PDA

View Full Version : TBS Pro gimbal

mark logan
2nd October 2013, 02:31 PM
Hi everyone, Including Trappy if he is there!

I have had the tbs pro gimbal for about a week now and have flown it yet!
i do however have a problem with the gimbal set up.
On powering on, everything initialises as it should but there is then an herendus high pitch squeel from somewhere, this squeel is so high i can hear it all over the house, the roll motor workes fine and gimgles correctly, but the pitch although motorised does not move as it should, i can move it manually and it stayes, but it does not gimbal.
I have used the Gimbal software from GUI to set it up and in accordance with your pdf file and all indications are normal, when i move the quad the roll gimbal moves and the indication on the software moves accordingley but the pitch indicator moves on the software but not on the quad.
can anyone out there in technical land send me a working copy of their (GUI Profile) so i can write it to my system for fault diagnosis
OR
Trappy,
if you have a flying TBS Pro that works and has a stable config could you please e-mail it to me?
marklogan78@btinternet.com
thank you all for yourhelp in advance

PeteDee
2nd October 2013, 11:09 PM
If you are hearing a high pitched scream then that may well be a faulty gimbal ESC, it is not unusual for brushless gimbal ESC's to have a bit of a whine but if it is really loud then something is possible faulty, my Pro gimbal is completely silent, my ARRIS CM-2000 makes a little whine that is only just noticable.

Pete

MattJ
2nd October 2013, 11:52 PM
Hi Mark

I have just got my disco pro and the gimbal on mine makes a slight hum but nothing like you are saying, I will try and download my settings file and send it over to you to see if that helps

Trappy
3rd October 2013, 05:26 AM
did you use the correct screws to assemble the gimbal? there are dedicated screws to mounting the motors, if you used some other ones you could short the motor somehow and this would explain the noise. please upload some pictures so we can take a look at what you got and help you from there.

mark logan
3rd October 2013, 10:06 AM
Hi Trappy
I am relatively new to the forums
if i need to upload a small video to explain my problem how do i do that on this forum because a picture or in this case a video does tell a thousand words!

thanks for your help,
Mark.

mark logan
3rd October 2013, 10:07 AM
Hi Trappy
I am relatively new to the forums
if i need to upload a small video to explain my problem how do i do that on this forum because a picture or in this case a video does tell a thousand words!

thanks for your help,
Mark.

mark logan
3rd October 2013, 10:11 AM
Hi there,
If you could send me your saved settings that would be great. it would help so much with the fault diagnosis of my problem.
Thanks,
Mark.

marklogan78@btinternet.com

DiscoTuna
3rd October 2013, 11:02 AM
To get a video up i think you have to get it to youtube and post the link.

for pic, when you are posting, click the attachments paperclip and then upload through that and it will put the image inline

mark logan
3rd October 2013, 12:41 PM
Hi Trappy
I managed to create a you-tube account and uploaded my TBS Gimbal problem video there
i hope you will look at it, and let me know what you think.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI7S1mzg9Jc
Kind regards,
Mark

SeBsZ
3rd October 2013, 02:36 PM
My gimbal also makes a horrendous high pitch squeek that can be heard throughout the house, but only on profile 2. Profile 1 is the silent frequency. Profile 2 is selected automatically only when you turn on the motors and start taking off.

Are you guys saying this high pitch sound (really loud, it hurts my ears) is not normal on Profile2?

For some reason I can not get these profiles to work properly when I upgraded the firmware of SimpleBGC to 2.2b2. I reverted to 2.1 and everything works okay.

EDIT: mark logan, I noticed from your video you are using 2.2b2. If you downgrade the firmware (using Xloader) to 2.1 and select Profile 1, then choose the High (Silent) frequency, and click Write. You will find that the high pitched noise will disappear. I'm still waiting for someone to explain if there's something wrong with 2.2b2. Let me know if it works!

mark logan
3rd October 2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks a million for that, it worked ! no more high pitched squealing. Now all i need to do is to get the pitch side of the system to work as well as the roll..... Pitch not working at all.
If you have any ideas about that then you will be on my Christmas list forever!
kind regards,
Mark.

ebeez
4th October 2013, 09:24 PM
Hi thee,
I loaded 2.2b2 and no issues at all.. not sure there is a reason to upgrade but mine seems to work fine once I did the proper calibration.

