PDA

View Full Version : Lumenier QAV250 Mini FPV Quadcopter

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21

Guerrilladrone
12th November 2014, 12:32 AM
Hey Guys!

I just switch from CC3D to Naze 32 Acro, I was trying to fit the board with a 3D printed case I found somewhere online, but the case alone measured about 5/8" height, and this made it kind of hard to fit into reduce spaces, like in my JPay 240. So i design this new case in solidworks and just finished printing the first case, I was able to get it to 3/8" height overall and gives me an extra 1/4" on top.

Here's some pics, if somebody needs one hit me up and I'll get it done... :)

543225432354324543255432654327http://fpvlab.com/forums/images/misc/pencil.png

timnilson
12th November 2014, 11:18 AM
What day will the upgrade to the QAV250 be announced? :)

Relatively soon. Maybe by end of next week.

wolfpackt99
12th November 2014, 11:23 AM
Relatively soon. Maybe by end of next week.

You tease so early. Another teaser video should be in order! :)

timnilson
12th November 2014, 03:21 PM
You tease so early. Another teaser video should be in order! :)

Check out the new video on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/getfpv

Is it real?

bighead93
12th November 2014, 04:52 PM
Check out the new video on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/getfpv

Is it real?

Love it!! Hurry up so I can send you some $$$$

zitom
13th November 2014, 08:59 AM
Hi,
i want build my own copter frame in cfk
has anyone a similar 3d model from QAV-250-Lumenier Frame???

i do not sell the frame, it is only for myself it is privat,

iges, step, catia, solidworks, solidetch,
the best for me ist, step, iges, or solidworks 2014

or 2D, dxf, dwg, for water jet cutter

thanks

Thomas
Germany

timnilson
13th November 2014, 10:34 AM
Hi,

thanks

Thomas
Germany

Huh?!

john_lenfr
13th November 2014, 10:45 AM
Some people an't afraid 😀

zitom
13th November 2014, 12:20 PM
Huh?!

why huh ?? I can still build my own frame
i learn a lot , it's a challenge for me, to build for myself
it is quite private I do not sell.
I do not understand the reaction

sparkyincali
13th November 2014, 01:44 PM
If you want the challenge and to learn a lot design and build your own design not copy someones design.

Marillion
13th November 2014, 04:34 PM
Hi,

thanks

Thomas
Germany

can u pls shoot me

zitom
13th November 2014, 05:03 PM
can u pls shoot me

?????
Sincerely
Thomas

AlvaSpeed
14th November 2014, 10:38 AM
Back on track.......

When is the new announcement?
I hope is a small 6S quad with +-1300mah 450 size 6S batts. (same size as 2200 3S batts)

geCKo
14th November 2014, 10:46 AM
I hope for small nuclear isotope batteries

JG-rn
14th November 2014, 12:53 PM
Got me curious too.

CAMOMAN
14th November 2014, 01:07 PM
What geCKo says!!!!!!

john_lenfr
14th November 2014, 04:13 PM
Hi,
Could someone explain to me what is the difference between motors:
FX2206-13 2000kv and FXC2206-11 2350kv?

Why they are both cheaper than before on getfpv site?

Someone know when products for QAV250 will be available on getfpv? (motors/frame/case)

Actual case will fit new frames? Will there be new boxes?
Thanks!

timnilson
14th November 2014, 05:49 PM
Hi,
Could someone explain to me what is the difference between motors:
FX2206-13 2000kv and FXC2206-11 2350kv?

Why they are both cheaper than before on getfpv site?

Someone know when products for QAV250 will be available on getfpv? (motors/frame/case)

Thanks!

The Lumenier motors follow the naming scheme of:

FM -- our lower cost motors. These motors are still very high quality motors, but the bearings are a bit lower quality making the overall motor a little bit cheaper
FX -- FX designates our highest quality motor. Best bearings, assembly, etc.
FXC -- The "C" in the name indicates that the motor bell has the facility to mount flat carbon fiber props. These motors also come with a prop adapter that can hold standard motors

The numbers indicate the stator size and KV rating. For instance:
2206-13 2000kv
This is a motor that has a stator that is 22mm in diameter and 06mm high.
The -13 means that the motor has 13 winds on each stator pole, which then results in 2000kv.
The more windings, the lower the KV, the more torque the motor has
The less windings, the higher the KV

john_lenfr
15th November 2014, 04:09 AM
The Lumenier motors follow the naming scheme of:

FM -- our lower cost motors. These motors are still very high quality motors, but the bearings are a bit lower quality making the overall motor a little bit cheaper
FX -- FX designates our highest quality motor. Best bearings, assembly, etc.
FXC -- The "C" in the name indicates that the motor bell has the facility to mount flat carbon fiber props. These motors also come with a prop adapter that can hold standard motors

The numbers indicate the stator size and KV rating. For instance:
2206-13 2000kv
This is a motor that has a stator that is 22mm in diameter and 06mm high.
The -13 means that the motor has 13 winds on each stator pole, which then results in 2000kv.
The more windings, the lower the KV, the more torque the motor has
The less windings, the higher the KV

Thank you for this accurate answer ;)

Maybe I have to post in the Getfpv section for other?

ceong
15th November 2014, 08:30 AM
Hi Guys

I am new into this hobby.

Do you think it is overkill to put this REVO FC on QAV250 :confused:? or CC3D is good enough? Thanks

AlvaSpeed
15th November 2014, 09:36 AM
Has anyone tried Hobbywing Xrotor escīs ?

zitom
15th November 2014, 10:44 AM
Hi Guys

I am new into this hobby.

Do you think it is overkill to put this REVO FC on QAV250 :confused:? or CC3D is good enough? Thanks

the CC3D Revo is better than the normal CC3D, he has an Magneticcompass and Barometric-Senor, Revo ist perfect for mini Quads, look on Open-Pilot-Forum, in the next few Days comes a new fundamentally superior software update for the cc3d revo
thomas

ceong
15th November 2014, 11:04 AM
the CC3D Revo is better than the normal CC3D, he has an Magneticcompass and Barometric-Senor, Revo ist perfect for mini Quads, look on Open-Pilot-Forum, in the next few Days comes a new fundamentally superior software update for the cc3d revo
thomas

Hi zitom,

thanks! If that the case I can assume that revo offers a better flying experience.

CrazyCoder
15th November 2014, 11:43 AM
If that the case I can assume that revo offers a better flying experience.

One of the TauLabs developers says that Revo has more sensor noise (http://buildandcrash.blogspot.ru/2014/10/reflecting-on-four-years-of-development.html) than CC3D and doesn't fly as well as cheaper boards. Also, it's overkill for minis.

It also resolved the question of tuning since it tunes up and flies very well and didn't have the same sensor noise as RevoMini.

RevoMini (which became known as Revo) was a stripped down (in terms of connectivity) version of Revolution with an integrated modem designed by David. It was good and bad, too.

I ended up being quite unhappy with the flight performance of Revo (I could never get it tuned as nicely as CC3D). There was ultimately a question of whether the problem was hardware or software (although the same software was used on full Revolution, so that wasn't really a question in my opinion). There was also an issue that Revo wasn't looking like open source hardware and there were a lot of political problems within OP (such as doing a preorder for a board that didn't fly well).

So, think twice before choosing expensive Revo for your mini. CC3D with the upcoming OpenPilot 14.10 version would be perfect in Acro+ flight mode. No need to pay extra for the board which cannot be tuned as well as CC3D even by the developers of this board.

Marillion
15th November 2014, 01:04 PM
One of the TauLabs developers says that Revo has more sensor noise (http://buildandcrash.blogspot.ru/2014/10/reflecting-on-four-years-of-development.html) than CC3D and doesn't fly as well as cheaper boards. Also, it's overkill for minis.

So, think twice before choosing expensive Revo for your mini. CC3D with the upcoming OpenPilot 14.10 version would be perfect in Acro+ flight mode. No need to pay extra for the board which cannot be tuned as well as CC3D even by the developers of this board.

There's nowhere to get the revo anyway atm

ceong
15th November 2014, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the great input! If that's the case then I better leave the REVO behind ..

zitom
16th November 2014, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the great input! If that's the case then I better leave the REVO behind ..

hi ceong, i see your posting in OpenPilot Forum, and the answer from Admin Terrier is correct, the Revo is not a overkill, buy the Revo,
i have a revo on my QAV250

ceong
16th November 2014, 05:11 AM

hi ceong, i see your posting in OpenPilot Forum, and the answer from Admin Terrier is correct, the Revo is not a overkill, buy the Revo,
i have a revo on my QAV250

Hi Zitom,

Could you please tell me more about your flying experience with revo and also the tuning part. Thanks

zitom
16th November 2014, 10:23 AM
Hi Zitom,

Could you please tell me more about your flying experience with revo and also the tuning part. Thanks

Hi ceong,
flight experience is very difficult, i am a beginner pilot, the QAV250 fly, but i was a bad pilot.
i fly only in stabilized mode, the revo ist programmed in attitude mode.
thomas

duel
16th November 2014, 12:31 PM
Hello everyone, does anyone know why the qav250 is unavailable at any site in the world? I would like to buy one but can not be found. Sorry if I ask a question then you've done a million times but I'm not going to read 350 pages ..... best Open pilot CC3D or NAZA Lite?

AlvaSpeed
16th November 2014, 12:37 PM
Hello everyone, does anyone know why the qav250 is unavailable at any site in the world? I would like to buy one but can not be found. Sorry if I ask a question then you've done a million times but I'm not going to read 350 pages ..... best Open pilot CC3D or NAZA Lite?

Helidirect in USA has the G10 version in stock.

http://www.helidirect.com/qav250-g10-mini-fpv-quadcopter-p-35237.hdx

But I believe an upgraded/new model is about to be released.

sparkyincali
16th November 2014, 12:37 PM
Multirotorsuperstore has the G10 in stock. If you look at what people are running on their qav250 it is probably 45% cc3d 45% naze 8% other and 2% naza and for good reason.

duel
16th November 2014, 12:45 PM
thanks guys, I also think there is some new releases. it is better to CF or G10?

john_lenfr
16th November 2014, 01:06 PM
I asked the same question yesterday:

Hi,
Thanks!

Thanks for answers but no official news for know.
Current setups will still be available (for 5030 prop)?

timnilson
16th November 2014, 01:26 PM
Helidirect in USA has the G10 version in stock.

http://www.helidirect.com/qav250-g10-mini-fpv-quadcopter-p-35237.hdx

But I believe an upgraded/new model is about to be released.

To be clear -- there is no new QAV250 coming out. The frame stays the same -- both G10 and CF.
We are coming out with "new and exciting things" for the stock QAV250 frames. Large volumes of the frames are in production and will be available soon. The "new things" will be announced very soon.

timnilson
16th November 2014, 01:29 PM
Lumenier products are now available on Amazon -- sold and shipped by Amazon. Prime shipping available as well. They have a few ARFs and QAV250s frames left. Go snap them up. Search for QAV250 -- make sure it says "by Lumenier" under the product title as there are a bunch of clones on amazon sold by "marketplace vendors".

john_lenfr
16th November 2014, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the infos Tim ;)

So sorry to disturb but case are very nice and I wonder if it will fit the new "christmass" things :)

Got it on Amazon with "lumenier qav250"

EDIT:
Some vids of the week end, shoot with QAV250 (Sorry for the quality but it's my first tests of the mobius cam, and weather is so sad :():

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysGFz9gbwd4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLmHLSMklgA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I61EZVkOb_8

AlvaSpeed
16th November 2014, 02:42 PM
To be clear -- there is no new QAV250 coming out. The frame stays the same -- both G10 and CF.
We are coming out with "new and exciting things" for the stock QAV250 frames. Large volumes of the frames are in production and will be available soon. The "new things" will be announced very soon.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.
I am waiting for Getfpv to have the QAV250 back in stock.
Iīd rather buy from Getfpv than from Amazon. That is for sure.

Marillion
16th November 2014, 03:28 PM

why teasing us ...spil the beans mate ;)

or atleast some of em :)

duel
16th November 2014, 03:41 PM
Ok, but when will be available on Getfpv?

drlynch03
17th November 2014, 03:28 PM

For me neither, the NAZE 32 ACRO wins all they way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CrazyCoder
17th November 2014, 03:33 PM
It will change soon. CC3D can be purchased for $15 and the next firmware update will have Acro+ mode which is similar to MultiWii rate mode.
If you don't like it, flash TauLabs which already has MultiWii/Baseflight Rate mode since yesterday (in nightly builds).

