PDA

View Full Version : What would you like?

HugeOne
17th December 2011, 12:57 AM
In that shop (http://www.truerc.net/canada),

What would like to be available? Different combos?
I been thinking of switching all my Tx windmill antennas to angled SMA as standard...

-Hugo

volto
17th December 2011, 02:09 AM
Stupid question, do your prices include shipping?

HugeOne
17th December 2011, 02:14 AM
There's no stupid questions.
No, shipping is 10-12$ for most countries.

-Hugo

volto
17th December 2011, 02:25 AM
Oh ok, it would be nice to be able to see the shipping price before checking out. Since in the cart it says Total Items: 1 Weight: 0lbs Amount: $65.00, it is easy to assume shipping is included. Just my $0.02.

IBCrazy
19th December 2011, 09:23 AM
I'd like to see a brand name for your windmill/Fan package ;) This will help in sales as people will be better able to identify it. Also, once you have a name for the set, I'll be sure to note on my site that your antennas and mine are compatible with eachother. This should help you since it isn't obvious that we have compatible products.

-Alex

SENTRY
19th December 2011, 10:00 AM
I'd like to see a brand name for your windmill/Fan package ;) This will help in sales as people will be better able to identify it. Also, once you have a name for the set, I'll be sure to note on my site that your antennas and mine are compatible with eachother. This should help you since it isn't obvious that we have compatible products.

-Alex

I remem when I was telling you that (naming/marketing) about yoru antennas in this thread (http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?293-Is-it-time-for-a-lesson-in-humility&p=4342&viewfull=1#post4342). Alex is right - DO IT!

I'd like to see more robust ground antennas (encased maybe in PVC or something). We can't "lose" ground gear in a flight - so it needs to be more rugged and ready for travel - like this...

http://www.streakwave.com/mmSWAVE1/Images/XW-24-H13.jpg

HugeOne
19th December 2011, 10:46 AM
Ok guys so it'll be.... drum rolling... the "TrueWired" antennas system, flying like you where hardwired :)

As for more robust antennas, I changed my design a while ago see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVR4sjLBy2s

The new crosshair will be encased in a foam box. (for my part)

-Hugo

SENTRY
19th December 2011, 10:52 AM
That's antenna abuse, and will be reported.

IBCrazy
19th December 2011, 12:18 PM
Hugo and I both have the Crosshair (we developed it together). This is significantly stronger than the helical mainly because it is smaller.

-Alex

CaliDave
19th December 2011, 12:33 PM
For you and Alex I'd like to see some improved antenna (if possible) for UHF transmitters like the Scherrer... there seems to be a lack of custom built for our band antenna like there is for video frequencies. I.E., we have different antenna for different purposes in video, why not for RC link? (Note* I had a bad experience with a Nagoya, and the stock antenna was much better).

Also, some antenna focused at ground vehicles (if there is any design differences to consider)... for instance, the elevation on a ground vehicle from the ground station is typically much lower than something done with a plane. Is there a way to focus the lobes to lay flatter but go further? Is there a design that would be better suited for the FPV ground vehicle... both in RC and video link.... which as you know are tough to maintain so low to the ground.

-Dave

IBCrazy
19th December 2011, 12:57 PM
I have the turnstile antenna on my website and so does RMRC. Hugo could do these in his sleep.

@Hugo - How about a Moxon Rectangle project for LRS. 5.5dbi and easy to build not to mention compact. We just need to figure out how to mount it. Want to try this out?

-Alex

CaliDave
19th December 2011, 01:11 PM
I have the turnstile antenna on my website and so does RMRC. Hugo could do these in his sleep.

@Hugo - How about a Moxon Rectangle project for LRS. 5.5dbi and easy to build not to mention compact. We just need to figure out how to mount it. Want to try this out?

-Alex

Yep, I know of the turnstile for the Rx, but no options besides stock or Nagoya for Tx? Maybe it's just a good design stock... I just wasn't sure about why there seemed to be so many options for a video signal (omni linear, omni cp, directional linear, directional cp, and within each there seems sometimes to be a few options of type, dipole, whip or cloverleaf, etc.)... with the UHF systems there seems to be omni linear and typically stock antenna... across the board.

Sorry if it's a bad suggestion... just seems to be so many antenna for one signal we use, and very few for the other signal. Maybe there's a reason for it I'm not wrapping my head around. ;-)

And, if there was room for RC link improvement by better antenna, I'm sure your sales will be quite healthy since you'd have your whole video antenna audience looking to match the quality on their RC link (if it was there of course).

ssassen
19th December 2011, 01:13 PM
The Tx antenna is not the problem on UHF systems, it is the Rx antenna. I use Sander-style monopoles on most of my builds as a full dipole takes up too much space, or is too cumbersome to mount. So if you'd like to spend your time working on something useful I'd suggest a novel approach to a UHF Rx antenna that offers both small size whilst retaining the dipole structure (and yes, I have used Microtronic's fractal antennas, they're still a bit large).

volto
19th December 2011, 01:36 PM
Has anyone actually reached the limit of the UHF LRS? A turnstile on the rx gives you some circularity so you don't get a polarization loss, seems like that's the best that can be done without giant antennas.

