PDA

View Full Version : Beware !

foufly
30th October 2011, 04:40 PM
I lost a well equiped plane today due to a mobile phone battery!!
My VR1400 goggles ( and others) use these cursed things; it doesn't matter if your phone dies on you, it does if your video dies on you!! I realized i could have changed it for the spare one in time to save the plane, but did not have it with me.There is no reliable way of knowing their reserve or their health, and if you keep topping them up out of caution , you limit the capacity!. I have researched the bits needed to adapt the cable for a lipo but hesitated over the wiring ( being a novice at electronics). The Fatsharks dont have this problem; the Cinnemizers do I believe. THEY DO NOT SUIT FPV.
I hope someone finds it ,it has my address.....
Perhaps we should start a thread relating losses/crashes and the reasons for them, for the benefit of all;

aeryck
30th October 2011, 05:01 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, man. I hope you recover the aircraft.

I use a pair of Headplay goggles, but my ground station also has a backup 5" LCD monitor that is always on paired with the video output.. In the event of a goggle malfunction (And anyone who's ever used Headplays knows how picky that connector is that hooks the goggle unit to the mis-named "liberator" unit,) I can remove the goggles and use the LCD display as a backup. (It also allows spectators to view my flight camera as well.)

man2000me
30th October 2011, 05:22 PM
I power my rvisions from a 5v ubec on the ground station. But I also have another set of goggles incase.

foufly
31st October 2011, 03:07 AM
Thanks both, I will use one of your suggestions , or both.
Some questions ; how do I power an Lcd monitor?
Are rvisions the same as VR1400's? Please describe your wiring to set this up.
I am not the only pilot who would like the airborne stuff to be as cheap as possible! I think we should encourage the makers to load the prices towards the ground station side.

Greedz
31st October 2011, 03:37 AM
Some questions ; how do I power an Lcd monitor?

Got a laptop? get an analog capture card, usb or pcmcia. Makes a good failsafe + recording device... can be abit cumbersome though.

foufly
31st October 2011, 05:32 AM
I have found ,on ebay , a 3.5inch screen that seems to have appropriate av and power plugs ,and runs on 12v. I presume I could just power it from the 3S lipo I use for rx's and ET diversity, a fourth branch to the "domino" . I would appreciate any other info on monitors, and sources, as this may be too small? Thanks guys.

aeryck
31st October 2011, 08:13 AM
I have found ,on ebay , a 3.5inch screen that seems to have appropriate av and power plugs ,and runs on 12v. I presume I could just power it from the 3S lipo I use for rx's and ET diversity, a fourth branch to the "domino" . I would appreciate any other info on monitors, and sources, as this may be too small? Thanks guys.

The display I have is about a 4" diagonal color LCD. It runs off 12v and can easily be powered by a 3S lipo or a 12v SLA battery. The picture is small compared to what you see in a pair of goggles, but it would be enough that you can turn your plane around and get it close enough to land LOS. I'll look around and see if I have any more; I had acquired a couple of them as part of a project that was scrapped before it was completed.

If I have an extra one, just pay me the shipping and you can have it, since replacing the plane is already going to be a cost issue for you. I'll let you know this evening when I get home from work.

man2000me
31st October 2011, 10:27 AM
I will take picture of what I have done when I get home. But basicly I soldered a servo connector to the power in of the battery box and a servo wire along my rca cables to the ground station. The previous owner of the goggles made a wooden dummy battery with power poles that fit where the real battery would have went. I have also powered the goggles this way with 5v with no issues. I've been doing this since I started FPVing, I guess 2 years ago. Very easy mod, and make the system redundent. Powered by ground station, and having a battery in the goggles.

IBCrazy
31st October 2011, 12:11 PM
I build a 5V power source into all of my ground stations with multiple adapters to charge everything from my goggles to my recorders. The battery in the devices is the back-up incase the power supply fails. The only place I do not have that redundancy is my fatsharks.

-Alex

aaron_gx
31st October 2011, 01:02 PM
I hacked apart a 3s2200 with one bad cell, and used a 1s2200 to power my rvisions. I can fly 3 or 4 times before the voltage drops below 3.86v. Love it.

foufly
31st October 2011, 04:35 PM
Wow! That is a lot of help- lots to work on. I think the screen is a must as a back-up and I will try the lipo alternative as well.
I have in fact lost two planes ( I live close to deep forested gorges) and thought I had ruled out most of the risks........!
I will try 5volts and see what happens. The goggles require 3.75V, on vera...We are stuck using stuff that was not meant for us- just about all of it!

SENTRY
31st October 2011, 10:43 PM
I build a 5V power source into all of my ground stations with multiple adapters to charge everything from my goggles to my recorders. The battery in the devices is the back-up incase the power supply fails. The only place I do not have that redundancy is my fatsharks.

-Alex

** I record every flight - WITHOUT FAIL. I do not see it as a nuisance. The AIPTEK screen also doubles as an emergency screen to get you home

** I have 2x Fatshark batts fully charged every time. I keep the 2nd in my right back pocket EVERY flight. I even have practiced the battery swap in-flight lots of timesso it feel natural when/if I ever need to do it.

--> You can also build a 2S parallel connector for 2x batteries to extend their runtime.

** I ALWAYS have my passenger goggles (Trimersions) on the ground and ready for actions as well.

I want my plane back every time I take it out.

man2000me
31st October 2011, 10:53 PM

man2000me
31st October 2011, 10:54 PM
more pics39583959

foufly
1st November 2011, 04:23 AM
Great ! Pity I didn't ask this a week ago!! Experience is a hard school....
A single cell lipo range is 4.2v down to say 3.7v. That looks right? I will take the wires out to the base station and connect to a good capacity single cell ...??
AND set up a monitor or spare set of goggles.
Thanks for the support guys.

foufly
1st November 2011, 04:26 AM
Ps HK has a Nano tech IS 350mah -will try that (voltage, duration).

man2000me
1st November 2011, 06:26 AM
I also use 5v on the fake battery. No problem. So if they are they same goggles it will work on 5v.

foufly
1st November 2011, 10:38 AM
One more question please : how are you supplying 5v? I thought of either the single cell or a 2s with a regulator..?

aeryck
1st November 2011, 10:57 AM
One more question please : how are you supplying 5v? I thought of either the single cell or a 2s with a regulator..?

A switching BEC would work nicely for supplying 5v so long as you dont exceed the current rating. You may need to filter it if it causes unwanted interference in your ground station gear, however.