If you fly Acro, it should be very similar to Naze32 with these firmwares.

Skerts
18th November 2014, 02:16 AM

Sounds to me that either there will be stand offs to set the motors higher than the top plate, thus bigger props.
Or, more than likely, some kind of bolt on arm extenders for the stock frames. My money is on arm extenders and I'm really interested in that idea.

JG-rn
18th November 2014, 09:16 AM
Or angled motor mounts

Skerts
18th November 2014, 10:43 AM
That won't help much with 7" props though.
I originally thought we'd see a new bottom plate with longer arms but Tim is saying that there's "no new QAV250" and he mentions "stock frames" so for 7" props to work in those examples, bolt on arm extenders are the answer, allowing us to mount our motors a little further out and giving us more space to spin bigger props.

xjet
18th November 2014, 01:44 PM
Or how about props that have a shorter blade on the side that faces the frame and a longer blade on the side that faces away.

Oh... hang on... that won't work ;D

Maybe you flip the motors onto the other side of the arms? :-/

juz
19th November 2014, 02:03 AM
These props are the bomb

http://www.getfpv.com/hqprop-5x4-5-bullnose-cw-propeller-2-blade-2-pack-black.html

mterzian
19th November 2014, 10:07 AM
Or how about props that have a shorter blade on the side that faces the frame and a longer blade on the side that faces away.

That was good!
Thanks for the big laugh :)

Skerts
19th November 2014, 10:33 AM
Happy Birthday QAV250! Today would be a good day to announce 'new and exciting things'... ;) haha.

SkinWalk3r
19th November 2014, 11:01 AM
These props are the bomb

http://www.getfpv.com/hqprop-5x4-5-bullnose-cw-propeller-2-blade-2-pack-black.html

on what type of motor and what Lipo count

timnilson
19th November 2014, 11:19 AM
These props are the bomb

I'll like them too. I call them "food processor blades". They are super stiff and thick. Overall well balanced with a nice clean sound. The pitch is not overly aggressive, yet provides more bite than a GemFan 5x3. One thing I noticed is that they immediately break off at the root of the blade if you touch something since they are so stiff. They don't chip -- just break clean off. Not sure that's good or bad, just different from the soft GemFan 5x3. Definitely a prop to consider. I fly them on Lumenier FXC-2206 2350kv

timnilson
19th November 2014, 11:25 AM
Happy Birthday QAV250! Today would be a good day to announce 'new and exciting things'... ;) haha.

Hey, thanks!!! Has it been a year already?! Time flies.

Soon -- we are waiting on some "things" to come in before we spill the beans finally. Keeping this under wraps for this long is not easy with Carlos having "it" out in the open already. I'm amazed that no picture of the "thing" has popped up anywhere yet :) (except for Bruce's/RCModelReview video)

Skerts
19th November 2014, 12:33 PM
Hey, thanks!!! Has it been a year already?! Time flies.

Soon -- we are waiting on some "things" to come in before we spill the beans finally. Keeping this under wraps for this long is not easy with Carlos having "it" out in the open already. I'm amazed that no picture of the "thing" has popped up anywhere yet :) (except for Bruce's/RCModelReview video)

It was a year today that the thread was started. I guess it hasn't been for sale for quite a year yet but I thought it was pretty cool none the less.
As for pictures of this thing, challenge accepted! Haha.

Chile Vuela
19th November 2014, 12:52 PM
Out into the wilds of Chile for some acro/proximity action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udrEGt4kV00

A big shout out to Chinese Man Records (https://www.youtube.com/user/chinesemanrec) for allowing me to use the song in the video!

timnilson
19th November 2014, 12:57 PM
If you're looking for photos of the "thing/s", it's not that:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tEovlAG94Lw/UfsWYP2TZLI/AAAAAAAABLY/NbbNoTZp7lY/s400/Thing1-and-thing2.jpg

(Source: Dr. Seuss "Cat in the Hat")

mterzian
19th November 2014, 01:11 PM
(except for Bruce's/RCModelReview video)

Now that's teasing...
Gonna have to watch all this guy's videos :eek:
;)

Skerts
19th November 2014, 01:14 PM
He's talking about the joke vid he made, still worth a watch.
I believe I've just seen the 'new things' on the QAV250 though.
I have a pic but I think it would be poor form for me to post it..
All I can say is it's been visible since the 16th..

mterzian
19th November 2014, 01:28 PM
This is getting more and more interesting... ;)

SlipstreamFPV
19th November 2014, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if one of the "things" is arm extension plates for 6" props...

mterzian
20th November 2014, 03:50 AM
Could this new thing be shot in slo-mo with an iPhone 6? ;-)

Aileron
20th November 2014, 04:51 AM

I also just saw a "Thing" shot in slow-mo with an iPhone6... Very excited.

Aileron
20th November 2014, 05:19 AM

AlvaSpeed
20th November 2014, 09:31 AM
I just saw it......

quadna71
20th November 2014, 09:42 AM
Has anyone heard when getfpv might be getting their stock back up to shipping levels? I'm hoping for a tracking number soon!

*the "thing" looks pretty robust. Longer arms and props, 4S, and possibly new motors too? Just a guess.

timnilson
20th November 2014, 10:28 AM
RTF stock levels are behind. Frame kits for both G10 and CF should come back online today.

SkinWalk3r
20th November 2014, 11:06 AM
How about esc.....I have been waiting ....I saw they going to be in Stock on the 16th but that has come and gone

Marillion
20th November 2014, 11:28 AM

Maybe you flip the motors onto the other side of the arms? :-/

Go back to the bench :roll eyes:

Marillion
20th November 2014, 12:07 PM

We got it the first time

:D

Now pic plssss :cool:

Aileron
20th November 2014, 12:46 PM
We got it the first time

:D

Now pic plssss :cool:

http://youtu.be/-xlF3G2soKM

Enjoy

Marillion
20th November 2014, 12:56 PM
http://youtu.be/-xlF3G2soKM

Enjoy

Thanks , so extended arms it is then.

Aileron
20th November 2014, 01:06 PM
But according to the comments there are some other goodies as well. Maby a board camera tilt? 2204 sized, 4S, 6" capable motors? I am sure there is more to the "thing" than just the arms...

timnilson
20th November 2014, 01:35 PM
Oh... I hate to break it to you, but the thing you see in the video is actually not *the* thing. It's a thing Carlos was using when our prototypes of the real thing were obliterated in some hot Carlos action. So... let the games continue. And, there are more than one thing as Aileron pointed out.

... I think I may be the only one that's still enjoying himself on this at this point :)
We are shooting for a release on the things next week... promise.

AlvaSpeed
20th November 2014, 01:44 PM
O.K. I am going to forget about "the things" until next week.
Can we order the QAV250 without "the things" today?

mterzian
20th November 2014, 02:50 PM
... I think I may be the only one that's still enjoying himself on this at this point :)

:p
I'm shutting down internet until next week.
Good to read that the "things" are simple and compatible with our beloved frames.
Bravo Lumenier for not forcing us to rebuy everything :-)

Marillion
20th November 2014, 03:03 PM
Oh... I hate to break it to you, but the thing you see in the video is actually not *the* thing. It's a thing Carlos was using when our prototypes of the real thing were obliterated in some hot Carlos action. So... let the games continue. And, there are more than one thing as Aileron pointed out.

We are shooting for a release on the things next week... promise.

You are so cruel , mum never left me this long on my toes :(

PetterKien
20th November 2014, 03:12 PM
Just hope that you will have all parts 'in stock' right away, and in sufficient quantities...
(thinking about people like me on the other side of earth that will not be behind their screen at mid night ;) )

Andy_GetFPV
20th November 2014, 05:17 PM
Charpu mesmerizes us with his latest video. Amazing! He has been testing new and exciting things for the QAV250. They will be released the week of Nov. 24th by Lumenier on GetFPV.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGIgHCGPXws

soundpod
20th November 2014, 06:43 PM
Fantastic vid, loved the move at .38, ive been waiting to see that for a long time.
Hmmm, there's a clue in there about the thing in the vid description....;)

JG-rn
20th November 2014, 07:13 PM
That dude is ridiculous.

zozolione
21st November 2014, 07:22 AM
holy cow, thats so awesome, time for a QAV250:)

SkinWalk3r
21st November 2014, 10:48 AM
ok timnilson, how about this ;?

can you tell us how much to set aside to buy all new thingys next week. need to budget for black friday

N3t3cho
21st November 2014, 06:10 PM
Standard G10 QAV and not quite as good as Charpu... but here is my latest video. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTXg7Y9jrb4&feature=youtu.be

powdermnky007
22nd November 2014, 02:55 PM
How big a battery can i put on the qav250 and keep the cg correct? Wondering about using a 4s 40c 1800. Wish there was a zippy 4s 1600 40c.

Andy_GetFPV
22nd November 2014, 05:01 PM
How big a battery can i put on the qav250 and keep the cg correct? Wondering about using a 4s 40c 1800. Wish there was a zippy 4s 1600 40c.

Sure you could do a 1800 4s if you had a enough weight on the front to counter it. A GoPro counters the weight nicely.

http://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-1800mah-4s-35c-lipo-battery-xt60.html

We'll have more stock of this Lumenier LiPo next week.

powdermnky007
22nd November 2014, 11:04 PM
Awesome, I wonder what bat charpu fpv was using on that insane video he put out last week. I can't wait until y'all's announcement :)

Beachflyer
23rd November 2014, 09:45 PM
Blinged out the 250.

Hally1983
24th November 2014, 10:29 AM
Can we expect the new product announcement today guys? Im in the market for a new mini copter :0)

Pyrock
24th November 2014, 11:32 AM
Blinged out the 250.
Very nice! Thanks for sharing

Pyrock
24th November 2014, 11:34 AM
Can we expect the new product announcement today guys? Im in the market for a new mini copter :0)

Lots of speculation but I'm guessing arm extensions and maybe more goodies like new Lumenier ESC's to handle the draw of bigger props. Just a guess :-)

mterzian
24th November 2014, 11:49 AM
Lots of speculation but I'm guessing arm extensions and maybe more goodies like new Lumenier ESC's to handle the draw of bigger props. Just a guess :-)
Powered by a bigger battery, and maybe tilted motors...
The wait has to end! :)

Pyrock
24th November 2014, 12:32 PM
I'm not saying this is the new release but it's Charpu's trasher QAV250. Notice the extended arms, 6" prop, and FAT 4S lipo. I believe it was either 1600mah or 1800mah. Either way, he flew it like it like he stole it!!!!

Skerts
24th November 2014, 12:47 PM
I guessed bolt on arm extensions last Monday but Tim said they were just replacements since Charpu broke the prototypes so as simple as bolt on arm extensions would be, I'm not sure what to think about them anymore.
I still don't get the tilted motor guess, looking at the angle of Charpu's GoPro, his motors aren't tilted (I don't get why you'd want them to be?)
Speaking of the GoPro, that mount his is on looks new so we could guess that the GoPro mount is another of the new and exciting things. I think my money is still on arm extensions too since it's simple and the base frame stays the same.

Skerts
24th November 2014, 12:49 PM
That's awesome that you got to see Charpu's 250 up close though.

mterzian
24th November 2014, 01:20 PM
his motors aren't tilted (I don't get why you'd want them to be?)
Could be an aerodynamical improvement.
That was just a wild guess since this tilted motor thing seems hot these days...
As for me, I have tons of things to learn with the regular mount :)

mterzian
24th November 2014, 01:23 PM
I'm not saying this is the new release but it's Charpu's trasher QAV250. Notice the extended arms, 6" prop, and FAT 4S lipo. I believe it was either 1600mah or 1800mah. Either way, he flew it like it like he stole it!!!!

With such weight on the tail, I guess I can kiss the mobius goodbye, and use the gopro...

Pyrock
24th November 2014, 01:37 PM
That's awesome that you got to see Charpu's 250 up close though.