IBCrazy
19th December 2011, 04:43 PM
A few have reached the end of their Chainlink at 10 km. Rabe2000 hit his at 9.8km with his 5.8GHz video still going.

-Alex

HugeOne
19th December 2011, 05:30 PM
Also, some antenna focused at ground vehicles (if there is any design differences to consider)... for instance, the elevation on a ground vehicle from the ground station is typically much lower than something done with a plane. Is there a way to focus the lobes to lay flatter but go further? Is there a design that would be better suited for the FPV ground vehicle... both in RC and video link.... which as you know are tough to maintain so low to the ground.

At 2.4GHZ a stack could be mounted on a vehicle, 1.2ghz will be too big and 5.8 too hard to built and inefficient. That would be a 4.5db gain.

The moxon may be a good avenue indeed, maybe I could make one dual polarized ;)

The limit of a good LRS are very far to try to optimize their antennas, need drive innovations...

-Hugo

Technoweenie
19th December 2011, 06:58 PM
The moxon is an awesome antenna! 100 degree forward beamwidth, 5.5dBi forward gain. Only downside is the backside null is -25dB so flying behind yourself without a tracking mount is a no-no.

The UHF turnstile isn't really a true circular polarized antenna. More of an any direction horizontal antenna. If you use the moxon for the ground station horizontally and the turnstile on the plane, the fade in the far end turn would be a thing of the past.

Found this build on W4RNL LB Cebik's Web Site. Site is in french so Hugo can translate, but the pictures speak for themselves.

http://www.roue-libre.be/article.php3?id_article=163

Hoping to build one of these over Christmas break and try it out. Watch the antenna direction on the mount as a moxon feedpoint is forward. The parasitic element is the reflector.

HugeOne
22nd December 2011, 12:54 AM
I added DIY kit as option to much of my antennas, I new tutorial for the rugged design windmill, virevent, fan and turbine will soon be released.

-Hugo

culexus
29th December 2011, 06:43 AM
Do you have any plans on making a diy guide on your helical 5.8ghz?

Easy guide :) please :)

HugeOne
30th December 2011, 01:18 AM

Making a 5.8 helical is easy, tuning it to proper 50ohm is harder. Without any way to measure SWR, I don't see a "easy" way.
As some noticed my 5.8 helical don't use the "wave trap" I just carefully place the last 1/4 turn over the reflector. I do that while measuring SWR till I got below 1.1:1

-Hugo

DPS-Dave
28th January 2012, 04:28 PM

For me the DIY guide are intresting but the major problem every man and his dog have now started making these and other Antennas with no way of testing them out as people are finding out

My outlook is everyone to there own pay once and be wise

Shadrackc
24th February 2012, 11:15 PM
I agree.
Do I trust something built by me once....(if I build it)
or
Do I trust something built by someone over a 1000 times.
Hmmmm....
Not a tough decision.
Especially when a lot of dollars rests in my plane.

SENTRY
25th February 2012, 11:21 AM
I think that the guy who makes an end-all 72mHz antenna will be more popular than he knows. There are lots of guys still running 72.

Howemd
25th February 2012, 11:32 PM
I noticed you don't have 1.2ghz Crosshair antennas on your site, do you plan to?

Additionally, I am currently flying my FPV via multicopters and tend to duck behind every tree alive and do alot of ground running often ducking out the sides of my optimized patch. I want to change the vtx V antenna and the patch/rubber ducky ground antenna out for RHCP. Would a Crosshair and Turbine RHCP on an Eagletree Diversity Ground Station be a good setup with a Windmill on the quad? All FPV is 1.2ghz with a filter using a Futaba Fast radio.

Eventually, I want to upgrade my ground station to have tracking, but it prob wont happen until late summer.

Thanks in advance!

Vitamin J
27th February 2012, 02:14 PM
I think that the guy who makes an end-all 72mHz antenna will be more popular than he knows. There are lots of guys still running 72.
+1!!! UHF is still a ways off for me and I can only hang so much wire off the back of my plane! Some new kind of 72mhz rx antenna or something badass for my tx would make me very happy!

schnellschnell
27th February 2012, 02:17 PM
+1!!! UHF is still a ways off for me and I can only hang so much wire off the back of my plane! Some new kind of 72mhz rx antenna or something badass for my tx would make me very happy!

+1 to the 72MHz antenna. UHF is winking at me, but I will be using 72 for a while. And looking at the 1/2 wavelength antenna...6.44', not sure where to put all that.

j