PDA

View Full Version : Afro brand SimonK-flashed 30A ESCs from HobbyKing

Rockworthy
25th June 2014, 04:06 PM
Okay so I did some searching about these Afro ESCs, and people really like them and they should be perfect for the Cinetank. I have a question about the .5A linear BECs in them though. Of course, .5A isn't enough current to reliably power the flight controller with all it's peripherals plugged in, but it doesn't have to, because the FC should have it's own power coming from elsewhere anyways. You have 4 of these ESCs so you'd think with them all plugged in they would automatically be wired in parallel and providing 2A of current all together. This is wrong though as from what I've read, it doesn't work that way with the electronics in these ESCs. So, the rational thing to do is to not use the red power wire from the ESCs. You simply unclip the power wire from the wire lead, fold it back against itself and tape it down with electrical tape. Problem solved.

However my question is: since this is a linear BEC, will the BEC still be creating any heat, even if it's not plugged into anything? It seems like it wouldn't, but I would like to be sure. If it's still creating that nasty heat that linear-style BECs are famous for, I would like to avoid the Afro ESCs and use ones with switching-style BECs built in instead.

terabyte
25th June 2014, 04:41 PM
You have 4 of these ESCs so you'd think with them all plugged in they would automatically be wired in parallel and providing 2A of current all together?
-It depends on the flight controller is the real answer. But you dont want to do this even if you could...
You simply unclip the power wire from the wire lead, fold it back against itself and tape it down with electrical tape.
-YEP
However my question is: since this is a linear BEC, will the BEC still be creating any heat?
Yep. They still have to turn the extra voltage into heat.

All the being said, I have afro escs without another BEC for my flight controller, both with Naze32 and CC3D.

Rockworthy
26th June 2014, 01:28 AM
You have 4 of these ESCs so you'd think with them all plugged in they would automatically be wired in parallel and providing 2A of current all together?
-It depends on the flight controller is the real answer. But you dont want to do this even if you could...
You simply unclip the power wire from the wire lead, fold it back against itself and tape it down with electrical tape.
-YEP
However my question is: since this is a linear BEC, will the BEC still be creating any heat?
Yep. They still have to turn the extra voltage into heat.

All the being said, I have afro escs without another BEC for my flight controller, both with Naze32 and CC3D.

Hmm, interesting. So if you don't have another, separate BEC giving power to the flight controller, does that mean that you use just one of the BEC power leads from one of the ESCs, and leave the other 3 leads from the ESCs disconnected?

RonSII
26th June 2014, 02:01 AM
If the bec in one of the esc's has sufficient power to cover the fc then yes just use one of the bec red wires and tape the rest. the linear regulators will only create heat from power lost when drawing through it, so if there is no draw on the bec there will be no heat from the power drop.

Deadstick
5th July 2014, 09:43 PM
Or, just plug 'em all in. That's what I did, timecop approved. If they were switching, you would have an issue. Linear, not so much.

criccio
5th July 2014, 09:59 PM
Or, just plug 'em all in. That's what I did, timecop approved. If they were switching, you would have an issue. Linear, not so much.

This. .5A is more than enough for an acro flight controller and there's no need to disconnect all but 1 of the power wires. I'm not sure why people say to do that.. Completely unnecessary.