It WAS cool to hang out with Charpu and see his rig up close but it was even better to watch him fly. Very cool guy also!

mterzian
24th November 2014, 01:44 PM
He really seems like a nice guy and he is really talented - I'm not taking any risk saying One of the most talented.
It's spectacular and smooth with innovative moves.
A lot more than crazy flips and rolls we're used to see

Pyrock
24th November 2014, 02:09 PM
He really seems like a nice guy and he is really talented - I'm not taking any risk saying One of the most talented.
It's spectacular and smooth with innovative moves.
A lot more than crazy flips and rolls we're used to see

Yes, Charpu really is a class act...very humble and very nice. The only way I know who he was is because I recognized his flying style and his signature turns which somewhat resembles a split-S maneuver with many other crazy flips and rolls mixed in. I can say that watching him fly was very motivating. I wasn't able to fly along side him because our video signals were crossing so we took turns flying. After watching him fly, I tended to go balls out and pushed myself. Needless to say, I crashed quite often but then he had some good crashes also. It's just like they say, if you're not crashing, you're not pushing yourself hard enough! In short, I have a long way to go if I want to fly like him but maybe some day!

Marillion
24th November 2014, 04:29 PM

He flys with gopro as FPV cam ?

mterzian
24th November 2014, 04:41 PM
He flys with gopro as FPV cam ?

I don't think so.
GoPro for fiming and, according to the description on YouTube, PZ0420 600TVL as FPV cam.

Hally1983
24th November 2014, 05:26 PM
6" on 4s the way to go? Wonder which motors they are?

Pyrock
24th November 2014, 05:54 PM
6" on 4s the way to go? Wonder which motors they are?

I believe he said they were 2204 2300KV Cobra motors but I'm not sure. There were so many rigs there that I lost track. Here's a another pic of his rig.

Pyrock
24th November 2014, 06:00 PM
I don't think so.
GoPro for fiming and, according to the description on YouTube, PZ0420 600TVL as FPV cam.

You are correct. He had a 600TVL and the GoPro. Basically, there was nothing fancy with his rig other than the extensions and 6" props. He said it was "light and fast" but it sure looked beefy to me especially with that GoPro up front and the fat 4S out back. Maybe "light" is relative to what you have powering it. 6" props being pushed by a fat 4S lipo and 18amp ESC's would make most 250 - 300 quads feel "light". Then you have to factor in his mad skills!!!

Pyrock
24th November 2014, 06:03 PM
With such weight on the tail, I guess I can kiss the mobius goodbye, and use the gopro...

Funny, I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at it but then the $79 price tag of the Mobius is hard to beat. I actually trashed my Mobius Wide Angle lens when I flew into the hoop at full throttle. It was like an insurgent beheaded by QAV like a hot knife through butter!

xjet
24th November 2014, 06:17 PM
He said it was "light and fast" but it sure looked beefy to me especially with that GoPro up front and the fat 4S out back. Maybe "light" is relative to what you have powering it. 6" props being pushed by a fat 4S lipo and 18amp ESC's would make most 250 - 300 quads feel "light".
Yep... when you go to 6" props and 4S, the damned things seem to "float" so the extra weight of a bigger battery actually makes them easier to fly in proximity situations when trying to duck under overhead obstructions.

Pyrock
24th November 2014, 08:11 PM
So, does anyone know what the BIG RELEASE actually is?

On a separate note, I'm going to add arm extensions to my QAV250 so I can swing 24" props and 120amp ESC's along with 10S lipos I had on my IonX so when Charpu tries to pass me, I will chop him up like a blender!!!! LOL!:cool:

mterzian
25th November 2014, 04:49 AM
So, does anyone know what the BIG RELEASE actually is?

On a separate note, I'm going to add arm extensions to my QAV250 so I can swing 24" props and 120amp ESC's along with 10S lipos I had on my IonX so when Charpu tries to pass me, I will chop him up like a blender!!!! LOL!:cool:

:p

As for the GoPro, on 2nd thought, I'd rather stick to the mobius for a while and add dead weight than taking the risk of smashing my GoPro into pieces - which is not a matter of if but when ;)
That being said, even with 1300mah 3S, I feel like the mobius is not heavy enough to counterbalance the battery weight. CoG is supposed to be at the center of the X, right?

powdermnky007
25th November 2014, 10:48 AM
Why don't you guys try strapping the battery on the bottom, like a landing gear?
You could then adjust it for cg and the way we fly with the nose tilted downwards for fast forward flight, it would be on the bottom. Out of the air stream causing no extra wind resistance. I wouldn't imagine it would be any less safe than flying a blackout with the battery on top.

Pyrock
25th November 2014, 02:46 PM
Why don't you guys try strapping the battery on the bottom, like a landing gear?
You could then adjust it for cg and the way we fly with the nose tilted downwards for fast forward flight, it would be on the bottom. Out of the air stream causing no extra wind resistance. I wouldn't imagine it would be any less safe than flying a blackout with the battery on top.

I may try exactly that because I have heli landing gear and it makes plenty of space for an under-slung battery. It may even improve handling with less weight at the extreme ends of the chasis.

crg5990
25th November 2014, 03:38 PM
So much for that Nov 24th release haha

On another note, anyone ever have issues with afro esc's?

crg5990
25th November 2014, 03:40 PM
Edit: double post

mterzian
25th November 2014, 04:57 PM

They seem to work just fine for me.
But my QAV250 is only 4 flights old ;)
One interesting point though: the 12a opto Afro esc don't have a BEC.
I did not take this into consideration when I purchased them (to be honest, I had no idea what opto meant - and I'm not really more knowledgeable about that today).
I was lucky to have a spare 5V BEC lying around.
So beware of that :)

timnilson
25th November 2014, 05:00 PM

We said the 'week of the 24th'. And, we are scrambling to get this out TODAY!! So, stay tuned!!!

mterzian
25th November 2014, 05:02 PM
We said the 'week of the 24th'. And, we are scrambling to get this out TODAY!! So, stay tuned!!!

Damn!!!
How do you expect me to sleep now...
It's getting late in this part of the world! ;)

powdermnky007
25th November 2014, 05:08 PM
I may try exactly that because I have heli landing gear and it makes plenty of space for an under-slung battery. It may even improve handling with less weight at the extreme ends of the chasis.

I haven't tried it, but its gotta be better than having the cg far aft, or stacking gopro or lots of other weight on the front to balance it out. Besides when I crash I'm going so dang fast it's flipping and flopping every which way, I don't think it matters where the battery is. I have more crashes than landings anyway.

xjet
25th November 2014, 05:29 PM
I tried some 20A Afros and they were crap. Real issues with some 2300KV motors (even on 3S) -- to the extent that the quad would twitch noticeably in a hover and flip (through loss of motor sync) if you tried a full-throttle punch-out.

I'm reflashing them with BLHeli to see if that helps.

timnilson
25th November 2014, 07:54 PM
Finally!! Let me introduce you to "new and exciting things" for the QAV250!!!

Thanks for staying with us as we were working on releasing the below 3 accessories for the QAV250. Having seen so much interest in how Charpu is able to produce the speeds we see in his videos is absolutely fantastic. We first have to re-state that Charpu is an immensely talented pilot. Like Juz, he is a fearless artist that is coming up with new ways to fly every time he goes up in the air. Lumenier has been working closely with Charpu to develop a number of products to make his airframe as fast as possible -- so fast, that many video comments are questioning if his videos are even real or if they are sped up. Well, they're not sped up.

So, without delaying you any further, here we go.

1.) The new Angled Motor Mount Extensions for the QAV250

To enable the QAV250 to mount 6" props, we needed a longer arm. In addition, we wanted to angle the motor so that the frame does not have to pitch towards the ground at full speed. Flying at a shallower angle of attack makes the airframe much more aero dynamic, thereby improving speed. Mounting the motors at an angle is not something new, but our solution combines an arm extension with an angled motor mount in a single machined part -- something new and innovative we think. The solution we came up with is an aluminum extrusion that is CNC-ed to achieve a single part that solves both issues. With these motor mounts, you have ample clearance to mount 6" props. You also get a 10 degree motor angle. The part is strong, light, and a single piece that bolts onto the QAV250. The mount attaches to the stock QAV250 airframes with 4 screws. No nuts required. The motor then attaches to the mount as usual. The way the part is fabricated and the combination of angled motor mount with arm extension is unique. Pre-Order is now available with a scheduled release date in the 2nd week of December. The first production run we can get done before Christmas is very small. If you're interested in this product, I urge you to place a pre-order.

http://www.getfpv.com/qav250-angled-motor-mount-extensions.html

https://admin.getfpv.com/media/catalog/product/a/n/angled-motor-mount-rtf-angle.jpg

2.) Aero Guard for the QAV250

Another way to increase speed is to continue to decrease drag further. The new Lumenier Aero Guard achieves that in an elegant way. The Aero Guard is a single, laser-cut part fabricated from rip resistant material that slides over the QAV250's aluminum spacers. In addition to improving aerodynamics the Aero Guard also protects the airframe's electronics. See picture above and below. Now available for purchase.

http://www.getfpv.com/qav250-aero-guard.html

https://admin.getfpv.com/media/catalog/product/q/a/qav250-aero-guard-angle.jpg

3.) New Lumenier FX2208-9 2000kv Motors

With the increased thrust a 6" prop configuration enables, more powerful/heavier motors become practical. We are releasing the FX2208-9 2000kv Motors that produce more torque and thrust than smaller 1806 or 2206 motors. These motors are also rated for 4s, which smaller motors typically are not. The FX-2208-9 2000kv motors will become available in December. Pre-order is now available.

http://www.getfpv.com/fx2208-9-2000kv.html

https://admin.getfpv.com/media/catalog/product/f/x/fx2208-motor-front_1.jpg

Skerts
25th November 2014, 07:59 PM
Sweet! Looks awesome Tim. Definitely exciting things right there!

And mterzian, you were right about angled motor mounts!! Good guess!

timnilson
25th November 2014, 08:19 PM

Thanks! Yes, many had guessed "arm extension", and some had guessed "angled motor mount", but I did not see a guess for one product that does both.

brianalexander
25th November 2014, 08:37 PM
already pre-ordered the angled mounts!

crg5990
25th November 2014, 08:52 PM
They seem to work just fine for me.
But my QAV250 is only 4 flights old ;)
One interesting point though: the 12a opto Afro esc don't have a BEC.
I did not take this into consideration when I purchased them (to be honest, I had no idea what opto meant - and I'm not really more knowledgeable about that today).
I was lucky to have a spare 5V BEC lying around.
So beware of that :)

I tried some 20A Afros and they were crap. Real issues with some 2300KV motors (even on 3S) -- to the extent that the quad would twitch noticeably in a hover and flip (through loss of motor sync) if you tried a full-throttle punch-out.

I'm reflashing them with BLHeli to see if that helps.

I've got the 12a ultra lite's and they have BEC's, just refuse to sync and work right. Keep having the throttle jump on me from barely a hover to full tilt unless I set my throttle curve to end at 35% hah Going to try and reflash with another version of simonk if I can and see if it helps otherwise I'm switching to something else

We said the 'week of the 24th'. And, we are scrambling to get this out TODAY!! So, stay tuned!!! Apologies if I came off as an ass haha new stuff looks great though!

sickwitit
25th November 2014, 09:06 PM
Which props and which ESCs is Charpu running on this new setup? Or what does getfpv recommend?

And please tell me you guys will be releasing a new custom case for this larger edition QAV250?

mashednz
25th November 2014, 09:32 PM
How are these extensions as far as crash durability goes? Has there been much of that from your testing team?

SkinWalk3r
25th November 2014, 09:42 PM
what size esc will the new motors need. both on 3s or 4s.

JG-rn
25th November 2014, 10:09 PM
Those motors will need a 20a esc.

For my 2208 2000kv Cobras, I use the ZTW 20a mantis esc.

http://www.multirotorparts.nl/electronics/esc/ztw-a-series-20a-esc-simonk.html

SkinWalk3r
25th November 2014, 10:13 PM
ok.ty.

now how do you hover when the motors are pre-tilted

JG-rn
25th November 2014, 10:18 PM
ok.ty.

now how do you hover when the motors are pre-tilted
It will hover in rate mode just fine, the front end will just be higher.

