View Full Version : FPV Community Survey

CaliDave
10th February 2014, 08:07 PM
Report and Results below:

Results posted above.

Thanks to all who've participated.

*** The survey is now CLOSED

-----------

This is an anonymous survey used to gather responses that can be helpful to better understand the FPV community as a whole.

The responses will not be used against anyone in any way, will not be sold, and will be made public on or before December 31st, 2014 after ample survey data has been gathered. Your posts are anonymous in the survey.

The data collected could be used to help protect FPV rights against unreasonable regulation and legislation so your honest answers can help to provide insight on your position.

Most people will complete this in less than 8 minutes.

Please only take this survey once.

For US residents please use THIS survey

For international non US residents please use THIS survey

*** Disclaimer - I approached Tim from RMRC to help me host this survey and provide input on the structure and questions I've written. This is not a spam type survey, it is as I listed something to gain some data we can use to help our community positions as there is simply no data on the general opinions outside of threads on FPV specific forums.

gOwenMyWay
10th February 2014, 08:42 PM
If you can update the survey, your "how long have you flown FPV" selections are incorrect. If a user has flown for 1.5 years, they wouldn't choose 1 so it will skew your data high a bit. Need 0-1, 1-2 etc instead of 0-1, 2-3 etc

CaliDave
10th February 2014, 08:54 PM
If you can update the survey, your "how long have you flown FPV" selections are incorrect. If a user has flown for 1.5 years, they wouldn't choose 1 so it will skew your data high a bit. Need 0-1, 1-2 etc instead of 0-1, 2-3 etc

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry I missed that. Unfortunately since it's live now I can't make that change so we'll just have to keep that in mind as data comes in. We can assume if people choose 0-1 they could be as much as 1 1/2 years, and 2 as below by 1/2 year. Any feedback like that is good to know however so please do post here if you see an oversight like that.

Dust
10th February 2014, 10:29 PM
Done. RMRC posted it on facebook. :)

_Milo_
10th February 2014, 10:52 PM
just completed it.

CaliDave
11th February 2014, 12:32 AM
Thanks for taking that... please others take this so we have a nice cross section of input from our community. There are over 500 users on the Lab at the moment... lots more who've not taken it! Your input is really important. ;)

Maximus
11th February 2014, 02:18 AM
Done.

MadMonk
11th February 2014, 03:10 AM
Ditto

Hans
11th February 2014, 03:19 AM
I've printed it all out, filled it in with red marker and mailed to you, Dave.

Beerwiser
11th February 2014, 03:55 AM
^^Lol^^ I'm to cheap for a stamp, so I did it online :).

piopi0
11th February 2014, 04:59 AM
Done :)

ssassen
11th February 2014, 05:14 AM

You're quickly becoming a full fledged Luddite? :D

Hans
11th February 2014, 05:25 AM
Yep, even used a sponge for the stamp. No DNA from me :)

Channel 1
11th February 2014, 08:03 AM
This is an anonymous survey used to gather responses that can be helpful to better understand the FPV community as a whole.

It's too bad the property damage question wasn't worded better, yes I have had crashes and yes I have damaged property, but it was my own property (my car) none the less since I didn't damage someone elses property I answered no to that question.

Wayne

Channel 1
11th February 2014, 08:05 AM

I believe you where supposed to use a number 2 pencil, not a marker and FAX it in. ;-)

Wayne

Reliku
11th February 2014, 10:17 AM
Taken, yeah, there were some flaws in the survey. I mean, AFAIK I have never damaged anyones property (other than my own (the fpv rig itself...)), but since I lost a plane without finding it back I don't know what happened. I never witnessed any property damage though, that much is certain. :p

WildWill
11th February 2014, 11:34 AM
Great job Dave, this should reveal some pertinent data.

Martinba77
11th February 2014, 12:17 PM
Done!

CaliDave
11th February 2014, 01:00 PM

Thank you Hans. :P

Spray a bit of your perfume I liked on there for me too please so I can remember our time together.

CaliDave
11th February 2014, 01:03 PM
It's too bad the property damage question wasn't worded better, yes I have had crashes and yes I have damaged property, but it was my own property (my car) none the less since I didn't damage someone elses property I answered no to that question.

