PDA

View Full Version : What is a good way to mount the board camera in the camera pod?

Rockworthy
28th October 2014, 11:10 PM
I figured out that the board camera goes through the hole, and my board camera (Sony CC1526 from Surveilzone) fits in the pod just great. However what is your preferred way to mount the camera in the pod? My camera has a nice screw hole in each corner, that lines up with holes drilled in the middle wall of the camera pod, but man those would be some really long, really skinny screws (like 1.5mm wide by 16mm long). Did you find screws like that from a store somewhere? If so let me know. If not, I guess I could always just glue it in there, but I'd like to be able to remove the camera someday for troubleshooting or upgrading, without having to buy a whole new camera pod from you guys. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

bllama
29th October 2014, 08:04 AM
I figured out that the board camera goes through the hole, and my board camera (Sony CC1526 from Surveilzone) fits in the pod just great. However what is your preferred way to mount the camera in the pod? My camera has a nice screw hole in each corner, that lines up with holes drilled in the middle wall of the camera pod, but man those would be some really long, really skinny screws (like 1.5mm wide by 16mm long). Did you find screws like that from a store somewhere? If so let me know. If not, I guess I could always just glue it in there, but I'd like to be able to remove the camera someday for troubleshooting or upgrading, without having to buy a whole new camera pod from you guys. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Hey Rockworthy,

The little small screws should have been included on your camera pod kit, if they arent please PM me and Ill make sure you will get them. what we normally do is use the 2 screws on the lens mount the holes line up with the holes on the camera pod. (that is for the 32x32mm camera pod) for the pixim camera pod you use the 4 outside holes on the board. I will post some pictures in a couple of hours.

Rockworthy
29th October 2014, 12:46 PM
Pictures would be awesome thanks. And thanks for the quick response, jeese. Yeah I saw the little holes in the middle on either side of where the camera sensor housing can screw into, but those holes in the camera pod aren't complete holes. They are open on one side. They kind of resemble the symbol for an Ohm. I'm afraid to use those as the main supports for the camera. Using the 4 holes in the corners would be super-secure though.

bllama
29th October 2014, 01:16 PM
ok, here are some pics,
on the large camera pod the screws are inserted from the back of the camera towards the front, on the small pod the screws are from the front on the camera lens mount.

Large Pod
http://i.imgur.com/aI110La.jpg

Large Pod
http://i.imgur.com/Lcwz0uS.jpg

Small Pod
http://i.imgur.com/7FEb508.jpg

Let me know if any further questions.

Rockworthy
29th October 2014, 05:38 PM
Oh gosh thanks for the pictures! Now I see what the problem is: I have a large-size board camera but a small-size camera pod. I didn't know there were two different sizes to choose from. How do I get the large size pod?

Rockworthy
29th October 2014, 07:06 PM
Oh also, I noticed that if I use the three, nice screw holes to attach the camera pod to the CineTank chassis, the heads of the bolts interfere with the sliding tray that the GoPro sits on. Any way around that?

criccio
29th October 2014, 07:07 PM
What camera do you have? Have you trimmed the excess PCB off the sides?

bllama
29th October 2014, 07:08 PM
Lol, you use the same screws for the camera plate as for then camera pod :)

TalonSix
29th October 2014, 10:25 PM
Oh also, I noticed that if I use the three, nice screw holes to attach the camera pod to the CineTank chassis, the heads of the bolts interfere with the sliding tray that the GoPro sits on. Any way around that?

I would up drilling a new hole through the camera plate for the front single screw.

Rockworthy
30th October 2014, 02:42 AM
I would up drilling a new hole through the camera plate for the front single screw.

I was thinking of doing that too. The camera plate wouldn't slide anymore but maybe that's not such a bad compromise. I feel like I really do need 3 mounting points on the camera pod for it to be as strong as it should be. Ideally though there'd be a third slot in the middle of the camera plate, to accomodate the third screw that locates the camera pod.

