PDA

View Full Version : Motors overheating

fender21
29th May 2014, 11:17 PM
Hi All,
I have a new tank build and got in a little longer test flight today (around 3 minutes) as I was testing to make sure everything looked good after receiving my new 4S 4000mah batteries. I noticed that my back motor (to the right of battery) is way to hot to the touch. The other 3 are warm but nothing like this back one. I'm running DJI 2216/920kv motors w/ DJI 8in props. I noticed I have some YAW issues as the tank is slightly rotating counter clockwise. Could this YAW issue be the culprit to this one hot motor? I'm not sure what to do here other than start stripping down things and rotating motors to try and confirm the issue. It's not exactly easy to rotate the motors without alot of work :-)

Any tips or ideas on how I can isolate this issue would be helpful. I knew these motors were underpowered but the tank flies well for the 3 minutes I had it up. That heat on the one motor is going to lead to some tears unless I can figure it out.

terabyte
30th May 2014, 01:16 AM
I have some YAW issues as the tank is slightly rotating counter clockwise. Could this YAW issue be the culprit to this one hot motor?

That could deff give you one motor running hotter than the others. I think asking the stock dji motors which i think are 2212 not 2216 to carry the 4000mah lump is a little too much. I believe with 9" and like a 3000mah battery it would actually fly really nice, after you fix the yaw issue :)

fender21
30th May 2014, 12:24 PM
That could deff give you one motor running hotter than the others. I think asking the stock dji motors which i think are 2212 not 2216 to carry the 4000mah lump is a little too much. I believe with 9" and like a 3000mah battery it would actually fly really nice, after you fix the yaw issue :)

The reason I went with 4000mah is that it was recommended on the Cinetank website. I put in a separate order for two new 4s 3300mah batteries, so we'll see how that works out.

terabyte
30th May 2014, 03:37 PM
The reason I went with 4000mah is that it was recommended on the Cinetank website. I put in a separate order for two new 4s 3300mah batteries, so we'll see how that works out.

Im sorry man, I feel bad, but we thats for the recommended 2216 motors. I know it doesnt seem like it would make a like of difference but it does. I apologize.

aeryck
30th May 2014, 05:03 PM
It sounds to me like you've got the order wrong - The hot motor is most likely causing the yaw issue, and not the other way around. IIRC, most flight controllers will adjust TWO motors for yaw compensation, so if it were the yaw issue causing overheating then you'd have two motors warmer than the other two.

You could have gotten a bad motor - Check the bearings, make sure nothing's bound up, make sure your motor mount screws are not too long and biting into the motor windings, make sure the motor mount screws aren't tightened so much they're twisting the motor can, and if you use bullet connectors between the ESC's/motors, make sure they are clean and tight fitting and that _ALL_ solder connections (Even ones from the factory) are good quality. A dirty/poor bullet connection or poor solder joint will cause a voltage drop, which will in turn cause an increase of current flow to maintain the same power in wattage, which results in overheating.

If you can correct the problem with the motor, I think your yawing issue will correct itself as well.

Toysrme
30th May 2014, 07:19 PM
i agree with both. probably overloading the motors either way & ontop of that one of your bearings is burned out.

Scotttu
30th May 2014, 08:12 PM
One thing I noticed in my build is that my motor shafts stick down JUST far enough to rub on the plastic mount, since I'm waiting on the larger mounts it's not an issue as that will resolve it.

But, to be safe I would take the motor up and see if there is any rubbing going on.

fender21
31st May 2014, 12:33 AM
Appreciate all the great feedback! I will rip down the motor this weekend and see if I notice anything odd going on.