PDA

View Full Version : FE 360 Pan Tilt kit now available

FliteEvolution
18th September 2013, 07:49 PM
After lots of testing and trial and error, we now have a pan/tilt kit which we are very comfortable in promoting and selling. We will still offer our 180 degree ball bearing pan kit with this tilt option and box for people who want it.

http://fliteevolution.com/product/fe-360-pan-tilt-kit/

Kit includes:

GoPro and flight camera box with pan tilt mechanism

GWS 360 degree pan servo

Hitec metal gear Tilt servo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffTOIts2uv4

SecretSpy711
19th September 2013, 01:51 AM
I bought a similar unit a couple months ago (it looks *exactly* the same in fact) but found it to be too wobbly since it was entirely supported by the pan servo spline. How'd you get it to be stable?

FliteEvolution
19th September 2013, 09:21 AM
It's been stable for us. If you're worried about stability, we sell the ball bearing pan mount which allows for zero play, however we have to use a 180 servo with it.

Keith
19th September 2013, 02:54 PM
This is the one cut by CRD right? I've got a couple here but haven't flown one yet. I built one, one is still in the bag... lol

SecretSpy711
19th September 2013, 03:48 PM
Here's a video from the one I had in July. Not "FE" brand but I believe it to be the same unit with the same GWS pan servo (I'm intentionally not saying the name here because I assume you've worked out a deal with the original designer... Keith almost got the name right, and it's his videos that led me to research and buy one). I cant remember which tilt servo I used, maybe that's where the shaking came from. I should try mounting it to my Ian-style supported pan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2drdJ2DxI4

Keith
20th September 2013, 03:03 AM
...(I'm intentionally not saying the name here because I assume you've worked out a deal with the original designer... Keith almost got the name right, and it's his videos that led me to research and buy one)...

CRD is his username on RCG. I don't think it's a secret he makes the pan/tilts, he advertises them on RCG. ;) He sells just the raw plastic bits though as far as I know, not a completed, built unit.

heinduplessis
26th September 2013, 05:40 AM
Hi Vitamin J - isn't the flight cam up there picking up a lot of wind? I'm worried it will create a lot of drag & reduce flight times. Is there any version that has the flight cam next to the gopro?

Derrick
26th September 2013, 02:30 PM
Hi Vitamin J - isn't the flight cam up there picking up a lot of wind? I'm worried it will create a lot of drag & reduce flight times. Is there any version that has the flight cam next to the gopro?

There is a side by side mount, not sure if FE stocks this. The stacked mount is really nice... this allows you to look over the fuselage/behind the plane.

Yeah it probably is but there's not really a way to get around it if you want both a GP and a flight cam on the same p&t. Frontal area is frontal area. I think there are two models; side by side and stacked on top.

VJ is correct here, frontal area is frontal area, the drag will be nearly the same if not identical. Theoretically speaking the side by side would be slightly less draggy due to boundary layer effects, but it really is not going to be noticeable.

FliteEvolution
26th September 2013, 06:24 PM

We sell the side mount camera box as well. We'll have a picture of it shortly but for now it can be ordered just by informing us via the site or email.

Clay

heinduplessis
27th September 2013, 10:22 AM
How do I contact FE? I have a trinity in the post, and I'd like to order this, but I'm told there's a version available with the flight cam NEXT to the GoPro. I'm not getting a response from the web form I submitted, nor the Youtube comment.

FliteEvolution
27th September 2013, 11:38 AM
We'll be releasing a smaller ball bearing pan mount as well next week.

FliteEvolution
27th September 2013, 11:47 AM
How do I contact FE? I have a trinity in the post, and I'd like to order this, but I'm told there's a version available with the flight cam NEXT to the GoPro. I'm not getting a response from the web form I submitted, nor the Youtube comment.

Email or call us via our website. You can just order the kit and we'll include the side mount per your request.

Clay

heinduplessis
27th September 2013, 03:07 PM
Order placed! Thank you!

heinduplessis
27th September 2013, 03:10 PM
There is a side by side mount, not sure if FE stocks this. The stacked mount is really nice... this allows you to look over the fuselage/behind the plane. Darn... didn't consider this... makes sense..