SeBsZ
5th October 2013, 03:45 PM
ebeez, I'd like to know how you managed to load 2.2b2, and not have it make a high pitched squeel. As soon as I load it on the device, the squeeling starts. With 2.1, if I select Profile 1 and hit write, the squeeling stops immediately. It's almost as if 2.2b2 does not switch properly between profile 1 and 2. Strange, seems like not everyone has this problem?

ebeez
5th October 2013, 06:41 PM
Hi SeBsZ,
Once I upgraded I had to sell all the parameters to the same as 2.1 including the frequency to High which will make the motors silent. the x and y axis setting will also need to be changed as well. I took a screen shot of before and then after. Hope this helps.

TZZDC1241
5th October 2013, 07:18 PM
You lose accuracy when selecting high (silent). Once up in the air the Pro switches to profile 2 which selects Low (noisy) which is more accurate at holding the gimbal. These two settings have NOTHING to do with whether you're running 2.1 or 2.2b2.

If you want to make changes to the way the gimbal runs on the Pro, PROFILE 2 is where to do it in.

mark logan
5th October 2013, 07:18 PM
Hi there,
how do i gain access to your screen shot to see your settings. it would be helpful to see the differences between the two.
can you possibly email me your settings that would be very helpful because try as i might i cant get the pitch axis to work!
im sure im missing something in my settings
thanks for your help on advance.
mark.

email:- marklogan78@btinternet.com

mark logan
6th October 2013, 07:53 PM
Hi Gents,
I am back to my original question!
Does anyone have a fully working profile for the TBS discovery Pro Gimbal systen they can email me Please, or can anyone explain why the
pitch gimbal although getting power is not tracking the same way the roll is.
Kind regards,
Mark.

DiscoTuna
6th October 2013, 08:05 PM
Try these

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?19234-THE-TBS-DISCOVERY-PRO-Flight-videos&p=328084&viewfull=1#post328084

mark logan
7th October 2013, 08:27 PM
No Still not working in pitch, roll is fine and silent pitch is getting power but no movement whatsoever i am getting really pissed now.
this thing should work fine from the box and adjusted as necessary but its not..... What the F*>K is wrong!
does anyone have any more ideas.
Kind regards,
Mark.

MattJ
8th October 2013, 11:11 AM
Mark take a chill pill !! I know how frustrating things can be but it's the FPV world and it's about experimenting with things.

The kit isn't sold as "ready to bolt on" but it's a good gimble for the price!

If you have wanted something like what your asking why didn't you go to a quadcopter retailer and buy a ARTF kit

mark logan
8th October 2013, 09:18 PM
Comment noted but still a bit patronizing!
but never mind,
if you have a TBS discovery pro and the gimbal is working fine in all aspects why not send your settings it me
and ill see if its my machine or the settings my settings that are at fault,
my email is in the thread.
Thanks ,
Mark.

michaelwang07
9th October 2013, 03:03 AM
but never mind,
if you have a TBS discovery pro and the gimbal is working fine in all aspects why not send your settings it me
Thanks ,
Mark.

Hey Mark,

I feel your pain~~~~~ I was having the same problems until last week when i got my replacement motors. It turned out i had the wrong screws on the motors which cause the gimbal to not work accordingly. However, I will send you the setting later on tonight when I get back on my home computer. Hope it will help you out!

DiscoTuna
9th October 2013, 04:05 AM
Anything wrong with the settings link i sent you? - they are the standard, TBS prescribed ones and the ones most people will have in their machines. I have them in mine and all is working well.

but never mind,
Thanks ,
Mark.

MattJ
9th October 2013, 04:14 AM
Mark I feel your pain, my disco is down due to a transmitter problem but bide your time and people on here will help you.
I know there seems to be a big problems with the gimbal, it seems that it either works perfectly or not at all.
The problems I have got on min which I can't see. To rectify it that it sits 5* or so to the left! but after recall ration it doesn't work.

