PDA

View Full Version : ezOSD not finding any sattelites

FinalFrag
22nd January 2012, 09:40 AM
Hi,

I bought an ezOSD 2nd hand a few days ago. Today I finally got around to installing it in my ez*2 but it can't lock onto any sattelites :(

I've tried it outside, inside, in front of the window. I've searched the forums but I can only find 1 guys that got a lock after several minutes and one guy that got sent a new one.

I have the 100A 10hz version and I've already updated to the latest firmware (1.14 with the font).

The sattelite board is inside the shrinkwrap and its view to the sky is not obscured...

FinalFrag
22nd January 2012, 09:44 AM
Ok, after about 5 minutes, I got 4 sats in front of the window. I put it outside and now its alternating between no sats, 3 sats, 4 sats. But the ACQUIRING SATELLITES message is never going away. Most of the time I have 0 sats, just dots.

Could this be because it is windy and cloudy?

londonguy
22nd January 2012, 09:59 AM
Where is the OSD located in your plane? Is it next to your VTX or ESC? Are you keeping your control TX away from the plane when trying to get a lock?

I initially had this problem to and I just moved the OSD away from esc and other electronics and also my TX interferes with the signal too. Now I get a full sat lock in maybe 30-45 seconds?

FinalFrag
22nd January 2012, 10:17 AM
The vtx is on the tail, on the tail fin there is the spektrum sat receiver.

On top of the plane is the esc, on the nose is the cam

In the hull is the gyro, lights control box, the ezosd + curr sensor. The receiver sits right next to the ezosd.

In the picture, the ezosd is tilted a bit, but I had it pushed down flat right next to the receiver

Freshmint
22nd January 2012, 10:21 AM
Ok, after about 5 minutes, I got 4 sats in front of the window. I put it outside and now its alternating between no sats, 3 sats, 4 sats. But the ACQUIRING SATELLITES message is never going away. Most of the time I have 0 sats, just dots.

Cloud and wind shouldnt be a problem my car gps work fine in those conditions.

ImmersionRC
22nd January 2012, 03:18 PM
When testing outside, ensure that you have nothing around you. If you are just outside a building, the building blocks 1/2 the sky, which, depending upon where the GPS sats are at the time, could be a problem.

The tiny GPS modules used in most OSDs struggle with the RF sources around them, especially the powerful VTXs that we use. Expecting them to work inside, or outside with most of the sky blocked, is asking too much.

Go out in the middle of a field, where you would normally fly, and see how it does. If it doesn't get a lock there, we need to look at other causes.

HigHnMighty
22nd January 2012, 03:52 PM
spektrum? for fpv? please post the crash photos. ;)

FinalFrag
22nd January 2012, 07:09 PM
I dont get what all that fuzz is about, I havent had any bad stuff happening while fpving with spektrum.

But anyways... Ezuhf is on its way to me :-)

FinalFrag
22nd January 2012, 07:12 PM
I did try it outside in the field btw... Was alot better, I got about 5 sats in a minute or 2... The message stayed on the screen though, how many sats are required to get rid of the message ?

Freshmint
22nd January 2012, 10:30 PM
I did try it outside in the field btw... Was alot better, I got about 5 sats in a minute or 2... The message stayed on the screen though, how many sats are required to get rid of the message ?

I would like to know also!

Ian Davidson
23rd January 2012, 04:39 AM
Page 11 in the manual chaps...

"2. Power up FPV equipment, and wait for ‘Acquiring Satellites’ to disappear (6 satellites required to fly)"

Freshmint
23rd January 2012, 07:14 PM
Frag were you able to get 6 sats by waiting longer?

FinalFrag
23rd January 2012, 07:29 PM
The weather was perfect when i was at work but by the time i got home it was raining and it hasnt stopped all day :-( so i havent tested anymore. I was able to get 5 yesterday so i think being on my usual flying field (instead of in my back yard) will gt me 6 sats.

My ezuhf and antenna tracker + pod have left the US today with ups express shipping... It should be here by wednesday, I'll do some more tests this weekend if the weather clears up...

khaled_abobakr
29th January 2012, 02:42 PM
Hi

1-Make sure the GPS receiver is located as far away from the VTX as possible
2-Make sure you have Ferrite rings installed next to the VTX and the camera
3-Make sure you put a Ferrite ring right next to the GPS receiver
4-Make sure you arrange your wires in a way that separate the noisy wires from your noise-sensitive wires...

The ESC/Battery/Motor cables are noisy high current cables... separate them from your video and GPS reciever cables

5- Twist all cables in your plane .. it will help very much avoid interference
6- Remove the GPS receiver from the EZ-OSD main board carefully and use the extension cable ( you may want to lengthen it even more) so you can fix the GPS receiver away from the VTX

Khaled