VJ is correct here, frontal area is frontal area, the drag will be nearly the same if not identical. Theoretically speaking the side by side would be slightly less draggy due to boundary layer effects, but it really is not going to be noticeable.My theory is (was) the GoPro area is in the slipstream of the fuse, where the upper cam sticks out right in the wind.

JohnVH
2nd October 2013, 11:55 AM
cool

Derrick
2nd October 2013, 11:59 AM
My theory is (was) the GoPro area is in the slipstream of the fuse, where the upper cam sticks out right in the wind.

Your thinking is correct... slipstream = boundary layer

Mroizo01
10th October 2013, 09:12 PM
when flying in the higher end of the throttle range how does the mount hold up ? just curious if there is any jitter since there would be a fair bit of wind pushing it back

heinduplessis
14th October 2013, 05:06 PM
Received mine, building it now!

Edit: 109 grams... bit heavy, but solid pan servo.

FliteEvolution
14th October 2013, 08:15 PM
when flying in the higher end of the throttle range how does the mount hold up ? just curious if there is any jitter since there would be a fair bit of wind pushing it back

I would say most of us fly in the "higher end of the throttle range" and it works great. We've come up with this package due the demands of the industry, flyers and different platforms. The connection to the 360 servo uses the OEM horn so it isn't as solid as our Ball Bearing Pan Kit but it does work well if you really want 360 degree pan.

heinduplessis
16th October 2013, 04:37 PM
Assembled and installed (excuse the catastrophic work area):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUGq1pQ5U4A

How to attach the gopro securely? I installed some foam inside to press against, whilst using rubber bands.

Some pre-flight comments:
- Overall construction solid, professional and accurate
- The holes of the bit attaching to the tilt servo cross-arm does not align perfectly over the servo arm holes.
- It's not clear how to hinge the left of the tilt bracket - I just screwed it in, seems to move freely, not sure for how long..
- The hitec servo cable is 10mm too short for comfort - but I suppose soldering is a FPV'ers lot
- The GWS servo winch wheel's inner hub does not fit the hole made for it at the bottom of the pan bracket - some filing of the nylon was required
- The GWS servo is very noisy. I destroyed my video when using the same power, so I had to place it on the separate power rail

Thanks for an awesome product.

Now if that trinity head tracker would just show up...

heinduplessis
28th October 2013, 04:19 PM
Just a quick thanks to FE for taking my FPV to the lext level ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHLOEx4cuCI

Any idea how I can reduce jitter in the GWS servo?

JohnVH
28th October 2013, 04:27 PM
wow, thats a sweet flight. wish my SW was that stable

FliteEvolution
28th October 2013, 05:36 PM
Just a quick thanks to FE for taking my FPV to the lext level ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHLOEx4cuCI

Any idea how I can reduce jitter in the GWS servo?

Nice video. I'd say that's closer to Jello rather than Jitter. Here's a few things to check:

Vibration dampening on the motor mount
Balanced prop
Foam between the Gopro and our case
Rubber bands to hold Gopro in. Maybe try velco strap also.
Ensure canopy is tight on Fuselage.

Clay

heinduplessis
28th October 2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks, I'm aware of the jello - new prop, didn't balance it properly before flight, should be better now.

You can see right at the end, after landing, there's a slight shudder. 50% of the time the GWS buzzes and has a slight shudder.

blakemorar
30th October 2013, 07:58 AM
heinduplessis:
Def more like jello.

Any headway getting that out? The pan tilt concept is one of the coolest concepts in Fpv especially when combined with hd footage. As clay mentioned, there are several factors that contribute to jello and jitters. If/when you can get it smooth, then you really have something special. My ultimate quest in Fpv is getting stable video. What I have learned is that you don't quit maintaining it. I have had limited success with it. Don't ever quit balancing the prop. A 12 inch prop isn't easy either. Pan isn't a bad way to go either with the GP slightly adjusted downward. I am committed to getting that stable video. The skyhunter is a super airframe to work from. FE does a great job with a RTF version. My name is Blake and I am addicted to FPV.

heinduplessis
30th October 2013, 08:02 AM
The jello is sorted, was a quick apply of tape to one side of the prop and it's running smoothly.

When I'm on the ground, watching the mount, I can see it jitters, shaking the camera very subtly, but enough to blurr the HD recording.

Not sure what the cause is, could be RF interference or my radio not having a high enough resolution.

blakemorar
30th October 2013, 08:07 AM
Would you mind posting a quick video of it (on the ground)?

