been in less loses due to lower currents required.
So to do the same work/performance on a lower cell count/voltage, is totally possible in a perfect world. One needs more current though and thus because of resistance, more current usually equates to less efficiency.
The best performance and efficiency however lies in the best matched power set. Exactly what Chris is doing with all the testing and experimenting. A well matched 5S battery, ESC, Motor and prop would easily deliver more power and efficiency than a not so well matched 6S set-up. Now if all the stars align and one could get a very good matching 6S setup and everything else are the same - it should theoretically have less losses than a 5S setup and thus be more efficient too.
So the consideration for 5S vs 6S is not power or efficiency in as much as it is the availability/economy of a given cell count pack and the amount of development that went into a given set-up getting it to be the best matched. So if one knows his stuff and can match all the components for a given cell count setup and have the time and money available to do so, by all means go for it. On the other hand Chris is doing all that testing and experimentation for us in the 5S set-up he already has and now seems to be working on 6S.
Personally I will run a 6S setup because of existing 3S and 6S packs in my fleet. I may get lucky and be efficient but will not be able to match Chris' performance and efficiency since my testing will be limited. It does not bother me that much though at this time since efficiency is not my main goal. Will be different for every individual though.

epic4me
5th August 2015, 12:34 AM
What I can say (I have 2 Drake) is that both fly beautifully; they are efficient; powerful and expensive lol

ritewing
5th August 2015, 12:40 AM
Plus one on all of that, and with that said that is exactly what I am doing.
I always try to find the rite mixtures of prop voltage and motor that fly the aircraft the best and well rounded.
I have had a very efficient 6s setup in the Drak, but for the weight of the cells and what it was doing it seemed to be almost dead on efficient as the 5s.

I just ordered some more custom winds in a 3520 to see if I can find even better for you guys who mite want to utilize your 6s packs.

If you guys saw my motor pile you would find hundreds of motors on my shelf's here in the shop.

cmarkussen67
5th August 2015, 02:08 AM
I don't understand the weight argument between 5S and 6S. For a given wing you want the batteries to contain a certain amount of energy (voltage × Ah) so if we are comparing say a 6000 mAh 5S battery then a 6S battery only needs 5/6 × 6000 = 5000 mAh for the same energy. A 6S 5000 mAh battery weights the same as a 5S 6000 mAh battery and since it has the same energy then it will have the same flight time if the efficiency is the same. Now higher voltage increases the efficiency so a 6S setup will be more efficient given the the motor kv is also scaled accordingly so that the prop turns at the same rpm.

So why don't we just go to 12S? Well the additiinal gain in efficiency would be marginal for this application and at least for me it becomes less practical and there is much more limited choices in ESCs that can handle 12S and also a motor with a kv low enough to make it work. One usually have to use an external BEC as well. So I think 6S is the way to go with respect to equipment availability and economics.

Christian

LVSloper
5th August 2015, 02:13 AM
You just cost me a lot of money. I thank you, my wife does not. Z3 build coming up :)

I would regard it as disrespectful to talk about other wings in this thread, and I'm still going to buy the z3 regardless, but if you think you know of another decently sized (+ 40 in.) wing suitable for high speed that doesn't need to be landed to battery swap every 15 minutes, please be so kind as to pm me with the name. I'm building an arsenal. Once my arsenal is complete, money will stop going to planes and start going to trips. I never knew the addiction would get this deep. It's a progressive disease.

Your welcome, I can't help myself either. I've never spent so much money on any hobby as I have on FPV. I was a "DS Junkie" two and half years ago; then FPV happened. Hi my name is Mike I am a "FPV Junkie".

This was our song for DS: http://yourlisten.com/jason969/ds-junky

Maj.Duty
5th August 2015, 02:57 AM
I was a "DS Junkie" two and half years ago...

I'll bite. What is DS? I'm going to guess you're not talking, Dark Souls? Which is one Awesome game, btw

Mcrock
5th August 2015, 05:05 AM
May I suggest why 5 s is a better option..

Let's take a 6 cylinder car and compare it against a 5 cylinder version.
I bet you will find the 5 cylinder version more effecient.

Less resistance mechanically.

Look at a 3 cell lipo compard to a two cell lipo..

