PDA

View Full Version : Need help with wiring.

btown2
26th July 2013, 07:08 PM
I decided to switch to a 12v camera. I found (attached) a basic wiring guide on google. I wired my system up the same way. When i applied battery the tx started to get hot and there was no video or led. I unplugged the battery. the TX smelled a little, but there was no smoke. May be burned out, may not be. Attached is a picture of my wiring. I would be grateful for any assistance you can provide.

Thanks

swillhide
26th July 2013, 07:16 PM
Can you peel away the tape or what ever it is coming off your Cam to the 5 wires to the Vtx. everything else looks correct.

btown2
26th July 2013, 07:19 PM
Can you peel away the tape or what ever it is coming off your Cam to the 5 wires to the Vtx. everything else looks correct.

****. you're right. they shorted underneath the tape. god damn im a dumbass.

swillhide
26th July 2013, 07:22 PM
Small possibility that the tx will still work. Clean it up and try again, If I am right then you only toasted the power out to the cam from the vtx and not the whole thing. BUT when you let the magic smoke out of them it doesnt always turn out good.

Sent from under the goggles.

btown2
26th July 2013, 07:31 PM
well it does still work. Glad I got it disconnected before i let the magic smoke out.Thanks Swillhide.

swillhide
26th July 2013, 07:32 PM
Wahoo! Time to go fly grasshopper. Next time invest in some shrinktubing, tape is not fun.

Scotttu
26th July 2013, 10:24 PM
Path of least resistance, so if you create a short outside of your TX your TX never saw any voltage, thus no harm done to the TX.

In fact unless something was in series, should be zero damage of any kind.

However I have experienced 12v on a 5v Vtx - instant POOF..........but my dumb ass did it 3 times in a row until I realized I wired the OSD backwards :D :D