The jello is sorted, was a quick apply of tape to one side of the prop and it's running smoothly.

When I'm on the ground, watching the mount, I can see it jitters, shaking the camera very subtly, but enough to blurr the HD recording.

Not sure what the cause is, could be RF interference or my radio not having a high enough resolution.

heinduplessis
30th October 2013, 08:08 AM
Yes, will try to do a little later, working at the moment, thanks.

heinduplessis
18th December 2013, 08:51 AM
I still have the jitter issue, I've switched the stock Hitec with a digital servo (no jitter, but low resolution and weak), a htx900 servo (no jitter, but very weak) a turnigy mg servo (slight jitter, but very jumpy when tilting).

Video from the digital servo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9-G9sFkqLM

Here's my video illustrating the jitter of the stock HT servo - you'll notice the jitter disappears as soon as I turn of the tx.

Please excuse the crude video and hand signals...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi-l1ny75DY

I'm considering this servo now: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8760__turnigy_380max_micro_servo_metal_gear_4_1k g_16sec_17_4g.html

I can't figure out if it will fit?

Any help appreciated!

blakemorar
18th December 2013, 09:24 AM
Cxn design came out with their version 2. Better design jitters gone. Balance your prop well and you will forget the challenges of jitters. Be sure to ask Carlos which servo fits the design. He sold me one with the kit for 5-10 bucks. It is a metal gear servo. I have been very pleased. Flite evolution may be stocking them by now. Have a look. You will be happy with his new design. Thank goodness to have those particular challenges behind me.

heinduplessis
18th December 2013, 09:26 AM
If you look at the video, these jitters occur on the ground without the prop running. But yea, it's a challenge. You don't perhaps have a link to that servo?? I'll check out the new design, but I'm otherwise happy with this mount.

Edit: I see the new design has the tilt on the CG of the GoPro, which is much better, and almost any servo will produce jitter free results. The design I have is constantly straining. I'm thinking of attaching a rubber band to help out :/

I wonder if FE or CXN will give me a slight discount on the new design... ?

blakemorar
18th December 2013, 09:34 AM
I was using the hitek's for pan and tilt. Now, I am using the GWS for pan and the turnigy for tilt. Don't know the number tho. Carlos at cxn will know and is very willing to help.

heinduplessis
18th December 2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks will ask him.

FliteEvolution
18th December 2013, 06:05 PM
I'm testing the new V2 Pan Tilt kit as we speak. I still like the HS65MG servo on it for tilt but don't have enough "in-flight" data yet. The HS65 is a bit shorter than the Turnigy which CXN recommends and pulls the pan mount arms together. I don't think it's going to be an issue and if it is, a small spacer or washer will suffice.

This V2 will be available on our site shortly. It is a nice setup with the extra lateral support for the pan servo and camera mount. The only problem is it's big and wide with much more drag. You at least now have 4 options for a Pan Tilt depending on your usage and platform:

1. Micro 180 BB pan tilt kit
2. Standard 180 BB pan tilt kit
3. 360 V1 pan tilt kit
4. 360 V2 pan tilt kit

Clay

Keith
19th December 2013, 12:23 AM
...I'm considering this servo now: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8760__turnigy_380max_micro_servo_metal_gear_4_1k g_16sec_17_4g.html

I can't figure out if it will fit?

Any help appreciated!

I have one of the first designs like these pan/tilts, the first one CXN sold before FE carried them. If it's the same, then no, the 380MAX servo won't fit. It's too large. (about 23x14mm not counting the mounting tabs) I have that servo mounted on my RMRC wooden pan/tilt, but I had to cut away a bit of wood for it to fit. It's a smooth servo for tilt, but it is a bit large.

I still haven't flown the pan/tilt like these, I was supposed to mount it on my Skywalker but never got around to it... I'll keep an eye out to see if you're able to find a good tilt servo for it! ;)

only20gp
29th September 2014, 01:30 PM
hi, i bought this about 4 days ago but havent yet received any communication from you. Do you send out shipping info or anything like that? sorry, i tried using the contact email but kept getting delivery failures.

only20gp
5th December 2014, 04:31 AM
Ordered September 25th and now its December 5th. 3 months waiting for an small package I paid 50$ for shipping thinking id get it in 4-5 days. Man, please send me what I paid for or refund my money.