SkinWalk3r
25th November 2014, 10:50 PM
so a hover in rate mode will have the camera tilted up ?...how would it behave in rattitude or attitude

sickwitit
25th November 2014, 10:57 PM
Those motors will need a 20a esc.

Dang it, are we positive about this?

It will hover in rate mode just fine, the front end will just be higher.

It will hover fine in Attitude mode, just like the Gemini does. You can calibrate the "level" with the motors pointing straight up, then it will stay level when hovering. But you shouldn't be doing much "hovering" with this bad boy ;)

This huge announcement was made 3 hours ago, and we're still not getting any responses from the Getfpv staff or their pilots?

JG-rn
25th November 2014, 11:08 PM
Dang it, are we positive about this?

It will hover fine in Attitude mode, just like the Gemini does. You can calibrate the "level" with the motors pointing straight up, then it will stay level when hovering. But you shouldn't be doing much "hovering" with this bad boy ;)

This huge announcement was made 3 hours ago, and we're still not getting any responses from the Getfpv staff or their pilots?

Those motors will pull 15-20 amps at times in flight.

timnilson
25th November 2014, 11:33 PM
The 2208-9 motors will pull more than 12 amps on 4s with 6" props. We are working to release a new ESC in the not too distant future. To angle the motors can be enabled in certain flight controllers. Similarly how you can adjust the yaw value in the CC3D to spin the board by 90 degrees, you can also adjust the pitch off-set by 10 degrees. We'll put some documentation together for some of the typical FCs.

AlvaSpeed
26th November 2014, 12:28 AM
The 2208-9 motors will pull more than 12 amps on 4s with 6" props. We are working to release a new ESC in the not too distant future. To angle the motors can be enabled in certain flight controllers. Similarly how you can adjust the yaw value in the CC3D to spin the board by 90 degrees, you can also adjust the pitch off-set by 10 degrees. We'll put some documentation together for some of the typical FCs.

Great news!!!!

When is the next QAV250 shipment coming in?

ZobZibZab
26th November 2014, 12:55 AM
Thanks! Yes, many had guessed "arm extension", and some had guessed "angled motor mount", but I did not see a guess for one product that does both.
I think most expected that if you extended it it would be a new frame. its nice that previous buyers can upgrade without getting a whole new frame :)

kgram
26th November 2014, 02:39 AM
Hi! I've frequented your forums for the last few weeks as I've gone through the paces of designing a QAV250 CF that should hopefully be loads of fun to fly. I would be grateful if the experts could take a look at my parts list to give me any feedback.

The goal of this build is to build a FPV rig with minimal weight and maximized flight time while not suffering too greatly on performance. I know the 6" rotor modification came in today and that could change flight times a lot, but I'm going to just stick with 5" props for now.

Motor
Cobra 2203/34

Rationale: it seemed to have the highest thrust/watt rating of any of the motors. Adjusted for weight (it's .5g lighter than the FXC1806-14 2300kv which comes in the stock QAV250 RTF package) it puts out 4.38 g/W of thrust where the FXC1806 puts out 3.75 g/W - nearly a 17% increase. SunnySky 2300KV's performed just a bit better than the FXC1806-14 (3.76g/W or a 1.1% performance increase when normalized for weight). The RCX ZMR only puts out 290 grams of thrust and although it's more efficient than SunnySky or Lumeniere motors, it's a poor performer.

This is all from data pulled in from various forums and datasheets. Your mileage may vary.

Battery
Turnigy 1400mah 3S 80C

Rationale: after a lot of digging it **seems** that the best battery is the 3S option if I'm going for a longer flight duration. There is a huge increase in performance on using a 4S battery and some of the lower KV motors, but that doesn't translate into efficiency (as far as I've found). I'd love for someone to weigh in on this with a motor / battery combo that has a higher efficiency.

Props
Gemfan 5x3

Rationale: They were cheap. 5x4's seem like they *may* have a lower efficiency on the Cobra motors. I don't have any data to back this up though - just sifting through motor data on the Cobra website that showed 6x4 props performing less desirably but what do I know. I'll test them out and report back unless someone has some data already. Source (http://www.cobrasystem.net/en/product_jcsj.asp?N_product_1jfl_id=1&N_product_2jfl_id=5&id=11)

ESC's
Lumenier 12A w/ Simon K

Rationale: I didn't want to flash my own ESC and I read a complaint or two about the Afro line of ESC's not working too well with Cobra motors. What do you think?

Power Distribution & Conditioning
Lumenier Fury with TBS Core

Rationale: In a word: awesome. No wire mess is a good thing. I love this. TBS Core also includes OSD which is great.

Control
CC3D Atom

Rationale: weighing in at 10 grams and with awesome support it seemed like the simplest solution out there and performs as well as its competitors after a recent (or soon coming - I'm not sure) firmware push.

Tx/Rx
Orange R410X

Rationale: I have an older Spektrum Dx7 DSM2 remote and wanted an Rx that worked with it. Orange R410X has CPPM output which tidies up my wiring, and weighs in at only 2.7g. I could use a Spektrum satellite (with an inline voltage regulator) but its been hard to figure out if the satellites are as sensitive as the Rx's. I wish Spektrum made a receiver that was small and had CCPM and RSSI outputs. No RSSI for my TBS CORE OSD :(

Video Camera
PZ0420M Sony 600tvl Super HAD II CCD Camera (http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/RunCam-600TVL-DC-5%252d17V-Wide-Voltage-Mini-FPV-Camera.html)

Rationale: Same performance as the famous PZ0420 except it weighs less! High dynamic range, great reviews, and all other sorts of bells and whistles made this one an easy choice.

Video Transmitter
TS5823 5.8Ghz 200mW (http://www.surveilzone.com/mini-5.8g-32ch-video-audio-200mw-wireless-transmitter-fpv-ws1174)

Rationale: I'm still on the fence about this. Pros: It's tiny, weighing in at 7.3 grams with a whopping 200mW output. That's of output power 27mW per gram. By comparison the Boscam 200mW comes in at 8 mW per gram, the popular FatShark 250mW v.3 outputs 6.25 mW per gram. It also has 30 channels that it operates on and is compatible with Fat Shark glasses. Cons: there were some issues with the voltage regulator on the camera causing lines to show up. They *supposedly* have been fixed. They seem to be hit or miss devices with many failures reported. Others love them. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK2EZSutHRs#t=83)

Video Transmitter Antenna
SurveilZone 5.8gHz Omni Cloud Spirit Circular Polarized Antenna (http://www.surveilzone.com/5.8ghz-circular-polarized-omni-cloud-spirit-tx-antenna-pa1227)

Rationale: Seemed to be the lightest at 10.3 grams (with a protective dome) and cheapest: around $12 for a matched Tx/Rx set. The IBCrazy / Bluebeam / Spironet all seem great, just pricey... Not convinced that spending a lot of money here makes that big a difference.

FPV Goggles
Skyzone FPV & Battery

Rationale: they seem like the best for the money. Still researching this. FPV Goggles seem like an asset that you can take from aircraft to aircraft, better to spend money here as you'll be using them often.

Conclusion

The quad should come in at 419 grams complete, which I believe is pretty light. Anyone build a QAV250 that's lighter? I know there are tradeoffs for this setup, I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts. Am I missing anything?

Thanks guys!

Marillion
26th November 2014, 03:28 AM
Nice well done !

If I knew about the aero guard I would not have spent over €30 for my guard ... Love mine but it's expensive for what it is ... The aero is priced very good. grrr

I would recommend to get the aero cos .. First it makes the qav250 look sexier :cool: second it behaves better in flying and like Tim said it protects the electronics.

Tim , Will the FXC1806-14 2300kv work great with these arms ?

Marillion
26th November 2014, 03:31 AM

Looks sexy

Marillion
26th November 2014, 03:48 AM
Hi! I've frequented your forums for the last few weeks as I've gone through the paces of designing a QAV250 CF that should hopefully be loads of fun to fly. I would be grateful if the experts could take a look at my parts list to give me any feedback.

The goal of this build is to build a FPV rig with minimal weight and maximized flight time while not suffering too greatly on performance. I know the 6" rotor modification came in today and that could change flight times a lot, but I'm going to just stick with 5" props for now.

Motor
Cobra 2203/34

Rationale: it seemed to have the highest thrust/watt rating of any of the motors. Adjusted for weight (it's .5g lighter than the FXC1806-14 2300kv which comes in the stock QAV250 RTF package) it puts out 4.38 g/W of thrust where the FXC1806 puts out 3.75 g/W - nearly a 17% increase. SunnySky 2300KV's performed just a bit better than the FXC1806-14 (3.76g/W or a 1.1% performance increase when normalized for weight). The RCX ZMR only puts out 290 grams of thrust and although it's more efficient than SunnySky or Lumeniere motors, it's a poor performer.

This is all from data pulled in from various forums and datasheets. Your mileage may vary.

Battery
Turnigy 1400mah 3S 80C

Rationale: after a lot of digging it **seems** that the best battery is the 3S option if I'm going for a longer flight duration. There is a huge increase in performance on using a 4S battery and some of the lower KV motors, but that doesn't translate into efficiency (as far as I've found). I'd love for someone to weigh in on this with a motor / battery combo that has a higher efficiency.

Props
Gemfan 5x3

Rationale: They were cheap. 5x4's seem like they *may* have a lower efficiency on the Cobra motors. I don't have any data to back this up though - just sifting through motor data on the Cobra website that showed 6x4 props performing less desirably but what do I know. I'll test them out and report back unless someone has some data already. Source (http://www.cobrasystem.net/en/product_jcsj.asp?N_product_1jfl_id=1&N_product_2jfl_id=5&id=11)

ESC's
Lumenier 12A w/ Simon K

Rationale: I didn't want to flash my own ESC and I read a complaint or two about the Afro line of ESC's not working too well with Cobra motors. What do you think?

Rationale: In a word: awesome. No wire mess is a good thing. I love this. TBS Core also includes OSD which is great.

Control
CC3D Atom

Rationale: weighing in at 10 grams and with awesome support it seemed like the simplest solution out there and performs as well as its competitors after a recent (or soon coming - I'm not sure) firmware push.

Tx/Rx
Orange R410X

Rationale: I have an older Spektrum Dx7 DSM2 remote and wanted an Rx that worked with it. Orange R410X has CPPM output which tidies up my wiring, and weighs in at only 2.7g. I could use a Spektrum satellite (with an inline voltage regulator) but its been hard to figure out if the satellites are as sensitive as the Rx's. I wish Spektrum made a receiver that was small and had CCPM and RSSI outputs. No RSSI for my TBS CORE OSD :(

Video Camera
PZ0420M Sony 600tvl Super HAD II CCD Camera (http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/RunCam-600TVL-DC-5%252d17V-Wide-Voltage-Mini-FPV-Camera.html)

Rationale: Same performance as the famous PZ0420 except it weighs less! High dynamic range, great reviews, and all other sorts of bells and whistles made this one an easy choice.

Video Transmitter
TS5823 5.8Ghz 200mW (http://www.surveilzone.com/mini-5.8g-32ch-video-audio-200mw-wireless-transmitter-fpv-ws1174)

Rationale: I'm still on the fence about this. Pros: It's tiny, weighing in at 7.3 grams with a whopping 200mW output. That's of output power 27mW per gram. By comparison the Boscam 200mW comes in at 8 mW per gram, the popular FatShark 250mW v.3 outputs 6.25 mW per gram. It also has 30 channels that it operates on and is compatible with Fat Shark glasses. Cons: there were some issues with the voltage regulator on the camera causing lines to show up. They *supposedly* have been fixed. They seem to be hit or miss devices with many failures reported. Others love them. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK2EZSutHRs#t=83)

SurveilZone 5.8gHz Omni Cloud Spirit Circular Polarized Antenna (http://www.surveilzone.com/5.8ghz-circular-polarized-omni-cloud-spirit-tx-antenna-pa1227)

Rationale: Seemed to be the lightest at 10.3 grams (with a protective dome) and cheapest: around $12 for a matched Tx/Rx set. The IBCrazy / Bluebeam / Spironet all seem great, just pricey... Not convinced that spending a lot of money here makes that big a difference.

FPV Goggles
Skyzone FPV & Battery

Rationale: they seem like the best for the money. Still researching this. FPV Goggles seem like an asset that you can take from aircraft to aircraft, better to spend money here as you'll be using them often.

