PDA

View Full Version : Camera Selection - NEED HELP!

sanman
31st March 2014, 12:48 AM
Hi,

I'm posting here because I thought this might be the most knowledgable place to ask. I'm doing a school project where we're making a pilotable "robot" (it's just a platform on wheels), which we're going to steer from a wi-fi laptop.

One of the things I've been tasked to do on the project is to select a video camera which would be mounted on the platform (about a couple of feet off the ground), which will provide a video feed for us to pilot with. As part of the project documentation, I have to come up with multiple alternatives, listing the features of each for comparison purposes, and then justify selecting one of them as the best.

Does anybody have any recommendations on a good camera to use? What are the useful features I could list for each camera, besides cost, to base my decision upon? I figure resolution would be one, and also field-of-view angle. The space where the camera is supposed to be mounted is only a few inches wide (6cm, if I remember correctly).

One of my project partners mentioned that it might have to be an "IP camera" or an "ethernet camera" to work best across the wifi, but we're not really sure.
Does anyone know the various possible types of cameras available, or know of any good websites which specialize in such cameras? So far, I've simply been browsing through amazon.com and ebay.com.

Thanks very much for any help you can provide, and sorry for the bother.