The resistance on a three cell is a lot less but when you move to a 4 cell the resistance is a lot higher.
You loose some effects that the 3 cell provides over a 4 cell.
A four cell needs to drive a smaller prop.

5 cell puts you in the ball park of a 3 cell, just check out the different specs out there for the current electric rc engines currently for sale and relate battery size and prop size.

Compare that with specs of a 6 cell battery for the same engine.

Also a 6 cell is heavier, there is a point where battery weight can out weigh your benefits as well with the current Lipo tech.

Correct me if I wrong tho..

Looking from a more logical aspect here only.

M

Tomstoy
5th August 2015, 05:42 AM
All good stuff!

When will we see a video on the canards, and how does one set up canards, anyway? Sure hope you post a vid of both installation and programming?

cmarkussen67
5th August 2015, 06:25 AM
May I suggest why 5 s is a better option..

Let's take a 6 cylinder car and compare it against a 5 cylinder version.
I bet you will find the 5 cylinder version more effecient.

Less resistance mechanically.

Look at a 3 cell lipo compard to a two cell lipo..

The resistance on a three cell is a lot less but when you move to a 4 cell the resistance is a lot higher.
You loose some effects that the 3 cell provides over a 4 cell.
A four cell needs to drive a smaller prop.

5 cell puts you in the ball park of a 3 cell, just check out the different specs out there for the current electric rc engines currently for sale and relate battery size and prop size.

Compare that with specs of a 6 cell battery for the same engine.

Also a 6 cell is heavier, there is a point where battery weight can out weigh your benefits as well with the current Lipo tech.

Correct me if I wrong tho..

Looking from a more logical aspect here only.

M
The car engine analogy is not relevant for electrical systems, they are very different. In electrical systems you will always have less losses with higher voltages. That is why the electrical transmission systems operate with 1000's of volts. As an example, in China they are looking at installing a transmission line operating at over 1 million volts to reduce losses. The downside is that special and expensive equipment is needed to handle the voltage.

In this discussion the choice between 5S or 6S then the equipment is readily available so it is not a big point but but for a given amount of power the amps will be lower with a higher voltage system so you can potentially use a smaller ESC. This assumes that the kv for the 6S motor is 5/6 of the kv for the 5S motor in order to turn the prop with the same RPM. The same goes for the battery, the 6S battery should be 5/6 of the 5S mAh capacity for the same stored energy. By scaling the kv of the motor and the battery capacity (mAh) in this way then the 5S and 6S system will weight exactly the same, have the same power and speed with the same propeller but will have slightly better efficiency and thus slightly better flight times. The big upside is that there is a much better availability / choice of batteries and much better chance of using the batteries in other applications so the total cost will go down.

Christian

LVSloper
5th August 2015, 09:43 AM
I'll bite. What is DS? I'm going to guess you're not talking, Dark Souls? Which is one Awesome game, btw

Dynamic Soaring; world record currently at 505mph. https://youtu.be/r7gL9uA-McY

xmimx
5th August 2015, 09:49 AM
Sry to say but it has also the potential to be the world's most boring video.. Only thing I can see is a camera swinging from left to right with and 2 guys waiting for god's know what.

Are we supposed to see anything else?

c5galaxy engineer
5th August 2015, 09:57 AM
It is hard video to watch but you do see the airplane flying in the video?!?! It is moving pretty fast!!!

ritewing
5th August 2015, 10:00 AM
I have flown DS, to me it is incredibly boring to watch.It is a little more fun to fly. But going in circles fast does get old after a bit.

c5galaxy engineer
5th August 2015, 10:08 AM
I think the challenge in DS is not in the flying but in building a plane that can fly that fast. It is along the same thinking as building super scale R/C planes! I dont know though as I have not actually dabbled in DS. Fascinating machines though!

ritewing
5th August 2015, 10:13 AM
I agree

Hoss
5th August 2015, 10:26 AM
Obviously it's an acquired taste kind of thing, but to build a plane that can 1 - travel that fast, 2 - withstand the forces required to travel that fast under constant high-g maneuvers (going in a circle) without turning into match sticks or slipping into another dimension, and 3 - fly it that fast without burying it in the core of the earth or flinging it into space, takes a bit of talent. Boring for most, maybe... But im-fking-pressive? Certainly.