Conclusion

The quad should come in at 419 grams complete, which I believe is pretty light. Anyone build a QAV250 that's lighter? I know there are tradeoffs for this setup, I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts. Am I missing anything?

Thanks guys!

I'm no expert but I would change a few things if it was me .... As you quoted numbers which makes minimal difference to be honest I would go with the lumenier motors , they perform great and handle 4s very well too plus you get excellent CUSTUMER care from getfpv which is an other plus.
Second , the antenna , it's one important component and believe me don't hold back on it cos you will end up spending more ( don't ask why I know )

The 3rd is subjective I guess but I do prefare the naze32 board at the moment although the cc3d is an excellent FC aswel.

Just my 2c :)

mterzian
26th November 2014, 08:39 AM

I was lucky :-)
I really like the aero guard too!

mterzian
26th November 2014, 08:44 AM
Love these extensions/tilt and the aero guard!
And fairly priced! Thanks Lumenier :)

But why the heck did I clip my motors wires so short???
Like I needed a justification to buy better motors/ESCs :p

Hally1983
26th November 2014, 09:55 AM

Hi Tim,

Just a question how is all this extra weight going to effect flight time?

I see the motor weight is 45g each compared to 30g on a 2206-2350kv for example. Then 28g for a set of frame extentions so almost 90g straight of the bat?

For example if we take the 250 CF frame pimp it with arm extentions / new motors as mentioned above / fury board and tbs core blah with a 4s setup.

Whats the ideal total weight going to come in at? Can we still expect 5-6mins of flight on a "fully loaded" qav250 frame!

Cheers,

xjet
26th November 2014, 01:24 PM
Once you go to 6" props you'll appreciate the extra weight. I've found that the bigger props tend to make your average miniquad rather "floaty" which can be an issue when flying proximity. The extra weight of motors and a slightly larger battery will let your quad drop more like it did with the 5" props but you'll still have a whole lot more power-to-weight when you want it and speed will be noticeably increased. The 6" props should also be more efficient than the 5" ones.

Pyrock
26th November 2014, 01:30 PM

Motor
Cobra 2203/34

Battery
Turnigy 1400mah 3S 80C

Props
Gemfan 5x3

ESC's
Lumenier 12A w/ Simon K

Control
CC3D Atom

Tx/Rx
Orange R410X

Video Camera

Video Transmitter

FPV Goggles
Skyzone FPV & Battery

Conclusion

Thanks guys!
I wouldn't worry too much about trying to be so light. I tried to do the same and although it handled very nicely, it tended to be slow at dropping altitude from a hover. This seemed to be important when I would zip through trees and needed to drop altitude quickly without having a chance to drop the nose. I didn't really give it much thought until I swapped out to heavier motors and batteries. I noticed that it dropped much faster and the extra umph from the bigger 4S lipo and more aggressive props more than made up for the extra weight. Also, yesterday I flew in heavy winds and got tossed around a bit. It would have been MUCH worse or outright scary at 419gm compared to 580gm. Yes, it powers around with authority at 580gm but I'm flying with 4s 1300's and 5x4 or 5x3x3 props. I think the big advantage to being light is that important things like arms tend to break less often when youre light. I'm no expert but it's just what I've noticed lately. I'm still learning as well.

Pyrock
26th November 2014, 01:38 PM
Once you go to 6" props you'll appreciate the extra weight. I've found that the bigger props tend to make your average miniquad rather "floaty" which can be an issue when flying proximity. The extra weight of motors and a slightly larger battery will let your quad drop more like it did with the 5" props but you'll still have a whole lot more power-to-weight when you want it and speed will be noticeably increased. The 6" props should also be more efficient than the 5" ones.

My thoughts exactly. Actually, the more aggressive pitch of 5x4 props compared to 5x3 had a "floaty" feel also but I'm not sure if it was just a mental thing until you mentioned it.

timnilson
26th November 2014, 01:41 PM
Tested did an interview with Charpu (Carlos), which I thought many of you would find interesting. In the video you see Charpu's QAV250 with temporary arm extensions we were using after Charpu destroyed the 3D printed prototypes of the new Angled Motor Mount Extensions we made for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H19z1X3V4UQ

Pyrock
26th November 2014, 02:21 PM
Tested did an interview with Charpu (Carlos), which I thought many of you would find interesting. In the video you see Charpu's QAV250 with temporary arm extensions we were using after Charpu destroyed the 3D printed prototypes of the new Angled Motor Mount Extensions we made for him.

I saw those extensions on his rig last Sunday and asked him if those were the "new release" but like the true professional that he is, he said nope and left it at that. It WAS a big hint though. The funny thing is that when I saw how tilted his cameras were, I thought that he should probably tilt his motors but I didn't think much of it. The Gemini Hex came to mind.

Incidentally, He managed to clock 52 mph doing the tight racecourse that we set up. Just think if he had tilted rotors!!

Pyrock
26th November 2014, 02:25 PM
Here is evidence of his 52mph lap last weekend! The straight portion of the course where this was clocked was only about 50-60 yards long!

lvzx14
26th November 2014, 02:45 PM
Looks good, even tho the Angled motors are not "innovative" I'm curious to see how they actually perform.

Pyrock
26th November 2014, 03:17 PM
Looks good, even tho the Angled motors are not "innovative" I'm curious to see how they actually perform.

While the angled motors are not innovative, I think that the aftermarket adaptors are pretty innovative especially since on other adaptors like it are on the market.

mterzian
26th November 2014, 04:07 PM

Great vibes in this video!
Bravo!

Hally1983
26th November 2014, 04:20 PM
Thats good info but doesnt really answer the extra weight question.

Will we still be able to get 5-6 mins with all that extra weight using say a 1300 4s? Or what size of battery are we meant to use?

Tim can you confirm what you have seen on the test setup regarding average flight time?

Considering building a new CF setup on the 6" 4s new motors but not if the flight time is too low.

JG-rn
26th November 2014, 04:53 PM
Thats good info but doesnt really answer the extra weight question.

Will we still be able to get 5-6 mins with all that extra weight using say a 1300 4s? Or what size of battery are we meant to use?

Tim can you confirm what you have seen on the test setup regarding average flight time?

Considering building a new CF setup on the 6" 4s new motors but not if the flight time is too low.

I'd use the lumenier 4s 1800mah battery with the 2208s and 6" props

Marillion
26th November 2014, 07:09 PM

Excetly , the other 250 I have with 6inch props is good for cruising but for proximity I do prefare the qav with 5inch tho.

More wieght for the 6inch is needed IMO ..so I ordered bigger batteries.

Xerx
26th November 2014, 07:12 PM

Are you using escs with regenerative braking? Cause that makes a huge difference in how "floaty" the multirotor is.

Hally1983
26th November 2014, 07:15 PM
I'd use the lumenier 4s 1800mah battery with the 2208s and 6" props
do you think the 1800 on that setup will give 5min+?

JG-rn
26th November 2014, 09:56 PM

At least 5 minutes

JG-rn
26th November 2014, 09:56 PM

At least 5 minutes

RedSkimmer
27th November 2014, 02:25 AM
that will depend on which 6" props you're using ... I have a similar miniquad from a, cough, competitor, cough, running 6" props, 2208 motors, KISS ESCs and 1800 4s lipos. I fly quite aggressively and I get approximately 4-5mins on 6x3 props, and 2-3mins on 6x4.5 props.

Whats great about the new QAV stuff is that it'll give you the 10 degree angle of attack and the improved aerodynamics so that might make all the difference!!

Lets wait and see.

kgram
27th November 2014, 02:49 AM
The GetFPV website states that the CC3D Atom Lumeniere Edition supports Spektrum Satellite receivers. Does that require the addition of an inline 3.3v regulator or has that been resolved in this version of the board? See this thread on the Open Pilot Forum: http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Doc/Spektrum+Satellite

Hally1983
27th November 2014, 06:16 AM
that will depend on which 6" props you're using ... I have a similar miniquad from a, cough, competitor, cough, running 6" props, 2208 motors, KISS ESCs and 1800 4s lipos. I fly quite aggressively and I get approximately 4-5mins on 6x3 props, and 2-3mins on 6x4.5 props.

Whats great about the new QAV stuff is that it'll give you the 10 degree angle of attack and the improved aerodynamics so that might make all the difference!!

Lets wait and see.
Its the less than 5mins flight i dont want.

Not fussed about 6" props and 4s if thats the case.

So would there be much benefit to using the motor mount extentions with a regular 5" 2206-2350kv 3s setup?

mterzian
27th November 2014, 07:04 AM
Hi Lumenier :)
Just my 2cents: maybe you could design a simple tilted mount (no extension) for those who want to stay with 5" props / 3s and keep the tiny 250 size but are interested in the aerodynamic improvement of being level when flying forward?

Don't get me wrong, I love the new "things" :)

SkinWalk3r
27th November 2014, 09:34 AM
Just deleted the getfpv black Friday email. It's ten percent off store wide and was there a code for free shipping ?

mterzian
27th November 2014, 09:42 AM
Just deleted the getfpv black Friday email. It's ten percent off store wide and was there a code for free shipping ?

Mine says 5% off with code BLKSALE2014 + free shipping (US only) for orders over $60 - which doesn't help for those like me who doesn't live in the USA :)

JG-rn
27th November 2014, 10:27 AM
Just my 2cents: maybe you could design a simple tilted mount (no extension) for those who want to stay with 5" props / 3s and keep the tiny 250 size but are interested in the aerodynamic improvement of being level when flying forward?

I'd like to try that as well. Maybe I can use it on my BO super mini h.

Hally1983
27th November 2014, 11:48 AM
So are we saying the extended arms / tilt mount does nothing for our regular 3s setups? Or kits using 2350kvs...

Hally1983
27th November 2014, 12:18 PM
It would be nice to get some extra feedback on what these new products will do rather than just a statement to say it will make it more aerodynamic etc... for example by what percent will it increase speed? how much more agility for proximity? And my constant moan lol what will happen to flight time.

Some technical specs or estimates based on setups would be ideal.

And for example what is a reccomended setup to buy?

Its becoming a much more competitve market with all these frames and different setups coming out which also makes it difficult for the average joe like myself to decide what to spend the hard cash on.

Hopefully some good fellow will get there hands on one and give a good youtube tear down.

mterzian
27th November 2014, 12:22 PM
So are we saying the extended arms / tilt mount does nothing for our regular 3s setups? Or kits using 2350kvs...

Of course it does.
It improves the aerodynamic of the rig by keeping it level when moving forward.
This and the fact that it also improves the FPV experience (and filming) because the cameras stay level too :)
This alone justifies the few extra bucks investment:)

sickwitit
27th November 2014, 02:09 PM
Specs show this distribution board is for 10-18A. So does this mean it can't be used with the new 4S, 6"prop, 20A ESC conversion?

Marillion
27th November 2014, 02:26 PM

I think that would be a great option aswell !

Maybe next project ? :cool:

Marillion
27th November 2014, 02:29 PM
It would be nice to get some extra feedback on what these new products will do rather than just a statement to say it will make it more aerodynamic etc... for example by what percent will it increase speed? how much more agility for proximity? And my constant moan lol what will happen to flight time.

Some technical specs or estimates based on setups would be ideal.

And for example what is a reccomended setup to buy?

Its becoming a much more competitve market with all these frames and different setups coming out which also makes it difficult for the average joe like myself to decide what to spend the hard cash on.

Hopefully some good fellow will get there hands on one and give a good youtube tear down.

Charpu's vid says a lot about the increase in speed il guess and you can carry a bigger battery to get that added wieght balanced up for flight time.
Obvisiuly if you run on the same 1300mah you will get a hit on flying time

john_lenfr
27th November 2014, 04:54 PM
Received mine today. I'm in love :cool:

mterzian
27th November 2014, 04:59 PM
Joli John!!!

Hally1983
27th November 2014, 10:03 PM
Charpu's vid says a lot about the increase in speed il guess and you can carry a bigger battery to get that added wieght balanced up for flight time.
Obvisiuly if you run on the same 1300mah you will get a hit on flying time
What would be suitable to run on the frame? 1800mahs?

