PDA

View Full Version : New EzOSD feature idea

Ian Davidson
19th December 2011, 02:20 PM
Just something for the 'ideas pot' which I reckon could be added to the EzOSD firmware SO easily, yet something which I'm not aware is available on any other OSD.

An 'Angle from Home' (ok, there's probably a better name for it than that... 'Fresnel Angle' ?) Anyway, it simply displays your angle from the calculation Tan-1 (altitude/range).

If you know that for a long-range flight over your terrain you need to remain at say 15' degrees or higher, then you can simply keep one eye on this value. Invaluable I'd say! :)

Hga77
19th December 2011, 05:27 PM
Would this be useful when eg. using a yagi and you want to stay in the beam?

Ian Davidson
20th December 2011, 02:10 AM
Would this be useful when eg. using a yagi and you want to stay in the beam?

Definitely!

masam54
20th December 2011, 03:01 AM
Just something for the 'ideas pot' which I reckon could be added to the EzOSD firmware SO easily, yet something which I'm not aware is available on any other OSD.

The Remzibi OSD does.

Ian Davidson
20th December 2011, 03:58 AM
The Remzibi OSD does.

Ahh ok, thanks. I guess I figured one of the other OSDs must, but it simply wasn't something I've heard anyone mention before.

ImmersionRC, this would be such a useful, yet simple feature to implement. Please?

Mictronics
20th December 2011, 06:40 AM
The Remzibi OSD indicates the bearing angle from home to plane, it's an azimuth angle. Simply the home vector-180.

As far as I understood Ian wants to see the Elevation angle from home to plane.

Ian Davidson
20th December 2011, 06:46 AM
As far as I understood Ian wants to see the Elevation angle from home to plane.

Yes - thanks Mictronics - you've got it! :D

"Elevation angle", that's what it should be called - bingo!

ssassen
20th December 2011, 06:54 AM
I like the idea guys, but the PIC is full, there's no room left, it won't compile anymore if I even add one more line of code, sorry! Its successor will offer a host of new features and you are welcome to make suggestions such as these.

londonguy
20th December 2011, 06:57 AM
Great idea! You know how far away you are from home and you know your altitude. It's a simple calculation to work out the angle and it would be a nice simple way for those of you going long range to keep yourself high enough.

Ian Davidson
20th December 2011, 07:14 AM
Great idea! You know how far away you are from home and you know your altitude. It's a simple calculation to work out the angle and it would be a nice simple way for those of you going long range to keep yourself high enough.

Yup, precisely! :)

But alas during this season of goodwill and giving, Sander is being a festive party-pooper and pulling out the old "the PIC is full" card on us! ;)

(Joke! :p)

Joe90
24th December 2011, 09:41 AM
Air speed sensor would be really helpful.

Why ?
When you fly a real airplane you always refer to airspeed, this way you can optimise climb, distance, and approach. It is even more important when flying a glider.
Ground speed for an airplane is of second importance. I only know one system that is capable of air speed.

There are simple sensors that work on 5v and we have just to scale the output.
A simple analog input that I can scale/calibrate would be sufficient for me.
And would be nice to implement many type of sensors.

On a second note a central unit with remote sensors would greatly simplify installation. Espescially current sensor and gps. We need short wires between battery and esc

Thanks

Michel Cote

Greedz
30th December 2011, 05:42 PM
Any chance of an altitude zero off... So you can have it read AGL instead of AMSL? Good for when you want to compensate for ground altitude. It'd be pretty easy to do.

Ian Davidson
31st December 2011, 02:06 AM
Any chance of an altitude zero off... So you can have it read AGL instead of AMSL? Good for when you want to compensate for ground altitude. It'd be pretty easy to do.

The EzOSD does report AGL, not AMSL.

Jaguar_5
2nd January 2012, 09:05 PM
Sander, how full is full? Lol. Any way to request a special multi-rotor firmware? All I want is an option to prevent the flight summary from displaying while current is above 1.5 amps or so. In other words even if ground speed is 0, if the motor is running the summary will wait. Right now to use the osd on a multirotor you must turn the summary off :(

Maybe you could release it as a special version and sacrifice the efficiency calculation to make room for the code?

Greedz
2nd January 2012, 09:21 PM
The EzOSD does report AGL, not AMSL.

Just reading the manual....looks like your right. Might explain why there is something wrong with my OSD. Always displays above sea level on mine.

ImmersionRC
3rd January 2012, 05:40 AM
Sounds like a wonderful idea. Would a 3A threshold work for you also?. Some video Tx's consume > 1A themselves, so 1.5A is a little on the low side.
Sander, how full is full? Lol. Any way to request a special multi-rotor firmware? All I want is an option to prevent the flight summary from displaying while current is above 1.5 amps or so. In other words even if ground speed is 0, if the motor is running the summary will wait. Right now to use the osd on a multirotor you must turn the summary off :(

Maybe you could release it as a special version and sacrifice the efficiency calculation to make room for the code?

ssassen
3rd January 2012, 07:07 AM

Managed to squeeze that in, go to our beta site for the firmware (v1.16), take notice this is untested other than quickly on the testbench.

http://www.immersionrc.com/betaville

jacq
3rd January 2012, 09:16 AM
;)Sander... are you in the turbomode?;)

ssassen
3rd January 2012, 09:18 AM
;)Sander... are you in the turbomode?;)

I got a 2.0 upgrade for Xmas :D

aaron_gx
3rd January 2012, 11:50 AM
Sander. The analog input ANA that we use for RSSI monitoring on the current sensor will be unused on my EZOSD soon, as I am going to EZUHF. Is it a possibility to turn the RSSI port into another voltage monitoring port? Lets say for BEC monitoring, or video battery monitoring? (yes, i know, video batteries are baaaaaad). I dont know how hard it would be to do, but it seems like that analog input is sitting there doing absolutely nothing now!

ssassen
3rd January 2012, 12:23 PM
Sander. The analog input ANA that we use for RSSI monitoring on the current sensor will be unused on my EZOSD soon, as I am going to EZUHF. Is it a possibility to turn the RSSI port into another voltage monitoring port? Lets say for BEC monitoring, or video battery monitoring? (yes, i know, video batteries are baaaaaad). I dont know how hard it would be to do, but it seems like that analog input is sitting there doing absolutely nothing now!

Can do, but it is set up for monitoring a low voltage without loading it too much (i.e. a high impedance input). It would be difficult to get it to perform battery monitoring duty without either replacing some SMD parts on the current sensor itself, or using an external resistor network.

aaron_gx
3rd January 2012, 05:29 PM
ahh, good point. :) Just a thought. I run single battery setups these days, but a friend had a need after a video battery went dead in flight... :)