Taken, yeah, there were some flaws in the survey. I mean, AFAIK I have never damaged anyones property (other than my own (the fpv rig itself...)), but since I lost a plane without finding it back I don't know what happened. I never witnessed any property damage though, that much is certain. :p

Feedback noted. Yes, this was regarding property other people would care about or not our own. Sorry that wasn't more clear, but it seems you guys answered as it was intended. And for the lost craft, true, hard to know what happened there.

airtruksrus
11th February 2014, 01:03 PM
Nice and thorough, felt it touched base on every aspect that we specifically deal with at present.

Rusty105
11th February 2014, 01:04 PM
Maybe run the survey for a shorter time, then refine the questions a little, then run it for a longer time?

CaliDave
11th February 2014, 02:03 PM
Maybe run the survey for a shorter time, then refine the questions a little, then run it for a longer time?

Thats a possibility, however I think it will be harder to get more to reply on a second survey so we have a higher attrition rate doing that, and technically would need to be a new data scrape if questions were changed.

Currently we have 267 completed with 104 incomplete so some people seem to just be looking and not finishing it. That will happen with most surveys, but we really need to have all the data we can to have a legitimate survey. With the Lab currently showing 604 users online I'd hope to have a lot more taking this to get a nice cross section... but alas, one of the problems we have here int he FPV community. Hard to rally the majority ;)

Please keep up posting here folks if you've replied and feedback you have as that might provoke others to take just a few minutes to take and complete the survey. Past page 1 it goes even faster.

SENTRY
11th February 2014, 03:04 PM
I'll get this out on the next FPVLab annoucement

CaliDave
11th February 2014, 03:16 PM
I'll get this out on the next FPVLab annoucement

Much appreciated Sentry! :)

PDXDave
11th February 2014, 05:14 PM
Thanks for doing this, Dave -- looking forward to seeing the data.

Carbon
11th February 2014, 06:45 PM
Took the survey. I said we needed licenses and FPV should be banned to make sure my privacy stays in tact. Now I'm going to walk to my next class where I will be filmed by no less than 30 security cameras, all while Google is giving my personal data to the NSA and advertising companies. But it's those drones we have to worry about!

DiscoTuna
11th February 2014, 07:42 PM
I completed some time back. Really important survey for us all to do - hope others complete it as well and post back here to confirm keeping it bumped so those that have not done it see and do it.

Also - if you do the survey you will get double range next time you fly. Just saying.

Richie1957
11th February 2014, 11:05 PM
I may not post here a lot but I do read here a lot and let me just say that ever since the FAA got involved with FPV because the media ran with the idea that UAV's and Drone's were the same thing which as we know is completely untrue, we have been relying on the AMA to take our side as we now can't help ourselves alone. We need help and require a strong presents to set the record straight. This came up at last years WRAM Show in NJ and I sat in the very room with Bob Brown as we discussed it. So I can only admire Dave for getting involved in his decision to gather supporting information to go to bat with. If anyone feels it is about boosting business for RMRC, then so be it, if you ask me, the business model I have seen from RMRC needs no scamming to boost sales, they do just fine and unless they totally screw up big time they will have business for many years to come. So if I may suggest, if you are able to attend this years WRAM Show I'm sure Bob Brown will have the latest FPV status information on hand. You can also find the information on the AMA website.

Richie1957
11th February 2014, 11:42 PM
Survey DONE

Richie1957
11th February 2014, 11:43 PM
Gotta get me one of those hats. :-)

paintz2007
11th February 2014, 11:44 PM
Ha you already have one.. its in the kitchen :-)

Richie1957
11th February 2014, 11:55 PM
Ha you already have one.. its in the kitchen :-)

:p:p:p

Hans
12th February 2014, 01:07 AM
[Thread cleaned up from drama]

Edit* To clearify myself:

There are only a few people on FPVLAB who actually try to do something to improve the position of FPV and i fully support that. I'm NOT going to let this topic wander off in conspiracy BS or debate AMA / FAA while we already have a hard time to be taken seriously by official bodies.

There are plenty of other threads where you can go off topic or debate someones stance on the AMA / FAA. But not this topic. You either fill it in, you don't fill it in or give feedback regarding the questions asked.

/End of discussion.

simpsonj
12th February 2014, 01:22 AM

[And comedy]

DiscoTuna
12th February 2014, 01:24 AM
Good moding.

hone1er
12th February 2014, 01:32 AM
Done.

