PDA

View Full Version : Z60 dual spar midair split

Mroizo01
7th July 2014, 06:01 PM
I have always read about this but never thought it would happen to me... Never say never. I took this Z60 out for its maiden, after 10 minutes of trimming and flying around half throttle I started to move towards full throttle and thats when it all went down... literaly lol

After climbing to around 300ft I dove down and it brokeup about 100ft off the ground before I actualy started pulling out of the dive.

First thoughts are it got going too fast since it has a thinner profile and no blunt section?

I flew my Z2 in the same manner without issues but it is thicker and has a blunt front end so maybe that restricts speed just enough to keep it together ?

I was using a 1200kv OS motor and 10x6 prop

stuweep
7th July 2014, 06:16 PM
What glue did you use to secure the toughbay?

Mroizo01
7th July 2014, 09:27 PM
gorilla glue

Hmerly
7th July 2014, 11:00 PM
I've done dives from 10k ft to 500 ft without problems. Although not full throttle, but at least half all the way. The wing didn't have any problems. Mines had a homemade wooden battery bay, didn't have tough stuff when I built my z60. Very surprised yours broke up that way in the air on such a short dive. Maybe not enough gorilla glue? From pic it looks like it didn't rip where tough bay meets foam though can't be sure from pic.

Mroizo01
8th July 2014, 11:58 AM
it ripped about 1" away from where the tough bay meets the foam