Rafael Torres
27th November 2014, 10:30 PM
Received mine today. I'm in love :cool:

You printed your name on it or it came with it? Who you had to kill for tim do that for you? kA

salmans21
28th November 2014, 01:00 AM
I ordered the extensions...but I am curious if I can run my current Lumenier esc's and Lumenier 2350 motors with the extensions and 6" props. I won't have enough $$ for new esc's and motors for another couple of weeks and don't want to ruin my current motors and esc's if they aren't capable of handling the 6" props.

john_lenfr
28th November 2014, 02:02 AM
You printed your name on it or it came with it? Who you had to kill for tim do that for you? kA
Made it myself [emoji6]

Hally1983
28th November 2014, 05:30 AM
I ordered the extensions...but I am curious if I can run my current Lumenier esc's and Lumenier 2350 motors with the extensions and 6" props. I won't have enough $$ for new esc's and motors for another couple of weeks and don't want to ruin my current motors and esc's if they aren't capable of handling the 6" props.
+1 because i am about to build a new CF edition so would like to know if i can add the same.

Some info back from the Manu to advise on setups would be great.

john_lenfr
28th November 2014, 05:36 AM
Hi all,

Could someone give me his dump for a naze for a qav250 cf with Fxc2206 lumenier motors?

Thanks [emoji6]

AlvaSpeed
28th November 2014, 09:04 AM
Do this 2 flight controllers have the same features (fly the same)?

Atom

http://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-frames/mini-multi-rotor-store/mini-flight-controllers/openpilot-cc3d-atom-mini-flight-controller.HTML

CC3D standard size

http://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-frames/mini-multi-rotor-store/mini-flight-controllers/openpilot-cc3d-flight-controller.html

Rafael Torres
28th November 2014, 09:38 AM
Do this 2 flight controllers have the same features (fly the same)?

Atom

http://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-frames/mini-multi-rotor-store/mini-flight-controllers/openpilot-cc3d-atom-mini-flight-controller.HTML

CC3D standard size

http://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-frames/mini-multi-rotor-store/mini-flight-controllers/openpilot-cc3d-flight-controller.html

Sure they have the same features. With the new acro+ mode that going to be the board!!!

lsone
28th November 2014, 10:09 AM

2 seconds in.... is that the new DJI??

ivc
28th November 2014, 11:15 AM
Here's an alternative to the official QAV250 angled motor mount extensions. It's for those who want a minimal light-weight tilt upgrade without needing to extend the ESC wires. It includes a flight controller tilt platform for an easy plug&play upgrade. Comes with all the necessary length hex button socket screws.

http://store.ivc.no/product/qav250-tilt10

Aileron
28th November 2014, 11:26 AM
I am also very interested in what C rated and MAH battery he is using with the new "Things"

RedSkimmer
28th November 2014, 03:36 PM
I am also very interested in what C rated and MAH battery he is using with the new "Things"

I'm not sure what C rating Charpu was using but you'll need at least a 30c Lipo. I found using 30C with 6x4.5 props the lipo got a bit warm and didn't give as much punch so I switched to the Nano Tech A Spec 65C-130C and they're awesome. They're more expensive, but they also give me peace of mind.

I also really recommend using the 18 amp KISS ESCs. They're slightly fiddly and the soldering pads are too way small - a loose connection or a cold solder joint WILL make cause the ESC to burn out and damage your motor, so you need to be really careful. But, they're amazingly smooth and the response feels really amazing!!

ZobZibZab
28th November 2014, 03:52 PM
im using afro escs which i replaced the capacitor of by a quality 470uf instead of the shitty one it comes with and that works fine :) but otherwise i would also get kiss escs or clones of these.

Pozzix
28th November 2014, 07:52 PM
A question guys...can I easily install cobra2208 on the qav's arms? Is it ok with the holes dimensions?
Thanks
Max

Rafael Torres
29th November 2014, 11:49 AM
im using afro escs which i replaced the capacitor of by a quality 470uf instead of the shitty one it comes with and that works fine :) but otherwise i would also get kiss escs or clones of these.

There are no clone of kiss esc, that is the ultimate esc, piece of art.
Expensive but worth it...

Hally1983
29th November 2014, 10:23 PM
If using the Fury PDB without tbs core and using the imrc vtx do you just solder the power to the vbatt pads? Also is this filtered?

Cheers

Rafael Torres
29th November 2014, 10:29 PM
If using the Fury PDB without tbs core and using the imrc vtx do you just solder the power to the vbatt pads? Also is this filtered?

Cheers

Vbatt pads soldered means the volt of the battery gonna go strait to your cam and vtx... So 4s batt will send over 16v to those...
And yes, it is filtered...
But since youre using imtx, that not gonna be a problem for the vtx, don't know about your cam setup, but carefull if not using 3s...

Hally1983
29th November 2014, 10:39 PM
Vbatt pads soldered means the volt of the battery gonna go strait to your cam and vtx... So 4s batt will send over 16v to those...
And yes, it is filtered...
But since youre using imtx, that not gonna be a problem for the vtx, don't know about your cam setup, but carefull if not using 3s...
its a 12v cam, thats perfect i was concerned the vbatt wasnt filtered. so whats the solution for 4s with a 12v cam? Asking incase i ever move to that. Im guessing you would have to add a tbs core or run direct to vtx 5v using a 12v stepup in between?

Cheers for info

Rafael Torres
29th November 2014, 10:56 PM
its a 12v cam, thats perfect i was concerned the vbatt wasnt filtered. so whats the solution for 4s with a 12v cam? Asking incase i ever move to that. Im guessing you would have to add a tbs core or run direct to vtx 5v using a 12v stepup in between?

Cheers for info
Several options, this is one of them...
If you do not want the core, better to use everything 5v...but then, why fury board? Modularity?
I can give you all the options tomorrow, going to bed now, there are some fancy ones...

Hally1983
1st December 2014, 08:18 AM
Several options, this is one of them...
If you do not want the core, better to use everything 5v...but then, why fury board? Modularity?
I can give you all the options tomorrow, going to bed now, there are some fancy ones...
The equipment i want to use is an imrc 600mw and a cxm1366 security cam so both are 12v and i would want it to be filtered.

Fury board looks quite neat and keeps the cabling under the board and its precut to size. Looking for a neat solution that saves as much weight as possible.

Not fussed about tbs core for 6mins flight not worth it and i wouldnt be going too far, may look at small buzzer for naze32 acro board for voltage alarm.

N3t3cho
1st December 2014, 09:31 PM
:cool:Well I finally did it... Broke the QAV250. Kinda sad but crazy impressed with how much abuse this thing took!! After hitting loads of trees, poles, and the ground.. the bottom plate finally split and one of the rear arms bent. I'll be ordering a new bottom plate soon, you guys have definitely impressed this guy.
Lumenier WuB!!

This was mainly a fun edit (trying out some new transitions and things).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g5wXbCQgzw&list=UUFw_Bjb6KH6mn038xOHhziA&index=1

Rafael Torres
1st December 2014, 11:32 PM
The equipment i want to use is an imrc 600mw and a cxm1366 security cam so both are 12v and i would want it to be filtered.

Fury board looks quite neat and keeps the cabling under the board and its precut to size. Looking for a neat solution that saves as much weight as possible.

Not fussed about tbs core for 6mins flight not worth it and i wouldnt be going too far, may look at small buzzer for naze32 acro board for voltage alarm.

If you're using 3s, that going to work great! Fury board are very neat and smart! And do not weight much over the original one...I think you're just thinking right, keep it simple and have fun! I'll be downgrading my equipment soon, I'm really tired of fancy things getting bad...I have a great setup, but can't have more than 30 flights before something really bad happens...

If I was you, I just use the 5v 2amps from imtx to power everything up, 5v cam( a new one in your case), board, radio TX, etc...and a buzzer... thats it. Can't be more simple than that...I use KISS Esc, which does not have a 5v BEC to power flight board and radio rx, thats why I would like to source everything from the imtx...
More fun, less fuzz...

crg5990
2nd December 2014, 01:45 AM
For those of you using a low voltage buzzer, how are you getting power to the vbat pads on a naze board?

samsking
2nd December 2014, 02:32 AM
Does anybody have a good naze32 setup for the new bullnose hq5x4.5 props? I've been struggling to find a decently a flyable setup and I cannot find that locked in feel.

brianalexander
2nd December 2014, 02:47 AM
crg5990 do you have pins on the 6 sockets where the frsky telemetry / buzzer / battery voltage area is on the naze32 board? I just soldered a JST connecter to the power distro board and hooked it up to the naze

Hally1983
2nd December 2014, 10:12 AM
If you're using 3s, that going to work great! Fury board are very neat and smart! And do not weight much over the original one...I think you're just thinking right, keep it simple and have fun! I'll be downgrading my equipment soon, I'm really tired of fancy things getting bad...I have a great setup, but can't have more than 30 flights before something really bad happens...

If I was you, I just use the 5v 2amps from imtx to power everything up, 5v cam( a new one in your case), board, radio TX, etc...and a buzzer... thats it. Can't be more simple than that...I use KISS Esc, which does not have a 5v BEC to power flight board and radio rx, thats why I would like to source everything from the imtx...
More fun, less fuzz...
Yeah i use the lumenier 3s 1300s for all my minis they are awesome batterys very happy with 3s and 5inch props.

I just sold my G10 version of the qav250 so looking to build another but CF edition this time no core and simplfied a little.

It flew well on CC3D but what i didnt like was the 5min flight time before the core was left with 20% mAh and that wasnt even fast flight.

The AUW came in at 622g and i had a pnp25 core / lc filter with the rather heavy 2206-2350kv motors.

Now i recently built a zmr250 clone and kept is fairly simple with dys 1806-2300kv motors, afro escs and its AUW is 540g flys for 6:30-7mins before lipo alarm goes at 3.6v and it flys really nice with a naze32 acro.

So im looking to invest my G10 sale money back in to a CF version of the QAV250 with a lighter setup to get the flight time more like the ZMR.

As you mentioned changing to a 5v cam i didnt want to spend more money tbh, but though the fury board could power both cam & vtx on 12v pads while providing filtered video. I dont want to install either an LC filter or a 12v stepup from IMRC to cam either, these are just dead weight and more to fail.

Both the CF 250 and the fury boards seem to be out of stock atm on getfpv too.

Another question you may can help with, is it really worth adding the 2206-2350kv motors rather than the 1806-2300s? Due to the increase in weight, how would the flight time change? Debating what motors to go for on the next build.

Thanks.

Chile Vuela
2nd December 2014, 02:32 PM
:cool:Well I finally did it... Broke the QAV250. Kinda sad but crazy impressed with how much abuse this thing took!! After hitting loads of trees, poles, and the ground.. the bottom plate finally split and one of the rear arms bent. I'll be ordering a new bottom plate soon, you guys have definitely impressed this guy.
Lumenier WuB!!

This was mainly a fun edit (trying out some new transitions and things).

Nice video! I had that same separation on my G10 frame. Zipties held it together for a pretty long time. I replaced with another G10 bottom plate frame and put reinforcing zipties on that too. :-)

Chile Vuela
2nd December 2014, 02:36 PM
Another question you may can help with, is it really worth adding the 2206-2350kv motors rather than the 1806-2300s? Due to the increase in weight, how would the flight time change? Debating what motors to go for on the next build.

Thanks.

I've had RCX 1804-2400kvs, SunnySky 2204-2300kv, and the Lumenier 2206-2350kv motors on my QAV250 frame at various points. Of the three, I like the Sunnysky the best.. They have enough power for my needs and they're low weight.

Hally1983
2nd December 2014, 03:41 PM
I've had RCX 1804-2400kvs, SunnySky 2204-2300kv, and the Lumenier 2206-2350kv motors on my QAV250 frame at various points. Of the three, I like the Sunnysky the best.. They have enough power for my needs and they're low weight.
Its a 64g increase from the 1806-2300 to the 2206-2350 lumeniers so im more interested in how much flight time and performance changes.

In my case im looking for endurance but responsive flight.

Chile Vuela
2nd December 2014, 04:04 PM
Well, more weight == less flight time with the same props. Anything you do to lower weight will increase flight time, as well as improve responsiveness.

Bigger diameter motors (22 series) have more torque than smaller ones (18 series). The 04 and 06 part of the motor number refer to the height. More height == larger magnet area, more torque in the same size motor.