On the PID Controller I have
Roll: p=12 I=0.1 d=9
Pitch: p=14 I=0.1 d=9

Motor calibration
Roll: power=175 invert=ticked poles=14
Pitch: power=135 invert=not ticked poles=14

Fc gain = 0 for both pitch and roll

Hope it helps

mark logan
9th October 2013, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the link.
i did try them but still no luck on the pitch side of the gimbal, I'm getting power to the motor and it resists movement by hand but that's about all.
thanks,
Regards,
Mark.

mark logan
9th October 2013, 06:30 AM
Hi there,
Can you please confirm to me that the IMU unit is only a through unit for the go pro power and video and does not have any function for the correct opperation of the tbs gimbal ie giros on the board?
Kind regards,
Mark.

DiscoTuna
9th October 2013, 06:56 AM
It is integral to the operation of the gimbal - the sensor that determines whether it is level or not - arguably its most important part..

Hi there,
Can you please confirm to me that the IMU unit is only a through unit for the go pro power and video and does not have any function for the correct opperation of the tbs gimbal ie giros on the board?
Kind regards,
Mark.

DiscoTuna
9th October 2013, 06:58 AM
For instance - when you do some of the major calibrations of the unit you shift the gimbal into various positions - it determines the position of the gimbal during this activity via the info from the IMU

Charles Edwards
16th October 2013, 10:17 PM
My issue is that I was jacking around with the settings and then decided to hit the use default setting button on the bottom left thinking that it would just return me back to the original box settings. Now my gimbal just sits and bounces hard to the right with no response to input from the radio. Please help me with the reloading of the factory settings. I have tried using the above file that was put out on this thread but was unable to get the profile to load into the sbgc software.... Please walk me me through the steps to get this thing back up and running! It was awesome till I thought I would mess with the settings...

mark logan
17th October 2013, 07:28 AM
Hi there,
I managed to reset my pro by coppying all the peramiters from the tbs discovery gimbal PDF build instructions
this appears to have worked BUT only in roll and it is dead quiet, i have not quite figured out about the pitch yet!
I think were all guilty of " if it aint broke dont fix it " ...... WE ALL ARE at some point, no matter what anyone says
i also thought that the RESET did just that.
ill try to help more if i can but try the above first.
i hope it helps

ghawkins
1st November 2013, 07:16 AM
My gimbal also makes a horrendous high pitch squeek that can be heard throughout the house, but only on profile 2. Profile 1 is the silent frequency. Profile 2 is selected automatically only when you turn on the motors and start taking off.

Are you guys saying this high pitch sound (really loud, it hurts my ears) is not normal on Profile2?

For some reason I can not get these profiles to work properly when I upgraded the firmware of SimpleBGC to 2.2b2. I reverted to 2.1 and everything works okay.

EDIT: mark logan, I noticed from your video you are using 2.2b2. If you downgrade the firmware (using Xloader) to 2.1 and select Profile 1, then choose the High (Silent) frequency, and click Write. You will find that the high pitched noise will disappear. I'm still waiting for someone to explain if there's something wrong with 2.2b2. Let me know if it works!

Hi im getting this same squeal in 2.2b2 aswell, so is the answer to go back to 2.1?
I have sorted this issue now. I had profile two selected for low throttle in simplebgc

Barken
3rd November 2013, 12:49 PM
Hey guys, I'm building my Pro but I've ran into a snag. I got it all put together, and been flying it around a bit without any trouble (without gimbal). I attached the gimbal and now my I'm running into problems. The quad gives the proper warm up lights, GPS locks, motors arm and spin up, but the gimbal just shutters, never calibrates or stops moving, and the OSD/vTX keep rebooting. (tearing of colors, goes to black, flicks back on, text pops up, goes to black, rinse and repeat..) Once this power cycling starts, the Naza LED module flashes the mode color followed by 2 red flashes (my guess is it's showing the GPS signal over and over) but doesn't show the initial start up light sequence. Anyone have any idea what's going on? I'm using the Naza M with the latest firmware and Futaba 8FG TX using PPM. I'm also having issues getting the SimpleBGC software to run on my computer, is there a 32 bit version available? I've had no luck in finding one.

