PDA

View Full Version : Shipping "unlocked" 1.3GHz TX to US?

mipi
9th December 2011, 06:33 AM
Is it possible have 1.3GHz 300mw TX with all the channels available shipped to US address. The device would be used only outside US?

IBCrazy
9th December 2011, 08:41 AM
No. The FCC will not allow it. You can hack a FOX-700 or 800mW unit if you like. It's pretty easy to do.

-Alex

mipi
9th December 2011, 08:55 AM
How about hacking the 300mW TX? I Don't need more power than that. The reason for having unlocked TX is that here in Finland the allowed channels is 1320MHz. My friend in US is coming here for Holidays and agreed to bring the gear with him.

ReadyMadeRC
13th December 2011, 05:53 PM
I think you sent me an email as well. Under no circumstances, ever, can I ship an unlocked TX to a US address. For anyone who imports a 1.3GHz system, please don't use anything outside the legal band, which means that 1280MHz is the only channel. You risk putting unnecessary negative attention on the FPV hobby in general. (and some of those frequencies are used for radio navigation)

Vitamin J
14th December 2011, 01:09 PM
How come you sell 5.8ghz systems that operate outside of the US-legal bands? Is it just a matter of severity and 5.8 is mostly empty or what?

ReadyMadeRC
14th December 2011, 01:15 PM
I don't. The systems that can transmit outside of the legal bands are locked (they are supposed to be anyway!)

Vitamin J
14th December 2011, 02:23 PM
Yeah I see that ch 5-8 are locked, but ch 3 and 4 (SkyRF) are under 5.680 which I believe is restricted.

ReadyMadeRC
14th December 2011, 02:29 PM
5650 is the cutoff, not sure how I missed that ch 4 is below 5650. Screwy that their frequencies are all over the place instead of being in order. To be totally honest (sorry for anyone that has these), those are garbage anyway and I wasn't planning on carrying them any more anyway. Horrible reliability.

Vitamin J
14th December 2011, 02:32 PM
Ah ok gotcha.

Dunno what you mean by crappy, I've got hours on mine with great picture quality and I've done 2.5 miles with good picture and a 5 turn helical, could have gone further with better RC link. Lots of hard crashes too.

ReadyMadeRC
14th December 2011, 02:37 PM
Horrible reliability. When I have to exchange more than 15% of units, it's not a good track record. After looking at the 500mW TX design, the manufacturer uses some questionable design choices. I have some here that I never listed (anyone want them real cheap, no warranty?) When they work, they work fine. Exchanges cost a lot of money, however.