PDA

View Full Version : Long range fpv antenna installation

nghfpvlab
11th April 2014, 05:31 PM
You see, if you would have a water tower like this in your backyard, all your long range problems could be solved by asking these guys to install your antenna up there...

Channel 1
11th April 2014, 06:10 PM
You see, if you would have a water tower like this in your backyard, all your long range problems could be solved by asking these guys to install your antenna up there...

Na that is a hot site and probably a nasty RFI place to install an FPV receiver.

Wayne

FPVLAB
11th April 2014, 09:56 PM
rx wouldn't be up there - tx antenna would.

Channel 1
12th April 2014, 06:24 AM
rx wouldn't be up there - tx antenna would.

What, so you can have a view of the antennas on the tower. :-/

Wayne

nghfpvlab
12th April 2014, 09:36 AM
Yep. Assuming that you have a long enough minimum loss feedline. Otherwise the cable up to the top will eat attenuate all your output power.

Stringer
12th April 2014, 11:00 AM
Yep. Assuming that you have a long enough minimum loss feedline. Otherwise the cable up to the top will eat attenuate all your output power.

You can setup a repeater system instead. 2.4G control to the tower, then UHF from there.

Channel 1
12th April 2014, 11:08 AM

At a rooftop site like that the radios go on the roof right next to the antenna with feedlines measured in inches not feet.

Wayne

StompAE86
12th April 2014, 11:17 AM
I bet youre a real hit at parties...

Insert sarcastic joke here
"Oh no thats not correct because of blah blah blah..."

Channel 1
12th April 2014, 11:27 AM
I bet youre a real hit at parties...

Insert sarcastic joke here
"Oh no thats not correct because of blah blah blah..."

No just advice form a guy who has built a few dozen rooftop sites, believe it or not some of us do this stuff for a living, as for parties my motto is "it hard to leave when you can't find the door."

This is a common method for deploying 2.4 radios, note the two very short coax's installed between the Ubnt Rocket and the dual polaraity 13 dB antenna.

Wayne