LVSloper
5th August 2015, 10:39 AM
65084Watching DS is pretty boring on video, when you are there in person it becomes both scary hair on your neck raised feeling. This is pure adrenaline rush stuff; as a pilot the object is to find the "fastest" line and observe the movements and reactions of the plane. You are reading the wind and feeling for that special line that will push the plane even faster. The plane are the strongest; slickest and fastest RC planes in the world and no engine required. The average 400mph circle will produce 50Gs of load and upper 450s on hard pulls is in the 70Gs. The guy in the video is considered one of the best RC pilots in the world; no gyro just cat like reflexes. Just imagine a 20-30lbs. carbon fiber plane traveling at 400-450mph and what it would do to the human body if they crossed paths. DS is one of those things that needs to be seen in person to appreciate.

c5galaxy engineer
5th August 2015, 11:48 AM
Obviously it's an acquired taste kind of thing, but to build a plane that can 1 - travel that fast, 2 - withstand the forces required to travel that fast under constant high-g maneuvers (going in a circle) without turning into match sticks or slipping into another dimension, and 3 - fly it that fast without burying it in the core of the earth or flinging it into space, takes a bit of talent. Boring for most, maybe... But im-fking-pressive? Certainly.
agreed……..love the descriptions BTW….core of the earth…..lmao!!

xmimx
5th August 2015, 12:14 PM
Don't understand me wrongly, it is just that I didn't see a think. Was there something flying? Though it was just a camera hanging on a rope and that was moving along with the wind. Perhaps the wind created by the plane that I didn't see because it was so fast :)

ritewing
5th August 2015, 12:17 PM
Ok, here is the part your missing.
Take for example the SS 1300 kv motor for the Z3 , I have motors from different manufactures with the exact same kv and spec as this SS 1300 kv .

Running these two different motors with same spec in the same plane produces completely un like results.
One cruises at 35 knots being managed mode from the autopilot at 7 amps AKA SS 1300, the other motor for some reason pulls 11 amps in the exact same situation , we do not use this motor, its is no Secret sauce!!!
I find this with many types and sizes of motors and manufactures.

Both motors have almost identical if not the exact spec with very different in flight results, this is what I am doing, finding the sweet spots.
You can calculate all day long and not find these.

Never have I found a motor calc is good for more than to find a starting base for testing to begin.

I have always done better than the math heads out there who want to calc everything.
My in field tweaking has always seemed to get me to places that are not clearly visible .
Math works to a point.

There is extra weight in the extra cells and packaging in these cells, so adding sells does add voltage but not always add up to be more efficient .I stop where I find that the weight causes inefficiency.

I don't understand the weight argument between 5S and 6S. For a given wing you want the batteries to contain a certain amount of energy (voltage × Ah) so if we are comparing say a 6000 mAh 5S battery then a 6S battery only needs 5/6 × 6000 = 5000 mAh for the same energy. A 6S 5000 mAh battery weights the same as a 5S 6000 mAh battery and since it has the same energy then it will have the same flight time if the efficiency is the same. Now higher voltage increases the efficiency so a 6S setup will be more efficient given the the motor kv is also scaled accordingly so that the prop turns at the same rpm.

So why don't we just go to 12S? Well the additiinal gain in efficiency would be marginal for this application and at least for me it becomes less practical and there is much more limited choices in ESCs that can handle 12S and also a motor with a kv low enough to make it work. One usually have to use an external BEC as well. So I think 6S is the way to go with respect to equipment availability and economics.

Christian

ginger1302
5th August 2015, 12:45 PM
Well I got two zippy 5s 4000s yesterday as a start. Ill stuff those in there and see how it goes. Is 8000mah a good starting point?

Maj.Duty
5th August 2015, 12:54 PM
.....Both motors have almost identical if not the exact spec with very different in flight results, this is what I am doing, finding the sweet spots.

Never have I found a motor calc is good for more than to find a starting base for testing to begin.

I have always done better than the math heads out there who want to calc everything.

That’s funny, because I’ve always felt the same way but was afraid to ever speak up about it because I didn’t have numbers on paper to back up any claims. I’m glad you said something, Chris, for my own peace of mind.