If you want to swing a prop with with a greater pitch (5x4 or 5x4.5) or length (6x3, etc), you'll find that the 22 series motors will give you umph (quicker response, etc). Bigger props will give you more time in the air if you're gentle, but will quickly eat power if you're not.

It's all a trade-off. Best is to experiment to see which motor/prop combination best matches your flying style.

Pozzix
2nd December 2014, 04:53 PM
I'm waiting for cobra 2208 2000kv. My thoughts is to switch at 4s with 5x4hq.

N3t3cho
2nd December 2014, 05:05 PM
Nice video! I had that same separation on my G10 frame. Zipties held it together for a pretty long time. I replaced with another G10 bottom plate frame and put reinforcing zipties on that too. :-)

Thanks dude! Don't know why I didn't think about zipties.. I put some superglue lol.. you're genius man.
If I get a carbon fiber bottom plate.. it will work with the G10 top and power distribution? I figure yes but thought I better make sure.

Chile Vuela
2nd December 2014, 05:48 PM
Yes, top plate and power distribution are compatible. PDB is the same for both models, the top plate on the CF version is, predictably, CF, but with the same hole and cut out patterns.

juz
2nd December 2014, 06:04 PM
If I get a carbon fiber bottom plate.. it will work with the G10 top and power distribution? I figure yes but thought I better make sure.

Yep, you can use a CF plate with G10 top/PDB.

Hally1983
2nd December 2014, 06:23 PM
Well, more weight == less flight time with the same props. Anything you do to lower weight will increase flight time, as well as improve responsiveness.

Bigger diameter motors (22 series) have more torque than smaller ones (18 series). The 04 and 06 part of the motor number refer to the height. More height == larger magnet area, more torque in the same size motor.

If you want to swing a prop with with a greater pitch (5x4 or 5x4.5) or length (6x3, etc), you'll find that the 22 series motors will give you umph (quicker response, etc). Bigger props will give you more time in the air if you're gentle, but will quickly eat power if you're not.

It's all a trade-off. Best is to experiment to see which motor/prop combination best matches your flying style.
Im thinking possibly 18 series 2300kv for standard CF frame on 3s with gemfan 5" in that case to keep it light with good flight time. But i do have 2x 2206-2350 spare already to start the new build.

So just out of curiosity if we took the cf frame with the 2206-2350kvs would it be able to swing bigger props on 3s with the luminer 12amp escs? Or do we need to drop to 2000kv 4s and 18amp esc for 6" props?

Thanks for the info very helpfull to get good feedback.

N3t3cho
2nd December 2014, 07:32 PM
Yes, top plate and power distribution are compatible. PDB is the same for both models, the top plate on the CF version is, predictably, CF, but with the same hole and cut out patterns.

Awesome thank you guys! Ill probably go with that then. I seem to beat my minis up. :P

N3t3cho
2nd December 2014, 11:15 PM
Jerry rigged the frame so I could test out the new Openpilot firmware... it kicks so much a$$!
Quickie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X06bKLzWjjM

crg5990
3rd December 2014, 01:20 AM
For those of you using a low voltage buzzer, how are you getting power to the vbat pads on a naze board?

crg5990 do you have pins on the 6 sockets where the frsky telemetry / buzzer / battery voltage area is on the naze32 board? I just soldered a JST connecter to the power distro board and hooked it up to the naze

I don't have them soldered on but I do have them and will use them. Did you just take power from one of the spare sets of +/- pads on the pdb? I'm running 4s batteries and since every input to the naze is 5v, I'm not sure if I need to step down the voltage first

Also, to stay relevant to the current topic: I'm running the 2206 2000kv motors with 5x4 props on the cf frame, and at full throttle almost half the time, I'm getting almost 7 minutes of flight time with 1000 and 1300mah batts. 12a esc's, motors and batteries always come back stone cold too which is nice. Not a clue what my auw is though unfortunately.

sickwitit
3rd December 2014, 01:45 AM

Juz, will you be testing the new OP "Mini Me" firmware...or are you done with OP controllers?

Hally1983
3rd December 2014, 11:12 AM
Tim/Andy,

Do we have any ETA on the 250 carbon fibre frame and the fury PDB coming back instock at getfpv yet?

Cheers

timnilson
3rd December 2014, 02:38 PM
Tim/Andy,

Do we have any ETA on the 250 carbon fibre frame and the fury PDB coming back instock at getfpv yet?

Cheers

Both should be back in stock either later this week or early next week.

john_lenfr
3rd December 2014, 03:13 PM
Hi all,
Would like to know if the case for the QAV250 is waterproof? I'm not sure because of the automatic purge valve.
And what is the goal of the automatic purge valve?

Sorry if the question was already talk here.

timnilson
3rd December 2014, 04:05 PM
Hi all,
Would like to know if the case for the QAV250 is waterproof? I'm not sure because of the automatic purge valve.
And what is the goal of the automatic purge valve?

Sorry if the question was already talk here.

Yes, the QAV250 case is waterproof to military spec MIL-STD-C-4150J. The ambient pressure purge valve is there to prevent the case to explode or implode when flying. The pressure purge valve is to military spec MIL-STD-648C if you're interested.

Pozzix
3rd December 2014, 05:54 PM
It's few time that I switched in rate mode with naze. I flew acro in rate some time ago in LOS but fpv u know, is another story. So here the Qav before and after the crash of my last (seventh in rate) flight. Tim, it will be possible in the future, provide a better landing gear with another design? I have had a lot of replacement 'cause they seem a little weak.

Thanks,
Max

Before
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/03/126c966e77e32ea5520d021fef43fa0a.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/03/24e194f84fa61e6f0411a2d1ebb81c5f.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/03/cc9b14f540ac0aa747fc40ae5c305d74.jpg

and after...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/03/50f10eb936508da6b60aba7cece4338a.jpg

Not a huge crash but this frame is awesome and hard to die...damage report: only one prop break and mobius launched 3mt. away

Video of the crash http://fpvlab.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vup_GkVngzM&list=UUsXMmTEXGbPkWPek3HUYCGQ

Max

juz
3rd December 2014, 06:06 PM
Juz, will you be testing the new OP "Mini Me" firmware...or are you done with OP controllers?

Yeah, I have been testing it this week. I have some motor issues that are holding me back a little. I am not having any luck with tuning either. Just takes soooo long to tune compared to Naze32 (I am not the best at tuning). Would love to see some solid settings if anyone has any. Thing is, I have my Naze flying so nicely that I am finding it hard to justify spending valuable time mucking around with OP stuff.

chatch
3rd December 2014, 07:52 PM
Thing is, I have my Naze flying so nicely that I am finding it hard to justify spending valuable time mucking around with OP stuff.

you sound like me two years ago :p

AlvaSpeed
3rd December 2014, 09:56 PM
I am getting opto escīs.

What bec are you guys using?

sickwitit
3rd December 2014, 11:03 PM
Yes, the QAV250 case is waterproof to military spec MIL-STD-C-4150J. The ambient pressure purge valve is there to prevent the case to explode or implode when flying. The pressure purge valve is to military spec MIL-STD-648C if you're interested.

Tim, any plans on selling another custom case that will perfectly fit the new arm extensions? This case is one of the sickest accessories for your 250.

Yeah, I have been testing it this week. I have some motor issues that are holding me back a little. I am not having any luck with tuning either. Just takes soooo long to tune compared to Naze32 (I am not the best at tuning). Would love to see some solid settings if anyone has any. Thing is, I have my Naze flying so nicely that I am finding it hard to justify spending valuable time mucking around with OP stuff.

Juz, your honesty is much appreciated. Might be time for me to jump on the Naze train.

Chile Vuela
3rd December 2014, 11:52 PM
It's few time that I switched in rate mode with naze. I flew acro in rate some time ago in LOS but fpv u know, is another story. So here the Qav before and after the crash of my last (seventh in rate) flight. Tim, it will be possible in the future, provide a better landing gear with another design? I have had a lot of replacement 'cause they seem a little weak.

I use cheap 40mm nylon standoffs as my gear. They last a long time and are cheap as chips if you happen to mangle one too badly. (zipties, nylon standoffs.. I'm all about cheap!)

john_lenfr
4th December 2014, 04:52 AM

Thanks for infos Tim.
I don't know that this case has military specs!
Too bad it is not detailed on Getfpv features product page.

;)

sickwitit
5th December 2014, 12:22 AM
Tim, Andy, anybody from getfpv,

What range of flight times can we expect from your new 6" prop on 4s setup?

I see Charpu likes to run the GoPro on his new setup. How much does this affect battery size/weight for the CG? What size battery is giving you guys the best flight times?

Hally1983
5th December 2014, 09:57 AM
Tim, Andy, anybody from getfpv,

What range of flight times can we expect from your new 6" prop on 4s setup?

I see Charpu likes to run the GoPro on his new setup. How much does this affect battery size/weight for the CG? What size battery is giving you guys the best flight times?
+1 i asked various technical questions a few pages back but no reply from the experts. Could do with getting some feedback to help decide what setup to purchase for the new build. Im sure a lot of people are interested.

Chile Vuela
5th December 2014, 11:11 AM
I'd like to answer you, but have no experience with 6" props nor with 4s batteries on miniquads. Unfortunately, probably the best answer you'll get is try it and see. I have a feeling you can get by with 12amp escs on 3S and 6".. but what size motor you'll need and what kind of flight times you'll get I can't tell you exactly.

Pozzix
5th December 2014, 11:34 AM
Some time ago I asking for the ability of the qav frame to support cobra 2208. My next project regarding these motors with 5x4hq and 4s. I suppose that these kind of motor (tmotor would be the same) are able to spin 6'' with ext arms.
Max

sickwitit
5th December 2014, 03:41 PM
Yes, the Cobra 2208 will work. Charpu was testing with the Cobra 2204 1960kv before he switched to the heavier Lumenier 2208 2000kv (not available).

Tim, Andy, getfpv, Lumenier test pilots...why can't you provide more details or specifics, or suggestions for your new 6" on 4s setup...or provide any answers to our questions? Do you have other higher priorities at the moment? Many of us are very excited about this conversion. Please just let us know what's going on.

Hally1983
5th December 2014, 04:13 PM
Yes, the Cobra 2208 will work. Charpu was testing with the Cobra 2204 1960kv before he switched to the heavier Lumenier 2208 2000kv (not available).

Tim, Andy, getfpv, Lumenier test pilots...why can't you provide more details or specifics, or suggestions for your new 6" on 4s setup...or provide any answers to our questions? Do you have other higher priorities at the moment? Many of us are very excited about this conversion. Please just let us know what's going on.
Not to sound like a broken record but +1 we need some answers please.

I personally dont have the money to buy every setup and test so anything you can tell on your findings / testing would help.

The info im interested in is below:

1: Whats the most efficent setup (longest flight time) for a 3s setup using the CF frame.
IE motor / esc amp / prop size / approx auw / flight time...

2: Same question but whats the best performance setup on a 3s

3: Same 2 questions as above but running 4s...

Any ballpark figures or setup advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Pyrock
5th December 2014, 06:44 PM
Not to sound like a broken record but +1 we need some answers please.

I personally dont have the money to buy every setup and test so anything you can tell on your findings / testing would help.

The info im interested in is below:

1: Whats the most efficent setup (longest flight time) for a 3s setup using the CF frame.
IE motor / esc amp / prop size / approx auw / flight time...

2: Same question but whats the best performance setup on a 3s

3: Same 2 questions as above but running 4s...

Any ballpark figures or setup advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,

I am by no means an expert but I had similar questions so I can tell you what I tried on my CF QAV250 and what I learned:

1. I got good flight times with smooth flights using EMAX 1804 2480KV Motors on 3S with EMAX 12amp ESC's running 5x3 props and 3S 1300mah NanoTechs. Flight times were well over 6 minutes of cruising and zipping through trees. AUW was around 450-500 grams.

2. For more performance, I went to DYS 1806 2300KV on 3S 1300 mah running 5x4 props and flight times dropped slightly but weight went slightly north of 500g and change. Pretty peppy though. The extra weight wasn't that noticeable due to the extra power.

