PDA

View Full Version : How do you replace a motor easily?

bocikt
26th August 2014, 10:33 PM
I am having trouble with either an ESC or a motor. I hope it is not the ESC because I don't want to tear my tank totally apart. The company that sold me my motors and ESCs told me that it is probably the motor (crossing my fingers).

What is the best way to take just one arm off without taking the whole bottom plate off? I wanted to ask for advice before going into unnecessary tear-down mode.

Thanks in advance

starvinmrvn
27th August 2014, 10:04 AM
I am having trouble with either an ESC or a motor. I hope it is not the ESC because I don't want to tear my tank totally apart. The company that sold me my motors and ESCs told me that it is probably the motor (crossing my fingers).

What is the best way to take just one arm off without taking the whole bottom plate off? I wanted to ask for advice before going into unnecessary tear-down mode.

Thanks in advance

How are your motors attached to the ESC? I would guess you are going to have to pull it all apart.

You could likely detach the clean from the dirty and then take out the one boom and cut the wires there and resolder your new motor wires and send through the boom.

A very low powered electric screw driver really makes working on the Tank go by really fast. But I feel your pain. I have had to replace esc before.

bocikt
27th August 2014, 10:47 AM
The good news is that I put bullet connectors between the ESCs and the motors. Do you really have to pull it all a part just to replace a boom (or a motor on the end of a boom)?

starvinmrvn
27th August 2014, 10:52 AM
The good news is that I put bullet connectors between the ESCs and the motors. Do you really have to pull it all a part just to replace a boom (or a motor on the end of a boom)?

Having trouble wording a response that won't sound rude. . . but if you built the quad surely you can figure out how to remove a boom.

I do not think you can get to the screws holding the boom clamps to the Dirty Section without first taking the clean section off. You do not have to take the clean section apart. . .just take if off of the dirty section. Once the clean section is loose you can then just take off the one boom / motor you need.

That assumes you can still get to the bullet connectors that are shoved up inside the dirty section.

bocikt
27th August 2014, 12:23 PM
No offense taken at all. Thanks for your responses. Other quads that I have built were not as contained as this one is.

One of my other concerns is that if I break a boom in the field, then you have to pull the whole thing apart to fix. I bought a couple of other booms for this reason. However, it sounds like if this happens I will have to call it a day and go home to fix it.

starvinmrvn
27th August 2014, 01:08 PM
I would call it a day if it was mine. That's why you bring multiple quads!

7sudden
27th August 2014, 01:44 PM
I would be prepared to cut/solder wires, remove loctite, etc. Make sure you label your wires too

Scotttu
27th August 2014, 02:40 PM
What they said, I just took an ESC out ot verify programming (I did not have to do this.

Trust me when I say this, it's FAR easier to take the 8 bobbins and 4 screws out to separate the cl ean plate from the dirty plate than it is to mess around trying to access screws thr ough the top holes (although you can if you have no gear covering those holes as I do).

It'll take you 10 minutes to put that part back together. Once you have clean/dirty removed take the 4 screws out for that arm, *MAYBE* THE screw behind it on the vertical standoff and gently lift and pull the arm out, although disconnecting bullet connectors will be difficult wit hout labelling them.

And if you are like me, you probably put heat s h rink over the bullet connectors to keep them from separating in mid air.
So for *that*, take the other half off as well so you get some flexibility in it.

I had my entire dirty plate top off last night and it's a cluster trying to put it all back together but it can be done if you have patience and do one corner at a time, *then* re-insert the vertical supports and then snug everything down.

The other option is....Run it till it fails. In my case it was a br ake enabled on the ESC so the back right motor faltered every time I let off the gas...

I should have uploaded a photo of it whe nI had it torn down :D - standbye I can do that from my phone.

http://www.tngbbs.com/photo/rc/Cinetank/RunTest.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/28/aga6anev.jpg

Beachflyer
27th August 2014, 09:35 PM
The best solution (which has already been stated) is to mount all equipment in the dirty section on the bottom side of the top plate of the dirty section. Then everything can be accessed or changed by just removing the bottom dirty plate.

Scotttu
28th August 2014, 09:05 AM
The best solution (which has already been stated) is to mount all equipment in the dirty section on the bottom side of the top plate of the dirty section. Then everything can be accessed or changed by just removing the bottom dirty plate.

That's the best build solution for sure but you'll still end up in the same boat with 4 arms dangling and then it becomes a nightmare trying to turn everything upside down to put the arms back in.
I found when putting the arms back in you just have to choose one corner and start there, then put vertical pieces in, then work around tucking wires and putting screws back in.

I had mine apart last night replacing that ESC, 20-30 mins tearing it down, 20-30 mins putting it back together.

I also found that taking off the printed plastic pieces helped a lot, nuts were spinning in there so now I just have a flat bottom.

landshark77
28th August 2014, 07:19 PM
No offense taken at all. Thanks for your responses. Other quads that I have built were not as contained as this one is.

One of my other concerns is that if I break a boom in the field, then you have to pull the whole thing apart to fix. I bought a couple of other booms for this reason. However, it sounds like if this happens I will have to call it a day and go home to fix it.

I can attest that a broken boom does not have to end your day of flying. I have experience in that area, twice actually. Total fix time, including changing out 4 props, was around 20 minutes. The tank was built in such a well thought out way that on field repairs are not really too difficult, the fasteners are easy to get to if needs be. I reallllyyy hope I didn't jinx myself, finally had a crash free day yesterday.

starvinmrvn
28th August 2014, 07:27 PM
Lol. Anyone drilling their own booms?

Beachflyer
28th August 2014, 07:39 PM
I've done some 212's. They didn't drill smooth, I had to clean them up after drilling.
Little raised edges around the hole, trimmed with razor blade.

Beachflyer
28th August 2014, 07:50 PM
That's the best build solution for sure but you'll still end up in the same boat with 4 arms dangling and then it becomes a nightmare trying to turn everything upside down to put the arms back in.
I found when putting the arms back in you just have to choose one corner and start there, then put vertical pieces in, then work around tucking wires and putting screws back in.

I had mine apart last night replacing that ESC, 20-30 mins tearing it down, 20-30 mins putting it back together.

I also found that taking off the printed plastic pieces helped a lot, nuts were spinning in there so now I just have a flat bottom.

I just find it easier to not have to remove the clean section from the dirty section because of wiring going between the two.
Just pop the bottom plate off and change a motor. The wires from the motors on the inside of the dirty section are a pain, but I trimmed mine after several disassemble/assemble forays. Not so bad now. Truth be told, after you disassemble/assemble a bunch of times it gets quicker and easier anyway.

bllama
3rd September 2014, 11:35 PM
I just saw this

If you remove the screws of the one corner only (the broken arm) and the M3x 8mm consecutive screw on the 25mm standoff. You can bend the plate up or down and remove the broken arm> pull the wires out and pop the new arm back in.
let me know if next time that works.
it takes about 5 min.