You can have all the numbers on paper you want and that might get you a good starting point as Chris said, but real world performance can have very different results as he is finding out. Maybe motor manufacturer A used a different type of manufacturing method or tolerances aren’t quite as tightly controlled as manufacture B and the end result is different performance regardless of what a calculator says.

I was/am running a prop on a certain motor because through flight testing I simply liked how it performed. Everybody was telling me I am going to burn up that motor, that it’s just not supposed to run that prop. They kept telling me the same thing – you’re going to burn up that motor. To this day, years later I’m still running that size prop on the exact same motor and I’ve always been amazed at how cool the motor always is after a flight and my flight times were measurable longer than similar set-ups in other planes but with components from a different manufacturer. So I wasn’t going to change a thing regardless of what the math heads were saying.

My point is, thanks, Chris. Since I don’t know any better I’m going to go with what you recommend through your testing….. but can you please find a good 6S option? lol

kross1
5th August 2015, 12:58 PM
That’s funny, because I’ve always felt the same way but was afraid to ever speak up about it because I didn’t have numbers on paper to back up any claims. I’m glad you said something, Chris, for my own peace of mind.

You can have all the numbers on paper you want and that might get you a good starting point as Chris said, but real world performance can have very different results as he is finding out. Maybe motor manufacturer A used a different type of manufacturing method or tolerances aren’t quite as tightly controlled as manufacture B and the end result is different performance regardless of what a calculator says.

I was/am running a prop on a certain motor because through flight testing I simply liked how it performed. Everybody was telling me I am going to burn up that motor, that it’s just not supposed to run that prop. They kept telling me the same thing – you’re going to burn up that motor. To this day, years later I’m still running that size prop on the exact same motor and I’ve always been amazed at how cool the motor always is after a flight and my flight times were measurable longer than similar set-ups in other planes but with components from a different manufacturer. So I wasn’t going to change a thing regardless of what the math heads were saying.

My point is, thanks, Chris. Since I don’t know any better I’m going to go with what you recommend through your testing….. but can you please find a good 6S option? lol

^^ what he said ^^

Hoss
5th August 2015, 01:10 PM
The math is dead on balls accurate when you're dealing with constants. If you're a physicist and are trying to shoot a dumpster to mars, math will take you all the way. If you're buying electronics from Chinese manufacturer's, math is as good as making shit up.

c5galaxy engineer
5th August 2015, 01:27 PM
Like DS some folks like the math of flight……..I am one of those guys as well……..huh, go figure, I became a flight engineer, but I don't have the patients you have Chris. I love hearing about your process and thank God you have the drive to do this testing. Great job bud!

cmarkussen67
6th August 2015, 02:59 AM
Ok, here is the part your missing.
Take for example the SS 1300 kv motor for the Z3 , I have motors from different manufactures with the exact same kv and spec as this SS 1300 kv .

Running these two different motors with same spec in the same plane produces completely un like results.
One cruises at 35 knots being managed mode from the autopilot at 7 amps AKA SS 1300, the other motor for some reason pulls 11 amps in the exact same situation , we do not use this motor, its is no Secret sauce!!!
I find this with many types and sizes of motors and manufactures.

Both motors have almost identical if not the exact spec with very different in flight results, this is what I am doing, finding the sweet spots.

My in field tweaking has always seemed to get me to places that are not clearly visible .
Math works to a point.

There is extra weight in the extra cells and packaging in these cells, so adding sells does add voltage but not always add up to be more efficient .I stop where I find that the weight causes inefficiency.
I appreciate what you are saying about testing and I agree that the specs do not tell the full story. There can be an appreciable difference between the stated spec and the actual and this is especially true when it comes to motor efficiency. Having said that I am certain that you can find a 6S motor with the same efficiency as the 5S and that the overall system will be slightly more efficient.

I think all of us really appreciate all the testing that you do so that we get the secret sauce without having to do the testing our self.

Christian

serac
6th August 2015, 02:11 PM
Being a shoot-a-dumpster-to-mars-with-math kind of guy, I have great respect for the empiricists like Chris. Chris' effort is what it takes to get optimal performance from relatively cheap parts (cheap, as in not MIL-spec, made in China).

Chris, I look forward to seeing your final results! You just sold me on whatever secret sauce combo you come up with.