Gutzy
12th February 2014, 10:42 AM
Done!

PDXDave
12th February 2014, 10:51 AM

Edit* To clearify myself:

There are only a few people on FPVLAB who actually try to do something to improve the position of FPV and i fully support that. I'm NOT going to let this topic wander off in conspiracy BS or debate AMA / FAA while we already have a hard time to be taken seriously by official bodies.

There are plenty of other threads where you can go off topic or debate someones stance on the AMA / FAA. But not this topic. You either fill it in, you don't fill it in or give feedback regarding the questions asked.

/End of discussion.

Well said. Thank you.

IBCrazy
12th February 2014, 11:49 AM
I answered that I had a plane that I never recovered, but not sure it was very representative as I crashed it in a tree 100 feet above my head and it has been up there for 3 months. I literally lost it 100 feet away ;)

-Alex

crashlander
12th February 2014, 02:47 PM
Done.

hone1er
12th February 2014, 02:50 PM
I answered that I had a plane that I never recovered, but not sure it was very representative as I crashed it in a tree 100 feet above my head and it has been up there for 3 months. I literally lost it 100 feet away ;)

-Alex

That's hilarious! I had the same thing happen once. It was up there for months before it finally got blown out by a storm. Found the plane and flew it again (after changing a few components)

CaliDave
12th February 2014, 08:05 PM

-Alex

A time capsule if you will! :)

That counts as a loss to me!

tupes
12th February 2014, 08:27 PM
Completed. Also on the question when it asks if the RED feature has helped you retrieve your aircraft. It should have an answer for tgose who have not needed to test it out YET..

Carbon
12th February 2014, 08:33 PM
It surprises me that so many people loose their aircraft. I'm interested to see a percentage of some sort. Usually if I crash it's within 200ft of myself on take off or landing..

radicalron
12th February 2014, 08:57 PM
I did the survey on my phone, and I think I finished it. Is there any way to check??? Thanks Ron.

paintz2007
12th February 2014, 08:58 PM
1 crash and its cause i went wayyyy wayyyy wayyyyyyy over the load limit of an easy glider, death spiraled it 100 foot away

http://vimeo.com/36872149

tupes
12th February 2014, 10:11 PM
I did the survey on my phone, and I think I finished it. Is there any way to check??? Thanks Ron.

The last button to show is "submit" during the survey it shows "next" on my phone it was 3 pages.

CaliDave
12th February 2014, 10:23 PM

There would have been a screen thanking you if it was completed.

gOwenMyWay
13th February 2014, 12:21 AM
After I took the survey, I placed an order from ReadyMadeRC. I had no knowledge of the association (I still don't understand it, really). What voodoo are you using in the survey? I need to find out so I can use it to explain when the package arrives...

CaliDave
13th February 2014, 10:40 AM
We've had a really good turn out so far in just the first 2 days of people adding their input to the survey. It's likely an ambitious goal but it would be great to see 1000 completed surveys from our community to get a nice selection of opinions.

Please take the survey if you've not yet and ask others you might know who are into FPV to participate on this. The larger the response pool the more effective the survey is in showing trends. Thanks! :)

Of course, please only take the survey once.

paintz2007
14th February 2014, 07:34 AM
After I took the survey, I placed an order from ReadyMadeRC. I had no knowledge of the association (I still don't understand it, really). What voodoo are you using in the survey? I need to find out so I can use it to explain when the package arrives...

hey now don't blame the survey... most likely it was your hour of fpv you are allowed each night, just so happens that you remembered that you needed to place an order as you were finishing your hour. I know my gf has me on the same strict FPV diet.... welll she tries to at least. notttt working.

CaliDave
14th February 2014, 07:35 PM
Still looking for those who've not taken this or completed the survey to please provide your input. The more participants we have from our community to chime in on the short survey the better the data will be.

Please check it out! :)

Sicarius
15th February 2014, 06:44 AM
Done, important stuff, good questions :)

CaliDave
15th February 2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks Sicarius!

We're still getting folks on both the US and International survey... keep it up... you know some of you reading this haven't done it yet. It's not hard, takes little time and kind of fun to answer on these questions. We want to hear about your experience and opinions! :)

Flyswamper
15th February 2014, 02:41 PM
Added my $0.00002 worth. Would have been $0.02 worth if I wasn't such a newbie. :)

CaliDave
15th February 2014, 05:23 PM
Thanks Flyswamper - We're looking from input from those who are just getting going to those who've been in the game since it started. The more input we have from those involved with FPV the better.

fmosquito9
16th February 2014, 12:26 AM
Done.

