PDA

View Full Version : TBS ESC too hot

bobabuy1956
14th August 2014, 04:25 PM
I have had my tbs for just over a year now, and havn't had many issue that wern't my own fault lol

But I have the TBS 30smp bullet proof esc's and the 750kv tbs motors. I have just recently switched from 9 inch groupners to 10inch groupners and having been flying for over a month with them. just recently rebuilt the entire craft and took off about 30% of the weight so it's much lighter now. But I noticed today that one of my ESC was very hot just from sitting on my bench while I was working on it. I know they heat up from just sitting there while plugged into but this one was very hot. Thought it was an anomaly and went out and flew, and after one battery this ONE eas was very hot again. none of the other were barley hot, and all of the motors were just barley warm to the touch but this one esc was Very hot, I couldn't keep my hand on it for more than a sec or so. So I'm thinking I should replace it it's just going bad?

Trappy
14th August 2014, 10:42 PM
yes this indeed is not good i strongly suggest to get a replacement. one thing you can try is to move the hot esc over to another motor just to surely isolate the problem to the ESC

bobabuy1956
15th August 2014, 07:50 AM
Thanks always nice to see a response direct from the owner. I have already ordered a new esc from getfpv, and will switch back to some 9inch props and move that esc to another motor and try to keep an eye on it. no high flying till i get that replaced.

yes this indeed is not good i strongly suggest to get a replacement. one thing you can try is to move the hot esc over to another motor just to surely isolate the problem to the ESC

bobabuy1956
15th August 2014, 11:06 AM
So what if per chance.... The positive cable coming from the servo lead from the ESC was cut becuase people say you dont need to supply power to your flight controller with it anymore. And per chance this said lead was not hot glued like the rest of the 5volt cables and per chance some wires were sticking out and touching something metal......

would that cause and esc to go crazy with heat? :( I suck cable has been secured have not tested it though.

Thanks always nice to see a response direct from the owner. I have already ordered a new esc from getfpv, and will switch back to some 9inch props and move that esc to another motor and try to keep an eye on it. no high flying till i get that replaced.

bobabuy1956
15th August 2014, 02:28 PM
yes I do belive an shorted out 5v servo wire was casuing my esc to heat up now all seems fine and I have an extra esc now :)