Hoss
6th August 2015, 02:27 PM
Being a shoot-a-dumpster-to-mars-with-math kind of guy, I have great respect for the empiricists like Chris. Chris' effort is what it takes to get optimal performance from relatively cheap parts (cheap, as in not MIL-spec, made in China).

Chris, I look forward to seeing your final results! You just sold me on whatever secret sauce combo you come up with.
I am as well, and I do too. I was praising Chris. My point exactly was that rather than making everything look good on paper, he's out testing and pushing these motors to achieve the best combo, not arguing back and forth electrical efficiency theory about electronics with questionable specs to begin with. In simple terms: Chris testing = good, attempting to get surgical precision on paper out of loosely rated equipment = bad.

Maj.Duty
6th August 2015, 03:00 PM
And he Secret Sauce, I think, is made in America not China - not that there is anything wrong with that....

Hoss
6th August 2015, 03:22 PM
I'm not speaking per se about ritewing branded motors, just most rc equipment in general. When I get new stuff, which is probably way too often, I test it to see what I can / will get out of it. From transmission power levels to kv ratings, amp draw specs, c-ratings, really you name it... It's all mostly crap. I don't mean crap as in it doesn't apply at all, I mean there is rarely anything that I can find that has even close to a 5% +/- margin from what it's spec'd at. I run power combinations that are not supposed to work together based on manufacturers specs on paper, but they work great in the flesh. Certainly, if Chris can find the time to nail down his own motor on 6s and consistently produce them (which he would), fantastic. It's just tough to say anything with authority when we're dealing with, for the most part, a lot of unknowns with the equipment we use in general. Yes, the math works, and yes, I am a nerd too, but we're taking about mostly (not ritewing) the fruits of sloppy workmanship. I'm all about the 5s combo. Not because I think it's the best or that there isn't a possibility of something even better. It's just my own experience with similar platforms / power combos and it seems logical to me that this is going to work great. There's lots of ways to do lots of things... I just think the track he's on is a good one and every minute that can be taken to fine tune that creation, all the better. Plus the dudes got a ton on his plate with just trying to get what is currently in front of him hashed out and I don't see it to be productive to tell him he's doing the wrong thing or should be doing something else instead. But hey, I don't pretend to be anyone's life coach... so I'll just leave it there.

Word

xmimx
6th August 2015, 03:31 PM
I don't recall having read here that Chris is doing the wrong thing. We just might have suggested that we would be happy if he finds also a secret sauce motor with 6S as it would be more convenient and cheaper for us if we could reuse the packs we already have... You can see it also as an ecological step not having to buy new batteries... OK that one is perhaps a long shot :)

Hoss
6th August 2015, 04:03 PM
Yeah man, I've got a ton of 3s that have no social life any more. It would be nice to be able to give them a purpose again, for sure. What I wonder is if I'll be able to fit a single 8000 or if I'm going to have to split up into 2x 4000's, regardless of series. I usually pull 3 sessions when I go out, so that would mean 6 new guys. I guess either way I'm going to be laying down a couple more bills on this bird. This will be by far my most expensive setup, but damn is it going to be sweet...

Tomstoy
6th August 2015, 11:07 PM
Tell me about it,,, I'm considering adding the crossfire to this.

Hmerly
6th August 2015, 11:26 PM
Oh definitely. Just the foam + parts is 300, add in all the other gear - fpv, osd, autopilot, rcrx, etc - this thing is going to be a monster. Very costly and very scary if you lose it. I definitely will be putting a Crossfire in mine, along with whatever else is the latest and greatest. I think it deserves it. I've always put the best for the most part on my Ritewing planes. Truthfully, I find myself disappointed in most other frames that I tinker with as they almost always look bad when I compare them to my Zephyrs 2 and 3. I think with the Drak it'll be no different.

ritewing
6th August 2015, 11:34 PM
I will be getting a crossfire too eventually

epic4me
7th August 2015, 12:01 AM
I have a crossfire...jejeje

RonSII
7th August 2015, 12:03 AM
I have a crossfire...jejeje

yeah... and you probably have two drak's also ;)

xmimx
7th August 2015, 03:52 AM
Should I consider to move to US so I can also have everything in PRIME time?
Most frustrating fact is that the Drak will be mold n Germany which is 2 hour driving for me..but no, it is going to be shipped to US first and then back to me.
It will already have traveled around the world when I get it :)