3rdidvet
16th February 2014, 01:46 AM
Done. Glad to see it. Would hope to see a running result made available if possible!

CaliDave
16th February 2014, 02:06 AM
Thanks guys! Others who've not yet taken this please do! I don't want to publish the results until we have a nice amount of replies on these so as to not sway anyone and get honest genuine opinions.

Just for a gut check, how many would you all think would be good numbers for completed surveys taken to publish results?

I'm interested to see how many people you guys think will reply. We'll only count completed surveys. There is a number of people who seem to check it out but not complete it. They are a small minority but if those could be completed that would be great to add to the total numbers.

Carbon
16th February 2014, 02:13 AM
Thanks guys! Others who've not yet taken this please do! I don't want to publish the results until we have a nice amount of replies on these so as to not sway anyone and get honest genuine opinions.

Just for a gut check, how many would you all think would be good numbers for completed surveys taken to publish results?

500-1000 just from an outsiders opinion.

3rdidvet
16th February 2014, 02:36 AM
Thats a possibility, however I think it will be harder to get more to reply on a second survey so we have a higher attrition rate doing that, and technically would need to be a new data scrape if questions were changed.

Currently we have 267 completed with 104 incomplete so some people seem to just be looking and not finishing it. That will happen with most surveys, but we really need to have all the data we can to have a legitimate survey. With the Lab currently showing 604 users online I'd hope to have a lot more taking this to get a nice cross section... but alas, one of the problems we have here int he FPV community. Hard to rally the majority ;)

Please keep up posting here folks if you've replied and feedback you have as that might provoke others to take just a few minutes to take and complete the survey. Past page 1 it goes even faster.

I think the problem lies more in the fact that we're all a little A.D.D. ;)

3rdidvet
16th February 2014, 02:37 AM

I'm interested to see how many people you guys think will reply. We'll only count completed surveys. There is a number of people who seem to check it out but not complete it. They are a small minority but if those could be completed that would be great to add to the total numbers.

Makes plenty of sense. Maybe a link to the results at the end of the survey?? I have an issue with patience... :D

paintz2007
16th February 2014, 02:27 PM
500-750 although you can start to see trends in the 300 range usually

Rusty105
16th February 2014, 04:54 PM
I think the 500 or 1000 mark

DiscoTuna
16th February 2014, 08:39 PM
300 is more than you need - the more the better of course, but consider if you had a particular hypothesis and were statistically (e.g. by running a t-test) going to say compare the results of this survey to a hypothesised value, then 136 would be your minimal sample size to look for the most reliable statistical result of concluding that your hypothesis was accurate 999 times out of 1000.
http://www.danielsoper.com/statcalc3/calc.aspx?id=47

That said, the audience, likely the public as opposed to statisticians/scientists, who you may be using these results with is going to instinctively feel that 500 or indeed a 1000 in the sample size is going to pretty much represent the community. When is Sentry going to email out the link to us all to do the survey - that will hopefully get you to the 500 mark within a week.
---Dr DiscoTuna:).

Scotttu
16th February 2014, 09:03 PM
Done!

Beers_CO
16th February 2014, 09:25 PM
Kudos on the survey, well put together. In particular, the sections about which regulation we support was well worded.

ColoradoFlightMedic
16th February 2014, 10:32 PM
"Have you ever crashed a FPV aricraft?" Haha... that should be a filter, and if anyone says no, their data is void!

3rdidvet
16th February 2014, 10:42 PM
^ um.... He's 100% correct!!!!

CaliDave
16th February 2014, 10:54 PM
"Have you ever crashed a FPV aricraft?" Haha... that should be a filter, and if anyone says no, their data is void!

Haha... true!

Well, we're doing pretty well so far. Definitely not as many coming in each day from the first two, but possibly the FPBLab email could help too. The more who post they're doing it will help I think to show others its worth doing and adding your input on. So far we're getting into numbers it seems we can work with, but the more the better! :)

paintz2007
17th February 2014, 07:34 AM

^ um.... He's 100% correct!!!!