Rockworthy
30th October 2014, 02:44 AM
Lol, you use the same screws for the camera plate as for then camera pod :)

Oh yeah?

Rockworthy
30th October 2014, 02:53 AM
I took some pictures of the nylon standoffs that came with the camera pod kit. I'd imagine you are supposed to attach them to the 4 corners of the board camera, and then screw down the other ends into the board camera mounting plate in the middle of the camera pod. Is that right? Or are you supposed to be able to screw in the 4 corners directly into the mounting plate with extra-long screws.... Either way the holes in the nylon standoffs are way bigger than the ones in my board camera so it would be ideal not to use them.

Also I need to order a camera mounting pod that is designed for the larger, 32x32 size board cameras. How can I order one? Was both large and small sizes supposed to come in the camera pod kit?

bllama
30th October 2014, 07:44 AM
Oh yeah?

Yes, you do need the 3 mount points for sure, go ahead and drill the middle hole.
We released new camera plates that have all 3 slotted holes.

Rockworthy
31st October 2014, 02:35 PM
Yes, you do need the 3 mount points for sure, go ahead and drill the middle hole.
We released new camera plates that have all 3 slotted holes.

What are the nylon stand-offs in the camera pod kit for anyways?

bllama
3rd November 2014, 10:03 AM
What are the nylon stand-offs in the camera pod kit for anyways?

they are to install the Pod down lower

Rockworthy
3rd November 2014, 03:42 PM
they are to install the Pod down lower

Oh okay cool. Also, just out of curiosity, my camera pod kit came with like 20 extra screws. That's great and everything, but since I only need to use 3 of them, are all those extra ones just in case I keep losing them? Seems like you guys could save some money by just giving me like 2 extra ones. I appreciate all the other extra screws but FlyingCinema could save some cash by not giving me all those.

bllama
3rd November 2014, 03:44 PM
Oh okay cool. Also, just out of curiosity, my camera pod kit came with like 20 extra screws. That's great and everything, but since I only need to use 3 of them, are all those extra ones just in case I keep losing them? Seems like you guys could save some money by just giving me like 2 extra ones. I appreciate all the other extra screws but FlyingCinema could save some cash by not giving me all those.
Thank you for the heads up. It should have like 1 or 2 spares of each.

Rockworthy
4th November 2014, 01:15 AM
Thank you for the heads up. It should have like 1 or 2 spares of each.

Ah ha. I knew something wasn't quite right there.

LVNeptune
6th November 2014, 08:44 PM
Hey Rockworthy,

The little small screws should have been included on your camera pod kit, if they arent please PM me and Ill make sure you will get them. what we normally do is use the 2 screws on the lens mount the holes line up with the holes on the camera pod. (that is for the 32x32mm camera pod) for the pixim camera pod you use the 4 outside holes on the board. I will post some pictures in a couple of hours.

Heh. Wish I knew this 3+ months ago when I ordered a pod. I ended up having to use a drill on the camera to make the holes slightly bigger because my LH(ardware)S didn't have anything that small and long.

bllama
6th November 2014, 09:01 PM
Heh. Wish I knew this 3+ months ago when I ordered a pod. I ended up having to use a drill on the camera to make the holes slightly bigger because my LH(ardware)S didn't have anything that small and long.

let me know next time

Rockworthy
8th November 2014, 04:11 AM

Ha ha, yep, I did the same thing. I used a dremel tool and a tiny little router bit to bore the screw holes out a little bit wider to accomodate the skinny little screws I found at the local hardware store. Were super thin, super long screws supposed to be in the camera pod kit?

bllama
8th November 2014, 10:16 AM
Ha ha, yep, I did the same thing. I used a dremel tool and a tiny little router bit to bore the screw holes out a little bit wider to accomodate the skinny little screws I found at the local hardware store. Were super thin, super long screws supposed to be in the camera pod kit?
Yes they should be. take a couple of pics and post them