Tomstoy
7th August 2015, 04:17 AM
Look at it as owning the Drak with the most air miles on it!

xmimx
7th August 2015, 04:23 AM
I'll ask my frequent flyer program if I can get award miles for it :)

ginger1302
7th August 2015, 05:43 PM
Any new videos yet.

epic4me
8th August 2015, 02:18 AM
yeah... and you probably have two drak's also ;)
Exactlyhttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/07/8b31d3328394065636dd915326b8d181.jpg

Tomstoy
8th August 2015, 03:43 AM
Can I fly the pretty one?

xmimx
8th August 2015, 05:28 AM
<code>
<function="mute">
<value="epic4me">
<reason="too many draks">
</code>

epic4me
8th August 2015, 11:46 PM
Can I fly the pretty one?
Both are pretty !!

Hmerly
8th August 2015, 11:54 PM
Heh, thats a fleet of warships

Tomstoy
9th August 2015, 05:50 AM
Both are pretty !!

Damn straight!

jrwperformance
10th August 2015, 04:37 AM
Anyone using a Uthere Ruby in the drak? Interested in how the canards will be controlled by the Ruby. I'll be using the Ruby from my Z2 when the drak comes out.

richardhageman74
10th August 2015, 06:01 AM
So Cris, any word on the ETA?

ritewing
10th August 2015, 11:55 AM
Hi Rich, here is a cut and paste from a few pages back.

Hey everyone, I just got word this AM, the tool maker said he would have the tool done for the last week of Sept.We are at the mercy of his schedule, the actual molder told me today that if that happens then they will immediately send me samples for approval.

The run is scheduled will be done late Sept or very early OCT if the molded parts look to be of the quality we need.
After they are run they will ship here in a container, I am told possibly two weeks after the parts are run that it would be mid to late Oct before they get here .

I am working on all the parts to kit this beast now so it will ship when they land here.

Yes we are a tad behind, but not by too much , it was not because of me.

I did get a side note from the molder that they were going to try to push it for faster production.
So I guess will see if they get it done sooner.

The Tool maker is the person who machines the mold, the molder has the factory that uses the tools in their machines to make the product for us, they are two different entities that work together.

Thnx for the support and patience guys, its rolling along with a tentative schedule from the molder now, that's awesome!!!

So Cris, any word on the ETA?

richardhageman74
10th August 2015, 01:03 PM
Thnx C.

Hoss
10th August 2015, 06:55 PM
Exactlyhttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/07/8b31d3328394065636dd915326b8d181.jpg

If only you could get that fleet in that configuration in the air... That would be one sick formation.

epic4me
11th August 2015, 12:55 AM
If only you could get that fleet in that configuration in the air... That would be one sick formation.
There are some guys i think in europe experimenting with a FC that fly multiple planes at same time; for me is difficult even to follow a plane ( tired eyes)

Pushjerk
11th August 2015, 01:51 AM
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/07/23/424685529/follow-the-leader-drones-learn-to-behave-in-swarms

Hoss
11th August 2015, 09:50 AM
There are some guys i think in europe experimenting with a FC that fly multiple planes at same time; for me is difficult even to follow a plane ( tired eyes)
That's nuts. I was more leaning towards you and 6 buddies. Surprised we haven't seen more of that type of "stunt" formation flying yet in fpv. Main screen with smaller screens inside showing side, rear, above and below views, allowing very close formation flying. Think blue angels with rc planes. Pretty nerdy, but would probably be pretty fun, especially with Draks that can drop half-sticks. That's a good idea for military... Mini carpet bombing sessions in confined areas where a hellfire would cause too much residual. I can't count how many times our requests for missile strikes were called off by apache pilots because civilians were in too close proximity to the friends we were trying to touch. I just now realized that my first sight of fpv was not while flying here... I remember one day we brought out this guy with a plane and a funky looking transmitter with a monitor on it to do some recon. He crashed it into the city less than a minute after getting in the air. We found it stashed in a bunker in some house a few months later. Wow... That was fpv...

Maj.Duty
11th August 2015, 12:45 PM
Cool story, Hoss

Maj.Duty
21st August 2015, 12:53 PM
*Crickets

henkvdw
21st August 2015, 01:48 PM
Here maybe but at RW a beehive.