Ummmm some of us are careful... that said I did crash one, it was airframe related though. Too much weight and death spiralled it in :D

Flyswamper
17th February 2014, 08:34 PM
There is also newbies like me that hadnt crashed via fpv when i took the survey maybe 7 days ago, but I fixed that this past weekend. he he.... Had an unscheduled landing after losing video signal for a sustained period of time. Still not sure I understand why I lost the video but I guess the "bright" side of this is that I can say I crashed via fpv now. :)

CaliDave
18th February 2014, 01:52 AM
@ Fly - :-O

Welcome to the club. ;)

Ok, we're still trucking along, and at this rate will have a good selection of input.... but please take this if you've not yet as the more the better for our community voice showing! We want your input! You matter... you are special! Big hugs. :)

CaliDave
18th February 2014, 11:34 PM
We're past 400 completed surveys... would be great to get to 500. Please take this if you've not yet to add your voice to the community on the survey. Thank for all the support from those who've completed their surveys! :)

WildWill
19th February 2014, 01:19 PM
I would have thought that there would have been greater participation in this survey. You've got a wide variety of questions that don't seem to be leaned in any particular direction. It would seem that the results will yield some interesting data.

Here's to bumping this back up for greater participation.

squishy
19th February 2014, 01:21 PM
I would have thought that there would have been greater participation in this survey.

I already explained exactly why that would happen and it did...fpv pilots are not stupid...shore up the breaches and start over if you want participation..

WildWill
19th February 2014, 01:41 PM
I already explained exactly why that would happen and it did...fpv pilots are not stupid...shore up the breaches and start over if you want participation..

I just want the data. I'd like to see where we are at as a community. Without steps in that direction we'll never know where we stand. Dave put in a ton of effort in that survey and didn't slant it one way or another as far as I can tell, maybe I'm just stupid as you say... myself and 400 others.

Are you not interested in the data coming from the survey? Do you have your own survey?

Hans
19th February 2014, 01:57 PM
Hey everybody, this thread is about Dave's survey. Stay on topic or you're more than welcome to start your own thread with your own survey. :)

CaliDave
19th February 2014, 01:59 PM
I would have thought that there would have been greater participation in this survey. You've got a wide variety of questions that don't seem to be leaned in any particular direction. It would seem that the results will yield some interesting data.

Here's to bumping this back up for greater participation.

Thanks Will. It's actually more participation than I've seen from the community really on anything for this type of unified/collective input past direct threads people are interested in.

There was little to no community response for getting our own organization together, and not much response from a range of people on the threads for concern with legislation and regulation (mainly the same folks on those matters). Because it takes some time to complete I think some check it out and decide not to take/finish it, just curious, but many others are pitching in to provide their input. Some I think just don't know it's out there too. Far more complete the survey than don't who check it out. How many just don't take it and/or not interested... that's hard to say.

Just into 9 days we've got closing in on 450 completed. That's about 50 individuals a day adding their voice, and only 19 seem to check it out but not complete it for the same daily averages. Given I've only posted on 2 forums (RCG and the Lab) as well as the RMRC FB thread (which has had some shares to other FPV FB threads), I think 50 a day is actually pretty good average of those interested.

If Sentry is able to send an FPVLab email with it my guess is that would rally more interest and participation.

There has been only one complaint listed across all the days we've had it going, and multiple forums... Squishy. The voice against this survey is 0.22% so far.

@ Squishy, I'll agree, FPV pilots aren't stupid. I wouldn't classify those who've participated as "stupid" in any regard. You're comment implies those who don't take this are the smart ones... I think others can glean that from your posts.

The FPVers participating are trying to help their community, and quite a respectable showing of people putting in for this effort. If you figure it takes each person 8 minutes to complete we've had a community effort of around 2 1/2 days straight of people working for a common cause. If you discredit all the survey itself and just recognize the effort put forth for a common cause I think that alone is a sign we can work together and should be respected and commended.

I sure recognize that and thank everyone who's participated. ;)

CaliDave
20th February 2014, 01:14 PM
We're close to 500 completed surveys. Thanks again for those who've supported this community effort and been a part of the survey. For those who've not yet completed a survey please do so to help us get as many completed surveys as we can. For those who've not yet taken it, please do. The larger a voice we have the more effective we are and all opinions are appreciated in answering to gain a sense of trends in FPV opinion.