3. For 4S, I swapped out the ESC's for the Lumenier 12amp N-FET ESC's (4S capable) and kept the 5x4 props or 5x3x3 from Gemfan (yes, playing with fire here but I rarely go full throttle). AUW went up to 550g and then some but again, the extra power made it feel light. It was very peppy and almost beyond my skills but I eventually got used to them. I'm hoping that the new version of CC3D will help tame the beast and make it feel more locked in...so far so good in that dept...Love version 14.10. So far, I've only been able to hover this setup due to weather and time availability but I think I'm sticking to this. I do, however, miss the chill flying ability and slightly longer flight times of the setup in #1. With my current 4S setup, I'm getting about 5:30min of medium aggressive flying... only limited by my skills at this point which is some racing, zipping through trees with some flips and rolls tossed in for good measure. If/When I do more flying at full throttle, I may invest in the bigger Lumenier ESC's like what Charpu uses. Until then, I will just fly it like I stole it. Fried ESC's are the perfect excuse to upgrade but then I don't even have the skills for that yet. I know this is limited info but at least it should get you started. Just keep an eye on KV values, motor temps, prop pitch/size, and ESC limits.

Here is a good link on some motor/prop/battery combos wit thrust numbers. In this thread, there are other links to different motor tests. Good luck!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2180080#post28563937

timnilson
6th December 2014, 12:21 AM
I am by no means an expert but I had similar questions so I can tell you what I tried on my CF QAV250 and what I learned:

1. I got good flight times with smooth flights using EMAX 1804 2480KV Motors on 3S with EMAX 12amp ESC's running 5x3 props and 3S 1300mah NanoTechs. Flight times were well over 6 minutes of cruising and zipping through trees. AUW was around 450-500 grams.

2. For more performance, I went to DYS 1806 2300KV on 3S 1300 mah running 5x4 props and flight times dropped slightly but weight went slightly north of 500g and change. Pretty peppy though. The extra weight wasn't that noticeable due to the extra power.

3. For 4S, I swapped out the ESC's for the Lumenier 12amp N-FET ESC's (4S capable) and kept the 5x4 props or 5x3x3 from Gemfan (yes, playing with fire here but I rarely go full throttle). AUW went up to 550g and then some but again, the extra power made it feel light. It was very peppy and almost beyond my skills but I eventually got used to them. I'm hoping that the new version of CC3D will help tame the beast and make it feel more locked in...so far so good in that dept...Love version 14.10. So far, I've only been able to hover this setup due to weather and time availability but I think I'm sticking to this. I do, however, miss the chill flying ability and slightly longer flight times of the setup in #1. With my current 4S setup, I'm getting about 5:30min of medium aggressive flying... only limited by my skills at this point which is some racing, zipping through trees with some flips and rolls tossed in for good measure. If/When I do more flying at full throttle, I may invest in the bigger Lumenier ESC's like what Charpu uses. Until then, I will just fly it like I stole it. Fried ESC's are the perfect excuse to upgrade but then I don't even have the skills for that yet. I know this is limited info but at least it should get you started. Just keep an eye on KV values, motor temps, prop pitch/size, and ESC limits.

Here is a good link on some motor/prop/battery combos wit thrust numbers. In this thread, there are other links to different motor tests. Good luck!

Thanks for your post. The point of the new accessories is to maximize speed, not necessarily flight time. We are still doing more testing on what good combos are on 4s and 6 inch props as well as our new motors. More data will become available soon.

sickwitit
6th December 2014, 01:16 AM
Tim, any ETA on the arm extensions?

Aileron
6th December 2014, 01:12 PM
Flight time won't be to much of an issue for me. Normally I crash after 2-3 minutes in anycase, now I will just do it going much faster when I get the new upgrades. :p

Hally1983
6th December 2014, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the info and the link was good to check the specs for the DYS motors as i have a load of them for my clone builds.
Ive actually just purchased the Blackout Mini H quad for my next project, found a lot more info on setups within blackouts forum post on the open pilot forums and i have found a combo which will suit so we will see how it goes.

AlvaSpeed
6th December 2014, 08:08 PM
I have on order
QAV250
Motors, esc for 4S
InmersionRC 600mw transmitter
Lumenier CS-600 camera
IB Crazy Bluebeam Ultra antenna set
CC3D Atom
Props

Going to use 4S batteries.

What do I need to power the camera, FC and video transmitter?
What else do I need to order? :confused:

Steezus
6th December 2014, 08:22 PM
I like to use a Core or Core PNP25 if you don't like to solder. What is nice is that it provides filtered power, but just make sure you can at least solder the bridge pads to select the proper voltage for your cam and vtx. You also get a minimal osd which includes voltage and rssi. Voltage is absolutely necessary if you are not flying within earshot of a voltage alarm attached to your lipo.

I'm kind of a fan of using a PNP and making everything plug and play that I can so that I can swap out as many components including the PNP between all of your aircraft as easily as possible and save some money on parts.

You can also just make your own power harness and solder on a cheap power filter, but I have not yet done that yet so someone else can chime in with a good tutorial and parts list.

Rafael Torres
6th December 2014, 09:50 PM
I have on order
QAV250
Motors, esc for 4S
InmersionRC 600mw transmitter
Lumenier CS-600 camera
IB Crazy Bluebeam Ultra antenna set
CC3D Atom
Props

Going to use 4S batteries.

What do I need to power the camera, FC and video transmitter?
What else do I need to order? :confused:

Well, you already have every...
The immersion vtx provides 5v 2 a, so everything is 5v, just make a harness and should work great...
But, you need a 5v camera, kkk

You can't go simple than that... Rock solid setup.

Aileron
6th December 2014, 11:39 PM
Well, you already have every...
The immersion vtx provides 5v 2 a, so everything is 5v, just make a harness and should work great...
But, you need a 5v camera, kkk

You can't go simple than that... Rock solid setup.

You don't need a 5V camera. I have the same setup. But I use the ImmersionRC 5v-12v step up regulator, soldered in between my VTX and cam.

Rafael Torres
7th December 2014, 12:04 AM
You don't need a 5V camera. I have the same setup. But I use the ImmersionRC 5v-12v step up regulator, soldered in between my VTX and cam.

Youre right, but I mean that he doesn't need a volt reg if he uses a 5v cam, simple is better...

Rafael Torres
7th December 2014, 12:08 AM

Youre right, but I mean that he doesn't need a volt reg if he uses a 5v cam, simple is better...

Nightram
7th December 2014, 06:35 AM
I want to upgrade the cc3d but the damn open pilot site is down

Sgt. Schultz
7th December 2014, 11:32 AM
I did THIS (http://untestedprototype.com/2013/10/12-volt-super-simple-osd/) with my ImmersionRC VTx, works great and does not weight much.

mterzian
9th December 2014, 04:08 AM
I did THIS (http://untestedprototype.com/2013/10/12-volt-super-simple-osd/) with my ImmersionRC VTx, works great and does not weight much.

Nicely done Sir!

mterzian
9th December 2014, 04:48 AM
Bonjour everyone,

I have 2 questions: one for the CC3D nerds and one for the Naze32 maniacs ;)
Don't worry, both are QAV250 related - sort of :)

1- Can you have a telemetry feed between a CC3D and a Taranis?
2- How do you mount a naze32 on a qav250 and avoid wires on the sides?

1- I now have a CC3D and it's perfectly fitting in the belly of the QAV250 with no wires out and room for everything on the bottom plate.
http://i.imgur.com/t0Kot1u.jpg (don't mind the VTx - there's now an ImmersionRC 5.8GHz 600 mw)

BUT I want to use telemetry features of my new Taranis.
And especially for voltage alarm!
(d4r-ii seems to sell like hotcakes these days BTW)

I can't find any information about how to do that.
Any idea?

2- On the other hand, there's plenty of information about the Naze32 telemetry connection.
Like this excellent video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7KpBGDxZQ4
Seems easy as connecting 2 plugs on the board
- 1 from the power board to the VBAT pins and
- 1 from the telemetry pins to the FrSky receiver

BUT I tried to mount one acro Naze32 (on the QAV250 - between top and bottom plates, where its supposed to be).
You definitely need straight pins (and not right angled, as I poorly chose).
The breakout cable connector that goes on the receiver pins (5x2) is so bulky on the side, there's no way you can mount the beautiful aero guards...
It got bad when I tried to replace the receiver pins with right angled pins. When I connected the huge 5x2 connector, I broke 2 solder pads pushing too hard.
Stupid mistake. Need a new board :(

How do you mount yours?
I know Charpu has been using Naze32 and aero guards.
How does that fit?

Sorry that was long...

Thank you for your help :)
Cheers,
Mathieu

john_lenfr
9th December 2014, 07:55 AM
Bonjour everyone,

I have 2 questions: one for the CC3D nerds and one for the Naze32 maniacs ;)
Don't worry, both are QAV250 related - sort of :)

1- Can you have a telemetry feed between a CC3D and a Taranis?

1- I now have a CC3D and it's perfectly fitting in the belly of the QAV250 with no wires out and room for everything on the bottom plate.
http://i.imgur.com/t0Kot1u.jpg (don't mind the VTx - there's now an ImmersionRC 5.8GHz 600 mw)

BUT I want to use telemetry features of my new Taranis.
And especially for voltage alarm!
(d4r-ii seems to sell like hotcakes these days BTW)

I can't find any information about how to do that.
Any idea?

2- On the other hand, there's plenty of information about the Naze32 telemetry connection.
Like this excellent video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7KpBGDxZQ4
Seems easy as connecting 2 plugs on the board
- 1 from the power board to the VBAT pins and
- 1 from the telemetry pins to the FrSky receiver

BUT I tried to mount one acro Naze32 (on the QAV250 - between top and bottom plates, where its supposed to be).
You definitely need straight pins (and not right angled, as I poorly chose).
The breakout cable connector that goes on the receiver pins (5x2) is so bulky on the side, there's no way you can mount the beautiful aero guards...
It got bad when I tried to replace the receiver pins with right angled pins. When I connected the huge 5x2 connector, I broke 2 solder pads pushing too hard.
Stupid mistake. Need a new board :(

How do you mount yours?
I know Charpu has been using Naze32 and aero guards.
How does that fit?

Sorry that was long...

Thank you for your help :)
Cheers,
Mathieu

Try to mount the naze board rotate 90°, then you will have connectors pointing on top and front; )

mterzian
9th December 2014, 08:13 AM
Merci John ;)
Then I have to find another place for my Rx antenna (or a different way to mount it).
One (more) question: is it possible to set 90 degrees rotation in baseflight AND 10 degrees tilt for the motors (tilted mount)?

john_lenfr
9th December 2014, 08:29 AM
Merci John ;)
Then I have to find another place for my Rx antenna (or a different way to mount it).
One (more) question: is it possible to set 90 degrees rotation in baseflight AND 10 degrees tilt for the motors (tilted mount)?
Yes it is, you will have to change some variables

mterzian
9th December 2014, 08:51 AM
Yes it is, you will have to change some variables

Thanks John!
I'll look into that when my new board arrives IF I don't screw it up again ;)

sickwitit
10th December 2014, 12:09 AM
Tim, Andy, anyone,

What's the ETA on the arm extensions?

702FPV
10th December 2014, 12:20 AM
Canelo -- there is never a perfect moment in releasing a new version of a product (for any company). If it is critical to you to have the new version and you feel that you are entitled to the new version, please contact us again on support AT getfpv.com, mention our exchange, and we'll give you an RMA number so you can return the previous frame you bought.

It does not get any better than that!

xjet
10th December 2014, 12:44 AM
Bonjour everyone,

Simply solder a servo-lead (half an extension) onto the three pads on the side of your Naze32 board (where the bulky multi-pin connector for servo leads would otherwise go) and plug that into Channel 1 (the CPPM output) of your D4RII receiver and you're done.

I don't solder those connectors to the side of the board, I just run the three wires to the receiver and that works perfectly.

mterzian
10th December 2014, 01:59 AM
Simply solder a servo-lead (half an extension) onto the three pads on the side of your Naze32 board (where the bulky multi-pin connector for servo leads would otherwise go) and plug that into Channel 1 (the CPPM output) of your D4RII receiver and you're done.

I don't solder those connectors to the side of the board, I just run the three wires to the receiver and that works perfectly.

This is brilliant!
Bravo and a huge THANK YOU :)