Pookyjuice
21st August 2015, 02:06 PM
crickets are more nutritious.

Maj.Duty
21st August 2015, 02:14 PM
What is RW?

Hoss
21st August 2015, 02:15 PM
Unless we're taking honey. Honey is way higher on the nutritional scale than crickets.

Hoss
21st August 2015, 02:16 PM
What is RW?
Ritewing. The maker of all of the draks in this land.

ginger1302
21st August 2015, 03:06 PM
I wanna see more videos. I have to do my Drak flying vicariously thru others for now.

Maj.Duty
21st August 2015, 03:33 PM
"Ritewing. The maker of all of the draks in this land."

I thought that before my reply so I went there looking for a forum. I must have missed it as I didn't see any discussion threads on Chris' site. I'll look again. If there is a bee hive, I want in.

kross1
21st August 2015, 04:11 PM
I think the "beehive" meant Chris and team being busy preparing for the DRAKs.... all the Internet "buzz" is right here on FPVLab, not on Chris's website.

Shifteer
22nd August 2015, 12:13 PM
This appears to be the main thread so just stay tuned.

aaron_gx
24th August 2015, 11:39 AM
Ok, to somewhat silence the crickets, here is my Drak, run through Google's new "Deep Dream" server.

RonSII
24th August 2015, 12:13 PM
So, I take it you are using osdoge OSD.... and how do those custom wingtips work ;)

friesianflyer
24th August 2015, 12:13 PM
Ok, to somewhat silence the crickets, here is my Drak, run through Google's new "Deep Dream" server.

My eyes! My eyes!! :)

aaron_gx
24th August 2015, 09:55 PM
Lol the presence of dogs in Google's dream cycle are prominent. It's really messed up the photos beyond recognition, but that's what the computer thought about when it saw the drak. Strong dog presence with psychedelic over and undertones lol

ritewing
25th August 2015, 12:23 PM
Sorry guys I was back in VA at the Stone blue flying circus event.
I just got home, the suspense waiting for this mold is starting to take a toll on me,lol

Hobaoe
25th August 2015, 01:34 PM
hi chris, ive recently bought a zeph 2 from you, and the maiden didnt go as planned. when i launched it i could fly barely fly it, it was extremly hard to handle, it flew all over the place. i think i got the cg a bit wrong, so i crashed it ontop of a very high tree. havnt retrived it yet, cause the only way would be a chainsaw.

anyway, i figured ill try out the spade so i ordered it, and ill be getting it tomorrow. and i dont want this to happen again:)
so, what cg would you recomend starting at? and how much reflex? and starting at 10x6?

tibor
25th August 2015, 02:17 PM
hi chris, ive recently bought a zeph 2 from you, and the maiden didnt go as planned. when i launched it i could fly barely fly it, it was extremly hard to handle, it flew all over the place. i think i got the cg a bit wrong, so i crashed it ontop of a very high tree. havnt retrived it yet, cause the only way would be a chainsaw.

anyway, i figured ill try out the spade so i ordered it, and ill be getting it tomorrow. and i dont want this to happen again:)
so, what cg would you recomend starting at? and how much reflex? and starting at 10x6?

I'm not Chris but you can find everything here to built and setup the Z3:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?32564-New-Ritewing-Z3-S-build-info-thread
CG is in post#20

Hobaoe
25th August 2015, 02:38 PM
Thanks mate:)

tibor
25th August 2015, 02:53 PM
You are welcome :)

Shifteer
25th August 2015, 04:57 PM
Chris any decision on battery yet? Are we formal on 6S? They're tough to get in Canada, and almost impossible to get shipped.

ritewing
25th August 2015, 05:05 PM
My motor combo is based on 5s 5000 to 5s 9000 or so.

Shifteer
26th August 2015, 11:06 AM
So you're recommending top mah of 9k for SS?

ritewing
26th August 2015, 11:07 AM
No not necessarily, I'm just letting you know what I have run so far, I haven't loaded up to the max yet. I'm sure it could take more. But for FPV and fun flying, I don't see why you want to go more, so I have not tried it yet

Shifteer
27th August 2015, 09:29 AM
Sounds good thanks Chris.