This date will help drive an effort to protect FPV as we've known it. Time is of the essence so please act to have your voice a part of this survey!

Channel 1
20th February 2014, 02:42 PM
This date will help drive an effort to protect FPV as we've known it. Time is of the essence so please act to have your voice a part of this survey!

As the saying goes, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Wayne

CaliDave
21st February 2014, 04:17 PM
We're past 500 completed. Maybe we can make one more push but I bet without other promoting the survey the majority of those who will participate are in. It would be good to gather the data to see if it can help in any ways and just for general consumption and food for thought as we proceed against any overbearing future regs and legislation, and talking about how we can be unified on community based decisions.

Please do take the survey ASAP if you've not yet, or complete it if you've not yet finished it (really not that long... around 8 mins total). If there is any other promoting to the community please help with this now as it will be shut down once we find an end point so the feedback is capped.

Thanks again for those who've helped so far! It's been a great showing to have over 500 participants for the US survey, and over 700 for both the US and International surveys combined!

CaliDave
23rd February 2014, 11:03 PM
Ok, this is the last post in a final push to convince any folks who've not participated yet in the FPV Community Survey to please do so:

For US residents please use:
https://www.readymaderc.com/surveys/index.php/282232/lang-en

For international NON US residents please use:
https://www.readymaderc.com/surveys/index.php/978244/lang-en

If you're into FPV your input could help to protect freedoms we've enjoyed so far. Please take just a few minutes to complete the survey. Over 700 of your fellow FPVers have contributed between US and International residents.

Thanks for your input and to all those who've added their voice so far! It's been a great showing from our community, but there are still many voices who've not yet joined in. ;)

We'll close the survey tomorrow (2/24/2014) @ 7:00PM EST

CaliDave
24th February 2014, 08:44 PM
A very BIG Thank You to all from our FPV community who participated in the survey. We had a total of 617 completed under the US resident survey and 251 from the International non US community.

This is a great showing of participation and the survey will be published ASAP. ;)

The survey is now closed.

CaliDave
25th February 2014, 01:56 PM

The man does not lie:
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n586/CaliDave/FPV/782F1D4C-28CC-4B0D-A6FA-419C2C29B357_zpszt76s9rp.jpg (http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/CaliDave/media/FPV/782F1D4C-28CC-4B0D-A6FA-419C2C29B357_zpszt76s9rp.jpg.html)

Thank you Hans. :P

Spray a bit of your perfume I liked on there for me too please so I can remember our time together.

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n586/CaliDave/FPV/B745A095-E0B0-41E3-964B-9F4A49C72E03_zpsl9ajqcqc.jpg (http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/CaliDave/media/FPV/B745A095-E0B0-41E3-964B-9F4A49C72E03_zpsl9ajqcqc.jpg.html)

Hans
25th February 2014, 02:26 PM
Hihi :)

Channel 1
25th February 2014, 02:29 PM
The man does not lie:

That's some good e-Bay material there. ;-)

Wayne

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n586/CaliDave/FPV/B745A095-E0B0-41E3-964B-9F4A49C72E03_zpsl9ajqcqc.jpg (http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/CaliDave/media/FPV/B745A095-E0B0-41E3-964B-9F4A49C72E03_zpsl9ajqcqc.jpg.html)

airbagit13
25th February 2014, 02:36 PM
Lmfao

ColoradoFlightMedic
25th February 2014, 03:22 PM
HAHA! Hans, you're ridiculous man! That's some funny stuff right there :)

fmosquito9
7th March 2014, 01:56 AM
Any update on the results? Did I miss it somewhere?

CaliDave
7th March 2014, 10:53 AM
I'm working on the repot for the findings... its actually a lot of work, but I'll post this asap! :)

fmosquito9
7th March 2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks calidave. Making sure I didn't miss it.

SENTRY
10th March 2014, 02:40 PM
I dropped the ball on this - I was supposed to send it out email with an FPVLab update. I totally didn't know that it was time sensitive - my apologies Dave :(

CaliDave
10th March 2014, 02:47 PM
I dropped the ball on this - I was supposed to send it out email with an FPVLab update. I totally didn't know that it was time sensitive - my apologies Dave :(

No worries dude! We still had a great showing and FPVLab itself was essential in serving as a rally point for the community effort. The report is just passing a few others eyes for review to make sure it reads well and I should have it out this week.