Jskeith111
30th January 2014, 08:30 PM
Can someone help me? I plugged in my gimbal usb on the board to simple bgc and found out I had the wrong version. I deleted 2.3 or whatever it was and downloaded 2.1. I connected my gimbal and now it is making this high pitch noise and it is shaking. What do I do? I'm a noob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRnWirVgLEo

PS: This is shortly after I plugged in the battery. I couldn't video and plug in the battery at the same time so I started the video after I plugged it in.

ghawkins
30th January 2014, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=Jskeith111;429435]Can someone help me? I plugged in my gimbal usb on the board to simple bgc and found out I had the wrong version. I deleted 2.3 or whatever it was and downloaded 2.1. I connected my gimbal and now it is making this high pitch noise and it is shaking. What do I do? I'm a noob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRnWirVgLEo[have you got the profiles 1 and 2? load them and write them to gimbal.
http://team-blacksheep.freshdesk.com/support/articles/156127-reset-your-gimbal-into-factory-default

Jskeith111
30th January 2014, 08:38 PM
I don't have either of those profiles. That might be the issue. Should I load and write both?

Jskeith111
30th January 2014, 08:56 PM
I saved Profiles 1 and 2. I clicked "write" for profile one. The squealing is gone but now the gimbal is twitching all the way on the left side (roll). I tried pressing the Gimbal Cal. button and it released the motors but it just rolled back to the left and began twitching again.

ghawkins
30th January 2014, 08:56 PM
yes load the two gimbal profiles and write them, then calibrate the gyro etc then use profile 1 (low noise for take off) to the first slot and profile 2 into slot 2 and 3 (high noise for flight, works off your throttle)

ghawkins
30th January 2014, 09:03 PM
do the calibration with the software. there are two types of calibration on there. try that. ive had the same problem before took awhile to figure out and im at work at the mo..

ghawkins
30th January 2014, 09:05 PM
have a read of the TBS discovery manual there is a good section in there on resetting as well

Jskeith111
30th January 2014, 09:15 PM
I only used profile 1 because profile 2 was giving me that high pitch squeal. I calibrated the ACC and gyro and it seems to be working now. Thanks guys. Can anyone direct me or help me with setting up the camera pitch via ppm and camera switcher via ch. 8 on ezuhf?

ghawkins
30th January 2014, 09:28 PM
yes that is normal for profile to be a high pitch squeal. it is actually more precise in profile 2 but they have made profile 1 while its on the ground so it doesn't hurt your pet dogs ears etc.
I use PWM for my pitch and roll so cant help there.
camera switching is set up in the core's osd. enter osd, go to camera and change to switch.. and you done. there is a little plug that goes from you gopro to the gimbal that is used for your gopro feed.. your done

Jskeith111
31st January 2014, 11:48 AM
yes that is normal for profile to be a high pitch squeal. it is actually more precise in profile 2 but they have made profile 1 while its on the ground so it doesn't hurt your pet dogs ears etc.
I use PWM for my pitch and roll so cant help there.
camera switching is set up in the core's osd. enter osd, go to camera and change to switch.. and you done. there is a little plug that goes from you gopro to the gimbal that is used for your gopro feed.. your done

I'm talking about being able to switch the camera feed on my fatsharks from the FPV cam to what the GoPro is viewing whilst flying. Is this what you are talking about?

Jskeith111
31st January 2014, 04:59 PM
Or can anyone help me with this. I can't point the camera all the way down without it twitching. I've checked and made sure all of the wires are out of the way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkfaD4rmJEE

ghawkins
1st February 2014, 04:05 AM
I'm talking about being able to switch the camera feed on my fatsharks from the FPV cam to what the GoPro is viewing whilst flying. Is this what you are talking about?
yes you need to put a servo cable from camera switch header to a spare channel on rx and assign a switch
the go into the osd menu and go to camera in the settings and change to switch. your done

Jskeith111
1st February 2014, 11:10 PM
yes you need to put a servo cable from camera switch header to a spare channel on rx and assign a switch
the go into the osd menu and go to camera in the settings and change to switch. your done

Got it. Thanks1