PDA

View Full Version : Do my components look like they're in the right place?

Rockworthy
28th October 2014, 02:58 AM
Hi guys. I am uploading some pictures I took of my Cinetank, showing my proposed placement of all my electronics. I wanted to run the layout by the good folks at FlyingCinema, as well as the usual highly-experienced people at FPVlab. Does anyone see any major problems with my layout? Is there anything touching that absolutely shouldn't be right next to each other? (sorry for the crappy arrows and lame labels on stuff. I had to use a stupid trackpad).

Also to note: I'm using an incredibly well-shielded cable to carry the video signal around, and the RC receiver is on the 2.4GHz band.

juanej
28th October 2014, 03:06 AM
Put the GPS in a pole, get the vtx near the camera, receiver in the back, etc.

yamahabest
28th October 2014, 03:15 AM
Why have Telemetry when you already have an OSD onboard?

Matt-
28th October 2014, 04:37 AM

Mission debugging, direct data control of missions, an easy way to find lost airframes, etc, etc.

HFMan
28th October 2014, 10:19 AM
You have a lot of stuff up on top that is exposed in a crash- these things tend to end up on their lid in a fair number of incidents. The only thing I have on top is the gps (flat mounted, no tower.) Looks like it might be on the heavy side, but looks like you have a few more components. I run a small 3S battery for video- this eliminates the 12V BEC and LC Filter and you never have to worry about noise getting into the video, but that's a personal choice.

Rockworthy
28th October 2014, 07:52 PM

2 reasons actually: Redundancy in case I lose the OSD data in flight, and so I can use the mission planner software to see real-time flight data, see the location of the drone on a map, etc.

Rockworthy
28th October 2014, 08:00 PM
Put the GPS in a pole, get the vtx near the camera, receiver in the back, etc.

I was hoping not to have to use a pole. Tougher that way. My feeling is that positioned where it is, it's far enough away from the other stuff that putting it on a pole wouldn't matter. As to the other changes, why would you do it that way? I tried to have the items that make noise next to transmitters, and things that receive signals next to each other. My understanding is that you put noisy things like BECs and transmitters as far away from things that receive like GPS, and RC receivers.

juanej
28th October 2014, 08:04 PM
I was hoping not to have to use a pole. Tougher that way. My feeling is that positioned where it is, it's far enough away from the other stuff that putting it on a pole wouldn't matter. As to the other changes, why would you do it that way? I tried to have the items that make noise next to transmitters, and things that receive signals next to each other. My understanding is that you put noisy things like BECs and transmitters as far away from things that receive like GPS, and RC receivers.
Trust me, use a pole, there's one you can retract for transport and that's what I use, problem with gps us it has to be above props horizon level

bllama
28th October 2014, 09:21 PM
If you can try to get the Vtx out that box, that is extra weight you will not want. (I have always flown with out a cooling box the same transmitter). Also you really need a GPS pole specially with that many antennas

Rockworthy
28th October 2014, 10:52 PM
If you can try to get the Vtx out that box, that is extra weight you will not want. (I have always flown with out a cooling box the same transmitter). Also you really need a GPS pole specially with that many antennas

Great thanks guys and gals. I ordered the 3DRobotics GPS mast just now.

TalonSix
29th October 2014, 10:31 PM

I had the exact same Pixhawk setup as you on my AP tank with the GPS flat on the top plate between the RX and the VTX. While it looked awesome, it seemed to take a good 30 seconds on power up to get a solid 3D GPS lock, so this past weekend I put it on the 3DR retractable mast. Wow! What a difference a few inches makes (something my exes said a lot, but I digress). I'm now getting lock on powerup in less than 10 seconds, 12 satellites locked in flight, and Loiter mode is completely solid.

So while I agree that it looks better with the GPS flat mounted, my recommendation is to put on the mast so the GPS is exactly where it needs to be.

TalonSix
29th October 2014, 10:42 PM
Old configuration
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3956/15639747146_158741fa1a.jpg

New configuration
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7552/15476847239_a6a74c02c3.jpg

TalonSix
29th October 2014, 10:48 PM
Also just food for thought: note where I mounted the 3DR telemetry radio. It fits perfectly in that location. That and my MinimOSD is attached to the underside of the top plate above the FC near the right side of the aircraft. This way I can still get at the six pin input to do configuration updates to the OSD.

There's no one right way to set these up. My configuration you see above just works extremely well for me.

Rockworthy
30th October 2014, 03:05 AM
Also just food for thought: note where I mounted the 3DR telemetry radio. It fits perfectly in that location. That and my MinimOSD is attached to the underside of the top plate above the FC near the right side of the aircraft. This way I can still get at the six pin input to do configuration updates to the OSD.

There's no one right way to set these up. My configuration you see above just works extremely well for me.

I totally love the way you have things set up. Could I get more pictures? The picture doesn't zoom when I click on it so I can't see the exact placement of things. Maybe PM me the higher-res versions or something? I would really appreciate it. I like what you've done here. And I'm surprized you were able to tuck the minimOSD right above the Pixhawk because it doesn't seem like there's any room! Also speaking of room, where are your BECs to power 12V and 5V?

Matt-
30th October 2014, 03:12 AM
I totally love the way you have things set up. Could I get more pictures? ?

Seconded.

It's a great setup and looks to almost identically match what I plan to do. Subject to ministry of home affairs & finance approval, of course.

TalonSix
30th October 2014, 07:10 AM
Thanks guys. I'll get some more detailed pictures and get them posted in a separate standalone thread tonight.

Toysrme
2nd November 2014, 11:01 AM
rocky looks fine. my 4s tank has the gps/mag on the frame, my 6s one has it on a standoff. never had a glitch on either. i would suggest moving your pixhawk a half a case length forward so you can stuff longer batts in it and have the batts stay inside the frame.

Rockworthy
3rd November 2014, 03:46 PM
rocky looks fine. my 4s tank has the gps/mag on the frame, my 6s one has it on a standoff. never had a glitch on either. i would suggest moving your pixhawk a half a case length forward so you can stuff longer batts in it and have the batts stay inside the frame.

Thanks for the tip I might do that. Speaking of batteries, I can velcro the batteries in there all day, but is there a better/more secure way to do it than velcro straps through the frame holes? I'm a little worried that in a hard crash the battery might slide forward really hard and wipe out the PixHawk.

bllama
3rd November 2014, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the tip I might do that. Speaking of batteries, I can velcro the batteries in there all day, but is there a better/more secure way to do it than velcro straps through the frame holes? I'm a little worried that in a hard crash the battery might slide forward really hard and wipe out the PixHawk.
Use 2 standoffs forward of the battery to stop it from going forward. Then strap the battery vertically, it will never come out that way and it will not bump the fc

Rockworthy
3rd November 2014, 05:20 PM
Use 2 standoffs forward of the battery to stop it from going forward. Then strap the battery vertically, it will never come out that way and it will not bump the fc

Thanks Llama, great tips I will do that!