Thanks again for everyone who contributed to this effort!

Blues
10th March 2014, 07:10 PM
I'm working on the repot for the findings... its actually a lot of work, but I'll post this asap! :)

Any day now...? I suspect you're doing fancy charts but I like raw numbers...

-Blues

Beerwiser
10th March 2014, 09:53 PM
I just want to know how many people besides me never crashed a fpv plane:rolleyes:

Flyswamper
13th March 2014, 09:30 AM
I just want to know how many people besides me never crashed a fpv plane:rolleyes:

At the time I filled out the survey I hadn't crashed doing fpv. That's right I had a whopping one or two flights under my belt. :) Of course, taking the survey insured that I got my first crash in just a few days later. :) Thankfully I haven't had any crashes yet which caused any real damage to the plane or gear.

Oh crap! Can't believe I just posted that. Better get my credit card warmed up, I'm sure I just setup myself for a flight plan into a light pole or something. ;)

CaliDave
20th March 2014, 09:29 PM
Hey all, sorry for the delay to post this info. I've been super busy and needed to get the raw data into it's own PDF. Both that and my report on the survey are posted to the first post here. (http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?25951-FPV-Community-Survey&p=437665&viewfull=1#post437665)

We can open it up to discussion in the following posts. Thanks again for those who helped to contribute their input. I realize it's a lot of reading, but it would be great to hear other thoughts on conclusions and recommendations others might make to help our community maintain the freedoms we enjoy in the face of impending legislation, regulation and overall growth as a hobby.

Rusty105
20th March 2014, 09:56 PM
I must have just checked the thread moments after you posted. I only skimmed the raw data, and read through the summary, but it is pretty clear how the community feels. and it is no surprise that the VLOS issue is, well, an issue. How can we get the FAA to relax the VLOS requirement?

figgoatfpv
20th March 2014, 11:00 PM
Great job. There are some interesting results.

Danr_657
21st March 2014, 12:36 AM
Interesting to see the results thanks for sharing.

I was surprised to see the % of HAM's I thought it would be more like 10% have there HAM its good to see there is a lot more. Its easy i don't know why people dont get one takes almost know time can help you learn a little if you try, it last 10 years and now your legal with the FCC at least. trying to convince some guys I fly with to get there's

I was also surprised how many people want more regulation. I would agree though there are somethings that may need limits because certain people can't be smart about how they use this stuff but It will come on its own we don't need to help it get there ;)

thanks again

Vitamin J
21st March 2014, 12:41 AM
Very cool results. Pretty cool to see the rest of the FPV community has similar habits to mine as well! Lots of good defenses to the usual knee-jerk reactions we tend to hear. Good job Dave!

airtruksrus
22nd March 2014, 09:08 AM
Perhaps with information presented in this format from a variety of resources could be very helpful in persuading legislators to view Fpv in a positive light and not something that stems from paranoia that the media has so conveniently put out whenever they feel they have a story to grab attention.

I do keep hopeful that certain aspects of capabilities for autopilot systems now available to the masses will change the scope of insurance coverage.

Thanks for the awesome write up Dave!

scrtsqrl
23rd March 2014, 05:49 AM
I must have just checked the thread moments after you posted. I only skimmed the raw data, and read through the summary, but it is pretty clear how the community feels. and it is no surprise that the VLOS issue is, well, an issue. How can we get the FAA to relax the VLOS requirement?

We can probably get them to accept flight in "visually cleared airspace".

Interesting results...
Amazed at how many start with multis...

Thanks for the survey.

Mike Freas
23rd March 2014, 05:23 PM
With permission, I would like to cite your work in my graduate capstone project.

CaliDave
23rd March 2014, 06:46 PM
With permission, I would like to cite your work in my graduate capstone project.

Sure... just send me a copy when your done if you would! I'm interested to see what you're working on. :)

fpv2013
11th April 2014, 10:14 PM
Calidave, thank you for the work on the survey and making it available. Well done.

CaliDave
20th August 2014, 12:18 PM
Just giving this a bump for some who might not have seen the survey results from earlier in the year. I think the report shows some of the divide between what we're doing as a community and what the FAA for instance is opposing, and it might in some ways help us to analyze how best to combat unreasonable regulation.