PDA

View Full Version : The Stone Mountain Mission

webdr
20th November 2011, 04:07 PM
It was windy and overcast, but I had to complete the mission!
My goal was to fly out to Stone Mountain and get close to the rock carving on Northwest face. The problem is that its very low on the side of the mountain and I didnt want to be on the property flying. After an hour of scoping a spot, I found a parking lot with a view of the carving between some trees 1.1 miles out.

I was on the verge of loosing video a few times when I tried to drop down low at the end, but I think it's mission accomplished!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6bvwORl0L8

Airbender
20th November 2011, 05:45 PM
Well done! Were you using your skywalker?

GLEvideo
20th November 2011, 06:38 PM
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!! GREAT!!! This mountain has now been conquered. Nice escape route across the lake. Very clever. Was this a solo mission are were others with you? Please share your set up for this mission.

Blizzard1287
21st November 2011, 02:08 PM
Glad to see you finally conquered the mountain webdr. Love the location too... wouldn't have thought of that one. Sorry I left the ATL area before you did it

webdr
21st November 2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks gents. and yes, it was the skywalker.

FPV FLYER
22nd November 2011, 09:21 PM
Good job matt, I usually land on the strip of grass parallel from the street ;)

CaliDave
22nd November 2011, 10:55 PM
@ webdr - Well done... mission accomplished! What an interesting rock in the middle of all that flat ground.... Google here I come "Stone Mountain".

Kevinv033
23rd November 2011, 08:16 AM
Nicely done. Is that a National or State park? Do they light the carving at night?

IBCrazy
23rd November 2011, 10:31 AM
Nice work on the flight. The Fresnel zone (what caused your video issue down low) is a pain isn't it? You still made it and that's what counts.

-Alex

SENTRY
23rd November 2011, 10:53 AM
Did you notice those buildings w/ the rooftop access setup? We need to find some chicks who live there and flirt with them ;)

Eddie
29th November 2011, 11:25 PM
Very nice!

bigmoebbq
30th November 2011, 04:38 PM
Very nice Buddy! I have wondered when someone would brave the MTN!

Sgt. Schultz
30th November 2011, 07:29 PM
Nice flight Doc.

Nicely done. Is that a National or State park? Do they light the carving at night?

Don't know what kind of park it is, I do know they had a good lazer show when I was there.

4th Of July at Stone Mountain Park 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3G25LTPswk&feature=related

GoldCraft
14th December 2011, 12:04 PM

State park...carvings are lighted at night.